fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by mlbenton (3/15/06 4:31 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi Gang - lately I've had several people bring in the above officejets with scanner errors. Cleaning and lubing etc does not help. The machines sometimes work but mostly they make a ripping sound and give the message scanner error. The reset procedures (3#, or 6#) do not work. Sometimes the "fix" will hold for a few days/weeks or unfortunately hours! I'm thinking we need to change the scanner motors?? Any ideas or comments or has anyone successfully fixed this scanner error for the long term? If so, how???

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by gcinelli (10/4/06 7:20 AM) reply + / -
OfficeJet 9130 now same crap. "Scanner Error" reflased the firmware and same thing. motor and bulbs seem good. Ordering a replacement from HP and I will figure this one out and post. Most likely same issue with the whole line of officejets. Stupid motor or alike. Oh yeah, cleaning the scanner lens and mirrors repairs the 71XX series may want to try that on those.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by ghengisk (12/17/06 12:43 PM) reply + / -
I have same Scanner Failure error as everyone else, but mine stops the whole machine from functioning or ever getting started. DOnt know what to do .
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Newman

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (1/23/07 9:34 PM) reply+1 + / -
I don't know if this might help, but I talked to a support guy about a different problem for my 7410 and he had me unplug the unit, hold down the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons while plugging it back in, powering back up the light flashed a couple times, then powering back up again reset the unit.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by okrahead (4/19/07 10:17 AM) reply+1 + / -
Hello Mlebenton, I repaired a 2100 series that a friend of mine was throwing out because the cost to repair at BestBuy would have been prohibitive. The scanner kept on making a grinding sound like the gears on the scanner mechanism would not stop after it returned to the rt. side of the scanner. I then discovered that there is a white strip under the scanner glass that signals the scanner mechanism to stop when it reaches the end of it's cycle. I removed the scanner glass and cleaned the strip. (It won't look dirty) but I cleaned it anyway and I never had a problem with the scanner again (or the printer) My reasoning was, there must be a "limit switch" that would signal the scanner mechanism to stop when it reached the parked position and could not figure out why it would not stop.. that's what is making that grinding sound...the motor keeps moving and the gears are grinding against each other! I hope this helps.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by okrahead (4/19/07 10:27 AM) reply+6 + / -
I would appreciate instructions on how to disassemble a HP Officejet 7210 All-in-One. I keep getting the error message; "carriage jam..open door and clear jam then press OK" I tried resetting the default settings, (e.g., #6, #9), replacing the cartridges, unplugging/replugging (waiting the 30 secs.), and following the protocol given to me by the "techs" from HP (worthless) and still the error message hasn't been resolved.

The carriage moves if it is not at the extreme rt. hand position (over the ink well mechanism), but it does not move very much.. only about 2 inches or so and never resets to the rt. hand side.

I want to disassemble this printer (hp officejet 7210) to see if the carriage motor needs replacing. Can anyone give me instructions on how to disassemble this monster or any pointers on clearing the "carriage jam" issue before I throw it out of a window?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by okrahead (4/29/07 6:26 PM) reply + / -
Mo, I tried your suggestion and getting the same error message: "Carriage Jam. Open door. Clear carriage jam, and then press OK." The orange exclamation mark is flashing too! I think if the carriage motor was bad the carriage would not move at all. On my machine the carriage moves, but only very little and the cogged belt (right above and in back of the "clear reader strip) is not broken and has all it's cogs. I don't know how else to resolve this problem of the error message

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nat Miller (4/29/07 7:22 PM) reply + / -
I replace a motor for a used parts machine and it did the trick. Only way I've found to fix this problem. We need to start looking for broken "like kind" models to get the motors from.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by okrahead (4/29/07 9:03 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hello Nat, I will replace the motor with one from a site posted in one of these forums. Can you point me in the right direction regarding disassembling this All-in-One (7210 HP) Please advise

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by oliver glispie (5/31/07 11:12 AM) reply + / -
Error problems with color cartridge even hp carts. Ink flow icons will not work any more. have a new hp cartridges in the unit,the icons still does not work NEED help with this problem . This printer is 4 months old. Hp claims it must be the carts that I am using.Have tried approx 6 different one same thing.
This started about 3 weeks ago. Does any one have any suggestions?? Thank in advance.

Oliver

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by okrahead (5/31/07 5:43 PM) reply + / -
Yes, it was repaired, but I did not have a scanner problem. I kept on getting "carriage jam" and the orange exclamation point would always flash. The problem was, the carriage was not treaded properly through the clear plastic reader strip. That strip tells the carriage where it is at all time via tiny markings on it. The carriage move when I put it in a different position, but not go back to it's starting location. It works fine now. If I can find out anything about your scanner problem I will let you know.

Okra

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (7/17/07 4:03 PM) reply + / -
I've got an OfficeJet 9130 that locks-up and displays "Scanner Error" after each print. Just wondering how you made out with your problem. Thanks! -- Allen

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by kathymccown (8/5/07 4:50 PM) reply + / -
do any of you know what to do about the 7210 not dropping the rollers on the ADF? Mine has never done it. I sent off for the roller/pick replacement and have not installed yet, cause I have no exploded view or anything else to use as instructions. The guy at HP assured me it would come with no instructions. Like they would be helpful anyway, from them. anyone got any idea of how to replace without breaking everything, or if I have to replace the assembly?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jonathan_r (8/6/07 3:52 PM) reply + / -
I'm in the same situation (to a point) as okrahead.
My 7410 has the same error message, but does it while actually printing. The symptom is that if I do a "6#" power up it will print, sometime a page, sometimes several, and then it begins moving the lines of print from left to right until I get the error message.
If I lift the top, move the carriage back and forth several times, close, and press the "OK" button, it may print a page and then the error repeats.
I have tried cleaning the strip with Q-Tips and distilled water and it did remove some "stuff" but the error persists.
I'm almost tempted to use some WD-40 on the carriage metal bar but think that a petroleum based lube won't be healthy. I have tried applying powdered graphite via Q-Tip, but it isn't helping.
Any thoughts, impressions, mystical chants, VooDoo spells, etc. will be deeply appreciated.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Bert (8/6/07 4:16 PM) reply + / -
Don't use WD40. It is allegedly not plastic friendly (and stinks besides). If your printer is typical of later HP printers, the carriage does not run metal bushings on the carriage rod. Also, spraying an aerosol product into a printer is generally not a good idea because it's going to get in places that you don't want it, on rubber parts for example. Use Tri-Flow that is available at cycle shops or the synthetic lubricant sold on this website.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jonathan_r (8/12/07 6:35 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert.... I got Tri-Flow at the local bike shop, cleaned the rail and applied with a Q-Tip, I also cleaned the strip again with Q-Tip and distilled water, but the problem persists.

I found that if it stalls and gives me the error message, I can do a power down/3# restart and it works for a while (4 or 5 sheets) and then the error returns.

The symptom is that it is printing, and then the left margin (and the line of information being printed) starts "indenting/tabbing" it's way across the sheet until it stops itself.

Any thoughts??? I have tried surrounding it with garlic and standing a small cross on top but that doesn't seem to be keeping the demons at bay.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Bert (8/12/07 7:37 PM) reply + / -
See the Nat Miller (4/29/07 7:22 PM) post on this thread. I don't know the P/N for the motor. Maybe Nat's "source" is the only option for now.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by rolo (8/14/07 7:54 AM) reply + / -
i have this same problem on many machines.when i feed thru the scanner it grinds and gives scanner failure,when i copy off glass it works fine but if i fax off the glass it gives scanner failure

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Bert (8/14/07 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Why the scanner gets lost (the belt slips and causes the grinding sound) in some modes and not others is a mystery. Based on the assumption that your model of OJ has the same basic scanner innards as the OJ 7110, clean the following parts that are involved in indexing the scanner head.

Remove the scanner glass an clean the under side paying special attention to the white strip on the far right

Clean the encoder disk on drive motor using a cotton swab and water.

Clean the scanner lamp and mirror with a cotton swab sparingly moistened with Windex or a similar product. The mirror is in the long slot.

Let us know if this cures the problem.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Dov (8/16/07 7:39 AM) reply + / -
I need a new carriage with wiring for a 7310.
1) Where is a good place to by HP Parts?
2) Where can I find a diagram or service instructions?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jmcdermo (9/7/07 9:28 PM) reply+1 + / -
Had a 7310 die. Rain came in the window and puddled on and around the printer. Dried everything off, or so we thought. The printer powered up and we thought were OK. The next day, no power to printer.

Thought it was the power supply, but I just received the replacement power brick and still no power to the printer.

Question: is there a fuse or something I could check/replace to bring this thing back to life? How do I take this thing apart to check if there is something obvious?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Jersey Jack (9/17/07 1:54 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have the same problem the carriage assemply needs to be replaced you'll a tin metal strip at near the carriage belt once that is warped the machine becomes inopperable.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by brenjesh (9/18/07 9:51 AM) reply + / -
I am geting this error message 0x886a7a16. Can you help with a solution for this one.

Thanks
Brenell

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by MichaelTech (9/18/07 11:05 AM) reply + / -
The carriage stalls are usually because of the service station stalling out. Try removing the built-up mountain of ink that will cause this. The scanner trouble is a bit of a drag, but once you can get it out, there is really only one spot that needs to be cleaned. the small square mirror on the edge is for calibration. Try this: Plug unit in, when scanner starts to move, unplug.Do this 5-6 times to get the scanner out over half way. Restart, and see if it will retract.
Paper jams that are pulled out incorrectly can rotate the print mech out of it's alignment. Remove back panel. and rotate the rollers until the kicker bar in front re-seats. Luck to all.

Re: Office-jet Series 7210/7310/7410 by RBGBRIG (11/25/07 1:53 PM) reply+3 + / -
My 7410 gives the error "remove and check cartridge on the right". I have removed, and cleaned all contacts on both carts and replaced the black with a new HP with no difference. All the contacts look fine. The right black cartridge holder had the tab that holds the guide spring broken but I epoxied the spring in position. It looks positioned fine, just like the other cart. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (12/10/07 10:50 AM) reply+1 + / -
okra,
Is there any chance you could send me directions on how to reset the postion of the carrige? I'm have the same issue you describe.

Thank you,
Tom

Re: Re: Office-jet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (12/10/07 11:36 AM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/50913

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Mot (12/14/07 5:55 PM) reply + / -
Help!! I have an HP OfficeJet 7310,When I do a Print Cartridge alignment it seems to return home during alignment very irraticle and I'm always receiving an error message that reads Carriage Jam,clear carrage jam then press O.K. This does not solve my problem. Some how this does not come as a shock to me.. The printing is crocked and runs off the paper but is ledgible. Is there an encoder or something that tells the carrage where it is during printing(I think it is lost)
Does this make any sense

Thanks
Mot
Printeralittlebit

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (12/14/07 6:28 PM) reply + / -
Should be a metal strip with laser cut openings along it. It runs through the cartridges and hooks up at either end of the printer.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by snscorc (3/7/08 2:04 PM) reply + / -
We have the same problem you are experiencing with faxing. We tried to fax from the glass, the printer grinds and then gives a failure. Did you ever get resolution to your problem?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by silentmaster101 (3/27/08 9:01 AM) reply + / -
I have a Officejet 7210 that when it scans from the auto document feeder, will pull the page in about half way, then the motor makes a revving sound, then jams. but if i pull the (sometimes mangled)paper out, and reset it, it feeds just fine. it makes no sense, it sounds like a belt or motor, or gear is striped/burned out, but it works fine when reset for a few scans/copies. It doesnt make a difference if a computer is connected or how long it has been on or anything that i can tell. i have tested it with(and ruined) about 30-35 separate pieces of paper. i have resorted to just writing squiggly lines on blank printer paper to keep it from ruining important stuff after the first two tries.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by nowayjose90027 (3/27/08 11:59 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have a 7210 that after turning it on, it reports that it needs paper loaded for an alignment. I press ok. It asks to start the alignment, I press ok. It then reports a carriage jam. YET before this happens the carriage moves back and forth normally. If I attempt to cancel the alignment. It continues to want to run the alignment. I have done a partial, semi full, and Full reset of the printer. No change. After the reset it reports that the cartridges are used (which they are).

My question is what caliber of bullet should I use to put this out of it's misery?

Re: Re: Office-jet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (4/1/08 2:51 PM) reply + / -
When that spring breaks, it puts a hole in the ribbon cable breaking at least one connection for that cartridge. The only repair I've found is to replace the carriage assembly.

Re: Re: Re: Office-jet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (4/1/08 5:09 PM) reply + / -
Why waste the time and money when HP is replacing the whole printer under extended warranty?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (4/10/08 1:47 PM) reply + / -
I just bought a 7210 off Ebay for 99 pence (ex 14 delivery) within the description was "Carriage Jam" message so I knew it was faulty. 20 mins of Googling and a 5 minute clean has it up and running.

It did not involve loosening a single screw.

Okay, here's what I did...

- Switch on the printer.

- Open the print cartridge lid.

- Pull the plug from the back of the machine to avoid risk of electric shock.

- Using a light cleaning solution on a lint-free cloth, carefully VERY CAREFULLY, wipe the position strip (on both sides, front and back), then dry it with a dry lint-free cloth. Now move the cartridge carriage to the left and clean and dry the remaining half of the position strip. If you bend this position strip, your printer is knackered.

- Gently move the carriage back to the right.

- Holding down the OK and CANCEL buttons, plug in the power lead to the back of the printer and press the POWER button.

- Wait until the message DERIV CLEAR ('Deriv' is right - I'm not sure about 'clear' now) appears then release the OK and CANCEL buttons.

- The printer should thrash about a little, the carriage will move back and forth and then it should tell you the cartridges need changing and you follow the instructions, pressing OK or selecting the language options.

- It will print an alignment page and then you should be good to go.

I am a comms technician, I poke, I tweak. I don't give up.

Good Luck to you!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Sekhar (4/16/08 4:18 AM) reply + / -
I have HP Officejet 7210. I am facing "Carriage Jam" problem. How to separate the scanner unit. Could you illustrate the methods. Thanks

Sekhar

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jaykay (5/10/08 7:09 AM) reply + / -
you said your "carriage jam" has been repaired..
can you tell me how? I am experiencing the same problems with my 7310.
Thanks in advance.

Jan

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (5/10/08 4:46 PM) reply+3 + / -
To Sekhar and JayKay, read my post carefully. Sekhar, there is NO need to separate the scanner unit.

Simply lift the lid that allows you access to change the print cartridges.

The position strip is a shiny white band that stretches from one side of the printer to the other and it passes behind the print cartridge carrier. Looking at it closely it appears to be a light grey colour. This is because there are hundreds of tiny slots precision cut into it by a laser. This is used to determine the position of the cartridge carrier. If this strip is dirty with dust or ink splashes, the printer is unable to determine the position of the cartridge carrier and the "cartridge failure" message appears.

By carefully cleaning this strip, you remove the dust and dirt that screws up the position sensor, leading to the error message.

Just be VERY careful about cleaning it. If you break it, the printer is toast.

Good Luck!

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (5/13/08 7:54 AM) reply + / -
Well, your optimism has my courage up...

To that end I have assembled Q-tips, a "soft cloth", garlic, wolfsbane, and a cross.

I think I can access through the opening used to change ink.

Questions:

Is this best done by removing the strip, cleaning, and reinstalling?

Is it better to do it while it's in the printer?

When you say "light cleaning solution", exactly what are you referring to? (please... name of company and product)

Is using a Q-tip instead of a cloth a better solution based upon access and "fat finger syndrome"?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (5/13/08 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Do NOT remove the strip. You will be very sorry if you do. You really don't want to disassemble that printer to reattach it. It's a total nightmare to do so. Clean it in place and be very, very gentle as if you mess it up or kink it, it's all over for you. q tips are useless as they can't get the back side. You don't really need any liquid, but if you insist on using some, window cleaner (any brand) will work good.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (5/14/08 4:06 AM) reply + / -
Re: 'Fat Finger' syndrome... I have fat fingers.

Shaky fingers are more problematic... or sever nervous tics / spasms in your hands.

As Moe has stated, DO NOT remove the strip. I was able to clean the strip by gently wiping the front and back with kitchen tissue, moistened with some water and a few drops of washing up liquid thoroughly mixed in. The ink is water based so clean water should be sufficient.

If you want to use a q-tip, that's your call. I'm NOT suggesting that you bend the end of the q-tip over at a right angle to help get at the back of the position strip.

As I stated, I used fat fingers and kitchen tissue. The most important tip I can give you is to be very patient. It took me five minutes.

That may sound like a short blink in the great scheme of things but the strip could probably be wiped, back and front, in about 40 seconds...

Which is why it took me five minutes... I made sure I was comfortably positioned before I started and I stopped a couple of times in the middle of the cleaning to change position.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (5/14/08 4:09 AM) reply + / -
Yeah, I just noticed this in my original post.

The printer has to be switched on first, before you start as opening the lid to gain access to the print cartridges will release the cartridge carrier and allow you to move it gently from one side to the other to clean both ends (right & left) and both sides (front & back) of the position strip.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (5/30/08 10:48 PM) reply + / -
I have the same carriage jam problem and have tried all of the other suggestions. May I have a copy of the viedo to tread the carriage properly?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (6/1/08 7:14 AM) reply + / -
@ "anonymous" re: "attach control" message.

Sorry, I have no idea what this means.

After I cleaned it, I performed the 'hard reset' key combination detailed here:

http://www.fixya.com

Scroll down to Prani's entry entitled "Best Solution".

Read the procedure, but when it mentions # and 6, use # and 9.

Prani also makes this the 9th step for a full reset.

Beyond that, I'd have to see the printer on my bench to work out what's wrong. It may be too far gone to fix.

I guess I have been very. very lucky with my printer.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by wernerj (6/9/08 5:44 PM) reply + / -
Same message Carraige jam.

I can not get the print cartridges out because a bar poped up in front of the cartridges. It has a white label on it with a circle and an arrow at the bottom. On the right side of the bar there is a circle with lines coming out from all around it. The circles look like the print on button. Why did this bar pop up?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 - 9130 by Anonymous (6/25/08 11:31 PM) reply + / -
Hello there,

Can you please provide me with the soluton of fixing the officejet 9130 scanner lock problem?

Thanks.

Murtaza

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 - 9130 by Anonymous (6/25/08 11:35 PM) reply + / -
Hello there,

Can you please provide me with the soluton of fixing the officejet 9130 scanner lock problem?

Thanks.

Murtaza

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (6/26/08 7:04 AM) reply + / -
Murtaza - "SCANNER LOCK" is a hardware fault and not a software fault.

Have a look around the scanner area for a sliding switch that has an open padlock at one end and a closed padlock at the other end. Make sure this switch is pushed towards the open padlock.

During transit, and to avoid damage to the scanner mechanism, the scanner assembly is physically locked in place by this switch.

Officejet 9130 by Anonymous (6/26/08 12:22 PM) reply + / -
Hello Mat,

Thanks for your email.

The scanner is already unlocked but I am still getting the error message that the scanner is locked.

Any help will highly be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Murtaza

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (6/29/08 12:55 PM) reply + / -
Many thanks. The lady whos priinter i was fxing had jammed a piece of newspaper into the scanner. cold restarting it then going through the language menus help imensly.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (8/14/08 5:55 PM) reply + / -
so did you get the little goody to go down to access the cartridges? I have a 7310 and it is not a bar, but a little piece of plastic that acts as a bar. My carriage is frozen so I can't try the recommendations I have seen. I can't even get the cartridges out or move the carriage at all.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (8/14/08 11:31 PM) reply + / -
Hi Anon.

Re your 7310, you can usually unlock the cartridge by switching the printer on, then, while the cartridge unit moves back and forth to prepare itself and the printer goes through its start up check, you pull the power supply plug from the rear of the unit.

The cartridge should now be loose to move back and forth so you can attempt any cleaning work.

Hope this helps,

MM

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 - 9130 by Matchstalk Man (8/15/08 12:17 AM) reply + / -
Murtaza,

I do not know how to help you with this problem. There are no manuals to download from HP's site and the FAQ's are restricted in scope.

Maybe you should consider contacting HP directly with as full an explanation and maybe some pictures of the messages to help them determine the fault and how to fix it.

MM

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (9/8/08 10:07 AM) reply + / -
We had our 7210 die! It gives us an error message 0x8865e35e. We were able to get this far by pushing and holding down the cancel and OK buttons before plugging in the power. Otherwise, the screen shows the black box going across and then nothing! The power light goes off while the screen is still on. Can this 7210 be saved?

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by sueson (10/9/08 11:39 AM) reply + / -
OMgosh!!!! trhank you bless you...you have fixed my PROBLEM!!!!!!
YEAH! halleluyah!!!
I did exactly what you stated here and alsoprayed while doing it too. but it is fixed glory to God and you....
thank you
Susan

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (10/28/08 4:44 PM) reply + / -
What did you do to solve this problem? I have the exact same thing happening to my 7310.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (10/30/08 12:11 AM) reply + / -
@ Anonymous, posted 10/28/08 4:44 PM.

Is your problem as described above? What is happening to your 7310 exactly?

If you are getting a "Carriage Jam" message, I have reproduced an amended copy of my posts above.

------------------

I bought a 7210 off Ebay. Within the description was "Carriage Jam" message so I knew it was faulty. 20 mins of Googling and a 5 minute clean has it up and running. I was also given a 7410 that 'wouldn't print properly'. I performed a clean on each of them and they are fine now. The 7410 is in daily use at my office desk.

Be aware that your printer may have suffered damage that cannot be repaired by cleaning. If after cleaning the encoder strip, you still have problems, either contact HP for an approved repairer to give you an estimate or take it to a PC repair shop for an estimate.

My cleaning method did not involve loosening a single screw.

Before you start, visit the HP page for clarification on what to look for.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Okay, here's what I did...

- Switch on the printer.

- Open the print cartridge lid. This unlocks the cartridge cradle and it will start to move to the left.

- Immediately pull the small plug from the back of the machine to avoid risk of electric shock. This will also cause the cartridge cradle to stop dead but allow it to be moved gently with light pressure.

- Look inside. You will see the encoder strip. It's a piece of white plastic that runs behind the cartridge holder. It appears grey, but it is actually full of tiny vertical slots which allow the printer to work out the position of the cartridge cradle. It's a VERY important item.

- Using a light cleaning solution of clean water mixed with a drop of washing up liquid on a piece of kitchen tissue, carefully, VERY CAREFULLY, wipe the left hand side of the encoder strip (on both sides, front and back), then dry it with a dry piece of kitchen tissue. You may use clean water on its own as the ink is water based. I used a little washing up liquid because of the environment in which the printer had been used.

- Now move the cartridge cradle all the to the left and carefully clean and dry the remaining right half of the encoder strip. If you kink the encoder strip, your printer is knackered.

- Make sure your hands are dry.

- Gently move the carriage cradle back to the right.

- Holding down the OK and CANCEL buttons on the control panel with one hand, plug in the power lead to the back of the printer with your other hand and then press the POWER button.

- Wait until the message DERIV CLEAR ('Deriv' is right - I'm not sure about 'clear' now) appears then release the OK and CANCEL buttons.

- The printer should thrash about a little, the carriage cradle will move back and forth and then it may tell you the cartridges need changing. Follow the instructions, pressing OK or selecting the language options.

- It will print an alignment page and then you should be good to go.

After I cleaned it, I also performed the 'hard reset' key combination detailed here:

http://www.fixya.com

Scroll down to Prani's entry entitled "Best Solution".

Read the procedure, but when it mentions # and 6, use # and 9.

Prani also makes this the 9th step for a full reset.

Beyond that, I'd have to see the printer on my bench to work out what may be wrong. It may be too far gone to fix.

I guess I have been very. very lucky with my printers.

Good Luck to you!

I accept no responsibility for any damage that may be caused to your printer if you choose to follow the advice above. If you are in any doubt about what to do or you cannot locate any item as described above, you should seek the help of a professional to carry out the work for you.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (11/4/08 8:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks everyone for their posts.
I thought that my printer was a dumpster item.

I cleaned the encoder strip with water and a little soap, dried the surface, and poof, it works.

I just did the alignment and all appears to be well.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (11/5/08 3:13 PM) reply + / -
I too have the "Scanner Failure" with my 7310.

I get a grinding/whirring noise coming from the scanner motor
with certain operations. I have lost the functionality of
using my ADF, and faxing because of this motor problem.

The scanner head is able to move up and down the rod without
problem on the slow speed. However, the problem is when the
scanner head needs to move to one end quickly, which causes
grinding noise from the motor. The fax and ADF require the
faster speed, which is why these functions don't work.

I have done the following to trying to fix my predicament:

1. clean cover glass facing bed.
2. clean underneath cover glass, which also includes the black
bar with white strip.
3. Clean the mirrors on the scanner head with a Qtip and Isopropol Alcohol.
4. Attempt to see if the ribbon is out of alignment. Ribbon
looks good.
5. Ribbon is also attached to the scanner head.
6. Use the Qtip and Isopropol Alcohol to clean the transparent
wheel on the motor.
7. Clean the scanner light using the Qtip and Isopropol Alcohol
(very gently).

However, none of this seems to have solved my problem. Right
now, I'm thinking this may be the following:

1. Ribbon slippage on scanner head.
---At this point, I tend to discount this, as I was able to open
the top while attempting to do a test fax. The scanner head
moved slowly to scan the page. On the return trip, it used
the high speed to attempt to come back. In this case, the
scanner head made it half-way back, and then the grinding noise
kicked in.

2. Motor Overdrive. The high speed motor is accelerating beyond
its means, and then shuts down.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by tkilbour (1/15/09 2:39 PM) reply + / -
I have the same scanner failure as Anonymous. It definately appears to be related to the speed of the scanner head. I had the same failure mode with ADF and also when I set the number of copies to more than 1. For normal copying the head seems to return at a relatively slow speed. However, with multiple copies the head tries to go back at high speed and the "jam" occurs. The high speed is also used for ADF copying and scanning. I took the printer apart and couldn't find any obvious wear on any of the parts. I cleaned everything and lubricated the rod, all to no avail.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (1/15/09 2:47 PM) reply + / -
I have another thread at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/59262. Person there said it was the motor. I'm posting over to that thread for an update.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by kmburns (1/31/09 3:14 PM) reply + / -
I had a "carriage jam" error message.

My son gently wiped down the metalic strip that tells the carriage where it is. It worked for a couple of days and then the "carriage jam" message came back.

I took my 7210 apart, took the drive belt off/put it back on (not easy), and found nothing wrong with it. So, I put it back together. I noticed that if I pushed the print carriage all the way to the left, closed the lid, and pressed "OK", the print carriage would move a couple of inches to the right. It did this repeatedly. I figured the motor was working, but there was too much friction on the carriage. I put some 3-in-one oil on my finger and put a thin coat on the front, top, and back of the rod that the print carriage rides on. I then ran the carriage back and forth about 20 times. I closed the lid and it works fine.

I had the same problem with my DVD player. The head was hanging up on the two chrome plated rods that supported the head. I put some 3-in-one oil on the rods, ran the head back and forth, and it has worked ever since.

You might also check the belt to make sure that there is nothing that might cause it to hang-up.

Kevin

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (2/3/09 5:25 PM) reply + / -
7310 with the same exact problem were you able to get this resolved and how

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (2/21/09 2:29 PM) reply + / -
I have the same issue with my 7410, and the little plastic bar has popped up locking the carriage in place. I unable to remove the cartridges as a result of this on/off bar. I have turned the machine off, disconnected it, rebooted it, and cleaned it. I am about to throw the thing out the window. Any suggestions on how to address the little plastic bar befor I do so.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by MatchstalkMan (2/22/09 5:26 AM) reply + / -
Anonymous - "plastic bar"

Turn the machine on as normal.

It should make a few noises and the print head cartridge unit should begin to move. Once you hear that movement, you pull the plug from the back or hit the switch on the wall outlet/socket.

DON'T turn off the printer using it's own on/off button.

You should now be able to gently move the print head cartridge back and forth.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jim moore (2/22/09 2:45 PM) reply + / -
This is the best answer I have gotten. And I am sure it would have worked. It clearly describes the problem I had and offers a sensible clear solution. Unfortunately I took it to a repair shop. They probably did the same thing and charged me $125.00 to do it. Thanks anyway and if it ever happens again, I know what to do. I can't believe HP could not supply this simple fix on their website. Or that they designed this fault into their printer.

Jim Moore

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by SW4 (edited 3/17/09 4:02 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Matchstalk Man for the detailed instructions. I was given a four year old 7310 from my office demonstrating the same carriage jam message and using your instructions I was able to get the message off the display screen...the printer even printed out an alignment page but when I go to print from the laptop or make a copy, it sounds like it's feeding alright and TRYING to print, but the page comes out half-way, blank, then stops and gives me the carriage jam msg again. should I just try a re-clean or is there an extra step I should try?

Many thanks,
SW4

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (3/17/09 8:20 PM) reply + / -
Hi SW4, I'm glad to hear you had some success with the instructions.

It might be a good idea to try a re-clean but you could also use a flashlight and check the inside of the paper path. Just make sure that there are no torn pieces of paper or loose bits like staples or paperclips in there.

Make sure the rear panel is secure as well. Take it out and check the paper path there as well.

You could even try an airduster (a proper airduster) to see if it will dislodge anything that may be blocking a sensor. I recall dislodging a piece of styrofoam that was causing a sensor fault in another HP printer some years ago.

Good Luck!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by SW4 (edited 3/18/09 5:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, MM...will try that and let you know how it comes out. I didn't know this before but according to a co-worker, with four years hard graft, it has NEVER had a clean or a good service, so that in itself must be the issue.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by SW4 (3/18/09 1:42 PM) reply + / -
Good News! I no longer get the carriage jam message!!

Bad News: It won't print from my PC or copy function. It will print out a cartrisge alignment sheet and will print out a test sheet, but won't print anything else.

Any ideas?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by kmb (3/18/09 7:55 PM) reply + / -
I was able to fix my 7210 by taking it apart and lubricating the bar that the carriage rides on. But it has crapped out again and the carriage won't move at all. I think there is some kind of drag on the motor or the carriage that is causing the motor to stall.

Performing the steps described above, i.e., pulling the cord when the carriage motor started to move did not fix the problem.

I paid $250 for this 7210 and I've only gotten about 100 copies out of this thing. I am going to make this piece of crap work.

It's funny. My HP 7210 printer at home stopped working. I went to work to print and not one of the HP printers (about a half-dozen) were working. In another building at work, we have 3 more HP printers and none of those work properly. I'll never buy another HP printer.

If I get it to work again, I will post a solution.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (3/19/09 9:58 AM) reply + / -
SW4, You may be unlucky in that a circuit board has become disconnected inside the casing.

Or something else.

I'm sorry to say that it is beyond my experience to guide you on getting into the case. I have been supremely lucky with mine.

If the printer is able to print out the alignment and test sheets, that part of the printer is okay.

If the PC can see the printer and send a test page, but not print then the issue must be between the printer USB socket and the main board in the printer. The printer USB board is only there to handshake with the PC to establish a connection.

As for the copy function, that will probably also be connected via a daughter board to the main board. I guess you are not able to scan either, are you?

That's what makes me think it has a loose connector. It's unlikely to be a software fault - unless something serious overloaded the firmware.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by kmb (4/19/09 9:58 PM) reply + / -
I fixed my printer problem by moving it to another location and plugging it in. It appears that it was a delivered voltage problem. The external power converter doesn't appear to like sharing an outlet with other appliances.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (4/20/09 8:33 PM) reply + / -
I have the HP 7210 all in one printer I cannot send a fax or scan. The Printer says scanner failure. I have cleaned the rollers and dusted the glass. I have done the partial and semi reset. The printer is plugged in the wall outlet by itself. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. All it will do is print from web pages or microsoft office programs. When I do what you suggest it starts initializing then it tells me to check for stuck buttoms and will go no further and to turn it off. So I do and then when it powers back up I get scanner failure again.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by aden (6/9/09 10:18 PM) reply + / -
I ordered the roller assembly (bracket with 2 rollers on it) and can't figure out a way to remove the old one to put this one on. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks, DAB

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (7/5/09 11:33 AM) reply + / -
I recieve a close document feeder cover message when it is already closed. I have a hp officejet 7210. What can I do to make it go away. Can't do anything. Thanks robin

Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by MervynG (10/9/09 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Tried to scan earlier today with my 7210 from a network connected iMac but it couldn't locate the 7210 all-in-one. I then realised that in updating the OS to 10.6 Snow Leopard, the drivers became part of the system and new menus were installed. When I tried these new menus, they could 'see' the 7210 but it refused to function with a status message 'service stall'.

I then thought I'd check the 7210 on its own by asking it for a copy. Initially it said wrong paper size although I was using A4 as I have always done and then it said no as the status message was still 'service stall'. Can't find any reference to this at all in the manual, at hp or on the web. Decided to do a partial reset #6 then a full reset #9 and finally another partial reset #3. Each time they progressed until it said 'please wait. Aligning cartridges' when it just sits there doing nothing in silence. Someone here suggested a firmware corruption. Is this possible and, if so, where can I get some new firmware? If not, are there any other ideas?

Thanks MG

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Anonymous (10/9/09 1:43 PM) reply + / -
I have a 7410 that loses it's place when printing.

The left hand margin begins indenting until the carraige stops.

From info shared here it sounds like the encoder strip has gone bad. I have tried cleaning it repeatedly, but it either does nothing or changes the location of the problem for a bit.

Anyone know where I can purchase a new encoder strip?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (10/9/09 6:01 PM) reply + / -
The 7410 had a metal encoder strip with slits cut in it. Cleaning would do no good. Some of the 7310 series had the transparent encoders made out of plastic. Those you could clean. Are any of the slits messed up? If not, your problem lies elsewhere. Replacement strips are not available except from junked machines.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (10/12/09 3:16 PM) reply + / -
Might I suggest that for the 7410 metal encoder strip, it may be possible (only a suggestion - I have not tried this) to put some kitchen paper in behind, then clean the strip as normal and use an airduster to clear any liquid from the slits in the metal strip.

The kitchen paper should absorb any moisture to stop it getting onto the rest of the printer.

Again, I must emphasise this is only a suggestion and anyone who tries this does so at their own risk.

If you're successful, please post here and describe what you did in as much detail as you can.

Cheers.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (10/12/09 3:23 PM) reply + / -
You do not want to clean metal encoders for 2 reasons. First is they don't need cleaning and second is the risk of damage due to bent strips. If for some bizarre reason they get dust in between the slits that block the sensor, then just blow the strip with some canned air. The older transparent strips did accumulate ink on them and simple cleaning with a paper towel and window cleaner is the recommended solution. Of course, care needs to be exercised as to not detach or rip the ends when cleaning the strip.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (10/12/09 4:03 PM) reply + / -
Many thanks for clarifying that, Moe.

I should have known better about the bent metal strip having had plenty of roll-up metal measuring tapes go bad over the years.

Point of information, folks - canned air and airdusters contain a mix of inert gases under pressure. They are designed not to become electro-statically charged when used, unlike compressed air from a compressor or the 'blow' outlet of a vacuum cleaner.

The name is a misnomer, they do not contain 'air'. The gases used are more dense than air and poisonous. Follow the instructions on the can to the letter.

The last thing you want in your electronics is static electricity.

Some local stores (Maplins, Tesco, Fred Meyer, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, RadioShack, Walgreens, Canadian Tire, Shopko, Target, and Wal-Mart, etc) usually stock these cans.

For the record, I have found that "Fellowes" air duster is fairly weak and "Servisol" is pretty strong. I use both depending on the sensitivity required. Maplin also do a good strong 'own-brand' air duster.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (10/12/09 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Care also needs to be exercised as some canned air is flammable as I found out the hard way. Was on-site and blew out the insides of a laser printer. Closed the top and flipped the power switch. There was a scary bang and flames shot out of all the openings. Fortunately, it was all show and the printer survived unscathed. This was an old-skool laser printer. The newer ones might blow up into a bunch of pieces as flimsy as they build them nowadays.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (10/13/09 4:50 AM) reply + / -
"There was a scary bang and flames shot out of all the openings."

I wish I could upload the little animation that is running in my head right now ...

The scene is some rocks near a desert road where Wile E. Coyote is cleaning a 7410 with 'ACME' canned air (yes, you've guessed it, it's the flammable variety!). The Road Runner zips by ("beep, beep") and trips the mains outlet switch on a rock face to 'ON'.

Point of view shot from above. Flash. Bang. A small cloud of smoke rises and disperses in a ring. A montage of desert views echo with a faint explosion.

Close up on the coyote whose face is blackened. He is holding a Q-tip which slowly disintegrates from the tip down into soot, his paw and leg disintegrate in a similar fashion. His other paw is curled into a claw like shape as if he had just been holding a can of canned air. This paw also disintegrates as before.

While looking right at the audience, he blinks twice. His head disintegrates.

Fade to black.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by shu shu (10/25/09 12:05 PM) reply + / -
i have a 7410 officejet all in one the machine has stopped working. the print on light will not come on. the blue menu light is on but can not print or fax. need help. thanks

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by beckndea (12/10/09 1:26 PM) reply + / -
i have a 7410 with many issues:(
i had windows xp, when i switched 2 vista i went online & updated drivers. when i tried 2 scan a picture in2 my comp using the "scan to" button. i had an error mgs that software wasnt installed for that feature. i can copy the picture using the copy color button, but if i try 2 set options (such as paper type, quality, ect),then push the copy color button, then the scanner sounds like it is going 2 work, then makes a grinding sound & gives me an scanner error msg. i did a partial, then full reset. now when i try 2 print from my computer, it tells me that it cant find a printer. i show my printer in control panel, but it says it is offline & will not let me put it online. i tried 2 add printer & it can not locate a printer. HELP!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by beckndea (12/10/09 1:29 PM) reply + / -
i have a 7410 with many issues:(
i had windows xp, when i switched 2 vista i went online & updated drivers. when i tried 2 scan a picture in2 my comp using the "scan to" button. i had an error mgs that software wasnt installed for that feature. i can copy the picture using the copy color button, but if i try 2 set options (such as paper type, quality, ect),then push the copy color button, then the scanner sounds like it is going 2 work, then makes a grinding sound & gives me an scanner error msg. i did a partial, then full reset. now when i try 2 print from my computer, it tells me that it cant find a printer. i show my printer in control panel, but it says it is offline & will not let me put it online. i tried 2 add printer & it can not locate a printer. HELP!

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by luluwoj (1/7/10 7:23 AM) reply + / -
Matchstalk Man's solution worked perfectly!! Thanks!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (1/7/10 9:38 AM) reply + / -
To: luluwoj

Thank you for the feedback. I'm happy to hear you are up and running again!

Matchstalk Man

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nancyellen (4/10/10 5:22 PM) reply + / -
how do I get rid of vertical line on the left side of my copies on the hp 7210 office jet series

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by cdag_99 (5/6/10 12:22 PM) reply + / -
My HP Officejet 7410 All-in-One was not rebooting and the light on the card breader camera was flashing and could not work and was an error on the display screen showing error 20 and I read earlier about the "OK" button and the "Cancel" button apllied at the same time and did not work, but when I rebooted holding down the "Cancel" button by itself the Printer rested to factory setting. So again holding down the cancel Button and rebooting the power button it reseted my printer.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by FattyHall (6/21/10 12:09 PM) reply + / -
THIS CLEANING OF THE PLASTIC GUIDE POSITION STRIP WORKS! This is the strip that is clear plastic that rests behind the printer ink carriage. Ink dust accumulates on the strip and the carriage cannot tell where it is and the printer comes up with the 'Carriage Jam' ! message.

Just clean it!!!!
Thanks matchstick man

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Matchstalk Man (6/22/10 12:28 PM) reply + / -
@ FattyHall

Kudos to you too! So glad to hear you are up and running again.

Re: Re: Office-jet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jimmya92105 (edited 10/13/10 9:38 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem my printer ia a 7210 installed new cartridges I get message remove and check right cartridge have cleaned everything and changed blk cartridge 3 times same issue
I did see where back contact point for cartridge a small strip of cable is twisted inside right cartridge holder bottom right
I also would be interested in finding ifo on dismantling
may need to replace cartridge holder and back contact board any help would be apprieciated

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (10/13/10 9:43 AM) reply + / -
Those printers are really hard to dismantle. Nothing you can do for it if you don't have replacement parts and those are unavailable except from scrap printers with good parts.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by jimmya92105 (10/14/10 9:25 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Moe

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nitepanther79 (3/9/11 6:31 AM) reply + / -
Hello.. I have an HP 7210 all in one printer and I cant seem to have the black ink cartridge connected right... the screen tells me to "remove and check right cartridge" Its a new cartridge and it seems to be put in right... Do you think maybe the sensor behind is broken? Can it be repaired?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (3/9/11 8:44 AM) reply + / -
Is the spring wire on the right side where the cartridge slides in broken off?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nitepanther79 (3/9/11 9:10 AM) reply + / -
The plastic piece that holds the spring in place broke off but I glued it back together.. It seems to be holding the cartridge in place now..

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (3/9/11 9:12 AM) reply + / -
Look behind the cartridge at the flexible wiring cable. You'll see a hole in it. Go buy a new printer. Definitely stay away from the HP 8500 as it will barely last a year.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nitepanther79 (3/9/11 9:47 AM) reply + / -
Im guessing that the flexible wire would be on the right side and the hole your talking about would be an abnormal hole that would be directly behind the flexible wire on the back panel

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (3/9/11 10:00 AM) reply + / -
The back part is the flexible wiring. It's white plastic with thin wires running down it. Once it's punctured, there are no replacements available and almost impossible to repair.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by RC63 (5/23/11 8:48 PM) reply + / -
Please help, I have a 7410 that the On light does not turn on and the screen remains trying to start just blue screen, the carriage is locked i can not move it, i connect ad disconnect and nothing, what to do??

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by kmburns (5/23/11 8:57 PM) reply + / -
Did you try a "hard reset"? Unplug it and plug it back in after about 10 seconds.

With these HP printers, you need to make sure that they are plugged into a separate outlet. The printers are designed with an external power supply so HP can ship these printers to any market and all they have to do is put in the right power supply. However, the power supplies are wimpy and will not output the proper voltage, if the input voltage is too low.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by RC63 (5/23/11 9:10 PM) reply + / -
i have done it and chage place but blue screen with animation to start or turn off remain, i open to see de carriage and note that do not moves, what to do, thanks.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by muaazgujjar (5/26/11 10:59 AM) reply + / -
I need dissassembly procedure for 7200 officejets

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by tracej (6/16/11 10:07 AM) reply + / -
can i get a replacment pick assembly for HP 7310 all-in-one? If so, where and how much? and is it straightforward to replace?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (6/16/11 12:00 PM) reply + / -
First off, there are no replacement parts available for that model. If there were, there's nothing straightforward about replacement of anything in that model. This is what I use and it works just great. http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/all/S03

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Nana432 (8/24/11 6:42 AM) reply + / -
I have the right cartridge failure on the 7410. Does any one have removal/replacement instructions. I can purchase a 7210 for parts to fix this expensive printer. HP doesn't sell the part. Thanks.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by wendl (9/19/11 10:18 AM) reply + / -
Hi and help me out - HP7410 prints out in color text but the black text does not print in full font. Cleaned the cartridges and terminals as other have suggested, both cartridges are full....any other fixes are really appreciated.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by sue o (9/19/11 12:03 PM) reply + / -
You stated that the cartridges are full which leads me to think that you just replaced them. Are they refills or are they new HP? Most if not all print quality issues are the result of ink cartridges. Did you have this quality issue before you replaced the ink? Your next step would be to return the black cartridge and try another.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by wendl (9/19/11 12:35 PM) reply + / -
correct...just replaced with HP black cartridge and it started a couple of days after replacement - Tks

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by mwalters66 (10/13/11 12:18 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP7410 with a error message stating the spot sensor is out of calibration. Please help!!!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by JinxedHP7310 (11/20/11 6:43 PM) reply + / -
Had this printer since 2005, 6 years. I guess I am ham fisted so maybe I broke it?

The ink cartridge cage wire is adrift, and the ribbon behind it punctured.

Had a go at fixing the popping out retaining spring / thing, and succeeded in that by strapping to the ink cartridge two pieces of an old plastic credit/ bank card- to get enough thickness- cut to fit on the side where the spring is popping out. That works!!!!! It keeps the locator spring in place and aligns the mechanism to where it locks in the ink cartridge.

Design engineers reading this should take note! Just fattening the ink cartridge would be enough to prevent the problem for ever!

I had to use two bits of card BTW, because one 'shim' is not enough to stop the spring from leaving its locators, two appear about right and three is probably too much requiring a lot of force to get the cartridge into the cage.

If you try this make sure that the bits of card do not poke over the ends of the ink cartridge

In a vain attempt to fix the punctures, with a custom took fashioned out of a bit of left over #12 house wire, I got behind the ribbon aligning the puncture so it might connect the broken circuits again. No luck!

If I could tear this printer down I would be able to repair the damaged ribbon! But where to start and where is there a manual?

Can't find one unless I shell out 50 bucks...

Naw cheaper buy used off the net and use mine for parts..Or buy a new printer..

Oh well..

Great thread BTW, I wish I could have read it before sinking $300 on the HP 7310

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by JinxedHP7310 (11/20/11 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Had this printer since 2005, 6 years. I guess I am ham fisted so maybe I broke it?

The ink cartridge cage wire is adrift, and the ribbon behind it punctured.

Had a go at fixing the popping out retaining spring / thing, and succeeded in that by strapping to the ink cartridge two pieces of an old plastic credit/ bank card- to get enough thickness- cut to fit on the side where the spring is popping out. That works!!!!! It keeps the locator spring in place and aligns the mechanism to where it locks in the ink cartridge.

Design engineers reading this should take note! Just fattening the ink cartridge would be enough to prevent the problem for ever!

I had to use two bits of card BTW, because one 'shim' is not enough to stop the spring from leaving its locators, two appear about right and three is probably too much requiring a lot of force to get the cartridge into the cage.

If you try this make sure that the bits of card do not poke over the ends of the ink cartridge

In a vain attempt to fix the punctures, with a custom took fashioned out of a bit of left over #12 house wire, I got behind the ribbon aligning the puncture so it might connect the broken circuits again. No luck!

If I could tear this printer down I would be able to repair the damaged ribbon! But where to start and where is there a manual?

Can't find one unless I shell out 50 bucks...

Naw cheaper buy used off the net and use mine for parts..Or buy a new printer..

Oh well..

Great thread BTW, I wish I could have read it before sinking $300 on the HP 7310

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by benboothe@gmail.com (11/27/11 5:15 PM) reply + / -
On my 7410 it locks up always and says: Lid door open.
But the scanner door is closed.

How can I fix it? The only way to print now is to unplug it and completely reset it each time.

Help?

Ben

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by malichi1999 (2/24/12 3:15 PM) reply + / -
I have a 7210 and the grinding noise only occurs when trying to fax. It prints and scans fine. Anybody know what faxing brings into the play that scanning does not? Thanks.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Erdmanmp (3/5/12 11:17 AM) reply + / -
My HP Officejet 7210 All-in-one printer will not accept the ink cartridge on the black (right) side.
When I insert the cartridge in the right stall, the printer issues the following message: Insert black or photo print cartridge in right stall.
The orange exclamation point is flashing.
The spring is still in the stall, and is unbroken.
I have even used a second new cartridge in the stall, but no joy.

Please help.

Thanks.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Erdmanmp (3/5/12 11:19 AM) reply + / -
My HP Officejet 7210 All-in-one printer will not accept the ink cartridge on the black (right) side.
When I insert the cartridge in the right stall, the printer issues the following message: Insert black or photo print cartridge in right stall.
The orange exclamation point is flashing.
The spring is still in the stall, and is unbroken.
I have even used a second new cartridge in the stall, but no joy.

Please help.

Thanks.

Re: Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (3/5/12 2:42 PM) reply + / -
I had the same issue on a different hp model once. I had another identical model in the shop for repair, so I just swapped inks I knew worked. The black didn't work, but much to my surprise, when I swapped the color ones the message went away. Sometimes they lie.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Dapper (7/27/12 7:52 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP Officejet 7310 all in one and my computer has a Windows Vista Home Permium Operating system.

My ploblem is that when I scan to PDF files the output size is much larger than the letter size shown on the scan preview and I cannot print the documents because of the large output size.
There is no way that I can see to change this with my HP solution center software.

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by t11thomas (11/2/13 7:43 PM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone! So the 'carriage jam' error! WOW, I unplugged the printer from the back then from the outlet then waited. Then I plugged it back into the printer, then held down 2 and 3 and the # and the * while my boyfriend entered the code 9678 at the same time as I plugged back into the outlet and guess what! =) yah, I'm taking the HP Officejet 7210 out 2maro and killing it 'Office' style with a BAT! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

the topper was when I noticed that under the ink cartridge on the right side, when the ink cartridges were on the left, the piece that's removable was flipped up on it's side. When I went to fix it, the center spring popped out and I never saw where it connected! I found the one spot to attach the spring on the piece that had flipped up on it's side, but clueless as to what the other side was attached to. Unless someone can help me tonight, that printer is in for it!

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by Beepee (5/28/14 5:53 AM) reply + / -
Hi There

My printer HP Officejet 7210 All in one has stopped working - it is receiving messages from the laptop to print and it goes through the actions but nothing actually prints. This is the same for the scanner and when trying to photocopy - nothing actually prints onto the paper.
Any ideas?

Re: Officejet Series 7210/7310/7410 by moe (5/28/14 2:26 PM) reply + / -
From your description, the cartridges are moving back and forth, but no ink is being applied. The first thing to try would be to take the ink cartridges out and flush the heads on the bottom with hot running tap water. Then blot dry with a paper towel. If the nozzles are clogged, that could be the cause of your problem. Reinstall and try again.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters