fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by jlolson (12/7/05 8:17 PM) reply + / -
Oh joy, I've spent about 10 hours on this miserable problem. I cannot find a way to reset this code anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Note to i80 potential purchasers, I've had this unit for 12 months and have put about 1200 sheets through it. It is now dead because of this problem. This unit shut down on me today 1.5 hrs from the office. I had to go to wal mart and buy another printer to get paperwork to my customer. Buy the HP 460-avoid a portable printer that will leave you high and dry for a completely arbitrary reason. I tore this thing all apart and the waste ink is not saturated or messy at all. There is no chance of waste ink spilling anywhere.

What a waste. This unit will not be sent to a repair center for over $100. That is insane. Why can a consumer not be allowed to reset this unit!!!!

Canon, Sorry you just lost a 20 year customer and our whole company was phazing in i90's, but not now!!! You lost us forever!

$300 printer +150 in ink=$450 With about 1200 printed sheets that comes out to around $.30 per sheet!!! Thats mighty pricey!

LET THE BUYER BEWARE, THIS IS AN AWESOME PRINTER BUT IT NOT ONLY WILL LEAVE YOU HIGH AND DRY, IT IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO OPERATE!!!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Printx (12/8/05 2:34 PM) reply + / -
Hi

Try this to reset the error.

1) Close the print head cover, and turn off the printer. While pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press the Power button. (Do not release the buttons. The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)

2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (Do not release the Power button.)

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button three times, and then release the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.) During initialization, the LED blinks in green.

4) When the LED stops blinking and lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the 4 times. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.)

5) Press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the
selected function is performed. (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

6) Power off then back on and test.

Cheers

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by unhappy (4/4/06 6:03 PM) reply + / -
can anyone tell me how to replace/empty/? the waste ink absorption pad on the canon i80 printer? After replacing, will I need to delete the error code? Thanks

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (5/8/06 1:06 PM) reply + / -
This is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery good... worked fine with me. Next step, opening the printer case and clean the bl***y tampon...
Does anyone know about opening the botom cover of the i80? (I already reached the top cover but now I'm stuk)

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by cam (8/7/06 10:14 PM) reply + / -
Hello, my waste tank pad in my i80 keeps filling with ink after only a few print jobs, and the tank full error returns because the pad is saturated. I would have to keep taking it out and rinsing it to use the printer. Has anyone else seen this or know what the problem is?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by kschwinn (9/7/06 5:16 PM) reply + / -
Have not yet had "waste ink tank full" error code yet but expect to at any time. Have just ordered new print head. Find that if you do not use about once every 10 days, heads plug. Have done so many deep cleans that cleaner pad was floating in ink. Tried to get cover off to get to waste tank and find that cover is fastened at control buttons in center. Unable to continue with tear down. Can anyone tell me step by step HOW to gain access to the tank and remove?

Have found the instructions given by PRINTX to be similar to those given on several other locations on the web so they should work. Have not personally tried it yet.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (9/10/06 7:27 PM) reply + / -
Hi There, Just to let you all know, the cannon i80 does not have waste ink PADS, it has a waste ink resovior which is fed from the front of the capping assembly down the right hand side & into the white plastic assembly that sits behind the paper feed assembly.

i'm just about to clean one out but i would not recomend this unless you are confident in totally dissmantling & reassembling printers

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (9/16/06 8:41 AM) reply + / -
Hi there

Thanks to Printx for that valuble info. Works like a charm. Lovely little printer except for this hickup. Also left high and dry at customer. Couldn't print jobsheets. Have now got 2 I can use again. Tnx again.

Cheers

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/13/06 3:15 PM) reply + / -
Thanks it worked!!!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by BoutTime (1/9/07 3:04 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
My Canon i80 is all of a sudden not working. It had been a while since I used it. I kept getting error messages and flashing lights. I took the printer apart and cleaned the pad that sits on what I believe is the Waste Ink Collector. I then performed the reset numerous times until mysteriously it seemed to work. Then the print quality was poor. I couldn't get any yellow ink out of even new cartridges, and I had streaks through the other colours. So I removed the Print Head and soaked it with alcohol but no joy. I then soaked it again with very hot water, dried it out, and put the Head back in. Now it won't print at all. It feeds two sheets of paper through and then I get a green light which changes to orange twice before changing back to green.
Basically it is Green, orange, green, orange, green. It repeats this over and over. Any suggestions that don't involve lobbing the printer out of the window? I loved this printer but now I'm starting to see the trade offs. I guess you don't get anything for nothing!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by BoutTime (1/9/07 4:46 AM) reply + / -
Just a bit of feedback......
I opened up the printer again and noticed that there were greasy mark on the clear plastic tape that runs along the front of the printer. It appears the carriage uses this possibly to ascertain it's position. Anyhow I cleaned it and the error has gone. Now I'm left with the only Cyan and black coming through the printer head. I'll try some more cleaning.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (1/17/07 12:42 PM) reply + / -
You may not have to replace the head, if you hold the resume button down until it flashes green once and then let go it will start a short cleaning cycle. Do this from 10-15 times and the head should clear. However you may find yourself cleaning the ink tank shortly after.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (1/21/07 6:59 AM) reply+1 + / -
HI

I've got a CANON IP90 printer and message about Waste Ink Tank Full has appeared.
I proceeded like you explain for a I80 printer and it seems to
be correct as the message doesnt appear anymore.
Unfortunately there is still a problem:
The printer does not print at all!
I think i have made a mistake during the procedure (maybe press
the Resume/Cancel button 5 times instead of 4 times).

I proceeded a Print head alignment and an error message appeared:
"Service Error 5100". Do you know what it means ?

Do you know how to reset the printer to the factory preset ?
I think i have put a "bug" in the printer.

Thank you for your answer and it's still time to send you
my best wishes for the new year .

Philippe

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by meekrat (2/18/07 8:04 AM) reply + / -
Hey,
my printer say the color ink cartridge is not inserted, I put it in and out to no avail, so I test the cartridge sensor switch, the black ink cartridge switch works fine when I actuate it. The color one does not. I'm wondering if this is worth fixing? Is this part of the head assembly?

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (4/9/07 11:28 PM) reply+2 + / -
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
IT WORKED PERFECTLY MAKING ME TO SAVE $100 IN REPAIR!!
THANKS AGAIN!!!
ROB

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (7/17/07 2:32 PM) reply + / -
Found this instruction. it worked. Thanks! 17 July 2007.

Re: Canon ip90 Waste Ink Tank Almost Full by chelen (8/9/07 10:11 AM) reply+1 + / -
I am getting the message that my Canon iP90 waste tank is almost full. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks,

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by chelen (8/9/07 10:32 AM) reply + / -
Where did you find the directions? I am new to this site.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (8/9/07 11:57 AM) reply + / -
THE LINK IS HERE:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/34207?reply=2

The TEXT of the link is below here:
=========================================================
Hi

1) Close the print head cover, and turn off the printer. While pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press the Power button. (Do not release the buttons. The LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)

2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (Do not release the Power button.)

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button three times, and then release the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.) During initialization, the LED blinks in green.

4) When the LED stops blinking and lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the 4 times. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the LED lights alternately in either orange or green, starting with orange.)

selected function is performed. (When the operation completes, the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

Cheers

Re: Re: Canon iP90 Waste Ink Tank Full by chelen (edited 8/10/07 11:36 AM) reply+1 + / -
Don't I have to take the printer apart first and empty the tank and/or change/clean the blotter? Thanks for your help.

The printer just stopped printing all together so I followed your directions and they worked. I guess I still have to take it apart at some point. Where can I go to get directions to do this? Thanks, again

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by mgraeme (9/27/07 8:34 PM) reply+1 + / -
This reset solution works for the Canon iP90 as well. I just tried it and it resolved my "waste ink absorber is almost full" problem. What a joke. I never found the waste ink absorber. Certainly nothing that looked like the graphical representation in the error message.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by chelen (9/28/07 4:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your reply. It worked for me too but I've been worrying about whether I still needed to replace the waste ink absorber. I'll stop worrying.

Canon ip90 Waste Ink almost full by Apostrophe (10/18/07 5:29 AM) reply + / -
I tried to thank Printx and this forum community yesterday but it seemed my post didn't go through. I'll try again because having been successful with the instructions below (posted by Printx way back in December 05)I can confirm that they still work with a recent ip90.

By the way, for now I'm accepting earlier comments that it is unnecessary to do anything to physically empty the absorber on the ip90. Does anyone know any different?

In the meantime many thanks to everyone who made it possible for me to sit at my laptop in London and easily fix a sick printer. It restores my fragile faith in human nature that there are so many clever people out there who generously share their expertise for no reward beyond the knowledge they may help someone like me out of an expensive problem. We salute you all!

These are the instructions which worked for me on my Canon pixma ip90 bought August 06:

Re: Canon ip90 Waste Ink almost full by chelen (10/18/07 7:00 AM) reply + / -
I too found these instructions fixed the problem and I am also hoping to hear that no other action is necessary.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (10/30/07 7:48 AM) reply + / -
Hi. Just to say thank youfor the information it seems to have rectified my problem. Nice to know people are willing to help blonde and dangerous thinking women. TEE|HEE.
many thanks again much appreciate it.
nicky

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by krcmd (11/5/07 4:29 PM) reply + / -
After botching my attempt to replace the tank myself I've taken it in.

How can I get instructions to tear-down the i80?

Has anyone worked out how to install an external waste tank?

How can one clean out the heads without filling the tank?

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Bufo D. Toad (11/6/07 3:00 AM) reply + / -
You're welcome.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/6/07 3:03 AM) reply + / -
don't believe there's an external waste tank. fill the empty ink tank[s] with the cleaner juice found in ink refill kits, and run deep cleaning. detergent water may work also - ink is water soluble. Alcohol works also, I'm told. NEVER touch the nozzles! Blow them dry with canned air.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Zhivago (11/7/07 12:29 AM) reply + / -
Wow! Great advice! My i80 has been an absolute workhorse. I have been using it intesively for over 2 years with no problems when suddenly -- in the middle of Kazakhstan! -- I get the message the waste ink holder is full. Almost resigned to having to buy a crappy HP model from the local corner store just to keep working, I googled the problem and found this solution. THANK YOU for posting it here!

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by chelen (11/7/07 6:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the advice. The "cleaner juice" worked like a charm. I was planning to try that when I returned home from vacation so your reply was very timely telling me to do it.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/8/07 3:41 AM) reply + / -
NEVER leave the printer UPSIDE DOWN! Dries out the nozzles. If right side up, so long as there's ink in the tanks, it'll be fine. My bud's i90 sat for a year, and worked fine.

Ink for refills: IMS company www.ims-ink.com 1 800 304 6125. They'll send u a bubble pack full of squeeze bottles of ink. work absolutely fine. don't buy tanks - refill! tell 'em the Toad sent u! This stuff works on canon ip6000 as well as i950 i960. all the older canon. dunno if works on new ones; supposed to be brewing new ink for those.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by hworland (11/21/07 3:39 PM) reply + / -
I am so upset! This is ridiculous and I am not the type of person that works well with mechanical things. If anyone can help me fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it!!! I have tried resetting the printer, but it still does not work. I think I just have to fix the ink tank. Thanks.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/21/07 4:03 PM) reply + / -
please try to follow the instructions and advice posted above. if it doesn't happen for you, post a reply and we'll try to un-stick your problem.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by hobch (11/28/07 3:06 AM) reply + / -
The reset worked perfectly. What happens when the ink absorber actually does get full - does ink pour out on to my desk or in my laptop bag ? Has anybody succesfully changed the ink absorber - bit confused here.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by hobch (11/28/07 3:37 AM) reply + / -
Sorry - I think you can forget my last post ! I have now read back through the posts and note that you don't think the waste tank exists, or am I still confused !

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/28/07 5:26 AM) reply + / -
The waste tank doesn't exist. It's a ploy to get $60-$80 out of the unsuspecting. Just press the buttons as directed, and it'll work again.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by hobch (11/28/07 5:53 AM) reply + / -
Thanks. What a con ! I've sent my i80 to Canon in the UK twice already to have this dealt with.
Never again !

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by chelen (11/28/07 6:00 AM) reply + / -
I seem to be having a continuing stream of problems with this printer. Now when I try to print it makes a loud noise and goes into error mode. I thought it might be caused by the cartridge so I tried changing it to no avail. The paper feeds through without a problem if it isn't printing. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/28/07 6:51 AM) reply + / -
If u r running it from a PC [not direct from a camera]try deleting the printer from the list of printers, and re-loading the driver from scratch. Mine had corrupted on my laptop; a re-load fixed it.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (11/28/07 6:54 AM) reply + / -
Buy aftermarket ink in injector bottles, and re-fill the dippy little tanks from the bottles. It'll save you THOUSANDS of dollars / euros / pounds [pounds? TONS! :-] over the life of the printer.
New printers have counters in the tanks to stop the printing when you've refilled the tank. Scumbags. I'm sure there's a re-set hack....

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/16/07 3:29 PM) reply + / -
There certainly is a waste tank, you can see it and partially clean it without striping the printer down, but after taking the printer top off you can give the whole area a good clean.
The tank is the little plastic tray to the right of the carridge, its about 1cm x 2 and a half and has an absorbant pad inside it held in by delicate rubber wings, the pad can be taken out and a metal plates sits below which can also be removed revealing a small tube throught which ink passes.
You can strip all of this out and clean or just give a quick wipe out with cotton buds without dismanteling too much.
I would recomend that if you have the time and patience then at least do the following;
Take the absorbant pad out and keep patting it on kitchen roll etc until no more in comes off, then gently clean around the rest of the tank with cotton buds, this should be enough cleaning to keep everything happy!
The worst you can do is be a touch to rough and knock the small spring out of place that sits under the tank (you will feel this spring as you prod at the tank) the spring is a pain to get back in place!
So - be gentle, blott the pad clean and that should be enough!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/31/07 8:10 AM) reply + / -
I tried the instructions with the Power-Resume/cancel buttons and now is working perfectly. Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (12/31/07 8:13 AM) reply + / -
Good!

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by scriv1957 (1/8/08 2:22 AM) reply + / -
can anyone post the definitive procedure for removing the top cover in order to gain access to clean the print tank/pad.

i have removed the 2 screws at the rear of the case, and the 1 screw at front left (under the flap) but the top wont budge...i dont want to try to force it in case i damage something.

also does anyone know what the battery (located behind the cover on the right of the rear panel) is for? ( i found this whilst busily removing screws trying to get access to the elusive ink tank!).

Thanks

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (1/8/08 7:18 AM) reply + / -
I'd suspect the battery is to maintain the settings in the prom chip. Dunno about removing cover....

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Nur (1/15/08 8:10 AM) reply + / -
Would you pls help me to figure out why I have difficulty with my canon i80 after I changed it with a new ink tank - It printed alright, but no ink came out?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Nur (1/15/08 8:25 AM) reply + / -
Would you pls help me to figure out why I have difficulty with my canon i80 after I changed it with a new ink tank - It printed alright, but no ink came out?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Bufo D. Toad (1/15/08 8:32 AM) reply + / -
try running the clean option. make sure the new tank has ink. Could be a defective tank, or empty.

don't buy tanks - buy ink refill kits.
one company: IMS phone 1 888 304 6125 www.ims-ink.com

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by alamoviedo (1/28/08 11:03 AM) reply + / -
Hi, my name is Alam and im having a problem with my pixma ip90, a Service error 5100 keeps appearing every time i try to print something, and it seems to me that someone has got a satisfactory answear to this problem, so i would be realy thank if you guys could give some directions on how to solve my situation.

Thanks for your time,

Alam

Pixma ip90 error 5100 by alamoviedo (1/28/08 11:05 AM) reply + / -
Hi, my name is Alam and im having a problem with my pixma ip90, a Service error 5100 keeps appearing every time i try to print something, and it seems to me that someone has got a satisfactory answear to this problem, so i would be realy thank if you guys could give some directions on how to solve my situation.

Thanks for your time,

Alam

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (1/28/08 11:24 AM) reply + / -
if it's the waste tank full code, see above

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Printx (12/8/05 2:34 PM)

on how to fix.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (3/15/08 12:36 AM) reply + / -
You really do not have to remove the cover unless you have knocked out the two little clips which push the cleaning tray with the ink absorbant pads against the ink cartridges.
If you did push the spring loaded cleaning tray out, then you will have to remove the cover by removing the two top screws on the back of the printer after removing the battery. Undo the two small screws in the front of the printer paper out port, one on the right and the inner one on the left. Then remove the two black clips on either side, the left side is for the USB lead into the printer and the right side is for USB out, then you will see another clip holding the cover on, push the two clips on the back in to release the back part of the cover, then the one clip under the black plate and pull the back open first. There is another plastic clip in the middle of the top cover and this will unclip itself. The front part of the cover is held down by an internal clip on either side and the cover will come off.
The tricky part is to lift the two springs out, I used a bit of fine copper wire (from some electrical wires), I folded a short length into a loop and loop it around each spring and keeping both springs opened by pulling them up and then with your third hand try to fit the tray back in and then release the spring back on the tray.
It sounds very complicated but just very fiddly.
But after cleaning out the whole tray, the absorbant pad, I still get waste tank full message and eight amber and one green blinks and have to push resume before each print, eventually the ink tray locked up altogether.
Have unlocked using the procedures mentioned above and printer is working but still get waste tank full message but at least the print heads are not locked up as before.
May be someone can help shed some light about this message about waste tank full and how to get rid of it.
Thanks.
philip

Canon i960 black ink problems *Waste Ink Tank Full by VC Diva (3/28/08 10:06 AM) reply + / -
It was comforting to read others shared the same problems I've long endured with the Canon I-960 printer. None of Canon's re-set instructions work, nor did the helpful instructions posted on this site to clear the waste ink tank and get the printer to start printing in black ink again.

The nearest service center is 133 miles away. Does anyone have other suggestions how to solve the problem short of getting a new printer?

Thank you.
VC Diva in Central Illinois

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Philip Cheung (3/28/08 6:23 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I am not familiar with the i960 but have fixed up most of my friends' I80 and I90 printers, these are the little portable printers with a battery attached. One of my friends actually spend two to three hundred bucks each time and has bought four of them out of desperation because she needed it for her work and cannot afford any down time.
Firstly, has your printer tray locked up already. After getting waste ink tank full messages for a few times, the ink tray will eventually lock up and no matter what you do, the printer will not work at all. You will then have to follow the intructions as before to unlock it by pressing the various buttons in those sequences. However, I have only done this to the I80's and i90's but not sure about your model.
For the i90's, the procedure to open up the box is different to what I described before, because that applied to the i80, but the whole thing can be done in less than half an hour to clean the ink pads up.
May be you can leave me your email and I will write to you or skype you instead.
Philip, Melbourne, Australia. A long way from Illinois!!

Reset Canon Pixma ip1880 Waste Ink Tank Full by amuba (4/12/08 11:32 PM) reply-1 + / -
RESETER CANON & EPSON + MANUAL RESET HP by amuba (4/12/2008 11:27 PM) reply + / -
Reset Canon

Cuma pengen berbagi pengalaman nih, saya udah lama make printer canon mulai dari type yang i320, i255, i1000, i1200, i1600, i1700, i2200 sekarang i880. diantara semua type itu yang paling awet mudah resetnya itu yang i320, 255 n i1000. kalo udah blink pertama reset manual dulu:
1. matiin power (cabut kabel)
2. tekan resume
3. colok power (masih tekan resume), trus lepas resumenya
4. trus tekan resume 4 kali (bakal kelihatan lampu -orange-hijau-orange-hijau)
5. lepas resume
6. turn off power then turn on
abis itu baru di reset pake softwarenya. nah kalo utk yang seri i200, i1300, i1600, i1700, i2200, cara reset manualnya agak beda dikit yaitu pada langkah ke empat cuma di tekan 2 kali saja, tapi kadang ada printer dr type ini yang tidak bisa di reset manual. jadi selama pengalaman saya ada yang bisa di reset manual ada yang tidak. jadi cara saya utk ngatasi sering-sering di cek pake software reseternya (general tools) utk lihat jumlah printingnya udah berapa halaman, jadi sebelum blinking ya direset software dulu. utk software resetenya yang saya punya ada utk i320, i1000, i1200,ip13000,ip15000,i1600, i1300,i1700, i2000,i2200, ip1880,1100,2500 semuanya ada di blog ini coba aja deh GRATIS , semoga bermanfaat.

link: http://resetprint.blogspot.com

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (4/13/08 4:29 AM) reply + / -
Well, that's real clear!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (5/5/08 2:35 PM) reply + / -
I have done four of these printers already using the reset method as shown above, one i80 and three i90's and also cleaned the ink pads thoroughly and they all work perfectly. Are you sure you have followed the rest procedure step by step because it will unlock the printer head again, otherwise, the printer head will be locked on the right hand side forever.
I think you will see the warning lights, such as the yellow one blinking eight times to one of green which means the ink thing is full and you would have got warnings the the ink reservoir was full about ten or twenty pages before it stops suddenly.
Good luck!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (5/6/08 12:20 PM) reply + / -
Can you refill the ink cartridges for the HP 460?

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Nathan Ashmead (5/25/08 4:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a million I have been to about 10 sites and this is the only one that worked you are awesome.(the printer sucks though).
thanks a bunch.

Nathan

Re: Reset Canon Pixma ip1880 Waste Ink Tank Full by arifab (6/12/08 2:56 AM) reply + / -
mas bisa minta softwarenya buat ngereset IP1880 nggak?
soalnya saya punya kasus "Ink Tank Full"
kalo boleh terima kasih.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (7/11/08 6:10 AM) reply + / -
This worked! I followed these steps one time and the error message is gone and the printer is functioning normally.

Thanks Printx.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (7/24/08 4:51 AM) reply + / -
You saved my life. This direction works for the i90 also.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (7/24/08 11:43 PM) reply + / -
Yup does work for iP90. Here in Thailand, the 1000 is available now. Wonder if it is same.....

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (8/29/08 9:21 AM) reply + / -
The printx solution to reset this worked PERFECTLY. This printer has been around the world and is a little work horse!! Love it

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (9/4/08 8:29 AM) reply + / -
Hi, if someone show me how remove and clean up this canon i80 waste ink pad.. I'll show you how to refill the ink without spent more than you should have (no more than $50 about more than 1500 sheet of paper...)

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (9/4/08 8:32 AM) reply + / -
HOW CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO WORK ON IT. I'M STILL HAVING SOME PROBLEM... THANK YOU.....

Removal of bottom housing by Radon Guy (9/16/08 9:40 AM) reply + / -
Removal of bottom housing. I removed the top but cannot get the bottom off. I bought a replacement well that sits behind the paper feeder and want to replace it since i bought it but cannot get the bottom off.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by ddd888 (12/7/08 7:21 PM) reply + / -
I have canon pixma ip1880 printer and it says waste tank absorber is full every time I print, but only the power button lights flashing (green lights) while the resume button doesnt lights (orange color if it lights)...

i try using the manual resetting but does not work. any one can help me....

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/8/08 9:10 AM) reply + / -
Using MP620 Canon Printer
Ink tank full but light flashing on magenta cartridge and sends message saying it is empty. Does print. Printer New. perhaps 50 photos printed.

GHJ

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by hobch (12/11/08 4:23 AM) reply + / -
I've sorted out my problems with the waste tank full message, but another's cropped up. "i80 error number: D64 The following in tank is not installed. Black Ink Tank. Install the ink tank properly and close the printer front cover." Done all this, changed the ink tank, switched it on and off - but still get this message. Any ideas?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/14/08 3:45 PM) reply + / -
Got Passed the"tray full" error, now the error sayes the tank is not installed. Can anyone share help?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (12/29/08 9:51 AM) reply + / -
Suggested holding buttons worked----until i turned printer on again. How do I find and dissasemble ink tank or do I need a teck repair man or new printer???

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full - and workin by Anonymous (2/6/09 9:33 PM) reply + / -
Tnx for that miraculous advice.
It was working!!!! never tought it.

Onceagain tricks of CANON, to maintain their service department working!

good day over there!!!!

Marc

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by shf100 (2/16/09 2:48 PM) reply + / -
Brilliant! Thank you so much. My i80 does a great job, but don't know how I'd have resolved this one without this forum.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bollox (2/20/09 4:35 AM) reply + / -
I have the full waste tank problem with the iP90. I have tried the reset procedure but, after step 3, the green light does not come on and the problem persists. Can anyone help?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Philip Cheung (2/23/09 3:48 AM) reply + / -
I have attacked quite of a few of i90 using the procedures listed 12/8/05 and have been successful every time. I suggest you keep trying and good luck.
Philip

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bollox (2/23/09 7:56 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for that, I think my problem was that I was trying the process on battery power. Once I powered it from the mains, although this goes via the battery, the procedure worked.
Do you know the procedure for actually cleaning the waste ink tank/s?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (2/23/09 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Hi Bollox,
I am glad you have been able to reset the warning message and also to get the head working again.
I have written previously on 12/1907 and 3/15/08. You really have to remove the front cover of the i90 to get to the pads which sits under the print head on the lower right hand corner. Unfotunately, most of my comments were for the i80 with the i90 having a slightly different procedure.
Have a go and see if you can remove it, the top of the cover is held down by two little lugs and you will have to prive it open after removing all the screws by lifting and pulling the cover towards you near the roller. Let me know and I can take a few shots to send to you if you have more problems.
Philip

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Stomp (3/4/09 2:42 PM) reply + / -
All reasonably modern (read: not prehistoric) Canon inkjets store their waste ink in some kind of absorber. The printer keeps track of how many milliliters of ink has been purged, and throws up an error when the waste pads are 95% full. Printing will stop when the pad is considered 100% full. There is usually quite a bit of leeway at the end, because when these pads become truly saturated with ink they certainly CAN leak. Depending on the model this may result in ink on your desk, or ink gooping up the inside of the printer.

There seems to be some confusion over what's what inside the portable printers (i70, i80, i90, i100). So let me set the record straight:

The waste ink absorber or "drain pack" is the large sealed plastic part that fills much of the rear end of the printer. It's either black or beige and has several vents on the top, through which you can see a fibrous material. That's where the ink ends up, and what can become full. It can be replaced, but there's no realistic way to empty or clean it as it is a sealed unit.

The purge unit (HP folks might call it a service station) is a complex little mechanical assembly that sits under the carriage at the right end of the printer. It has a small rectangular hard plastic pad that collects ink from the printhead during purging, and stays moist to keep the printhead from drying out. This does NOT fill up, and shouldn't be fiddled with unless it's covered with cat hair. Ink that is deposited in the purge unit is transferred into the waste ink absorber.

There are a few other foam strips and sponge pads along the sweep of the carriage that also don't realistically need maintenance, and never "fill up" in my experience.

fwiw, other brands of inkjet have the same issue, they just don't bother to tell you when the service station is full of gummy half-dried ink causing the printer to malfunction. I'm looking at you, HP.

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (4/28/09 7:36 AM) reply + / -
i just got the earor this morning thanks for the reset coad saved me $$.do i need to clean wast tank or not

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (6/18/09 8:33 AM) reply + / -
i have the same problem but when i tried those resetters, everytime i try to reset... the app hangs. both kinds of app so im just gonna try the press - hold thing. thanks for the tip. i shall comment again if it doesnt work.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (6/18/09 1:35 PM) reply + / -
best to clean the pad and reservoir, you will find post many moons ago. Good luck

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (6/18/09 1:44 PM) reply + / -
Hi Stomp,
I pull mine and many others apart and managed to wash the piece of hard porous material completely clean of ink and all of them are still working well, as if they have all had a second life!
Philip

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Binky Bunny (7/11/09 10:16 AM) reply + / -
I am getting the "ink absorber is full" message. I have tried to complete the reset method discribed above with no luck. Do I just buy another printer or have repaired?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Bufotoad (7/11/09 10:38 AM) reply + / -
Anyone know about iP100 tank counter resets?

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (7/11/09 10:45 AM) reply + / -
you have to follow the instructions laid out for re-setting the printer. If it doesn't work, then I'm not sure what is next. Instructions posted in this thread.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (7/11/09 10:48 AM) reply + / -
2nd post to this thread. I used the instructions, and they worked. here:

Hi

Cheers

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Binky Bunny (7/12/09 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Well...after all the trys of going through the reset steps, my printer stopped working. I'm going to see how much to fix it. I'm thinking I need to buy another. Any ideas?

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Dumbelle (7/23/09 8:07 AM) reply + / -
A million thanks to Apostrophe for his detailed instructions! It just saved me c. 100 in repairs and several days without a printer. I was even contemplating buying a new one. But a minute following his instructions and my Canon iP90 was printing again.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by dhogan (8/3/09 10:11 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU!!! PRINTER WORKS GREAT FOR ME IN FIELD - MESSED WITH PRINTER 3 DAYS BEFORE I FOUND YOUR FIX - BACK IN BUSSINESS IN 5 MINUTES - YOUR AWSOME!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by denise ginsburg (8/3/09 12:11 PM) reply + / -
I can't get the middle top cover clip to unclip, and the top cover also james on the right side. I don't want to break anything. Any ideas
Denise

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (8/3/09 3:25 PM) reply + / -
I wrote this last year but here it is
Remove the cover by removing the two top screws on the back of the printer after removing the battery. Undo the two small screws in the front of the printer paper out port, one on the right and the inner one on the left. Then remove the two black clips on either side, the left side is for the USB lead into the printer and the right side is for USB out, then you will see another clip holding the cover on, push the two clips on the back in to release the back part of the cover, then the one clip under the black plate and pull the back open first. There is another plastic clip in the middle of the top cover and this will unclip itself. The front part of the cover is held down by an internal clip on either side and the cover will come off.
I have not done it for over a year, so good luck. It is not that hard to undo from memory.
Philip

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (8/7/09 7:31 PM) reply + / -
Thank you
You saved me from the frustration I have been experiencing the past few weeks.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by abolton89 (8/27/09 2:38 PM) reply + / -
Just want to say thanks to printX at top of page. Resetting my printer worked like a charm! Dunno if i still HAVE to replace the waste ink absorber but guess i'll just see how it goes. Its working now though and that's all that matters to me. Thanks so much!!! (Esp. cuz i was quoted 100+ dollars just to fix this damn thing.)
~Ash

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (9/4/09 8:20 AM) reply + / -
I was about to purchase a new printer.I never use forums, don't have the patience, at my sons' suggestion I went to this forum, I saw your post and decided to try, it worked! I had to do it 5 or 6 times and reload my set up disk but everything so far going great. Thanks

Re: Canon Pixma MP130 Waste Ink Tank Is Full by can you help (9/17/09 9:07 PM) reply + / -
Help my printer is driving me crazy, a message saying waste ink tank is full appears, have tried the suggestions to reset but has not worked. Does any one have anyother suggestions. thanks Annette

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (10/13/09 7:56 PM) reply + / -
TAKE COVER OFF TO EXPOSE MECHANISM
CHECK PLATEN COUPLER GEAR ( ITS ABOUT AN INCH DIAMETER WITH A FERRITE CENTRE) FOR BREAKAGES

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by levyszl (1/18/10 11:28 AM) reply + / -
Popular topic, this waste tank. I followed the procedure described by printx back in 2005. It solved the waste tank issue, but now my printer automatically turns off after about 5 minutes. Any way to make it stay on?

Re: Canon ip90 Waste Ink almost full by Anonymous (2/21/10 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for you help and save some dollares

Re: Reset Canon Pixma ip1880 Waste Ink Tank Full by Anonymous (2/21/10 7:19 PM) reply + / -
printer 1980 punya ku ini masalahnya setap kali udah print keluar printer "the ink ansorber is almost full. press the printer resume to continue printer

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by EMN (4/14/10 5:21 PM) reply + / -
Thank you for posting these instructions ... however, when trying to reset our i860 I managed to get to instruction #4, the LED does not stop blinking, the green light eventually turns to alternate orange and green ...

If I press resume while this is going on, it doesn't make any changes to the lights. If I proceed to press power button, it simply turns off.

Can anyone please help???

Esther.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Daniel12 (5/28/10 6:08 PM) reply + / -
I have the i70...first generation of this model. It has been out of service for a couple of years since the head would not move from the resting position. I have taken off the top and cleaned the small pad area where the head rests and taken off the rubber hose that leads to the black plastic rectangular purge unit on the (facing the printer) right side of the printer near the carriage unit. You can see a cam on the carriage spool that actualtes this purge unit and more than likely does the counting. I would like to get to the sealed tank and possibly clan and reseal. I would not think that would be difficult. I have e-mailed Canon for a replacement resevior with no response.

Such a snaffoo on a good printer. Certainly bad press for Canon.
I have used refill in for years just filling the pads and they have worked very well.

Any comments on accessing that rear resevoir I would accept. Too good of a printer to give up, I say!

I will be back when I am succesful in cleaning and resealing that tank!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (5/29/10 3:09 AM) reply + / -
interesting

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufo d. toad (5/29/10 7:44 AM) reply + / -
re-signing up for posts to this thread; accidentally killed it off.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by wildharejim (7/6/10 9:55 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU!!

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by karlhamm (11/5/10 7:16 AM) reply + / -
Top man thanks

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by queenslander (1/28/11 3:33 PM) reply + / -
what about a canon mp160 where there is no resume/cancel button.
I tried the stop/reset button to no avail.
Help please.
Q

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by sharcm1 (4/1/11 2:35 PM) reply + / -
I have an ip90v with a waste tank almost full and tried the reset above and it doesn't work for me. After I hold the resume/cancel button and power button and release the resume button and press it three times, after I release the power button nothing happens. It just turns off. NO flashing green led. So pressing the resume button 4 more times does nothing cause the power is off. Anyone can help please.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by sharcm1 (4/1/11 2:39 PM) reply + / -
Ok never mind. I figured it out. can some one please tell me how long this lasts for. Does the ink absorber eventually need to be replaced anyway or is that true that there really isn't one.

Re: Ink Absorber full Pixma MP210 by Keptreene Finch (4/27/11 4:55 AM) reply + / -
I have tried the above remedies to fix the ink abosrber full prompt, but to no avail. If there is any one out there who ha fix their printer by using some other method please let me know.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Robin354 (8/19/11 7:04 AM) reply + / -
WOW - on/off, Resume button procedure worked first time! thanks much for the info

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by MeInPV (10/1/11 11:23 AM) reply + / -
Printer worked great for years. Got a the Waste Ink Tank Full message, cleaner the pad as recommended, and tried to reset as described. Now I get error 5100 and amber flashing light after reset sequence (two flashes). Suggestions?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by sjalbany (1/14/12 7:22 PM) reply + / -
Canon iP90v similar issue- we opened the cover and cleaned out the waste ink absorber and surrounding ink puddles. However could not get the printer to 'reset' and the error lights kept blinking. Success was achieved by following the instructions posted 10-18-07 by 'Apostrophe' who was using instructions from someone earlier in the posts. Thank you to all for sharing tips and knowledge....a very big help.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by meinpv (1/14/12 7:54 PM) reply + / -
I just gave up n threw it away. Not worth the frustration.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (1/14/12 8:46 PM) reply + / -
Mine broke. Got an iP1000 - 9600 DPI. very good, but slow. I re-fill tanks, and shut off the notice that the tank is gettig empty.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (1/14/12 8:49 PM) reply + / -
And after about 2-3 years, the material inside the tank fails to contact the nipple in the print head. That's when it's time to buy a new one, and then fill it up again for another 2 years. Sorry Canon, I'm not gonna make you rich. Thanks for pricing the printers low with the aim of gouging us on the ink tanks. There's always a way to thwart avarice.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (1/15/12 12:29 AM) reply + / -
But these i80 and i90 are fairly expensive stuff, from memory, they cost in excess of AUD400 including battery. So I would not say they are cheap. I can pick up a cheap Brother laser printer for 80 bucks which will give me a couple of thousand prints and then throw it out and buy another one instead of a new toner! They are almost light enough to carry them along with you.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (1/15/12 1:10 AM) reply + / -
true. But the portable has its advantages. For more volume, a cheap desktop modern one is preferred. However, I'll not carry it about.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (1/15/12 12:48 PM) reply + / -
Totally agree Toad but this is the price we pay for portability with an ink printer. My friend who has gone through four or five of the i80's and i90's now uses an HP portable. She has not complained yet. I have placed a small laser printer in each place I work and still carry the i80 in the back of my car although I have not cranked it up for more than a year. Hope it works!
Cheers.
Philip

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (1/15/12 8:18 PM) reply + / -
Not familiar with HP; been using Canon always. If the i80 is clogged, take head out and spray dish detergent mixed with warm water on it; rinse under hot tap. dry out. should un-clog it.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by raddar (2/7/12 9:13 AM) reply + / -
Thought of replying straight to you philcheung (frequent and latest poster) hoping you wont mind my help request. Cutting it short: I'm (still) in love with my ever faithful i80 that has been going on for years and around the world. Have gone through a few resets, etc. but now it just wont turn itself on (after turning itself off during a deep cleaning procedure). Have tried a few different AC sources/cables and also replacing the printhead but to no avail. Any lights much appreciated, thanks, Bernardo

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by philcheung (2/7/12 12:03 PM) reply + / -
I am sorry Bernardo, I really have no idea why it is resetting as none of mine has done so as yet.
Good luck.
Philip

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by raddar (2/7/12 1:00 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. Is anyone else able to cast a light on this issue? i80 turned itself off during deep cleaning and it has become impossible to turn it back on...Thanks.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Raggety (2/12/12 5:58 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I've cleaned the print head of my i80, and when installed in printer the LED is green. But when I send to printer the LED flashes orange 6 times. Green (long) Orange (x6 short) Green (long) etc. Is my print head dead or can I try a reset? I've already tried the reset for ink waste tank (the last press of the power button nothing happens, another press and it turns off) but this doesn't work. Help! Help!

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by bufotoad (2/12/12 11:24 AM) reply + / -
I'm at a loss.....

Re: Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Raggety (2/13/12 3:11 AM) reply + / -
Ok, I've now found out that my error message of 6 orange flashes means that the printhead isn't installed. But I can confirm, hand on heart, that it is there in the machine with new ink cartridges (canon). I've taken it out and cleaned it, a dozen times, re-installed the driver. But no, it still tells me it's not there. I've reinitialised the ROM, but it's still not there. I've prayed, but it's still not there. A new printhead is 90Euros, a secondhand Canon ip100 is 100Euros. If anyone wants my i80 please make an offer, and you pay P&P.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by jonton (edited 12/17/12 9:11 AM) reply + / -
A brief and comprehensive discussion on error 5100 is here
http://printerspecial.blogspot.com

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Raggety (edited 2/22/12 12:41 AM) reply + / -
This I will try, merci. I'll let you know if it works.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Raggety (2/21/12 2:10 PM) reply + / -
Nope, it didn't work. It's now for sale and I've bought the Canon ip100.
Thanks for helping.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Raggety (2/22/12 12:38 AM) reply + / -
Nope, it didn't work. It's now for sale and I've bought the Canon ip100.
Thanks for helping.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by lucyinthesky (5/9/12 5:35 AM) reply + / -
Brilliant - thanks so much for solving the problem

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by jimbrac (7/14/12 6:08 PM) reply + / -
We've had our i80 forever and were completely stumped by the error message. The instructions posted here worked perfectly. Thanks!! All fixed.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by terra (12/8/12 1:55 AM) reply + / -
nearing the "end" of the reset procedure, where the R/C Resume/Cancel is pressed 4 times to reset, the info below is for those who push it more or less times, or those who want more specific information.

if instead the R/C Resume/Cancel is only pressed once = service test print

,R/Cpressed twice = EEPROM print information,

R/Cthree times= EEPROM initialization,

R/Cfour times = WASTE INK COUNTER RESETTING,

R/CFive times= Destination[country settings],

R/Csix times =usb serial number reset ,

R/Cseven times= usb serial number default

R/C,8 times=NOT used in servicing 9 times=NOT used in servicing

R/C10 times= return to menu.

If you do EEPROM PRINT , the sixth item in the list, will show how many pages printed since manufacture, the last line shows printed pages in category of type, i. e PP plain paper BP borderless CARD =Postcard etc.

there is a manual out there , bit torrent required.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by terra (12/8/12 2:29 AM) reply + / -
POWER LAMP BLINKING ORANGE 9 TIMES? or ERROR MESSAGE on computer error message says "the following ink tank was not installed Color" (The ink tank is not installed error) this can be the micro switch under the color tank or the one under black ink microswitch, or corroded contacts on thin flex cable 'out of sight under' print carriage,
remove print head and cartridges ,with multimeter test continuity between colour cartridge microswitch contacts [4 contacts] test with microswitch open[up] and closed [down--should have continuity] between the micrositches & the stainless clips on the side or top of the carriage. [the stainless clip- barely visible-at the bottom front of cartridge has contacts and bridges the cable----caustic aftermarket ink can corrode these flex cable contacts.[by design?]and if your lucky it could be too much ink and just needs cleaning[ very surprising how much ink behind the clips. a bridging wire may be installed , bridging the bottom front/ bottom side/ front top stainless clips-completing the circuit.

the printer carriage flex cable is 'permanently' joined to carriage ,replacement prob not economical, but if you have a spare ,why not :)

error codes
orange 2 times[carriage error]= ink slash protector is dislocated [ which is bedded at the right hand side where the print carriage/ cartridge parks when printer goes shut off mode.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Poppasan (1/9/13 4:58 PM) reply + / -
Hi all, I did the waste ink tank reset, got rid of the error code, now as before the printer goes through the motions of printing but no print out. Any clues?

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by terra (1/9/13 10:06 PM) reply + / -
Re Poppasan, "Hi all, I did the waste ink tank reset, got rid of the error code, now as before the printer goes through the motions of printing but no print out. Any clues?"

Hi,without physically seeing the unit? (i.e canon i80?)
firstly im assuming there are there no error notices popping up now...

if no,
Sounds like the print head is dry,
1)**IF** you have spare color & black cartridges, try the spare cartridges i.e insert them and again attempt to print

,****IF NO spare cartridges**** you can either go into the printer maintenance section and select, "Clean print head", or "deep clean print head" **PLEASE NOTE,"CLEAN" AND "DEEP CLEAN" USES ALOT OF INK FROM THE CARTRIDGES TO DISSOLVE BUILT UP INK DEPOSITS....***if you dont want to use up whatever ink is potentially available..you can do one of two things

*one, remove cartridges, turn cartridges upside down, put a tiny amount of warm water 10-15 drops per hole in the bottom of the cartridges (there are 3 holes in the color and one hole in the Black, NOTE putting water in cartridges can rehydrate the cartridge if the printer has been dormant and the cartridge ink has evaporated.NOW PUT CARTRIDGES BACK IN AND attempt to print,

no go? now use clean or deep clean method in maintenance section- (supplied with Canon i80 /iP90 software cd program)

*two,manually clean the print head as follows.
get a plastic dish(about the size of a plastic chinese takeaway container, 8inch x 5inch x 1 inch depth, get an absorbent paper towel LINE/PLACE the towel into the bottom of the "chinese takeaway" tray/container ,if no towels available -dont worry-you just have to soak longer as the towel acts as a sponge :)- get WARM water**if its too hot to put your fingers in its too hot ,warm water activates the ink and makes it flow/run/ NOT TOO HOT-NEVER HOT** pour WARM water into container to a level of 10 millimeters i.e 1/3 of an inch, get print head, remove cartridges,place PRINT HEAD into the 10 millimeter shallow water in the tray-orientation- same way up as it is when in your printer,, you may notice ink bleeding out the bottom,leave it to soak for ten minutes, you can accelerate this process by physically lifting the printhead in and out of the water for 5 minutes( thats 300 seconds). the phenomenon or end result you want to see to indicate you have fluid flowing in the printhead is a bubble of fluid protuding from the print heads holes(you can see these holes/circles when looking down into where the cartridges are located/slot when the cartridges are removed( note it is a good sign when you remove the cartridges to see a moist/wet print head, it sometimes takes a couple of manual cleans.using new warm water each clean.

ive had success using all above methods with multiple canon i80s/iP90s etc.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Poppasan (1/10/13 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Terra, I will give it a go. Funny, it was printing ok until the waste ink tank error.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by terra (1/10/13 4:50 PM) reply + / -
hi Poppasan, so when you say "it was printing ok, until the ink tank error

wondering how many days ago did the error occur? if the print cartridges were removed & left out? i doubt much ink would have evaporated in a couple of days, if its been dormant for a couple of months then ink dehydration/evaporation drying would usually occur.

without further details/information of what/where/when its difficult to calculate what else it could be.

Re: Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Poppasan (1/10/13 5:56 PM) reply + / -
Hi Terra, Yes it was fine until the error message, followed the reset instructions, reset the waste ink tank full, error codes vanished and so has the actual print. The print head sounds as if it is doing it's thing but nothing. I even put a new black tank in still nothing. It will not produce a test print. I did all this over the course of the last couple of weeks.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by terra (1/10/13 7:27 PM) reply + / -
ok Poppasan, thanks for the detail,not sure what it is.is it an i70 i80 iP90?

one thing id check , is your print head properly located in the carriage? if it is not or if the connection is dirty this possibly cause what is occurring?

when you did the reset, did it go smoothly in one action, or was it done multiple times with unexpected events?

NOTE:
despite reports of NO INK TANK existing?, for the benefit of "ALL CONCERNED OR DOUBTFUL", after dismantling many i80, iP90s THERE IS A WASTE INK TANK!, the waste ink tank occupies 1/4 the size of the printer, it has a dense sponge block in it, i mention this as im unsure what occurs if the tank is "full" but the error is reset.the tank has vent holes which allow the ink moisture to evaporate and the ink dry particles remain, it is possible to flush out the tank of ink particles, but this procedure requires dismantling the printer and is an advanced procedure.a lesser effective alternative could be to let the tank dry out in a warm dry space.

Re: Canon i80 Waste Ink Tank Full by Poppasan (1/11/13 12:42 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your help terra, tomorrow I will have a bit of quiet time, so might be a good chance to have a real go at it. It is an i80.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters