fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/16/05 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and having had a look around, I found the post below by Barbara in the Do u need Help? -HP All-in-One's(Officejet,Psc's)forum and thought that it needed a thread of its own.

"Hi, my printer HP psc 2410 photosmart all in one had a paper jam, after I cleaned it - i.e. took the jamed paper out, it now tells me that there is a carriage jam. I tried to solve it, but don't know how. The cartridge simply does not move anymore. Reseting does not help. It feels like the carriage is stuck, I don't want to brake anything.
Would very much appreciate some advise!!!
Thanks!
Barbara"

I have almost exactly the same problem.

My 2410 announced it had a carriage jam after printing a page when there was only one one page left in the feeder.

Its only 15 months old so I'm not happy.
I've e-mailed HP.

Their advice can be found at:
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/getdoc?doc=c00309172

After the fault occurred and following the instructions at the above URL, I was able to move the carriage by pulling either the top or the bottom of the toothed belt left/right rather than trying to move the carriage itself.

Having moved it to the extreme right I (stupidly?) removed the ink cartridges.

The carriage has now moved back to the extreme left and I cannot move it more than 1cm and, like Barbara I am concerned that I will break it if I try any harder.

The printer just says insert cartridges.

I've just received another e-amil from HP which says:
"Perform a semi-full reset on your PSC 2410 by holding the button combination given below, while plugging in the power cord.
Press and hold # and 6 on the front panel keypad, while plugging in the power cord."

I don't hold out a lot of hope but I'll report back when I've tried it.

After all of this wibble I have two questions:

1. where can I find some instructions on taking the PSC2410 apart?
2. does anyone have any experience of complaints to HP re equipment only just out of warranty?

DonDon

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Stephen (7/16/05 7:21 PM) reply + / -
Are the cartridge latches shut?

The following document applies to the HP 5550, but I believe your machine has a similar mechanism.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

For future reference here's the link to HP Support for the 2400 Series:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/16/05 11:47 PM) reply + / -
Hi Stephen,
The latches definitely seem to be shut.
All of these instructions talk about moving the carriage but I can't move mine.
I think I need to take the printer to bits so that I can see why the carriage is stuck.

Much as I suspected the semi-full reset did nothing to help at all!!!

DonDon

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Stephen (7/17/05 9:27 AM) reply + / -
Note the 5550 instructions have you move it further to the left.

I've had two 5550's brought to me for repair that were fixed with those instructions.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/18/05 1:10 PM) reply + / -
With a lot of fiddling and gentle (!) persuasion I got the carriage to move and re-inserted the ink cartridges.

Guess where the carriage is now - jammed hard up against the left hand side - and it won't go right again.

It definitely won't go any further left.

A tip, and I don't know if its the right thing to do is that I found it easiest to get the carriage to slide by pulling it across using the toothed belt.

Stangely, pulling the bottom bit of the belt seems to have more effect than the top.

The garage wall is starting to look like a tempting option.
I'll never buy an all in one again. You lose everything in on go!

I'll phone HP re repair tomorrow and report back.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Stephen (7/18/05 4:55 PM) reply + / -
DonDon,

I wish you were nearby, at this point I'd like to look at your machine just for the challenge.

Stephen
Eastern Panhandle of WV

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/19/05 12:08 PM) reply + / -
Stephen,
I reckon that 3500ish miles is a bit excessive for a £300 periheral.
I'm still exploring getting it fixed - or taking it apart myself - or offering it up for spares - its such a bugger - its only about 18 months old and doesn't get heavy use.

DonDon

Amersham
Buckinghamshire
UK

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/22/05 5:33 AM) reply + / -
Stephen (or anybody)

I bit the bullet and decided to try to take the PSC2410 apart.
I've now found out how it comes apart and I will document this in due course.

I fear however that I may have damaged the ribon cables whilst dismantling it.

There's a plastic bit which goes into the back of the cartridge carrier which connects the carrier to the toothed belt which didn't seem to be seated properly and catching against some of the "bodywork".

I popped it back in and put it back together again.

Now the carriage seems to move back and forth OK.

Powered it up and every thing seems to come on OK, the carriage parks in the right place and the whole thing make the normal startup whirring sounds.

However, the screen just keeps showing me the egg timer.

I've tried power off #3 power on (reset I think) same with #6 (semi-full reset I think) and same with #9 (full reset I think).

Does any one know if there is a button combination which will run diagnostics ony anything else which might help?

Don Don

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Barbara (7/26/05 1:13 AM) reply + / -
Dear Don Don,
I got so annoyed with this jammed carriage that I had to take a break. On top I’m in the middle of moving so I just couldn’t bother anymore. But – the printer still does not work - surprise surprise – and so I decided to join you again in your brave effort!
In the meantime I have read everything hp told you to do – and I tried without any success. Obviously the carriage is stuck for whatever reason.
Mine is stuck on the right side – but not totally on the right – just as much to the right that I can NOT get the ink cartridges out… It moves about 2 cm back and forth but not fully to the right and not further than these 2 cm to the left. It makes me crazy! It feels like there is something in the way, but as the whole thing is more or less covered up with the plastic frame, there is no chance for me to see what there might be in the carriages way.
I also tried to move it via the toothed belt - or whatever you call that - makes no difference.
Anyway, I thought if you dismantled yours I might as well do that. My main question therefore is: how did you do it? Do you need a special screw driver? The one I have does not seem to grab the screw. And did you find a manual somewhere, or did you just start taking it apart??? I’m a little worried that I won’t get it back together…
Did you make any progress since your last posting or did you settle for the garage wall??

Thanks for your advice,
Barbara

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (7/26/05 10:50 AM) reply + / -
Hi Barbara,
You're going to have to bear with me for a couple of days coz I have my family from Scotland visiting and my two older sons so we have an additional seven people in the house.

If you don't wan't to break it further then please don't start until I get time to tell you what I did.

I should have time Sunday or Monday.

In preparation, the tools I used (or at least should have done):
- Torx T10 or T10H screwdriver (a must)
- indelible marker pen of some sort to mark the ribbon cables
- long nose pliers (optional) they help to put the ribbon cables back.

I haven't resorted to the garage wall yet but in the meantime I bought myself an Epson C1100 colour laser and a Canoscan 4200F.

I'd stiil like the repair the bloody thing just as a backup!!!

Cheers

Don

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Barbara (7/26/05 9:31 PM) reply + / -
Dear Don,
thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I'll be gone for an entire week starting Friday. But I'll do the praparation (buing a T10 and so on) now and then I'll read you 'manual' when I get back. So no rush!
Thanks in advance!
Have a nice time with your family!
Best,
b.

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by BF (8/9/05 11:34 AM) reply + / -
Dear Don,
I just wanted to know, whether you have any special "don't-do-advice" for me, otherwise I'd just start dismanteling my printer...
thanks,
b.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (8/9/05 1:55 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi BF,
Are you Barbara or someone else?

I took my printer apart again at the weekend and took lots of pics.
I haven't bothered to find out how to upload pics to this site so if you want me to e-mail them direct, then let me know.

Ok bear with me and no guarantees!!

1) From the back of the printer, remove the access cover (no tools required).

2) Remove the two Torx (all screws are T10/T10H) screws (one on left and one on the right).

3) A bit of judicious wiggling will allow you to remove this panel.

4) The panel is connected to the guts of the of the printer via a small two wire (I think) connector.

5) Mark this so that you know which way around it goes when you come to plug it back in and then unplug it

Now I think that the next step is optional and if possible should be avoided if you think you only have a mechanical problem with the carriage.

If you have something to rest the scanner bit on or a friend to hold it then avoid doing the following step.

6) There are three ribbon cables and a small four pin connector which attach the scanner/lid assembly to the guts of the printer.
Mark the three ribbdon cables (say A,B,C) so that you know where they came from and mark the 4 pin connector so that you know which way round to put them all back. Then detach them all.

Then you can (regardless of 6) but very carefully if you didn't):

7) Lift the scanner/lid assembly as if you were going to replace an ink cartridge.

8) Apply a small amount of pressure to to the inside of each side of the printer body one side at at time so that the scanner/lid can be lifted past its normal stopping place.

9) The entire scanner/lid can then be lifted away from the printer body.

10) Set the scanner/lid aside or carefully support depending upon whether you did 6).

11) There are now six Torx screws to be removed that hold the part in place which covers the carriage mechanism.

12) After you have removed these and the cover, you are now on your own.

In my case it seemed that the bit connects the cartridge head to the toothed belt had become displaced and was catching on the infrastructure of the printer. I popped it back in and things seemed to improve. (i.e the carriage move freely).

Things to beware of:
I think I bent a pin on the 4 pin connector when I plugged it back in I've straighted it out now and now have a different message on the LCD (see below).
I believe that (having read other bits on this site) that you have to be careful re the clear plastic (reference?) strip which run the width of the printer.

When I power the device on now the LCD message says CYCLE POWER.
Anybody have any ideas? Any joker who say turn it off and on again will get a slap!

Finally for anyone who knows what a Haynes manual is (UK only probably) the re-assembly instructions are the reverse of the above!!

I will wait with baited breath for all success/failure stories.

Cheers

Don

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by BF (8/9/05 5:52 PM) reply + / -
Dear Don,
yes, its me, I had to change the login, because obviously someone had take over 'Barbara' as her login - I had'nt previously registered it.
Anyway thanks so much for your detailed description! Even though the result is not promising yet ;-( I'll give it a try!!
I'd be happy to see your pictures too!!
my e-mail is: fried_barbara@yahoo.de
Would be great if you could send them!
Thanks!
I'll kepp you posted...
best,
b.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (8/12/05 8:12 PM) reply + / -
Hey Don,

I’m not Barbra – This is Nick, but I just wanted to say thanks for a job well done. Your instructions are great.

I was about to just go out and buy a new printer, and thought “what the heck” if I take it apart and can’t get it back together in one piece … “Who cares!”

I was about to do “The Mexican Hat Dance” on this damn thing anyway!

I’m not sure exactly what fixed it, but it’s working after I followed your instructions.

Thanks,

Nick ... "This one was a success!"

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (8/12/05 9:22 PM) reply + / -
Congratulations, Nick!
Unfortunately mine doesn't work!!!!!

But still: thanks so much for you wonderful instructions, Don!!!!
It really helped a lot.
I went even further than you did and took apart the whole thing including the carriage itself.
And in the end I could determine which bit of plastic prevented the carriage from moving in either direction, and I also figuered out how it SHOULD work, but I could not repair it. I think mine is - other than I thought - rather a software problem than a mecanical one.
Just in case you're interested - this is what I did and my diagnosis:
there is a little kind of plastic tray where the cartridges rest, when they are not in use, and over which you slide the cartridges out to change them. In any case, this little plastic thing (black) has the ability to move back and forth (not right-left, but back and forth). The resting-position seems to be in the front and than it moves backwards (and somewhat down) in order to let the carriage move freely to the right and to the left.
For some stupid reason, this thing got stuck in a way, that it blocks the carriage in either direction. I found a tothed wheel on the very right botom of the printer, that allowes for this plastic tray to move back and forth, but in my attempt to move it back mecanically (by using a small screw driver to push the wheel) the tray bangs against the carriage.
There was no way of forcing it as far to the back as for the carriage to be able slide. So I figuered that there rests the software problem. It looks like it is a complicated mechanism, wich elevates the carriage while sliding backwards. But without the printer being pluged in and the programm runnig it just would not do this. ???
So the end of the story is that I put everything back together thinking that I had probalbly demaged one of the many chips and electrical devices and that the printer now would not respond at all.
But - the good news is, it does respond!
It now seems to not work as good as before!
Now it tells me to insert the ink cartridges which I had taken out in the process of dismanteling the carriage and had not put in again....
So I figure the electronics still work, just the carriage does still not move.
But I can only encourage everybody to courageously take their printers apart as they seem to be quite robust - and as Niks exampel shows, sometime it even solves the problem.

So, I'll probably get a new printer!
But thanks again, Don, for your help and cooperation.
Good luck with yours!!!
Should anybody have an idea what in my case still could help - I'm happy for any further advice.
Does anybody have experience with reeinstalling the software for example? Is there something like printer software to downlode??

All the best,
Barbara

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (8/24/05 4:21 AM) reply + / -
tx don, you made my day, looking for the two torx screws on the back made the difference. why didn't i find these in the first place. anyway
pt 4 is the power for the fan and it can only be plugged in one way
after having removed everything and built it back my unit still didn't work, so before putting it in the trash (where I was to put them to begin with)I did the fast access, that is go to point 11 directly, only remove the two front end torx screws and remove the entire left wall of the printer, just wiggle and use a screw driver to get the two buttom hook off.

helas you got a cabrio printer, which allows to monitor the motion in progess and find out what the .... is wrong with the unit

and last:
before you do any of the above, turn the printer to the side (90 degree) and you will see an opening that allows access to the bluewheel and the mechanics of the left side. you may be able to see you problem right there without going through all what is described.

great journey anyway and again cheers and tx to don.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by mzmelinda (8/26/05 9:25 AM) reply + / -
hi all

color me confused, same problem after i installed a new cartridge, carraige now jammed.

only one of u seemed to have fixed the problem using don don's instructions

is there no hope for someone like me who does not want to dissassemble??

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by mzmelinda (8/26/05 9:32 AM) reply + / -
ps, printer less than 1 yr old and infrequently used, i'll be pissed if i ave to buy a new one!

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by DonDon (8/26/05 10:26 AM) reply + / -
Yo mzmelinda
if it's under a year old it must surely be under HP warranty - no?

Anonymous - never did work out if your open-top printer recovered or not!

Me I'm still looking for what "power cycle" means.

Don't know about you guys but its 18:30 here in the UK, its a long weekend and we're of out for a Chinese meal.

Have a good weekend y'all

DonDon

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by mzmelinda (8/26/05 10:33 AM) reply + / -
hey thanks for the response, i actually purchased mine refurbished, worked fine until i attempted to change cartridge.

i actually moved the plastic tray under the carraige back, it was stuck, the carriage now moves! however it continues to read carriage jam error no matter what i do, i also lost a spring in the process, so i doubt that the carriage holder will move back and forth, therefore the ink cartridges will probably dry out...

oh well, what is one to do....i'm off to work...

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Aynscough (8/30/05 4:09 AM) reply + / -
Warranties in the UK

Despite Manufacturer warranties you actually have SIX YEARS WARRANTY with most items purchased in the UK.

If you buy something and it is unusable after a period of time then you are entitled to a percentage of the money originally paid for it.
For example, you bought a notebook computer two years ago for £1200 - the computer is now dead; if the supplier cannot repair the item (at their cost) then you are entitled to the 4 years of 6 of the purchase price back = 4 / 6 * 1200 = £800.

This applies to most goods purchased and your contract is with your supplier NOT the manufacturer.

Speak to Trading Standards, they are very useful and can help.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by dondonlyle (8/30/05 7:11 AM) reply + / -
Hi Aynscough,

I thought you sounded familiar but you'd need to substitute an i for the y in your name! (They supply cranes).

I'm totally familiar with the so called laws and the six year "warranty" in the England (Scotland is 5 or 7) but have you ever tried to make it stick?

I battered my head against a brick wall for a long time with Comet or Currys (can't remember) over a tumble drier which ceased to funtion twice after the first year but before it was 2.5 years old. It was a totatally futile excercise. The rules are woolly and ill-defined and there's no-one to police them.

Each repair would have been 1/3 of the price of the item. (managed the 2nd myself).

Its getting even worse with internet shopping. I had something from Broadband Buyer which I thought had ceased working (it hadn't) but if the item is over 30 days old they just point you straight at the manufacturer - crap!!

DonDon

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Aynscough (edited 8/30/05 9:46 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem but can unjam it as follows:

- Open the cover
- Remove the power from the back of the printer
- Locate the toothed rubber drive band
- With your Right hand hold the top of the band
- With your left hand press down (gently!) on the cartridge carriage
- Now try moving the band in your right hand (gently again) to the left, if the carriage does not release then move the band to the right and back again whilst still applying gently pressure to the front of the cartridge carriage.

KEEP READING!
This released my carriage when it has jammed on the left BUT as soon as I re-applied the power the head went over to the left and jammed again so KEEP READING.....

NEXT:
- Locate the Cover Sensor switch.. It is inside on the right nearest the printhead home position (a hole with a metal disc showing in it)
- Press a Pen gently into the cover sensor switch, keep it there
- Now the scary bit....
- Apply the power and stop the print carriage reaching the left hand edge.. The movement on my printer had minimal strength so a couple of finger stopped it - if you have the nerve.
- You should then get the familiar carriage jam error
- Push the carriage head back towards the right
- Remove power
- Reapply Power

My printer is now working correctly.

(I also applied a little WD40 oil to the bar the carriage travels along but not sure if this was relevent - make sure no oil drips ALSO checked that the clear plastic strip visible across the width of the printer was clean)

Hope this helps, it is worth a try as the Supplier/Manufacturer will not be able to see your attempts so they cannot say you have invalidated your warranty (6 yrs remember)

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Aynscough (edited 9/1/05 1:04 AM) reply + / -
Hi Don

Yes, big yellow ones! The two spellings will be related; I believe there is a gravestone somewhere with both spellings on.

Regarding your "Statuatory Rights" - Trading Standards (TS) are the people to approach. They are the "police". You are not liable for the repair costs - have a look on the TS website or speak to them if you get another problem. I have found them very helpful and friendly in the past.

I had a Notebook from Staples that must have been faulty for at least 6 months of its short 18 month life.... Staples tried to have nothing to do with it (this was before I knew of the 6yr warranty). In the end I sent an email to our Solicitors, after having spoken to them previously and advised them to ignore it, listing the catalogue of issues and asking them to take action - this email was also Carbon Copied to the MD of Staples. Within a couple of housrs, I was offered a full 100% value exchange from Staples - the original NB was 1GHz and cost £1500, my replacement was a 2.5Ghz costing about £1250 so I had a further £250 to spend on goodies - I was happy.

Apparently PCWorld used to be a nightmare as they will make you go to court even though they know they would loose. They hoped you would give up and go away. I suspect a few of the other high street superstore had/have the same morals.

I have just had trouble with Broadband Buyer (BB) as well - received an item that was diagnosed by the manufacturer as faulty so contacted the supplier to return it. I then noticed in the Returns Terms and Conditions that they would pay the return postage up to a maximum of £6.50 but the cheapest way I could find to return it securely was going to cost £6.95. When I contacted them I got the standard BS that it is there "Terms and Condition" so I contacted TS. TS advised me to firstly send a recorded delivery letter stating this was not legal because of blah blah legalise and that they had 7 days to respond... BB did not reply to my letter, so I got back onto TS who said they will take action. I later got a phone call from TS asking where it said on the BB website of the £6.50 limit. BB changed there terms and conditions. All this was for just 45p but I am a stubborn sod and won't take any cra*.

I still use, and would, recommend Broadband Buyer but the Customer Services department need a good kick up the ar**. They are good for technical advice but terrible at customer care.

The moral of this VERY long story - stick to your rights and take no BS.

Regards, Stephen

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by pctech (8/31/05 10:24 PM) reply + / -
Hi all i have the same printer but a different problem. Mine won't power on. I called Hp but as always them guys don't know they just read from a book as they talk I think. I know the problem is either the main board or the power supply to the unit.
The power supply has 16 volts on one side and 32 on the other like it should but when I connect it to the all in one I hear a click and there is no volts coming out the power cord then. I removed the main board so that no cables were hooked up to eliminate all other parts from causing this. It still does the same thing. Once you unplug the power cord and replug it back in to the outlet it has the correct power again. I found out from Hp if it's the board out the door it goes cause they won't sell you that part but it's ashame to trash it when it is like new and had hardly ever been used. If anyone knows if the power cord has some type of relay or protector switch please let me know of if by any chance you know of a way to get a board for it.

Re: HP PSC 1500 by pinkvenus24 (2/17/06 6:32 PM) reply + / -
Hello, please help! I have a 1500, the copier works but I cant get it 2 print or scan. I have had 2 people look at it and They dont know what is wrong either. Ithink it is somthing simple but dont know what. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have manually installed. I dont know what to do any more. I get a message stating that the documents are stuck in Q. It did a test page once and thats it. So I know that the printer is fine and not defective. I have had it for 3 weeks and still cant get it to work. Have any advice?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (3/3/06 7:34 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem, but turning the printer on whilst on its side seemed to fit it - go figure!

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Lyntonius factor (10/10/06 10:35 PM) reply + / -
hay guys i found the problem!!!!!!!!!!
seriously....
if your printer head keeps getting stuck on the right hand side and moves like 1 or 2cm then do this....
take the thing apart, have a look at the back of the printer head, you will c a big white runner, it sits on the run bar and moves the printer head back and forward, now that white clip is connected to the stepper motor via a belt , this belt again is connected to a plastic clip thingy, (for want of a better words)

this plastic clip thingy drives the white clip which inturn moves the printing head, ... yes sounds complex, open your printer ... its not complex...
so anyway... this clip thats attatched to the stepper belt is connected to the white printer head by 2 rubber clips, now those clips tend to break off!!!!! thus causing the printer clip and the belt clip to seperate, causing the belt clip to faul and jam the heads movement, Yes the head still moves BECAUSE the stepper motor wants to and the belt clip is still in the way,

soooooOOOOooOOoo

what i did was take out the printer head clip and the vbelt clip, i drilled 2 small holes into the vbelt clip and the printer head clip, then i put 2 small screws through and thus sticking the 2 back together again,

i know im leaving out all small detauls, but do this, its not hard, then put everything back together again, you will c the printer head moves freely and can print again... mine is working fine now, took me 2 hours to find figure it out and to fix it and put it all back together,,,,

post me if u wanna know wanything more, but im off to lectures...
chow

Re: HP PSC 2410 cycle power by oasys_abhi@rediffmai (10/29/06 11:39 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP psc 2410 photosmart printer. on the display screen it gives a message of "cycle power" when i plug in the power.
can anyone help.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (12/19/06 10:41 PM) reply + / -
DonDon, Did anyone ever reply to your "power cycle" error message? I have taken my printer apart due to the carriage not moving problem and receive the same error. I think the problem is the thick white belt on the inside became disconnected when I had the top off. I have reconnected but have same error. Please let me know if you ever found a solution. Thanks, Kristi

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (10/11/07 11:34 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. Did you ever get yours fixed or did you buy a new printer?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by sirdoug69 (edited 12/4/07 12:14 PM) reply + / -
My carriage got stuck on the left side. With the slightest touch, the carriage broke free from the belt. Now the carriage moves freely obviously because the belt is no longer attached.

I would have to assume this all happened because my clip was becoming loose and I gave it the extra kick it needed.

I can't find any clip that holds the carriage to the belt. I shook the printer upside-down and did not see anything fall out. Can you tell me what the clip looks like and/or how I can
order a new part? HP's parts Web site is no help.

Assuming I find the part, I just flip up the white plastic flap from the carriage and slide the clip over the belt and onto the white flap, right?

Many Thanks,
SirDoug

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (2/12/08 3:14 PM) reply + / -
I have the same "cycle power" on my hp 2410xi printer. How do I get taken car of?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (5/16/08 3:37 AM) reply + / -
"Despite Manufacturer warranties you actually have SIX YEARS WARRANTY with most items purchased in the UK.

If you buy something and it is unusable after a period of time then you are entitled to a percentage of the money originally paid for it.
For example, you bought a notebook computer two years ago for £1200 - the computer is now dead; if the supplier cannot repair the item (at their cost) then you are entitled to the 4 years of 6 of the purchase price back = 4 / 6 * 1200 = £800.
"

Reality unfortunately kicks in here and as a small Value added retailer I would have to sell that £1200 item for about £3000 to hope to stay in business. you can demand bargain prices and replace the unit every 2 years or you can demand quality and pay a lot more. What you should be demanding at the least is that they make these printers repairable. which they are not. What you wont get is much help when the margin on these things is about 5%.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 cycle power by Anonymous (5/20/08 10:38 PM) reply + / -
I got the same problem in my Hp PSC 2410. Can anyone help me?????????????????

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by puck (8/5/08 3:18 AM) reply + / -
That semi full reset doesn't work. I know i did it right. When you plug it back in it says "semi-full reset"

Re: Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (8/5/08 3:27 AM) reply + / -
Mine had started on the left side, it would stick a little. That woud stop it from printing. I thought that if I would shove it over to the other side it would be fixed.NO now its a full jam, won't even move if I use the toothed belt. I have a month until school I need help NOW!!!

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by mdiggles (11/17/08 9:15 PM) reply + / -
Hi Don,

Your instructions worked great. One bit perhaps I didn't read correctly: after I pulled the six Torx screws under the scanner, there are little hook latches you must push down in the inside to release the outside slabs to go away to the outsides farther.

My hangup badboy was the tin clip that holes the ribbons that follow the ink carriage. The rightmost bit of it was bent up and caught the back of the carriage. It formed a little triangle of spring sheet metal about two mm on a side. I bent it back and all is well.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Ann Lippard (11/20/08 6:53 PM) reply + / -
My error message is paper jam but there is no paper jam. The carriage suddenly stops a quarter way after leaving the left side. The blue sensor light that shines down stays on. I can manually move the carriage by unplugging the power cord on the back. It seems to me that the mechanism below the ink cartridges on the right does not move as it should. I can manually move it with pressure, back and forth. I don't know if there is a signal that it is not getting or if it the carriage that is not getting the proper signal. I have watched this by holding down the sensor for the print cartridge access door and having the top open. Has any one encountered this type of problem? HP was no help, I have done all the # 3, # 6, power button, cancel button, etc. to no avail. Thank you, Ann

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by PatiM (12/16/08 10:52 PM) reply + / -
ok. a couple of posts have touched on the subject of the little clear ribbon running across the back, behind the cartridges. THATS my problem. the left side has become detached, darn cat. anyone know where it's supposed to be connected?? it seems too long. help??

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Bert (12/17/08 7:45 AM) reply+1 + / -
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name and I'll send you some photos.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Bert (12/17/08 7:45 AM) reply+1 + / -
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name and I'll send you some photos.

Re: Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Anonymous (2/28/09 10:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi DonDon,

Thanks for the instructions. I managed to get my printer back into life, but the cartridge still keeps jamming.

Tim
Amersham

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by triplejgang (3/31/09 8:45 PM) reply + / -
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that i found a fix for this problem. As many things can cause this message, I don't know if this is necessarily you problem. But here is something to check.
Open the front of your printer. with power off see if the carriage will slide left to right easy, if not or gets stuck in middle area take a flashlight and look up inside the top where the carriage slides back and fourth and see if there is a small piece of metal sticking up, if so. take a butter knief and gently push it down and then see if carriage slide freely. If so your done. if not then this wasn't your issue and i wish you the best of luck.

Joe

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage by Joseph Scerri (5/26/09 2:44 AM) reply + / -
I need instructions and illustrations of the cartridge carrier.It seems I lost the part that holds the printed circuit board and the photo-electric cell in place on the right side.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/27/09 2:40 PM) reply + / -
Thanks DonDon excellent instructions. Found a small piece which clips onto the bar but I do not know how to put it back.

Pictures placed here http://www.howtofixanything.co.uk/howto-410.html

Can anyone help me?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by moe (8/27/09 2:53 PM) reply + / -
The carriage drive belt clips into that piece. Then it sits on top of the carriage rail and the carriage assy. sits on top of it on either side of those rubber bumpers.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/27/09 4:13 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info. But I have looked at this for ages but just cannot see where it goes.
It doesn't look like there is enough space between the bar and assy to fit it.
Do I have to remove the carriage assy to fit it?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by moe (8/27/09 4:57 PM) reply + / -
Yes it has to come off.. The carriage assy. has 2 legs that go onto the carriage rail. That sled goes between them. Don't forget that the belt has to be clipped into it or it can't move on the rail.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/28/09 2:07 PM) reply + / -
Sorry to be a pain Moe but I have now fitted the part.
I have now placed it under or behind the assembly but the print carriage now does not move freely.

Should it move freely before I plug in the power?

Pictures added http://www.howtofixanything.co.uk/howto-410.html

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by moe (8/28/09 2:12 PM) reply + / -
Yes, it should move freely. Can't tell anything from the pics. I suspect you don't have the top of the assembly installed properly. You should be able to tell what it is hanging up on by moving it back and forth as much as it will go. Not much else I can do for you without seeing how you messed up with the installation.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/28/09 2:25 PM) reply + / -
Right got it to move freely now but can't attach it to the cable. Do you know if I could be missing a clip or othe part?

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/28/09 2:32 PM) reply + / -
posted pictures again and made bigger http://www.howtofixanything.co.uk/howto-410.html

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by moe (8/28/09 2:49 PM) reply + / -
I see it is moving freely, but without the belt attached, it isn't going to go anywhere. That original piece in the pic is the sled that the belt attaches to. There should be a ribbed channel in it that the belt slots into. If you look at the first pic, there are 2 rubber pieces that look like an "I" The belt gripping part should be on one side of it. They do break off.

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by petercon (8/28/09 2:57 PM) reply + / -
Thanks moe your a star!!, that's exactly what has happend.

Oh well you live and learn, a positive from a negative
will know next time, thanks for all your replies,

PC

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by inova01 (9/10/10 9:48 AM) reply + / -
thanks

solucione el problem viendo la pagina

se me habia olvidado como resetear

y que reconociera mi cartucho como nuevo la hp

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by Kevin F. Toon (2/21/11 10:01 PM) reply + / -
Hi All,

I too get the "Carriage Jam" message (interestingly, though the manual covers just about everything from soup to nuts, it is strangely silent about fixing this problem). My difficulty is a little bit different from what I've seen on this post. By hand, I can move the carriage freely from both left to right. However, when I power the machine up it gets stuck at EXACTLY the same spot about 1/4 length to the left. I see the green sensor light. It just won't move at that one particular point.

I've considered the possibility that it may be the ribbon itself, so I ordered a new one from Partshere.com (Canada). Their response was very fast, so if you need a new part you might try them.

In the meantime I'm thinking that maybe the ribbon itself is dirty or smudged. But it is impossible to clean it (glass cleaner plus paper towel is recommended) because it's almost impossible to get at.

Therefore taking the printer apart seems to be necessary in order to thread the thing properly or clean it.

I've tried all the HP "solutions" and their help desk and they are all worthless.

Does anyone have a similar problem? How did you go about trying to fix it?

Kevin Toon

Re: HP PSC 2410 Carriage Jam by moe (2/21/11 10:54 PM) reply + / -
I clean them all the time with paper towel and Window Cleaner. It's not impossible. Just dampen the paper towel, reach in and fold it on either side of the ribbon and clean one half. Then move the carriage over and clean the other half. You have to be careful not to exert sideways force, lest you pull one end off. Just repeat until the damp part of the towel no longer has ink on it.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters