fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by oldboots (4/3/06 8:27 AM) reply + / -
This is driving me nuts. No one seems to know what this 6A00 error means. My lights are flashing green orange 11 times. I'm told to send it back. I want this printer as the new ones have new little print heads on the cartridges(nasty). I can't use my own cartridges.

Any help here really appreciated! Boots

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Techone (4/3/06 10:31 AM) reply+1 + / -
There is a prblem with the carriage lift mechanism.
Probale causes
1.PR Lift shaft assembly
2.Sheet Feed Unit
3.Logic Board
Only your local Canon Dealer will know for sure!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by inkjetonline (8/31/06 1:50 AM) reply+1 + / -
You may or may not find this usefull.

I thnk the 6A00 is a mechanism jam code.

Regarding Error code 6A00. I have a Canon Pixma iP5000. I got that code. No easy answers on the net so I took it apart myself. The covers are all snap locked on. It was a bit painful but I got the side and top covers off to reveal the print head. There is a device that slides back n forth and acts like a window cleaners squeegie on the printhead. This mechanism seemed to be stuck at its full extention rather than being back at home base. Every time I turned it on and off I could see it tried to move but seemed to be stuck. I gave it a little assistance and that released it. I think it had become glugged up with drying ink and that had acted like a glue holding it out at full extension. The mechanism that drives the sliding squeegie relies on a spring
for it to return. The spring wasn't strong enough to over come the gluey ink and so the whole thing jammed up which is probably what the code means - jammed mechanism. If you are going to try it. Do not force any part of the covers. There are little arrows in the plastic indicating where the snap locks are, stick a flat head screw driver in to release. Trial and error will release the right ones first. You'll release one part only to find it hooked up at the next snap lock. Some are hidden under or on opening covers so keep looking. The base seems to be securly attached to the workings so dont try and get it off. Just top and sides. Ink is water based so a damp rag is all you need to clean. If youre not technically minded dont bother.

Dave

http://www.inkjetonline.com.au

Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by iljasan (9/26/06 12:13 AM) reply + / -
I had similar problem on my Pixma MP760. It happened after I wasn't using the printer for quite some time - couple month, while cartridges were inserted. Fortunately, when this printer is off the printer head can be slit sidevise freely by hand which alow esy access to the mentioned cleaner sponge tab located below the head in its docking position. There was no need for disassembly or using the tools. The simptoms were the very same - it was apparent the tab wants to move but it's stuck. Just gentle push by finger from the top released it and problem was fixed. Printer started up without further error message and works fine since then.

iljasan

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by brendan-j (9/29/06 9:05 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to you all - I investigated this on my Pixma IP6600D and it turns out there was a tiny piece of paper jamming up a sliding mechanism - 'squeegie', whatever. It was on the right side and visible/accessible when I'd moved the print head to the left and shone a light down into the right-side of the guts of the thing. I pushed the white mechanism towards the back of the printer along it's track and out popped a tiny wad of paper.
You'll know you're close when you get ink all over your fingers and wonder if you're touching something you're not supposed to :)

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Galf (10/22/06 2:26 AM) reply + / -
I had this error (6A00) on a MP760 after a couple of months of not using it.

I switched it off, opened the lid and manually slid the cartridge-tray to the left.

Then I used a piece of tissue to clean the base-pad where the heads are stored. It turned out to be stuck in a kind of upward position and somehow the mechanism that moves the tray is released so nothing happens when you switch on the printer.

Touching it snapped it loose. Remove all ink residue, move the tray back to its most right position and close everything.

Voila, problem solved!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by p_l (10/29/06 5:53 PM) reply + / -
Same thing happened with my iP300. No need to take it apart. After switching it off, opening the lid and manually sliding the cartridge-tray to the left, as Galf says, just gently degunking the base pad with a little isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip and easing the mechanism back did it. Started up fine after that.

canon Pixma MP780 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (11/25/06 1:22 AM) reply + / -
I received this error code on my PIXMA MP780 and after reading the postings here I elected to remove the cover of my printer. I noticed my print head was not moving freely .... Moving the heads back and forward didn't help me. Using the alcohol and Qtips cleaning the little windsheld mechanism and the mechanical printer parts surrounding the windsheld.... The plugging and unplug of the printer power allowed the print heads to adjust and then began to cycle properly... Long print times between printer usage is what I think caused this problem ... As this printer is lucky to be used once a month... Thanks!

Re: canon Pixma MP760 by mayliz (12/21/06 5:41 PM) reply + / -
Error message tells me I have a paper Jam to open the back cover and remove the paper and click ok.
There is no paper jam at all,but it repeats the message over and over and will not move, is there anyone out there who can advise me, It was a retirement present one year ago to-day I had no reciept but the warranty would just be finished any-way.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/26/06 5:33 AM) reply + / -
Hello to you all,
I had the same problem and was able to solve it.
IP40000 6A00 error and green and orange blinking for 12 times.
Open the top of the printer, move the ink-cartriges to the left.
Look in the openening you get.
You wil see white plate with two transparant guides on this.
do not thouch the transparant guide plate
On the most right white arm push a little downwards with a pencil or a plastic pin.
May be you have to push on the grove a little more to the back .
You will see that the plate will move a very little and this obstruction for moving the cartriges and rollers is gone.
I did not get an official note from Canon about this.
Good luck.
Bert

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/13/07 6:22 PM) reply + / -
All the above sounds great, except that my ink carriage wouldn't move to the left. Followed suggestion by inkjetonline above. Removed end panels and top panel. The white piece at the right that slides back to front was stuck to the pad where the printhead is stored, and the "squeegee" was keeping the carriage from moving left to right. Pressed lightly with a flat blade screwdriver and it freed right up. Cleaned up some excess ink and reassembled the printer.

Thanks inkjetonline!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by bspisak (1/16/07 2:27 PM) reply + / -
Had the same problem with my Canon Pixma iP4000:

- Service Error 6A00
- 12 flashes alternating orange green
- AP Position Error

My problem was similar to what injetonline said above as well as anonymous on 12/26/06 5:33 AM. However, mine was still getting stuck after I cleaned it. The problem was the little black ink pad tray (which the heads park on) was not moving down out of the way and the white squeegy thingy was getting stuck on it.

After disassembling the printer, I found what was apparently the return spring and the broken plastic clip that it used to attach to. I couldn't tell where it used to attach to, but it was obvious the only thing pulling the tray down was gravity and that was not enough.

The simple solution I found was to use a thin rubber band to replace the spring. I girth hitched one end on to the bottom of the tray in the middle between the hoses that drain the tray. The other end I just looped onto a tab sticking out of the bottom of the chassis. Easy and works like a charm!

To disassemble your printer, visit this link:
http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/Canon_IP4000.htm

You can also get the manual from there as well. If you also want the parts catalog and some other service docs (it will cost you $10), visit this link:
http://www.2manuals.com

I wouldn't bother with the manuals and the docs, there not very helpful, but interesting nonetheless.

Good luck!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by djfunkie (1/25/07 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Oh my god, you guys are diamonds. I was quoated £60 for this problem to be fixed and i just slightly moved the thing that moves when you turn it on and of course it was the ink that was dryed up and now my printer is working again.
I cant belive canon didnt tell me that! So much for customers services and once again thank you to everyone and the makers of this excellent helpful site!!!!

Very happy! :)

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Jessi Mitchell (1/27/07 8:06 PM) reply + / -
I tried this on my Pixma iP6600D after getting error 6A00 and it WORKED GREAT.....with ink on my fingers and all!!...would have been nice for Canon to just flash PAPER JAM on the display, but whats the fun in making an easy to fix product!...thanks for the help!

Re: canon Pixma MP950 error - 6A00 by venetsian (1/29/07 7:04 AM) reply + / -
Ha ha ha .. So easy to fix. Thank you all!

Canon Pixima MP950

I just had to push the heads so I can have access to the cleaning mechanism and with a pencil i pushed it down to the right place and restarted the printer! Now it works fine!

Cheers to all,

Venetsian

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP950 error - 6A00 by tjohn (1/29/07 8:21 PM) reply + / -
Wish it was that easy on my MP780. I have pushed and poked and cleaned without luck. Can't anyone make a reliable printer?

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/30/07 7:31 PM) reply + / -
i have tried all of the above but nothing is working. i have a big science proj and when i really needed a printer my canon pixma ip4000 dies on me. any other solutions?

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Val J (2/7/07 4:49 PM) reply + / -
Wow....my husband's MP780 stopped working today - was making a loud clacking noise and the ink cartridge carriage was not moving when opened. He went out to Best Buy to buy a new one and I got busy on the internet and found this thread. 10 minutes and ten black fingers later - it worked!!!! I love the internet - thank you everyone!! Guess the new one's going back!

By the way, what helped me understand where to look was the different ways people described the problem...it really did take a village!

Thanks for saving us a couple of hundred bucks!

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/10/07 6:42 AM) reply + / -
We had the same problem. We were able to get the wad of paper out by pushing the print head to the left manually and grabbing the wad of paper with a long tweezers.
SOOO glad you all are around giving advice. Thanks!

Re: canon Pixma ip3000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/13/07 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Following your instructions here, i moved the ink cartridges until they were far left and then pulled the power cable out of the back.

This leaves everything mentioned above on display, and then I could see that a small thin slither of paper was jammed up in the white plastic area on the far right - removed with a set of tweezers, turned on and all okay.

Thank you to everyone and the makers of this excellent helpful site!!!!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip3000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/18/07 5:57 PM) reply + / -
Great tip! This fixed my IP3000 as well. Took 30 seconds once I knew what to try.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Squizzle (2/19/07 3:34 AM) reply + / -
Thanks everyone! I had just read a review on cnet for a canon with lots of user comments saying they had this problem (or similar) and had to throw it away. Depressed at the prospect, Persistent me, I searched again and found this thread. I love GOOGLE! Now I get an error message saying that I need a new cartridge :|

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 by Anonymous (2/21/07 11:09 PM) reply + / -
A bit late but useful info anyway.

Hi, first thing I would do is give it good blow out with an air compressor or similar. Concentrating around the hinges of the cover. There are light sensitive switches used in these areas and dust or paper can cause a constant signal.

Failing that it could be a mechanical failure of a lever connected to a switch that tells the machine if the cover is open or not. The mechanism is usually a tiny lever that is either connected to a push button type switch or a light sensor type switch. The first thing I'd be doing is looking for the lever. It will be somewhere very close to the hinges of the cover. If you can see it you can also see if its doing its job by opening and closing the cover and watching to see if its moving as well. If it is and its still not working be sure to try the first suggestion. These levers are small and easily displaced. Removing a paper jam could have caused it in the first place, especially if the paper tore and you had bits every where. With care you can put it back. But I stress with care. Don't force anything. A small paper clip will do it. You will have to figure out where the lever belongs and lift it back in place. Its not easy and they are usually in difficult places but it can be done.

Hope that helps

David

http://www.inkjetonline.com.au

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Craig L (2/22/07 9:43 AM) reply + / -
Used these instructions as a basis to fixing this error on our Pixma IP 6600D. THe "squeegee" mechanism was not readily noticeable when moving the head to the left on ours, it was to the right behind the front right casing. A spring-loaded white slide on the bottom had to be pushed back before seeing the paper that was stuck there.

I got most of the panels off, but never could figure out how to remove the front grey panel by the data ports so I spent some quality time with a screw-driver fishing it out. After doing that and putting it all back together, problem solved.

Thank you guys so much.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (3/5/07 4:34 PM) reply + / -
Worked perfectly fine with my 4300 !!!!

THX !!!

Martin / Ireland

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by raven98030 (3/9/07 12:41 AM) reply + / -
Thanks people reading the post and going back looking at my Canon Pixma MP780 and I all so was getting error - 6A00 just realizing the printer think it is a paper jam I mass with the back of the paper feed and it is working on thanks

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by hawaii (3/31/07 1:56 PM) reply + / -
I took my ip3000 print head out last night to clean it. Couldn't remove the screws so I just cleaned the whole unit with extremely hot water until no more ink was in it, and dried it out. Reinstalled and had this error for the print head.

Found this page and then found some strange little square of plaastic paper stuck in the white roller mechanism. I pulled it out and presto, the problem was fixed!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by lisai (4/20/07 5:12 AM) reply + / -
I just bought a computer (Mac) and a iP5000 for $200NZ. Computer worked fine and printer had that 6A00 error. Looked it up on the net and bingo. Fixed. Will keep a note about this website as you guys are all fantastic. Didn't have to pull it apart just kept reading this page until I found the problem. Just a stuck little thingy.
Woo hoo. Thanks again.
Lisa

Canon Pixma MP500 - 6A00 A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! by Sarabkn (4/23/07 2:31 PM) reply + / -
I have a Canon Pixma MP500 and I got the 6A00 error. Thank you guys so much for the help...very easy fix. When I moved the cartriges to the left that white thing attached to the spring underneath was stuck. I just pushed it toward the back of the printer and cleaned underneath it....LOTS of ink. It works great now. Canon should mention this in their manual and have it as one of the maintenance options that you can do. But hey of this was the case then they wouldn't make their $60 to fix the problem. A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! Lol.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by xela (5/8/07 1:33 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, was having huge problems with my IP4000, I use it all the time and its never not used for more than a couple of days. I went to use it the other day turned it on and had the dreaded orange flashing.

Gave the white thing a little nudge, it moved, turned it back on and alls ok again!

Re: canon Pixma ip6600 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (5/8/07 11:38 AM) reply + / -
Hello Can anyone help me?

I tried all the above tips, but the IP6600 still flashes orange and green lights, with Eror code 6A00 ???
This is a brand new printer so no ink to clean up?
Cheers
Barry

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 - cartridge leak by Sam Burgess (5/15/07 2:47 AM) reply + / -
My i4000 has functioned faultlessly for several years.
Last time I had to replace an ink cartridge there was a problem.
In replacing the Magenta cartridge with a new cartridge the ink contents rapidly emptied completely.
I then replaced the empty cartridge with another new cartridge.
Again the ink rapidly emptied.
The only noticeable effect was that some of the 'leaking' ink invaded the sockets of the co-located cartridges which I cleaned up using absorbent paper.
No ink appeared under the machine.

? What is wrong or more probably What did I do wrong.
? What must I do to correct the problem.

Frank advice appreciated.
Sam Burgess

Good posting - fixed Error code A600 problem by Karl in Tampa (6/9/07 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the thread! My IP4200 kept blinking 12 times and much to my dismay Troubleshooting lists reasons for blinks but (of course)skips the 12 count. But, based on inkjetonline's post, I reached in and pulled the rubber catepiller tread which pulls the print head, turned it back on and viola! the print head moved and the printer was fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Karl

Re: Good posting - fixed Error code A600 problem by BAB (6/10/07 5:33 AM) reply + / -
you may have freed the carriage assembly but not fixed the problem, only temporally. The code A600 usually indicates a problem with the purge unit and most likey a jammed print head blotter. You need to look in the purge unit and see if there is a scrap of paper or any other foreign object visible. If there is, remove it or your problem is likely to return. Foreign object ex. screw, paperclip, paper scraps, pushpin, whatever.

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech

canon Pixma MP760 error by Anonymous (6/11/07 7:42 PM) reply+2 + / -
i have a canon pixma mp760 i bearly used it and recently i wanted to print but when i turned it on an error poppedsaying something like turn machine off and then on... i've done that many times, i've also follwed the error prompt on the internet canon website and i cant seem to fix it i dont know whats wrong with it its still new ive still got al the plaistic stickers around it and some of them orange tapes but sadly its almost two years old...lmao..please healp
p.s ive read about what you all wrote about pa little piece of paper which might be in the ink thingy but i have no clue what your talking about could you make it easier for me to understand

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Michael of Perth WA (6/26/07 11:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for all the help but to no avail! I prodded, poked, sweated, got covered in ink and nearly set my printer on fire by suicidally lighting matches to see inside the damned thing. Mind you, before discovering this site I had even gone to the trouble of reinstalling the printer drivers. I reckon the 'A' refers to what you'd find at the back of a Canon technicians bum.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jan18375 (7/11/07 11:03 PM) reply + / -
IP 4200 will this problem. Print head moves freely, so that not is problem. The Cyan cart. ran out ink at the time of this problem. Put new Cyan cart in same error message. Noticed new Cyan Cart. blinks even when I put it in a Yellow or Black cart. spot. Will sport for a new Cartridge and hopes that make printer happy, unless Cannon gives some good advise.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by rrrohan (7/12/07 12:20 AM) reply + / -
ip4000 is a swap out model, if its waranty you can take it back and get replacment, normaly a 4300 these days

Re: canon Pixma ip4300 error - 6A00 by bpbp00 (7/13/07 8:47 PM) reply + / -
Had a major problem with my original 4300 printhead (Printer #1). The red color was not printing, even with a new cartridge. They said it must be a bad printhead. It was still under warranty so Canon quickly sent me a full replacement (Printer #2). They sent me a complete unit with ink and printhead which was great since the old one had run out of ink. That saved me about $75.00 in new ink cartridges. Used the printer for about 3 weeks and had a different problem (I forget the error code). Called canon, went thru a few hoops and they said they would send me a replacement. I got the replacement 4300 (#3) from Canon today (sorry, no new ink or printhead). Got the 6A00 error when I started it up. Called Canon. Went through a few possible solutions and then they said they will send me another new printer (Printer # 4). Fine, I could wait 3 more days. Then I read this post and figured I would try to solve the problem. I opened the cover. The printhead was easily moved to the left. No lights on the ink tank were on or were blinking. I looked to the right side where the printhead seats itself. I saw a small white plastic thing-a-ma-jig with plastic strips sticking out of it. It is the printhead cleaner unit. I GENTLY put a screwdriver against the front edge and GENTLY pushed it 1/4" to the rear. Closed the cover and it works!!! Well, since Canon is sending me a new printhead with the replacement printer(and maybe new ink again- I hope), I think I'll just wait for the new one and ship 2 back to them. I see a lot of people bashing Canon, but as long as it's under warranty, they replace it quickly. They don't even ask for proof of purchase. They just ask when I bought it. I also have a Ip1700 which is another replacement from Canon for a Ip1600 that had a full waste tank error. They sent me the 1700 to replace the 1600 along with new in. Ain't America a great country???

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by btoups (7/16/07 6:46 PM) reply + / -
I have a i4000 purchased in November 04. It has worked very reliably since then. It has recently developed a problem I cannot figure out. When it is printing duplex (which I do a lot), it gets to the bottom of the page then seems to lose focus, so to speak. The green light (green only) blinks, as if it were waiting for data.

I tried uninstalling the printer driver (under xp) v1.80 and reinstalling. No change in behavior. I tried another usb connection, still no change. Any ideas?
Thanks
Brad

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by ddc292 (7/23/07 5:37 AM) reply + / -
I recently had the 6A00 message on a two-year-old Pixma ip5000.
Disappointing for a relatively expensive printer (here in the U.K.).

I read the threads with interest, particularly the advice from Bab on searching for foreign objects.

I found a molded nylon bar around 2 cms long under the "squeegie" unit. After some thought I replaced this bar in the rear-most part of the sqeegie where it acts as a keeper for one of the film wipers. I don't know how the bar became dislodged.

This did not fix the problem, since the dislodging process had resulted in the squeegie becoming jammed in a forward position and purge unit being depressed under the squeegie. The purge unit has two small nozzles and a sponge pad on it, and while depressed cannot act as a rest for the print heads.

A Canon engineer would have spotted this immediately, but I had to interpret the threads carefully before I pushed the sqeegie back to the rear, allowing the purge unit to pop up. This takes quite firm pressure.

Holding the squeegie back (allowing it to move if necessary) I switched the printer on - great whirrings and rattlings followed, but the purge unit and squeegie returned to their normal service positions and the printer now carries out its test and nozzle check routines OK.

Naturally, I'll be leaving Canon products on the shelf from now on.

Re Slow duplexing - by Anonymous (7/24/07 8:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi Brad, I too have experienced printers just hanging for seemingly no reason but to give me the $#its. But yours sounds like a normal function. Did you know that some machines will wait for the ink / print to dry before pushing out the page or duplexing? This to stop smudging etc caused by wet ink. This time can be changed by the owner in some cases but its best left at default settings.

If it hangs mid print its different - I never nailed the cause but my gut feeling on my printer hanging problem was 3 possible causes. A slow computer with inadequate RAM, Windows 95 and 98 (hated them) and finally a really bad printer design that I eventually gave up on and threw out with total contempt. Since Pentium 4's & Windows XP I have never had the problem again.

Good Luck

Dave

www.inkjetonline.com.au

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by tulips (8/1/07 12:52 PM) reply + / -
thanks for the advice!

I slide the ink cartridge to the left, stuck my hand in and pulled out a hair band- I have no idea how it got there.

Canon Pixma MP500 Error 6A00 by Anonymous (9/5/07 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Um... yea this message seems to mean that my machine died. I tried cleaning it out, messing with the ink cartridges... I just don't know. The printer is a year old with almost no use and taken perfect care of, and it just quit working. And the worst part is, this error seems to cripple the entire system, it won't let me print, it won't let me diagnose, it won't to shit.

I'm going to do a last ditch WD40 on the rail that the printer slides on since the printer head slides with a ton of resistance across it, I'll let you guys know what happens, but it doesn't look good.

And needless to say, this is crap and I'm never buying a Canon again.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by BAB (9/6/07 6:55 AM) reply + / -
A 6A00 is a purge unit error. Either jammed or stuck or has gone bad. Check your purge unit.

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (9/17/07 12:08 PM) reply + / -
thank you all, I found a piece of paper in there as well- Error code GONE! You were very helpful!

Re: canon Pixma MP760 by sletram (9/19/07 6:09 PM) reply + / -
Can anyone tell me why, all of a sudden, when I print whith my Pixma MP760 any document that as some red colors, the red comes out as yellow.

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 by Anonymous (9/19/07 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I think you have run out of magenta ink. Red requires almost 100% of yellow and magenta. Run of of magenta and you will only print yellow. You should of had a low ink warning though. The printhead may be blocked. Check the cartridge visually to see if its empty, if so change. If it still has ink do a print head clean.

Dont print with an empty cartridge, you'll ruin the printhead. Printhead cleaning is not the same as printing.

Should be fine.

Lets us know.

Cheers

David
www.inkjetonline.com.au

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 by Anonymous (9/19/07 8:41 PM) reply + / -
Hi David
Thank you very much for your help. I have changed my magenta cartridge evn though it still had some ink in it. I put a brand new one and did a printhead cleaning. Despite all of that it still prints the red as yellow.

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (10/5/07 1:32 AM) reply + / -
Absolutley banging, brought brand new printer, same message appeared first off. I tried what you suggested and it worked!

Cheers for the info

Re: canon Pixma MP 780 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (10/13/07 1:22 AM) reply + / -
It seemed like no advice from this site was going to work. I had tried moving the cartridge cover to the left with no success. However I eventually moved the cartridge cover to the left and found a little piece of foam like wadding under a loose spring on the right hand side. I gave this a clean with a cotton budd(q-tip) and it started working again. I hope this works for someone relse!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by inkdrinker (edited 10/15/07 2:20 AM) reply + / -
How can I get access to the purge unit of a Canon PIXMA iP5000 to find out if its bad or not, BAB? The purge unit is movable and now clean (I wiped off the ink with cotton sticks). But still I get the 6A00 error message.

inkdrinker

Re: Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 by Anonymous (10/15/07 5:27 PM) reply + / -
Re Red printing as yellow. Its mainly guess work now.

At worse you could have burnt out the magenta print nozzles. Using an inkjet printer that is out of ink is a bit like running a car without oil. It will over heat and burnout. It really doesn't take much. If this is the case you will need to get a replacement printhead from Canon. Nothing will fix it.

However I think the most likely cause is a blocked printhead that the printers cleaning system can't clear. You can take these printheads out quite easily. Remove cartridges, lift the cartridge locking cover and lift it out. Soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Then allow running water to fall directly onto the circular silver mesh points inside the printhead. Do this to 1 point at a time. If the water is getting through you will see the colour coming out. Obviously you are more concerned with the magenta so you really want to see the pinky coloured water before you finish. When no more colour can be seen you are done.

The printhead is fragile. Don't touch the electrical points at the back with your fingers. Dry the whole thing with a very dry clean rag or a high quality paper towel. If you have alcohol give the electrical points a wipe over as a final act then replace in machine, lock it back down and replace cartridges.

Run several printhead cleans. This gets ink back into the printhead and removes any air. Doing printhead cleans wastes ink but its an important part.

Do a test print of a small amount of text in different colours. You want to see if the magenta is working so make some magenta coloured text.

Hope that fixes it.

Another point I would question is whether you are using genuine cartridges. Poor quality generics can cause similar problems.

David
www.inkjetonline.com.au

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 - cartridge leak by Iain Clyne (10/16/07 11:33 AM) reply + / -
Hi Sam

The same has just happened to me with the yellow cartridge....did you come to any conclusion/answer?

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (11/19/07 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the insightful info... I had a problem w/ a Pixma ip6600D... same as Galf, only mine was a black twist-tie that had some how gotten down just behind the white mechanism that Galf mentions. Amazing how dark it can be in that little area. GET a flashlight... save yourself 30 mins.

Re: canon MPC 190 Blocked printer head by rayj11 (11/20/07 12:56 AM) reply + / -
My Canon MPC 190 has a blocked black print head, I have tried to clean it several times and alligned the printer heads several times and the black still won't print very clear, the colour is fine.
I replaced the black ink cartridge and its still the same.
Anyone a PC tech know how to actually clear this problem without spending 100s of dollare on new printer heads
Thanks

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jsgossett (12/13/07 7:21 PM) reply + / -
I had the same error code on my iP6000D yesterday. After reading this post, I poked around a little and got it to clear. I think the "poke" that fixed it was when I pushed down a little harder than gently on the printer head. Like others above, my printer head was not moving on startup like it should have. After pushing down on it and restarting the printer, it cleared. Thanks for the post!

By the way, Canon support sucks. I have just about convinced myself that I will never buy a Canon product again. They would not even help me troubleshoot this problem by phone without $9.95 which I refused. I also had a Canon camera that went out right after the warranty expired that they would not help me with a year or so ago. Anyway thanks to this forum I'm back up and running again after a simple fix.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by snuggs (12/18/07 7:33 AM) reply + / -
THANKS!!! kids have a gazillion papers due and my printer misbehaved. Got black fingers but it is up and running

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/19/07 4:27 AM) reply + / -
Hi Bert,
I tried doing what you said but can you please explain in detail what you mean with
"You wil see white plate with two transparant guides on this.
On the most right white arm push a little downwards with a pencil or a plastic pin. = can you please explain this part in a more details as I cannot located the white arm???
Thanks

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/19/07 4:29 AM) reply + / -
Hi Bert,
I tried doing what you said but can you please explain in detail what you mean with
"You wil see white plate with two transparant guides on this.
On the most right white arm push a little downwards with a pencil or a plastic pin. = can you please explain this part in a more details as I cannot located the white arm???
Thanks

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/19/08 3:42 AM) reply + / -
i just bought a new mp 610 on 18/2/08,,
error code 6a00 from start,,,
tried all of the above posts,,nothing worked..
sent it back on the 19/8/08..before i broke it,,,
will never ever buy canon again.....

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/19/08 3:46 AM) reply + / -
sorry wrong date: 18,19/01/2008

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/19/08 12:11 PM) reply + / -
I got the same error message on my mp500 and I think my cause pretty much tops the lot here!.....It is as many have mentioned the code Canon uses rather than saying paper jam, or in this case a hair band jam!!!!...that's right. I pushed the print head to the left, shined my torch in and saw what I thought was an electrical wire running across the white thing that goes back and fourth. I pushed it a little with my screwdriver in the thought that the wire was causing a jam in the mechanics or something. After several attempts of turning it on and off this supposed wire has come completely loose. I pulled it out and my wife commented that it looked like one of her hair bands but i completely dismissed it as I had read someone elses' post here about a rubber band going missing or something,so assumed it was this and then thought "oh my god" i have to take this whole thing apart to re-attach this elastic belt thingy in its place! what an idiot!....well luckily I fired the printer back up again before detaching anything and everything is fine (for now!)

Don't suppose this post will really help any one else' same situation but the point being just check thoroughly for any loose/moving objects that look like they shouldn't be there before taking the thing apart!....good luck.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by samsyergirl (1/24/08 4:50 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the posts. I had this error and followed the instructions posted to clear it. It took a while but I eventually found the offending article - a small piece of photographic paper. Fished it out with a pair of long tweezers and everything seems fine now. Thanks for saving me a trip to the dealer.

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/29/08 9:08 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks to all of you who posted about this. I shook mine upside down & found a small plastic piece loosely wedged in a moving part. I removed it (hopefully I won't miss it), then cleaned gently around moving parts in the area of the printhead tray. The printer works again! I then did some maintenance cleaning (which was long overdue).

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Big Jon (2/25/08 3:48 PM) reply + / -
My MP830 had the same 6A00 error. A very unhelpful Canon rep insisted it was a paper jam -- nothing else. Suggested I drive 60 miles to the nearest service center. We found your suggestions to move the purge unit -- the unit works fine now. Amazing the difference having such sites makes! Thanks.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by roy (2/25/08 4:38 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem but with MP 500...6A00 service code. comes up on the computer screen as well as the display.
I have the printer top removed...the service manual indicates AP motor problem.
purge motor I assume. I cannot locate the cable that plugs into the motor.
any help would be good. Here in province of Ontario, CAnada, these sell for 89$ cad. But I hate to toss it!
It originally came in with a screw lodged into the paper feed area.
It printed good, customer took it home..and later that day, phoned me indicating service code error. ME confused!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Ruudje (2/27/08 6:47 AM) reply + / -
Had the same error code.
The sponge holder stayed "up". When I pushed the littje white bracket a tiny bit backwards it fell down and everything opperates smooth,y again.
Thanx to you all for the advisements.
Regards, Ruud (Holland)

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by abestar 5000 (2/29/08 1:12 AM) reply + / -
also had the error code a600 on a pixma mp610 - this worked out great....here are the instructions in German:

Problemlösung / Behebung Fehler A600 - Canon:

1. Drucker ausschalten

2. Abdeckung öffnen

3. Druckkopf und Patronen manuell nach links schieben

4. auf der äußersten rechten Seite ist eine weiße Plastikabdeckung sichtbar, die an einer Feder befestigt ist

5. Abdeckung behutsam (keine Chemikalien, nicht feucht) reinigen und vorsichtig nach hinten schieben (rastet ein) und eventuelle Verunreinigungen entfernen --> die schwarzen Auffangschwämme für die Lagerung des Druckkopfes werden sichtbar

6. Druckkopf und Patronen manuell zurück nach rechts schieben

7. Drucker anschalten

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 and MP500 error - 6A00 by MikeBud (3/6/08 5:55 PM) reply + / -
Same problem on my MP500. Just moved the printer head aside and cleaned out ink as instructed in previous posts. Lots of ink and a dead bug too. You do need to get in well and make sure to gently move some of the internal parts to clean enough. My first attempt failed because I did not go in deep enough. Just be careful not to force any parts to avoid breaking something.

Thanks everyone - great posts on a great site.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (3/7/08 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Hi I dont know if anyone can help me, But I have a new canon pixma ip6220d I have used it a couple of times,
I went to use it today and the plastic strip That the cartridge glides on(?) has detached from the printer is there anyway I can put this back on or does this have to be sent back? It is probably under warranty but I dont really want to pay shipping. I dont know why it is detached?
I do hope someone can help, Thanks Rachel

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP950 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (3/8/08 9:45 PM) reply + / -
I also fixed the MP950 6A00 error with this solution!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by MikeDana (3/24/08 3:46 PM) reply + / -
I had this error and found this forum and fixed printer. Read postings below on ink build up. This was our problem. We moved cartridge left and mopped up what we could with paper towels and Qtips. Be persistent as it took a number of cleanings before getting it too work. We finally wadded up paper towels under the machine and poured isopropyl (antiseptic) alcohol over ink pad and associated mechanism. Obviously have power off and don't turn on till drained and dryed. Check towels and replace. Works great now. Photo prints with canon glossy paper are the best we've ever made and beat out or equal commercial printers such as Adorama.

Re: Canon Pixma MP500 - 6A00 A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! by Anonymous (3/24/08 7:26 PM) reply + / -
We have this same 6A00 error on our Canon Pixma MP500. The reply by Sarabkn mentioned a "spring" which was found when moving the ink tanks to the left that was attached to a white thing. We can't find the spring when we moved the ink tanks to the left. Can someone help??

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 No black print from 3E by Anonymous (4/3/08 12:16 AM) reply + / -
I tried to print a text document but found it didn't print.
When I tried a nozzle check all the 6 series cartridges printed fine but there was no sign of the 3E cartridge on the test print.
I have since tried cleaning, deep cleaning and taking the print head out and soaking and cleaning. Replaced eveything and deep cleaned the 3E cartridge a few times but still the same.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted thanks.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (4/18/08 5:48 AM) reply + / -
That little white plate was sticking just as you described. Thanks guys

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (4/21/08 1:09 PM) reply + / -
I have a IP 6700d and the same problem occur to me and i was able to fix up by pushing the ink on the left and i saw on the right side as piece of paper blocking the ink catridge

Re: Canon MP810 Error - 6A00 by trinity003 (4/22/08 9:49 PM) reply + / -
Guess what? I read this post, looked in there with a flash light. Saw immediately a plastic T from a clothes tag that had gotten in there somehow (probably because I had dropped in in there when I was removing the tag from a new clothing item). Any how, I simply moved the cartrige, saw it, removed it and powered off and on, and it worked! Yay!! I was about to cuss out Canon.

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (4/29/08 9:36 AM) reply + / -
Thank You! I was about to throw this thing away. Read these notes and, wow, you guys are brilliant! There was a paper clip sitting in there with ink all over it. Pulled it out, powered up and everything is hunky-dory! Can't thank you enough.

Re: canon Pixma ip4200 error - 6A00 by junesmith (5/6/08 9:59 AM) reply + / -
thank you to all the techies! was sure there would not be a paper scrap, but hey there it was lurking in the dark. printer and owner now doing fine and saved 40.00 (cost of new epson printer, as probably not worth paying to repair the canon). would of been seriously annoyed if paid canon to 'repair' printer by removing scrap of paper. Previously advised by canon customer support that printer needed to be returned for repair. would of been nice if canon had suggested your solution first. thanks again all.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by 1898 (6/5/08 3:48 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU! Pulled the cart's aside and the white thingie with wipers moved forward and back and all okay!
The web rules!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (6/13/08 5:58 PM) reply + / -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! The error code said to refer to the manual which was ZERO help - your posting solved the problem for me. Gerry Blucher, Video Services, Inc., Portland, Oregon

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by BAB (6/14/08 4:41 AM) reply + / -
I have read with great interest all the happenings here for the error A600. When we see it in the shop, 9 out of 10 times its a jammed purge unit. We will usually find a scrap of paper or some foreign object lodged in the purge unit preventing the proper movement of the purge unit. Find and clear the problem and your A600 error will go away.
Now if the A600 is there, it will also prevent mechanical movement of the carriage unit, you can move it by hand but it won't move on its own, again look to the purge unit. Again look for some scrap of paper or paper clip, staple or anything that could have made its way into the unit. Children and small objects are also detrimental to printers. Also look for missing or broken encoder strips, another big problem with children around.
No black printing? is it not printing text or graphics? Usually the answer to that one is it won't print text! That already narrows it down to the big BCI-3eBK ink. Have you let it run empty? If so the print head is probably cooked and needs to be replaced. The big BCI-3eBK ink is for text printing only, the smaller BCI-6BK is for graphics. If the BCI-3eBK is allowed to run empty, it will fry the print head and the print head will probably need replacement. If you look on the side of the removable print head you will see the part number ingraved in it, QY6-0049-000. You cannot buy them in a retail store but many Canon authorized places carry them on line. Just put that part number in your search engine and voila you will find many places on line that have them.
Incidently Canon authorized repair facilities will repair these units for free if under warranty, regardless of how it happened.

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech

Re: Re: Good posting - fixed Error code A600 problem by Anonymous (6/16/08 10:50 AM) reply + / -
You are correct, it was from a sheet of paper going in slantwise and ripping the paper. I think I got it cleared out, but I appreciate your help. Gerry.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by UR Comp (7/6/08 4:37 AM) reply + / -
I've ip6600 with the same error. Read your posts, very helpful. its the "wiper" which stop the printer. Just give it a gentle push and the printer spring back to life.. THANKS

Re: canon Pixma MP 500 error - 6A00 by Won Dampchin (7/17/08 7:45 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks! Cleaned print head, the 'wiper,' and did a general cleanup where I had never ventured before. Everyone's postings were of great help. Wearing my blackened fingers as a badge of merit! Thanks again!
Best Regards ...

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by claire03 (7/26/08 3:41 PM) reply + / -
thakyou to all after inky fingers and some really bad noises from the printer and my self the thing that was stuck aint stuck no more happy printing every body regards paul brisbane australia

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (8/19/08 3:58 AM) reply + / -
just fixed my error.my printers heads stayed loose.i could slide them around left to right easily ,but the printer heads wouldNT return to position on restart or anything.i fixed it by doing this.push the printer heads to the left hand side.there is a spoonge that runs the lenghth of the front of printer about 20 cm long.where that finishes on the right hand side of it,theres a white plastic funny shaped clip with a spring on it leading to the bacK of the printer.PUSH THE CLIP TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE PRINTER WHICH WILL THEN RELEASE TWO LITTLE SPOONGES UNDER IT,PRESTO ITs THAT EASY.i also have a continuoius inking system on it.

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4200error - 6A00 by Anonymous (8/19/08 8:07 PM) reply + / -
can i ask wat problem of my printer ip4200 error 6A00

Re: canon Pixma MP830 error - 6A00 by jclarke2899 (8/27/08 9:50 AM) reply + / -
I have an MP830 which is a scanner/copier/printer/fax unit and have the dreaded 6A00 error. I moved the cartridges all the way to the left and have cleaned the plastic wipers and everything I can see in there. I slid the white plate back and forth and I wasn't lucky enough to have a piece of paper on the sponges or anything. If anyone has any idea, please let me know what else may cause this. I have made everything move that appears to move and slid everything that appears to slide....Will soon disect this machine. Would rather break it than pay $80, I'd be better off buying a new one at that point.

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (8/30/08 6:10 AM) reply + / -
same problem...quick nudge and all fixed
thanks alot

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (9/7/08 1:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi
I got A600 error code on my MP610. With my limited German I managed to follow the instructions from abestar 5000 and released the jammed block on the right where the print head rests when not in use. Cleaned the ink as well and now works perfectly. Thanks for the valuable help.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by fla34203 (9/12/08 6:30 PM) reply + / -
Quick fix thanks to this post!
When the ink carrier is centered (automatic when the lid is open) look down to the right of it (far right) about a 2 o'clock position and see the squeege thing.
It is supposed to be all the way back.
I took a small screwdriver and pushed on the hard plastic part (not the top where the rubber sqeege fins are) toward the back.
My issue started after a paper jam.
Hope this help someone else!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (9/22/08 4:53 PM) reply + / -
thanks it worked, something had fallen in and blocked the thing you were talking about!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (10/4/08 10:00 PM) reply + / -
Cleaned the wiper and found a tiny piece of paper in my MP 500. It works, thank you!!!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (10/15/08 11:14 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much!!!! I pushed the plastic piece with a screwdriver and it fixed my printer!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by LECKnox (10/18/08 12:06 AM) reply + / -
Thank-you Everyone who posted solutions to this problem!
On my MX850...it was a jammed 'ink cartridge carrying unit'
(the thing that slides left and right with all the ink.)
There was a safety pin lodged under the far right side (home base). I gently pushed the unit to the left to expose the imposter, and removed it! Error is gone!
Thanks again!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (10/21/08 6:41 AM) reply + / -
Phew!

just about to print my application form, and then the printer didnt work! i tried everything and then i looked at the yr website. looked inside and there it is. a small piece of metal on the right side nr the printhead. thank god. Ieven looked at printer for sale on the website! how stupid was that!

Anyway thanks
jo x

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Mary Lott (11/8/08 8:04 PM) reply + / -
ip6700D.... grabbed a hunk of paper and I think I've got all the pieces but probably not. So the outer shell comes off ??? so I can look more closely...

And exactly WHAT is "the purge"..is it 'the well' where the cartridges slide back and forth or another area.

ML

Re: Canon Pixma iMP 780 - 6A00 Error by Axxim (11/11/08 11:15 AM) reply + / -
I had this 6A00 error and followed the advice listed above by:

-Unplugging Printer
-Opening and accessing printer carriage by manually going in there and gently sliding the carriage (with all the print cartridges) to the left side of the slide
-vacuumed inside
-then took an old wash cloth can blotted out rectangular ink tray area.

Quite a bit of ink was blotted onto the wash cloth.

The Tray is not easy to see, and you'll know it when you feel it. Feels rectangular and gently depresses a bit when blotted. It is not all the way to the right but approximately 1 1/2 from the complete right of the carriage resting area.

Once blotting was complete:

-Carriage returned to resting position to the right
-Unit closed
-Unit plugged back in and USB hooked up
-Voila....unit goes through check and no more 6A00 error

Wishing you success!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (11/26/08 12:52 AM) reply + / -
Like almost everyone else, I found very little information about the 6A00 error code until I found this site. And even though the original question was posted in April 2006, almost 2-1/2 years later this thread has remained active by so many people who just want to say Thank You; -- and you don't see that very often.

Of all the little tweaks and variations of the original answer the one that worked for me was this version (posted by Bert:O)

Hello to you all,
I had the same problem and was able to solve it.
IP40000 6A00 error and green and orange blinking for 12 times.
Open the top of the printer, move the ink-cartriges to the left.
Look in the openening you get.
You wil see white plate with two transparant guides on this.
On the most right white arm push a little downwards with a pencil or a plastic pin.
May be you have to push on the grove a little more to the back .
You will see that the plate will move a very little and this obstruction for moving the cartriges and rollers is gone.
I did not get an official note from Canon about this.
Good luck.
Bert

After applying the above steps my printer worked like a charm, so I'm back to Thanks Everyone

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 No black print from 3E by Anonymous (12/7/08 9:44 PM) reply + / -
Sometimes a cartridge does not properly transfer ink to the printhead because there is poor or no contact between the little screen that feeds the printhead and the contact pad on the cartridge.

Aside from replacing the cartridge with another "new" one, first try a few drops of isopropyl alcohol applied directly to the screen contact of the printhead where the contact pad of the cartridge connects. Reinstall the cartridge and try printing. If there is an improvement in printing (however slight) you probably don't have a bad printhead.

If after trying the alcohol and some alcohol/ink flows, try this next.

Cut some toilet paper to fit the pad on the cartridge. Usually, 8-10 layers of "Scot Single Ply" will work best. But other brands of TP will probably work too.

Point is to create a wick between the cartridge and the printhead feed screen.

Deep clean the printhead and print a page using the highest quality print configuration.

If you have good printing, you have temporarily delayed replacing the cartridge.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by dan ho (12/17/08 8:07 PM) reply + / -
i pressed the white ring and the white lever behind it on the right and the dreaded error disappeared...

Re: canon MP830 error - 6A00 by Gambel Guy (12/20/08 6:04 AM) reply + / -
Opened top of MP830 manually. Moved print heads to left. About one inch from the right wall on the floor of printer are two soft spongy rectangular pads sitting in two abutting small trays. With the end of a ballpoint pen, I pulled the right tray toward the front of the printer and the whole assembly snapped into place. The printer now works perfectly.

Re: canon Pixma MP780 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/21/08 10:25 PM) reply + / -
Out of the blue my Canon MP780 has the 6A00 error that will not clear. I read the posts about accessing the print carriage parking area but I cannot get the print carriage to move from the parked position. Power on, power off makes no difference. It will not budge. What could be preventing it from moving?

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by gigiwagner (12/30/08 10:20 AM) reply + / -
I have the Canon Pixma iP4000R printer. I had an error code of 6A00 and my power light was blinking/flashing green-orange-green-orange-green-orange-green-orange-green-orange-green -orange-green-orange-green-orange-green-orange-green-orange-green-oran ge-green-orange (12 oranges).

I tried the “waste ink counter reset reset” procedure: Power on while holding the stop/reset button and pushing the service button twice, then pushing the stop/rest button 4 times to clear the error, but that didn’t work.

My ink cartridge carrier wasn't moving. I thought I had a paper jam.

I looked at a few blogs about my error on other Canon Pixma models and they kept talking about “sponges”.

The following is what I discovered that cleared my error and now my printer is back to printing!

The “sponges” are 2 hard pieces of absorbing plastic or something of the like. I was looking for a softer material like long thin gray foam strip material in my printer. The 2 "sponges" on my Pixma iP4000R were next to each other-one was rectangular and one was square-like. Originally they were white but the ink made them black/navy.

The "sponges" are located on the right under where the ink cartridge carrier "rests".

I didn't see the sponges at first, as there was a white backwards “L” shaped plastic piece that had a spring attached to it. The “L” shaped piece was moved forward out of its place. I used my pen tip and pushed that piece back and found that the rectangular "sponge" had popped out of its place.

I used a pen tip popped both “sponges” out and rinsed them with water and voila they were once again white. I think the rectangular one had so much ink on it it popped itself out of place.

My error is gone and I can print again!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jem1978 (12/30/08 1:47 PM) reply + / -
Yeah! I have a Canon ip6600d and by using a flashlight (don't try to do it without a flashlight) I saw the little white platform with the "squeegies" on it to the right of the printer cartridges. I wiped it down a bit to get the gunky ink off of it and it slid right back into place. You will get inky fingers...but your printer WILL work again! Thanks all!

Re: canon Pixma MP780 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/30/08 10:32 PM) reply + / -
A follow up to my jammed MP780 print carriage on 12/21 - I downloaded a couple of PDFs ($11) so I could see how much disassembly would be required to free up the carriage. I gave it a try but concluded that getting to whatever had locked the carriage would entail major disassembly to the point that I would be better off taking it in to be serviced. I weighed the potential cost of repairing a 3+ year old unit against a new unit with a 1 year warranty. The decision was an easy one however as Best Buy had a $100 Canon MX700 web special. I used the in-store pickup option and had the new unit up and running that evening. It does everything the MP780 did plus it has an Ethernet port which allowed me to put it on my home network. Incidentally, I also have an IP4000 on my teen's PC but haven't had any issues with that printer.

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/4/09 7:59 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much. It´s working...

Re: canon Pixma ip4500 error - 6A00 by Big Cropper (1/5/09 5:22 PM) reply + / -
Mine got this after having been in a hot room with heaters on after the carpeted floor flooded. Switched off, slid the print head back and forth several times, removed all the ink tanks, clicked the seating lever up and down a few times and jiggled the tank carriage in its seating. Put it all back together and - hey presto, all working fine after it went into an auto cleaning cycle!

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP780 error - 6A00 by trigger1937 (1/5/09 9:39 PM) reply + / -
Will the person that filled this post about the MP780 contact me by clicking on my USER ID and send me an email. I would be interested in buying the MP780 for parts.

Re: Canon Pixma MP500 - 6A00 A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! by anothersara (1/11/09 11:34 AM) reply + / -
You're right! My high school mascot was the Cavemen, and thanks to you, I just fixed my MP500 that hadn't worked in at least 3 months! I slid the ink cartridges to the left, dug around in the mechanics at the right, and found an enormous paper clip! Will definitely make an effort not to pile papers on top of the printer in the future!

Printer makes noise, no print appears by jill McElroy (1/16/09 11:56 AM) reply + / -
I have the Pixma IP 4000. Out of nowhere, my printer stopped printing. The machine makes noise and cartridge moves but nothing appears. I can access help because when I try the message "no help available" appears. Thanks for any suggestions. I've already tried replacing the two black cartridges to no avail.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Big Cropper (1/16/09 2:22 PM) reply + / -
After my post above, my ip4500 then stuck again. Looking with a torch I eventually found the wiper unit over on the far right hand side below where the print head parks.

I took all the ink tanks out and then unclipped the print head. I sprayed the underneath jet part of the head (not the contacts) with WD40 (all I had, made the 1st few sheets after a bit greasy but OK now) and gently wiped off the excess ink there. I then replaced all that lot. Then I sprayed the wiper unit with WD40, using the bendy pipe with the can to direct the flow, and wiped that gently free of ink too. Now all working fine for several days.

As the ip4000 is similar then maybe you will find the wiper unit over there too. Good luck!

Mike

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jill McElroy (1/17/09 4:46 PM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for your suggestion. I took out all of the ink tanks, wiped things off, and ta da, it is printing again in black ink!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by BAB (1/18/09 9:38 AM) reply + / -
6A00 is a jammed purge unit!

BAB
Canon Tech

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jill McElroy (1/18/09 2:37 PM) reply + / -
What is a purge unit and what does this have to do with it not printing only in black?

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Big Cropper (1/18/09 4:03 PM) reply + / -
My guess is that it's the wiper thing over on the far right of the printer, below where the print head parks!

Mike

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Ara (1/31/09 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for all the info. Just another note, check to see if you have lost a picture card, it may be causing an error because it is stuck inside the machine jamming the head cleaner.

Canon Pixma MP600R error - 6A00 by benjahman (2/2/09 11:21 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for all you postings, magically I managed to fix the printer.
The mechanism that sticks/binds is the same on the MP660R (UK model).
The "sponges" are located on the far right side under where the ink cartridge carrier "rests". Slightly hidden away.

I didn't see the sponges at first, as there was a white backwards “L” shaped plastic piece that had a spring attached to it. The “L” shaped piece was moved back out of its place. I used my pen tip and pushed that piece forward and found that the rectangular "sponge" had stuck out of its place.
Whichever way it gets stuck, it seems this is an area where ink gets built up, so a Q tip to wipe as much as you can get off. I used 5 before it was clean.
Big thanks to all you super helpful community.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Steve Kendrick (2/6/09 2:13 AM) reply + / -
Fantastic. Saved myself a service charge (well, a new printer really - it would have been cheaper). Slightly different to other solutions - the two foam pads that must cover/protect the heads when the cartridge is parked were jammed up, preventing the head cleaning squeegee from moving back and forth. Just to the right of these pads was a piece of blue plastic, part of the assembly holding the foam pads, it seems, because very gentle downward pressure on this blue plastic freed the pads and the squeegee could move back and forth again. I have no doubt that this will happen again (dried ink gunge is so sticky) but I can live with this until a actually WANT to buy a new printer!

Thanks to all of you and good luck to all of you with similar problems!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/7/09 9:13 AM) reply + / -
hi can anyone tell me how to get the top of my ip 4300 thanx

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/21/09 12:22 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for this post. It still does the job over 2 years later. |Fixed the problem in no time at all. Now have to figure out how to clean the thing

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by raoul (3/26/09 9:25 AM) reply + / -
As someone said earlier keep reading until you get to something you understand - in my case the white plastic thingy near the two pads far right was stuck I pushed it back and all now works fine - thank you and best regards

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (7/14/09 2:28 PM) reply + / -
I have been trying that with the printer heads(Moving them back and forth) BUT when I look inside I can't even see them..what does it look like..I always see the printer cartridges move back and forth when I open the machine and now they don't come out???

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by skip113 (7/21/09 12:42 PM) reply + / -
Babs-Is there a third sponge/pad associated with the purge unit? I have seen and cleaned the two (one rectangular and one square) resting pads. But there seems to have been a third square more sponge like pad also. Is this a foriegn object or is it a useful one? It might have come off of an ink cartridge. Thanks-Skip

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by rrabbitt (7/22/09 8:16 AM) reply + / -
I have tried all these recommendations. But, my printer will go through the startup routine. The print head moves, the rollers on the bottom move and appear to have nothing jammed. But at the end of the routine it sounds as if a 'sheet feeder' is jammed which doesn't appear to be the case. I cannot determine what the problem might be. any ideas appreciated!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (7/25/09 10:33 PM) reply + / -
I have a MP500 and after looking at it for about an hour and reading this thread I realized that the piece that was stuck was on the far right of the printer. I knocked it loose, and its working great now.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by marilyn_munster (8/2/09 2:12 PM) reply + / -
I have tried everything mentioned here, aside from tearing down my cover...no jam, I cleaned the ink, etc. My ink cartridges move freely, too. I kept hoping to find a tiny piece of paper or foreign object...but no such luck. I have a canon pixma ip6000d which has served me extremely well for over 4 years! It's been my work horse and I hate to part with it. *sigh* Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

All of your entries were extremely helpful, and I wanted to say thanks to all!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jemval (8/5/09 11:48 PM) reply + / -
Brilliant! Thanks so much everyone for all your help. Thought our Canon MP600 printer was toast, but found this thread... lo and behold, its fixed. Searched all over Canon's website and could not find out what error 6A00 was. With all your helpful hints and instructions, we cleaned under where the ink cartridges rest and came across a penny that had become lodged in the tray, preventing the
white L-shaped thing with the spring from moving freely! Works like a charm now.

Canon needs to make these codes more accessible! This was a quick fix, but undoubtedly would have cost us big $$$$ or a new printer. Makes us wonder how many Canon printers are tossed out each year because of a minor "cleaning" issue.

Thanks again to everyone!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Hailz (8/25/09 3:13 AM) reply + / -
Well I just opened the lid and had a look around inside my pIXMA mp610 that's been displaying that annoying 6A00 message... and for some reason there was a 20c piece in there!!!!!! I mean, wth????? It's still displaying the same message though - maybe there's a few more dollars caugt in there somewhere???? LOL

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (8/25/09 6:03 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the hint...actually I had the same experience and when I opened my lid found a minuit piece of the plastic roller inside`. It happened when I tried to pull ot a jammed piece of paper out. After a little cajolling it is working again!! My advice to others is "Don't give up on your printer until you have tried evrythig...there is always a reason!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by eduardo verdurmen (8/27/09 12:51 PM) reply + / -

It is easier than I thought. Inside this the ink in the corners
small pieces of paper had not left that moved.
Remove the small roles and WALAAAAAAAAA. It works.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by eduardo verdurmen (8/27/09 12:58 PM) reply + / -
ITs works , its workssss. removes small pieces of paper found in the inside corners where the ink. Manually move the ink into a corner with a flashlight and check if there are pieces of paper. Remove them all to find and off and turns on the device. WALAAAAAAAAAAA. Works

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by wordplay (10/16/09 12:13 PM) reply + / -
You are geniuses. Thank you to all of you who contributed. There was a rubberband that seems to have fallen in and gotten stuck in the exact location you are all describing. Removed it and all is well. Hugs to all you smart people and thanks to this forum.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/3/09 3:46 PM) reply + / -
There was a popsicle stick in my MP610. Reading this thread gave me the push to keep looking until I found the problem. Get out the flash light - it saved me $88, what the local service center would've charge me just to look at it. Thanks!!!!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jenx (12/10/09 5:25 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem with my MX850, so I took all the advice grabbed a flashlight, q-tip, and alcohol, and cleaned the little squeegie thing on the right, and it was stuck in the wrong position. Cleaning it popped it into place and it's working again! Thanks for all the posts. I was about to take it 20 miles to the closest repair center.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (12/22/09 8:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for tips it work fine for me and Canon IP 4500.
I work with that clining around boxes 2-3 times push down , and after a while all work good.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Ucongold (1/10/10 5:09 PM) reply + / -
I used all of the advice and with a little help (I read, hubby fixed) I got my ip4500 working again. We moved the printhead that was not moving to the left. Then using a chopstick we pushed the white plastic thing that is on the spring that sits over the inkpad gently. It automatically then moved to the very back of the unit. It was stuck I guess.

When the printer was turned on again the plastic thing moved down a bit and stayed at the back AND the printerhead lit up and moved over to the right. Everything is working excellent now.

Thanks everyone for the GREAT tips! They worked..

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (1/13/10 8:43 AM) reply + / -
Brilliant! Just had the mysterious Error 6A00 on my ip6600D. Nothing worked until I followed your instructions precisely, just gently touched that white plastic element at far rear right with the tip of a ballpoint, there was a tiny 'click', and voilà -- the printer is back in business. Didn't even get inky fingers. Thank you!

Re: canon Pixma MP500 error by Anonymous (1/27/10 10:45 AM) reply + / -
Hi guys, I've read some great things on here but none pertaining to the MP500.

I have loved this printer and was sick when it registered a
5700 Error code.

It sounds like it's trying to take paper in before the
error code comes up - any ideas?

thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by bob bobson (2/1/10 9:21 AM) reply + / -
legend, thank you

Re: Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (2/2/10 12:32 PM) reply + / -
That was the problem. A piece of paper was jamming up one of the mechanisms.... Thanks so much....

Re: canon Pixma ip3000 error - 6A00 by dubaja (2/17/10 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Service error 6A00.
Cancel printing and turn the printer off and then back on.
If this doesn't clear the error, see the printer manual for more detail.
please i need help

Re: canon Pixma ip4500 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (3/15/10 8:14 PM) reply + / -
the printer alam light is flashing 12 times

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (3/17/10 8:46 AM) reply + / -
Hi guys
I have a problem with my pixma 4500 this is the second time this has happened and the first time it cost me a new printhead.
Ofcours Ii possible I would like to try and fix the problem this time and not fork out for the new printhead.
Problem is that the magenta does not print and the end result is all pics come out yellowishy.I have tried to clean the nozzle with surgical spitrit but to no avail.I am stuck can anybody help with the problem.
Thanks
signalman

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by djacobs (3/26/10 7:07 PM) reply + / -
Same 6A00 error that I've been reading about here. Mine was far from "easy" to fix. Occurred after printing about 700 pages for one job. Thank goodness I found this site. I did find two bits of paper that had jammed, but removing them was not enough. The error message continued. Once I understood what people meant by the inkpad dock and the sliding mechanism, I realized that the excess buildup of ink was exactly that: excessive. Took a good 45 minutes of sopping it up with alcohol swabs. Be forewarned: ink will get on your hands, and it's hard to get off. But that's a small price for having my printer working again. Success, at least for now. I have my (ink-soaked) fingers crossed that it truly is fixed. Thanks everyone!

By the way, I had been printing the 700+ page job on the fastest custom setting. I suspect the speed had something to do with this problem.

6A00 on my MX850 by Sputnik (3/30/10 12:22 PM) reply + / -
Hi
I just solved this error on my MX850, it works perfectly again.
How to solve it:

- Open the main cover, so that you can see the tanks (no need to unplug the printer)

- push the tanks to the left

- on the right you will see a white plastic plate (see photo), push it backwards as far as it goes (underneath the plate you will see the waste collecting sponge (black), if you see them, you pushed the right piece..

- start it up, it will work again! Close the cover and you are finished.

Photo: http://www.abload.de/img/100_3122s4je.jpg

Re: canon Pixma ip4500 not error no. but ink stop. by signalman36 (edited 4/1/10 2:03 AM) reply + / -
Hi Sputnik,
Sorry if I mislead you but my proplem is that the magenta colour stopped printing and was not the waste tank although your photo and the way you explained the error has served for the future.
I had that fault on my ip 3000 and solved as you rightly explained but this time it's the magenta colour that has stopped printing and althought I have cleaned the head it has not made any difference.
So I was thinking that it might be a sensor problem and unless a restter for the print head exists,as in the cartridges resetter, I am afraid I'll have to fork out for a new printhead. Any suggestions will help. Again many thanks for your helpful info re ink waste tank.
signalman36 inform me please

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Sputnik (4/1/10 10:09 AM) reply + / -
I only know about the electronic chips built-in the cartridges. Maybe this chip is causing your problem. The solution would be to get a new magenta cartridge or buy a new chip for your cartridge.
hth

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (4/2/10 2:25 AM) reply + / -
Have changed the cartridge but the 4500 is different to M850 even the inkwaste tank is situated at the right side in the printer and not in the centre as shown in you photo.
Thank you again for helping out
Signalman36

Re: canon Pixma ip4300 by Anonymous (4/14/10 5:50 AM) reply + / -
My pgbk ink on printer no longer works. I tried cleaning, deep cleaning and nozzle cleaning. Tested the nozzle head print all printed except for the PGBK section. Any suggestions on what else I can try would be greatly appreaciated.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (4/14/10 11:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi Anonymous,
I am afraid that my trouble was with the magenta, and like you tried everything including washing the lozzles with water and then with surgical spirit but nothing worked. After repeated nozzle cleaning I magaged to print the magenta but it did not last very long it stopped again.
In the end I came to the conculion that it must be the sensors on the back of the prinhead over heating and deceided to invest in a new print head costing 51.65 sterling on ebay from Electrovesal Ltd. in luton which, is cheaper than byining a new printer for 154 euros.
Sorry I can not be more helpful
signalman36

Re: error - 6A00 by Anonymous (4/14/10 5:45 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for enlightening me about the tab stuck issue.
My multifuction printer was about to find one more function,
FLIGHT!! When I found this site and did exactly what was stated,
It saved the printer from a front door launch!!!

Thanks Sooooo Much!!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (4/15/10 3:24 AM) reply + / -
I'm glad the info was helpful but I have changed the printhead twice now because the printer is functioning properly and still going strong!!;-)
Signalman36

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (4/20/10 5:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert and all!

I finally got my ip6600d error cleared by pushing two ink-gunked white plastic little 'arms' back, more or less as Bert advised.

SJ

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by tinkers_dream (4/28/10 9:22 AM) reply + / -
I had an 6A00 flash up on my ip4000. I read some the above advice, got a torch & gloves, and opened the lid. I had a look at the white things, then I thought.. the head has moved to the left position, ... it can't move at all when the orange light is flashing,.. maybe that movement on its own would be enough to release the white thing. So I closed the lid without tinkering, and the error code stopped. quite an easy fix really. cheers

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (4/29/10 4:42 AM) reply + / -
hi tinkers dream
my problem was that the magenta color was not coming through and not errpr - 6A00, will keep your info in mind many thanks

Re: Canon PIXMA MP500 by Bill Carruth (5/8/10 8:17 PM) reply + / -
It's about 2-years old and has been printing/copying beautifully - until today [05.08.10]. No error messages. It just stop printing from my Gateway laptop and it won't copy zilch. I've tried the recommended troubleshooting procedures: NADA!
I've removed the ink tanks and re-set them: ZIP! All the tanks are full or 1/2 full. Still: ZERO! I've employed a few crass WWII military invectives: NOTHING! I've called Canon 800 numbers: a complete waste of time! In a word......

H E L P!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Mikey Collins (5/11/10 4:42 AM) reply + / -
My canon pixma ip4000 has been working perfectly untill today.
Ive tried most of the solutions but all have failed so far.
Ive tried moving the cartridge over to the left but its really stuck. I cant really seem to fins anything wrong with it other than the cartridges staying to the right. I cant find any bits of paper or items stuck in there, and i cant find this little white lever thing everyone is saying to push to the back. I can only move the cartridge to the right a few millimeters. Im really confused and i dont really understand most of what you guys are saying. XD

Please help.

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (5/15/10 11:08 PM) reply + / -
I have just had the problem - and fixed it (hopefully for you too)

We have just had a few days of very dry weather and some of the posts above refer gluggy water based ink.

Printer off

To un jamb the print head.

Open the single sheet paper feed at the back (below the multi feeder) and rotate the rollers so you hear the mechanisms moving.

switch it on again and open the front top cover as if you want to change an ink cartridge.

the ink platen will either move to the middle or you will be able to move it by hand.

remove power from the printer

You will be able to see some black pads at the far right of the printer - as well as a white mechanism. This is below the normal print head "Home" position. The black ink pads are hard, but white when new.

Get a straw and fill it with water. Put your finger over the end and practice dropping just one or 2 drops down the sink by raising your finger from the end of the straw. (you must have control over the water dropping process!!!!!) The drinking straw is needed to reach the black pads.

ok, back to the printer. Put one drop of water onto each of the black pads and then suck it up using a rag or tissue. Repeat. (water is the lubricant here) Put one drop between the clear wipers on the white mechanism.

Put one drop back on each black pad (they may be going grey now)
and apply power to the printer. Start the printer.

I repeated the last 2 points a few times and the printer has just printed a bucket load.

Rob

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (5/16/10 2:53 AM) reply + / -
Hi Rob
Many thanks for the info but will try it out as I got a new printhead and its working perfectly well but will keep in mind for next stoppage.
Again many thanks

Re: canon Pixma ip4300 error - 6A00 by Techno Not (5/17/10 6:10 PM) reply + / -
I have tried all that I could understand of the above and still have orange and green light flashing and an ink cartridge that won't move. I don't know what to do next but a new printer is sure looking good!!!!

Thanks for all the advise though.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by signalman36 (5/17/10 11:43 PM) reply + / -
hi Tecno not Have you tried this taken from the usre's guide bood of the pixma 4500 your s might vary a bit so check yours first.If yourt user's guide is the same then check on the number of flashes and follow the instructions below.
Good luck.
Two flashes: Printer is out of paper. /Paper does not feed.
Reload paper in the Rear Tray or Cassette and press the RESUME/CANCEL button.

Three flashes: Paper Output Tray is closed. / Paper jam.
If the Paper Output Tray is closed, open it. The printer resumes printing.

If opening the Paper Output Tray does not resolve the problem, or if the tray was open to begin with, the paper may be jammed. Remove the jammed paper, reload paper properly in the printer, and then press the RESUME/CANCEL button. See Paper Jams.

Four flashes: Ink tank is not installed properly. / Ink may have run out.
Possible causes are as follows:

If the lamp on the ink tank is not lit, the ink tank may not be installed properly.

Install an appropriate ink tank.

If the lamp on the ink tank is flashing, ink may have run out.

Replacing the ink tank is recommended.

If printing is in progress and you want to continue printing, press the RESUME/CANCEL button with the ink tank installed. Then printing can continue. Replacing the ink tank is recommended after the printing. The printer may be damaged if printing is continued under the ink out condition.

See Replacing an Ink Tank.

Note

If multiple ink lamps are flashing, see Getting the Ink Status Information and confirm the status of each ink tank.

Five flashes: Print Head is not installed. / Print Head is defective.
Follow the directions given in your setup sheet to install the Print Head.

If the Print Head is already installed, remove the Print Head once and then reinstall it.

If the error is still not resolved, the Print Head may be damaged. Contact your Canon Service representative.

Six flashes: Inner Cover is open.
Close the Inner Cover, then press the RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer.

Do not open or close the Inner Cover while printing is in progress, as this can damage the printer.

Seven flashes: Ink tank is not installed in the correct position.

Some ink tanks are not installed in the correct position. (The lamps on the ink tanks flash.)

More than one ink tanks of the same color are installed. (The lamps on the ink tanks flash.)

Confirm that the ink tanks are installed in the appropriate positions.

Eight flashes: Ink absorber is almost full.
The printer has a built-in ink absorber to hold the ink used during Print Head Cleaning, for example.

Eight flashes indicates that the ink absorber is nearly full.

Press the RESUME/CANCEL button to cancel the error so you can continue printing.

Before the ink absorber becomes completely full, contact a Canon Service representative. (You will need to replace a particular part of the printer.)

Important

Canon recommends that you call for service as soon as this error occurs. Once the ink absorber becomes completely full, printing cannot be performed until the ink absorber is replaced.

Nine flashes: No response from connected digital camera or video camcorder. / Connected digital camera or video camcorder is not compatible with this printer.
Disconnect the USB cable connecting the printer and the device, and then reconnect it.

When printing from a PictBridge compliant device, depending on the model or brand of your device, you may have to select a PictBridge compliant print mode on the device before connecting it to the printer. You may also have to turn on the camera or select Play mode manually after connecting the device to the printer. Perform necessary operations according your device's instruction manual before reconnecting it to the printer.

If the error is still not resolved, there is a possibility that you are using a digital camera or digital video camcorder that is not supported by this printer. Only PictBridge compliant devices can be connected to the printer for direct printing.

Ten flashes: Cannot perform duplex printing.
The size of paper may not be compatible with automatic duplex printing. The sizes of media suitable for auto duplex printing are A4, Letter, A5, and 5" x 7". Make sure that the size of the paper loaded in the printer is correct. Pressing the RESUME/CANCEL button will eject the paper and restart printing from the front side of the next paper. The reverse side of the ejected sheet will not be printed.

Eleven flashes: Automatic Print Head Alignment failed.

Print Head nozzles are clogged.

Press the RESUME/CANCEL button to dismiss the error, and print the nozzle check pattern to check the status of the Print Head. See Printing the Nozzle Check Pattern.

Paper of size other than A4 or Letter is loaded in the Rear Tray.

Press the RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer to dismiss the error, then load two sheets of A4/Letter-sized Canon Matte Photo Paper MP-101 with the printing side (whiter side) facing UP in the Rear Tray.

Automatic Print Head Alignment cannot be performed using paper from the Cassette. For Automatic Print Head Alignment, always load paper in the Rear Tray.

The Paper Output Slot is exposed to strong light.

Press the RESUME/CANCEL button to dismiss the error, and then adjust your operating environment and/or the position of the printer so that the Paper Output Slot is not exposed directly to strong light.

After carrying out the above measures, if the problem continues after aligning the Print Head again, press the RESUME/CANCEL button to dismiss the error, and then perform Manual Print Head Alignment. For details on Manual Print Head Alignment, see Manual Print Head Alignment.

Thirteen flashes: Ink level cannot be detected.
The remaining ink level cannot be correctly detected. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)

Replace the ink tank and close the Top Cover.

Printing with an ink tank that was once empty may damage the printer.

If you want to continue printing in this condition, you need to release the function for detecting the remaining ink level. Press and hold the RESUME/CANCEL button for at least 5 seconds, and then release it.

* With this operation, releasing the function for detecting the remaining ink level is memorized. Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any printer malfunction or damage caused by refilled ink tanks.

Note

If the function for detecting the remaining ink level is disabled, the ink tank is displayed in gray on the printer status monitor (Windows) and Canon IJ Printer Utility (Macintosh). See Getting the Ink Status Information.

Fourteen flashes: Ink tank cannot be recognized.
The ink tank is not compatible with this printer. (The lamp on the ink tank is off.)

Install an appropriate ink tank.

Fifteen flashes: Ink tank cannot be recognized.
An Ink tank error has occurred. (The lamp on the ink tank is off.)

Replace the ink tank.

Sixteen flashes: Ink has run out.
Ink has run out. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)

Replace the ink tank and close the Top Cover.

Printing under the current condition may damage the printer.

If you want to continue printing in this condition, you need to release the function for detecting the remaining ink level. Press and hold the RESUME/CANCEL button for at least 5 seconds, and then release it.

* With this operation, releasing the function for detecting the remaining ink level is memorized. Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any malfunction or trouble which may be caused by continuation of printing under the ink out condition.

Note

If the function for detecting the remaining ink level is disabled, the ink tank is displayed in gray on the printer status monitor (Windows) and Canon IJ Printer Utility (Macintosh). See Getting the Ink Status Information.

Nineteen flashes: An unsupported USB hub is connected. Remove the hub.
If a PictBridge compliant device is connected via a USB hub, remove the hub and connect it directly to the printer.

POWER Lamp Flashes Green and ALARM Lamp Flashes Orange Alternately
The POWER and ALARM lamps flash alternately as shown below.

Disconnect the printer cable from the printer, turn the printer off, and then unplug the printer from the power supply. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on after leaving it for a while.

If the problem is not resolved, contact your Canon Service representative.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Anonymous (5/29/10 12:13 AM) reply + / -
thnx my resetter na ako sa mp198,,,,,f gus2 nyo bumili email u lang sa nonoy_arca@yahoo.com

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by a.j. (6/8/10 1:46 PM) reply + / -
Thankyou! I had the same problem and your "fix" worked perfectly.

Canon MP 610 Error Message 6A00 by Guy Murphy (6/20/10 5:45 PM) reply + / -
Easy fix. Like everyone says, just open the cover, slide ink cartridge slider over to the left to reveal the little white plate the pops in and out upon the printers initiation. This is a little squeegie device that runs over the printers head to clean and clear them before printing. I just gave it a quick poke with my pen to release it. Probably drying ink gunking the slider bar up. It's water based ink so water or alcohol on an ear bud could help too. Took me 2 minutes.
thanks all users for the handy advice.
Guy, Australia

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by isvar (6/30/10 11:18 AM) reply + / -
I never post in any forums,but you guys ROCk. I was feeling like a caveman,but persisted. It works!!Thanks

Re: Re: canon Pixma MP760 error - 6A00 by Neokles (7/13/10 1:13 PM) reply + / -
iljasan Thank you!!!!!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 Magenta does not print by scavia (7/24/10 11:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I see Signalman had a problem printing magenta. Me too. I already replace the print head once. The problem came back. It was not clear how it was solved. Any help?

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by innerurge (8/22/10 10:26 AM) reply + / -
Had the same problem on my mx850. Moved the ink cartridges to the left, looked to the right (where they normally doc) and there was the white tab with springs. Wiped it down pulled it back then pushed it forward and it snapped into place. Restarted and it sings.

Thanks so much!

Re: canon Pixma mx850 error - 6A00 by Nigelbb (9/1/10 4:55 AM) reply + / -
I came here like everybody else because of this 6A00 error message on my MX850 which was working fine yesterday. It was particularly annoying as I wanted to use the scanner but was prevented as the machine thought there was something wrong with the printer.

I followed the instructions & photograph posted by Sputnik (many thanks) but didn't find any foreign objects & the little sliding tray that wipes the print heads seemed to move freely. I did however mop up excess ink that was on the foam pads using a paper towel & moved, slide, clicked, twanged every moving part inside that I could find. After every operation I powered it back on still to be confronted by the error code. However I obviously did something right as after about the tenth time of powering back on & when I had just been contemplating giving up & throwing the machine in the wheelie-bin it ran through the whole power-up self-diagnostic sequence correctly & once again it is working & I was able to scan the important documents that I had first wanted to scan about an hour before.

Many thanks to all the contributors. My MX850 is a great printer/scanner/copier/fax etc & I particularly like the duplex unit for both printing & scanning. I especially like the fact that I can get a set of non-Canon inks for about £7 (about $10). So I am really pleased that this is back in service.

Re: canon Pixma ip6000d error - 6A00 by pbansen (9/24/10 4:42 PM) reply + / -
I found this forum by googling the 6A00 error. Glad I did, because I was about to toss the printer and buy a new one. Thanks to the suggestions here, I opened it up to clean the ink wiper and found an object that had dropped down into that are and was jamming the print head. Removed the object, fired up the printer, it works fine.

Many thanks!

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by H W (9/29/10 2:46 AM) reply + / -
HI Bert

I have a canon mp610

It took a little understanding and getting it right, but you're advice is invaluable. Thanks very much!
My printer now works :)

Thanks again
H

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by jxu27t (10/4/10 8:01 PM) reply + / -
After about an hour of reading, I came across Sputnik's post and finally "got it" with regard to the thing I needed to push back. Thanks for the photo, Sputnik. Wish I had seen it an hour ago. Of course I immediately found the paper jammed up in there that was causing all of the problem once I pushed that piece back. By then, however, a small piece with two tiny holes that look like they go over some springs on the front of that white piece came off along with a plastic piece that looks to have once been clear. Although the printer is printing again, I'm guessing it was not a good thing for the plastic piece and the metal piece with two tiny holes in it to come off! I'll be looking for a new printer in the coming days because I'm sure I've broken it now beyond my capabilities to repair. However, it would have been tossed aside anyway if I hadn't tried to fix it, so there wasn't much to loose anyhow and my daughter was able to print her homework.

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by DeeSee (10/10/10 5:59 AM) reply + / -
How did you get the side covers off? I cannot power on, I need to move the carrier manually without power. ip4000.

Thanks

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by DeeSee (10/10/10 6:02 AM) reply + / -
How did you get the side covers off? I cannot power on, I need to move the carrier manually without power. ip4000.

Thanks

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by sherlaine (11/21/10 11:36 AM) reply + / -
I have a Canon MP610 - it is approximately 4 years old - off and on it's had it's issues but for the most part it works well. This is the 1st time I have gotten the 6A00 error so it made sense this could be a gummed up ink issue - sure enough I pulled the cartridges to the left and with wet wipes and paper towels took out a LOT of ink - turned off and on and now she works fine, although the first few sheets did have some extra ink on them.

This is a very simple fix - thank heavens for the internet.

Re: canon Pixma MP830 error - 6A00 by Jethro70 (1/7/11 9:37 AM) reply + / -
I've just had same error 6A00 code and I looked on this thread.
I found that when you switched unit on - The print head that holds the cartridges would not move and auto align by themselves as usual. - Instead the unit would click! and the error code displayed. I unplugged the printer, moved print head as far to left as possible, I put a small torch and shone to the right - and used a 'wet wipe' to clean the gungdy parts (one looked like an ipod socket!). Then when I plugged the machine back in and turned on - the print head moved by itself this time - so I thought 'seems promising!' and yippee - No error code! and working fine!!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Appreciative (1/7/11 2:44 PM) reply + / -
Thank you all!! I received the 6A00 message on my Pixma 850. The Canon tech said it was a paper jam. There was no jam. He said that I needed a new printer. Reading your website, I cleaned the black pad and the purge part with some wet towels, restarted and NO ERROR MESSAGE.

The printer works fine.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by n100tty (1/26/11 3:47 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have a MP830 and twice this code as come up the first time I rang cannon who said it would have to go to a repair centre but as the warranty had run out it was going to cost sending and repairs was going to out way the purchase price. so out of frustration I picked it up and droped it back on the desk turned it back on and it has worked for past 3 months until yesterday and I did the same but 2/3 times before it worked again so I would say that the post about the print head sticking is right and next time I will take it apart and clean it. Thanks For the tip. Peter

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by DrCJHarrisChin (1/28/11 1:03 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem which oddly enough occurred after the snow storm which knocked out our power for 2 days. the printer comes on, but as described with other users, the printer cartridges do not move. I want to try cleaning it as suggested, but what is / where are the black pad and the purge part? By the way I have the Canon Pixma MP830

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by raven98030 (2/1/11 4:57 AM) reply + / -
Where can i buy a power cord for my printER ?CAN SOMEONE POST WEB SITE AND WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET GOOD PRICE ON INK

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Thanksforhelp (2/10/11 8:19 PM) reply + / -
Our Canon Pixma MX850 had the 6A00 error--could not find any pieces of paper, followed the suggestion of moving print heads and cleaning wiper plastic and resting area with Qtips and rubbing alcohol--wiper clicked back into place with this contact. Now working fine--thanks so very much for sharing your experiences--have not made heavy use recently of the printer. So glad it still works!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by bluester (3/6/11 8:10 AM) reply + / -
Had the same problem on MP610.

Tried cleaning the transparent squeegee thing and pushing the white plate back as recommended by Sputnik above, but on first restart, got same 6A00 error message. I noticed the whilte plate had sprung out again and presumably had got stuck?

What seemed to work was recommendation by Anonymous (5/15/10 11:08 PM) above, of cleaning the black pads ("waste collector sponges" in Sputnik's very helpful photo), with drops of water from a straw, and mopping with paper tissue and also cleaning the squeegee with a little water on a Q-tip too.

Printer worked on next restart.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by raven98030 (3/6/11 10:04 AM) reply + / -

Where can i buy a power cord for my printER ?CAN SOMEONE POST WEB SITE AND WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET GOOD PRICE ON INK

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by KWRPhotos (3/13/11 11:47 AM) reply + / -
Turn printer off.....open up and slide cartridges all the way to the left. Using flashlight, note there is a very tiny clear "guide" all the way to the far back right on the track the cartridges slide on. Mine was full of black ink so I almost didn't see it. Took QTips and cleaned it out and around it. Turned on my printer and it works....No more error message 6A00! Try it - maybe it will help others!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by BAB (3/19/11 6:24 AM) reply + / -
You can buy a power cord at beckscrs.com. they carry all parts for Canon inkjet printers.
6A00 refers to a waste purge unit error. The purge unit is where the printheads park when not in use, it also caps the printhead. turn on the printer, let the print head move out of the park area then pull the plug. Open the printer and look into the purge unit with a flashlight and remove any foreign objects you might find, most typically, paper shards, but I have found rubber bands, push pins, drywall, just about anything. You may also try using an eye dropper and put water on the slide areas to help clean out any ink. Hopefully removing any foreign objects will release the purge unit and your good to go.
Hope this helps!

BAB

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by stevehagberg (3/28/11 3:41 PM) reply + / -
Hi Signalman.
I have an MP830 which has given me great service until I, too, got the 6A00. I followed all the advice. I was having 11 flashes, alternating COPY and ALERT. After tearing it down a couple of times, cleaning things, the printhead now lights up, cycles through the start-up, etc. but I now have 12 alternating COPY/ALERT flashes. Any idea what 12 means?
Just as things start to print, there is something that sounds like a gear jam, which may mean I put something back together incorrectly timed. I didn't get it all apart, but did get to the point that the ADF and scanner were removed, top half of the case and main circuit board removed, enough to cycle the purge unit by hand and watch everything go through it's cycle.
Anyway, if you happen to know what 12 flashes mean, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Steve

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by J.H. (4/13/11 8:05 AM) reply + / -
My MP 610, after not been used for a while, suddenly didn't do anything anymore; the error code was 6A00. I couldn't find the meaning of this code in the manual, but cleaning the cartridges and the sponge (which I found thanks to Sputnik's picture) helped. I'm back in business! Hurray!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by stevehagberg (4/21/11 8:36 AM) reply + / -
Hi, thanks for your input. I cleaned everything, took the printer almost completely apart several times, became very familiar with the circuit boards, etc, etc. Still no luck. Mine is not just a printer, but a fax, scanner, printer combo. Lots of fun. Worked great for a few years. They don't sell ones that use the same ink cartridges anymore, which is a bummer because my three other printers use the same ink. Anyway, thanks for your input.
S

Re: canon Pixma MP 610 6A00 by myredroz08 5/17/11 (5/17/11 12:51 PM) reply + / -
I spent almost 3hours in trying to figure out what's this printing error all about; this website was really a big help to me; instead of paying $16 from so called canon expert, I tried every possible suggested solutions mentioned, voila it's just a piece of foam , out of position 1/4 by 1 1/2 in size, put it back and push it twice (squeezee) located at the rightmost portion . ( Push the ink cartridge to the left to be able to see that squeeze ). Thanks a lot !!!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by cheekybanter (6/9/11 8:05 PM) reply + / -
Thanks everyone = my MP610 had paper stuck in under the printer cartridges - moved it to the left and they came rolling out!!

Re: 6A00 on my MX850 by sbRECeekay (7/1/11 10:27 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks Sputnik and others for describing this fix (and the photo is a huge help.) I can see these parts using a flashlight, and barely put my hand in to touch them, but the space is too small. How are you able to get enough access to get in there and clean/manipulate the plastic plate and sponge? Are you removing the cover of the machine and if so could you explain how to do that? The cover on my unit only opens to a 45 degree angle, and I see no way to take apart the left side plastic hinge connecting cover to base. Any help is much appreciated!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by sbRECeekay (7/5/11 4:25 PM) reply + / -
Friends, following up to plead for assistance...Without removing covers, sides, etc., I did manage to access the guts of the machine and tried the solutions posted: cleaned the squeegee thing, cleaned the aborber pads and all around them (20 q-tips), made sure white plastic thing with squeegee moved to back position. But the problem remains. When I restart the machine, it looks like the white plastic squeegee thing tries to move forward, but it can't because the tray with the absorber pads blocks it. The tray and absorber pads seem to be "popped up" too high and it looks like they start to move down out of the way - they are obviously on some spring mechanism because i can reach in and push them down and hold them down, then manually pull the white plastic thing forward - during the startup sequence, but they actually don't move down...therefore the white thing can't move (and I assume it's supposed to move/extend forward then back to perform its squeegee function.) And that's when the startup sequence fails and the error code appears. Can anyone with a working machine tell me, is the tray with the absorber pads supposed to move down out of the way and the white thing moves forward during the startup? If so, any idea on how to fix mine so it does that? Thanks for any help.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by sbRECeekay (7/5/11 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Friends, following up to plead for assistance...Without removing covers, sides, etc., I did manage to access the guts of the machine and tried the solutions posted: cleaned the squeegee thing, cleaned the aborber pads and all around them (20 q-tips), made sure white plastic thing with squeegee moved to back position. But the problem remains. When I restart the machine, it looks like the white plastic squeegee thing tries to move forward, but it can't because the tray with the absorber pads blocks it. The tray and absorber pads seem to be "popped up" too high and it looks like they start to move down out of the way - they are obviously on some spring mechanism because i can reach in and push them down and hold them down, then manually pull the white plastic thing forward - during the startup sequence, but they actually don't move down...therefore the white thing can't move (and I assume it's supposed to move/extend forward then back to perform its squeegee function.) And that's when the startup sequence fails and the error code appears. Can anyone with a working machine tell me, is the tray with the absorber pads supposed to move down out of the way and the white thing moves forward during the startup? If so, any idea on how to fix mine so it does that? Thanks for any help.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Birgitta (10/4/11 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Thank you guys!!!!
Your information was of grate value. I managed to fix my MP610 by my self, 9.30 PM :-)

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by aussiegypsy (10/11/11 2:56 AM) reply + / -
thanks for all the info above - the printer (IP4300) hadn't been used for several years and kept giving the service error 6A00 ... it was either fix it myself or bin it cos I'm nowhere near a service centre. Before pulling it apart I tried taking out each of the print cartridges and clicking them in several times, manually moving the cartridge holder across from side to side, a few muttered words while I did all this .... and WOW it now works!! Thanks again for explaining where to start with this one

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by aussiegypsy (edited 10/11/11 3:02 AM) reply + / -

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by sarah8035 (11/23/11 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Great advice :)
I just opened up the lid and cleaned the roller with some cotton buds, et voila!
Saved me a lot of grief, and totally worth getting my hands dirty

Re: Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by tracicot2 (11/28/11 7:37 PM) reply + / -
It worked, thank you.

canon Pixma ip4200 error - 6A00 by nyamo (1/11/12 6:12 PM) reply + / -
Thank you people for the many helpful advices.
I was able to fix the 6a00 by removing the little piece of paper under the ink cartridge rest. I didn't notice it (since it is a similar white with the plastic construction) until I started to poke at it with soldering assist tools (tweezers will do too.) this just saved me a bunch of time, hassle and money.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by bobbybea (3/5/12 1:02 PM) reply + / -
I just had this error on my MP600. The model number might tell you how long I have had this machine. First time any sort of error! Love Canon! Anyway, as suggested, I opened the cover, slid the print head/cartridges to the left, took them all out and reseated them, then slid print head all the way to th eleft and used a dry paper towel to swab aounrd inside and clean up four or so years worth of ink residue. My old friend, the MP600, is working like a charm once more!

Thanks, All!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by baza (4/2/12 2:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks guys just cleaned the little slider and it works a treat,now need some tips on how to get the bloody ink of my fingers, I look like a fully paid up member of the black hand gang

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Mebsi (4/21/12 5:54 AM) reply + / -
cool mine is fixed too. I think I do remember reefing a chunk of paper out just before it stopped working? it is really satisfying, being able to fix stuff isn't it? and it makes me happy the way so many people want to help :)

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by PissedOffITGuy (8/1/12 5:31 PM) reply + / -
I shot mine with a shotgun and it turned out fine for me. You might want to try that.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by sukim (10/28/12 12:03 PM) reply + / -
Thanks every one. I shook my canon printer really fast and now 6A00 has disappeared.

Re: 6A00 on my MX850 by jlh (3/13/13 10:51 AM) reply + / -
The photo was very helpful to correction my problem of a 6A00 code. I don't understand how you got such a photo,really good.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by BAB (9/4/13 7:38 AM) reply + / -
I have tried to get back to a few people who have writen me directly but for some unknown reason their emails come back as not a valid email address. So lets try it this way.
On the newer printers, if your getting a 6A00 error or a printhead not installed error or not the correct printhead error, try doing this. Its a very simple procedure and its the one we Canon guys swear by. Open the printer so the carriage assemble centers, then remove the ink tanks and the printhead. Turn off the unit, you can even unplug it for a few seconds or a minute or two.
Now turn it back on, yes with the cover closed, it should return the carriage assemby to the purge unit, then it will do a complete post and then it if it comes on the screen to install the printhead, your troubles are over. Just install a NEW printhead because the old one has gone south for the winter. Check your ink tanks, if any are empty in the front, replace them thats what burned out the old printhead.
New printhead and fresh full inks should restore your printer to its former glory days!

BAB
Canon Auth. Tech!

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by witzzzend (9/13/13 8:10 AM) reply + / -
I had the 6A00 message on my Pixma MP610 right after changing an ink cartridge so it didn't take a genius to work out it was something to do with the inking mechanism. Thanks to this forum and a video on YouTube - search for "PIXMA MP800 Error 6A00 Fix" -
I just slid the cartridge cradle to the extreme left, peered to the bottom right and saw a small white plastic rectangle covered in gooey ink. A quick swab with a tissue, one inky finger and the problem was solved.
I had 6A00 happen once before when the printer was under warranty and it took PC World 2 weeks to fix it (of course it might have been one of the many other causes of this catch-all error code).

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by dddiam (1/7/14 2:32 PM) reply + / -
According to the service manual, one of the causes for a 6A00 error is that the waste ink pads need changing.

A long time ago, I frequently got a different error code indicating that my waste ink pads needed changing. I bought the kit, which contained about 35 felt pads of assorted shapes. I reset the error in my printer, so that I would stop getting that error message, but I never got around to replacing the pads. I guess that my procrastination has caught up with me ;-(

BTW, You can download a service manual from www.timtaylor.net/tech/iP4000%20Service%20Manual.pdf‎

-David D.

Re: 6A00 on my MX850 by cm477 (2/15/14 10:06 PM) reply + / -
For those of you having difficulty seeing into the printer and finding the white (but black with ink) plastic sponges, use your smartphone to provide light and closeup video of the area. It is still difficult, but easier than removing all the covers to get access to this area.

This link also has detailed instructions: http://cityinfrastructure.com

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by hsxnl (4/22/14 4:54 PM) reply + / -
Error 6A00: AP position error. The printhead controller cannot position the print head correctly.
This can be caused by [1] a blockage (by the purge unit), [2] lack of grease on the carriage shaft, or [3] a damaged timing strip (QC1-4284-00 - Film Timing slit strip), or [4] a defective sensor (in carriage unit).
In my case, I found some ink on the strip, obscuring some of the slits, causing the fault. The strip is easily removed and cleaned (with warm water and soap or IPA using a soft tissue). Remounting the cleaned strip resolved my 6A00 problem.

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by Kaarin Engelmann (7/14/14 2:00 AM) reply + / -
I love all of you for solving my problem :)

Re: canon Pixma ip4000 error - 6A00 by krc (8/20/14 8:08 AM) reply + / -
I have a Canon Pixma 4500 printer. I replaced a cyan cartridge, the printer was working fine prior to this. Once I got the cartridge in place all the lights went out on all cartridges and then the ink cartridge carrier would not return to the right, or center when the lid was open. After doing some research on-line I can see the auto purge unit is not working properly. The absorb. pad try is staying down so the squeegees are not moving correctly either. I have cleaned all pads, printhead, unplugged the unit, tried a reset... Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters