fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson 870

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson 870 by Mike (1/17/02 6:29 PM) reply + / -
My Epson Photo 870 is just over a year old so the warrantee has run out and I have a problem. Some of the rollers are being inked and tracking it all over all my printouts. I have epson ink cartridges and I have tried new ones and all the maintenance procedures recommended with no improvement. Please help. Thanks.

Re: Epson 870 by Greg (1/18/02 11:13 PM) reply + / -

Probably not a big job. Sounds like it's either somehow gotten ink somewhere it shouldn't have and is now spreading, or it just needs a good cleaning to get rid of the ink that's there (for whatever reason). It'll require tearing into it a bit, but you shouldn't have to do more than remove the upper housing. After that, turn the printer on long enough for it to move the carriage away from the right edge, then unplug it.

Get some paper towels and any good cleaning fluid. I've used Windex before with good results. Be sure to use the large plastic gear at the left end of the printer to turn the small rollers and the large roller that turns those.
Keep turning that while you're wiping it back and forth with the towels. Also, be sure to remove any excess buildup of ink around the right end of the carriage movement (where the pad is).

Greg

Re: Re: Epson 870 by Anonymous (4/2/05 1:53 PM) reply + / -
Greg, I am trying to resolve a very similiar problem with my Epson Stylus Photo 870. I accidently printed a photo without paper and couldn't stop the printer fast enough. I have small roller marks of black ink from top to bottom and from left to right. Also, after printing one page these marks tend to go away about 95%. But return as random marks or dots over the page. I have lived with this for over a year but lately the marks appear worst on the first page and don't go away on the second as quickly as before. I have cleaned the small rollers with windex and this has helped allot. But do I need to do more cleaning or maybe more ink is makeing it to the rollers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Steve

Re: Epson 870 by newuser (4/2/05 10:33 PM) reply + / -
Download the service manual for your printer from this site:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson

I think you should clean both front and exit rollers.

Re: Epson 870 by Denny Conway (4/4/05 1:02 PM) reply+1 + / -
Steve: Its possible that your problem is being caused by a build-up of dust, dirt, lint and hair that sticks to the wet ink on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly. That build-up acts like a small paint brush and transfers wet ink to those small white or grey relay type rollers, that the paper passes under, just prior to going under the Print Head Assembly, during the actual printing process. Those small rollers then act like tiny paint rollers and roll the wet ink onto the paper as it passes by. Once those two areas are thoughly cleaned and then the small rollers are also cleaned, the problem will normally go away. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area, in case you want to do the cleaning and at least eliminate that possibility...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson 870 by Denny Conway (4/4/05 1:12 PM) reply+1 + / -
Steve...Follow-up to first reply: I don't recommend using Windwx directly on those print head assemblies. I only recommend "Distilled Water" and the actual "Epson Print Head Cleaning Solution", because those print heads are easy to damage. That "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution", is available through fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson. When it opens, click-on "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" thats listed for your particular printer. The epson solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. Most other cleaning solutions, can cause possible damage to those print heads and the surrounding plastics, especially if they contain ammonia...Denny Conway

Re: Epson 870 by Kapinossd (4/4/05 1:27 PM) reply + / -
Denny, Thanks for the advice about the cleaning solution. I will stop using the Windex. Steve

Re: Epson 870 by Denny Conway (4/4/05 2:00 PM) reply + / -
Steve: You're welcome! I hope that information actually helps your printers problem...Denny Conway

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters