fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by g6pack (2/3/06 6:14 PM) reply + / -
Black is malfunctioning. Have attempted to clean black jets multiple times, appears the print head is clogged. Any suggestions for cleaning or methods/instructions to replace, and possibly a source for the printer head?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by FOXX (3/6/06 9:54 AM) reply-1 + / -
BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD MYSELF WITH MY MFC 420. I MYSELF HAD THE BLACK, THEN THE CYAN, THEN THE MAGENTA, THEN THE YELLOW ALL STOP WORKING WITH MY 420'S. EACH TIME I'D CONTACT BROTHER, FIRST TIME THEY SENT MY OUT A NEW 420, THEN THE REMAINING TIMES I WOULD RECEIVE A 'REFURBISHED' UNIT.. THE LAST TIME I RECEIVED A REFURB UNIT ON 2/14/06, THAT ONE LASTED TILL 2/26/06. 12 WHOLE DAYS.. OH JOY.. TOO BAD THESE UNITS CAN'T BE TRUSTED, I LIKE THE MFC BUT, I'M GLAD I HAVE A CANON AS A BACK UP.

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MADE OUT PLEASE. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE COLORS JUST 'STOP WORKING'??

FOXX

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by gzelmanovits (4/13/06 12:54 PM) reply + / -
There are enough posts of ink/printer head problems that surely Brother can hear the chorus of complaints. I don't believe that this has to do with remanufactured inks. It has to do with the poor design and poor quality of the printhead itself. Unfortunately, the cost of repair is very high with respect to price, so most people just buy a new printer.

I think we are being milked! (or inked) A couple of cartridge changes equals the price of the printer ..... but I digress.

Does anyone know how to remove and clean the MFC420CN cartridge head?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (4/13/06 5:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
to remove the head and clean would require a near dis assembly of printer.

in short, open the lid as if to replace ink, unclip the bottom of the lid leg and swing open.leave ink in.

remove 4 screws and remove plastic clips to wires. disconnect wires there are 4 or 5 in total. now carefully unhook the lid from main unit, take your time.

after separating 2 parts.

unclip plastic cover on head, remove print head cable wire from head, unclip silver clip that hold ink hoses,
undo top (in relation to head) slide bar, carefully remove head..
lift from no bar side first.

soak under very warm water for a few minutes and get old ink out
of the clear chambers. keep going, enough?? do it again!
now... reassemble.

if you removed the ink tanks.. you now have a mess on the bottom of your printer, clean that before re assembley.
reverse all the above and
the clock will have passed at least 1 hour if not 1.5 hours.

I'am not sure if bulk ink is the cause of clogging, there maybe
some design failure of sorts since ink has to be drawn upwards,
if there is a gap or leak.. air gets in?? i don't know but
i've taken it apart more than once.

GL.
harold.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by dd_8 (5/19/06 3:10 PM) reply + / -

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by RJS (5/19/06 3:20 PM) reply + / -
Can't believe I bought this crappy printer.

Had the same problem - the quality checks would only print all the black lines, the colours were shot. Especially the Magenta which was totally gone.

I opened up the printer and noticed that where the print head parks, there is a little roller that was filthy. I believe this is what cleans the head. It must also suction the ink, because there are tubes that lead to an ink trap - which by the way was totally saturated ( It's like a big sponge the holds overflow ink). Ofcourse you can see that ink was splattered all over from this cleaning roller.

So anyway - I thought by cleaning the roller and ink trap my problems would be solved. Put it back together and still doesn't work. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP !

I didn't know how to take out the print head, but will try that and see what happens.
I've owned other printers - Canon and HP - and have NEVER had so much trouble. I HATE THIS THING. Trust me - if it doesn't work I'm gonna take a hammer to it.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by LuiWilliam (10/11/06 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Thanks god I have back up (HP, Canon & Minolta) printers beside Brother MFC 420CN. I replaced its black ink cartridge only 4 times in 13 months. Then, its print began to fade and finally no print at all. Brother's service agent stocked plenty of print head but charged $80+ tax for replacement. This printer cost less than $80 when it is on sale. It is also hard to load envelope or post card for printing.

I would not buy Brother printer again. My first HP Deskjet printer worked 8 years all by itself. My (a lot less usage than my HP) Canon multipass C3500 is also a back up for 8 years and still working.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (10/21/06 3:51 PM) reply + / -
can someone tell me how clean my printer. I had lost my manual

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (10/25/06 12:09 PM) reply + / -
To clean the head:

1. press the "ink" button the the lower left.
2. Following the direction to the cleaning page (by pressing up/down button)

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads cleaning by Anonymous (10/25/06 12:14 PM) reply + / -
http://global.solutions.brother.com

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/28/07 2:46 PM) reply + / -
Harold, next time you clean your printhead, please take some pictures and send me to me. I'd be happy to post them up for everyone. I have to do this since two of the inks have quit (black and red). Thanks!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by nonagzone (3/2/07 3:17 AM) reply + / -
I bought my 420cn about 8 months ago. I use it alot and just starting to have the same problem. I thought it might be the refilling of the ink myself. Tonight I went out and spent $55 on new ink cartrages.I bought all of them allthough it was just the black not printing. On the new black I only got one page printed before it said it was out of ink. I checked and it was mt. It seems to be draining somewhere. I ended up refilling it and so far so good. Any ideas on why the new on only lasted one page?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (3/12/07 7:58 PM) reply + / -

Harold...

Thanks for your input. I am also having these same problems with my Brother MFC 420cn.

I have the unit separated into two pieces and I have the plastic cover off but I can't figure out how to "remove print head cable wire from head". Is that the white ribbon that plugs into the head? If so, how does it come off the head? I don't want to break anything but I just can't see how to unplug that ribbon from the head?

Thanks in advance...

mrbrans

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by GeekMom (3/14/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
I'm having the same problem. Please send pictures to my business email (bdazzleddesigns@hotmail.com) and I will be happy to post them up for everybody. Thanks!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by mrbrans (3/14/07 8:45 PM) reply + / -
Believe it or not, I don’t have a digital camera… sorry.

I did figure out how to unplug that white ribbon from the head though. You have to carefully take the plastic cover off the head itself. Then remove the little green circuit board in there. Now you can see where to unplug that white ribbon!

I’m just getting the printer back together now.

Hope it works!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by RobRamm (edited 5/7/07 6:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
I will be cleaning my head tomorrow. I see there is an air gap in a couple of the lines. How do I get these bubbles out?

Should I leave the ink cartridges in place while removing print head and soaking?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/9/07 12:59 PM) reply+2 + / -
See here how to fix your clogged printhead without separating the unit :)

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/46975#1

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/9/07 1:30 PM) reply + / -
See here how to disassemble a brother mfc:

http://www.refill-faq.de/inside.html#Brother_mfc215c

It should be the same for several brother printers (dcp 110, dcp 115 etc. and mfc 210, 420, 440 etc.) because of identical construction!

ace

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/12/07 12:27 AM) reply + / -
Not bad, Nice pics but only one problem. IT'S NOT IN ENGLISH!!
With the pics and the instructions from the post above I managed to get it apart and back together. but sadly I must have screwed somthing up, I think I might have moved the little white adjustment knob on the side of the print head. now it will not print at all and I get an LCD message "Unable to Print". any ideas on a fix? Or is it thash now? I hat this thing LOL.

Shadow

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/12/07 7:32 AM) reply + / -
^Shadow,

its in GERMAN!

Please check all wireconnection. I think you forgot to plug in one of them (use Photos to see where it is connected to)

ace

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by RobRamm (edited 5/14/07 9:48 AM) reply + / -
I'm trying to get the heads off, but cannot seem to figure out how it comes off the rail. It looks like if looking from the rear of the printer it docks on the left and to soak the heads, I just need to slide it past the left hand stop and off the rail after disconnecting the belt and ribbon cable. How do you get it off the rail? I'm being very gentle since this thing is made of unforgiving plastic.

Looking at it further, it appears if you pop off the black plastic top of the print head assembly, you could then unplug the ribbon cable and lift it out? If this is so, how do you get the top off. I see little plastic tags that look like they might release the top, but when I compress them, the cover does not move. Is there a trick? I'm scared of breaking them.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/14/07 11:19 PM) reply + / -
^ace

OK I check and reseated all wire/cable conections, I even reseated the PC board on the prinder head, ( noticed that there is a thin plastic strip that goes inside what looks to be a sensor on the board and made sure in was inside the slot. but no results, when you close the cover it cycles the head a few times back and forth and the beeps when it is done with an unable to print error message.

Shadow

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/15/07 2:11 PM) reply+2 + / -
Hi Shadow,

have a look at the little pad (1cm x 3cm)at left handside (when the control panel is in front of you) where the printhead wipes over to clean.
I've noticed when it is full of ink or is not correctly adjusted the error message will show up.

Try to fix it by cleaning under hot water and let it dry (use handgloves :()

Another fix is to reconnect the flat cable in the middle of the board. It is only stuck on the board in a very simple way. Maybe you have turned it the wrong way or it is still not connected the right way.

Hope it helps

ace

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Help! (5/22/07 8:19 PM) reply + / -
I have my entire 420CN apart but I cannot remove the printheads. I have the cover removed and the circuit board removed but there is no visible way to remove the print heads for cleaning. Please advise!

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Mr. Ace (5/23/07 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

Look here what you can do without replacing the printhead:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/46975

Use high %age isoproply alc. for cleaning.

If you are not lucky with that procedure, which I doubt, you'll be better off by buying a 2nd hand dcp 110c at ebay, take it apart and replace the printerunit of your 420cn. Should be cheaper and saver than trying to repair the printhead. Please note, all printerdevices (engines) of Brother using the same cartridges are made the same ;-) and can be replaced very easily (fixed by one screw only: Position on the upper left side between the metal of the printerengine. Cableplugs are colored and flat cable are of differend sizes; You can't do wrong.

ace

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by moe (5/23/07 5:58 PM) reply + / -
You will definitely fail if you are going to use high percentage Isopropyl. Actually if you use 70% isopropyl it will work a lot better since 30% of it is water and the ink is water soluble. Following that line of reasoning, 100% water works a lot better and it's free.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by junb (6/21/07 3:25 AM) reply + / -
I tried disassembling my dcp-115 prior to seeing this page. I discontinued doing so, scared I might screw up, so I put it back again. Everything's ok except Black print has ghosts. I think I disaligned something.

HELP!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (6/22/07 12:23 PM) reply + / -
No you dont. You have to readjust the printhead:

1 Press Ink.
2 Press Up or down-arrow-key to select Test Print.
Press Set.
3 Press Up/down-arrow-key to select Alignment.
Press Set.
4 Press Black Start or Color Start.
The DCP begins printing the Alignment Check Sheet.
The LCD shows: IS ALLIGNMENT OK? YES/NO
5 Check the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi test prints to see if Number 5 most closely matches Number 0. If the Number 5 sample of both the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi are the best matches, press (Yes) to finish the Alignment Check and go to Step 8.
—OR—
If another test print number is a better match for either 600 dpi
or 1200 dpi, press (No) to select it.
6 For 600 dpi, press Up/down-arrow-key to select the number of the test print that most closely matches the Number 0 sample (1-8).
Press Set.
7 For 1200 dpi, press Up/down-arrow-key to select the number of the test print that most closely matches the Number 0 sample (1-8).
Press Set.
8 Press Stop/Exit.

(This is from the handbook!)

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (8/1/07 4:53 PM) reply + / -
English Translation of the German link from above

http://www.google.com

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads removal by jhcl (12/4/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
it is not easy to remove the printhead. take a picture or something so no problem putting it back.

there are 2 rails where the printhead mounted to - 1 in the center and 1 closer to the edge. need to remove the rail closer to the edge.
- find the 2 little metal latch locking the, use small piler to straighten the latch which goes thru the 2 the holes on the rail. the latches should now line up with the holes
- gently life up slight (~ half inch up) the left side (side with hole closer to the edge)
- the printhead should move a little
- gently slid and pull the rail out of the black plastic slot on the other end. rail should should be sliding off from the printhead slot as well.
- it might be easier to remove the rubber belt carrying printehead by pulling the belt up from the side pulley. it can be put back easily.
- printhead should be attached to the center rail. just look at it from the side and lift the printhead up.

However, removing and cleaning printhead by soaking in warm water many time did not help fixing the problem of NO BLACK.

I am about the give up but really hate to create another piece of mostly non-recyclable machine, printer manufacturers have been doing a great job in creating waste for the earth . how can it be cheaper to buy a new printer than a ink cartridge !

I am looking for way to open the ink container and find out if there is anyway clogged. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads removal by Anonymous (12/4/07 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Sorry. No way to clean the printhead of the LC900/41 cart series. It might be that the ph has dryed out or pigmented ink has clogged the micro filter infront of the nozzels inside the ph or a valve wont move anymore.
Dont waist your time and money!
The ph has to be replaced!

Re: Brother MFC-240C Print Heads by jonan4 (1/27/08 2:38 PM) reply + / -
What would happen if I replaced ink with a combination of window cleaner and low portion of ammonia in all cartridges and ran the cleaner option a number of times ????

John

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by TOM BALL (1/27/08 4:02 PM) reply + / -
alot of head cleaners contain either NH4OH ammonium hydroxide and alcohol, mostly isopropyl alcohol. I have read about either the black or cyan or yellow or magenta not working and people think the print head is clogged.. that may be, but don't be surprised if you ended up with an air gap in your hoses.. one way to try and clear this up is to force ink thru the bottom part of the cartridge holder via a syringe.. try the windex or the isopropyl, either one is ok, but i'd also try a and force the liquid thru the lines to clear a possible air gap.. well that's my 2¢ worth..
good luck

FOXX

Re: Brother MFC 420CN trouble shooting by char_j (2/6/08 9:01 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know why my multi-function printer has no power? Just all of a sudden one day, no power. Can't find anything on it except people suggesting it's not plugged in, but we've checked everything and it's just not getting power.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN trouble shooting by Anonymous (2/7/08 6:43 AM) reply+1 + / -
Was it plugged into a surge supressor? You might have just blown the power supply - theres a fuse in it. You'll have to rip it apart to check this i'm afraid.

-Corsair

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by char_j (2/7/08 11:18 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your response. Yes, hubby took it apart and checked it. The fuse is fine and the power cord is also. He checked it with a thingy.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Wewe (2/8/08 3:14 PM) reply + / -
I've had this problem with the equally crappy MFC 425. I will never recommend to anyone to get a Brother printer!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/8/08 4:22 PM) reply + / -
Its NOT the power supply. Its a defective part within the main circuit board.
This happens quite often to mfcs older than 2.5 years due to cheap materials.

In case your mfc is dead: You need a complete new main circuit board!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by char_j (2/8/08 4:52 PM) reply + / -
Thanks guys. Yeah, the thing is dead so I guess we're gonna buy another one.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by char_j (2/8/08 4:54 PM) reply + / -
Hey guys, what is the best nulti-function printer I could buy for the around the same cost as my now defunct Brother MFC420 CN?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by TOM BALL (2/8/08 5:03 PM) reply + / -
I'M KIND OF PARTIAL TO THE CANON MP SERIES, DOES ALL THE STUFF AS MY BROTHER MFC 420 BUT A HECK OF ALOT MORE RELIABLE..THE INK CARTS ARE INDIVIDUAL TYPE, BUT MOUNT RIGHT IN THE PRINT HEAD, SO YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM OF AIR GETTING IN THE CART LINE FEED. WELL THAT'S ME 2¢ WORTH..

GOOD LUCK

FOXX

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by GeekMom (2/9/08 9:20 AM) reply + / -
Quill.com is selling the Brother inkjet cartridges for a good price.

Please click on:
http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=mrw650
and then select Quill.com from the shopping menu. If you sign up with Big Crumbs and you shop online (eBay, Walmart.com etc.) you get money back.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by gbeltrao (2/17/08 9:42 PM) reply + / -
Guys, I am having the same problem with Magenta. I could clear the "Almost Empty" error message by blowing air using a syringe thru the ink tank base (the white plastic tube) - you blow in, hold and realese and the ink will come out... it cleared the message but it is still not printing. What I really like about this printer is the networking capability. Does Canon MP Series have this feature? I looked for some printer sharing devices and they're pretty expensive and this was basically what made me buy the MFC 420CN.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/18/08 3:14 AM) reply+2 + / -
Actually the "Almost empty" message is a reminder to buy a new cart. You should always print until the mfc stopps printing and the message "empty" appears. Even if there is a page within the mfc and the mfc stopps, after replacing the cart, the print will continue and finish.

The mfc/dcp machines work with a drop counter:
When a new cart is placed in the display asks if you have changed the cart. By pressing 1 for yes the counter will be reseted. The ink indicator will display as full.

When chaning the cart before "empty" message appears you will waist ink and irritate the mfc logic, because the machine thinks that the old cart still is in use (and therefor the "almost empty" message wont disappear!)

By useing third party carts you might have trouble due to wrong ink mixtures. There is no glycerol (glycerin alc) within the ink!

The glycerol prevents the head from clogging! Original brother ink contains about 1/3 of glycerol 1/3 of DYE-ink 1/3 of destil. water with some cleaning fluids!

Running a mfc 420 etc. the best and cheapest way to print is to mix the ink by yourself and refill the original brother carts!

For C/Y/M use 3ml Glycerol, 5ml DYE-ink and 2ml destil water. with some drops (1ml) of printhead cleaning solution.

Drill a hole into the "brother" brandname on top of the cart and refill by help of a syringe.

You wont need any manual cleaning procedures anymore!

If you have a lack of one (0r more) color do the following:
make sure all carts are full, placed well and are secured. Do insert a new ORIGINAL BROTHER CART for the one that shows no color.

press menu then start bk-copy then fourtimes arrow up quick after another. machine will switch into maintenance mode and all lights will flash. press 7 then 6 then 4 then start bk-copy. machine will initialize the carts and refresh ink within tubes and print head. After that it does some power cleaning. When finished press 7 then 6 then 3 then start bk-copy. machine will run a power purge. when finished press 9 then 9 to leave the maintenance mode. do run a quality test print.

If you re lucky the print head will work without complaints!

If not, the print head needs replacement due to malfunction because of bad ink (no glycerol and cleaning additives!)!

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/18/08 4:54 AM) reply + / -
I forgot to mention that the "Almost Empty" message is appearing with a full cartdrige I had refilled - I've been using a Stratitec refilling kit for a while now with any problem at all. Also, with this kit you don't need to drill a hole on the cartdrige - just use the syringe to pump out air and insert ink on the bottom valvule - it works perfectly! Thanks, Anonymous for your feedback and also for your tip on how to put the MFC to be in maintainance mode.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/20/08 10:27 AM) reply + / -
Great instructions up until I disassemble unit and unclip silver clip that holds ink hoses. Now I'm stuck! can't identify with undo toP (in relation to head)or slide bar. What does the bar look like?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN trouble shooting by Anonymous (3/5/08 7:25 AM) reply + / -
mine quit because of a lightning storm strike had to replace it with new never had problem wit bad printing untill i got a new one the older print heads worked better

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by leonid (3/18/08 1:10 PM) reply + / -
To clean cogged print head do the following:

1. Take isopropil 91%
2. Inject it into a cartridge through a little whole you drill on the upper side
3. Print 30-40 pages of a full page rectangular colored black (if its black cartridge)
It will clean it up without disassembling the unit

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Osbert (3/18/08 10:45 PM) reply + / -
I've disassembled the MFC420CN and not able to get the darn print heads out for washing. During the disassembly my dear friend took out an ink cartridge and made a bloody mess. I reassemble the unit after cleaning only to find out the unit will not allow me to reset program. Brother suggest to have a cert-tech service unit. Is there a way to reset unit to factory settings, and allow programming.

Help!

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jmtrueman (4/1/08 3:44 PM) reply + / -
I know for a fact that the ink problem does not have anything to do with the remanufactured ink. When my problem first started, I was using only Brother cartridges and believe me, I wasted several before going on the net to solve the problem of the printer not recognising a full ink cartridge.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/11/08 7:17 AM) reply + / -
i sucessfully removed and cleaned my printer head. it now prints in black but is not perfect, might be because i have to do some printing to get rid of the water and air inside. i am making a slideshow or video from the pictures i took. will post link soon

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (5/11/08 11:35 AM) reply + / -
i uploaded a vid on youtube with my slideshow. link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSZNhEj3o4 quality might be bad from conversion, i'll put a link to a pdf file at the youtube video

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Porkins (6/8/08 5:31 PM) reply + / -
I am having the print head problem with the yellow ink. All the other colors work, but no yellow. Anyway, I took it apart and cleaned the print head, then re-assembled. Once together, I turned it on and the print head moved back and forth several times, then it stops and beeps, telling me there is a paper jam. If I hit OK to indicate that I have cleared the jam, the same thing happens...the print head moves back and forth several times, then gives the paper jam error again.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

I also noticed when I disassembled it, that the print head was "locked" in the park position. I couldn't figure out how to un-park it, so I took off the outer metal rail to get the print head off. Now though, it doesn't seem to lock into the park position. Don't know if this is relevant or not...

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by zxdzxd (6/9/08 9:08 PM) reply + / -
My printer is missing two colors. I think its print head is clogged. So try to do a cleaning work. But I cannt figure out how to do it.

I would like to share he manual and hope somebody can figure out to help others including me. How to put a attachment by the way

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Porkins (6/10/08 8:55 AM) reply + / -
I fixed the problem with the paper jam, but I'm not totally sure what I did. I turned on the printer and went into Maintenance Mode and the paper jam problem went away.

So anyway the yellow still didn't work once the paper jam was fixed. I took it apart again and soaked the print head in water for about 24 hours and re-assembled. Still no yellow. I'm thinking I need a new print head. Does anybody know where I can get one?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by HowardZ (7/12/08 7:52 AM) reply + / -
Well, I gave the procedure a try.

It took quite a while to figure out how to get the print head out.

After a cleaning the head in a sink with warm water, I tried to get the print head back in.

It took a few tries to get it in properly - and to have it all the way down on the track....

and again to get the small white plastic piece sticking out from the top right part of the rail - it needs to be to the right of the print head so the printer knows when the head is all the way to the right.

In the end - the printer keeps saying it can not clean
I probably did not reassemble something correctly,
but after 4 attempts at reassembly - it is going into the garbage.

Now the question is whether to buy another Brother MFC printer?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (10/30/08 12:36 AM) reply + / -
Unpuge ELECTRICAL CORDS CAN BE HAZARDOUS open the Scannner Cover by lifting from the right-hand side of the MFC/DCP untill it locks securely into the open position.Pull the Ink Print Heads near 1/2 right. Swing Freezer Bags in-under the Printer Heads.A popular "i*PRINT" SYRINGE/NEEDLE,waternot togo over the freezer Bags. mess warm water out thiw Syringe.Do it again! so no mess warm water under printer Heads that has not bin REMOVE :re:Brother MFC 420CN Print. paper tower off the freezer Bags and remove it.Look for water for a few minutes and clear chambers.!!!!!!!!!!!ELECTRICAL CORDS CAN BE HAZARDOUS.!!!!!! SO REVERSE ALL THE ABOVE AND BE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by BahrainKayaker (11/28/08 12:09 AM) reply + / -
I tried alcohol in the cartridge, no luck but tried the procedure below from Anonymous and it worked great. Does anyone know where to get a full list of the maintenance mode functions?

From Anonymous on 2/18/08:
"If you have a lack of one (0r more) color do the following:
make sure all carts are full, placed well and are secured. Do insert a new ORIGINAL BROTHER CART for the one that shows no color.

press menu then start bk-copy then fourtimes arrow up quick after another. machine will switch into maintenance mode and all lights will flash. press 7 then 6 then 4 then start bk-copy. machine will initialize the carts and refresh ink within tubes and print head. After that it does some power cleaning. When finished press 7 then 6 then 3 then start bk-copy. machine will run a power purge. when finished press 9 then 9 to leave the maintenance mode. do run a quality test print.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (12/5/08 6:11 PM) reply + / -
I know this is an old post, but can anyone explain this step in more detail, I've got the cove off the print head and I've got the ink hoses removed. I can't seem to get any further with this. Can anyone explain the follow step in more detail?

Old post:
unclip plastic cover on head, remove print head cable wire from head, unclip silver clip that hold ink hoses,
undo top (in relation to head) slide bar, carefully remove head..
lift from no bar side first.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by MayMawOf9 (12/10/08 6:36 PM) reply + / -
Hi Harold...is there any pics of this process anywhere on the net? I do much better with pics, lol. Thanks! :)

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by gbeltrao (12/20/08 10:55 PM) reply + / -
I just gave up on this printer... Magenta has gone a long time ago and now Black decided to leave too... the family is complaining a lot! So I'm buying a HP C7280 which has scanner, Fax, wireless connection, USB, and is much faster than the MFC. My major concern would be HP's cartridge prices and/or the (not so easy as MFC is) way to refill them. I'll post the MFC for free at Craig's List to someone who just needs a Fax and Scanner to play with (or use it for parts).

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by me in GA (12/30/08 8:54 PM) reply + / -
I also used Anonymous's procedure and it also worked GREAT for me. Thank you so much anon!! Saved me from buying a new printer.

One word of caution however - it used about 1/3 of the ink in each of the cartridges doing this, so make sure you have some more on hand.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by slimgym (2/18/09 1:54 PM) reply + / -
My DCP-115C stopped printing magenta and cyan. I took it to bits and found when you do the "clean" it seems to draw ink through non-return valves along the tubes. Whether or not it also draws ink down to the head is another matter.

Anyhow, lots of hot water and trying to clean everything out, I put some tissue paper on the head part and it only drew through the working colours, yellow and black. I tried isopropanol but little effect. Found a can of "safeclene" which is an aerosol non-alcohol cleaner, took the spray cap off it and the pipe left fits exactly into the non-return valves the printer uses to draw ink through. So covered up the ink inlets with my finger and squirted the cleaner in through the non-return valves and finally started to get cyan come through the head.

I think this method might de-clog the head itself but don't think soaking in water would do. I have started to get cyan back partially. Just a shame since I bought another 12 cartridges of ink thinking the ink might run out before the printer!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by slimgym (2/19/09 6:24 AM) reply + / -
Couldn't bring it back to life, left the head soaking in isopropyl overnight and gave it another pressurised squirt through. Cyan only came through on a small section of the head. Re-installed and cleaned about 10 times but still only black and yellow working.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (2/19/09 9:27 AM) reply + / -
You can try doing a power purge.. which is done is service mode.

for the head unit you will need to strip the machine down compleatly.. Not worth the hassle..

you can try doing a few power purges 1st

regards

LongneckBob

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by slimgym (edited 2/19/09 10:04 AM) reply + / -
What's the code for a power purge from service mode (should have said I have a DCP-115 so no keypad)?

I couldn't strip the head down any further that I could see - it had been sealed together with melted plastic lugs. I suppose trying to get that apart and cleaned then repaired with glue would be better than it cluttering up the tip.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jake60 (3/25/09 9:04 PM) reply + / -
I took my mfc 420cn all apart and cleaned the head. It is a lot easier when you realize the 4 what look like sprokets in the holes move up and down and the colors that looks like they will not wash out are plungers.

Anyway, I got it all back together correctly (?) and I am getting a paper jam error. It says to open back cover and remove paper.
Not jammed and no paper in there to remove.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem is?

I did order a backup though. Staples has a reconditioned laser multifunction mfc-7420 on sale for $78.99.

God I hate inkjets. Nothing like my HP 6p. Been running without a problem for 10 years. Knock on wood.

Thanks,

Jake

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by BahrainKayaker (3/26/09 8:27 AM) reply + / -
Look further up in the thread for the purge sequence in Maintenance mode. It worked for me!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (6/22/09 4:16 PM) reply + / -
hi i'm the person who made that youtube vid. after more than 1 year of no problems, my printer stopped printing color or black. i cleaned up the head nicely, made sure everything was back in place, but now i get the paper jam message. looked back inside and saw nothing wrong, all the rollers look clean. i tried the power surge but when i press 763 in maintenance, it says power__ge or something, and then whether or not i press black start after that, it says printer_error! and then goes back to the paper jam message :(

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jake60 (6/22/09 5:22 PM) reply + / -
I gave up on it and ordered a mfc-7420 from staples which had it refurbished for $80 after rebate. It is a black and white laser. I hate inkjets. Now if I can get my color laser Minolta working.

Damn things.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (6/22/09 6:20 PM) reply + / -
hi it's me again, so i found out what the paper jam was. there was no paper jam, i just put both strands of the looped printer head cable inside the clip instead of only one strand, so it prevented the head from moving correctly and i think that's why it thought there was a paper jam. after i changed that, it worked again. but color is coming out but not black :( not going to try again. just going to do some black ink initializations through maintenance mode a few times and if it doesn't work i'll just print in color until i buy a replacement

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (6/22/09 6:25 PM) reply + / -
dang it i did it 3 times and now my black ink is empty, it was half full, anyway in between eah time i tested it and no black came out and since the ink is being drained during cleaning, i guess it is the print head. i'm going to buy a new printer, maybe 1 where the head is easily accessed

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jake60 (6/23/09 1:47 AM) reply + / -
and doesn't quit working when just one color is out.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (11/10/09 6:08 PM) reply + / -
Well I did all that and now I have an internal error.
Time for a new printer.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (1/3/10 10:15 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to Anonymous's detailed instructions on YouTube, I was pretty easily able to access the print head. But I recommend that people do not try to clean the print-head because it is plastic-riveted to an ink supply chamber in such a way that you can't really access the print-head from the ink-supply side. Consequently, you can't flush the print-head like you normally would (on many printers) by pushing hot water from the ink supply side to the nozzle side using a wide-mouth syringe. I was not able to clean my head by flushing it from the nozzle side, and it's hard to imagine how anyone could. The plastic "rivets" are really more like melted-down posts that are part of the assembly, so I don't think it's possible to drill-out and replace the rivets like one might do for normal pop-rivets. You could drill them out, but then I don't know how you could reattach it.

Like others here, when I reassembled the MFC-420, I got a phantom paper-jam error message (even though the paper wasn't jammed). In my case I got the error message because I didn't properly orient the thin plastic strip that the print head glides along during its entire path from one end of the printer to the other. This thin plastic strip runs along side the toothed belt, through a small notch under the print-head-assembly, and the strip is suspended from tabs on either side of the printer. It looks like a useless piece of long, thin plastic strip with holes on either end, but it must be some kind of magnetic or laser readable tape which needs to be threaded and suspended in the right direction. If you suspend it backwards or maybe upside down, you'll get an error message and the printer will make weird sounds. I don't believe that this is covered in the YouTube video.

FYI, the problem on my printer was that the red and yellow on my MFC-420CN stopped working, but the black and blue continued to work. That didn't change after I tried cleaning the print heads. Massive waste of time.

I really dislike the design of the print-head and ink-feeder system. I like simple systems where the ink cartridges ride on top of a removable print head. The MFC-420 has a system of tubes and a pump. It seems unecessarily complicated, error prone, and it makes it almost impossible to clean the print head.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by schilly (1/12/10 1:35 AM) reply + / -
I can't believe that I finally got my blue colour to function properly after all these months. I followed the instructions below. My other colour were half full, but I did place a new blue colour cartridge in, which was not an orginal Brother, and it worked!!!!!! Actually ran the 76-4 combo twice before the 76-3. Please try this to anyone who is missing a colour. I searched for many hours and even thought I had tired this once before already...but not with a full cartridge.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I tried alcohol in the cartridge, no luck but tried the procedure below from Anonymous and it worked great. Does anyone know where to get a full list of the maintenance mode functions?

From Anonymous on 2/18/08:

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by brent kennedy (2/10/10 7:16 AM) reply + / -
how to clean printhead on brother 420cn

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Karen Blackburn (2/14/10 6:49 PM) reply + / -
Just keep cleaning. I had to run the cleaning about 12 times before I got all colors to print. I hadn't used my printer in a couple of years, and it sat with dry cartridges all that time. I replaced them and only yellow worked. I just kept cleaning them and eventually I started to get some color. After about 12 cleanings it was fixed !

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by mike w2010 (3/12/10 5:30 PM) reply + / -
i just got replacement head and encoder strip(kid spilled ink on the strip and the alignment went hay wire) and pcb board still seems to clog. dont run out of ink because it will keep cleaning even after the lines are all full air like mine was. i had to bleed the lines and prine head of air. but i still seem to get it to clean and the test quality page prints perfect but after a picture or two it seems the yellow and blue get partialy clogged and some times red and black but they seem to be good most of the time. i wanna run the cleaning procces 13 or 14 times in a row but i need to wait for a replacement flushing case to arive(already ordered) as the original is almost completely saturated with ink and i need to buy more bulk ink ill see if i can find a different brand. this may be a low end printer but its the only printer i can safely refill with out fear of leaking]. no other multi function printer has the ink seperate from the print head and or has a chip that prevents refill

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by mike w2010 (3/12/10 5:33 PM) reply + / -
parts list and pictures of the parts for mfc-420cn its for a different model but all the parts i ordered, checked with all mached up with there database

http://www.mk-electronic.com

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by mfc440cn (3/21/10 9:57 AM) reply + / -
I tried cleaning an MFC-440CN (similar) with a magenta clog. Guilty as charged, I used generic ink. But I have it 3 years, brother ink would have cost thousands so even if I end up using it as a fax and scanner I don't care. Also I read brother ink can clog too. The machine cost me $99 after rebate.

I got the machine apart, tried Everything on the head surface and in the tube, even pumping air and vacuum thru a straw(the windex spray straw fit perfect on the ink nipple), alcohol, brake cleaner, windex, hot water etc.

On the working color channels you can blow thru the straw and it "bleeds" a line thru the PH. the magenta, even under pressure barely lets out any ink. Maybe one hole lets out a bit (consistent with the patten I get in the test).

I may try one more thing but I think its pretty much hopeless since the clog is probably internal to the head. Also, all the cleaning cycles probably made it much worse.

A new head is $85 but can be found for around $50 on ebay. Probably time for a new machine.

Its amazing how much ink is wasted during cleaning in these units, there is a massive ink tampon in there. Then again, even if the PH has to replaced every few years because of generic ink, and brother ink cost $60 for a set...hmmmm....

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by going_nutz (4/6/10 10:00 PM) reply + / -
my black stopped printing so I thought I'd try taking the thing apart. I got stuck following directions in the 4th post (by anonymous) and couldn't get the print head off. I decided to put that aside for a bit and clean out the waste ink tank. Mind you, I have not done this in the **years** I have owned this thing and have had no error messages. Anyone annoyed by how often this unit cleans itself, you ain't seen nothin' till you try to squeeze/wash out those pads. The thing seemed to have 10x more ink in it than I ever used printing. So, after I had "fun" with that mess, I went back to the print head issue and saw the video and took off the rail (which anonymous left out). Ok, fine, I clean, start putting back together and I can't seem to figure out where the stupid metal clip goes!!! URRRGGGGHHH!!!! None of the pictures I've seen show this. Everybody jumped from "here's the black plastic cover" to "here's everything removed so you can see the PH" in their photos. Detailed help/photo requested. Thanks.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by going_nutz (4/9/10 10:18 AM) reply + / -
I got the darn thing back together.

Now I get an unable to print error *sigh*

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by going_nutz (4/9/10 1:29 PM) reply + / -
"hi it's me again, so i found out what the paper jam was. there was no paper jam, i just put both strands of the looped printer head cable inside the clip instead of only one strand, so it prevented the head from moving correctly and i think that's why it thought there was a paper jam"

Funny, but I had done that to and was getting an unable to print message. After putting that strip back correctly, I thought that would do it. THEN I got the paper jam message and had to unplug the machine to turn it off. I'm beating my head against the wall. Wish I'd never taken it apart. At least the color still printed before. now it won't print at all. Don't suggest a new printer because that's not an option right now. (no $) Why else would I be trying to fix this junky Brother myself?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (4/9/10 6:48 PM) reply + / -
I hate inkjets and color lasers. I have had nothing but trouble with them.

I replaced my 5in1 with a brother b&w laser 5in1. No problems so far.

When I need color and the old printer won't work I go out and buy a cheap inkjet on sale below 30 dollars. They always seem to not work well past a few cartridges so I put them in the scrap heap.
I use them enough to make it worth while that way.

Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (4/9/10 7:03 PM) reply + / -
No offense, but for me I wouldn't feel right about adding so much to the junk heap. We have too much of a disposable society. I try to be as "green" as possible. Another reason I'm disgusted with how much ink this printer wastes, but as I said, I also don't have much money.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (4/9/10 9:44 PM) reply + / -
They are junk no matter if they cost 30 dollars or 200 dollars. They are both junk.

If you want to keep adding 200 dollar printers to the junk heap be my guest. Me, I will spend less for those going to the junk heap.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymous (4/9/10 9:53 PM) reply + / -
I've had this one printer that cost under $200 for quite a few years, actually, and it's mostly been fine. I don't print that often. Maybe I misunderstood you, but it sounds like you're saying you buy these cheap printers frequently. My point was the quantity more than the price, see what I mean? I don't know how much printing you do, but if you buy 4 of them in a year that's $120 and 4 printers in the dump. That's all I'm saying.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jake61 (4/9/10 10:34 PM) reply+1 + / -
I went without a color inkjet for about 1 year. Then I needed one and bought one. I still have it after 6 months. I do not print with them much. Usually photos.

One day I will go to use it and will not be able to get it to work. Junk time.

I would say I buy one about every 2 years.

I do not build these junk machines. But when when mine will not work and you can buy an inkjet printer for the cost of replacement cartidges, I take advantage of it.

If I had my way they would make good machines with low cost ink and keep it forever.

One of the worst things is having a bunch of cartidges around for printers that do not work.

I hate going out and buying cartidges and finding out it still won't work.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Jake61 (4/9/10 11:09 PM) reply + / -
I have not seen one inkjet printer built much better than another. No matter what price. They are all built cheaply. Some have different methods to disperse ink, but they all ahve their problems.

Brother inkjets are particularly troubling because if one color goes out the printer quits.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by angel (7/10/10 10:06 AM) reply + / -
this procedure really works. i had to take apart three times but i finally got it. Another tip is to leave the printer head for 5 minutes in water, then rinse, and then 5 minutes in water again. i guess mine was really clogged but hey it worked.i also pressed (really carefully) the four white things that i think are little pressure valves or something. i used a paper clip. I did this while i was rinsing it under water. if you use hot water it's better. just be careful not to get burned or something. Oh and finally using latex gloves during this procedure it's not a bad idea. thanks.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by DS Justice (8/24/10 3:47 PM) reply + / -
I was getting the "unable to print" error, it turned out to be the white sprung tab (the one that goes through the metal top cover) was inboard of the print head. It needs to be outboard of it.

Good luck.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by GeekyGrandma (8/24/10 8:51 PM) reply + / -
All my colors except for black quit working. I fooled the printer by filling the emptied cartridges with a mixture of printhead cleaner and water. I filled the black cartridge with the black as usual and set the printer to print grayscale only. If there is a way to flush the printhead without taking everything apart I'd appreciate the instructions. In the meantime I will run it on black until it croaks!

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by BahrainKayaker (8/25/10 12:51 AM) reply + / -
"If there is a way to flush the printhead without taking everything apart I'd appreciate the instructions."

***See entries from 2/18/08 and 11/28/08.***

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by GeekyGrandma (8/25/10 6:10 AM) reply + / -
Thank you Bahrain, I will look it over.

Brother MFC 420CN Unable to CleanError Message by palermo (9/9/10 10:33 AM) reply + / -
UNABLE TO CLEAN

I travelled with my printer and now it stops at the start up with the message cannot clean, check manual. We cleaned and checked every passageway that paper goes through but no success, has anybody experience with this?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by yogikgf (9/28/10 11:54 AM) reply + / -
do a power purge, by keying in 763 in the maintenance mode.
766 will refill the ink in the tubes when there is no ink.

Thanks

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by wanttoprint (2/3/11 9:59 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for this information. You said, "For C/Y/M use 3ml Glycerol, 5ml DYE-ink and 2ml destil water. with some drops (1ml) of printhead cleaning solution."

Where can one buy Glycerol, dye ink, and printhead cleaning solution? Is this available in an office supply store?

Do you recommend a particular brand of Glycerol solution, printhead cleaning solution, or dye ink?

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by keito (5/25/11 5:28 PM) reply + / -
Mate, read the instructions, but would you mind taking me thru the menu steps to get to bk-copy? >
Many thx, Keito

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Anonymoose (7/19/11 2:52 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU to the Anonymous who posted on 2/18/08 3:14 AM for the tip on bringing the printer (I have a Brother mfc-40cn) into maintanance mode. I'd put in a new original Brother catridge but the black ink wasn't printing out properly (it wasn't aligned and very feint and lined). I'd tried many quality test prints, resetting the printer to factory setting and cleaning the ink. Yet after doing what Anonymous said everything worked as per usual :)

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Fix Print Head (10/11/11 12:33 AM) reply + / -
Hey that's really a great post and a wonderful description out here, I really like the way things are being executed and discussed here.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by froberts12004 (10/24/11 11:13 AM) reply+1 + / -
The reason most print heads get clogged is that alot of people pull the empties out and leave the socket open to air. The hozzles start drying out after about 30 min. of exposure to the elements in the air. Always leave the empies in the printer until you have replacement ones. If the nozzles start drying the printheads will not get enough ink in it and will pull in air. I recommend buying an extra backup set so you never run out in a middle of a job and have to go out and purchase some. I have worked on printers for 9 yrs. and now operate a Cartridge World ink and laser remanufacturing store.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by rosiesf23 (12/21/11 9:33 AM) reply + / -
does anyone know where i can get another door for the ink. my daughter broke one of the doors. so i need to replace it somehow.

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by carlcanfixit77 (1/6/12 11:10 AM) reply + / -
Please give me a better description of the part and its location.

The cartridges are loaded from the top and the whole top assembly covers the ink cartridges.

Do you need to entire top assembly?

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by enlightened user (3/22/12 7:49 PM) reply + / -
I got a similar brother printer, the MFC-J430W.

What I've found in the last 5 frustrating days of trying to unclog my printer for all 4 colors are the following:

- Top right hand corner of where the head parks might have a layer of ink 1/4 of a mm thick, especially if you did a whole bunch of cleaning/power purges. This can cause the thin layer of ink to clog the nozzles of the other colors, and can contaminate the colors of all the inks. So if you do a print test and yellow comes out blackish, blue looks slightly black etc, then this should be the first thing to check.

You will have to tell the printer to print then pull the plug to reveal the location.

- If the printer suddenly prints out things with a shadow, then your print head isnt dis-aligned, especially if it prints only 1 section of the page like this consistently. Do NOT abuse the printhead as the printhead is not defective.

What is wrong is that an inch above the rubberband that moves the inkhead are 2 very fragile strips of plastic. 1 piece is completely transparent, the 2nd piece has some slighly darkish film on it. Look at it and confirm there is some ink or residue on either one. The printer from what I can tell uses one of both of these strips to figure out where on the page it is currently at and any ink residue on these strips will cause you printer to go haywire and print shadows behind your text and other objects.

Clean off the residue on both sides very very carefully using handsanitizer + eyeglasses lens cloth. If you break this then goodbye printer.

- Power purges really, really kills your ink, and sometimes may take more than 3 to clear some nozzles. If you can print in black then leave it alone and consider it a won battle. It certainly isnt worth trying to get the other 3 color working, unless you are desperate to print some charts in color. Even with 3rd party ink, it is questionable whether you want to waste this much time and money getting every color working. Using Brother OEM ink forget it. The cost would exceed buying a brand new printer with ink.

If you want to print photos, a Brother printer is a horrible printer for photo-realistic colors - go print them out at a Walmart kiosk as it is cheaper and far better quality, and the print will likely last longer (those are laser color prints done by Kodak or something similar). And you dont even have a proper printer calibration file so whatever color you print on your Brother will be crap compared to what they can print for you.

- If you wish to ask a Brother service center to repair your printer for blocked nozzles, they WILL ask that you leave them your non-empty Brother original ink cartridges as proof that you arent using 3rd party stuff. My suggestion is to use up half the Brother ink and store it, or start off with 3rd party ink so that you have an original Brother cartridge (non-empty) as 'proof' that you arent using 3rd party ink. If asked why you have such a high page count with so much ink in the starter cartridges, say that you already used up another set of Brother cartridges.

- Laser printers... as always way cheaper to use and problem-free. Can you count on your Brother printer to print without blocked nozzles even with original Brother ink? Nope. Bad things can and will happen with any inkjet. Have a laser printer as a backup or prepare for misery.

Lasers will have a far crisper output for business use compared to any inkjet.

Good luck if you're wasting a crapload of ink trying to fix your printer back to what it was at Day 1. It isnt worth it.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by enlightened user (3/22/12 7:52 PM) reply + / -
I got a similar brother printer, the MFC-J430W.

What I've found in the last 5 frustrating days of trying to unclog my printer for all 4 colors are the following:

- Top right hand corner of where the head parks might have a layer of ink 1/4 of a mm thick, especially if you did a whole bunch of cleaning/power purges. This can cause the thin layer of ink to clog the nozzles of the other colors, and can contaminate the colors of all the inks. So if you do a print test and yellow comes out blackish, blue looks slightly black etc, then this should be the first thing to check.

You will have to tell the printer to print then pull the plug to reveal the location.

- If the printer suddenly prints out things with a shadow, then your print head isnt dis-aligned, especially if it prints only 1 section of the page like this consistently. Do NOT abuse the printhead as the printhead is not defective.

What is wrong is that an inch above the rubberband that moves the inkhead are 2 very fragile strips of plastic. 1 piece is completely transparent, the 2nd piece has some slighly darkish film on it. Look at it and confirm there is some ink or residue on either one. The printer from what I can tell uses one of both of these strips to figure out where on the page it is currently at and any ink residue on these strips will cause you printer to go haywire and print shadows behind your text and other objects.

Clean off the residue on both sides very very carefully using handsanitizer + eyeglasses lens cloth. If you break this then goodbye printer.

- Power purges really, really kills your ink, and sometimes may take more than 3 to clear some nozzles. If you can print in black then leave it alone and consider it a won battle. It certainly isnt worth trying to get the other 3 color working, unless you are desperate to print some charts in color. Even with 3rd party ink, it is questionable whether you want to waste this much time and money getting every color working. Using Brother OEM ink forget it. The cost would exceed buying a brand new printer with ink.

If you want to print photos, a Brother printer is a horrible printer for photo-realistic colors - go print them out at a Walmart kiosk as it is cheaper and far better quality, and the print will likely last longer (those are laser color prints done by Kodak or something similar). And you dont even have a proper printer calibration file so whatever color you print on your Brother will be crap compared to what they can print for you.

- If you wish to ask a Brother service center to repair your printer for blocked nozzles, they WILL ask that you leave them your non-empty Brother original ink cartridges as proof that you arent using 3rd party stuff. My suggestion is to use up half the Brother ink and store it, or start off with 3rd party ink so that you have an original Brother cartridge (non-empty) as 'proof' that you arent using 3rd party ink. If asked why you have such a high page count with so much ink in the starter cartridges, say that you already used up another set of Brother cartridges.

- Laser printers... as always way cheaper to use and problem-free. Can you count on your Brother printer to print without blocked nozzles even with original Brother ink? Nope. Bad things can and will happen with any inkjet. Have a laser printer as a backup or prepare for misery.

Lasers will have a far crisper output for business use compared to any inkjet.

Good luck if you're wasting a crapload of ink trying to fix your printer back to what it was at Day 1. It isnt worth it.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by customerrelations (3/28/12 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Our Brother Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you with resolving your problem. Please contact Brother Customer Service at: 1-877-276-8437 between 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM (EST)

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by rock7x7 (3/30/12 11:31 PM) reply + / -
thanks my German is a bit rusty!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by WinfieldZenith (4/24/12 3:43 AM) reply + / -
The print heads are right at the bottom of where the cartridges are seated in the carriage. The best way to clean them is to drip cartridge cleaner into the nozzles and allow it to drip through the micros screens.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by Giesela (6/11/12 5:57 PM) reply + / -
My MFC420CN worked for 6 years, but it got dropped and stopped working properly (the "change cartridge" was on all the time and it wouldn't work at all). Anyway, I just disposed of it. I guess I won't buy another, because it sounds like they're not any good nowadays. I got mine in 2005 or 2006. We washed the ink sponges (don't ask me how) about 3 years ago and reset the counter, and it worked for another 3 years.

So, RIP little Brother! You were really great while you lasted.

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by rABiD (7/12/12 2:29 PM) reply + / -
Wow. I was just getting ready to buy a new printer, because I figured if I had to open this one up and do all of this maintenance and cleaning, my time justified a new printer.

I decided to try Anonymous' suggestion from 2/18/08, and am totally shocked that it worked. My MFC 420CN had been sitting in storage for a few years unused. I replaced all of the cartridges with new ink and did a general 'cleaning', but the black would not print.

Thank you for this tip! It worked. I had trouble getting it to go into Maintenance Mode at first, pressing Menu and Black Start and then 4x up quickly, but I kept restarting and trying it and eventually it worked:

press menu then start bk-copy then fourtimes arrow up quick after another. machine will switch into maintenance mode and all lights will flash. press 7 then 6 then 4 then start bk-copy. machine will initialize the carts and refresh ink within tubes and print head. After that it does some power cleaning. When finished press 7 then 6 then 3 then start bk-copy. machine will run a power purge. when finished press 9 then 9 to leave the maintenance mode. do run a quality test print."

Thank you again for taking the time to post this solution! I can put off buying a new printer for a bit longer...

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by rABiD (10/24/12 10:41 PM) reply + / -
By the way, I just bought another black ink cartridge and am having the same problem again. I realized that when I was having trouble getting into maintenance mode, if I changed the printer from Fax mode to Copy mode, switching into maintenance mode worked right away.

I will have to let you know if this fix works again. I'm disappointed that I'm still having this issue, because I am wasting a lot of ink with all of the cleanings it has been automatically doing, not counting the major one I am putting it through now. May just be time for a new printer. Ahhhh well. It was good while it lasted!

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by jagadish (2/1/13 6:52 AM) reply + / -
Hello , After lot of hesitation I decided to give cleaning a try, couple of things I like to add to many useful tips in posts above. Video by Anonymous was indeed very useful.
First of all the cover {A & B) in first section in video is a single cover.
The plastic strip near print head drive belt is an encoder strip & has a small triangle arrow on extreme Right hand corner to show how it should be fixed.
The Print head can be moved by using an idling gear rotating anticlockwise to move PH to left hand side of the printer.
The print head at right hand position is Parking place and to remove it bring it to extreme left hand. Once the Rail is taken out the print head can come out easily.(Viewed from front of printer)

The Ribbon cable on print head, just insert it. It does look that it has not been fully inserted.

Well these are hopefully some useful hints!
I was missing mainly Yellow. After so called cleaning the ink chambers by hot water(really nothing to clean in print head) I have so far got Black only. It takes lot longer to open it! May be next time should be better, But whole experience left me wondering , is it worth it?
By the way the Print head did not lock at Right hand position after reassembly.but looks OK so far.

Yes one last point the cover has about dozon of tab so , use caution in taking it out!
Cheers!

Re: Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by avino0560 (6/12/13 1:53 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much!!!
It works perfect now!!!
I couldn't get blue to work before whatever I did...

Re: Brother MFC 420CN Print Heads by MIMI1234 (6/21/13 1:45 PM) reply + / -
I have had the 100% success unclogging printheads using 409 spray cleaner to dissolve the dried ink. Puddle some on the printhead and wait about 15 minutes to see if it wicked into the printhead. If some is gone, puddle on some more - repeat until you can see the 409 being sucked into the printhead as you spray it on. Then wipe it off and reinstall in the printer. Make sure it is not wet on the outside and that any contacts are dry, also. This has worked for me every time, and is very easy. I always have 409 on hand, its a great cleaner. I fill my own cartridges for pennies on the dollar. This works for black and color inks. I think the surficant in the 409 works better than alcohol alone. If it is really badly clogged, just puddle some on and let it sit overnight, then spray again in the morning until it wicks in. Voila, you're done!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters