fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Canon i70 printer problem

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Canon i70 printer problem by ACW (1/22/06 3:56 PM) reply + / -
This printer has been fairly trouble-free for about three years. Right now I can not print using black ink. I thought at first that the black ink cartridge was the problem and I have now tried three brand new black ink cartridges and still have no black ink printing. Color printing works fine. I am thinking that there is a clogged duct between the cartridge and the printer mechanism. Am I right? What can I do about this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Techone (1/23/06 5:14 AM) reply + / -
Try replacing the printhead (QY6-0046-000) should cost you $41.77
from Canon(800-385-2155)

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (1/31/06 3:10 PM) reply + / -
I've spent about 3 weeks messing with the same exact problem. The black ink suddenly just wont print after three years trouble free. Typed a queery in google and this popped up first.

Does Canon have these things on a timer?

ACW have your tried to replace the nozzle and did it work? Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by ACW (1/31/06 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

I phoned Canon technical service and then subsequently went to the website and e-mailed technical service. E-mails are free and phone calls cost money. I went throught the process of head cleaning with the use of software from Canon. I performed the deep head cleaning procedure for black multiple times. The black ink still failed to print after hours of troubleshooting. I am waiting now for my new non-refundable $50 print head including shipping. I thought of just throwing the printer away, but I have a large quantity of new ink cartridges that would be useless as well. Hopefully, the $50 will fix the problem, but I am skeptical.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/3/06 7:13 AM) reply + / -
ACW,

I ordered the new printhead, installed it, aligned it, put in new ink cartridges... no go. Black still not printing. I guess I'm going to buy a new printer. I'm going to stay away from pricey printers considering 3 years is all I got out of this one. Although it was trouble free during that time, I was never wowed by the output quality. It was okay, but not worth the initial price.

Hope your new printhead solves the problem for you. Good luck.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/3/06 7:19 AM) reply + / -
Betcha Canon knows about this and they don't know how to fix it and they just aren't saying they know about it. I know it's a little conspiracy minded, but it seems to be what manufacturers do when a defect or malfunction becomes apparent. If they can't identify a fix, they act as if each customer is the only one complaining about the problem.

I could have bought a cheap printer 2 days ago to finish my urgent job for less than the price of this printhead.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by ACW (2/3/06 7:32 AM) reply + / -
I tried to install the new $50 print head and can not get the printer to work. I am very, very frustrated. The $50 print head is non-refundable and I have a large supply of ink cartridges specific to this machine. I hate planned obsolescence! I anticipate that I have to buy a new printer and throw all that I have right now in the dumpster. How sad!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by R Woodman (2/24/06 4:56 AM) reply + / -
Hello,

I have the same exact problem...no black printing. I was about to spring for the printhead until I read your notes. Thank you.

R Woodman

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by zatch (6/28/06 4:32 PM) reply + / -
I have the exact same problem as well. Weird...

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (7/31/06 1:19 PM) reply + / -
My Canon I70 printer has also stopped printing black text or black images. The printer will still print black during a Nozzle Check. It appears the problem is program related. I have send an e-mail to Canon Canada asking for a solution to the problem. If anyone knows how to fix the problem please let me know.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (7/31/06 9:08 PM) reply + / -
I have regained the ability to print in black on my Canon i70 printer. Maybe I should mention that I refill the cartridges myself. I removed the color cartridge from the printer and reinstalled the cartridge again. I then uninstalled my printer in the control panel and reinstalled the printer with the printer CD on my computer. Next I brought up the Printing Preferences Menu and set the Print Quality to Standard. The paper moves now through the printer at a very high speed and gives me beautiful black text. I will refill my color cartridge tomorrow and see how the colors come up. I hope this information has been useful.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/2/06 8:20 PM) reply + / -
anyone know how to fix the paper feed? I had this problem once before and a Canon agent helped me but my warranty is expired, and I can't find the directions they gave me. HELP

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/3/06 11:46 AM) reply + / -
I belief you can change the paper feed by going in the Printing Preferences menu. Click on Control Panel, double click on Printers and Faxes, this should bring up your Canon i70 icon. Right click on the Canon Icon and left click on the Printing Preferences Tab. On the Printing Preferences Menu you will see a heading called Print Quality. Print Quality gives you 4 options, High, Standard, Draft and Custom. Choosing one of these 4 options will change the speed paper moves through the printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Jimmyo (8/15/06 10:34 AM) reply + / -
I also have the same black ink problems. How did you refill your cartridge yourself, I'm not familiar with this procedure but I have heard of it before.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/20/06 7:28 AM) reply + / -
I just had the same problem today. After my black ink ran out and put new one. It won't print blacks no more. I followed what was mention above by removing both inks (black/color) then uninstalled the software and turned-off the printer and re-installed the software. And now everything works... Thanks to the above poster...

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/25/06 6:47 AM) reply + / -
You can refill the small canon i70 cartridges by buying a color or black refill kit at places like Radio Shack or Walmart. The refill kits come with a syringe which allows you to draw the ink from the refill bottles. It only takes a small amount of ink, a couple of cubic centimeters, and the syringe allows you to drip the ink into the cartridge. As you remove the cartridge from the printer you will see a spongy material under the cartridge and that's where the ink needs to be dropped in. I hope this has been helpful.

Fred Beisswanger

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Random Runner (11/20/06 4:36 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Guys, I had exact same 3 year, black ink not working issue, reinstalled the software and hey presto, it works.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (11/27/06 9:39 AM) reply + / -
Well my problem is the color ink tank. Replaced it and now it says there is no color ink tank cartridge in the printer. Even if i try to print in just black it gives me the same "color" error message. So........it won't let me print anything. Anyone have any ideas short of throwing it in the floor :)
Thanks,
Deb

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by RonV (12/4/06 6:28 PM) reply + / -
I also have i70 printer issues. My balck cartridge isn't printing clear. I't apparent that I need to remove the print head and clean it. How do you remove the print head? I see something that looks like 2 screws on the bottom. Do i need to remove these screws?

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (12/28/06 6:12 PM) reply + / -
Hi, there is no need to remove the print head to clean the clogged nozzles on the print head, what I did was take an empty black cartridge and fill the cartridge with cleaning fluid, you can also use Isopropyl Alcohol 90 to 99% pure, available in Drugstores, reinstall the cartridge with the cleaning fluid and run 4 to 8 pages of text through your printer. This procedure cleaned up the print head on my Canon i70 in no time.
Submitted by Fred Beisswanger

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (12/28/06 6:19 PM) reply + / -
This is for the person who has problems with the color ink tank and is not able to print anything. I would just uninstall the Printer Program and then reinstall the Printer Program, in most cases this will work.
Submitted by Fred Beisswanger

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by DaveDawson (1/2/07 12:29 PM) reply + / -
How did you refill the empty cartridge with alcohol? I have an empty black cartridge and thought I'd try your idea but can't find anywhere to get alcohol in. I' vecleaned the pad with alcohol and did find a small hole at top of the cartridge but so small the refill needle ihave won't inject into it?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by DaveDawson (1/2/07 2:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the alcohol tip Fred! I tried it and my i70 is back to normal after not printing at all.

What i did was take out my existing ink cartridges - only ones I have on hand - and rinsed the sponges well with alcohol. I blotted them dry and let them sit a while. I also rinsed the screens on the nozzles in the print head/ink tank. In fact, I rinsed each screen by using a refill syringe then I actually 'flooded' the ink tank compartment with a level of alcohol so as to just cover the screens. I let that sit a few minutes then blotted dry.

I replaced the ink cartridges and ran the clean heads utility a couple of times and viola! I'm now printing correct colors and sharp black text. Ironically yesterday i was so convinced this printer was shot that i bought an iP90 on ebay. Guess I'll sell this i70 there now.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by 87vert (1/2/07 4:08 PM) reply + / -
the hole on the cartridges are whats referred to as "purge" holes. If you do talk to Canon tech support on any issues do not mention anything about refilling your inks. If you do they will blame it on that and send you to a "service center." They will try to "trick" you into saying you have 3rd party inks. If they ask what it says for "made in" say japan.

The normal procedure for fixing a missing color would be to:

do a test print from the printer to determine if it is hardware or software
try 3 regular cleanings and test print
try 3 deep cleanings (1 deep = 3 regular)

if there is still nothing replace print head.

If you mention 3rd party inks they will have you buy new genuine canon ink tanks before sending a print head.

I used to work for Canon Technical Support.

You can get past the "pay for support" by stating you just bought the printer. they will not require proof unless you need parts or service.

they will also always send out software cd's if you lose yours for free.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by bradleyk (1/10/07 2:31 PM) reply + / -
I need to run the software routine to clean my i70, but I can't find the utility software to download. Can anyone provide a link? -- I'm on a Macintosh (OSX).

Thanks ...

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (1/11/07 7:39 AM) reply + / -
You will find the maintenance functions for the Canon i70 run on a Win XP computer by going to the Control Panel, click on the printers Icon, open the canon i70 Icon, click on the Properties Tab, and then click on the Maintenance Tab. The Maintenance Menu shows various functions for the printer, if the Maintenance Routine for a Macintosh differs from a Windows computer, I would just go and search for it at the Canon web site.
Submitted by Fred.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (1/11/07 8:03 AM) reply + / -
The Purge Hole for the canon cartridge is on top of the cartridge while the hole on the bottom of the cartridge shows spongy material where the ink comes out. I have refilled my cartridge from a Canon Notejet for the past 8 years by dripping ink through the hole on the bottom of the cartridge and the same procedure works on the Canon i70. I have made myself a Color Test Pattern for 4 color printers available at "www.inksupply.com" and can see instantly if one of my colors runs out. The nozzles on the canon i70 print head are half the width of a human hair, clog easily, and can be cleaned by running cleaning fluid through the printer.
Submitted by Fred.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (1/26/07 10:59 PM) reply + / -
I replaced the printer head in my ip90 on my mac and at first i was bummed out cause the black ink didnt work but after litterally 10 deep cleaning and using comp. black( an opt. in the printing) in the course of a few days then a re-install and one last deep clean and a test print it was back!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by hallamou (2/12/07 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I also have a problem with the color ink tank. It was working fine until I replaced it recently. Now it doesn't detect the color ink tank cartridge. Even if i try to print in just black it gives me the same "color" error message. I removed the driver and software and reinstalled them following some advices here, but it doesn't work. Do you think it is a printhead problem? Would you recommend cleaning the printhead with alcohol first? If replacing the printhead will solve the problem, I want to give it a try as I love this printer very much. Thanks!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by happy_bunny11 (2/14/07 2:34 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem - black print doesn't work. I've tried reinstalling the drivers as suggested above, and I've cleaned the print head with a cleaning cartridge, but it's still no good. If I do a print head clean directly before printing, it will kind of print - the text comes out at the top of the page, but gets fainter as the page progresses, until there's nothing to be seen at the bottom. Does the same with new ink cartridge. Colour works fine tho. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I don't really want to get a new print head since I'm a broke student and in the UK they cost £50+. Also don't really want to get a new printer, I got this one cos it's tiny and so I can transport to from home/college. Don't think I can afford a new small printer!

Thanks vvvv much!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by bozzo (2/18/07 11:25 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have a black print problem. I have changed cartridges, done nozzle cleans and deep cleans but still the same problem, black is good until about 1/3 page down, then it starts to miss print and get worse near the bottom of the page. next page is the same, OK at the top but no good down near bottom.
Does anyone know the amswer please

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by John Iwanski (2/19/07 10:39 AM) reply + / -
I refill my ink cartiridges and won't buy any equipment if I can't do so. I purchased two i70's and some time earlier one of them stopped functioning as I am about to describe. I believed that the two units had some sort of different programming because the one machine kept running. Just recently my other machine stopped working. It informed my that I would have some sort of error if I continued to refill my ink. Now, just as my first printer did, the print head has moved all the way to the right and is locked there. Is there anything I can do? This is a bunch of crap! I should be able to use whatever ink I want to. If it ruins Canon's machine so be it. I accept that loss. But there should not be software to prevent me from doing so.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (2/22/07 8:13 PM) reply + / -
Hi John, the printer does not know if a new cartridge or refilled cartridge has been installed, all the printer knows that a cartridge has been changed, a small menu comes up, I click o.k. and the printer starts up again. The printer program can become corrupted and doing a deep-clean will not always get the dried ink from the print head. To clean the print head it may require to uninstall the print head, get a small jar-lid, put several layers of kleenex down in the jar-lid, pour some cleaning fluid in the jar-lid, put the print head nozzle site down on the kleenex and let the print head soak overnight in the cleaning fluid to get the dried ink off the print head. A small print-out, one page, should be done once a week to prevent dry ink from clogging the nozzles on the print head.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/26/07 5:01 AM) reply + / -
Hallo.
Ich kann leider kein Englisch, aber ich wollte mich bedanken für den Rat.
Ich hatte gleiche problemm mit canon i70 (schwarz hat nicht gedruckt) dann habe ich ein schwarze tintenpatrone mit purem Alkohl gefült und laufen lassen, nach ungefär 4 vorgang mein printer angefangen sehr gut in schwatz zu drucken, noch mal danke für den Rat.
P.S. Und übrigens, von anfang an, verdühnen sie schwarze patrone zum 50% mit purem Alkohol, ergebnis beim drucken ist gleiche, aber die düsen verstopfen nicht mehr.
Valeri.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by GoalieMa4Ever (2/28/07 4:58 PM) reply + / -
I just spent close to an hour trying to get my i70 open to get to the waste ink recepticle and ... *what* does it look like??? :P Please don't tell me it's that long black sponge under the box that carries the cartridges. (horrors!) How do I get it out to clean it?

Please help before I perpetrate violence upon machinery. (Or lose the teeny little screws I took out!)

Thank you kindly in advance. :)

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by John Iwanski (3/1/07 7:10 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your reply, Fred. But I am fairly sure that my printer does not need cleaning. I have been cleaning my heads using empty ink cartridges and cleaning fluid, as you have described in an earlier entry. Prior to my problem my printing was coming out just fine.
However, I must disagree about what the printer/computer knows about the state of the ink cartridges. Just before both of my printers locked up (the print head moved to the right side and will not move, preventing any access to the cartridges), I received a message telling me that I had installed an empty cartridge that appeared to be full. The error message had a number (which regretfully I did not write down). Now all I want is to be able to free up the print head so that it will move into a position where I can access the cartridges. The error message stopped coming up if I put in a new (unrefilled) cartridge, then I could happily go my way refilling my cartridges for some extended period of time before the message reappeared.
This has never happened to anyone else? Does it matter that I use a mac? I purchase my black ink by the gallon, and have perhaps run better than a half gallon though these printers. I offer this last comment because It may be an unusual circumstance that someone would print that much.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Hallamou (3/4/07 12:43 AM) reply + / -
I have replaced the the printhead, but the printer still doesn't recognize the color ink tank, so my issue is not a printhead nor ink tank. My local service center charges $35 for diagnosis and additional $$ for labor + parts, and I even don't know if they could fix it. Would you recommend me just forget about this printer or would it be still worthy to take it to the service center?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by John Iwanski (3/6/07 5:26 PM) reply + / -
Before anyone throws away an i70 printer, please send it to me. I am looking for a trashed one to take apart. I can't figure out how to take mine apart without damaging it. So I'm looking for one that is expendable and whose only purpose is providing me insight to its assembly.

Thanks

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (3/14/07 10:38 AM) reply + / -
I have read that every time one activates the cleaning cycles on the printer, the waste ink goes in the waste ink recepticle, I belief it is a long black sponge on the bottom of the printer. They say when the waste ink recepticle is full the printer stops working and one needs to take the printer to a Canon Service Depot. I have read that in most cases Canon will replace the printer, don't know at what cost, rather than to fix the problem on the old printer.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (3/14/07 10:48 AM) reply + / -
Hallo Valeri, freue mich dass der Drucker wieder laeuft. So mancher hat probleme mit dem Canon Drucker, einige wollen den Drucker sogar wegwerfen, man muss die Duessen am Drucker eben mit Alkohol sauber halten. Fred

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (3/14/07 11:06 AM) reply + / -
Hi John, you seem to have an unusual problem, other than reinstalling the printer program there is not much else you can do. With the amount of ink you run through the printer, when the waste ink recepticle is full, the printer will stop working, see above post. Error messages may come up differently on a mac, run Win XP myself, there is always the possibility the printer needs to be repaired, and it may be cheaper to get a new printer.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by moe (3/14/07 3:39 PM) reply + / -
Alcohol ist nicht gut!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by BAB (edited 3/20/07 10:32 AM) reply + / -
In the i70 if the waste ink is full, the drain pak assembly, QL2-0194-000, needs to be replaced. It really requires the skill of a trained technician as you have to completely dissasemble the printer, remove the paper feed pressure plate, remove the main print unit, remove the old drain pak, install the new drain pak, check the blotters under the print unit, then reassemble, and then reset the counter. Not an easy job for the laymen or novice. The drain pak runs about $12.90, not including labor.
You can contact http://www.beckscrs.com for this as they are a Canon Authorized repair service. the whole procedure runs about $100, cheaper then a new printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Dirkasaurus-rex (3/24/07 1:08 PM) reply + / -
I have an i70 that recently stopped printing all together. I replaced the print head and purchased new ink tanks (cartridges). Plugged them in and it works like the day I took it out of the box!

I think the problem was old ink stopping up the system. Just wanted to let you know that there is hope out there!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and experiences.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by BAB (3/25/07 8:05 AM) reply + / -
If your interested, I'll sell you the service manual and all the tech bulletins for $9.95 pdf email only.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by BAB (3/25/07 8:24 AM) reply + / -
yes your right too, when we get in an i70, i80 or i90 that is not printing or not printing Black, first thing we do is change to our test cartridges which are brand new and then run a couple of cleaning pages to get the ink flowing (hold down the resume button for 1 flash). Also a drop of water or denatured alcohol on the purge unit pad will also help. Then do a print head nozzle test. Hold the resume button down for 2 flashes and release and it will do a cleaning then print up a test.
If that doesn't work, then we try a new print head along with the new inks.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by filmz4all (4/9/07 12:09 PM) reply + / -
My Canon i70 has been flawless for over 3 years. I am now on a job in a third world country and when I turn it on the green light and amber light blink 7 times each prior to the green holding for 2 beats, then it repeats the pattern over again. Help!!!!

Thanks,
D

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (4/9/07 2:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi, the flashes from the green and orange leds are error messages. According to the instruction manual, 7 flashes indicate a defective print head. They recommend to press the power button to turn the printer off, and press the power button again to turn the printer on. They say if the same error occurs again the print head may be defective and one should contact a Customer Care Center.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Rillibee (5/25/07 12:44 PM) reply + / -
I have similar problems with my i70 in that will not print red. I have installed both a new color & black cartridge. I have alse done several deep cleanings.

I'm also having issues with the paper feed in that if the amount of paper gets low, say less then 10 sheets, the printer won't feed the paper in. It moves it about an inch. It also occasionally twists the paper as it comes out (to the left if your facing the front of the printer). I have done a couple of roller cleanings.

None of the cleanings have made any difference. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks,
Michael Wagner

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (5/25/07 6:48 PM) reply + / -
This is a reply to the last tread. I do not use the cleaning program from the maintenance menu, it has not worked for me very well, and if the waste ink fills up the black sponge at the bottom of the printer the printer will stop working completely. I would reinstall the printer program, fill an empty black cartridge with cleaning fluid and run a couple of text pages through the printer. This procedure has always worked for me. I only print one page at the time filling the tray up with paper may very well cause the problems you mentioned.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Rillibee (5/25/07 7:13 PM) reply + / -
What do you recomend to use for cleaning fluid and It's the black ink cartride you fill up not the color one for the issue with the red ink?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Rillibee (5/25/07 8:32 PM) reply + / -
What do you recomend to use for cleaning fluid and It's the black ink cartride you fill up not the color one for the issue with the red ink?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (5/26/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
When I bought a color refill kit one of the bottles was cleaning fluid. You can also use Isopropyl Alcohol 90 to 99% pure available in Drugstores, 500 ml cost me 3 Dollars. You need to put the cleaning fluid in a black cartridge and as you print a couple of text pages it will clean the nozzles on the print head and when the printer program is installed again it should print red again.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Rillibee (5/26/07 9:08 AM) reply + / -
I tried some isopropyl alcohol that I had on hand but it was only 70%. I did several deep cleanings of the black cartridge and ran about a half dozen test prints. It still prints yellow where I have red selected (or is it Magenta to be correct). What brand color refill kit did you get? I got a Canon cartridge 2 pack and there was no cleaning fluid bottle in it.

It might be of note that when I printed the print head alignment test page the section for Magenta showed no color at all. I'm wondering if the print head itself is bad.

I went and deleted all the drivers and reinstalled the software. I installed the package (I'm using a Mac by the way) that I downloaded from Canon's website which I believe is version 4.19. The version on the CD I think is 1.70. The package name for the site is "i70 419.pkg" and the one on the CD is "i70 170". Not sure if it makes a difference.

I seem to have the paper feed sort of under control. It seems to be really picky as to how it's loaded.

Thanks again for all the help.

Michael Wagner

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (5/26/07 3:39 PM) reply + / -
The cleaning fluid, Alcohol must be 90% or better, that is higher, what I bought is a color refill kit from Radio Shack, it has the three colors in 3 small bottles plus a cleaning fluid in a fourth bottle. They also sell refill kits at Stables, the Office Depot. The paper needs to be aligned very straight on the lid of the printer and you can also download a color test pattern from "inksupply.com" to see how the colors print out.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/26/07 4:38 PM) reply + / -
Another moron advocating using alcohol on water based ink. Dummy! less than 90% is better as it contains more water.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Kory (5/31/07 11:49 AM) reply + / -
I bought a used i70. At first it would not print clear. I fixed that. Then I went to use it and it did not work. I opened the cover and the print head would not center. It flashes the seven as mentioned earlier. I messed with it and it will not center. I purchased a new print head. When I turn it on, it sounds like it is trying to center but stops. I had to move the head. I hope it is not wrecked? Any ideas.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (edited 5/31/07 1:06 PM) reply + / -
Hi, the canon i70 is a very expensive printer and it comes with problems. The program for the printer comes on a CD, it has a Maintenance Menu, there is a number of operations on that menu. The print head can be aligned following the menu, I never aligned mine so I do not know if it will work. The cleaning procedures using the menu did not work for me, I had to use alcohol to clean the nozzles. When the waste ink recepticle is full the printer will stop working completely. When the printer cover is ls not totally closed than the head will not move into position. A Canon Service Center may be the only solution for you and God knows how much this will cost.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/31/07 1:24 PM) reply + / -
Got some 91% and that did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

M

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by BAB (6/1/07 7:02 AM) reply + / -
You don't say if the 7 flashes are solid orange or alternating. Assuming they are alternating it indicates your waste ink is full. Meaning you probably need a new drain pak assembly installed. Should run about $100 from a authorized service center. They should open and replace the drain pak and then reset the codes, not an easy job for the unskilled. The i70 is a very good unit and well worth the price to repair. A new printer replacement would be the Pixma iP90 with a street price of about $249, sug ret $299.
If you think you can do this on your own, you can purchase the drain pak and the manual from beckscrs.com

BAB
Authorized Canon Tech

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by notiones (6/20/07 9:16 AM) reply + / -
Interesting development. I have a Canon i70 that would not print black except during the nozzle test. I have been a technician for over 20 years and so I haven't tried some of the more outlandish fixes here except for one and it fixed the problem. Here is my fix as detailed as I can make it.

1) I bought a new printhead. 2) I installed the new printhead. 3) New printhead would only print in color. 4) Put old printhead back in. 5) Same problem. 6) Ran countless deep cleanings with new ink on both printheads. No change. 7) Soaked old printhead, sans ink, in 90% alcohol for two minutes. 8) Used paper towel to dry the print head contacts. nothing else! 9) Ran one deep cleaning. When it asked if ink was old or new I said old. Ran a test print with old printhead. Black printed great, but color was lackluster. (as it was prior) 10) Put in new printhead and again answered "NO" to the new ink question. 11) All looks exceptional now.

Closing thoughts.
This fix might be attributed to one or two things. 1) When I soaked the printhead, I didn't dry the contacts all that well afterwards and it is reasonable to assume there was still some alcohol residue there. This in turn might have help clean the contacts inside the printer, though I thought I had done a pretty fair job of that already. 2) By allowing the alcohol to penetrate the screens and not drying it off it just might have been enough to loosen up an obstruction in the printer. In the end maybe it was none of the above and had more to do with the "FM Principle". Just thought I would share my experience.

BTW - Don't bother asking Canon for assistance. It is an excercise in frustration.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Colin John (9/11/07 3:00 PM) reply + / -
My printer was seconhand from Ebay. Worked fine for a few months, now just the Black is very poor quality. The colour is fine. I have done several deep cleans and alligned print heads. Still does not work very well. Black is still VERY patchy colour is fine.

Please Help.
Regards
Colin

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (9/11/07 9:13 PM) reply + / -
Hi, the cleaning program from the printers menu did not work for me, you may have to fill an empty black cartridge with cleaning fluid as I had outlined before and run 6 or 8 text pages through the printer. You may even have to soak the print head in cleaning fluid to loosen all the dry ink off the print head, see a previous post. Sometimes the problem you describe can be fixed by changing the print mode in the printers menu.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (9/12/07 4:17 AM) reply + / -
Hi, the cleaning program from the printers menu did not work for me, you may have to fill an empty black cartridge with cleaning fluid as I had outlined before and run 6 or 8 text pages through the printer. You may even have to soak the print head in cleaning fluid to loosen all the dry ink off the print head, see a previous post. Sometimes the problem you describe can be fixed by changing the print mode in the printers menu.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by tonystokoe (9/17/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
After 3 faultless years my i70 won't pull the paper through, it clicks and the wheel turns but it won't feed the paper through and just gives up. Anybody any ideas?

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (9/17/07 7:04 AM) reply + / -
If the printer doesn't put the paper through, i would open up the "Print Mode" in the printers menu. Changing the print mode will change the speed among other functions how paper will feed through the printer.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by tonystokoe (9/17/07 7:42 AM) reply + / -
Hi Fred, thanks for this. I read your response along these lines on an earlier message. I'm on a Mac and can't find 'Print Mode'. I go to the printer, then 'maintenance' but it doesnt' give me a speed option, only head cleaning facility. Help!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (9/17/07 11:59 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I am on Win XP, and down below is a posting I wrote once for this web site, it appears Canon has a different menu for a Mac but I have only the menu for Win XP.

I belief you can change the paper feed by going in the Printing Preferences menu. Click on Control Panel, double click on Printers and Faxes, this should bring up your Canon i70 icon. Right click on the Canon Icon and left click on the Printing Preferences Tab. On the Printing Preferences Menu you will see a heading called Print Quality. Print Quality gives you 4 options, High, Standard, Draft and Custom. Choosing one of these 4 options will change the speed paper moves through the printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by tonystokoe (9/17/07 3:26 PM) reply + / -
Hi Fred, this is the note I spotted before. Unfortunately I have a Mac mouse, which is a one click, so can't get into these options - or am I being a bit dim??

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (9/17/07 7:14 PM) reply + / -
Hi, you should be able to get into the printer menu with a one button mouse. It is just that I substitute a right click for 2 left clicks. Two clicks with the left button will open up a menu and so will one click with the right button. I am using a Logitech Mouse which is programmable.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by tonystokoe (9/24/07 3:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I've just got back to this but made no progress. I can get two options, utility and color sync, but neither give me a facitily to alter the speed. Any other ideas? Thanks

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (9/25/07 4:59 PM) reply + / -
where can i get this printhead from. compusa, office depot, or office max, where?

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Ink In A Wink (9/26/07 9:33 AM) reply + / -
https://shopnow.partsnowllc.com/welcome_portal.asp

Parts now has one for $54.00 U.S.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Egrets (9/29/07 10:57 AM) reply + / -
Nothing new !
I also have a problem with i-70 black printing.
I will begin with the popular advice i.e. cleaning with
Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol but I am a little confused with the percentage.
70% - 90% or does not matter ?
Someone please advise.
Thanks much.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Kirsti (10/4/07 10:28 PM) reply + / -
Try doing what has been stated earlier, uninstall the software, take the inks out, turn the printer off, reinstall the software, replace the inks, try printing.

This worked for me. I had to do the whole thing twice, but it worked.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (10/5/07 10:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi, it must be pure alcohol 90 per cent or better, lower quality alcohol does not do the job.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beiiswanger (10/5/07 10:58 AM) reply + / -
This is in answer to the problem "tonystokoe" has with the printer. I belief you have a Mac, but I run Win XP. On my Printing Preferences Menu I see a heading called Print Quality. Print Quality gives me 4 options, High, Standard, Draft and Custom. Choosing one of these 4 options will change the speed paper moves through the printer.

There is no speed specified on that Menu, but changing the "Print Mode". between High, Standard, Draft and Custom, changes the speed paper moves through the printer.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Egrets (10/6/07 1:34 PM) reply + / -
Thank you Kirsti

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Egrets (10/6/07 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Fred..Thank you much. I would think I can get the 90% alcohol base from CVS or Walgreens...Yes ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (10/21/07 2:11 PM) reply + / -
I fixed my black ink problem after reading over everyone's solution. But, it is printing in the top left corner. It prints everything, but it seems that the printer doesn't know the paper size. How do I change it to print over the entire page? It has happened before, but I cannot remember what I did to correct it. I check printer preferences and it looks ok. I am missing something. Help.......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (11/2/07 6:54 PM) reply + / -
When you put the paper in the printer, have you moved the slide where you insert the paper so the printer knows the size of the paper?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by lynchmobb (11/3/07 4:12 AM) reply + / -
Exact same probs here with i70 not printing black. i did all the cleans with alcohol and got it back for a while then had identical problem, applied the same remedy and now i've got the 7 orange and one green to indicate defective head. tried all the cleans and reinstalls. it is not normal for a product to have this many problems. does anyone know a brand of printer that works? you would have to have a defective head to buy canon after reading these threads.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by lynchmobb (11/3/07 4:52 AM) reply + / -
i've just have just had a look inside i70 print head. a small rubber grommet seperating hard materials which channels the ink is too large for the job and does not allow for alignment of ink passages. the colored side has a better grip with 3 points and is more likely to hold, consequently pushing the black aside and blocking this passage. it must be forced in on assembly or the rubbery material might expand over time? i tried cutting the grommet into pieces and assembled it fitting well around all passages, but still the flashing lights to indicate defective head dont allow function.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by mrfinfish (11/4/07 6:04 PM) reply + / -
My problem with the Canon i70 seems to be a different one that any stated in the previous threads. I have an error light flashing that is not listed in the owners manual. The flashes I get when I attempt to print are 4 alternating flashes (i.e. orange/green, orange/green, orange/green, orange/green, the flashing pauses for 1 second with a solid green light and then commences the 4 cycles of orange/green flashing).

Canons email response to me was not to acknowledge that I have a different error code than what they list in the manual, but simply tell me to open and close the print head lock lever on the print head, and then after assuring that all ink tanks are seated properly, assuring all packing materials have been removed, assure there is no paper jammed in the printer; to then disconnect the printer cable from the printer, close the front cover and turn the printer off, unplug the printer from the power source, and then plug it back in after 30 seconds. After this, power back up and do a nozzle check pattern. Well, it did nothing, except cause a little fustration. They told me my next move would be toward a authorized service center if this process did not work; which, it did not.

Has anyone experienced a problem such as this. The printer is four years old, but has less than a ream of paper through it. It hasn't been used for several years. Thanx for any ideas on this problem.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (11/4/07 7:49 PM) reply + / -
The four orange and green flashes are not listed in the owners manual, the manual says if the lamp flashes alternately green and orange, it is an error that requires contacting a Canon Service Center. Before I take my printer in for service, I would try to reinstall the printer program as a last resort. Not using the printer for a number of years could have affected the printer's counter.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by vroom6sri (11/19/07 12:01 AM) reply + / -
I thought I'd replied on this forum already but I must have done something wrong. Anyway, I wanted to say THANKS to EVERYONE who posted help on this thread. I got my I70 to print black again but I had to take the print head out and soak it in some flush (that I had got with a cartridge refilling kit) overnight. I also used the excellent tip of filling an old cartridge with some of the flush as well and ran a few print through with that. All of these things worked a treat and I have black back again!

Thanks again folks. The Internet can be a truly excellent place at times!

PS - I also changed the battery and ran the reset sequence with the power & paper feed buttons.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Larry750 (12/11/07 3:11 PM) reply + / -
I tried the soaking in alcohol (the printhead), and did repeated deep cleanings (burning through fresh cartriges), until finally the full text was restored. Took an hour of continuous cleaning and test printing.
Thanks for the advice. Now for more alcohol....

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by JayB (12/22/07 3:27 PM) reply + / -
My brother gave me an i70 printer that doesn't work. I downloaded the drivers and everything installed correctly. The printer powers on and does nothing. I get two flashes (green/amber, green/amber). Can someone help me with decoding the two flashes? Thanks for any help possible.
Jay

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (12/22/07 3:51 PM) reply + / -
The Canon i70 manual has 70 pages, any number of things could have gone wrong with your printer. You have to install the printer first with the canon i70 printer CD. You need to chose a document for print-out, or do a test print. You need to install the print cartridges and put a sheet of paper in your printer. Two flashes mean the printer is out of paper. You need to issue the print command, and your printer can take from 1 to 2 minutes before it starts printing. See if the printer advances the paper and if you don't see anything on the paper, the problem is with the cartridges and or the print-head. If nothing works you can always ask your brother how he used the printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by JayB (12/22/07 4:55 PM) reply + / -
My brother used the printer with a Dell 610 laptop. He's on the road
80% of the time and used it to print out time and expense reports. When I said the printer did nothing I meant nothing. When powered on the print head doesn't move, it makes no noise, you can't run a test page or even feed paper. I tried resetting codes but it always goes back to the two flashes. I read on the Canon site that to flashes meant out of paper or possibly something jammed in the roller, but I find nothing in the roller either.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (12/22/07 5:21 PM) reply + / -
When you turn the printer on and lift the plastic cover, the print head with the cartridges should move to the center of the printer. If the print head does not move and it is locked on the right hand side, this means that the black sponge on the bottom of the printer, the waste ink recepticle is full and needs to be replaced. This is a 100 dollar job and you find info on that in previous postings.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by JayB (12/22/07 6:38 PM) reply + / -
There is no movement from the print head. Thanks for your diagnosis. Happy Holidays!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by pissedoffcustomer (1/1/08 1:26 PM) reply + / -
experienced an error with the waste ink tank on my i70.
after resetting the error, i went down to the cannon printer store, "staples", and bought another i70. then i took the defectve one back for credit as though i bought and just didn't want it.
any manufacturer that makes a printer, sells me ink, then programs the machine to waste the ink so i have to pay them to service the machine deserves to get a defective unsellable printer back.
be it hook, crook or unfair play.
staples gets caught in the middle
oh well

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (1/1/08 11:14 PM) reply + / -
OK genius where do you expect the waste ink to go? You can buy a HP and have it spill ink on your desk. You do realize that your USED printer will most likely be reboxed and resold. Thus screwing a innocent comsumer who thinks they are getting a new printer. Good job there. I hope karma gets you good & gets you often!

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (1/28/08 6:35 PM) reply + / -
we have exactly the same problem with the flashing green and amber lights - did you solve your problem????

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (1/28/08 10:18 PM) reply + / -
kindly help me to disassemble the canon iP 90 printer. If you have assemble manual kindly post it.

Re:: Canon i90 printer problem- not printing black by Anonymous (2/4/08 1:02 PM) reply + / -
Hi,

Thanks so much for all this great advise. I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and hey presto prinking black ink again !!!!! Saved me shedloads of money. By the way I have been refilling the ink cartridges manually for over a year now and no problems. Again saved shedloads of money on this.

janfromtherock

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Ben Gunn (2/7/08 3:15 AM) reply + / -
My Canon i70 has taken to printing two light blue, irregular lines, vertically, down the page, made of tiny blotches of ink. Otherwise, the printing is the same as usual. The lines are approximately .8", 1.7", and occasionally a third line is 4.7" from the left edge of the page.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Fred Beisswanger (2/7/08 7:59 AM) reply + / -
I think you should reinstall the Printer Program and see if that fixes the problem.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/7/08 1:51 PM) reply + / -
By gum! It worked. Many thanks.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Ken Bowes (2/23/08 6:12 PM) reply + / -
I have had an i70 for 4 years and had no trouble till recently. When I try to print something from Word or Acrobat the printer blinks then spews out the correct number of pages without printing anything. Yet I can print pictures from Photoshop and Lightroom. Lightroom has recently been installed and I understand there are printing issues with it but I have not heard of this one. I have reinstalled my printer driver without any improvement.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (2/23/08 7:57 PM) reply + / -
There is a possibility that the new program causes your problem, or your black ink cartridge is empty. Run a test print from the maintenance menu to see if you get any black text.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Lmcferran (3/19/08 10:03 AM) reply + / -
OK, I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Ihave changed the black ink several times. NO BLACK INK will print. Color is fine, no black.

How do you get the print head off to clean it? I'll try that.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by jspaek (4/5/08 4:24 PM) reply + / -
When I give to printing signal dosn't move priter head.
I try to restart turn of printer then turen on but , still dosn't move printer head.
Some one helf, Thank you

J Paek

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by ellenj (4/7/08 4:18 PM) reply + / -
I've just tried Fred's alcohol cleaning protocol for my i70 black ink clog. I have reinstalled the alcohol soaked prinhead and am trying to run the print function. I now get error messages saying the printhead is not installed.

Anyone know why this is and how I can remedy it?

Ellen

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by chickiefl (5/3/08 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Hi:

When I turn on my i70, I get error lamp flashes 4 times.
What does this means and what can I do?
Thanks for your help.......

Chickie

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by JoseRuiSantos (5/12/08 6:03 AM) reply + / -
Hello all

After a while without using my i70 printer, I also ended up having the print head with clogged holes.

I fixed it by soaking the print head in hot water and worked just fine. Was nice and easy.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2006948_clean-inkjet-printer.html

Rui

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by TTRON (5/25/08 6:48 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone have a parts list or an exploded picture of a canon i70 printer? I need to replace my paper out sensor and canon is no help!
Thanks in advance! My email add is nilnutt@yahoo.com

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by TTRON (5/25/08 10:03 AM) reply + / -
Anyone know what Service error 5100 means on the i70? It appears fine until I try to print. When I try to print I get that error. It says to refer to the manual but there is no info on error 5100.

Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (5/25/08 4:27 PM) reply + / -
Hello, the Canon i70 Manual states on page 52 when a printer error occurs, the Power/Error lamp flashes. The number of flashes indicates the type of error that has occurred. The Manual says count the flashes and correct the error. Eight flashes mean the Waste Ink Tank is almost full.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/26/08 12:02 PM) reply + / -
Poor I was, am, and hope to die (Blessed are the poor etc.) and so cannot afford Canon repair prices. After being given a secondhand Canon i80, I spent a whole day obtaining free downloads to make it work, and have now spent another day to make it print photos nicely. This involved re-filling the tanks (courtesy Tessa Cohen's Emporium) and much cleaning and deep cleaning from the maintainance tab. Still the Cyan would not run and I was at a loss how to remove the print head for a good wash.Then I chanced on BAB's hint to hold down the resume button for 1 flash and do a nozzle test - Hey Presto! Sorted! Crack a beer! PS How does one remove the print head? Is force required?

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/26/08 12:17 PM) reply + / -
Error 5100 may be carriage related and you may need to investigate with good eyes and a strong torch for foreign bodies.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by millner1949@aol.com (6/8/08 6:13 AM) reply + / -
I have a Cannon i70 printer. I have been trying to use it with the VISTA program on my laptop. When trying to install I am refered to a capability download progam, but VISTA is still not found. suggestion please.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (6/8/08 7:30 AM) reply + / -
As a I have read when people buy a computer with Vista, or install Vista on a computer, the first thing they notice is that their printer no longer works. My best bet is that you go on a Canon web site and find the driver which will allow you to run your I70 with Vista.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (6/8/08 7:44 AM) reply + / -
aomvstea23us.exe This is the driver which I found on a canon web site, you should be able to download that file from the Internet or a canon site and see if it works, with Vista and your I70.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by jkevin draves (6/12/08 2:43 AM) reply + / -
My Computer has stopped working. When I turn it on it spits out 2 blank pages then it comes to a rest and will not do anything. The orange Lights flashes but I cannot get it to respond to anything. Any ideas? I am about to throw it across the room!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (6/12/08 5:16 AM) reply + / -
The printer program becomes at times corrupted, I would reinstall the printers program from the Canon I70 CD and if the printer continues to give me these error flashes, page 52 in the printer manual shows what error the printer has depending on the number of flashes.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by vroom6sri (8/1/08 4:00 PM) reply + / -
Me again from about 1yr ago. The blakcs messing up AGAIN! Can someone remind me how to RESET the printer. Was it hold down the paperfeed button when turning it on?

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/2/08 12:49 PM) reply + / -
OK folks, here's an update from me. I seem to have black back again. I repeated all the steps (except the reset ones coz I couldn't remember how to) in my original post but black was still absent. So... I took all the cartridges out and noticed where the colour ones go you could see traces of the colours on the membrane things the cartridge touches but the one for the black cartridge looked clean. Not sure if this is/was normal or not. Anyway, I checked I didn't have a dud dry balck cartridge by touching a piece of kitchen roll to the black cartridge's hole. It was fine. So I got some black ink from a refill kit in a syringe and squirted some in directly into the bottom of the cartridge and then added a drop at a time to the membrane for the black cartridge in the print head. The 1st few drops just seemed to get absorbed by the membrane but then the last one I added stayed as a little black drop on top of the membrane. I then added the black cartridge again and ran numerous test prints all which had very clear black print on them. Hoorah! I then removed the cartridges again and cleaned the space in the print head, soaking up some of the excess of black ink caused by the above process. I am (fairly) confident that this is all back to normal now.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by TTRON (8/3/08 2:12 PM) reply + / -
WOW that sounds like something I need to try with the Color and black. I just replaced my print head and the printer acts like it is printing but nothing on the papaer at All. I've reinstsalled etc. I don't know the reset procedure either.
I will try this fix this comming weekend!!!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by cricz (8/16/08 10:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi guys! My printer fails to print in black. So I removed the printhead, deep it into 50% printhead cleaner and 50% alcohol for 5 hrs. Then I did 3 deep cleaning but when I tried to print again didn't print in black. BUT I changed the type of paper to photo matte and voila!!!! Print like the first day. I don't know how or what this is happen I guess I'll try a new printhead when this one stop working again. I hope this will help you out.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (8/19/08 12:31 PM) reply + / -
I just pulled this printer out of the closet after over a year of storage. I thought for sure the heads were clogged. Color was ok, but black would not work. After cleaning, re-installing etc. I tried cricz suggestion of changing paper type and indeed "voila!". So it's obviously a software problem of some sort but appearently(?) in the printer itself as I have the same issue with any machine I run the printer on (different/older drivers).

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (9/22/08 6:00 PM) reply + / -
Hello guys,

I've got a problem with my Canon i70 portable printer and i seem to have misplaced the manual for it. so here's the problem: whenever i go to print something nothing happens and the light goes from green to amber after initializing. The amber light flash twice then holds green for a second. Anyone know what that means?

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem (lights) by Anonymous (9/23/08 12:44 AM) reply + / -
An error has occurred in the printer. The number of flashes indicates the type of error, as outlined below. Check the cause and take the appropriate action.

-Two flashes: Out of paper or paper feed error

Reload the paper correctly and press the RESUME/CANCEL button.

-Three flashes: Paper jam

If paper has jammed in the printer, clear the jam, reload the paper in the printer correctly and press the RESUME/CANCEL button.

See Paper Jams

-Six flashes: No print head installed

Install a print head.

-Seven flashes: Defective print head

Contact a Canon service representative.

-Eight flashes: Waste ink tank almost full

The printer has a built-in waste ink tank for the ink used during print head cleaning. Eight flashes indicates that the waste ink tank is nearly full. Press the RESUME/CANCEL button to cancel the error so you can continue printing. Before the waste ink tank becomes completely full, contact a Canon service representative.

Note
Canon recommends that you call for service as soon as this error occurs. Once the waste ink tank becomes completely full, printing will no longer be possible.

-Nine flashes: Ink tank is not installed properly

Open the Print head cover and push the of the ink tank and install the ink tank properly.

-Ten flashes: Battery level is low

Charge the battery. For how to charge the battery, refer to the LK-51 User's Guide.

-POWER lamp flashes alternate green and orange:

An error that requires contacting a Canon service representative may have occurred.

Turn the printer off and unplug the printer from the power supply. Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on.

If the problem remains, contact a Canon service representative.

This info is from the manual. If you need it just email me and I'll send it to you.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (10/1/08 7:47 PM) reply + / -
Hey thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

Re: Canon i70 paper jam problem by inin (10/11/08 8:15 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I had a bad paper Jam and now it does not work. I can not see any problem without taking it apart further.
Actually, I just took the top off by removing all screws and a few clips. Watch for a little white piece of plastic that goes under the on off switch. I can't see much more than with the cover on. Does anyone know the purpose of the small battery?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by inin (10/11/08 8:27 AM) reply + / -
Well, I took it apart and ran it without the covers. It works, even though I really didn't do anything. I still don't know about the little battery. Do all of the printers have the infrared for remote? I have never been able to get mine to work, so I thought it didn't have it. I also do not see where you would put the big optional rechargeable battery.

Locked Print Head, Clogged Nozzles by Anonymous (10/31/08 12:35 AM) reply + / -
My print head locked while I was using alcohol to clean clogged up nozzles, the result of not using my printer for about 6 months. Now when I turn on my printer I get an alternating orange, then green light and when I open the printer, the print head won't move from the far right position. Were you ever able to unlock the print head and if so, how?

I too use alcohol for cleaning and, in addition to soaking the print head with alcohol, I found that filling old cartridges with alcohol and then putting the printer through deep cleaning cycles until the cartridges are low on alcohol also helped.

Re: Locked Print Head, Clogged Nozzles by Anonymous (10/31/08 1:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi all,

I'm "Anonymous". I should have read all problems and suggested fixes before I posted my suggestion about successive deep cleaning cycles with alcohol. Now in hind sight, I recall a warning about the waste ink tank getting full but it went off so fast that I ignored it and eventually ended up with a continuous, alternating green and orange signal when I turn on my printer. It now sounds like my printer has got to go to the repair shop. In short my clogged nozzle fix just created a more costly repair.

About the use of alcohol - my sense is that the 70% solution or something in the order of 50% would be better because the repeated use of alcohol could eventually swell the four "O-rings" that are in the print head.

Hope this makes up for my blunder.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (11/14/08 12:48 PM) reply + / -
I cannot get the printer cartridges to move into position to replace, either. What is the solution? I love this printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (11/26/08 12:47 PM) reply + / -
I had the same exact problem !!! I called 1-800-385-2155 and told them I had the printer for a couple of months. The black ink came out with white omitted slices across the page, about 4 x per page. He had me go to CONTROL PANEL to PRINTERS AND FAXES and R click on the Canon I70 to Printing Preference to Maintenance Tab to Deep Cleaning, do this 3 x and check by either first clicking on NOZZLE CHECK and then to just printing a page. It worked!!!!!!!! Miracle!!! He said it uses a lot of ink to do this, so don't do it too often. He also said to keep the color ink full so it doesn't clog up, also (mine is empty).

Good luck!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Daniel12 (11/30/08 12:10 AM) reply + / -
My i70 finally locked to the far right for the first time. I just added more ink to all of the cartriges. I bought this several years ago when it first went on the market....($300+ i believe). I know that I cannot force the carrier to move out of position because I have one i560 of several that had the same problem. I took the top off and examined how it locks the carrier in place. That waste pad actually moves up and blocks the heads from moving. So you cannot force the carrier to move.
My question is, can I uninstall the printer and reinstall it? Would that change the settings and the i70 would then read the waste pad so the carrier would move from the locked right position?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (11/30/08 8:06 AM) reply + / -
This info is from a previous post, and I believe this is the problem you are facing, when the waste ink pad is full the print head moves to the right of the printer and can no longer be moved.

In the i70 if the waste ink is full, the drain pak assembly, QL2-0194-000, needs to be replaced. It really requires the skill of a trained technician as you have to completely dissasemble the printer, remove the paper feed pressure plate, remove the main print unit, remove the old drain pak, install the new drain pak, check the blotters under the print unit, then reassemble, and then reset the counter. Not an easy job for the laymen or novice. The drain pak runs about $12.90, not including labor.
You can contact http://www.beckscrs.com for this as they are a Canon Authorized repair service. the whole procedure runs about $100, cheaper then a new printer.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by daniel12 (12/2/08 9:50 PM) reply + / -
The amber light flashes I believe six times...the legion says that the printer head is not alligned...something like that.
I followed the protocol of pushing the reset first then the on button and hitting the reset twice and letting go. The amber light comes on and stays on with no flickering. In fact, the only way I can turn it off is by pulling the plug on it. The on/off button will not change the "amber on " setting.
Any thoughts?

Daniel

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (12/3/08 6:14 AM) reply + / -
Hi, the Manual says 6 amber flashes indicate the print head is not installed, 7 amber flashes indicate the print head is defective.

In your case if the print head is locked on the right hand side of the printer, the waste ink pad is full and must be replaced.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by jayel (12/15/08 12:06 PM) reply + / -
My i70 also stopped printing black. I've seen postings here saying to "remove the print head to clean it". However, no one has posted how. Please instruct in detail as to how to remove the print head from the printer? Also, is it OK to use Denatured Alcohol? Thank you very much.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (12/15/08 1:57 PM) reply + / -
To remove the print head turn the printer on, lift the cover on the printer so the print head moves to the center of the printer, as you look down on the print head there are 2 small tabs on the front of the print head, one tab is in the center of the print head, push the print head a quarter of an inch to the right of the printer so you can get to the left tab on the print head, pull the small tab on the left side of the print head up and this releases the print head and the head can be lifted out.

To put the print head back in, put the head back into place and the head will snap back in.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (12/15/08 9:11 PM) reply + / -
SHAME ON YOU CANNON
I really think cannon should be ashamed of themselves robbing poor people with their no good puss in a bag printers. I am one too many customer with the same problem. had I known I was buying a cat in a bag I would not have put my money there, but I thought your name was at least good for something. now I know it's realy good for absolutely nothing!!!!!!!!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by jayel (2/10/09 8:51 PM) reply + / -
Thank you, greyowl, for your most helpful instructions on how to remove the print head. It is now soaking in alcohol and hopefully will solve my problem.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/11/09 7:13 AM) reply + / -
Desperate college student in need of help!

ARGH!!!

So I've had the i70 for quite some time now, I'd say five years more or less. I really like this printer and honestly can't afford to buy another or even have it taken in for repairs.

So here's the deal: After the printer "initializes" I get an alternating amber/green. The amber light flashes 4 times then flashes green. I've looked through the manual and NOTHING in there troubleshoots for FOUR amber flashes! I have tried cleaning the waste ink tank, changing out the ink catridges, and nothing!

If anyone knows what I can do about this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

-Nat

Canon does not start by Anonamys (2/17/09 3:47 PM) reply + / -
Hi

I have this problem that my printer is not turning on, it did not work then it worked know I cant turn it on :( does anyone know what it could be

thanks

Canon does not start by Anonamys (2/17/09 3:49 PM) reply + / -
Hi

I have this problem that my printer is not turning on, it did not work then it worked know I cant turn it on :( does anyone know what it could be

thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (2/17/09 8:39 PM) reply + / -
I bought my canon i70 about 5 years ago, I had several problems with it, the black wouldn't print, the cartriges are small and expensive, maybe refilling the cartriges caused some of the problems. I cleaned the print head last summer, then I bought a new print head, I got ink everywhere except on the paper. The i70 is expensive and costly to repair. I bought a Canon MP240 printer at Radio Shack just before Christmas, the cartriges are larger and it has a scanner, at a price of 30 dollars it was a steal. For a fraction of what it would cost me to put the i70 back into shape, I have now a printer which works.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (2/18/09 5:26 AM) reply + / -
Thanks greyowl its proberbly what I thought but I had to pull the thing apart one more time, u know how it is if anyone is going to break it, it might as well be me :/ so I did and it now works but for how long I dont now I still dont now what fixed it?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by BAB (3/1/09 7:14 AM) reply + / -
If your i70, i80 or even i90 or 90v is no longer printing black, chances are its one of 2 things, clogged print head or nonfunctioning purge unit. The only cure for the nonfunctioning purge unit is a new print unit. They run about $99 but they consist of new carriage mechanism, new blotters, minus the drain pak, new purge unit. Bit to install but well worth it. They have them avail for sale at BECKSCRS.com.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by daniel12 (4/30/09 6:46 PM) reply + / -
Still looking for the solution to "printer head not alligned" on my i70. The head won't move away from the docking position. There is no flashing indicating that the resevior is full.
Any solutions! I aven tried to place a comment on Canon's "support" site...nothing going on there. Really pitifull!

Daniel

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (4/30/09 7:01 PM) reply + / -
What do you call the docking position on the print head. When the cover is lifted, the print head moves to the center, when the print head is locked on the right hand side, the waste ink pad is full and must be replaced.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (4/30/09 7:05 PM) reply + / -
What do you call the docking position on the print head. When the cover is lifted, the print head moves to the center, when the print head is locked on the right hand side, the waste ink pad is full and must be replaced.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/24/09 12:17 PM) reply + / -
I recently purchased a L170 Faxphone Laser Printer which signaled that I needed to replace the cartridge. I opened the front cover and the cartridge was securely jammed on the right side. Additionly,when I opened the front cover the gray plastic hinge popped loose. I am a retired person with very limited knowledge of computers and printers. Can someone please help me release the cartridge and replace the hinge. Thank you in advance, Peter Skidmore

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by another ripped off c (7/18/09 1:26 PM) reply + / -
I wish I had a year or two of a working printer.this cannon printer SUCKS not only it says there is no black ink (after replacing the ink cartridge) it won't scan because it says the printer is out ink. Obviously this is a very common problem and cannon has a deaf ear.I think everyone with a non fixable printer should send them back to cannon let them pay the postage and throw it out.this is a ripoff to have to buy new ink at nearly the price of a printer and it still doesn't work.Don't waste our natural resources building (or buying) crap like this, do they listen to unsatisfied customers who vow never to buy another cannon product?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Tom Gackle (8/4/09 8:32 AM) reply + / -
I've had the same problem as everyone else...printer would not print black. I changed several print cartridges and bought some fresh ones just to make sure it wasn't a bad cartridge. Tried the 99% rubbing alcohol. Tried uninstalling the software and re-installing. Tried E-mailing Canon for assistance. So far, still stuck with a junk printer. I think it's time for a class action lawsuit if Canon does not provide a solution to owners.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (8/4/09 2:09 PM) reply + / -
The Canon i70 is a junk printer, people were paying hundreds of dollars for what they believed was a quality printer, I bought new cartridges and even a new print head, it was all a waste of money. I am using now the Canon MP240 which seems to work alright. Radioshack is selling the Canon MP240 at times for 30 Dollars.

Canon also had problems with Digital Cameras, the LCD Displays Canon obtained from Sony were faulty, the LCD turned black, and people who had computers were able to find out that Canon offered to replace the faulty displays free of charge. Two stores which I visited and had sold Canon Digital Cameras were not aware that there was a problem with the faulty displays and the free replacement by Canon.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Bouthsady (9/3/09 11:58 PM) reply + / -
Dear All team

Excuseme, I'm having Big problem with my printer Canon ij i70.

Because of, Ink erros....

How can i do, Pls show me that.

Thanks...

Regard

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by new person (11/1/09 8:37 PM) reply + / -
i deep cleaned as you all have done. no satisfaction. then, instead of spending 50 bucks i got out the rubbing alcohol, swab and q tip. after reading how to remove the print head, and not touching the circuit bits, i swabbed all, especially the black ink delivery system and the connection between the cartridge and the horizontal delivery system on the underside of the head. immediate results. deep cleaning about 3 or 4 more times, and the printer is working like a charm.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (11/5/09 11:30 AM) reply + / -
Hi aninymous student,
I found your problem with the Canon printer. I have the same problem. Did you eventually succeed in solving this problem? If so, I would like to hear from you how....Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Blainaz (1/3/10 3:50 PM) reply + / -
I keep getting the message that the color cartridge is not in correctly. Same message if I try other cartridges. It looks like the "sensor" is broken off underneath the cartridge. How can I get a new one or a replacement?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by OB1 (1/11/10 8:11 PM) reply + / -
The best way to fix a clogged printer head is to remove it from its dock. Get a can of penatrating fluid. With the thin red tube directional plastic straw. Then open up some news paper on the floor and go to town pressure cleaning the printer nossle with the areosol can of penatrating fluid. Then just dab it dry with a paper towel. Once re-installed used the nossel cleaning features on the printer and run a few test pages, this will force the ink through pushing out any remaining cleaning fluid. What happened to my i-70 was I got cheap with the replacement printer cartriges and bought a store brand at Staples office supply. I use only the Canons now. They are cheaper at Best Buys. I have another problem now, a virus or something has locked up my printer in the middle of printing a page from a website. Or it might be the internal (watch size)battery. I took it out from that back panel and looking to see just what it is suppose to do. It isn't listed in the manual.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by josette (1/13/10 10:44 PM) reply + / -
four six year i have a troble free i70 canon pinter and now i have his warning that my ink drain is full and it will not print anymore how can i fix this ploblem?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (1/14/10 6:33 AM) reply + / -
When the ink train is full it needs to be replaced. You have to get your printer to a canon service center, replacing the drain pad is a difficult and costly procedure, see previous posts on this site.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Daniel12 (1/22/10 2:28 PM) reply + / -
I need to know how to take the cover off after the screws are removed from the outside of my i70. the rear will open but the front is still binding like there are tabs that are not releasing. Also I need to know how to reset the counter on the Waste ink pad that I need to replace. A source or suggestions on what can be used to replace or clean up the waste ink pad.

Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by vroom6sri (2/2/10 11:13 AM) reply + / -
I was just about to sell my I70 for spare parts on e.bay when an extremely nice member of the e/bay community contacted me to tell me that the waste tank counter can be reset. The steps to do this are as follows...

The waste absorber full reset sequence for the IP70, 80 & 90:

1) Turn off the printer.

2) Press and hold the Resume/Cancel and Power buttons at the same time.

3) Release the Resume/Cancel button. (continue to hold down the power button)

4) While continuing to hold down the power button press the Resume/Cancel button 3 times then release both buttons.

5)The LED should now be green.

6) Press the Resume/Cancel button 4 times. The led should be green.

Power it off and you should be good to go!

I've tried it and it worked. Printed a photo to test it. The guy who gave me this info says he has used it on his I80 (or I90) and managed to get something like another 100 prints before failing again. I suppose at some point it will totally fail but this might allow you to squeeze a little more life out of a pretty good little printer (apart from it's stupid maintenance requirements and niggles!).

GOOD LUCK.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Vincent DiPaola (2/11/10 11:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi,

I am getting an error message, it's new to me, has anyone else seen this?

'Error message # 1700, The waste ink absorber is almost full', and I can't print. Seems straight forward enough, but I'm having problems finding directions on how to fix it. Anyone know?

v

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (3/20/10 7:57 AM) reply + / -
I am not very mechanically inclined. I'm trying to remove the print head from the Canon I70 for cleaning. Can someone give direction? Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Doug Thompson (4/19/10 9:07 AM) reply + / -
My i70 is old but barely used. Tried using it and black was mostly clogged. Put in a new cartridge and did cleaning and the black seemed to clog up completely. Tried multiple cleanings to no avail. I pulled the cartridge out and put back in multiple times and tried cleaning the head with glass cleaner with no results. As a last resort I unplugged the printer from all cables and reset my printing system in Mac OS X. When I plugged it back in in powered up I noticed I forgot to put my black back in so I put the cartridge back in and did one more cleaning and now the black looks perfect. Not sure what happened but I'm amazed that it is suddenly working.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by earthworm (4/19/10 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Excellent advice.
Why have I not seen any "cleaning only" cassettes for sale?
Seems to be to be an excellent idea..
I wish I had save some ink tanks, then I make my own cleaning cartridge using 90-95 % isopropyl alcohol.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Anonymous (5/5/10 9:38 PM) reply + / -
Found that cleaning the minor ink overages off of the surfaces in the far right or cleaning position solved problem with software message (inktank not installed) after replacement.Used isopropyl a q-tip and TLC. Opened cover as if to change tanks and then turned of printer to get print head out of the way.Left plenty of time for it to dry after. works like a champ!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by sabari (6/27/10 10:04 PM) reply + / -
my canon i70 is worked very good and now a days i can't print in color.. I changed new canon color cataridge and now also works without color...

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by sabari (6/27/10 10:07 PM) reply + / -
my canon i70 is worked very good and now a days i can't print in color.. I changed new canon color cataridge and now also works without color...

Re: Canon ip90v printer problem by printerman60 (7/19/10 11:59 AM) reply + / -
how does one remove the covers, to get to the USB & IR boards.
printer creates internal test page. but nothing from the computer.
Displays 'collecting printer status'.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by acclaser (7/23/10 7:34 AM) reply + / -
YES, I am interested in the manuel & tech bulletins,if they are still available.Please call 337-654-3303 for credit card info
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by printerman60 (7/23/10 8:34 AM) reply + / -
current service manual is not good
not enough info to safely remove elec components
covers removed..

teh ink is water soluable, IPO or warm water

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by huser09 (8/4/10 2:41 PM) reply + / -
I've had my i70 for about 5 years and love it because of the size. Suddenly it prints only every other line or so in black. I've always used Canon original cartridges, so I replaced the ink twice, to no avail. Color seems to be OK.

Any ideas? Can Canon fix this problem for less than the cost of a new printer?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by printerman60 (8/5/10 7:44 AM) reply + / -
phone canon 800#..printhead

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by acclaser (8/5/10 9:13 AM) reply + / -
to; printerman 60, found a vendor for a new printhead if needed. I need to clean the area(residue-ink) do the covers need to be removed? please help, Thanks.

Canon i70 printer, Do you have a service manual? by LarryAlba (8/15/10 3:01 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
Do you have the i70 repair manual.
My black ink quit and I will clean it with alcohol, as many people say.
I will also later change the ink drain pak.
This requires a service manual.

Thank You

larryalba@yahoo.com

Re: Canon ip90v portable printer by printerman60 (9/24/10 4:55 PM) reply + / -
not printing from usb. printer not acknowledged by win xp after downloading software, no response.
green light on, no flashing to acknowledge receiving print,
prints internal test page.
customer wants to print using bluetooth!
installed new logic board, no change

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Alex C (11/4/10 6:16 PM) reply + / -
For those that have "soaked" the print head in alcohol... does that mean you left the circuit board and everything on the head, or did you remove it?

It seems wrong to soak that board...

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by adler999 (11/5/10 9:21 AM) reply + / -
I have had the Canon I70 for more then 5 years, it requires extensive maintenance and is expensive to repair, I have come to realize that the Canon I70 is a piece of junk.

I bought the Canon MP240 about 3 years ago, it scans which the I70 does not do, Radio Shack sells the Canon MP240 or MP250 for $ 30 at times, I am very happy with my Canon MP240.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Alex C (11/5/10 9:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi addler999,

I agree that the i70 is probably junk. I actually removed my i70 from the original packaging material less than 4 months ago. I printed about 45 pictures, then put it away for a month. After bringing it back online, I found the black could barely print.

I suspect that "old" ink cartridges caused this problem (they all have an expiration date of 04/2008).

Soaked the entire print head in 91% alcohol last night, no improvement.

I'd like to continue using the i70 because the print quality of 4x6 photos was phenomenal, and ink cartridges can be found for a mere $5. I'll look into this MP series though.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Karls (2/14/11 1:15 PM) reply + / -
Hi - I have an i70 that wont print. I tried cleaning the print heads and no luck I assume I need new print heads as I'm only getting very limited ink through the cartridges. Perhaps someone here has print heads they bought and don't need? My budget is too tight to shell out $50 or so. Thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by printerman60 (2/14/11 5:26 PM) reply + / -
canon print heads have a vacuum effect to draw the ink into the print head, once piece of electronics is dead, time for a new printer.
these portable printers are pricey! the part I need is the gear that drives everything. otherwise, its junk!
parts are available through Canon or an authorized dealer, and they aint cheap.
no wonder canon keeps introducing updated versions of this.
you may want to try HP portable printers.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Karls (2/14/11 5:31 PM) reply + / -
So it might not be the print head but another function that controls the ink flow?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by bjarvis (4/2/11 8:27 AM) reply + / -
my problem is similar but, when i print a B/W document, it is not clear. parts of the doc do not print clearly. i'm sure it's alignment but have lost my manual. i wonder if i adjust to the solid patterns or to the patterns with the most white lines to correct alignment? i could use some help.
thanks

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by georgepcnerd (5/4/11 4:59 AM) reply + / -
my printer light is flashing orange 3 times and then turns green for 1 to 2 seconds, and keeps repeating this. Does anyone know what this code is referring to?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by rumawe (5/13/11 9:11 AM) reply + / -
I love my i70 and have had great prints from it, but lately the photo prints have been coming out with black vertical dashes at regular intervals along the left edge of the photo (right side of the printer). It's really frustrating when I need borderless pictures. Any ideas?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by printerman60 (5/13/11 11:57 AM) reply + / -
check the carriage the ink rides

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by greyowl (5/13/11 12:25 PM) reply + / -
The Canon I70 is a high end printer suitable for people who have a lot of time on their hands and like to fiddle around with it. If one thing gets fixed then something else goes wrong.

I put my Canon I70 out to pasture a long time ago. Radio Shack had the Canon MP240 on sale at times for $ 30. I bought a Canon MP240 years ago and am very happy with it.

The Canon MP240 is now no longer around, but I saw the Canon MP250 and Canon MP260 which is also on sale at times at Radio Shack for $ 30. Now I am in Ottawa Canada, so if you are in the States you need to find out where you can get a Canon MP250 or MP260 for $ 30.

Re: Re: Canon i70 printer problem by kirth (5/30/11 6:29 AM) reply + / -
botyok mna

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by norskie54 (9/18/11 7:41 AM) reply + / -
My i70 will print black when I run the print test, but will not print any black otherwise. It is a new black cartridge. I am on a Mac. I have loved this printer, but have spent hours trying to figure this out. I assume I don't need to clean any print heads since the black does print on the test. I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,etc. Any ideas?

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by SH (9/20/11 11:10 AM) reply + / -
When my print head clogged up - soaked it (in 70% isopropyl OH) ad naseum - problem, when I put it back in, and try to get test print, message says "no print head" so i try again, same message. Have another print head, which now will not print red, even with cartridges that i know flow. Am reluctant to try soaking it - afraid that i will wind up with another "no print head" message when i reinstall. I do like this printer ....

Canon MP170 will not take paper. by bernardmce (11/1/11 6:51 AM) reply + / -
My Canon MP170 seems to have the mechanics working well; the paper input works, the rubber wheel comes forward to take the paper, but only rarely does it take it. The rubber wheel that hits the paper is clean, and "rubbery" (I've cleaned it to make sure). But with the input filled with paper, or even with only a few sheets it will not take a sheet. Can the MP170 be opened up to examine what the process is and try to repair? Any other suggestions; anyone with same problem? Or anyone want a non-functioning MP170.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by jrfortune5 (edited 12/4/11 6:25 PM) reply + / -
Finally!! Success... I have had no black ink printing at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled software, took out print cartridges, powered off and then turned everything back on - twice. No help. Then I took printhead out and rinsed it with hot water under the sink for about 3 minutes, making sure the contacts on the bottom were washed too, dried it off very well, reinstalled and success! I thought it really would have been a shame to throw the printer away because it was doing everything but printing the actual ink. The paper acted like it was being printed on and was going through fine. Happy I am persistent!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by OzzyIT (1/5/12 8:08 PM) reply + / -
Well.....I was in need of something portable, bought the i70, the ink and all was fine, until happens the same black issue....read here a lot, and, as didnt had alcohol handly, guest what?.....used listerine and voila!!! my cartridge is working as new oob!!!

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by drgant2 (1/10/12 10:48 AM) reply + / -
i70 printer amber light flashes green then 4 amber flashes. Make a teribble sound after carriage moves to left then right and then attempts to ctr and makes sound as if catching on something and grinding. ink head moves freely if pushed lh or rh.

Re: Canon i70 printer problem by Raggety (2/12/12 9:20 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I've cleaned the print head of my i80, and when installed in printer the LED is green. But when I send to printer the LED flashes orange 6 times. Green (long) Orange (x6 short) Green (long) etc. Is my print head dead or can I try a reset? I've already tried the reset for ink waste tank (the last press of the power button nothing happens, another press and it turns off).

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters