fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by in80ways@aol.com (9/24/05 2:00 PM) reply + / -
See the keypad sequence below to reset the RX500 without installing additional software.

Good news. I was so angry last night, being Friday when my RX500 decided that it was no longer willing to print and I purchased it just in May, 2005.

I had already emailed Epson support who reported nothing more than that I would have to take the printer in for service. I responded to them in the angriest response I have ever written. I was so mad that the printer had told me that parts were nearing the end of their useful life. But then did not bother to tell me that I would no longer be able to print once it decided that it was time. And no product manuals referenced this particular machine error.

I pretty much told Epson that they are profit hungry, corrupt, good for nothing A-holes and that I would report this issue to the media and to the consumer products commission if I was not provided with a proper, thorough response telling me what item in my printer was nearing the end of its' useful life.

I feel quite certain that these types of issues are hard programmed into the printer for the purpose of generating additional printer sales, increasing business to repair shops and making consumers feel that they should purchase the useless, overpriced extended warranties when they purchase a printer.

Anyway. I used a reference posted under the RX300 from another site. A few changes in keys pressed fixed the RX500 problem. I have only done this once and am afraid to recreate the problem. So, I will tell you what I remember. You don't need any software to reset the ink pad counter.

For the RX500 - Hold down "clear + setup + on"

I continued to hold the buttons until the printer had powered on, then off again, then back on. Once I noticed that the LCD had flashed a blank screen, I let go of the 3 keys. In the LCD window I was given access to 3 options using the select keys.

The first had something to do with calibrating the scan light, the second option said "startup." The 3rd did the trick. An abbreviation resembling "ink pad level" was what I was looking for. Here is where I forget what I did... I think that I pressed "OK" on the keypad,. It did nothing. Then I think that I held down the clear button for around 10 seconds. When I let go of the clear button, the LCD read "Press Power to Reset." All better now!

I hope that this helps someone.

Larry - Thank you to everyone else who led me to this solution.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by printerrepairpros (9/24/05 5:54 PM) reply + / -
You have only solved part of the problem. The error message was telling you that the waste ink pads are nearing their capacity. Unless you check or replace the waste ink pads as may be required, watch out for ink oozing out of the bottom of the printer sometime in the future!

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (9/25/05 12:25 AM) reply + / -
That is a very valid point. Though the error message actually told me nothing, nor did Epson Tech Support.

I was immediately grateful to have a functioning printer. I am hoping that the repair kit which I ordered today and the sponge pad instructions from www.inkjetprinterhelp.us will save me from the flood of ink coming from 6 toner cartridges.

I have removed the small rear panel door. The thick pads at the printer's base are no longer white, but thankfully, they are not wet either. It is pretty dry in Arizona. We're fortunate.

Maybe you could join me in letting Epson know how wasteful their technology is...? And that they are corrupt by not explaining the "parts...that had reached the end of their service life."

Are they really so desperate that they cannot say "You need new ink pads?"

Please share any information you may find with us as to alleviating this problem.

I have not located a system manual for the RX500 either. None that are free, that is. There must be a way to easily remove those pads through the rear without taking the entire printer apart. They're right there....I'm scared to yank them out though.

Please share any information that you can.

And thank you.

Larry

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Barry Kade (5/15/06 3:32 PM) reply + / -
I just needed to do a reset.
Here's what worked:

I continued to hold the buttons until the printer had powered on, then off again, then back on. Once I noticed that the LCD had flashed a blank screen, I let go of the 3 keys. In the LCD window I was shown an option which I've already forgotten I think the word "preference" was part of it. Using Select I scrolled between the choices. The correct one was something like "Reset Ink OCF". Then press the Color button and it will instruct you to press power button.
Sorry I didn't take notes of the actual messages. It's been a long day.
Barry Kade

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by CRT (8/17/06 10:30 AM) reply + / -
This is a good post!

Hold the buttons until the printer had powered on.
The first message "Calibrating" second option said "startup." The 3rd "Reset Ink OCF" Than do "Press Power to Reset." It works!

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset? by george Foster (8/23/06 7:02 PM) reply + / -
Have never seen "Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset."

Sequence: PRX500 printer quit printing black. Sent for head cleaner solution. Printer quit printing anything before solution arrived.

Get message take RX500 to printer repair shop.

Printer stopped before. Told to buy new EPSON printer. Noticed pad on left side of printer was very wet. Blotted pad. Dried pad. Printer printed again - without black.

Printer has now stopped printing anything.

Head cleaning solution has arrived. Left side pad blotted and dried. Unable to get to right side pad. Message reads "Take to Repair shop."

Nothing will move print cartridges off the right side of printer so ink pad can be dealt with.

Need printer. Low in funds for repairs or for new purchase.

Help.

GJFoster

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Jim Halliday (11/2/06 7:19 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson stylus Printer CX5200
A message says that the parts within the printer have reached theend of their service life call your service engineer.

PC world say they sell them but don't mend them and it is cheaper to throw it away and get another than have it repaired.
It is an all in one and the scanner is stilll in good condition.

Where do I get the pads?

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (11/13/06 11:28 AM) reply + / -
The same procedure that LARRY posted above works for the Stylus Photo R300, only use the Power+Maintenance+Stop keys.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by brbrown (11/18/06 3:56 AM) reply+1 + / -
Can anyone please point me in the direction of an exploded view of the RX500 to enable me to dismantle mine to get at and clean the ink pads?

Regards

B.R.Brown

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (11/18/06 8:11 PM) reply + / -
How do you replace the waste ink pads? Can you tell me where to find directions on how to do this? Thanks

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (11/29/06 9:04 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip, this fixed my issue. Originally there was a piece of paper crumpled up and jammed under neath the scanner. But once I removed the jam it kept giving this error message.

By doing this, it fixed the issue, and now is working fine.. Thank you so much... I have an email into Epson support and wondering if they will provide the same solution...

I just needed to do a reset.
Here's what worked:

I continued to hold the buttons until the printer had powered on, then off again, then back on. Once I noticed that the LCD had flashed a blank screen, I let go of the 3 keys. In the LCD window I was shown an option which I've already forgotten I think the word "preference" was part of it. Using Select I scrolled between the choices. The correct one was something like "Reset Ink OCF". Then press the Color button and it will instruct you to press power button.
Sorry I didn't take notes of the actual messages. It's been a long day.
Barry Kade

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (12/14/06 9:43 AM) reply + / -
Excelent. The RX500 copy re-set process actualy works!
My printer has come back from the dead!

This whole incident looks like a complete scam on behalf of Epson to kill your printer off after a pre-set number of copies and then get people to pay money either to have the printer serviced or buy a new one.

I wrote to Epson technical support with the error details and suggested it was an ink pad problem. They said no – it is because there really are things in the printer that require servicing. But they could not give a straight answer as to what theses things were, nor could they give any sensible guidance as to where to get the printer serviced outside warranty (as it is over two years old) or how much it will cost. It would be a joke if it were funny.

So how come when I do the copy re-set procedure the printer comes back to life and reports no other problems???

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (12/14/06 9:46 AM) reply + / -
Having fixed the counter - how do we change or clean the ink pads?

Anyone got any more information on this?

Re: Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by EPSONLCD (12/16/06 3:06 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem on a RX600
I open where the ink is and saw the pad.It was full of Ink
I just reach in and pull it out with a toothpick (HITECK TOOL)
then I washed it with hot water blowed dried it reinstaled it did the RESET and working fine .Some guy wanted $50.00 plus labor
I might be old (74) but not stupid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (4/5/07 10:42 AM) reply + / -
I just {2nd hand} purchased RX500 couldnt find the usb hookup site and also had an error on it I guess thats why it was in the thrift store. 1st found manual online and then found this site and pulled the 2 ink pads out, one square on the left hd side and the long one in the middle and cleaned and dried them but it still has the error on it. I will try the 3 button reset.

Do I still need to change the thick one in the back behind the lil door w/screw on it? I lifted it up and it is not wet on top but underneath it is a lil wet. And how do I get it out yank it out or take printer apart?

Thank you for all the help already.

Moca

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (4/18/07 9:35 AM) reply + / -
For the RX500 (should also work on the RX520 but have not tried it)

From a "Cold" start (Printer Off)
Hold down the "Clear + Setup + On" buttons

When the "red" LED near the "Power" button starts to flash let go of the three buttons.

The Display will show one of four messages:
Copy Endurance
Spd up/Slow down
Self start
Rst. Ink OFC

Use the "Select" arrow buttons to scroll to "Rst. Ink OFC"
Press the "Color" button. It will instruct you to "push power sw"
Press the "On" (Power On/Off) button. The printer will do it's thing and turn off.

Your Done.

Note: When the printer throws a "parts within the printer have reached the end of their service life" message and you do the above to clear the "error" the printer thinks you have changed the ink "overflow" absorption pads. They will continue to fill, if they overflow, well you know the mess inkjet ink makes when any of it gets on things you don't want it on. You've been WARNED!

To reach the pads you have to disassemble your printer. For an exploded view of the printer. Start here:

http://www.compassmicro.com/parts.cfm

Shown on page #4 of the exploded view. The pads to clean (or replace, CompassMicro should sell them to you) are: #553 to #556, #540 and #541 (for a total of six pads).

Re: Epson RX600 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by yellowbug (5/30/07 5:56 AM) reply + / -
Could someone please tell me how to change the pads and where to find them and also how to reset the pad counter.

I called Epson and they told me to buy another printer that it was too expensive to change the pads. they gave me a number to call for service and they told me that they charged $85.00 an hour to repair this and that it would probably take about 2 to 3 hours to do it.

Epson has really stuck it to us. Something needs to be done about this. Also I believe that that they have done something to their ink cartridges also. It says to change them but there is still ink in them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of an exploded view of the RX600 to enable me to dismantle mine to get at and clean the ink pads?

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by WaveGuide (5/30/07 4:17 PM) reply + / -
Hello yellowbug,
The waste ink pads are located in the base of the printer. Waste ink is pumped down there from the print head during the cleaning cycles. Epson built in a 'waste ink (or protection) counter' to tell you when the pads are full and need replacing. When the counter decides the pads are 'full', it stops the machine and pops a message to get it serviced.
Usually, this counter is ultra-cautious, meaning the pads will actually take a lot more ink, but it stops working anyway. If the message has only happened once, you can probably reset the waste ink counter to zero and have another long period of printing before it happens again. After this second session, it's probably wise to clean or replace the pads, otherwise they may overflow and cause a mess under the printer.
So how do you reset the protection counter? You need the ubiquitous SSC Utility, which can be downloaded from here:

http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Read the instructions carefully and it should enable you to re-zero the waste ink/protection counter and get things going again.

To get to the pads when you need to, you should do a search on this site using appropriate keywords. The chances are someone has posted a reference to dismantling instructions or even located a service manual for the RX600.

As to the Epson carts telling you they're empty, when it's obviously not so, well that's part of Epson's revenue strategy and should be resisted at all cost. The best advice I have is to use the SSC Utility to manage your cartridges instead of the Epson software (Print Manager I believe it's called). Read the SSC manual to understand its functions. It's well worth the effort. You would be wise to uninstall the Epson Print Manager and use SSC instead. You may have to uninstall the complete Epson suite via the WinXP Control Panel, the reinstall only the Driver and any applications you need from the CD.

Lastly, I'd suggest you replace any Durabrite carts with dye based compatibles. They will cause far fewer problems with blockages. If you keep the printer active, so the head never dries out, it will last for years.

JaX

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by JBEpsonRX500 (10/24/07 3:24 PM) reply + / -
Pad for RX500 all in one:
Lift scanner (as if to change ink cartridge) pad is on left hand side. I used a straightened paper clip to hook out and rinsed under tap then dried with kitchen towel and replaced. Works fine.
Is a messy job, wear rubber gloves.
You then need to reset printer as described above.
And to think I paid a supposedly reputable repairer in Marlow £30 to do this last time! Thought they got a bit defensive when I asked them what they had actually done!

Re: Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (11/19/07 9:37 AM) reply + / -
I need to replace waste ink pads for my rx 500,it was broken, do not know where to buy it.
Thanks, Lillian

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by linda704 (2/8/08 11:24 AM) reply + / -
I tried the Clear, Setup On button procedure to reset the counter. It still didn't work. I opened the back cover and saw that the ink pad was white with no ink visible. I still do not know what the problem is but will go over the cleaning procedures etc. Looks like Epson has some info on the reset on their site. Still would like to know how to get the ink pads at the bottom of the printer out. I have cleaned the left upper pad and the pad on the little "sled" on the right, remembering to attach the springs and reconnect the tiny hose.
So far I've spent a lot of time in labor, I'm working for peanuts just like the guy who originally built this thing LOL

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (3/18/08 9:59 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks for the info on the RX500 did exactly as in the instructions worked a treat, now printing normally again

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by JRB (3/18/08 10:02 AM) reply + / -
This is brilliant post, tried it and it worked first time saved £20+ on service charge. many thanks everyone.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by chant (3/24/08 10:53 AM) reply + / -
Merci beaucoup!I've been at my wits end over this for the past few days here in France! Found this great advice on the 'net, tried it and voila! l'imprimeur marché bien!

Thanks again guys, great stuff!

Stu.

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (7/27/08 3:34 PM) reply + / -
If you look at the diagram, it is almost impossible to get to those parts without taking the whole printer apart. But I think I see how to keep them from collecting ink.

I think that the large white pads at the bottom of the printer are for emergency overflow. There are two main pads that are under the ink cartrage holder at both ends of the run. To access these two pads, do the following:
First, turn your printer ON after you have done the reset proceedure (if needed). Then select "change ink" on the menu. The menu will tell you to open the lid. The ink cartrage holder should have moved out a little.

Next, gently push the holder to the left(away from where it normaly sits). Now unplug the printer from the wall. (this will keep the printer from moving the holder on you. (Make sure you have a flashlight and a helper for the rest!) Now locate a rectagular gray sponge located on the left. Remove carfully with a toothpick or paperclip. It is attached with three small holes. Put into a small plastic container with soap and warm water. Now, under that is what should look like a gray peace of paper (this is the ink sponge). Take it out very carefully with the toothpick (also attached by three holes). Place in water with other pad. That takes care of the left side.

Now the right, you will see what looks like a gray peace of paper on this side also. It is held in place with a small plastic hook. Simply lift to the side and push out from under the hook with toothpick and place in water with other pads. You may need to change the water once, it will get black real quick. Take some paper towel and put the clean sponges on it. They should look almost white now. Dry them with the paper towel, it may take two or three to make sure they are dry.

While they are drying take the oppertunity to clean out the inside of the printer with some Q-tips and maybe a little rubbing alcohal. Use a clean paper towel to soak up any ink inside the printer (under where the cartrages set...lot of ink). Now replace the sponges/pads with the toothpick and you are ready to go.

If you clean these out once a year you should never have to worry about replacing the white pads at the bottom of the printer. And I would reset the counter every time you clean it. Hope this helps.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (11/24/08 3:32 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. The ink pads were to much wet.

As you already know you need to reset the printer and then change the pads.

Well What I did. I just opened the scanner moved the cartridges away. took good quality toilet paper and pressed on the ink pads and near the tank as long as it sucked all the ink out.

When you do that the printer will work normally, maybe you will need to switch it on and off, or reset.

Cheers.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Anonymous (2/13/09 4:48 PM) reply + / -
get a small piece of clear hose about 6" long then pick up a clear plastic square container make a hole in the lid of the container put the hose inside the container and make sure it does not move then there is a access door on the back of the printer take the door off and find the single tubing that the ink flows though and remove that hose and connect your plastic hose tube to that, now instead of your ink filling a pad up you have just gone green. so when your container is full just dump it out, no more pads needed.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by websnail (2/14/09 4:10 AM) reply + / -
Just to note that there's been quite a few folks who've tried the "syringe and pray" approach or dabbing the pads with paper towelling, etc... As a general result they tend to get about one fifth of the ink contained in the pads out as the pads are designed to be super absorbent, not designed to be relieved of the ink/liquid.

Anon's posting above is a pretty good way to DIY a kit but remember that you'll want to use a reasonable diameter tubing (1/16th of an inch absolute minimum inner diameter - wide is better). You'd also be wise to consider hot melt bonding the tube into the lid of the container you use so it doesn't fall out and start spraying your wall and helping "redecorate".

There are also various gotcha's to watch out for like:
- using a bottle instead of a low profile tank
- put the tank on the same level as the printer, not above or below it otherwise you can create a backflow to the head or syphon (which drains your cartridges!) accordingly.

For the slightly wary or those wanting something which just does the job there are kits available. That said, tnthusiasts with time and a little daring can do the above if they can get the tubing.

...and yes I do produce a kit but no, I'm not about to spam, so google away... "waste ink epson" are good search terms for resources, kits and more on the subject.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Bob Moreillon (4/7/09 1:18 PM) reply+1 + / -
Epson warns that if you don't fix the ink pads or buy a new printer, ink will flow out the bottom of the printer.
I bought a flat plastic pan from Target for $5 and set the printer on top of it. Sollution found.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by gentillome (3/3/10 7:29 AM) reply + / -
bonjour je possede une imprimante epson RX-520 il mais impossible de faire reset je voudrai savoir comment faire cordialement

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by marthakerr (12/8/10 5:53 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson stylus photo rx520 and tried holding the three buttons down but it is not working for me. There is no setup button as such but one with a symbol of a screw driver and it is this one that I am pushing down along with the clear and on button. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Re: Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by paroak (3/10/11 2:21 PM) reply+1 + / -
Brilliant! This solved the problem without pain, I've been drying out the pad occasionally with a kitchen towel by dabbing it & holding it there until the towel has absorbed all of the excess ink for some time now, but I didn't get a warning before it just went dead with the "Service Required" comment! Not helpful comments from Epson, basically "Buy new printer!" Love the quality of prints received for a few years but what crap service! Will certainly be looking for another make next time after 3 Epson printers over the last 16 years. Sad that they drive people away!

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by paroak (3/10/11 2:25 PM) reply + / -
The previous message should have read "Brilliant! Waveguides solution has solved the problem on my RX 600 without pain, I've been drying out the pad occasionally with a kitchen towel by dabbing it & holding it there until the towel has absorbed all of the excess ink for some time now, but I didn't get a warning before it just went dead with the "Service Required" comment! Not helpful comments from Epson, basically "Buy new printer!" Love the quality of prints received for a few years but what crap service! Will certainly be looking for another make next time after 3 Epson printers over the last 16 years. Sad that they drive people away!" Thanks for the info.

Re: Epson RX500 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by CG (8/1/11 10:57 AM) reply + / -
For Epson RX600 when the maintenance warning arrives it is usually due to the waste inkpad counter needing to be reset, ideally the waste ink pads to be replaced but what the hey.
To reset and continue printing without the error message follow these key stokes on the printer.
1. Switch off the printer
2. Press the following button simultaneously and hold
STOP, COLOUR, B&W, ON
3. Printer starts up and message comes up counter reset
4. Switch printer Off
5. Switch printer on

It has worked for me twice now.
Had printer since July03 and it
is now Aug11.
I must say this printer is fantastic, never missed a beat, just needs a bit of encouragement now and again, like any old friend.

cghalgh

Re: Re: Epson RX50 Alternate Ink Pad Counter Reset by Pierre - Beryl (9/3/11 7:41 AM) reply + / -
bonjour,
je rencontre la même difficulté que toi : comment reseter un rx520 d'epson?
as tu trouvé comment faire?
merci,

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters