fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson Color Stylus 740

Post a new message thread

Epson Color Stylus 740 by Kerri (1/24/02 2:45 PM) +1 + / -
My Epson 740 will not print black ink! Color prints fine, but the printer hums away as if its printing, but only outputs a blank page. I've looked through your message boards for an answer, but am unsure whether its a clogged or fried print head or another problem. I recently replaced black ink cartridge, and this problem showed up shortly after. I used Epson's program to clean the print head and used their diagnostic tests, but still no black ink prints. Its crippling me. What should I do?
Thank you for your reply.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by LEO (1/26/02 6:45 PM) + / -
KERI, I HAVE A EPSON 740 AND HAVE BEEN REFILLING THE CARTRIDGES FOR A YEAR NOW. THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN THINK OF THAT IS CAUSING YOUR PROBLEM WITH THE BLACK IS IF YOU DIDN`T REPLACE THE CARTRIDGE WHEN THE LIGHT WENT ON SHOWING EMPTY. IF YOU KEPT PRINTING AFTER THAT THE PRINT HEADS DONT GET COOLED BY THE INK AND THEY GET HOT AND WILL BE BURNED OUT AND WILL NOT WORK NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.
TRY A FEW MORE CLEANINGS, CLEAN ONCE, THEN PRINT SOMETHING . DO IT 3 TIMES. THEN RUN THE TEST. WHEN YOU PRINT SET IT UP FOR PHOTO PAPER AND BLACK.
IF NOTHING PRINTS, THE HEAD IS GONE.
IS THAT NEW CARTRIDGE A GENUINE EPSON ?
GOOD LUCK.
LEO

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Richard (1/27/02 10:41 AM) +1 + / -
I have the same problem as Keri, except that neither cartrige will print. Have run all the tests several times including the isolated print test.Can I replace the print head? And where is it? Thank you, Richard.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Kerri (1/29/02 5:04 PM) + / -
Leo,
Thanks for your reply. I may have waited too long to change the cartridge now that you mention it. I have already cleaned several times with no luck. Do you know if there's some kind of solvent or something I can use, or is the print head simply burned out? And no, the replacement cartridge wasn't an authentic Epson. I changed cartridges a couple times before in the past year with no problem. I always thought the push to buy genuine Epson replacements was so the company could make more money. Now I'm thinking twice.

Thanks again,

Kerri

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Dan (1/29/02 6:50 PM) + / -
I have the same problem as Richard. Neither cartridge will work. I have replaced both black/color ink cartridges - no help. Ran all of the diagnostic tests with no results. Went to Epson's homepage and the Troubleshooting link is gone. I did download 2 new drivers - SM7420DE.exe and SC7445CD.exe, but haven't run yet.
I'm still on Win98.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Carol J. Culp (2/6/02 2:47 PM) + / -
I am fed up with Epson. My first printer kept jamming and then something broke freezing the head. I found out they have NO free repair number EVEN for under warranty. I spent 15 minutes long distance only to be told I had to box the thing up and send it to them and wait for a replacement.
After threatening to blacklist them all over the internet, they agreed to exchange locally. The newer one developed a problem with first the yellow not working, then after replacing the cartridge twice and cleaning it numerous times, nothing printed. It was less than 3 weeks after I got it, but they said my warranty time had expired because they did not extend with the new unit. So I gave it to the Goodwill.
I will NEVER own another Epson, just because of their crappy attitude and lack of concern for customers.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Peter (3/2/02 9:21 AM) + / -
Sorry !!!

My Epson Stylus 760: ink cartridges seems full but nothing is print.
cleanning more and more, changing cartridges...re-cleanning and all times white paper.
Grrrr!! After 1.5 year and no more then 100 Print I found that a bit hot...

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Al (3/2/02 11:45 AM) + / -
Carriage stalls and chatters in its start positionand all activity quits except all lights on.Epson supp. gave fix routine but no difference noted

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Betty (3/2/02 1:34 PM) + / -
I'm in the same dilemma as Kerri wrote about on 1/24/02--new black ink cartridge, nothing prints. Checked it all out with cleaning and testing, still nothing. Color prints OK. So what's my next step? I'm not in a position to take my printer somewhere easily. Should I toss the printer? Or what? I'm no computer-freak, just a "grandma" who does lots of writing. . . . . .Betty

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Brian (3/3/02 10:06 PM) + / -

I will never buy another Epson...period. Piece of crap stopped printing black during the first cartridge. Their user support is nonexistent.
We use HP's at work and print around 500 sheets every 24 hours. They just keep going and going.
Epson=JUNK!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Betty (3/4/02 12:25 PM) + / -
Brian--thanks for your response. I was already thinking of getting a new printer--and now I prob'ly won't get an Epson. Betty

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by freddie (3/4/02 2:43 PM) + / -
I have a 740 right here and have had the same problem from time to time. Asked a rep at a computer store and was told the following.
1.get the cartridge to slide over by pressing the
paper button for a few seconds, then gently slide it out of the way. Look inside for a 2 small pads.
one is color,one is black.you may need a flashlight to locate it.
Boil some water and using an eyedropper or straw gently put a few drops on that pad.dont push the pad. let it set for a while.then try the cleaning cycle.you may need to let it set overnight.
Another tip,shut off the printer when you arent using it.
I am currently running 3 epsons 1 740 and 2 880
Its very frustrating, but have patience.It will come back.If this doesnt work I have another idea

Re: Epson Color Stylus 640 by Michael Lerma (3/4/02 7:40 PM) + / -
my printer will not print out the ink. the paper gose through but it will not spit out the ink.
if you could send me some things that may be wrong with it and instructions how to do it.
thank you
Michael Lerma

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Peter (3/5/02 4:03 AM) +1 + / -
Hello all, i have found that, and will try it:

"Well folks, I have spent a fair amount of time speaking with an Epson service center.

Here are the results:

The Epson print heads are fragile, and can be damaged by either using alcohol to clean or by forcing cleaning solution thru the head from the ink-cart side.

If the head is not printing due to a long period of in-activity, then use a mild soap solution to moisten the capping pad, where the head rests.
(You will have to remove power from the printer while the carriage is away from it's home position so you can soak the pad.)

Let the head soak for 24 hrs, then perform a couple of cleaning cycles.

In addition, you can drip the cleaning solution into the ports where the ink-cart feeds the heads.
Do NOT force fluid with a plunger or use compressed air, as this will certainly damage the heads.

Head replacement is possible, but it is expensive and requires special software to align.
Hope this helps!"

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by William (3/5/02 7:01 AM) + / -
Same as above. Paper goes through. New ink cartridges. No ink appears on the paper.

I guess the print head is fried. Just out of warranty too.

I've found it a very temperamental machine I must say.

Is it worth replacing the print head or shall I junk it?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rick Hamilton (3/5/02 9:45 AM) + / -
As a last ditch, try cleaning it this way:

http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/tips/cleaning/Image01.html

Although, I'm not crazy about wd-40 near plastic, I think a silicon oil would be better.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rick Hamilton (3/5/02 9:45 AM) +1 + / -
As a last ditch, try cleaning it this way:

http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/tips/cleaning/Image01.html

Although, I'm not crazy about wd-40 near plastic, I think a silicon oil would be better.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Kerri (3/8/02 1:27 PM) + / -
Thank you Freddie, Peter, and Rick for your advice. Looks like I'm not alone with my printer problem. Will try to revive using your techniques this weekend. If all fails, I'll be getting a new printer like Betty, and it won't be an Epson.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by John E Harkins (3/10/02 12:17 PM) -1 + / -
Hi, folks!

I have an Epson 640 and a 740 that are both "dead."

The 640 just doesn't print after I tried to clean it using the Windex solution. Also blew compressed air into the cartridge holder... which may have done it in.

The 740 came from an e-Bay auction wherein the seller declard that "it worked for him" and so he sent it to me. Alas, both cartridge lights are lit solidly, along with the power on. No amount of tom-foolery seems to allow the printer to go into the cleaning cycle. The Epson status monitor (running on Win/98) tells me that the cartridge(s) need to be replaced. Did that... and even tried the approach of taking out the cartridges, letting the printer think it was out of ink and then reinstalling. All to no avail.

Hope someone else has more ideas than I do.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Betty Fairchild (3/10/02 3:10 PM) + / -
Thanks, all you kind people! My printer is almost working right (thanks to some prayer work!) but it doesn't seem to be a matter of cartridge behavior, but of "crooked printing"--which it had started to do before it stopped printing. . . . . I have appreciated your responses--and also, knowing that I am not alone in Epson challenges! Bye now. Betty

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Daryl (3/11/02 6:14 AM) +1 + / -
Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 (AL)

We had the same problem with three 740i's and one 740 (carriage stalls and chatters in its start position, then all activity quits with all lights on). Epson emailed me a reset fix, but that did not help. Since our printers were out of warranty, I decided to look inside. On the printer motherboard I found a CR2032, 3V battery. I replaced it, reset the printer and set the printer out for a week of light testing. So far the problem has not returned. I will try this fix on the other printers and see how it works.

I hope this helps!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by William (3/11/02 7:07 AM) + / -
Just followed the instructions posted by Rick Hamilton (http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/tips/cleaning/Image01.html)
Amazingly I now have a functioning Epson printer.

These were print heads Epson support had told me were "dead".

thanks Rick.

William

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Shirli (3/14/02 6:08 AM) + / -
The computer keeps saying the printer has to be online to print. It is online, wo what's the problem. It just won't print.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rick Hamilton (3/15/02 1:19 PM) +1 + / -
I can't remember for sure, but doesn't the 740 have a usb connection as well as a parallel port connection? Make sure you have the right connection checked. My 980 did the same thing to me. Seems to me there are several places you have to checkmark the type of connection you want.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by janice (4/3/02 9:25 AM) + / -
my 740 will not print, it is out of color ink, but the black is new. My son said it should print just with the black. I keep getting a message to check printer cable, etc. Does anyone know, do both cartridges need to be full to print? At this point I don't want to spend money if the thing is broken. I have only had for 14 months and my son hates it since it jams paper all the time.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Betty (4/3/02 1:17 PM) + / -
Janice--My Epson booklet tells me that the printer won't work if both cartridges are not full (or working). check it out.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Spider (4/7/02 7:37 AM) + / -
Help !!!!
My epson 740 needs to be cleaned 3 times before
it can print put a slighty decent output.

The next day if I want to print again, clean another 3 times.

I am wasting a lot of ink. stupid epson 740.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Fred R. (4/7/02 9:45 AM) + / -
I have bought 3 Epson printers in the last 3 years.
All are out of service due to print and error code problems.
I am very dissappointed to say the least.
I'm way done with Epson as the units seem to get into problems I can't straighten out just past warranty period.
I hate to throw them out but shipping and factory repair easily would exceed purchase prices.
I bought a Lexmark Z43 at Staples.
Keeping my fingures crossed!
Fred R.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Carol J. Culp (4/7/02 1:54 PM) + / -
After replacing 2 Epsons with a Lexmark, I found the cartidges to be outrageous and Lexmark uses more ink. I replaced the whole lot of them with a Canon S450 think tank with seperate color cartridges and I am in printer heaven. Those of you who want to continue getting ink all over yourself cleaning and babying your Epsons have my sympathy.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Mike (4/7/02 2:25 PM) + / -
I bought an Epson 600 new some years back. Because I left it unplugged and unused for long periods of time I had similar problems with it. I finally bought a 760 two or 3 years back. I keep it plugged in all the time, and print something through it, if nothing else a test page, atleast a couple of times a month. It's still printing as good as the day I bought it. I think Epsons are good printers but they need to be left plugged in to the power outlet all the time, and used atleast once every couple of weeks to maintain them, probably no different from any other ink jet.

Mike

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by SHIRLI (4/12/02 3:57 PM) +1 + / -
Don't send me any more replies because I don't have an Epson Stylus 740, I have an Epsom
stylus 750.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Peter (4/20/02 9:44 AM) + / -
Okay, I think I've burned out my black ink cartridge. I've tried alcohol (on the printer, too). Is there any way that I myself can replace it? Is it worth it?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Shirli (4/23/02 6:04 AM) + / -
My printer goes through the motion of printing but the
page is blank. I am not out of ink. I have both
color and black ink. Some of the time it will print EJ:1284.4
or other nonsense. Please let me know what to do. I am not
I have been using the printer for 21/2 years and this is the first trouble that I have had.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 777 by Cheryl (8/7/02 7:18 PM) +1 + / -
Printer won't print

I had to dump all installation when my computer froze up, apparently a virus? I started over and loaded operating system windows me/drivers and printer disk.

My printer goes through the motion of working but won't print black, the color looks great. My new black ink cartridge is going through more ink without printing than it did when it printed. I have done all the recommended procedures and can't get it to print.

Anyone have any new ideas?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rick (8/8/02 12:10 AM) + / -
Cheryl,

When you say your black cart is going through more ink, do you mean the status monitor is showing you the ink level going down, or is there ink coming out of the black cart without going on the paper? If it's the former, that is normal. It probably means that you have an ink clog. Do two cleanings, print a block of black, check that the cartridge is seated properly and that the clear film on the bottom of the ink cart has been pierced.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Val (9/6/02 7:50 PM) +1 + / -
My 3 year old Epson Stylus 740 recently quit on me. I got all flashing red lights after it went thru its startup cycle. Contacted Epson who suggested a fix; it didn't work; they told me to have it repaired. Said it was a "Carriage Error".

Does anyone know of a way I can fix this myself?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rosie (9/19/02 9:22 PM) + / -
In the middle of attempting to perform the fluid cleaning ritual as outlined here on a 740. Crossing my fingers. The printer previously gave me probably about a year or two of trouble-free service - I printed mostly in black - until color printing started getting wonky. Now it prints nothing but blank pages. If the cleaning works? I plan to sell the cursed thing - with full disclosure of course - on Ebay.

The best solution to the ink jet printing problem? Get a laser. It will satisfy 95% of your printing needs anyway without the troubles inkjets give you. It's also cheaper per page. If you want to print something in color- like photographs? Use a service like Ofoto on the web - you'll get excellent quality at decent prices and never have to worry about color printing headaches. Or buy a scanner - I got mine for $20 - save your pictures to disk - then go to the printshop or one of those photo kiosks at Walmart and have those guys print out your pics. I know...I know...it's not as neat-o as printing out your own...but your alternative is to pay BIG bucks for ink cartridges, photo paper, and the price of a new printer when it eventually dies. Besides that..don't you already have shoeboxes full of photos you haven't albumized yet anyway?

I picked up an HP Laserjet 5L dirt cheap at auction years ago and after replacing the roller pad through a kit at this website it's been trouble free and a painless printer. I doubt I'll buy another inkjet again for home and have asked that my boss mandate the same for our printers at school where I work. All our HP inkjets have been nothing but maintenance and expense nightmares for me! The laserjets - on the other hand - have been virtually trouble free.

WONDERFUL Epson Stylus 740 by Betty Hills (10/13/02 6:54 PM) + / -
YES! You CAN get a 740 repaired relatively inexpensively!

After trying the suggestions above to clean and unclog my machine, I called for the local factory authorized repair place, and was given Microcare in Rockville MD at 301-294-5350. It is $35 for them to open the hood. Another $35 IF they solve the problem.

For $70 I will be jumping cartwheels of glee if my Epson Stylus 740 gets fixed. The color of the 740 is fantastic, superb for an artist. The images match my monitor proofs perfectly.

I found nothing on the market to replace it. The Epson C80 I bought, hoping for comparable color, stinks! Anyone thinking of purchasing the C80 should read this at:
www.inkjetart.com/c80/better_blacks.html
Unfortunately, I found it post-purchase and am stuck with the lemon.

Back to the 740. Epson outdid itself with this wonderful machine. I found that perfect color resulted in using the advanced setting, SLOW speed, ICM, either glossy or heavy weight matte paper setting, and 1440 ppi for image files produced as low as 72 ppi. For the 740, higher resolution files are unnecessary. What a dream machine! I was horrified to find out that it is no longer being made. If I had my way, I would keep purchasing them when they wore out until they plant me.

Before giving up, at least call for a repair estimate. You will never find better color.

Betty in DC

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by John Davey (10/17/02 11:05 AM) + / -
Epson Stylus Color 740
Epson printers have to be maintained regularly for best results. I clean and lube printhead travel bar once a year, also clean the printheads
and parking cap after two or three cartridge replacements. I have two Epson printers with very little problems.

John, Washinton State.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Scott R. Stimson (11/2/02 12:06 AM) +2 + / -
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

My Epson 740 (three years old) it has come back to life after three days of struggle, and torture.

Problem:
Color and B+W stopped printing (dead, nothing, nada!!!). Head clean/check fixed nothing, after about 200 times I stopped trying. Also, changed cartridges.

Solution:
A durable paper-towel (you don't want a paper-towel that falls part easy) soaked with WATER, and left under the print heads in their resting position over-night.

Procedure:
1. Press and hold paper-advance-button until print head moves to the left.
2. Un-plug printer from electricity.
3. Move print head further to the left.
4. Fold-up paper-towel into a small sponge-like square, and soak it with water.
5. Place the wet paper-towel square on top of the print heads’ resting plate. Press GENTLY down on the resting plate. It should lock down in an angle.
6. Move print heads back over to resting position.
7. Let sit for a day.

8. NEXT DAY: move print heads to the left, and remove paper-towel square.
9. Move print heads back to their resting position.
10. Plug in printer to electricity.
11. Run clean/check a couple of times.

This fixed it. Again thanks to everyone for great ideas.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by shirli (11/2/02 2:55 PM) + / -
I don't need anymore help, thank you. My printer works fine.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Val (11/2/02 8:31 PM) + / -
So does mine, Shirli, but don't expect them to take you off this list. You have to do that yourself.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by ESther Ricketts (11/3/02 5:48 AM) + / -
This is the third printer I have had. Epson has replaced them graciously and I think this one is also under warranty yet.
It shows a red light and tells me to unjam the paper-- this is not the problem.
The problem: pictures were only red and black. Then it only printed with red ink. I changed the black ink cartridge, now it still tells me to unjam the paper and The cartridges move back and forth. Where can I take the printer to be repaired 0r what number can i call to get some help, I do not remember who I called before. Thank you Esther

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by tech man (11/9/02 2:15 PM) +1 + / -
Hey tech-man, I think the people posting messages here are educating themselves because that's what this forum is for. If this site is too stupid for you then what are doing here? What's your point? Do you just scan these forums to see who you can dump on?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Bill (11/11/02 8:36 PM) + / -
Tech-man,
I see many Epson printers come into our shop. Most
(8 out of 10) have print head problems. Some problems created by the end user, but most because of inferior quality.
This forum has alot of techs chiming in with suggestions, and realife experiences. but to tell people they are too stupid to operate a printer just doesn't get it.
It's not hurting anything for people to communicate their problems, and try to get resolution. It makes people feel that much better if they can do it themselves, without calling a tech to fix it. I think they are educating themselves by reading and posting here. I learn something new almost everytime I am in the forum.
Take care calling someone stupid,
They just might be a future customer, or better still you might be one of theirs.

Cheers

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by tech man (11/16/02 3:19 PM) + / -
bill & eddie ( 2 kills with one stone )

thanks for your comments. I never meant to hurt anyone's feeling on this forum. My suggestion was that people should take a class and learn how to oparate things that they are not familiar with. Because in the long run it will benefit both the person and the product. Beleive me i have worked in technical support for epson and hp and people dont seem to change they buy things they know nothing about. I could could only feel pitty for them because they are the ones that get ripped off.

And about calling people stupid well i guess i should be more lenient to people but it just irritates me when people blame it on the product and not on themselves. Have some guts and say damn I messed up and i dont really know what the hell I'm doing. And when people bitch about tech support that get's me boiling , you should consider those people working on the front lines at epson and hp they go thru hell and people dont even appreciate it. If everyone did research and educated themselves i bet you we would not have people mad at these companies.

As for you two fellaz, well i thank you for your comments remember that i dont try to put people down i just try to make them aware of what they are doing. I know that deep inside your mind you agree with me . So take care of your customer by educating them . Even the ones that are too hard headed to listen.

cheers

Epson Stylus Color 777 not printering by Bert (11/20/02 6:05 AM) + / -
I have replace my inks with new ones, but my printer has its cartridge light on, it is red.

My printer software does not see my new inks that i have installed.

I am so mad, I need help now!!!!

I am in West Africa and there is now Epson printer support here.

Can someone help me!!!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anne (11/20/02 11:41 AM) + / -
I am very impressed with the repair kit for my apple laserwriter pro & am wondering about their kit to declog the Epson inkjet heads (tho' I may try the water soaking tip first) -

The problem: a not-Epson cartridge was possibly leaking a little before recent installation & then printed without cyan. So then I ran several cleaning cycles and now it is completely not prinitng yellow & magenta!!

I think I have to find another way than the printer cycles to clean the print heads & I am wondering if anyone has used the fixyourownprinter.com inkjet head cleaning kit & what kind of results did you get?

Thanks to all writers for the tips I gleaned so far

SC 740 prints only thick black stripes by tech man (11/20/02 12:17 PM) + / -
I have been using my SC 740 during two years without any problem (wonderful machine!). Yesterday I changed both cartridges and after 6 pages printed, the printer started to print black and thick (0.8 in) stripes in the lines where the text should be.
I have tried reseting the internal ROM, following helpful comments found in this forum but nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
Kind regards

SC 740 prints only thick black stripes by Luis F. (11/23/02 11:38 AM) +1 + / -
I have been using my SC 740 during two years without any problem (wonderful machine!). Yesterday I changed both cartridges and after 6 pages printed, the printer started to print black and thick (0.8 in) stripes in the lines where the text should be.
I have tried reseting the internal ROM, following helpful comments found in this forum but nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
Kind regards

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by gleason (11/28/02 6:09 AM) + / -
all the above happened to my color stylus 640:
is the person that left message 3/5/02 (peter) still checking the board? His message might help, haven't tried it yet but I wanted to replace the heads and all shops said it was to expensive.. so every few years you have to buy another printer?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Myron (12/1/02 11:23 AM) + / -
Probably late, but just found this board.. My experience was first buying the 740 printer as a gift, finding out it jammed constantly, getting it replaced at the store, then the newer one jammed occasionally, but my wife (then girlfriend) never told me it was acting up. Almost a year later we were married and I found the printer jamming constantly. Epson replaced it under warranty and the newer one made growling noises but printed fine. I called them back, and they didn't want to replace it again because it was now over a year, and I insisted that they had to at least warranty a replacement for another 90 days. They replaced it, and that one worked OK, except after trying to print greeting cards a few months later, I found it was off center by quite a bit (and not adjustable). "Too bad, no longer under warranty"! Of course, then I also started having print head problems all under a life of two years. I now have an HP 1218, and will never own an Epson, ever again. "So it is written, so it shall be...."

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by John Harkins (12/1/02 12:26 PM) + / -
Hi!

My experience with Epson printers is a mostly love- & rarely hate-filled affair. That said, has anyone seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? First of all, it is a truly funny movie; but secondly, the father's solution to all problems with Windex was written with Epson printers in mind.

I've had/have a 600, 640, 740, and 900. I refill with bulk-purchased ink and have had clogged heads from time to time. Windex sprayed on paper and/or drizzled onto the area that connects the ink tank to the carrier mechanism for the heads and then sopped up, seems to have done wonders. I consider this to be an extreme measure, so I usually clear out clogged heads by running multiple cleaning cycles.

Based on the amount of ink I've used, I venture to say that I've printed 30,000 pages on my 900 alone (it's fast enough that printing speed lets me handle some tough jobs). I like the versatility of the unit, its overall reliability, and very, very low cost per page for printing. My HP 4000 that purportedly prints 17 ppm has problems with envelopes, despite my purchasing a very expensive envelope feeder. The Epson is faster per envelope and handles thicker stock well.

I will say that it is frustrating trying to clean a clogged head, but it gets easier over time. The biggest enemy of my Epsons seems to be infrequent usage or operation in a dry environment.

All the best,

John

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by David (12/5/02 12:23 AM) + / -
I have a question: My 740 stopped printing black ink, and I've run a few dozen printhead cleaning cycles with no success. I pulled out the black cartridge and the color cartridge, and the little nozzle that plugs into the ink cartridge is different on the black, compared to the color.

I think the nozzle that's supposed to stick into the black cartridge broke off inside my last black cartridge.

Can somebody check their 740 and tell me if the nozzle that pokes into the black cartridge looks the same as the one that goes into the color?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Paul (12/9/02 12:28 PM) + / -
Interesting site. I have had my 740 for years with no insurmountable problems til now. Without warning, on attempting to print , the heads bashed back and forth and stopped with flashing power and paper lights and solid ink lights (user guide says carriage jam, remove paper and reset). There is no paper in or obstructions. Power off/ on produces lots of banging, sometimes drive slip and always the same lights. I noted the early posting re on board battery so will try this but meantimes would be grateful for any other ideas.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Tom (12/10/02 2:38 PM) +1 + / -
Paul, I have had the exact same problem with my 740 for the past two weeks, and for me it also follows years of trouble-free service. I read the posting regarding the battery and intend to follow up on that, also. But I was playing around with it just now and I moved the paper thickness lever from + to 0 and low and behold, I was able to power it on and print normally (except that I had to go through a cleaning cycle, I assume because I had printed nothing for two weeks). Then I switched the lever back to + and powered off and on and everything is back to normal. It's like moving the lever jarred (or released) something and no more banging, drive slipping, or flashing lights. BTW, I'm still going to replace that battery, as I know it's not been done since the printer was new, about 4 years ago.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Barry (12/11/02 12:02 PM) + / -
Our Stylus 740 Color is 4 years old. It's been great apart from some cursing a year ago when I upgraded to XP and found Epson were not updating the software. However it worked fine with the default XP drivers. We just bought cleaning cartridges and a batch of compatibles mail order. Sods law applied and the printer locked up- carriage error. The suggestions in the book didn't work. Found this site and considered the battery suggestion but couldn't work out where to insert the jemmy to remove the case. I tried the paper thickness lever moving it to zero. Immediately the carriage whizzed around and then printed a sheet. I put the lever back to 1 and printed another. Maybe the printer will expire shortly but its working now. We've certainly had good use out of it and I would give Epson careful consideration when choosing the replacement.

reset epson chips by ezequiel (12/12/02 8:46 PM) +2 + / -
download a full version for free from
http://ezequiel14.tripod.com.co/inklevel/

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (12/12/02 9:56 PM) + / -
I will be getting a new PC with Windows XP shortly. Its good to know my Epson 740 will run on it! And now that I have two of them I can leave one with my IMAC and the other with the PC.
I take it all I have to do is just install the software and it should be a 'go'?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Lorraine (12/13/02 3:05 PM) + / -
Hi John Harkins,

A friend of mine, wants to know if anyone here, using an Epson 740 printer, tried to print customized envelopes? Have no problems with a business envelope, but there seems no way, other than attaching to a regular sheet of paper, to print smaller envelopes.

John, I see you had to buy, an envelope feeder, was it for business, or for any size?

Thank you, Lorraine

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by John Harkins (12/13/02 6:33 PM) + / -
Hi, Lorraine!

I bought the $175 envelope feeder for the HP 4000, not the Epson 740.

My daughter now has the 740 at school and I use a 900 here. The 900 can handle any envelopes I throw at it (assuming they're not too large or small, of course). I use Word to create the envelopes and everything seems to be OK. There's nothing on the 900 that prevents you from using an envelope instead of a piece of paper. The 740, however, may have difficulty if the envelope ("paper") is not long enough. I'd suggest playing around with Word and the 740.

Regards,

John

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Lorraine (12/13/02 8:52 PM) + / -
Thanks John,

I will relay the message, Not sure this will help him, even if it doesn't, there is a lot of information on the Epson 740, in this post. I will ask him to check it out.

This is a pretty neat forum for Printers.

Thanks again, Lorraine

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Sari (12/16/02 5:47 PM) + / -
I have a 740i printer at work. It was working fine until I just replaced both the black and the color ink cartridges. For a few minutes, it printed black. Color will not work. Now the screen says no printing due to error #43. Does anyone know what that is? I don't have a manual.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Paul (12/17/02 1:22 AM) +1 + / -
Further to my last post, my printer is alive again. I did the battery change and all the crashing and other ill mannered behaviour has gone, along with the return of beautiful printing.
For anyone with a 740 giving you hassles and especially banging heads and chattering drive slip, I would recommend doing this first.

The battery is a CR2032 and can be accessed by:
Disconnect printer from power & computer;
unscrew 2 screws (recessed) at rear, both sides of paper feed slot;
unscrew 2 screws at front (lift cover), they are just in front of where the printer head reaches as it traverses;
Take the cover off;
At the rear of the printer, unscrew the screws along the top edge (3 I think). Then 1 on each side, I did the ones holding the small plastic trims as well, though I don't think they are neccessary;
Pull the electonics tray open by 3 inches and there is the battery!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Sari (12/17/02 2:00 PM) + / -
Thaks for info on battery change, Paul.

Does anyone have an owners manual? I still want to know what error #43 is.

Whizzing, whirring, broken by Val (12/19/02 5:51 PM) + / -
Help!!!
I loaded some old paper into my newest Epson 740 and proceeded to print as usual. the paper tore and came out crooked and the printer whizzed and whirred and continued to make noise and woouldn't shut off. I looked inside, saw only the tiniest corner of paper, removed it; didn't help. Everytime I turn it on it makes a whirring racket but nothing moves except I can see the rollers spinning inside.. The red lights then flash on and off. All of them. When I try and shut it off the same thing happens.i can't see anything else caught inside.
I did unplug it for two minutes; same thing.
First it appears its just starting up and then the rollers just spin and it makes that godawful noise....
Could something still be caught inside??
Suggestions??

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Jim (12/28/02 10:02 AM) +1 + / -
I have parallel yellow lines that are approximately one half inch apart traveling the entine height of all color picture printouts. This is not the case when printing text in any color and also not the case when printing black and white pictures. I have cleaned heads (at least 20 times),re-aligned the heads,replaced cartridges,changed pad under ink cartridges, un-istalled and re-installed the printer and drivers,changed paper thickness setting, and printed on different mil and surface papers. Is the printer self-fixable?

My frickin' Epson Color Stylus 740!! by honeymaidd (1/9/03 7:32 PM) + / -
Why can't I turn on my frickin Epson Color Stylus 740 on? And why does it kill IN THE MIDDLE of a print job?

Am I the only one?

Please advise.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Robin (1/31/03 2:56 PM) + / -
I had my Epson 740 for over a year with no problems running a Windows 2000 pc. I got a new pc and installed XP Professional on it. My printer seemed to work fine for a while. Then after a few weeks it started printing garbage and only on the first 1 or two lines of a sheet then doing the same on each sheet until I remove the paper and turn it off. I was in the middle of a semester where using the pc was crucial so I let well enough alone and got by. I started rebuilding my computer from scratch and the printer has printed fine for about a month. Then this week (with a new semester under way and I will need a printer with this one) it started misbehaving again. I have purchased an imaging software and created images during the different steps of rebuilding the pc. I have blown out the last couple of images, but the printer still prints garbage. I'm lost and don't know what else to try. Help please!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Mo (2/2/03 3:52 PM) + / -
Hi Folks,

I know very little about computers, so I need your help. I have a Stylus 740 and I could not print with Microsoft XP. It worked fine when I was using Windows 98.

Can anyone help find a driver? Thanks.

Mo

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Mo (2/2/03 3:52 PM) + / -
Hi Folks,

I know very little about computers, so I need your help. I have a Stylus 740 and I could not print with Microsoft XP. It worked fine when I was using Windows 98.

Can anyone help find a driver? Thanks.

Mo

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/2/03 5:28 PM) + / -
MO:

Please go to the Epson site:

www.epson.com

Click on United States/Canada. Click on the Drivers and Dowwnload on the middle of the left side on the screen. Select the inkjet printers. Scroll down until you see the Epson Stylus Color 740 and click on it. Click on the Windows Xp link and follow the direction to download the driver.
Good luck.
Dewaine

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Robin (2/3/03 5:04 PM) + / -
Anonymous,
Already been there. Yes, that takes you to a list of drivers, but the Stylus Color 740 isn't there. Thanks though.
robin

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by sue (2/5/03 12:27 PM) + / -
HELP!!
My printer has been great for about 2 years, I use color & b/w ink for about $4 each from ABC ink, which has been working fine although I have to do a cleaning cycle each time I change the inks but at that price it does'nt matter! Changed black ink last week & have had nothing but red horizontal lines going through my printouts since, have tried everything I know,tried new ink cartridges,cleaned nozzles a thousand times (at least!)took printer apart & did full cleaning & still the same problem. On the nozzle check printout there is 1 piece of blue wavy line missing which is what there was when this problem occured. Unfortunately I stocked up with a load of cheap ink but its only for the 740 so looks like i am stuck with it. Does anyone have any ideas on these red horizontal lines please?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Terry (2/6/03 3:06 PM) + / -
I have three 740's not printing color, having changed cartridges and tried many suggesions, I'm convinced the heads are clogged from lack of use. I'll try the cleaning options. What I am wondering is,,,,what is the truth of removing good cartridges and making them worthless, why does this happen, or is it not true. Thanks

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by carter (2/7/03 7:50 AM) +1 + / -
please, where can I find the driver (software) for the epson color stylus 740

Inkjetart.com - where'd they go? by Svein Karlsen (2/8/03 1:33 AM) + / -
Hello all,

I've seen several references to inkjetart.com in this thread. I had a peek at their site just a couple of weeks ago, and just went back to day to check up on their 740 cleaning instructions. Alas, they're gone, off the web. Anyone know what happened to them, and where I might obtain the same cleaning instructions?

Svein

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by ProSN (2/8/03 4:40 AM) + / -
Hello Epson 740 owners;

Thank you for all the insight to what's going on with these 740's, I needed to find that one battery idea for sure. This one 740 here has been thru all the same things, but somehow I have been able to get it back to print just like new again. It was purchased new at Costco, worked much better than the rest of them for pictures, it was hands down a winner in the tests at the stores. I have had such good luck with it, I picked up two more off ebay. Both didn't work for beans, but the one for parts, after I worked it over, is the best one out of the two! The other one has a few problems I am not worried about. These things you can replace the inks over and over and still never spend much on inks.(I never buy the Epson ones okey) Most of what all I found Has been in the inks themselves. Some of those replacement ones are just not that good, But, over time after hours of working them over etc, These things are really some of the best "INK JETS" they put on the market I feel. Based on over-all cost to operate, they win hands down on the new ones. If you include the print quality with how little you pay to own one, then the picture is clear. Epson 740, and all the clones up and down the line that use the same ink cartridges, can work for years! Who knows how much longer they will, who cares! They work!
I did have to do some cleaning in there, I used a Q tip with some rubbing Alcohol all over inside did the job well after all these years of service sitting there most of the time. That seems to be one of the main things, if you work them, they stay good, let 'em sit, the ink dries out. Bought in 1999 New, still working and planning to keep many years more! I will buy another from ebay to make it 4! LOL..
Have a great day everybody, hang in there and keep those posts a comin' in! I luv it!
ProSN.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Andy (2/8/03 8:19 AM) + / -
I have an Epson color 740 that works fine on Mac OS 9.2 but will not work on Mac OS 10.1.It worked fine when I first started with OS 10, but started working sporaically and then not at all. I have reloaded the drivers provided by Apple on the system software CDs and it does not help. The Epson support site does not have the drivers for OS 10 and refers you to the Apple CD. Any ideas/solutions?

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Val (2/8/03 10:38 AM) + / -
Just wanted to enter my 2 cents here. I've never ever had a problem with ink cartridges in my Epson 740. I've used Generic ones for years with no problem. Usually get 'em off Ebay for just a few dollars each. I've also removed cartridges when I was going to let a printer sit, and installed the same cartridge in a newer Epson 740 - or occasionally back into the original Epson 740 with nary a problem. It worked every time. I also use the 740 at least weekly - this way I don't have any problems with clogged heads or inkjet nozzles. My first Epson 740 lasted about 3 years. I got two more, one locally and one from Ebay. One of them went kaput due to using old, too-thin paper. It got caught and although I took the dang thing apart and cleaned out what paper I could I couldn't get it to work again correctly and didn't have the time to fiddle with it.
The other one works wonderfully with my Imac.
For those of you who are trying to use the 740 with OS 10 or with Windows XP: I've heard that there are NO drivers for the 740 for OS 10, which is one reason I didn't upgrade my IMAC to OS 10.
Apparently it CAN be used with XP with whatever drivers are already in your Windows XP. There is NO download you can get at the Epson site for using with XP.
On my new Dell I am currently using a Canon i320 which was very inexpensive (on sale) and works great. You can print in 'draft' so you save ink and they have generic cartridges for this too. So far I am very pleased and happy with both printers.
If anyone is interested in buying (cheap) my two non-working Epson 740's email me. Someone of you could probably get 'em to work, at least the 2nd one which was nearly new when I got it a few months back.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by ProSN (2/8/03 2:34 PM) + / -
Epson 740 Tips;

1. Try some of those printer cleaning Cartridges, those seem to work good for me here.
2. Run the regular cleaning a number of times, then print the test papers a lot.
3. Move the paper lever from + to 0, I use this one in the 0 position.
4. Sometimes just use some fresh inks in there, works for me most of the time.
5. Always use fresh clean paper, at least #20 or more coz the thin ones always try to take two sheets thru jamming it almost everytime.
6. Keep it clean and as dust free as you can, i use that pressurized air duster especially around where the paper feeds thru.
7. After so many years of use, they need some lube just like anything does, your car, your printer, your furnace and air conditioning etc...I use a lightweight oil so it wont gum up over time.
8. Don't use any caustic solvents or thinners, they eat the plastic and would make the printer useless.
9. Use it on a regular basis, we get up every day keeps us going, same thing with a printer or ur car.
10. I found the latest drivers on the Epson site, downloaded them to this computer here, works even better than they did before now with WIN98SE.
11. WIN2000/XP Has drivers built in for the 740, add a printer and there are the drivers for Epson with the Epson monitor and everything right on the disk with the OS.
12. Not sure about WIN95, but i am sure if they work with WIN98, they will do good with 95 if you use the latest Driver from Epson.
13. http://www.driverguide.com/ Has some of the latest links to download drivers. You have to join them but it's well worth the time and effort if you can't find what youre looking for elsewhere.
14. When you install the drivers for this Printer or any printer for that matter, make SURE to turn OFF the Virus Scanner! Prevents errors and software conflicts promoting smooth printer operations.

These are just a few of my own ideas, I am sure we can all do better for ourselves if we hang with these printers and share everything we can.
Have a super day everybody! *Smiles*
ProSN....

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by betty fairchild (2/9/03 3:09 AM) + / -
NO MORE MESSAGES, PLEASE! I HAVE NOT HAD AN EPSON PRINTER FOR MONTHS!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by ProSN (2/9/03 3:44 AM) + / -
Betty;

All you need to do is click the link in the lower part of the email, then follow the directions on the page to UNSUBSCRIBE to this Thread. That way you wont get any more emails. There are many of us still using Epson Printers, and we all appreciate the things we are learning in here. I realize you don't care anymore, but do we need to live by your rules in life?......Please unsubscribe and have a nice day!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Kuba (2/10/03 1:27 PM) +1 + / -
I am with the tech man at times. There are people here who don't know how to unsubscribe from the forum, even though the unsubscribe link is in every mail they get. How much simpler life can be, huh?

There are people here who don't have a clue how an ink jet works, and why "idle" ink jets generally *don't* work. One doesn't need to be an engineer to figure it out. A little common sense and appreciation of how the world around us works is all it takes.

How much science classes does it take to understand that inkjet heads are spraying tiny jets of ink that are usually not wider than a thousandth of an inch. A human hair's diameter is huge in comparison. And, although inks are supposed to dry on paper only, they will dry in the air just as well, albeit much slower. I don't see why anybody expects a print head with dried ink inside of micron-thick capillaries to work at all. Well, that's probably because people don't see why heart or brain capillaries get clogged with deposits and you get into serious medical trouble. Go figure :(

Capillary vessels in the skin, heart muscle and brain aren't that different from inkjet capillaries. The blood cells that go through the capillary vessels are about the same diameter as the vessels themselves. In inkjets, the ink particles end up being about one thenth to one fiftieth the diameter of the ink capillary, IIRC. But then, ink dries much faster than a blood cell does. And ink molecule's only purpose is to clot! Ink molecules aren't cells, and they cannot actively regulate their own drying and aggregation!

A note to printhead designers: time has come, it seems, to put some catalytic lining inside of the capillaries, and to make the ink stay fluid (not aggregate/clot) when the catalyst is nearby. That's be a nice research topic, methinks.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Betty (2/10/03 5:26 PM) + / -
Thanks for both your helpful if rather snide remarks about getting off this list. There IS NO link of any kind on the e-mails I'm receiving about EPSON printers. . . I've checked this many times. So I'll just go ahed and delete the notices that come in and avoid having to read unknown people's supercilious comments. Enjoy your superiority, do!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Bob (2/13/03 8:36 AM) + / -
How do i change my ink cartridge without the red light flashing???

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by ProSN (2/13/03 9:13 PM) + / -
Look....;

There is a LINK in EVERY email to UNSUBSCRIBE, if you are not finding it, then ask the Administrator of these pages to help you. We are trying to get help with our printers, and are not responsible for YOUR problem(s) with emails.

As for replacing inks in the Epson 740 without the red lights flashing, How do you mean that? Like before the ink is actually out? Or to keep the lights from flashing? Either way, if you want to change the inks, sometimes there is a little trick I use to fool the Printer before those lights flash. (1.) Open the flip cover, and push the usual button for changing inks or cleaning. (sometimes I use either one). Then, (2.) right as the head gets out in the open, Pull the Plug on the Printer right there.(the power cord plug.) Everything STOPS Cold, That way you can change the inks, or put in some cleaning cartridges to clean out those very small ink nozzles. Try to be careful when you perform these tasks, coz once you get some tiny pieces of dirt in there, who knows if you will ever get them out. DON'T move the HEAD manually while the power is off, you can Damage the HEAD. Then plug the printer back in once you have REPLACED any inks you removed. Resume as usual setting up or cleaning.

Other than that, Try to get the latest version of the "Epson Status Monitor". That way you can view what all is going on while the printer is cleaning or printing. There is also a link to change Inks in that Monitor, but it only works when they try and tell you the inks are out of fluid. Sometimes another little trick I use is this. When the printer tells you that it's out of Ink, take the ink cartridge out like you are going to change it, then turn it 90 degrees to the side, tapping it on the table top or the printer stand. Then, put it back into the ink Saddle, and you now have a FULL ink well again! LOL, no actually you FOOLED the status Montitor into thinking the ink is new, but that only works on the LARGER Capacity ink wells, coz sometimes they are still good for a little while longer, especially if you don't have the money right now to buy a new set of Inks.

Thats about it for now everybody, I welcome Questions or comments RELATED to Epson 740's ONLY please. I will share all I can here, coz that is what it's all about......Bettering our Knowledge in the Epson 740!

LONG LIVE THE 740!

ProSN......

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/14/03 5:33 PM) + / -
I work for an Epson Authorized Dealer [we are also an H.P. Authorized Service Provider] and I have around 18 years experience working on office products. The Epson Stylus 740 & 740I models are good printers and I go so far as to take old 740's [cust buys a new printer and wants their 740 dumped]& service them [if saveable] and resell them, but only to "OLD STYLE MACINTOSH" customers, whose systems cannot be upgraded to USB. I know of no printer mfg that produces a small ink jet printer with a Mac serial port. This leaves those customers with no choice but to buy a newer Mac system. If I can keep a few 740's running then these people can still use a printer on there old Mac's, that they seem to love... Most of the problems people have are caused by something they did, or did not do and are not always the printers fault. ONE EXAMPLE: Refilling your own cartridges, or having them refilled, or buying 3rd party ink [generic ink, non Epson ink]= no matter what anyone says, all blacks, or colors are not the same. Even Epson has several different blacks for their different models of printers [also why all companies patent their ink formula and also why H.P. makes more money selling cartridges, then on selling printers]. A couple of years ago, I loved customers who used 3rd party inks, or refilled their own cartridges [you got to love those UNIVERSAL INK adds/commercials]and would tell them honestly why I did. A printer tech could make more money [labor] off these customers who just had to save money on ink. Now that prices on small ink jet printers have come down so much, a customer can buy a new printer cheeper than they can repair their old printer for, or close to the same price. If you use refilled cartridges, refill your old cartridges, or buy 3rd party ink for your Epson Printer, you take your chances. Remember its not always the printers fault though, when you get a leak, the waste ink pads fill up to soon [YIKES: thats a whole story unto itself, especially seeing so many non Epson trained techs/owners have trouble trying to replace the ink pads & reset the counter], the print heads clog up, your copy quality starts to fail, you start going thru too much ink, you start hearing GRINDING NOISES/RATCHETING NOISES & your print head assy slams against the left side of the inside of the printer, resulting in 2 flashing error lights/led's & 2 solid error lights/led's, or there are ink spots/drops/lines on your copies. Oh Well! YOU DID SAVE MONEY BUYING THOSE CHEEPER CARTRIDGES, SO THAT IS SOME CONSOLATION...By the way, ink quality is not the only reason that print heads CLOG : You ever turn your printer off by using the off/on switch on your "Surge Protector/Power Strip" [rather than the off/on switch on the printer], so you could turn off multiple units at one time? Used to be able to make money [labor] off that one too... You ever remove an Epson ink cartridge, then shake it and you could tell there was still ink left in it? You just knew that there was enough ink left in the cartridge to get you by until you could find time to buy a replacement cartridge. Maybe you wanted to get your money's worth by using up the last drop of ink in that cartridge. SO YOU JUST HAD TO RE-INSTALL THAT CARTRIDGE back into your printer. Hey look at that, no more flashing LED, or no more solid LED and you could just keep printing away. Used to be able to make money [labor] off that one too...You ever keep running so many "Print Head Cleaning Cycles" and "Nozzle Tests", trying to get all of the print head nozzles to open/fire, that the flashing ink led came on, or worse yet the solid ink led? WELL, the MFG of your ink cartridge made the money that time and probably twice what the cartridge cost, because you still had to install a second, full cartridge. However, as you still had a problem in your printer, maybe I used to be able to make money off that one too... You ever catch your cat laying on, or near your printer [same problem with dogs, just that they don't usually lay on a printer] and you see that cat/dog hair all around your printer? Do you keep your printer turned off and covered up when your not using it? Me either and I'm a printer tech. By the way, just so you don't think I'm some animal hater, I have a dog that lives in my house and 9 feral cats that we take the responsibility for, but they live outside and none of my animals can reproduce. Love animals and I used to be able to make money [labor] off that one too... You ever go several months without making a copy on your Epson printer, or maybe never use the color ink? EXAMPLE : Schools that are closed for the summer [no air conditioning on, when its usually the hotter period of the year & the printer just sets there not being used at all: can you say CLOG]. These people should never have purchased an Epson, better off with an H.P. I used to be able to make money [labor] off that one too... ANY OF THESE EXAMPLES, RING A BELL, OR SOUND FRAMILIAR? THEN MAYBE ITS NOT ALWAYS THE FAULT OF YOUR EPSON PRINTER. Oh Yeah! YOU DID SAVE MONEY BUYING THOSE CHEEPER CARTRIDGES, SO THAT IS SOME CONSOLATION. All inks are not the same and all printers are not the same. I like to find out whats best for my customers needs, not for my needs. Some people are better off with an H.P., than with an Epson, and some people should have an Epson over an H.P. I'll be the first one to tell them so. Its better to be honest to your customers and much easier to keep them, if you are. They will still need me, or some other tech someday, but if its me then I'll get to finally make some money again. If I make $50 in labor, the company I work for has to sell as many as 4, or 5 small ink jet printers to make the same profit [give or take]. A small company does not make that much selling small ink jets. The company that makes the printers [H.P., Epson, etc.] makes the profit. You make your choices, lets just hope they work out for you. If your happy, thats what counts in the end.... Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by max (2/16/03 11:27 AM) + / -
my machine sounds like it forgot where the clutch
was.grinds and jerks then stops with all lights lit.
any suggestions?

Brainwashed service technicians and the market strategy by AES (2/16/03 1:19 PM) +1 + / -
Anonymous,

I am glad that you are convinced you that all of the problems you are running in to are due to the manufacturer’s biggest problem, ink sales. To be honest with you, you haven’t provided anything useful to the discussion. When you think about the money is made while you are spooning out dough for cartridges, you can see the whole picture.

Think of the dollars spent here:

Example one:
Printer cost: $90
Cartridge cost: $40/mo
This is the average user, with a good amount of usage. The color carts in the Epson printers get eaten up by the automatic cleaning function and the printer won’t print without both carts having ink in them. This feature is factored in to the total cost.

Example two (or how to put the printer companies out of business):
Printer cost: $90
Cartridge cost: $10/mo
So, you are paying 25% of example one for similar results every month. This adds up, because in three months you can buy yourself a whole other printer with the money you saved. It is not likely that your printer will die in three months from using “non-genuine” Epson cartridges, but if it does you would not have lost any money. If your printer survives the deadly non-genuine carts for more than three months, you are making money.

If, or when, the printer dies from the horrible quality ink you are using, and the repair shop wants to charge you more than 50% of the overall price of the printer just laugh at them and buy another printer.

It is obvious that the overall manufacturing cost has dropped on printers. The strategy of the printing companies is to sell you a cheap printer and expensive ink and make money off training factory technicians, who also make money on repairing the cheaply constructed printers they make. This strategy is also used in other markets.

Why go to a repair shop and spend $50 bucks to replace my $90 printer if you can buy a new one for $90 with two new ink cartridges?

If you take the ink out of the equation, then printer companies are not making any money of you. If you take the repair out, by buying another printer, repair shops start to take the hit too.

Why do they spend so much money to market you a product at such a low up-front price? Why do you think Epson and other printing companies take so many steps to prevent people from refilling their cartridges? Why would a printer tech come here and tell us that ink carts are the reason everyone has problems? Why would he or she be trained to believe that?

It is not dishonest to use refillable cartridges, as some may think; it is just going to mess up their market plan. I don’t condone profit for the printing companies, though the printer companies know that they will continue to loose money on non-genuine carts. This goes for repair shops too, since expensive printers are more likely to be taken in for repair instead of being replaced.

There are some costs that you will need to take in effect also. The inital cost of refilling kits, chip resetters and the technical knowledge you will need to do this all yourself.

When I got my printer for portable use, I looked at the TCO and decided how much I wanted to spend. It is fortunate that the printing company did not mislead me when I bought my printer, or else I may be loosing money by just using the factory carts. The way that it stands now, you are all very likely to come out on top if you fix it yourself or buy another printer.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by PhilAlex (2/17/03 12:39 PM) + / -
Not to be a buttinski... but I HATE Inkjets with a pain. I spend DAYS with my old Epson Stylus, and bottles of Alcohol.

Anyhow... A pal of mine travels with a "Travel" Inkjet.

It NEVER works.

I told him the best portable printer is a Modem. Fax the letter to the front desk.

Way cheaper.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Rick Hamilton (2/17/03 1:14 PM) + / -
Right off, let me say I love Epsons! Yeah, they can be a pain, and there are some really cheaply made models out there, but let me clear up a few things right now. Epson's don't like disuse or extremely dry conditions (like winter in the Northern hemisphere) Use your epson and make a test page every couple of days, or humidify the room it's in. Put a towel over a bowl of water and the printer if you have to, especially during winter.
Next.. Epson's use a piezo head, not a thermal head, which is far more forgiving of alternative inks. There are several large groups of Epson users who use nothing but non-Epson inks in their machines. There are thousands of Epson users doing dye-sublimation printing with non-Epson inks in their 3000's,1280's,1520's,980's,900's, and the latest batch of C40's on up.
There are thousands of other Epson users doing heat transfers with archival inks, and hundreds more who do fine art prints with their printers, using lots of non-Epson inks.
If I were to buy an ink, whether it be a dye based knockoff, archival, or dye sublimation, I am careful to watch the expiry date. Inks settle. They also change over time. This can cause clogging. Using Windex for several days on the heads is no fun.
With a little common sense, one can eventually find a cheap ink alternative to the expensive Epson cartridges. Once the color corrections are done, the stuff works as well as the expensive Epson ink. If you find a good cheap ink that does what you want it to do, stick with it. Forget what Epson techs tell you, because they are simply pushing the company line.
Having said that, I can tell you that there are some really bad inks out there. If you don't do your homework, and buy from a reputable ink seller, then you may have problems.
Finally, NEVER use your printer with an empty cartidge, even if it's magenta that's out and all you want to do is print black type. You WILL burn out your heads.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/17/03 5:41 PM) + / -
I've never had a problem with printing from an Epson printer and have used only generic cartridges for years. These days I don't do a lot of printing and probably spend a total of... about..... maybe
$15 at most(!) per year for cartridges.
I love my Epson 740.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/17/03 6:07 PM) + / -
FOLLOW-UP FROM 2/14/2003 @ 17:33:21, under listing of ANONYMOUS, by Denny Conway... The point of my long posting was not to act like I was being a "told-you-so", or a "smart a--" and I appologize if thats how I came across to anyone. My point was just that the Epson Stylus 740/740I was not a piece of junk, that it was actually one of the better printers made by Epson. Alot of the problems people are having with ink jet printers, are not the fault of the company who made the printer, or the particular model of printer mentioned. The fault is with how some owners may be using their printer, or the type of supplies you put into your printer, or how you may be unknowingly causing your own problems... As I am employed by a company who is an Epson Authorized Dealer, there is alot of information that I have available to me, as a printer tech, that I use to correct problems and perform repairs that is not available to the general public. As a dedicated and trusted employee, I am bound by regulations that don't allow me to release much of that service information to the general public. I try to help as much as I can when I have the time. When you work for a company/employer, your time is their time. Away from work, my time belongs to my family and myself. I don't even use my own computer at home very often, because I have to use my PC at work, so much... REQUARDING WHAT "ANONYMOUS 2/15/2003 @ 00:37:57" had to say, but did not even bother to give his own NAME to: IT IS NOT "ALL ABOUT MAKING MONEY OFF CUSTOMERS FOR SURE" [or I would not be using my time, posting info on a FREE printer repair site, or pointing out to my customers that they can probably buy a new printer cheeper than I can repair their old printer for]... AND LETS SEE, how did you put it... OH YEAH! "lets have some real INFORMATION in here, no more looking DOWN on us as a way to make money. WE NEED some CLASS in what you are willing to share..... or place it carefully where the sun has never been.......". Well as YOUR real CLASS is totally evident by your UNSIGNED posting, I won't waste MY TIME, or YOUR TIME any longer. Any REAL SECRETS that I could have shared, will not be wasted on you. Thanks to you I won't even be able to share possible help with deserving people, because you would be able to use that info and you are not worthy of my help... AGAIN, MY APOLOGIES, IF I MISLED, OR OFFENDED ANYONE OTHER THAN "ANONYMOUS 2/15/2003 @ 00:37:57... Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/18/03 3:23 PM) + / -
Denny's response was very helpful. Thanks!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Redster (2/18/03 8:44 PM) + / -
Anonymous,

>People in here want to know about HOW to FIX their printer.<

Me too, which is why I hope *your* commentary will now be limited to topic... no offense, but you're wasting more bandwidth than the people that are cheesing you off.

On topic, I am using an Epson 1200 and have found a great deal of information here that should apply to my own ailing Epson. Thanks to all who have posted real-time experiences!

Redster

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Drejc (2/19/03 10:38 AM) + / -
Does enyboby know where i can find status monitor for this printer that will work in windows XP. Please help.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/19/03 11:50 AM) + / -
MY APOLOGIES TO "REDSTER", THE PREVIOUS PROBLEM CALLED "ANONYMOUS" [WHOM I COULD NOT PLEASE AT ALL] AND ANYONE ELSE I'VE OFFENDED... TO ANYONE ELSE THAT I MIGHT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HELP, I'M SORRY, BUT ITS NOT WORTH WASTING MY TIME, OR YOUR TIME [IT SEEMS], SO I'M GONE... GOOD LUCK AND I WISH YOU ALL WELL! DENNY CONWAY

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by moe (2/19/03 10:53 PM) + / -
I try and stay out of forum arguments, but when they cost the message board a valuable asset like Denny, I have to step in. Whoever it was who was posting anonymously earlier has been banned and the posts cleaned up. I hope Denny reconsiders and comes back.

Moe

Re: Epson stylus photo RX600 by TMC (1/17/05 2:12 PM) + / -
I have installed this printer, the problem is when it has been in use and I try to shut down the computer just hangs and does not switch off. The only way to do so is then by pressing the button on the pc itself. Has any one got any ideas? My pc is running XP and the printer is connected with a USB.

thanks

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (1/17/05 2:41 PM) + / -
TMC: I'm sorry, but thats not usually an actual printer problem, but most likely a problem in your computer system. The only thing I can suggest is that you deinstall your printer off your computer system and then go on-line to epson.com and download the latest printer drivers and see if that helps. As drivers are FREE, I usually recommend trying those first if you have a possible communication problem. Bad or corrupted drivers can cause many problems. You can delete your printer and its drivers and then download the latest available drivers from the Epson Home Page at http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp . Click-on your particular area, where you live [example: USA]. Then click-on DRIVERS AND SUPPORT and then click-on your particular type of Epson Printer [example: INKJET]. Look under the Ink Jet Printers for your "Epson Stylus Color 740" and click-on it. Once the DRIVERS & DOWNLOAD PAGE opens, read the INFORMATION to locate your particular SYSTEM [Win's 95,98,ME,2000.etc.] and then click-on it. Follow the directions and read all the available information concerning your systems driver downloads. Finally at the bottom of the page, click-on "Printer Software Installation for Windows ___ [Epson Printers]", or the "Download" option button. After the downloading utility opens, read the download information available, make your choices and complete the installation. If new printer drivers do not help, then you may have an actual problem in your computer system [bad software, incorrect internal PC or USB settings, possible hardware/parts problems, virus, etc]. In that case, you may need to get help from an actual computer technician/person, rather than a printer technician, on this Printer Repair Site...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Epson Stylus Color 740 by sg (1/22/05 12:36 PM) + / -
when i print, my computer won't show me the ink levels, so i never know when i have to buy more ink or how long until it will run out until i see the red lights blinking...is there anything i can do on my computer to make it show the ink levels for my printer...it used to show me the ink levels but recently it stopped...

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Diandra Jackson (1/23/05 6:07 AM) + / -
My printer has all 3 lights blinking. It wont let me refill the ink ( even though it is full) Paper is filled, but it wont let me print. I need it for infinite reasons. Please help!!!!!!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Wes (1/23/05 11:11 AM) + / -
The problem with your printer is called a maintenance request error. This means that the absorber pads (waste ink pads) need to be replaced or cleaned. And then the protection counter will need to be reset.

You can just reset the protection counter but it is recommended that you clean or replace the absorber pads.

The reset info for the protection counter is here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/440reset.html And info on accessing the absorber pads is here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/wip.html You can get the absorber pads from compassmicro.com

I hope this helps,

Wes.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (1/25/05 10:53 AM) + / -
sg: The only thing I can suggest is to go on-line to the Epson Drivers & Download Page, located at http://www.epson.com and then click-on "Status Monitor 2 vD2BE", listed for: "Windows 2000
STATUSMON2WIN2KD2BE.EXE - 4.5MB - posted on 03/28/00" [OR] "Status Monitor 2 v2.0DE", listed for "Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 95
SM7420DE.EXE - 2.8MB - posted on 09/14/98". That should download & install the "Epson Status Monitor" for your particular Operating System, for your "740" printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/1/05 9:33 AM) + / -
While attempting to print the paper does not feed into the printer evenly. Sometimes will jam up and stop the print and other times works ok. But seems to favor the left side for first feet input.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/1/05 9:45 AM) + / -
Anonymous: THE MOST COMMON CAUSE OF PAPER FEEDING IN CROOKED/SKEWED: It's possible that the paper may be running into a foreign object and not feeding in at all. A foreign object could also cause the paper to stall, or even feed-in crooked. Remove all the paper and use a flashlight to look carefully into the paper feed-in area. Look for a pen, pencil, push pin, paper clip, candy, etc. If you can't see anything, then actually pick your printer up and turn it so the paper opening is facing down and shake it a little, side to side. Your trying to dislodge anything that might be stuck in the paper entrance area. If nothing falls out, then turn it back over and use the flashlight to once again look inside that area. Sometimes you'll see an object that may have moved over into view while you were shaking the printer. Any foreign object might block the paper from actually being able to move forward, so then the printer thinks there is no paper installed. You may have to even remove the Top Cover to be able to get a better view of that paper feed area. Unfortunatly, just removing that cover is not always that easy, especially on the newer Epson Printers. You may need a Service Manual for reference, disassembly and troubleshooting. There is an "Epson Stylus 400,440,640,660,740 Printer Information Page" that is available to view at http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/440.html , that may be of some help to you. It does have a section on the left side you can click-on, titled HOUSING REMOVAL and also a section titled PAPER FEED, that may be of some help to you. There is also a free download of an "Epson Stylus 740 Manual", from fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson , that may als be of some help in troubleshooting your printers paper feed problem. Even if there is not a foreign object stuck in that area, with the top cover off, you might just possibly see what the problem is and even be able to correct it...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/7/05 4:47 PM) + / -
try cleaning and lightly lubricating the rail that the head slides back and forth on. Eventhough it sounds like a major problem is taking place, I have seen this take care of the problem several times. Good luck.

Re: Re: Epson Color Stylus 640 by Anonymous (2/15/05 6:15 AM) + / -
hi Val. did anyone manage to solve your epsom problems?? If so would you pass on the fix because mine has developed all flashing lights...yuk!
regards
den

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by John (2/15/05 10:00 AM) + / -
I had a clogged black print head and was running cleaning cycles with cleaning cartridges when I got all 3 lights blinking (like 1/23/05 post from Diandra) Had tried unplugging/replugging usb cable and restarting both printer and computoer. Went to links in 1/23 reply from Wes to reset counter. The problem is that the advice is a bit mysterious - it says steps will vary depending on printer but all the steps call for pressing the cleaning switch which the 740 doesn't have. I can't seem to get it to reset.Any ideas on resetting counter?
Thanks

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/15/05 11:02 AM) + / -
John: I'm sorry, but I cannot actually tell you how to do that reset procedure. I can tell you, that your "740" has an actual Cleaning Button [usually has ink drops above it], that when you hold it down for 3 to 5 seconds, causes it to go into a "Printhead Cleaning Cycle". I would have to guess that button, is probably your printers "cleaning switch", that was mentioned. If you cannot get that procedure to work on your printer: You may want to check out the "Stylus Color 740 Printer
Service Program", that is available to buy and download for around $7.00, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_56_50&products_id=207 ...Here's some additional information on your printers service error condition: Those blinking lights are actually indicating a "Maintenance Request Error", which is actually a Waste Ink Ink Pad Error. Your normal remedy, is to replace the Waste Ink Pad/Pads with a new one/ones and then reset the Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter. If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. There is an "Epson Stylus 400,440,640,660,740 Printer Information Page" that is available to view at http://epsonhelp.freehttp.com/440.html , that may be of some help to you. It does have a section on the left side you can click-on, titled WASTE INK PAD SERVICING and also a section titled HOUSING REMOVAL, that will be of some help to you, if you want to try the needed servicing. You may still need to go on-line and buy and download the actual reset procedure [to clear that error condition], if you cannot get that reset procedure that you read about, to actually work for you. You can see "Exploded Parts Diagrams" of most Epson Ink Jet Printers and can also check on possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water. Then they simply dry them out and reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make. I would at least recommend getting that waste ink counter reset procedure and performing it first, to make sure your printer will then work...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by john (2/16/05 6:39 AM) + / -
Thanks for the help, Denny - I downloaded the manual, cleaned the waste ink pads and reset the counter - it's fixed-

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/16/05 9:16 AM) + / -
John: You're welcome! Congratulations on being able to correct your own printers problem and for having done it so quickly. Good Job!...Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Hisus (2/17/05 12:28 PM) + / -
Regarding my 740i printer-- it's worked fine for years, with both epson and home-refilled cartridges. Lately,however, printing black works fine, but when attempting to print color what should be black in the color picture doesn't print.- ie- a photo taken at night with a flash but a bunch of black in the background won't show up black in the back-- some objects will actually print that can't be seen in the dark of the normal picture. Darker areas in the foreground also won't be black. The color parts do print, but the result is like a '60's Fillmore Auditorium poster. If it is a picture with text added I'm making, the text won't print either. If I print the same page as B&W, it all prints fine., in B&W. Does the printer use the black cartridge when printing color, or a mixture of the Red/Yellow?Blue to make black? I have cleaned several times and run the nozzle check. The nozzle check pattern shows the 3 color grids fine. However, of the 3 black grids, the one to the left is completely missing. The center one and the one to the right are normal. I get the same result whether the printer is connected to the computer or not. I use an iMac running OS8.6-- Are there any new suitable replacement printers that will run on 8.6? All that I've seen locally need at least 9 . Thanks--Hisus

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/17/05 1:34 PM) + / -
Hisus: I'm sorry, I cannot help you with that Mac related question. I don't keep up on the newer printer specifications and I'm a PC person. Even the company I work for, does not work on or support Mac systems...Generally speaking, the black ink cartridge is used for printing actual true blacks. The color ink cartridge is used for composite blacks, which include all shades of blacks, like greys. A composite black is not a true black, but is a lighter shade of black, looking more washed out. Thats because all three colors are mixed together to produce the composite black. You printer simply receives data from your computer system and its software and prints out using that data that its sent. So if the software program that you were printing from, or even the actual printer drivers were corrupted, or the settings were wrong, that could cause problems with the data being sent to the printer. If part of the black nozzle pattern that is being printed out, is actually missing, then I would have to guess that you have a possible clog. Of course its also possible that the black printhead may also be starting to fail, but no way to really know for sure. However, you said that "printing black works fine" and normally, if part of the black nozzle test was not printing, that should cause void lines or white lines to be visable thru the black printing. Especially on bigger letters & numbers. If part of that black nozzle test is actually not printing, then the only thing I can suggest is to try using the "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution". Its available through fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson , but it will only help, if there is an actual clogged printhead assembly. When it opens, click-on "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" thats listed for your particular printer. The Epson solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some Epson printhead cleaning solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using actual Epson Ink Cartridges. Unfortunatly, not all Generic & Third-Party ink & ink cartridges are made the same and none of them actually contain the right formulation of ink, for the Epson Printers [formula is patented by Epson Company]. Some are probably close and seem to be better than others, but some simply can clog-up or even damage the Printhead Assemblies on Epson Printers. Epson Ink Jet Printers are one of the few printers on the market that seem to have so many problems with non-manufactors inks, especially the newer models made in the last couple of years. Its because the Epson Printers use a completely different printhead inking system than most other brands of printers. Most, if not all of the other manufactors, use thermal or bubble jetprint heads and because the other brands use a totally different system, they don't seem to have as many problems using refilled inks or non-manufactor's ink cartridges. Printer manufacters do not make available their ink formulation and in most cases, the formulation is patented. Any difference in the ink formulation can actually cause clogging in the small printhead nozzles or damage other critical components. That Epson Cleaning Solution is the same chemical used by Epson in their service department. You can try it if you want to and see if you can get those black printhead nozzles to open up again, but that will only help if they are actually clogged. It was basically designed by Epson Company for use on their older models of ink jet printers. IF YOU DECIDE TO, TRY THE "EPSON STYLUS HEAD CLEANING SOLUTION", JUST REMEMBER: The nozzles inside the printhead assembly can be easily damaged by using to much force on the plunger of the syringe. Damage can even occur when you are using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution method, if you actually try to force the fluid thru the nozzle. To much force/pressure can damage the little tubes inside the Nozzle Assembly and then it will never work again. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair. You can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid into the nozzle and then leave the fluids set inside the nozzle for a day or two, to try and dissolve a possible bad clog. Sometimes you might have to use the fluids several times to be able to dissolve the clog in the printhead nozzles. Sometimes the clog will never dissolve, or it actually damages the nozzles. The longer the clog has been in, the worse it is to remove. Again, if the cleaning fluids don't help, then its generally time to invest in a new printer. In some more expensive printers, you may want to get an estimate to replace the printhead assembly, but as a general rule, its not really economical to do in the smaller Epson Ink Jet style printers. You can generally buy a new small printer cheaper than you can have your old one repaired for. EXAMPLE: The printhead assembly in the "C80" Printer sells for around $120 to $130. There is a REVIEW of the "Printhead Cleaning Solution", as well as general "Printhead Cleaning Instructions", that is available to view at http://www.inkjetprinterhelp.us/EKR.html ...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Epson Color Stylus 740/Denny's response by Anonymous (2/18/05 11:21 AM) + / -
Denny- Thank you very much for the thoughts about my problem. I've downloaded the drivers again and nothing seems to change and the fact that the nozzle test comes up the same whether or not the printer is connested to the computer makes me think it's the printer itself. I suppose I'll try the epson cleaner kit, tho I would hate to wreck the B$W printing capability that seems to be fine, even with larger areas of black. I would speculate that the problem has been caused by the fact that I seldom print anything in color, so the heads have likely dired out. Thanks again-- Hisus

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/21/05 9:47 AM) + / -
Hisus: You're welcome and good luck with that cleaning solution. I hope it helps your printers problem...Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by papa z (2/26/05 3:46 PM) + / -
HI----APPRECIATE ALL THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON THIS SITE---
IS THERE A ---FIX YOUR OWN COMPUTER.COM PROGRAM/WEBSITE---FOR OLD OR NEW COMPUTERS TO FIX- ANY ANSWERS WILL BE APPRECIATED----

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by papa z (2/26/05 3:55 PM) + / -
HI----APPRECIATE ALL THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON THIS SITE---
IS THERE A ---FIX YOUR OWN COMPUTER.COM PROGRAM/WEBSITE---FOR OLD OR NEW COMPUTERS TO FIX- ANY ANSWERS WILL BE APPRECIATED----

No Subject by Anonymous (2/28/05 9:35 AM) + / -
Papa Z- I found out about fixyourownprinter.com from a site called
bleepingcomputer.com-- it's similar in format to the printer site. Give it a try--- Hisus

Re: Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (2/28/05 10:59 AM) + / -
Al...I have the same problem. My local expert says I need to replace the ink pads. They are on order.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (2/28/05 12:01 PM) + / -
Anonymous: Just in case you are speaking of the actual "Waste Ink Pads", then you may be interested in the free download of an "Epson Stylus 740 Manual", from fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson . That manual may be of some help to you, in actual disassembly and servicing of those waste ink pads. However, if your printer is already in the "Maintenance Request Error", service condition [usually all lights flashing], then you will still need the actual RESET PROCEDURE. You will need to reset and clear that error condition, even after those ink pads are replaced, or even if they are pulled and then simply cleaned, dried and reinstalled. You can normally find Reset Procedures for most Epson Printers, from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com/index.php?cPath=2_18 . Most reset procedures can usually be downloaded for around $10 [+/-]...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by KUSH (3/5/05 5:46 PM) + / -
My 740 was working great one day and then started acting wierd. after changing cartriges and cleaning got the black to print text ok but the color is printing out in sections on the page. It will print the whole picture but advances in some areas leaving blank spaces about 1/2 inch wide down the page.
Does anyone have an answer to this?? Greatly appriciated!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (3/7/05 10:48 AM) + / -
Kush: Sorry about the first two blank postings. Something strange must be going on with this site...The only things I can suggest: Clean & lubricate the actual "Carriage Assembly", to eliminate the possibility of a DRY and or DIRTY carriage assembly causing problems and try installing new "Printer Drivers", in case the old ones are corrupted...Try wiping off all around the round metal carriage bar or shaft [that the print cartridge holder assembly moves back-n-forth on], with a lint free cloth. Also clean the outside of the metal bushings with q-tips, that the carriage bar passes thru, on both sides of the print cartridge holder assembly. You can also use alcohol on the cloth, if there is a lot of build-up on the carriage shaft/bar. Then lube the metal bar on both sides of the holder assembly, slightly with a precision oiler, not a spray lubrication. A drop or two of a Teflon based lubrication or Tri-Flo lube is best on the older models of most printers. Manually slide the holder assembly back and forth to spread out the lubrication and wipe of any excess lube or blackish build-up that appears on the bar. After the carriage assembly is cleaned & lubed, then you should perform the "Printhead Alignment Procedure" thru the PRINTER PROPERTIES UTILITY thats loaded onto your Computer System. That alignment can be thrown off because of a dirty and or dry carriage assembly. Sometimes people will simply do a re-alignment without cleaning & lubing that assembly. That simply does a quick fix that usually does not last long. Once that assembly is cleaned & lubed, the actual alignment is then usually off, from those previously done re-alignments and or the sticking & binding caused from when that assembly was dirty and or dry. You can check out this link, supplied by WES, to see different lubrications: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/oil.html and also this link provided by WES, http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/glide.html , to see some general information on "Carriage Guide Shaft Maintenance"...You can delete your printer and its drivers and then download the latest available drivers from the Epson Home Page at http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/index.jsp . As drivers are FREE, I usually recommend trying those first if you have a possible communication problem. Bad or corrupted drivers can cause many problems. DEINSTALL [remove] your old printers first and then go to the epson.com web-site. Click-on your particular area, where you live [example: USA]. Then click-on DRIVERS AND SUPPORT and then click-on your particular type of Epson Printer [example: INKJET]. Look under the Ink Jet Printers for your "Epson Stylus Color 740" and click-on it. Once the DRIVERS & DOWNLOAD PAGE opens, read the INFORMATION to locate your particular SYSTEM [Win's 95,98,ME,2000.etc.] and then click-on it. Follow the directions and read all the available information concerning your systems driver downloads. Finally at the bottom of the page, click-on "Printer Software Installation for Windows ___ [Epson Printers]", or the "Download" option button. After the downloading utility opens, read the download information available, make your choices and complete the installation...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Anonymous (3/7/05 12:04 PM) + / -
Thanks for all the information!

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (3/7/05 12:41 PM) + / -
Kush: You're welcome! I only hope some of that info actually helps your printers problem...Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 880 by Anonymous (3/21/05 1:53 PM) + / -
3/21/05 Terry Craig 1:45pm Hi, Up graded my computer to XP Professional. New program in XP wouldn't accept my 880 printer. Talked to the folk who did the upgrade and they said to log on to Epson .com and thet would download the program to enable me to use my printer. So am I on the wrong site or what? Please help me on this. The printer works great so do not need to buy a new one. Terry

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (3/21/05 2:08 PM) + / -
Terry: I'm guessing that they were telling you to install new printer drivers, directly off the Epson web-site. Simply go to the "Epson Stylus Color 880 - Drivers & Downloads" eb-site at http://www.epson.com . Then read all the info and make your choices, to download the printer drivers for your particular printer and operating system. If that does not work, then its always possible that there's some settings, that may need to be changed in your computer system. In that case you will need to seek help from a Computer Technician/Person, such as the people that did your computer system upgrade...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by chc (3/30/05 11:31 AM) + / -
How can I reset the low/out ink lights without actually removing the ink cartridges?
I can refill my cartridges [through holes I've made in their tops] without removing them, thus avoiding the subsequent air bubble cleaning cycles. As things are now, the printer forces me to remove the cartridges when it thinks it's out of ink.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by chc (3/30/05 11:41 AM) + / -
After spending an hour searching, then posting above, I found the answer immediately afterward. It worked!!
Here it is for anyone else looking:
Re: Epson 740 - removing cartridge by Rick Hamilton (3/15/02 1:29 PM)
Try the Epson Rom reset:

WARNING:
By performing this ROM Reset, it may reset the ink monitoring system of some printers. The status monitor will show full ink levels instead of the actual level of ink remaining in the ink cartridges. You will eventually run out of ink and your printer will not be able to give you an advance warning until you replace the ink cartridges again.

ROM RESET
Please do the following steps to resolve your issue:
1. Turn the printer off using the power button on the panel of the
printer.
2. Disconnect the interface cable at the back of the printer.
3. Hold down the "LOAD/EJECT" and "CLEANING" buttons simultaneously.
4. Turn the printer on; the "PAPER OUT" light will flash for 3 seconds.
5. Immediately press the "LOAD/EJECT" button and hold for 10 second.
6. All of the lights should come on and the printer should initialize.
7. Turn the printer off and reconnect the interface cable.
8. Turn the printer on and try to print a document.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Denny Conway (3/30/05 12:18 PM) + / -
chc...JUST TO LET YOU KNOW: Unfortunatly, not all "Generic" & "Third-Party" ink and ink cartridges are made the same and none of them actually contain the right formulation of ink, for the Epson Printers [formula is patented by Epson Company]. Some are probably close and seem to be better than others, but some simply can clog-up or even damage the "Printhead Assemblies" on epson printers. I can tell you that because any non-epson ink or ink cartridge is the wrong ink, it will usually cause problems sooner or later. Epson ink jet printers are one of the few printers on the market that seem to have so many problems with non-manufactors inks, especially the newer models made in the last couple of years. Its because the epson printers use a completely different printhead inking system than most other brands of printers. Most, if not all of the other manufactors, use thermal or bubble jetprint heads and because the other brands use a totally different system, they don't seem to have as many problems using refilled inks or non-manufactor's ink cartridges. Printer manufacters do not make available their ink formulation and any difference in that ink formulation can actually cause clogging in the small printhead nozzles or damage other critical components in epson printers. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair, so you can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. I understand the differences in the costs of the non-epson ink and ink cartridges, compared to the actual epson ink cartridges and the choice is always yours to make. It really does not matter to me what type of ink or ink cartridges you decide to use in your epson printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Color Stylus 600 by ken budden (10/29/05 10:17 AM) + / -
Printer won't print, all I get is the red cross and the top of the box saying "printer off line". Have turned it off, have disconnected it, have deleted printer and re-installed it, but it remains the same. Need anyones help desperately.

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Wes (10/29/05 10:28 AM) + / -
Try a self test by holding the [paper feed button down then turn the printer on. Hold the paper feed button for a second or two then release it. If the printer prints then you might have a printer port/cable or bios problem.

It could be a main board problem on the printer as well. Are there any lights flashing on the printer? If so you will need to let us know and we can give you more help.

I hope this helps,

Wes

Re: Epson Color Stylus C40 ux by vintera (1/26/06 7:23 PM) + / -
Is this a dinosour and how do I change the color cartridges

Re: Epson Color Stylus 740 by Eifion ap Gwilym (8/13/06 9:15 AM) + / -
Hi

I had this problem with my 740.
But I have Solved the problem

1 Get hold of Printer with 2 Hands
2 Throw in Bin
3 Get New Printer
4 Not Epsom
5 Problem Solved.

Many thanks Hope this is of help to you.

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters