fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages!

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by trev260764 (6/7/05 12:47 PM) reply + / -
Hi there. Maybe someone can help? I note that a number of posts have been made regarding my problem – but my problem still exists!! I have just installed new genuine cartridges, and they worked fine in my CX5400 for a couple of pages. Then the cyan stopped working. Now none of the colours print, only blank pages. I noted on the net that a common fault of this printer is that a small tube sometimes becomes detached during cartridge replacement. I have dismantled the printer and checked this and it is OK. I read that another common fault is that the heads become clogged. I ordered a repair ‘kit’ from fix-you-own-printer.com (cleaning fluid & syringe), this I have used and the fluid pours out of the print-head, onto kitchen roll - so obviously no problem here. The ‘ink-monitor’ clearly recognised my new cartridges and showed 100% level when initially installed. Now the level is approx 60% due to all the testing, and I have only 2 pages of print to show. I have attempted dozens of nozzle-checks and head-cleans – enough to use 40% of the ink anyway…No luck with ANY printing, and I’m not sure where the ink has actually gone! Any ideas appreciated??

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Wes (6/11/05 9:37 AM) reply+4 + / -
There are two other causes. Check the end of the ink purge tube and the whole tube for clogs. Also the pump can be failing.

I hope this helps,

Wes.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Greg Daniels (9/24/05 5:05 AM) reply + / -
I have just spent time replacing the plastic tube and putting the printer back togeather again to find that after printing one page the tube came off again causing me to have to pull it all apart again. Epson have a design problem and should be attending to this problem as a recall and not a repair. Has anyone had a good experience with having the problem resolved by Epson free of charge

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Stephen (9/24/05 6:34 AM) reply + / -
As plastic ages it loses it's flexibility, so having once popped off the tube just doesn't fit as tight when you reinstall it.

I don't work on Epson often, but generally speaking clipping a little bit off the end of the tube before you reinstall it will make it fit tighter, (assuming it's long enougn.

Also installing a small cable tie around the end of the tube might work.

One tech I know glues the tubes to the fittings.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by miktay (10/17/05 7:13 PM) reply + / -
You folks are depressing me. I thought I purchased the greatest thing since sliced bread but now I am discovering thatI might have been had like the average fool. My CX5400 is approximately 2 years old and I am experiencing all those things discribed in prior responses. I am sure I'll try some of the repairs but it sounds like replacment is the only option. Next time I'll check the web postings before buying. The man got me. This time I intend to get him. Wish me luck.

MKT

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Phillip (10/18/05 2:17 PM) reply + / -
Hello you can add my name to the list. I purchased a CX5400 2 years ago after doing pretty good research, but I guess not good enough. I was getting so fed up with the high price of cartridges that I purchased a set of refilled cartridges from a local company here in Seattle. I installed the Black cart. first it seemed to work fine for a few days then one day it printed a page of very faint lines. The following page was blank and has been so ever since. I looked inside the cover and noticed the transparent tube that was full of what looked like coagulated ink. I thought that my problem had something to do with the refilled cart. but after reading this board and others I guess it doesn't really matter.

I have experience working as a computer repair tech so I had little trouble disconnecting the scan unit removing the cover then the print carriage. Sure enough the discharged tubes were so full of dried ink don't think I could clean without damaging the tube. I cleaned it as best as I could put it all back together but still get the blank pages. So now I am ordering the entire ink purge assembly P/N 1417196 from CompassMicro in Oregon (found as a link on support.epson.com). I also had to order the discharge tube P/N 1265055 as well the whole thing costs less than $25. If this works will order another set if this is going to happen every 2 years. I really like the product we as users ask for a lot of functionality for just $150 bucks but just the same I should have stuck with HP. Will let you know how it turns out.

P.S. If you're going to tear one of these things apart put a thick drop cloth on your work area. You'll need it...

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/5/05 8:27 AM) reply + / -
At the high profit of $8000.00 per gallon for Ink, you'd think they could afford to make the printers last just a bit longer, but as much ink as you find in the little dump tray, you start to realize they want you to discard the thing before the tray gets full so you don't realize how much money you've flushed down the loo.

Thought I'd learned my lesson 10 years ago! by mrblanche (11/20/05 8:23 AM) reply + / -
I bought this CX5400 about a year and a half ago, and I thought long and hard about it. I had a Epson Stylus Inkjet that died in the middle of printing my taxes about 10 years ago. Took it to the repair shop, and they informed me that the problem is that on on Epson, you only change ink cartridges. On an HP, you change the cartridge AND the print head every time you change the cartridge. I bought an HP 620 then, and it's still working for my brother 10 years later. This CX5400 is dead, unless I can work some magic on it.

No one mentioned where the print carriage should be before you start disassembly.

Mike

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by PeterFLA (12/5/05 6:32 PM) reply + / -
Does anyone know how to reset the chip in cartriges that belongs to this printer? Do I have to do that before, or after refilling cartrige? What is the method?
Thanks

Peter

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by easyrefills.com.au (12/5/05 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Hi Peter, Best you reset your cartridge before you refill it, its alot easier.To reset the cartridge you will need a universal chip resetter. On the resetter you have 9 points which have to match up with the chip on your cartridge. The resetter will start off red and needs to go green which will mean that the cartridge is ready to go..Hope this helps

Re: Epson CX5400 how to dissassemble by Pes (12/6/05 9:07 AM) reply+1 + / -
I'd appreciate some help in how to dissassemble the CX5400. I have the screws undone from below and above and want to know if I need to remove the electronic ribbons to remove the scanner section. Next how do I separate the beige upper section from the darker grey lower section? If you can give me some idea of which way the plastic snaps, i.e. towards the front, the rear, straight up, help!
I am handy and have tools. Once this is apart, I don't have any doubt that I will be able to unclog the tube that everyone here seems to be complaining about.
Thanks so much in advance.
pes

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by lynmac2004 (12/17/05 11:11 AM) reply + / -
I bought the CX5400 exactly two years ago (after much research), and I have been quite happy with it - until this week, when it stopped printing, and cleaning the cartridges did not help. When I saw this thread I decided that, not being mechanically inclined, I will just "freecycle" the printer (if anyone would want it). Eventually I will buy a new one - but which kind?! Meanwhile, I will use my Epson 300 Photo printer for the few things I need each week.

Until it, too, gives up...

Merry Christmas!
Lynda

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Da3dalus (1/20/06 4:09 PM) reply + / -
Ditto on the dead CX5400. Still never got the rebate from the Apple deal!
I tried the syringe/fluid thing, and got the color cartriges to work, and have now used up 4 completely new cartriges... at about the same cost as a new printer! Still no black. I'm pretty handy, but it sounds like cleaning the purge tube is iffy at best. I'm done!
On the "green" side... Epson does have a recycle program at:
http://www.epson.com
It costs $10, including FedEx, and they give you a $5 coupon. Yes, it's a total ripoff. They should at least match the cost. I would hope that some people would still use this option, at least so they can get an idea of the volume of trashed printers out there (and be good to the Earth)! Geez, I still have the box!
$5 won't compel me to buy another Epson. However, I have had failed printers from HP, Canon, and Brother, too. The only one that never died was my OLD Olivetti dry-ink!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by soupy (edited 9/22/06 7:15 PM) reply + / -
The CX5400 has a Preferred Loyalty program, in the US at least.

Call Tech Support. After a minimum of troubleshooting, they'll transfer you to a CR rep who'll offer you several options, including a free repair.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by CMBid (2/26/06 12:42 PM) reply + / -
Guess I'm the lucky one. My Epson CX5400 lasted until my FORTH black, third cyan, third magenta catridge before it died (about 2 years). The problem began when the cyan and magenta needed replaced. I could never get them to work again after replacement. With the color cartridges full I printed black only for a week or two. Stupid me, I believed the Epson troubleshooting info when it said my next step was to try new cartridges. So I bought the black one too. Ugh! I tried everthing suggested to clean and repair with similar results as eveyone else; still printing blank pages. Unfortunatly it waited until I spend $60+ on cartridges to die.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by dgersten (3/14/06 6:17 PM) reply + / -
Thanks soupy!

I appreciate your post. I was having these same symptoms - 2 year old printer, changed the black cartridge and no longer printed black; bought another black cartridge - still no black. I am stubborn and bought the remaining colors and replaced all but yellow (kind of hard to read just yellow).

I called Epson and told them that I replaced cartridges, did multiple head cleanings, reseated the cartridges, and let the printer sit overnight turned off. The guy said that opening an incident would be a cost because it was out of warranty but the technician wouldn't have me do anything more than I did. He transfered me to customer loyalty and they offered me three options:

1) upgrade to the RX620 for $159 (after $100 rebate)
2) free repair (they send shipping label and return printer after 10-14 business days)
3) $40 certificate for use at the Epson store

I actually asked to be transfered to Customer Relations where I wanted both the $40 certificate and the free repair because I now have an extra black cartridge and they told me that even with a punctured seal the cartridges last at least 6 months (put it in a zip lock bag he suggested). Wasn't totally satisfied, but I went with the free repair because I definitely wasn't letting my $100 investment in ink go down the drain! Hopefully my extra black cartridge will still be good when I need it.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mkk1 (3/25/06 4:57 PM) reply + / -
Wow... I just got back from buying and installing new cartridges, because 2 days ago it said my ink was low and all of a sudden this morning it started printing blank pages. I can 't believe I went and bought the cartridges before checking online. I've had this printer 2 years and changed the cartridges 3 or 4 times. this sucks

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by angeandbrian (3/29/06 1:12 PM) reply + / -
So basically 2 years to the day my printer starts printing BLANK pages, which led me to google, where I searched "Epson CX5400," which led to me to all of these posts. Of course I already spend something like $60.oo replacing all the cartridges, only to still have blank pages. I ran out to Target this morning to buy a 26.00 printer (that included a cartridge) just so that I can survive temporarily. I'm calling Epson right now to give them a piece of my mind...how can they sell this piece of junk (I paid good $$$), knowing that this problem happens only 2 years into the life of the printer! I'll let you know what they tell me!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by ldvirdjera (3/31/06 9:19 PM) reply + / -
I am in the inkjet media business so I have 20 to 30 printers at all times. My Epson's tend to do odd things. My CX5400 was about 14 months old when the exact same thing happened as you all posted. It started with the cyan cartridge and within a day was printing blank pages.
After I gave it away to a friend who just needed a scanner, I got a new "visa debit card". There was a flyer included that said when you purchase something with your vias debit card, it doubles your warrenty. Epson's warrenty is one year. With Visa it is two years. I can't take my printer back from my friend, but I am going to see if I still can get a refund from Visa.
If you used a Visa, see if you can get the double warrenty!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by WendyVendor (4/4/06 9:23 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much for the tidbit about the free repair option despite being out of warranty - my CS5400 failed suddenly like the others here - wouldn't print at all until it sucked up three new ink cartridges and then only badly, despite repeated head cleanings. Epson Customer Relations did NOT mention the free repair option to me until I called back.

Here's what I did:
1) Went to Epson.com: Home > Support > Epson Stylus CX5400> Contact Support > E-mail

2) Explained my issue. Received an email back with trouble-shooting steps. This email says if that doesn't work to call Tech Support and tell them that you received an email telling you the $9.95 per incident fee is to be waived.

3) Called tech support. After establing that printer could not be home-fixed, they transferred me to customer relations. At this point TELL THEM that your system failed abruptly, that you understand that others have had the same issue and that a free repair is an option despite being out of warranty.

You may be able to get the free repair even if you skip step 1 - just call 562-276-1311. They mail you a label, you ship the printer to them at their cost, they return it to you.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by MrBlankOne (4/10/06 2:18 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. Luckally I came across this post before I went out and bought a new printer! After determining that the issue was a hardware problem they transfered me to a customer rep. The rep offered to give me access to password protected section of the website with discounted printer offers and give me the phone number to the closest service center. I mentioned that I was under the impression that because this was a common problem with this printer there was a free repair option. After looking something up, he said he could offer me that option. I'm now egerly waiting for my pre-paid shipping label to come in the mail. Moral of the story: you may have to remind them of the free repair option :)

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/13/06 5:49 PM) reply + / -
My CX5400 was printing blanks even after cartridge tests and head cleanings did nothing. Here is what I did:
Called 562-376-1311. Rep gave me 3 options: 1. An offer to upgrade to a better printer for $100, 2. a $40 on-line crdit to purchase whatever at epson.com or 3. free repair of my CX5400. I took the last option.
Got the prepaid labels in the mail 6 days later, sent the unit back in the original box on 4/3. Today (4/13), I received via Fed Ex and brand new CX-7800. My sister and her friend had CX5400 units and got new CX-7800 as well within the last two weeks. Is this Epson's new strategy?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/14/06 8:49 PM) reply + / -
Thanks to all for this post. I will send this piece of crap back to Epson... .just so it costs them money.

I liked the individual ink cartridges over my HP, but my 5 year old HP GX85 is STILL WORKING! Next time, I know what I will buy.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by anonymous (4/22/06 3:49 PM) reply + / -
Aame problem as everyone on this board. the CX5400 started creating some inconvienent blank lines after my fourth ink cartiledge exchange, and just stopped printing after the fifth.

I've read some of the instructions to fix it and I have found what seems to be problem but have no clue on how to properly dismantle. I am really considering whether i will make another purchase from Epson again

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anne Onamuss (4/29/06 11:01 PM) reply + / -
So has any brave soul who has received an Epson repaired CX5400 had the nerve to see if the guts are the same as the one giving so much trouble? Or have they modified something?

I guess it's just curiosity since it'd be better to let them do it since they seem willing. Although the repair-turned-upgrade to CX7800 sounds sweet too! I'd be interested to hear what DOES happen when one send in their 5400 for repair. How many get the upgrade; how many get the repair; how many get the mine and how many get the shaft.

Anne Onamuss

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by zorbo (4/30/06 3:57 PM) reply + / -
same CX5400 story here.
although I am quite upset, I am also a bit relieved and satisfied to have found this page with all the other people with the same problem.

unfortunately, I am not from the US and the free repair is not an option to me.

I have completely disassembled the printer to get a closer look at the print head (I did this before reading this page) and cleaned it with distilled water.

maybe you can help me with the following.

after complete disassembly of the print head, do I re-assemble it with water in the nozzles, or with dry nozzles? (I somehwere read that putting the printer in action with dry nozzles will kill them completely?).

if it turns out that I killed the print head in the process of all my cleaning and probing, I considered replacing the print head. Print heads as a replacement item come at roughly 100 USD. I was thinking about buying a cheap defective epson printer on ebay (no wonder they are being sold in the dozens for a dollar each, all showing the same symptoms described on this page) and cannibalize it for the print head (which hopefully will survive my cleaning attempts better). There are many more C82 printers compared to CX5400s. Since they supposedly share the same print head system, I was thinking of buying a C82.
I am not sure if indeed both models have the same print head type. Some replacement item dealers list the print head F146010
for the whole C82 / CX 5200 / CX 5400 family, while sometimes the C82 print head is called F141020 and supposedly unique to the C82.
can anyone shed light on this for me? please ??

thanks !!

zorbo

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Michael H. (4/30/06 5:34 PM) reply + / -
I know this thread is old. I have the same prob. I finally called Epson. They offered to repair my printer for free and ship both ways. I am going that route. All ya gotta do is call and have your serial number ready.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by S.Lang (5/6/06 11:33 PM) reply + / -
Let me start off witha warning for those who want to buy this. Don't, it is a piece of junk. That makes me feel better!

Anyway, I had the same problem - after a year or two, the printer stoped printing black immediately after a replacement. I checked the ink purge tube connection and it was fine, I completely flushed out the drain tube, and after re-assembling the printer I did a few head cleanings.

The pages still come out completely lacking black. Anyone have any ideas besides returning the printer? Thanks!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (5/7/06 8:16 AM) reply + / -
We have a CX6400, too, and I am in the same boat as everyone else on this post. This is our last Epson ever...

Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mkrmarks (5/9/06 10:55 PM) reply + / -
Nothing new, but like everyone else it feels good to get this out. I purchased a CX5400 and it lasted about six months. I was able to exchange it while under warranty. But now the replacement has quit as well after only 18 months. It just suddenly stopped printing ink.

I dissmantled it and discovered that the tube everyone speaks of did in fact come apart, so I carefully superglued it back together. None of the lines were plugged. However, after following the prescribed course of action, it still just spits out blank pages.

This will be the one and only Epson I've ever wasted my money on. Epson would be wise to issue a recall if they expect to stay in business.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by epsonshmepson (5/11/06 1:41 PM) reply + / -
My CX5400 was fantastic until a few days ago, then stopped printing black completely in the middle of a print run. I've wasted two evenings cleaning and two new cartridges.. nuthin' I just wish I'd gone on the web first and saved my time. Before I throw my under-two-year-old investment in the skip, can anyone tell me if Epson operate their free repair policy in the UK? And what if you are using non original cartridges? I thought the failure was my fault, not heeding the threatening warnings from my printer when non-Epson cartridges were fitted. I'm pleased (wrong word) to see I could have spent even more money on Epson Cartridges for the same result. My last printer was an HP Deskjet 550 colour which just plain wore out after over ten years of uncomplaining service. No prizes for guessing what name will be on the front of my next purchase.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by joegranger (5/15/06 6:22 PM) reply + / -
Over the years I have been the most loyal Epson printer user the Mac has ever seen.
Up until now, that is.
Both my CX5400 and C82 started printing blank pages recently and no matter what I tried, they will not print.
Then, I got a query in the mail about a class action lawsuit against Epson about these two printers. But, I won't even give Epson the satisfaction of trying to win me back as a customer.
To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump with the Epsons!
HP her I come!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Saltydog (5/19/06 8:59 PM) reply + / -
Hey all, glad I was also able to find I wasn't just going nuts alone to find the printing just stops but machine seems to be mechanically functioning beautifully. Epson engineers need to figure out how to make the mechanical action match the inking and... presto/chango... there you have it. A printer that actually... prints. My daughters' CX6400 is ~ 2 years old has been used extensively for art work and done great until last month. 1 color... then another... then only yellow.... then... well you know the rest. Altho I am pretty savvy at repair work , I've got better things to do with my time and will not waste more on this repair.
What do you all prefer for combination Printer/scanner machines? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by blkp80 (6/5/06 6:30 PM) reply + / -
These printers are possessed! Just when I really needed them the most! Time sensative printing...........no time to wait for even a week.
AND do they do this free repair thing in Canada?
I agree that this should be recalled as defective........we should not have to getting our hands covered with this cancer causing ink.

What's this I hear about the class action suit???

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/10/06 11:54 AM) reply + / -
there is no free repair in Canada, and you can find info on the class action www.epsonsettlement.com

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/12/06 10:00 AM) reply + / -
A follow up to my earlier post: This is of possible interest to UK Epson users.

I emailed Epson technical support outlining in detail all the procedures I had tried (Multiple cleaning, two new cartridges, cleaning with syringe and cleaning fluid etc). I recieved an automated reply to say a support team member would reply shortly.

Sure enough, in a few days I received an email.... telling me to try using the cleaning routine and if that doesn't work, try fitting a new cartridge as it may have run out.

Taking a deep breath I telephoned tech support (number on their website.) Spoke to a nice enough chap but could get nowhere on getting a free repair. He said it was my fault for using non original cartridges! I said I could cite a dozen places on the Net where people had used Epson cartridges and had the same problem and did he want a list? (He didn't) He offered me a refurbished CX5400 for £93 with a 12 month warranty. (I paid £109 including carriage for mine when new!) I was also offered a discount on a photoprinter. Thanks but if I'd wanted a photoprinter I'd have bought a photoprinter, and what makes you think I want a photoprinter from the company that won't repair my printer/scanner?

I eventually phoned a local repair centre for Epson who said the cost of repair would be more that the unit was worth, and offered a DX4800 at £99. Again, why would I do that?

Eventually I had such a backlog of printing to do I went to PC World and bought a Canon all-in-one, as the HP I wanted was not in stock. The Canon software seems a bit clunky (Same could be said of Epsons software) but at least I now have something that prints when I click 'print' !!!

So good luck to anyone trying to get satisfaction in the UK... Epsom Sucks.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by blkp80 (6/12/06 4:14 PM) reply + / -
well that is a real drag.........I called Epson Canada and got a $60 store credit - only good for 30 days. They were going to give us nothing because the printer was bought 1 1/2 yr ago. But when we mentioned that there had been a class action suit which had been settled in USA, they coughed up the $60.

Did you know that there was also some sort of suit in Europe that they also lost?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by nathaniel (6/23/06 10:56 PM) reply + / -
I fix these for a living and have fixed litterally over 100 of them. I see a main problem adressed here but its not the only problem. The nozzels themselves also become clogged as well as the waste tube. Its a two part job.

1.Once you have cleaned out the waste tube. (i personally use a 1/4" suringe full of alcohol and force the clogeed ink out the other side, long as their a paper towl to catch the ink).
2. take a suringe full of DISTILLED WATER and place it over the ink nozzels (can be found when ink cartrige is removed.) and force the distilled water through the other side, if you cannot force it through with a suringe, its either too clogged to be helped or you may want to look at forcing a cleaning solution through it.

The basic issue will be the wate tube, but if you still see blank or jsut a few colors, means certain nozzels are also clogged.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Raya (edited 6/25/06 3:06 PM) reply + / -
This is not about the Epson CX5400, but it is about blank pages. I doubt the causes for my blank pages are the same as for your blank pages, but I'll just throw my problem into the mix for the heck of it. The worst I can do is add to the mystery.

I bought an Epson 1280, brand new, 2 years ago. Wanted to dedicate it to black and white printing, so at the same time ordered a couple of sets of Lysonic Quad Black Inks. Only in the last few days did I get around to setting up the 1280 and installing the Lysonic Quad inks. Well, the printer goes through the motions of printing (you can see it is working on whatever you're trying to print) but all I get are blank pages. Now, the ink cartidges were still factory sealed, and no ink cartridges were ever loaded in the printer so there was never any ink in the printer to dry out. It has been sitting quietly undisturbed all this time. I would try the Epson full colour ink set that came with the printer just to see if this was somehow an Original Equipment versus an unreliable third-party supplier issue, (I sincerely doubt it since Lyson is a reputable manufacturer and probably makes a lot of the inks the printer makers use) but I gave the original ink-set to a friend (also in the last few days). He put them in his Epson 1280. They worked fine. I really don't think the problem is with the ink. Can nozzles dry out even though they were never used?

For what it's worth, I also have an Epson Stylus C82 which has indeed dried out from time to time and produced blank pages for a while, but only needed to be used a little to once again print perfectly well.

As I said, the causes of my blank pages don't appear to be related to the causes of your blank pages but then again, who knows?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Vandelay (7/5/06 5:26 PM) reply + / -
Mine just died on me tonight. I just changed the black cartridge a few days ago and now get blank pages even after multiple cleaning cycles, wish I would have known about this thread before.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (7/11/06 6:51 PM) reply + / -
Reading this list of complaints brings some comfort to the seething disgust I have for epson right now. I only used one set of cartridges, the ones that came with it, before it entirely crapped out on me! And now I blew close to $70 in ink on this new set of cartridges I got. At first I thought it was the Staples cartridges I first bought, and kindly enough Staples gave me store credit to buy genuine epson cartridges (as if it mattered). Of course, I was shocked and dumbfounded to know that it wasn't the cartridges - and reading all of these posts makes me incredibly angry that there has not been a recall.

How do these companies get away with it? The printer parts are moving just fine, but only blank pages are shooting out! How could they not issue a recall when this is a known problem? Sounds like it's time for me to call 'Shame on You' on CBS. It is totally unacceptable for a company to make millions selling you ink that they know you will waste during endless head cleaning and nozzle check sessions.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mad canadian (7/17/06 5:56 PM) reply + / -
I called Epsons Canada about my defective CX5400 that only prints blank pages and they basically told me that there's nothing they can do for me since I am in Canada, while consumers in the USA have three options including getting free shipping and repair. Their explanation for this was that Epson USA had a lot more resources in order to be able to offer these options to consumers, but I don't buy it. The reason may be that they were sued by US consumers in a class action lawsuit in California, which they wisely settled (www.epsonsettlement.com).

What if dissatisfied consumers in Canada got together and sued Epson so they will start taking responsibility for their defective products and stop ripping off people by selling them ink for printers that don't even work!

Here's an excerpt of the settlement taken from: http://www.epsonsettlement.com

Settlement Update
(June 21, 2006)

The time for the Settlement Fairness Hearing in In Re Epson Ink Cartridge Cases, Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding No. 4347 has been moved to 1 pm on August 15, 2006. The Settlement Notice previously indicated that the hearing time would be 10 am on that same day.

Class Counsel intend to apply to the Court at the Fairness Hearing for an award of attorneys’ fees and costs and expenses in an amount not to exceed $35 million and EAI will not oppose an application by Class Counsel up to this amount. Class Counsel’s papers in support of their application were filed with the Court on June 15, 2006. With the permission of the Court, the date to file the application was continued from June 1, 2006 to June 15, 2006.

Re: Epson CX5400 does not print! by amed (7/24/06 5:12 PM) reply + / -
I too am frustrated with this company. After buying ink cartridges that I can't use I have no good feelings about this manufacturer. I loved the qualitY of print when the printer was working but the headache is not worth the quality. I have learned an expensive lesson and will not buy or support this company for my next purchase it will NOT be an Epson

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (7/24/06 5:36 PM) reply + / -
I bought the CX5400 back in early 2004. I admit that I got it for it's ALL-IN-ONE capability. It was working like a charm. After my first ink replacement in early 2005, thing was still fine. A few weeks later, printing was streaky, lines across the text, etc. I found this to be odd since i had used the thing on a regular basis--at least once every 2 weeks. I was thinking that the second replacement would work out for the better--so I went ahead with it about a week ago. Would you believe it stopped printing black ink?? and the colors were completely inaccurate. So, after dozens and dozens of head cleanings and nozzle checks, nothing but blanks except for very faint, inaccurate colors. text only documents were blank of course. All this after I spent roughly 60 bucks on new cartridges. How is this possible? So like a lot of the people responding to this thread, I called tech support. They offered me the "preferred" customer discounts for a new printer, or the "one-time" FREE repair. Yes, I know about the cleaning solutions and methods, but why is this even necessary?? I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem after 2 1/2 years of owning this all-in-one piece of real estate. Oh yeah, and I just came across this "class-action lawsuit"??? Let's face it, there is a pattern here, and we have all been victimized. HP here I come!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Sparky9292 (edited 7/26/06 11:21 PM) reply + / -
TO GET EPSON TO FIX YOUR CX5400 PRINTER FOR FREE!

Call 1-562-276-1300 (tech support) and follow obvious prompts.

The tech will tell you that as a favor he's waiving the $9.95 fee to help you (since the cx5400 has a design flaw, duh)

Tell tech support that you took printer in to the store you bought front and they said that the drainage tube is blocked and they aren't allowed to fix it.

Tell tech support that you print at least once a week from the printer and that you also turn it off each night and power it on each morning (this is important otherwise they will lecture you)

Tell tech support that you've completely replaced all four cartridges twice WITH GENUINE EPSON cartridges to try to fix the problem. If you tell them you used 3rd party ones, they will hang up.

Tell tech support that you've ran the self-cleaning cycle DOZENS of times and the prints have never impoved.

DO NOT tell them that the printer went a long time without printing.

They will then tell you that they are doing you a favor and transfer you to customer relations which is 1-562-276-1311.

They first offered me $100 credit to the newest printer. I said no. Then they said that they will pay for shipping and send me labels. It will take about three weeks to get the printer, fix it, and then send it back FREE OF CHARGE.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (7/29/06 7:29 PM) reply + / -
> They shouldn't have sold me a broken printer.
If it did not work when it was new you should have sent it back. Lack of use causes the problems with printer.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by anonymoose (7/31/06 12:30 PM) reply + / -
Even bettre than the free repiar is them refunding you the money,here is how i did it!

i told the guy i wanted to speak with a engineer about the printer since it is broken and crapppy and bad and he said i could have to speak with a csutomer service rep.. and then i told the rep that i nedded a printer ASAP!!! and he said he'd send me out a check from the company refunding my money really quickly!!.

if the gie you any options, ignore thm and yell that you need a new pritner asap1!!!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by moe (7/31/06 7:53 PM) reply + / -
So you really expect anyone to believe that they just sent you a refund check without even seeing the printer or asking to get it back? Yeah, right! You need to quit smoking the whacky weed. It seems to be affecting your typing as well or are you normally dyslexic?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mri (8/7/06 10:58 PM) reply + / -
Yet another victim - I got screwed on this too. CX5400 is about 2 years old... was on 3rd or 4th cartridge tonight and spent 30% of my 'new' black ink on trying to clean the nozzles, etc. I have always used the 'genuine' epson inks - this is crap. I don't even want a replacement because I won't spend another dime on anything with the Epson name. I am tempted though to fork out the postage to send this hunk of crap to their doorstep and make them throw it away. Complete and utter bull$hit. NEVER again Epson, N E V E R

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mr shah uk (8/10/06 3:31 AM) reply + / -
10:51:04 System Welcome Mr Shah ...
10:51:10 System Andy has joined this session!
10:51:19 Andy Welcome to EPSON e-Talk. My name is Andy. I will be able to assist with Pre and Post Sales enquiries relating to the EPSON product range.
10:51:32 Andy How would you best describe your problem Mr Shah?
10:52:05 You i have an epson cx5400 an all in one printer .it prints blankl pages
10:52:43 You i have changed the ink with original toners and done dozens of print head cleans and nozzle cleans
10:53:04 Andy What make of cartridges are you using please Mr Shah?
10:53:18 You the printer thinks its printing.....EPSON
10:53:40 Andy How many head cleans have you been through please?
10:54:01 You to321, 424, 423 ...
10:54:13 You about 20 head cleans
10:54:30 You and the same with nozzle cleans
10:54:51 Andy OK, it may be that the unit requires repair. Is the unit within warranty please?
10:55:18 You ive had it about 2-3 years .i dont think so
10:55:43 You apparently EPSON has admitted design fault with this model
10:56:12 You can you replace it?
10:56:32 Andy I regret to hear that your product has developed a fault on this occasion. Please be advised that there is no design fault with the EPSON Stylus CX5400. EPSON do endeavour to produce products to the highest standard and reliability, however due to their mechanical nature, faults do regrettably occur.

The warranty on your product is time based for 12 months from the original date of purchase.

If your product is within warranty, you can take your printer to one of our EPSON Express Centres located around the UK.

Products will be checked and tested by the Express Centre and this process should normally last for around 15 minutes. If for any reason the Express Centre is unable to repair your unit, they will swap the product providing proof of purchase is supplied and the product is within warranty. The whole experience is expected to take 30 minutes in total.
For further information on EPSON Express Centres and their locations in your area, please visit us at;

http://www.epson.co.uk/support/express/index.htm

Should the product be older than 30 days, then the unit will be replaced with a Quality Assured unit. A Quality Assured product is a unit that has previously been returned to EPSON and repaired. It will have been fully serviced and met our strict Quality Assured standards. The outer casing should be free from scratches, blemishes and should be aesthetically pleasing. EPSON believe that this provides our customers with an effective and efficient service.

The next option for customers with a unit that is in warranty is a courier upgrade service; a payment of £10 will ensure that you receive a like for like replacement model conveniently delivered by courier. Payment can be made by debit / credit card. Please contact our Customer Service department on 08704 43 77 66, select option 5 or respond to this email detailing your telephone number and I will arrange to contact you. Our agents will be happy to take payment and arrange a date delivery that is most convenient for you.

Alternatively you can choose to upgrade your faulty in warranty product to the following Quality Assured units: C48, R245, R340, DX3850 or DX4850. There would be a charge of £35, £67, £99, £51 or £67 respectively for these replacements and the unit would come with a standard 12 month warranty. The courier would attend an address of your choice, replacing your faulty product with a replacement QA unit. The units come fully bundled with Leads, Inks, Paper Support and Software.

If your unit is out of warranty, you may still take your product to your local Express Centre. Please be advised that for any repairs made, a charge will be incurred. If there are no Express Centres within a reasonable travelling distance, you can contact our National service Care Centre on 01684 853116 who will be able to arrange for the product to be repaired under a chargeable Return to Base service.

Alternatively you could choose the upgrade path detailed above. However this service would be delivery only, customers requiring their faulty unit to be disposed can make an additional payment of £10 and the courier delivering the replacement unit will also remove your faulty product.

There is also a third option for out of warranty customers is a fixed price swap. EPSON can replace your out of warranty product for a Quality Assured unit of the same model. There would be a charge of £83 for this replacement to be made and the unit would come with a standard 12 month warranty. The courier would attend an address of your choice, replacing your faulty product with a replacement QA unit. Again this service would be delivery only unless you choose to pay the additional £10 to arrange for the courier to dispose of your faulty unit. If you choose to have EPSON collect your old printer only the main body of the printer itself would be replaced and so you would be required to retain your driver CD, ink cartridges, paper support tray, power cable and USB or parallel cable. If any of these items are sent back to EPSON, it will not be possible to return them to you.
10:58:43 Andy Thank you for connecting to EPSON's e-Talk service. We have had no response from you. If you still require assistance, please confirm by entering text and pressing your enter key to send your response to us.
10:59:13 You so you cant help if its not under warranty?
10:59:45 You what about the law suit in the usa?
11:00:01 You why were they all compensated
11:00:32 Andy We can not offer you a warranty repair no if you are not within warranty Mr Shah. You can choose to have the unit repaired, replaced or upgraded.
11:01:24 You can i have it replaced if its not under warranty?
11:02:23 Andy You can choose to have a Fixed Price Repair for a charge of £83.
11:02:51 You can i not have a refund, why would i buy another epson i expect this quality?
11:03:00 Andy Please be advised that any ruling in the USA does not effect EPSON UK and there is no such ruling in the EC.
11:03:14 Andy We would expect your product to function without failure for a significant number of years. We produce all of our products to the highest of standards, which allows us to make the products cost effective and reliable. Unfortunately technology is not infallible, despite our efforts to make products 100% reliable. For this reason EPSON offer a 12-month warranty, valid from original date of purchase, the warranty offering extends to any faults reported within this time. I regret that your product has failed you but as this was reported to us after the warranty period had expired, this is no longer subject to the warranty offering.
11:03:23 You i have a load of printing to do and my printer has just given me a hundred blank pages
11:04:05 Andy The unit is faulty Mr Shah, the options available to you have been listed above.
11:04:44 You yes but its not my fault its faulty, its made by you guys
11:04:56 You ive hardly used this printer!
11:05:15 You ive just replaced the toners the second time
11:05:57 Andy That is why we offer a 12 month warranty, if a faulty is reported in this time then under warranty we will repair or replace the unit. Unfortunately the unit has passed the warranty period and we can not offer you a repair or replacement under warranty.
11:07:44 You I think its appauling that a product like this isnt being recalled or replaced, i could forward you to a few links and you can see what an impact epson has had. I dont hink i will ever buy another epson , and ill make sure non of my customers will either
11:09:17 Andy I am sorry if you feel you have not received an appropriate level of service from EPSON. Although it would be nice to be able to help every customer with service beyond that to which they are contracted, this is not a practical proposition.
11:09:34 You i take it you cannot take responsibilty for your product then?
11:11:41 You look, can you not do anything to fix my problem?
11:12:13 Andy There is no manufacturing fault with the unit Mr Shah, unfortunately you are out of warranty. You can of course choose to take up the options available to you that are listed previously.
11:12:45 Andy EPSON now have a number of Express repair centres across the U.K. You can take the printer into one of these centres, they will diagnose the fault and quote on repair.
11:13:06 Andy Or you can accept the Fixed Price Repair or upgrade option.
11:13:36 You like i said i urgently need a printer, there are common faults with this printer, i would only have to keep visiting the repair centre every 2 years it seems
11:14:13 You blocked nozzles and dryed ink ink in the pump tubes?
11:15:42 Andy We would expect your product to function without failure for a significant number of years. We would not expect you to have similar problems Mr Shah.
11:16:29 You how long would you expect it to function
11:17:12 Andy Trouble free for a significant number of years Mr Shah.
11:17:13 You can you check the serial number oif my printer if i gave it to you and see if its under warranty
11:17:28 Andy The unit is supplied with a 12 month warranty. If a unit requires a service we do require proof of purchase and we are unable to trace the date of purchase from the product serial number.

If the proof of purchase is not available we can check the manufacture date of your product from the product number on the printer. If this is still within 12 months then we will be able to warranty the unit. The product number on a thin gray label on the back of the unit and is 19 digits long.
11:18:19 You great!
11:18:42 You your not helping me
11:19:41 You bottom line is i trusted EPSON and they have failed me and hundreds of people miserably
11:20:02 You before i leave, can you look at his site for me
11:20:03 Andy I can not find out if your unit is under warranty from the serial number Mr Shah. I will need the manufacturer number on the back of the unit.
11:20:32 You ok
11:21:00 You c567547457456767
11:21:49 Andy The unit was manufactured in November 2003, we would be unable to warranty this unit for you.
11:22:45 You thanks
11:23:18 Andy Is there anything else I may help with Mr Shah?
11:23:54 You just type in "cx5400 printing blank pages" in google and you will see pages upon pages of unhappy customers
11:24:34 You i reall y cant beleive that this product was ever sold, or even that i was stupid enough to buy from EPSON
11:24:47 Andy I am concerned to learn of the problems that you have experienced with your EPSON product and I am sorry that you have had cause for complaint. It is never our intention to disappoint customers in any way. Is there anything else I can help with Mr Shah?
11:25:11 You a refund would have sufficed
11:25:27 Andy Unfortunately this is not possible.
11:25:51 You but i guess all that copying and pasting has made you tired ...so thank for your help, and no thanks to epson products
11:26:10 You thanks again
11:26:21 Andy EPSON now sell ink cartridges and media at competitive prices, with many consumables including P&P. Would you be interested in purchasing from EPSON today?
11:26:31 Andy Black (1)
T0321 Black Pigment Ink Cartridge C13T032140 £29.14
Colour (3)
T0424 Yellow Ink Cartridge C13T042440 £12.64
T0423 Magenta Ink Cartridge C13T042340 £12.64
T0422 Cyan Ink Cartridge C13T042240 £12.64
11:26:43 You your having a laugh right?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/10/06 10:18 AM) reply + / -
Did you expect ANY company to offer a lifetime warranty on a LOW END printer. People want cheap then when they get it they grope about it not lasting.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by epsonshmepson (8/16/06 1:46 AM) reply + / -
ROTFL that's priceless Mr Shah UK!!

I'm sure I could not have stayed as polite as you, well done!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by scottsaysepsonsucks (8/19/06 9:26 AM) reply + / -
Mine did the same thing. I have a c86.

I emailed epson and they said they would be happy to take it back into their recyling program. I called them and they said because my printer is out of warranty (1.5 years old and used less than 500 pages!!) I would be charged $9. to continue!

Here's the skinny: The provided me the Epson Canada Purolator account number: 1-0954659 and address:

Epson Canada
3771 Victoria Park Ave
Toronto ON
M1W 3Z5

My suggestion is to send all the crap printers back to them and let them pay the shipping...sadly it doesn't get you anything. I also wrote a letter to the president - but can't (not surprisingly) find his/her name on the website.

Epson really does SUCK! I'll update if I hear back from them.

The other thing fellow-Canadians can do is email W-5 and CBC underdog consumer advocate groups. We need to join together and make sure that the public knows of the poor quality that Epson delivers.

Good luck everyone.

Scott

Re: Epson CX5400 and CX4600 by SKCUSNOSPE (8/20/06 6:55 AM) reply + / -
After reading the posts I am relieved to know that I am not jinxed - I have (1)CX4600 and (3)CX5400 Epson printers. I see now I am not alone as I am experiencing the documented and common problem on the 3rd-4th cartridge change on my (3) CX5400's, resulting in blank pages after cartridge replacement. The three printers were purchased approx. the same timeframe (within a few months of each other) One used by son at college;one used in my business;one used in a home office. They are all used frequently but not high volume. The CX4600 is used bi-weekly with a laptop. The CX4600 has had one free replacement since it failed at less than 12 months, the replacement is now 7 months old & completely clogged. I had a very important and critical document I needed to print a few days ago. It was 28 pages and I didn't want to run out of ink in the middle of the project, so I changed the ink cartridges before attempting to print. Result: Blank pages. I went thru the hassle of unplugging and trying all 4 Epson printers and I COULD NOT GET ONE EPSON PRINTER OUT OF FOUR TO PRINT...I tried the head cleanings, went through over $120 worth of ink to end up with NOT ONE THAT WOULD PRINT. They all operate, go thru the motions, but just emit blank pages, and use ink the whole time! I tried cleaning, ink purgings, everything the various websites suggest, only to get zip...nothing...na-da. Not a drop of ink on any page. Days & days of my time spent trying to unclog, thinking it must be something I am doing wrong during cartridge replacement. I am aware this is a disposable society and printers made by Epson are no exception: it appears there is an internal counter or chip that terminates the printers operation once you reach the limit of "allowed" pages/characters/hours, whatever criteria it is, then a code appears indicating "you have depleted the useful life of your printer, it requires servicing by Epson"...something to that effect. This occured on the CX4600 (within warranty period) that Epson replaced. I suspect the majority of these units never make it to the "end of their useful life." What are the average users netting...1 yr, 1 1/2, 2 yrs at best? Is the expectation to get 5 yrs from a printer too much? I wonder how many users have pitched them to avoid the cost and hassle. Isn't that what Epson is hoping for with their options program...just buy another one and we'll give you this pathetic discount, Ka-Ching. Got you again!
And since I am Epson raging, my second issue, besides their CRAPPY product, refers to the current ink cartridge class action litigation. I am curious how many consumers entitled to settlement benefits (certain cartridge purchases from 1999-2006) were so disappointed they no longer use epson printers therefore the "automatic" benefit ($45 credit to Epson E-Store)is worthless. If you no longer have an epson printer, why on earth would you want a credit for Epson E-Store? And, unless you read the legal notice completely, you might not notice a different deadline date to claim a cash settlement (how clever) Luckily I read it completely before the cash option expired. How many people didn't? Of course Epson's preferred option is the automatic one, (the $45 credit coupon to Epson Estore) which will sit unused because EPSONS PRODUCTS are so crappy you will never buy another one...
In summary, my sentiments for EPSON can only be described by reading my username backwards: SKCUSNOSPE. They had the nerve to refer me to the EPSON USER LOYALTY PROGRAM, are they absolutely nuts??? Perhaps it is time to contact the law firm that handled the class action for the ink cartridges to explore a recall/class action for faulty design/product on the C-series printers? Anyone know how to initiate this?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by tcl (8/25/06 9:45 AM) reply + / -
I have a CX5400 that I purchased in Jan. of 2004. I don't use it that much and yesterday tried to use it for a work related task. Like with everyone else...blank pages after adding the expensive Epson ink. I tried the normal maintanence with no luck and called Epson and went through their routine.

After seeing some other sites and this one I decided to fix it myself. I cleaned all of the tubes and they look fabulous! Still nothing. I read all of these forums and called Epson again. I didn't want to buy another printer because of the ink investment so they offered a free repair. I'm fine with that.

The long clear tube that is routed all over the place was pinched and I was sure that was the main problem. After cleaning it I rerouted it but still no ink. Do you think they will give me any crap once they receive it for repair? It's not under warranty so they can throw that in my face. Anyone with this issue?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 and CX4600 by frytz (8/25/06 4:41 PM) reply + / -
If you no longer have or want to use the useless Epson products, you could use your credit from the settlement to buy paper, or another universally usable item!

Fred

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by margaret zimmerman (9/1/06 7:26 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
I thought it was just me, but my problem is with the CX4600 bought in January 2005, replaced due to many problems in September 2005, and by August 2006 more problems with printing problems and paper feeding problems. I call Epson and they tell me I'm out of warranty, and it doesn't matter that the new printer sent in September 2005 is not one year old, I'm out of warranty from the original purchase January 2005 even though that machine was faulty! They refer me to the loyalty program so I can purchase another Epson. I call a service center and they tell me it will be $69.00 per hour to try to fix it. They got us all. Lots of ads about the quality of the printer...sucked us in, and forgot to mention we will only get 1-2 years from it. That cetainly does not make it an economical printer does it? Every two years you're going to have to buy another! not to mention the expense of the ink and the frustration of the thing. If there's going to be a class action law suit, count me in. Maybe the same law firm that handled the other issue would like to handle this one?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by AirForce (9/3/06 9:54 AM) reply + / -
Wow, Epson made a lemon. Someone posted what did we expect for a cheep printer. Well I have other that cost about 100 bucks and they lasted more then 18 months.

Then your supposed to do a print head cleaning. What a crock of crap. I don't see Epson going out of their way for a recal or something to give back to the customer who paid $125 for printer. Then $125+ for all the wasted ink and 5 hours ($200) of trouble. So the customer spend well over $450 with a lot of aggrivation. Throw in the times when you needed to print something for business and you get a dissatisfied customer, who may tell 5 of his/her friends about a horrible experience with EPSON.

So if one questions why we are aggrivated, think about the big picture. My HP has worked for 5 years without any issues and I talk highly about the company and their products. The same is not true for Epson.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by The Joke Is On Us (9/5/06 6:37 PM) reply + / -
I bought the CX5400 (hearin refered as the P O S) in July 2004, and like some of the people above, after a few Epson cartridge changes, I started to get streaks on the paper then (in a matter of a few pages) I got blank pages. I retuned the P O S to EPSON ---out of waranty, for a one time fix--- in the meantime, I bought another EPSON an R220. I didn't know it, but I was a fool. When I got the CX5400 back, and the R220 ran out of ink, I put new $50.00 cartiridges in the original P O S. The P O S still wouldn't print! Called Epson they said, "Because it is a onetime fix we can't do anything about it." I asked if EPSON was aware of the definition of fix. After several minutes of arguing on my long distance dime, I can definately report EPSON does not know the definition of fix. I was offered a coupon for another new P O S from their web site. I remember when I bought the P O S at the MicroCenter store, there were reps from all the major manufacturer's there. I rememebered the HP rep grining when the EPSON rep went through his schpiel. When the EPSON rep finished, I heard the HP rep say, "Theirs may be cheaper and have a few more features, but (in a louder voice) ours will be working in a year." He said this to make sure the EPSON rep. could hear him. I thought, either this HP rep is extremely arrogant or he knows what he is talking about. Unfortunately I thought the former and bought the P O S. Oh well, live and learn. I'm off to buy a HP. disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I don't know anyone who works for HP. I wish I knew the honcho who works for EPSON so I could sucker Punch him the way I got suckered.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by MAD Epson (9/17/06 10:37 PM) reply + / -
When I got my Epson CX5400 I was amazed at the crisp images and scans. I got me the Mercedes Benz of printers, so I thought. Then it began printing blanks.

Took it apart and found the tube disconnected and lodged with dried up ink. WHAT A LOUSY DESIGN!!!!! A tube thats under air pressure and attached to a moving part and NOT clamped?!?!? Well ok, only on one end of it.

If ink is to a printer and gasoline is to a car then with this crappy design, there would be alot of people burned to death inside of their own cars!!!

I'm not bothering to reassemble this piece of junk, it's going into the garbage right away.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by davecx5400 (9/20/06 6:08 AM) reply + / -
Can you tell me if the new CX-7800 is working better than the CX-5400 unit, that you returned to Epson? Was it much of a hassle to get them to give you a free repair?

I have a CX5400 that has the same problem and I am thinking about calling Epson
Dave

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by royally peeved (10/13/06 4:15 PM) reply + / -
I also had thought I had purchased a remarkable printer. Well, was I wrong. It worked great until I had to replace the colored ink cartridges that came with the printer, then nothing. I took the printer to a repair shop and was told when they had phoned to get a price on new printer heads they would cost over $200 cdn. What a joke. This is my second and last epson, I had the same problem with the first one.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Jon1 (10/15/06 5:27 AM) reply + / -
A friend asked me to look at his CX5400 which is printing blank pages and rather than installing the software I just used the Copier function.

Copying a piece of a black colored paper(set on an angle in B&W) it printed a random series of lines that repeated every 1 inch.

Trying the same test in Color Mode a similar set of lines repeated every 3/8 inch.

He said the problem started when he installed a new cartridge. I'm wondering if the electronics has somehow failed(due to a new cartridge??) and is the real problem rather then jammed print heads or bad cartridges.

Has anyone else had this experience??

Thanks

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Jon1 (10/15/06 5:29 AM) reply + / -
A friend asked me to look at his CX5400 which is printing blank pages and rather than installing the software I just used the Copier function.

Copying a piece of a black colored paper(set on an angle in B&W) it printed a random series of lines that repeated every 1 inch.

Trying the same test in Color Mode a similar set of lines repeated every 3/8 inch.

He said the problem started when he installed a new cartridge. I'm wondering if the electronics has somehow failed(due to a new cartridge??) and is the real problem rather then jammed print heads or bad cartridges.

Has anyone else had this experience??

Thanks

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by egaus33870 (10/17/06 9:45 PM) reply + / -
I also have the same problem with the CX5400. I had been using the inks from ebay (non-Epson). Only have been changed a few times and had no problems before. However, the ink ran out and I put a new black cartridge in and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. And the colors don't work now either. Tried taking the printer apart but it was a waste of time. Does the reset tool work or is there some other problem here. I think Epson sabatoged the printer so it won't work if you use other non-Epson cartridges. If it was a problem with a print-head, you would think that it would gradually get clogged, but this happened as soon as I changed cartridges.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by theboss (10/27/06 2:49 PM) reply + / -
Yes, I did this -- called the Customer Service dept. and was sent materials to ship it back for servicing (out of warranty) with the warranty extended for 90 days after the servicing. Please note the correct phone# is (562)276-1311. So they are still doing this program, at least if you push for it. And they pay the shipping both ways!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by thekeel (11/2/06 8:22 PM) reply + / -
OK, count me in as another CXS 5400 owner who had sudden blank pages about a month after the warranty expired. It happened right after my first cartridge change. At first I thought it was a faulty cartridge (even though I was using nothing but genuine Epson cartriges), so I went out and bought another Epson cartridge and of course that didn't work either. I did have a good experience with customer service via email -- didn't have to argue and was quickly offered the free repair, free shipping option, which I did. The printer's been good since then, knock on wood. By the way, I simply re-used the cartridge I took out before shipping the unit to Epson, even though Epson ABSOLUTELY FORBIDS you to do that!!!! and it worked fine. I've had about 2 more cartridge changes since then.

I'm a little afraid of the repair-it-yourself option if it ever happens again, since I'm not really a techie. I've been doing a little immunizing voodoo on the printer since then (don't laugh, it's worked before). Do you think a complete non-techie could do the little unclogging-the-tube thing safely? I don't really feel safe disassembling the unit.

Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/10/06 3:07 PM) reply + / -
I also have a cherry 2 year old cx5400 that now prints blanks with new Epson cartridges. I called their 562-276-1311 number & was referred to 562-276-4382. After an agonizing time trying to understand a tech with a foreign accent, I finally figured out that they will send some return info, via mail. What I could not understand was: what parts do I send & what do I leave behind? The ink cartridges etc ?? I believe they said that shipping info would be mailed. That's probably several weeks away. I wanted to get it ready beforehand. I also do not have the original box. So can anyone shed some light as what needs to be done prior to shipping? Thanks for any info .....

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by sylvia (11/11/06 6:12 PM) reply + / -
I also suspect an electronic glitch, at least for the blank page problem when it sounds like it's printing but doesn't. I had a problem where one color didn't print which I thought was a clog. Using cleaning fluid didn't help. but black and other colors printed fine -- until I forgot to unplug it before taking out the cartridges. when I put them back nothing would induce this baby to print a single line of anything. I'm also getting an error message when I try to do a nozzle check. I'm going to try for the free repair option. If anyone is interested, I'll let you'll know if that works.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by gudrun Onkels (11/25/06 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Add me to the list. My printer just started having problems as described in the posts above. If I set the options to print high quality rather than speed, I still can get a text printed, but the color of the fresh cartridges are barely coming through, and I if print in the Economy setting, the black text is interrupted irregularly with wihte streaks. I guess after seeing all the postst my printer is on it's way out after about 3 years. I did not use it that regularly, so I guess after a certain amount of printed pages it looses it's function. It seems like I should prepare myself to buy another printer, and not waste any more time and cardridges in trying to fix the problem on this one. I never used other cartridges that Epsom's.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/28/06 12:13 PM) reply + / -
My first CX5400 died after about 18 months. Epson Tech Support was very accomodating. I didn't remember when I bought it (it was bought through amazon.com) so I lied and said it was within 12 months.

They offered to replace it by sending me a new CX5400 first and I returned my old one with the RMA paperwork and the new one's box. I was impressed with their customer service.

However, it's now about 2 years later and the same thing happened again with the new unit.

I'm tired of having this break every 1.5 - 2 years. I've wasted money on ink and wasted my time as well. I will never buy Epson again. I just went out and bought an HP PhotoSmart C5180 from CompUSA for $179.

I will also try exchanging my unopened Epson ink cartridges at the store for HP ones.

Wish me luck with my new printer. The CX5400 is going in the trash.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rccoffee (11/28/06 3:17 PM) reply + / -
I purchased this Epson for my Windows computer about 2 years ago and it has worked really well. So well, in fact, that I bought a CX6600 for my new Mac.

I was low on black so I replaced the cartridge. Now, black wouldn't print so I cleaned nozzles/heads and then I was low on cyan and magenta so I replaced them. I didn't replace yellow. I have cleaned nozzles/heads and now NOTHING prints.

I need an all-in-one and checked here to see if only I had a problem like this with Seiko-Epson.

I'm not. Now, I'm looking for a replacement.

Thank you.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by popalot (11/29/06 5:51 PM) reply + / -
Some of you guys have really had a rough go of it. The scanner on my CX5400 is giving me some intermittent trouble but I'm trawling throught the User Guide and checking the forums. Felt I had to say something here though as the fact of the matter is that problems will occur with some products for all manufacturer's at some point or another. It's a shame but it's life. Go search for 'JVC camera fault', 'canon printer fault' - stick any brand name in there and 'problem', 'bad', 'fault' and you'll get something. Yes ok, you may find that a particular model may present a particular fault more often, yet you will also find that you guys with problems only ever post anything on the web with true passion when there is a problem or one is unhappy. There's a load of other printer's on these forums with issues (and their suffering owners of course).

Being a long-time user of Epson printers and would you guess it, an Epson enthusiast, though I only have several and they're still going, I am happy to say that I have not experienced the problems that you have described. Sure, you need to do some head cleaning now and then but this is to be expected.

What many of you guys fail to acknowledge is that the problem may have been contributed to by you, unintentionally. Also, there's all this talk of the various ink system tubes needing to be unblocked and pulled out and about and ruining your carpet (get a sheet/cloth!) but not EVERY problem is the same right? Some is blocked print head (you've not used the printer much or used horrible ink), others is a problem with the ink tubes being blocked (again these could be for the same reasons) and some of you may genuinely have problem that the unit has developed in a failing print head.

The print head uses an electrical charge (Epson have a load of info on their various websites about the techno bits) so if that fails the ink simply isn't going to be fired out. You have not mentioned once is that you may have left the printer without use for weeks, may be months and SOME of you have used non Epson ink which does not contain the anti-coagulant which is designed to try and prevent the clogging/drying of ink that will occur when the printer is not used for a while thus the print head is blocked - the print head which contains hundreds of tiny holes through which the ink is fired - they can't accept the width of a human hair (how's that for perspective). Some of you may have refilled the cartridges and reset the chips - stupid STUPID STUPID idea - you're then feeding all the rubbish that the cartridge ensured was not fed into the print head right on in there and you wonder why you have a problem? Simililarly, basic things like not popping your printer next to a radiator will help as that's just going to cause further problems. Don't leave it turned on, the print head is exposed to air and dry out. Sure, there's gonna be some of you who have followed all the recommendations and used the genuine ink but still have the problem. Then in this case it may be a genuine hardware problem. If it was a product recall situation, legally, it would have to be done.

You may be p**d off with Epson if you've had any of the problems described esp if you've done everything right so you aren't going to want to buy Epson again. OK, fair enough, but why not call them and see if they can offer you anything? It's always worth a try, a little bit of humor helps - helped me with my cell phone deal, computer, tv...

And don't go dismantling your printer and not expecting it to leak - there's a permanent print head and more importantly the residual ink in the system and waste ink pads in there which are holding the excess ink that's built up from printing, head cleans and initialistions.

Furthermore, why would you expect a company to service a product for free out of the warranty period? The warranty exists as a stated limited period of time. If you really think the printer is not fit for purpose (i.e. genuine hardware problem) and it's out of warranty just give your retailer an earful if you're in the UK - you have rights under the sale of goods act. Savvy guys out there need not note; this does not cover manufacturer's, as it only applies to the retailer. You lot will hate me but anyone who says that there is no truth in what I have stated is naive or in denial.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (12/11/06 2:14 PM) reply + / -
I have a CX6400 and this recently happened to me as well with blank pages. Just like most of you, my printer will be 2 years old in February 2007. I have just replaced new ink thinking the ink may have dried up, and still blank pages. I use my printer regularly but this time of year I use it the most because I make homemade calendars, etc. for the grandparents. It's very disappointing. Do you all suggest taking it in to be fixed, junking it, or trying to fix it myself with the kit or trying to connect the wire/tube? What have most of you all done and does trying to repair it yourself actually work or is it worth my time? Thanks for any input.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by janmcl (12/11/06 5:01 PM) reply + / -
BRAVO FOR YOU.
I don't have a Epson CX5400 but I do have a Epson CX5200 and a Epson Photo 870. I totally agree with you about Epson products.I have been very pleased with them.At this time I am having a problem with my CX5200, but from research I have come to belief that it was caused by a power serge that got my MB on my computer at the same time.I have checked into replacing the main board but a new one cost about $180.00 and I'm not sure that I want to invest that much on this printer.I would like to know if anyone has the Epson RX700 and any pro's or con's on it?
Again I just wanted to Thank You for what you wrote in your post about Epson.
Have all the people that have posted negitive things about Epson never had problems with other products(no just printers) that are available to the comsumer in this day and age? Most everything today has some sort of circuit board or whatever that can and does fail.And the 1 yr. Warrenty that Epson has is not any different form other manufactures warrenties.I have had several other products that have failed right after the warrenty exspired. Go Figure.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by bfw (12/19/06 10:59 AM) reply + / -
Sorry there has been so many problems with EPSON printers. I have had the opposite experience. . . I have had a CX5400 for over 3 years with no problems whatasoever. I do use only EPSON catridges and it prints, on average, a couple hundred pages a week. I do keep it on 24-7 so it doesn't go through the heating/cooling cycle of power off and on and it is plugged into a surge protector (which had been hit with power problems and replaced several times) I also keep the area around it clean since dust seems to require head cleaning more frequently. I have had other brands of printers but prefer the EPSON for it's quality over most others. It does sound like it require more upkeep though. Best of luck.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by WaveGuide (12/20/06 11:44 AM) reply + / -
Hi bfw,
Printing 200 pages a week with Epson carts must cost you a packet, but I'm more interested in your comment about powering your printer 24/7. That is the stance I've adopted, printing barely a quarter of your turnover, but using compatible dye based inks. I'll never put Durabrites in my Epsons ever again. I believe they are only effective if used for 24/7 printing and if you are prepared foot the bill. I believe the improved longevity of the printer isn't related to heating/cooling, but the simple fact that the head isn't subjected to the mechanical stress of the purging cycles and the inks are not pigmented/resin bonded. The head gets purged unnecessarily every time a reboot occurs and wastes prodigious amounts of ink. Many people on this forum don't use their Epsons often enough and yet get through Durabrites like they're going out of fashion. They still get intractable blockages when Durabrite dries out in the head or the purge tubes. Occasional users should never buy an Epson running on pigmented inks. I suspect Epson's introduction of Claria ink printers is to mitigate against all these issues.

JaX

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by clintbrown (12/21/06 12:11 PM) reply + / -
Did all the cleaning of the jets with fluid then cleaned and cemented the purge tube in place then tried it out but it (nasty litle bugger)said no black ink! What! I just replaced. So I went to my last resort and tried to buy a black cartridge at Best buy, circuit city and staples. Not one available!! Now after reading comic strip I guess I'll toss this piece of junk.
HP here i come with a three year warranty in hand.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rccoffee (12/22/06 8:47 PM) reply + / -
Two years ago, I purchased a CX5400 for my Win computer. I liked it so much that, a year ago I purchased a CX6600 to go with my new Mac.

The CX5400 suddenly stopped printing. I called Epson, mentioned "defective print head" and was offered a "good deal" on a new printer, or I could send it to Indiana for repair with a pre-paid FedEx label. I sent it in and I received a new CX6000 back. I take it the CX5400 is kaput.

I paid $149.95 for the CX5400 and the CX6000 sells for $89.95 but I am happy with the new machine and thankful that Seiko-Epson would stand behind it even though it is over a year out-of-warranty. I am a happy chappy.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (12/22/06 9:10 PM) reply + / -
Two years ago, I purchased a CX5400 for my Win computer. I liked it so much that, a year ago I purchased a CX6600 to go with my new Mac.

The CX5400 suddenly stopped printing. I called Epson, mentioned "defective print head" and was offered a "good deal" on a new printer, or I could send it to Indiana for repair with a pre-paid FedEx label. I sent it in and I received a new CX6000 back. I take it the CX5400 is kaput.

I paid $149.95 for the CX5400 and the CX6000 sells for $89.95 but I am happy with the new machine and thankful that Seiko-Epson would stand behind it even though it is over a year out-of-warranty. I am a happy chappy.

P.S. I only used and would only use Epson ink cartridges, when I turn on the computer, I turn on the all-in-one and print about 50 sheets of paper or photo paper a week. When the computer(s) are off, the all-in-one is off. The CX6000 is much shorter and more compact than the CX5400 and restores faded colored photos as well as the CX5400. I like this. I did, however, bring out my 8-year-old HP DeskJet 722 (which worked perfectly right away)to do my mundane b&w printing...just in case.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (12/23/06 6:05 PM) reply + / -
your problem is precisely because you left the printer without cartridges in it. the heads are dry.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by ChicagoBob (12/29/06 12:16 PM) reply + / -
Hello,
Same problem here - my CX5400 was used sparingly but always at least once per week. Bought it new with my Mac. Printing became sporadic with horizontal bands, but the inks were low. Had previously replaced inks once, with Epson ink cartridges. Bought all new Epson inks for $64 from the Epson store, replaced each per the instructions - and NOTHING! Not even a smudge. Performed the head cleaning and test printing from the Utility and all that happened is that the inks went down to 50% indicated remaining volume.
Corresponded with Epson tech support via e-mail (prompt response), called them per the email instructions, and was forwarded to their Customer Care Line after a brief conversation. Spoke with a very arrogant fellow with an Eastern European accent I could barely understand. Was in due course lectured about Epson's generosity in offering the "Loyalty" web site alternative of buying a current model at a discount, and eventually received the information I needed to look at this web site.
The featured model I was encouraged to buy with a rebate, CX3810, does NOT come with Mac drivers or software. Every other model is offered at only a modest discount - often the net price is higher than Amazon or CompUSA - and each has multitudes of lousy reviews.
If I can find the patience, I'll call them back and maybe go for the free repair with 90 day warranty option. More prudently, I should throw this in the trash and go buy a Canon printer. Or maybe give up on home color - my Brother B&W laser is 3 years old, heavily used, and is chugging along just fine.
Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by moe (12/29/06 12:27 PM) reply + / -
Did you read the many, many, many posts regarding the purge tube that falls off and causes the problem?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by chicagobob (12/29/06 4:10 PM) reply + / -
Moe,
Yes, I read most of those posts.
As I am in the final throes of a complete bathroom renovation, that's where all my time goes these days. So I'd be quite happy to let Epson pay for shipping so they can fix the darned purge tube. Unless - are there illustrations out there somewhere that can guide one through fixing the purge tube?
Thanks.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by moe (12/29/06 5:34 PM) reply + / -
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html
Probably a lot easier than bathroom renovation.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by chicagobob (1/2/07 5:27 PM) reply + / -
Two submissions:
Moe - well, I HAVE to have a bathroom, but a color inkjet printer is optional.
Epson is sending the shipping label and so we'll see what happens.

TP2006 - What I would do about it, if you don't receive a good answer from Epson, is throw it in the trash and buy a Canon.

Thanks all for your observations and sharing of knowledge.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by chrisp grrrrrrr girl (1/7/07 11:46 AM) reply + / -
printer cost
embarrassment when presentation fouled due to lack of papers on time.
$300 of new ink
$200 tech time who's sorry but can't fix
no printer year
researching with fear/anxiety, what printer to waste my money/time/reputation on next.
Shoot the wad when I find HP wireless wonder on sale $100+off.
Find I can't install it until I find that tech, who also set up my wireless system & didn't leave wireless info.
In busting irritated wild fury, went to Omax, said give me the cheapest thing ya got! grrrr
Bought $30 Lexmark.
Prints...
Thank GOD in heaven!
btw, Never would have considered another Lexmark as it was my 1st printer, which worked maybe a week, & I regularly threatened to hurl it over the balcony...thought the Epson was major step up.
When I bought a new PC last year, it came with a Lexmark...I Gave it away, vainly hoping the Epson could be repaired.
grrrr
thanks for suppying some minimal hope for a replacement.
How I wish I had taken notice of the Epson lawsuit notice that came in the mail...I thought it must be some kooky hoax.
C

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Boopie (1/12/07 3:53 PM) reply + / -
Count me in as another person whose Epson CX5400 started printing blank pages after changing the black ink cartridge for the 3rd time. My unit is 13 months old. I called the number listed in a previous post and the very polite woman offered to send out a prepaid shipping label and it does take 3-4 weeks to have it repaired. I guess this is the best I can hope for -- I have $100 in cartridges in a Zip Lock bag. Hopefully, I will be able to use them again.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by pioneer_girl (1/16/07 4:07 PM) reply + / -
i am so frustrated with my Epson cx 5400. i bought new cartridges and the damn printer is spitting out blank pages. i called 562 276 4382. Im on the phone (on hold) right now. i hope i get the same deal everyone else on here is talking bout.....free shipping both wyas with prepaid shipping label. i refuse to pay for this peice of crap to get fixed!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by LadyA (1/20/07 2:39 PM) reply + / -
My Epson CX5400 was a gift and from what I've read, I've been lucky in that mine has lasted longer than most before doing this little trick. Mine started when the colour cartridges needed replacing (3rd set) I bought the no name brand ink and had nothing but problems - returned them and bought the Epson ink - everything went fine until now, when the black ran low and now... you guessed it - blank pages or rather a tiny bit of blue on the blooming logo when I run a test. I'm right in the middle of a major paper for school and can't afford to get a new printer. I will never buy Epson again or recommend anyone else do either!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by dcarp65 (1/20/07 3:55 PM) reply + / -
THERE IS HOPE!!!

After weeks of aggrevation that my CX5400 stopped printing color and only partially printed black, I stumbled across this forum. As I read I basically gave up hope and decided that no attempt to fix my printer was too extreme. With that in mind, I armed myself with a syringe (from one of my ink refill kits), a 79 cent bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol, and a roll of shop towels.

1. Read all of these instructions before attempting.
2. Remove the ink cartridges that won't print.
3. Fill the syringe with about 10-15 ml of alcohol per removed cartridge.
4. Make a tight seal on the top of the ink pick-up and gently push the plunger on the syringe to force about 10-15 ml of alcohol through the print head. Depending on the syringe used, you may have to use a piece of tubing to get a good seal. If you move the printhead assembly you will notice ink and alcohol you have forced through.
5. Repeat step 4 for each color that won't print.
6. Clean up any excess ink or alcohol.
7. Reinstall the ink cartridges.
8. You will need to run 2-4 cycles of cleaning the print heads to force the alcohol out of the print heads.
9. Perform a test print (nozzle check or color bar(from inkjetart.com)

My first attempt at this only got the Cyan to print. But that showed me there was hope. I made sure I had a tight seal and did it again. Now Magenta and Yellow printed but no Black. Once more for the Black and now it prints too.

Nothing wasted except my prior aggrevation and some $ on authentic Epson cartidges. I've put my generic ones back in and they still print.

Considerations:
You may want to get the Epson SSC Service Utility. Use it to store the ink levels of new ink cartidges. It can also do a "forceful" head cleaning.
My tube for the ink overflow was disconnected. I left it. The excess ink is just pooling in the bottom of the printer and the printer works fine.

Good Luck

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rerun (1/23/07 5:50 PM) reply + / -
I had the same thing happen to me so I call Epson and they told me to send it in and they woulfd fix it or I could use it as a $40 credit for a new one. They fixed it and sent it back and now I'm having the same problem again. I was just printing and got a pop up change cartridge so I did and tried to print and got blank pages. I'm going for the hammer and after that I'll replace it with a HP. I have 3 to 5 year old HP that work better than this thing.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (1/29/07 9:35 PM) reply + / -
Same problem as above. Thankfully I read the posts here before throwing the printer out. Spent $60 on new catridges and nothing but blank pages. I sent an email to Epson and they responded telling me to try cleaning the printer heads. If that didn't work, call their support number and the email said they would waive the $10 fee (since printer is out of warranty). They waived the fee, acknowledged it was a hardware issue and shipped me off to customer service. There I got a fellow who gave me 2 options: take it to an authorized Epson repair place and pay for the repair (which he noted would probably be more than buying a new printer) or they would give me a 20% discount on a new printer through their custoemr loyalty program. I hemmed and hawed and finally flat out told the guy that since this is a "known" hardware failure, shouldn't they stand behind their product and try to repair this problem. He finally relented and offered to do a 1 time out of warranty repair. I took this option. They sent me a FEDEX label (I had to box it myself) and I shipped it off. It took 7 days to get form FL to IN (FedEx ground). They received my printer on 1/10/07. They shipped me a brand new CX6000 on 1/22. So far it works and it has a few more options than the CX5400 -- for example it can read memory cards directly and alsothe scan feature lets you scan in more than 1 page to create a document. I am pleased with their resolution and even if this printer dies in a year, I will at least have gotten my money's worth on the CX5400. Of course I do have 4 new CX5400 catridges sitting in a ziploc bag since this printer takes a different cartidge.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by herbharm (2/8/07 8:13 PM) reply + / -
I have just finished disassembling a 5400 that was not printing. (Not too difficult.) I came from a person who had been gone for some time and I have had it waiting for a couple of months.

As noted many times above the most serious problem seems to be clogged tubing that draws ink prior to printing.

I attempted to clear the tubes with high pressure hot water. Did not work.

Finally took the entire unit apart and found there were VERY hard stoppages in the pump tubes. They were almost rock like. Huge amounts of flushing did nothing. Only after removing the tubes from the printer and running a wire down the tubes did they come clean.

The disassembly involved taking apart the pump and removing the pumping tube. Terribly messy. Reassembly is challenging and I am not looking forward to it.

Clearly, after looking at the condition of this printer, the problem is with the design of the pumping circuit AND the viscosity of the ink. I think if one were to use a thinner ink the problem might not occur.

After seeing what the condition was of this printer I suggest that efforts to clear it without disassembly will generally be in vain unless the problem is the disconnected short tube.

If I am lucky enough to get the unit back together I will try printing with somewhat normal ink and report on the results.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by angryuser (2/12/07 9:29 AM) reply + / -
This is new! Customer service actually hung up on me. No polite good-byes, no have a great day, no thank you for calling Epson.I fyou plan on calling, be prepared to yell and scream before they hung up. I was polite and lost my opportunity.

The Canadian customer service rep's name is Mary and that she was the supervisor. Tech support previously had told me that it would take 4 weeks to repair and then they'll give a 90 day warranty. How much you want to bet that the machine will conk out on the 91st day! I called Mary to see if I could get a loaner for the 4 weeks while my job suffers without a printer. You don't ask, you don't know right?

Enough of the lousy product. I am in a position to recommend printers to about 2,000 employees. At least 2,000 people will never have to go through what I did.

Best solution, tell everyone you know and tell them to tell everyone they know not to buy Epson ever again. Thanks for all your tips, at least I get a free repair. Whoopee!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by fespon (2/14/07 9:03 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my CX5400! One day Kaput. If you want to laugh your head off and feel better go to YouTube and search for Epson Printer. It helped me. I'm going to go ape with posts on Epson. Total scam.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Lea (2/23/07 12:51 PM) reply + / -
I have to say I was really weary of calling customer service because lately it seems no one wants or cares for your business after you've spent your first buck with them, but I'm glad I called Epson.

The updated phone number is (562)276-4382 for service, and you need to let them know that you've done several head cleanings and replaced the ink cartridges with Epson cartridges, and yet it prints nothing. I bought mine in 2004 but didn't use it for over 2 years due to a home office printer provided by work. The girl wanted to charge me the $9.95 fee but stated since I'd already gone through trouble shooting on my own she wouldn't charge and deemed the product as 'defective' so she had to take my information down, give me a case number, and transfer me to customer loyalty dept. The lady there did not want to mention the option of mailing in the unit for free, she mentioned first that repairing the unit costs more than a new unit (which may be why some people are getting free newer printers instead of a repaired one) so I may want to use a website that offered discounted prices on brand new ones (insinuating that I would have to pay for the repair without actually saying it). I advised her that I'd hardly used the printer and felt it was repairable, I wasn't going to buy another one, and I had done some research and knew at one time they offered a free repair at their cost. She put me on hold after saying that it had been a long time since they offered that, then came back and told me the envelope and directions for shipping the unit were on the way. Quite snippy then! But hey, I don't have to buy a new printer!

***Note to the others saying Epson is a horrible printer and HP is superior*** I have TWO HP office jet all in ones sitting right here in my home office and NEITHER work! Its the EXACT same issue, prints blank pages. I really thought I was going crazy, replacing all these ink cartridges (luckily the ones for the HP were bought by work, not out of my pocket) and getting nothing to print. My mother in law has a Canon, and it has printed for years for her, but its an older one. These newer printers with the all in one capability have the maximum gadgets with the minimum investment by the company so you and I can afford them. I don't think they're of quality so if I can get 2 years of printing out of one I may consider myself lucky:). Epson has much better resolution on scans and dpi on the print outs, and their customer service people atleast speak English well enough for me to understand without twisting my ear around broken, Indian accented English. I've had absolutely AWFUL service with HP, both with printer and a computer I was dumb enough to buy. Needless to say I still have 3 year warranty on a computer that every time they ship back to me saying its "fixed," its not, so I gutted the tower and made my own.
Sorry to be off topic there, but wanted to voice my opinion on HP in the light of all their praise when they've been terrible to me.
Good luck! Get your printer fixed for free! Don't pay a dime.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (2/26/07 1:31 PM) reply + / -
I did exactly what Lea said and called into epson (562)276-4382 and explained a similar sitution. They said they would give a website where I could purchase some deep discounted printers from epson because I am a loyal customer. But I told them I only wanted the printer fixed. He said they would send me a shipping label and would fix the printer for me. I had a CX5200 printer and it was have the same problem and they said they would repair it; however, I was then given the CX 5400, so maybe they will send me another upgrade instead of fixing it. Good luck and give Epson a call. It wont hurt to try. It worked for me.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by chicagobob (2/26/07 5:14 PM) reply + / -
Wonder of wonders!
Sent my broke-down CX5400 off to Epson, using their FedEx label and their forms.
Received a brand-new CX6000 the other day, and so far it works great.
Maybe the CX5400 design is faulty - and maybe this new one won't fare better.

But you have to admire a company that would make this deal.
Thanks, Epson.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by dawnee (3/4/07 12:51 AM) reply + / -
What a pile of junk I have been up all night after experiancing the printer just print a poor quality of red I have changed all of the toners (all genuine toners) I have never used anything else. I have followed the instructions; clean head, alignment & left it over night and now it prints nothing!. I am off to buy a HP printer this morning so much for Epson!. I can't see that it is worth paying to have it fixed as multi-functions are so cheap these days it would probably cost me more than a new one! Not impressed going to write to Epson and tell them so!. This website is excellent it has made me realise that I am not alone!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rollonsummer (3/4/07 3:09 AM) reply + / -
Mass Email campaign ;o)

With all the unhappy CX5400 users on this thread alone, you could conduct an email barrage upon Epson sometime to see if you get a reaction from them. It would be much more effective if you all emailed at the same time rather than over a week or so. Might make them think hard when developing new models!
I notice that one of the contributors mentions that the profit on a gallon of ink for the manufacturer is £8000. Wow I'm gonna buy a cartridge plant :oD

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by RoadDOG316 (3/6/07 8:27 PM) reply + / -
I have had this printer for slightly more than 2 years. I am running into a similar problem. My cyan will not print, even after replacing. My other colours right now print, but it could end up having the same problem like everyone else. I am from Canada and just emailed the tech support from Epson site. I am waiting for their response and if I get a number I will be calling and saying the same thing that a lot of the other people have been saying. Any other suggestions on what I can do?

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/7/07 12:18 PM) reply + / -
Yes. I have also been ripped off by Epson. Ha s anyone considered filing a class action lawsuit against Epson. Normally it would only take three people for a lawsuit to be considered a class action. Furthermore, attorneys take class action cases on contigency. Meaning that plaintiffs do not pay for the legal fees. A class action is normally filed when the damages suffered by one consumer are not enough for any attorney to take on this case. However, the larger the number of consumers joining the lawsuit the chances of wining the lawsuit are greater. The lawsuit can be initiated in any state where at least three Epson CX5400 printers were bought. The lawsuit can be displayed on line, and anyone interested in pursuing this matter can join on line.

I live in the area of San Diego California. If any one is interested in stading up for your rights and initiate a class action lawsuit against Epson, please email me at
anoroc2000@hotmail.com

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/7/07 2:39 PM) reply + / -
You are about a year too late!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by RoadDOG316 (3/7/07 7:40 PM) reply + / -
The response I got back were steps to replace and clean the nozzle through the printer or windows. These were the same steps that were on Epson's website. They also told me to take to a repair depot to get fix if those steps do not resolve the printing.

I replied back to that email and told them I did exactly those steps the night before and that I am not happy with that response about taking it to a depot as the problem is not just one user and that many users are experiencing the same thing.

I got another email that mentioned that they are sorry to hear about my problems and willing to do an one time $60 rebate, as long as I am willing to buy anything of their website.

I then got another email mentioning that tech support would like to assist me in trying to get this resolved but the number that they sent to me was the USA one. I am from Canada. I replied to that one and asked them if they knew I was from Canada as the fill out form I filled mentioned I was from Canada.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by greg0001 (3/15/07 4:44 PM) reply + / -
I found this site about a year ago when my CX5400 suffered the fate of all the others listed here. I added the site to my favorites, but put off calling Epson because I hate navigating the phone menus and waiting in the queue to reach a first level support technician who will run me though mind numbing procedures.

So now, three years after I bought my CX5400, I’m getting ready to move, and I can’t throw out my CX5400 without calling! So I revisit this site and see that less than a month ago Lea called and had success. I followed Lea’s write-up to the letter, and had the same result, except that both service reps were very polite to me (even when I mentioned the Canadian class-action suite). During the conversation with the 1st rep, I mentioned that I still had new cartridges in the box. The second rep commented that since I still had unopened cartridges, they would repair my old printer (leading me to think they may have replaced it if I hadn’t mentioned this).

At any rate, Epson has redeemed themselves in my eyes. The entire process took me less than 20 minutes, and I won’t have to rely on the $40 HP printer I bought as temporary replacement any more (it is S-L-O-W).

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/16/07 3:53 PM) reply + / -
Howdy Road Dog,

I'm also in Canada, and I might have stumbled on a solution for this blank page thing! This week my CX5400 decided to stop printing just like all the others I've been reading about. I went through the head cleaning five times with no result, then went off to the store where I bought it (with a year of extended warranty - obviously a few months short of being enough coverage.) They basically fluffed me off with no remorse, and I have been very peeved all week. My next step was to contact Business Depot's head office to lodge a complaint (still a consideration) and, if necessary, call Epson - until today.

I had a colour scan of a cheque to do this afternoon. By mistake, I used the Epson Photo Scan option which will print out immediately after scanning (I've never used this before due to the expense of Epson ink.) I was about to cancel the print, but something told me to let it run. Slowly, very slowly - the scan of the cheque began to print! After that, I tried a couple of test documents. It's not quite perfect yet, and I still have a few spots where I can see the tops of fonts missing, but quite readable. I'm going to print again right now just to be sure I'm not giving you premature hope -- hang on... YES! This is working - I just printed an e-mail and it's much better. A slight amount of smudging in a few lines, but pretty darn clear. I'm surpised that the techies on this discussion haven't known about this fix. My guess is that the amount of colour ink trying to push through that wee tube just cleaned out all that nasty guck - presto! Pepto Bismol for printers!!

Good luck with yours, and please pass this on if it works for you.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rwh (3/16/07 4:57 PM) reply + / -
Just thought I would add my story to all of the others. I too, owned the CX5400 printer, however, I have been through two of these units. About six months after I originally purchased it a couple of years ago it stopped printing. I called Epson and shipped it back to them only to get another refurbished unit. Well, about 14 months later this one did the exact same thing and wouldn't print after changing cartridges. I read all of the posts here and decided to try calling Epson again. They listened to me and I insisted that I be able to return the printer to be repaired. Well, after getting the Fed Ex shipping label from Epson, I shipped my CX5400 back about four days ago. Lo and behold TODAY I received a new CX6000 printer back as a replacement. I was expecting to have to wait 3-4 weeks for my unit to be repaired, but instead received this new model. I was told by another person who posted here to make sure I get some cartridges sent to me for the new printer since I have brand new unused cartridges for my old one that cannot be used. I will try that next. I was quite impressed at how fast they were in shipping the replacement printer. I just hope and cross my fingers that I don't have the same problem with this unit as I did the CX5400. I actually read a post somewhere that someone was complaining about this same no printing problem with the CX6000 model as well. Anyway, just thought I would share my story along with all of yours!!! I hope it works out for everyone else experiencing these same problems!!!

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/28/07 6:21 AM) reply + / -
03/28/07

I am in the process of taking the machine apart and have hit a tough spot. I have removed all the screws that I can find where the body is atached to the mechanism but I can't seem to find how to get the front of the casing to come apart. The back potion is loose but still having difficulty locating the front latches,screws, etc. Would you walk me through this? Please tell me what I need to be looking for and where.

Thanks much,

Penny
PLGoss@aol.com

Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/28/07 9:21 AM) reply + / -
03/28/07

After posting here last night and then taking the time this morning to read most of the posts above I decided to call Epson. 1-562-276-1311 Ext. 3447 I asked about their "Alternative Options" and spoke with "Lawrence". It was difficult to hear and understand what he was saying and this took some patience but in the long run it seems to have paid off. After spending some time discussing the two options he said were avavilable I asked about an option returning the unit for a replacement. He put me on hold for a couple of minutes and came back on the phone ...

They are sending me the shipping information and labels needed to send the unit back and they will replace it for FREE!

Yahoo!

So, after all this I am still dissatisfied with the product and have been looking at HP All-in-One units at OfficeMax. I use HP printers and a plotter and have been satisfied with their products due to the easy serviceability. Their cartridges are available almost everywhere so this too is good. And I think they aren't as expensive as Epson.

I'm sorry this CX5400 went out on me. I liked the machine and it's printing quality too as many others have stated here in the posts above. I agree that this is a design flaw and that Epson SHOULD HAVE run a recall on the unit.

Best of luck to all!

Penny
PLGoss@aol.com

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by bobbyt (4/6/07 8:17 AM) reply + / -
My printer stopped printing magenta several months ago. Been able to use it for most things. Have to run to someone elses printer for important prints. Tryed cleaning and different cartridges of course, no good. Called Epson and they say to only use real Epson cartridges, which I don't, and it will cost $9.95 to speak with a tech. I searched online, found this site, saw many post about repairing and calling 276-1311 Ext. 3447. That they will send labels needed to send the unit back and they will replace it or repair it for FREE! I saw that the previous post from Penny, just did this about a week ago. I called and got the same man, Laurence. He agrued with me that I first need to talk with a tech and try to resolve this on the phone. I said besides cleaning the nozzles and changing the cartridges, there is nothing I can do. And seeing how this is a common problem, I want the free replacement. He said there is no such thing. I asked him to spell his name and asked why others were given this replacement and not me. Oh, how to you know this? It doesn't matter, I said, I know for a fact that even last week you still preform this replacement. He then put me on hold to check on things and came back offering me the same deal. Sending me shipping labels to return the printer for free repair or replacement. I imagine it will be a different replacement model. I will also have to request cartridges for a new printer, as all my other ink will be useless.

Bob

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/6/07 8:34 AM) reply + / -
Friday, April, 6, 2007

Bob,

I'm glad to read that you "stuck by your guns" and "made" Laurence put you on hold and get back to you. I think the "gig is up" and Epson needs to get their act together. I went into a PC repair store here in New Mexico last Saturday afternoon where I was "directed" by Epson where the CX5400 unit is fixed. In the back in plain view I saw there were MANY units both on the floor and on the work bench. Holy Cow! I wonder how long this is going to go on? I received my shipping labels on Wednesday so I will be packing up the unit this weekend and sending it out early next week. I have thought about donating the unit I receive back from Epson to a charitable organization as I have already replaced the CX5400.

Anyways Bob, I am glad to find out that this worked for you!

Good luck!

Penny
PLGoss@aol.com

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Len G (4/6/07 10:10 AM) reply + / -
Well,it's April 6th and I finally got around to calling Epson's Customer Care this morning. The young lady I spoke to was brief and to the point. She knew the porblem before I told her. After a few questions about my contact with the support people, she offered two options. First was the discount on a new printer and second was the one time repair or replace. She told me I would receive a CX6000 if they could not repair the CX5400.

My experience, this morning, tells me Epson is finally admitting they have a problem or I was just lucky enough to get a great Customer Rep.(Her name is Nicky) She was straight forward and did not try to dance around the problem. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and was painless. Thanks Nicky

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/6/07 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Len G are you american?

To continue on with my printer problems. I actually tried printing a big file and did the EPSON scan to print as well with no luck. At that point my black ink was below 5%. I thought that I would replace that, as I will just print b&w for the time being (as I am in the process of moving soon, and I don't want to buy a new printer until after the move).

After buying the black ink and placing it in my printer it NO LONGER PRINTS anything. I went back to the low black ink cartridge and that no LONGER PRINTS ANYTHING AS WELL. I took back the new cartridge and got my money back.

It looks like I have one less thing to pack when I move. I will be taking the printer to the garbage bin.

I will send Epson Canada a nasty email about their printer and their policy as it seems like the americans are getting a better deal out of their problems. I will be going back to a HP printer once I move.

RoadDOG 3:16

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by horus (4/12/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone:

I just called Epson and followed the normal procedure through customer service. After determining the problem was hardware (no kidding!), they transferred me to another representative (by the way 10 minutes in hold, nice music though) who told me of two options: take to a service center which could be more expensive than a new printer or access to a discount website from Epson. I mentioned there is a lot of people who got shipping labels to get their printer repaired. She said it was an option the offered but was not sure if it was valid anymore. I mentioned there were people receiving labels last week, then she put me on hold to check it out. She came back and said they will be sending out the labels and will repair it for free. I do hope I get a replacement, but a free repair will be just fine.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/19/07 1:40 PM) reply + / -
Things seem to be going well for us at Epson re:the 5400. I called 276-1311 Ext. 3447 and was told I had to first talk to a tech person and was transferred to one. When I said CX5400, without any further conversation, she took my name, address, and machine S/N and said I would receive documentation in the mail to return the unit. That was 4/17. Got it today 4/19. Includes shipping label and some packaging instructions, including need for a call reference number, which I didn't have but got with a call back--easy :-)

Now we'll see what comes back

jtnt

Re: Epson CX5400 & CX46 only 'prints' blank pages! by kcronin (4/28/07 12:49 PM) reply + / -
SEE THE PENCIL PUSHING GEEK's CALCULATION BELOW

Add me to morons who have purchased this low cost ink peice of garbage. Yes I have the blank page printing problems. I have an Epson CX4600.

I was going to call them, but NOOOOOO. It is Saturday. They are only there M-F. ( when most of us work) This decision not to have customer service on weekends probaly saves them millions !!

I believe that this is a "screw the customer" problem that they have known about for a long time now supported by the fact that this is a CX4600 and same problems with a CX5400. My guess is some pencil geek told them that far more people will just go out and buy another (yeah, more sales) than go through the process of waiting on hold. Complaining, trying their fix suggestion. And then after it doesn't work calling them again. Yes, it is my belief that EPSON just doesn't care. My wife has already called them and recieved their (try cleaning the print nozzels" line) God, how do the supervisors and customer service people live with such a lie every day of their lives.

If I do not get a proper response from EPSON I am going on YouTube and EXPOSE THIS CRAP. If we expose it in large numbers they will lose the "screw the consumer game" Now we consumers have a way of getting what is fair, or at least exposing these scoundrels for their corrupt business practices. ANYBODY WITH ME?

Here is what the pencil pushing geek at EPSON HQ figured

Problem:

10,000 people have blank page problem:

Solutions we will offer:

1) upgrade to the RX620 for $159 (after $100 rebate)
2) free repair (they send shipping label and return printer after 10-14 business days)
3) $40 certificate for use at the Epson store

3,000 people will call (hey, we can get this low by not having weekend customer service) NOTE: 1,500 people will buy non-generic EPSON INK to fix the problem because the customer service people feed them the only use EPSON INK line ( yeah more sales for us)

1,000 people will call again, 2,000 have better things to do than wait for 3/4 hour and then do as the cs rep says. They will remember the horrible first experience and not want to repeat it ( human nature is to avoid pain). Oh yeah, we will NOT offer a toll free number so they will also think about their phone bill and avoid the second call.

Of the 1,000 that call again

200 will upgrade ( yeah more sales for us)
300 will take the $40 off offer ( yeah, more sales for us)
300 will take repair, but we will give them new printer only with no 100% retail markup.
200 will think about it and not come back ( buy another printer)

Great SHORT TERM business model - "when it breaks, they will buy"

So, of the 10,000 problem, at least 1,500 more HIGH MARGIN genuine EPSON ink sold. More printers sold, say 4,000 ( more often) and only 300 new printers given out plus shipping both ways. SEE THAT PEOPLE - ONLY 3% customer satisfaction cost. GIVE THAT PENCIL GEEK A RAISE !! He is a genious. Who cares about the customer anyways.

I'd like to know if anybody knows how many CX4600's to CX5400's were sold.

So, how about it EPSON, care to reply???????????

I didn't think so. Oh well, perhaps, just perhaps after the YOU TUBE show you will.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (4/28/07 1:00 PM) reply + / -
The info on how to fix the printer is in this thread. Reading is the key to success.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Michael H (4/28/07 3:54 PM) reply + / -
They sent me a brand new 7800 and it has worked fine.Even with ink cart changes..

Happy news ... by Anonymous (4/29/07 8:48 AM) reply + / -
04/29/07

USA

So, if you have read above to see that I am among those of you who have dealt with Epson I wanted to let you know that I received my replacement printer. All in good time. It's actually sitting in the box next to me on the floor. It was shipped via FedEx.

When the first CX5400 unit that I had for a a bit went out I shipped it via UPS. I don't know exactly what to do with it yet. I have bought a HP Photosmart C3180 but alas, it doesn't print very well. I admit I miss the crisp clearity of the Epson scans, printing and copying. So, I think I'll do some research into this Epson CX6000. I've read that several of you received in in exchange. How's it running for you?

Anyway, putting all the frustration and anger aside from having to deal with this issue which can really put a wrinkle in the underwear, I'm moving on. I wish all of you the best.

I may pop up in the future to see how things are going.

Good luck one and all,

Penny
PLGoss@aol.com

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (5/1/07 10:22 AM) reply + / -
Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted about the repair/replacement deal. It took me a bit more work than some who have posted. Once I got transferred to customer loyalty I was told the website was the only option. Although I persisted, I didn't get anywhere. So I called the 562-276-1311 number this morning, also spoke with Lawrence, who again tried to give me same story, but after he put me on hold, he came back saying they would do an exception and send out the labels. I may have had more difficulty because mine is out of warranty, but that seemed true for some of the other posts.

Again, thanks to those who posted - I would have never gotten the resolution without this info.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (5/8/07 2:09 PM) reply + / -
also am getting my printer repaired/replaced by epson. I also spoke to lawrence process was fairly painless but I had to insist that there was a replacement option available before he would admit to it. said it was something they had done in the past but didnt do anymore i said it had been done in just the past week and he finally said he would check on it and came back a minute later and ok'd it.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by sjw (5/10/07 9:17 PM) reply + / -
I was in the middle of printing a document for a client when the Epson died....Can you say loss of business?

After 2 years, I began having all of the problems listed in these postings concerning skips and no prints. I performed all of the head/nozzle cleaning and then contacted Epson by email. No Response. I will now try to call them and get a label to return the unit to them for free repair.
FYI This is my first Epson since the dot matrix days---I had been using HP and was really happy. However, when I saw the CX5400, I really liked all the features (Epson's selling points, I'm sure). My old HP is still going....the print quality and speed isn't as good as the CX5400 was, but at least it is reliable.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Boycott Epson (5/13/07 7:40 PM) reply + / -
I'm looking for a place to repair my Epson, too, that's only printing blank pages and found this site. What a bummer! You pay money for a "so called good product" - then you receive a class action lawsuit payment that their system deceived users by giving a false out of ink notification light and now the darn thing is printing blank pages. I've read and experience the same situations with this dump of a printer and with their customer service. Never again will I purchase an Epson anything!!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by kayhutsell (5/15/07 8:47 AM) reply + / -
I have all the same problems, I called today and they tried to send me a new printer at a discounted price until I told them about this site...Then he said it was the next option he was going to offer me....sure.....We'll see how it goes.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by myprinterbroke (5/15/07 1:12 PM) reply + / -
I'm so frustrated with the epson cx5400. I just called and talked to 'mark p' who could not give me his last name from customer relations, and he told me that he was pretty much the only person I could talk to. I got the same crap that everyone else did, first he offered to give me a discount on cx6000 for 87.50! Then after a little hesitation he offers another option of sending it in.

If this is how they do business at epson we should just sue someone.
I hope there is a LAWYER out there amongst these posts. Maybe someone can arrange a class action suit. who knows. I know I'll never buy another epson again!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Wes (5/15/07 1:20 PM) reply + / -
You are about 2 years too late for the class action. There are a lot of links with info on how to fix your printer.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by hedge (5/21/07 1:28 PM) reply + / -
We have spent days cleaning nozzles, printerheads,allignments,and changing cartridges etc., etc., It's reasurring in a sad way to hear so many similiar stories of frustration! There's lots of differing advice, can anyone tell us what we should do? Thanks, in anticipation.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Wes (5/21/07 2:30 PM) reply + / -
Read this link. http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html It's posted at least 100 times in this forum alone.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Wes (edited 5/21/07 5:04 PM) reply + / -
Ok I did a quick search and the above link ( http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html ) is posted 8,435 times. On this forum alone.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (5/21/07 7:05 PM) reply + / -
Thanx, Wes, for the link. I may in the near future go through the process of clening the print heads. i will let you know the outcome. However golf season is now in full swing so it may take some time.
Tony

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by horus (5/26/07 8:57 AM) reply + / -
Hi:

I just got a new CX6000 printer after waiting for about a month. It took a little longer than expected, but a new printer is worth that wait. I hope this one performs better than the CX5400.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by sjw (5/30/07 4:31 PM) reply + / -
OK..as of 5/29/07, I received a "resolution" from Epson!! After several attempts, I finally got through on the phone to Epson. They went through a whole routine of "verifying" all of the info that I had just given them, to include asking me to read the part number on the ink cartridges. Then they said "we can't do anything, it's out of warranty". I provided them with my complaints about serviceability, and they offered me a "discount" on other all-in-ones. Basically, I would get a $10-$12 discount on machines that only cost $99-$112 AND I would have to pay for the shipping. So, I told them that the "discount" wasn't any type of compensation for a machine that cost a lot more and should be working. When they basically said "tough luck", I told them that I knew that there were a lot of people in my predicament and that the internet was proof. They tried to play it off, and said that all of the complaints were old...I told them that there had been new postings as of 2 days ago. When the Epson Rep didn't know what to say, I asked to speak with a supervisor. She put me on hold and then came back on the phone and offered me a "free repair and shipping of the CX5400". She gave me general instructions, got my home address and 5 days later I got the shipping instructions and label to send it back through FEDEX. I shipped the unit on May 17 and received a NEW CX6000 All-In-One on May 29!! The box included all software, cartridges, etc. Too bad all those new cartridges I bought for the CX5400 won't fit. Oh well, I got a new unit....I just hope it holds up better than the CX5400. TRY THIS PROCESS...it doesn't really cost anything if you can find a box to ship the CX5400 back. FEDEX has boxes you can buy, and they will package it for you. It cost me $24.00 for a box and to have them box the unit....which was well worth it for me. The box size would never have fit in the car.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Codlock1 (5/30/07 10:18 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my CX5400! After replacing with new ink cartridges it print blank pages.Calling a Epson rep.was a joke It helped me. I'm going to go buy HP printer next . Total piece of crap.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/5/07 12:12 AM) reply + / -
I have been working on same printer for about 4 hours now so thought I would check the web. Only getting blank pages too. Brand new cartridges. I am thinking about the tube cleaning but not sure if I want to tear into it!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/8/07 9:55 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. I followed the advice of previous postings. Called Epson and told them unit only 2 yrs old, prints blank pages, only used epson ink, cleaned the print head at least 6+ times etc. Tech support said I had "hardware failure" and transfered me to customer support. They tried the discount offer with me too. I said no, the machine had a design flaw which caused the hardware failure and epson should stand behind their product. They tried to say unit was out of warranty and thats the best they could offer. I said I researched this problem and was aware that they knew the machine had this problem and had offered others the free return & repair. Also, why should I have to pay anything because they had design flaws. At first they tried to say they no longer offer the repair. After about 5 minutes they finally gave in and sent me a label for the return. This was two weeks ago. Yesterday I recieved a new CX6000. I wasn't sure they would take mine back, it was actually almost four years old. Thanks to everyone who posted how to get this done.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by anonym (6/19/07 5:35 PM) reply + / -
Great machine for over 3 years...replaced all the inks...then printed blanks. Found this site, called Epson--can't believe no 800#, they said is a fee since out of warranty, but waived $10 feed for help..then ran through diagnostics, then said nothing they could do and put me to Customer Relations. They just told me they would give me a special code for Epson website to get a great offer, but would not do anything else. Wasn't anything special, same as if went on without code. Was mad, called them again, told them, wanted them to fix the machine at no cost as others had instructed. They said would send a return label. Label came 5 days later, sent machine back and 1 week later have new CX6000. Have to see how this one does....

Epson helped me. by no_strike1005 (6/24/07 3:33 PM) reply + / -
Epson sent me a prepaid shipping label. I took my 3 year old Epson CX5400 scanner, copier, printer to the FedEx Kinkos Friday evening 5/25/2007. On Monday 06/04/2007 Fedex delivered me an Epson CX6000 with ink cartridges. I saved my old USB cable. Thank you, EPSON.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/26/07 3:06 PM) reply + / -
got the $60 rebate from the Canadian Epson to purchase one from their website - so got a lower model (maybe 4200). It lasted 8 months before the same thing happened again. So sick of epson that I bought a Samsung laser - hopefully it lasts.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by moe (6/26/07 3:17 PM) reply + / -
The new Samsung Color lasers are cute, compact and cheap ($229 at Costco). The only drawbacks are the small toner cartridges. Colors are about $50 each and do 1000 pages. If you do the math, that makes the printers basically disposable as a set of toners costs almost as much as a new printer.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mmm-no (6/26/07 6:18 PM) reply + / -
Well I have to say if feels good to have company in the misery of epson printers. Ditto on the blank pages. Called tech support. Ditto on what they said about return/repair. I was just going to suck it up and buy a new one thinking it was something I had done and was really ticked that i had purchased 2 rounds of ink for the stupid thing. They told me it would be 6 weeks for a repair....mmmmm-no! I am sending it off before I throw it off the deck.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/28/07 5:08 PM) reply + / -
I gave up on the colour part - I hardly have used it. I bought the black print only Samsung,which says cartridge averages 3000 pages. I print mainly documents, so it was a no brainer.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Parvathi (6/30/07 6:43 PM) reply + / -
I have a Epson CX5200 which prints blank pages. I am in Canada and have not used this printer much though I bought it a couple of years back. Any comments?

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by sjw (6/30/07 7:51 PM) reply + / -
The CX5200 has a lot of problems as well. The same website you visited (www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums) has other complaints regarding ink jet and blank pages. You might want to review the website and then look at Epson's website. If you don't get any info from those two sites, I would contact Epson and cite the number of complaints posted at fixyourownprinter.com and ask them for free repair and shipping of your CX5200. Don't take "no, we can't help you" as the final answer. Ask to speak to a supervisor if the service representative isn't able or willing to help you in the free repair and shipping solution.

sjw

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by dmsinger (7/3/07 6:09 PM) reply + / -
I am very happy to have come across this forum. I read all the entries from start to finish and am just shocked that a product with soooo much trouble did not get recalled.

Anyway, I call the (562)276-4382 number and was soon talking to "Mark". I told him my CX5400 was printing blank pages. He asked me some info on the type of ink I was using, how many times I did the head cleaning, etc. He then said since I am a loyal Epson customer, he will waive the $9.95 tech call fee.

Mark than said he will need to transfer me to Customer Care and they will give me some options. I was soon talking to "Tara". She was nice enough but after I told her why I was calling, she only offered me 2 things: 1, For me to take send the printer to a shop to get it fixed at my expense and 2, For her to give me a special discount on a new printer from their website.

I then asked, I want option #3, which I know MANY people have received. She said those are on a case by case basis. I said I want this to be a special case. She said OK, verified my address and said the FedEx shipping label would arrive in 7-10 business days.

All in all, only took about 12 minutes on the phone and hope this will all be behind me in about 2 weeks.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by d_wn (7/5/07 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to thank all of you who posted on this (even a year or more ago), especially those who gave step-by-step instructions on what to say and how to handle the Epson service people at (562) 276-4382. We had the exact same problem as everyone before described with a 2 year old CX5400 and spent alot buying all new ink cartridges. The first customer service girl was nice and, after taking basic information (same as those earlier posts), transferred me to the second service person pretty quickly and after he gave me the usual options, I mentioned I'd read online that they have a free repair/replacement program. He checked into it and said they'd send a free ship label, etc. It all took about 10 minutes. We received a new CX6000 as a replacement. Whole process took about 3 weeks. Told someone else we knew who had a CX5200 to do the same and they did and received a new printer also. So, except for the pain of having to deal with a problem that should have been recalled by Epson, it worked out well. all in all. Thanks again for the good information.
(Also, someone earlier did mention the "Epson repair center" Youtube videos--we watched some of those and they are excellent comedy. If we didn't get ours replaced we probably would have "repaired" it in the same way.)

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by jobers26 (7/25/07 10:52 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to everyone's posts on here I was able to call Epson and get the free "repair." I really appreciate all the information here. Thanks again.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/6/07 6:55 AM) reply + / -
Where is the "ink purge tube"?? I have this same exact model & it's been doing me the same way. I've only had this exact unit since about May 2005. This exact unit was a __replacement__ unit for this same model which was replaced under warranty for, you guessed it, this same problem... print head moves & acts like it's printing but no ink at ALL on the paper... all after the cartridges have gone their normal course of use and you've made 3 or 4 cartridge changes.

Any help give would be MUCH appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/6/07 7:29 PM) reply-1 + / -
don't waste your time trying to fix it....just request a replacement....be persistent and you will get a CX6000 (free).

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by dmsinger (8/13/07 2:38 PM) reply + / -
An update - I received a brand new CX6000 with all new Epson ink cartridges too. The Mrs's likes the new printer better as it now fits in the printer part of our desk. Thank you all who helped to make this go smoothly. DMS

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/13/07 4:16 PM) reply + / -
Same old story... 2nd replacement, then nothing but blank pages.

After almost an hour being disconnected, I get a "Loyal Customer" agent who says that my only option is to get a list of local repair companies so that I can pay for it out of my own pocket! After I tried to explain that I was told something different before being transferred, this guy basically gives me the "Thank you for choosing Epson...blah blah"...as he is hanging up on me. Arrogant ass.

I hate Epson now. And all this thing needs is the damn print head.

*Extremely pissed off*

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/14/07 3:57 AM) reply + / -
I had the hang ups, etc., but when I finally connected, I told them that i knew about the class action law suit and wanted to speak with a supervisor....I got a new printer

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by mlynn0096 (8/18/07 9:45 AM) reply + / -
hi, I have a epson cx6600 that is doing the same thing. If i ask for the free repair can they tell who purchased it and when by the numbers on it. I bought it at a yard sale,it had no cartridges in it so i bought non epson and put in it. If i do get the free repair should i send it back with no cartridges so they won"t no i used nonepson. thank you marsha

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/18/07 11:11 PM) reply + / -
you're in trouble...

1. You are not the original purchaser, and the first owner may have registered in their name. You can always tell the service rep that you acquired the printer after the purchaser may have registered the product.

2. When you call Epson, they will ask if you are using Epson cartridges and they WILL ask for the "part" number printed on the cartridge to verify that it is an Epson cartridge.

2. If you are offered a free repair, remove the cartridges--enclose a note that you already verified the cartridge parts number when you were authorized a free repair. Also state that you plan to use the cartridges with your repaired unit. You will get an instruction sheet with an authorization number, label, etc. Follow the instructions exactly.

3. To my knowledge, not one person has received a repaired printer back...Epson has been replacing the printers with new printers and the old cartridges don't work in them!!

Best of luck, please post info after you contact Epson

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/19/07 6:56 PM) reply + / -
o.k. thank you for the info. I'm going to give it a try. All they can say is no. I will post a reply after i talk to them.
thank you marsha

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/29/07 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Thank you all for your postings and help. I thought I was the only one with this issue. Same thing - 2+ years, replaced cartridges, blank pages. Made several attempts to fix before finding this site. Called 562 276 4382, talked to tech support, who walked me thru head cleaning via my computer, sent me to customer service who directed me to a repair place 120 miles away from my house or to the website for a new printer. I said this is a known problem and wanted to be part of the free repair/replacement program. The rep told me this was for customers "who were upset" (I was more resigned than upset), but asked if I would like that option, and I'm getting a shipping label in seven days. Again, thanks all. BTW... it is a great printer when it works.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (8/31/07 10:08 AM) reply + / -
Actually, they do not offer a free repair. I spent an hour on the phone with the troubleshooter doing all the things I had already tried numerous times on my own. Then they transfered me to another department and I spent 15 minutes on hold. They told me they could give me a name of a place to take mine for repairs at my own expense. As for the loyalty program, when I checked into that, there were only a few printers available through that, and not one of them was a multifunction printer. I am still looking for a replacement. It will not be an Epson.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/1/07 8:55 AM) reply + / -
you just weren't persistent enough. there is a repair service..and free replacement. I have 2 new printers to prove it. The customer service reps will NOT automatically cough up the free repair or free printer. You have to ask for them, tell them that you know that there has been a systemic problem with the printers and that you also know that free repair and replacements have been authorized. Tell them you also are aware of the class action lawsuits....ask to speak with a supervisor or someone who is in a position of authority regarding customer satisfaction.....FYI the alterntives that they offered you are there diversionary tactic to make you think that they are "helping" you. Insist on speaking with a higher level employee and tell them about the free replacement/repair and law suits...they will be able to help you.

sjw

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/5/07 10:15 AM) reply + / -
My printer has just developed the blank page problem. Tried dropping it from second storey window but doesnt seem to have fixed the problem. Do I need to go higher?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/5/07 4:26 PM) reply + / -
Yep!! Try a higher being....a supervisor at Epson...ask for free repair and shipping. If you are told no, then explain that you have read all of the internet postings and that you expect to receive at a minimum a free repair and shipping service. If not, you will join the class action lawsuit. (The supervisor won't even let you get that far...she will offer the free repair.)

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by BigBoilerDawg (9/8/07 9:28 AM) reply + / -
I have non-Epson aftermarket ink cartridges in my printer. Assuming I get the free repair/replacement service, should I take them out before I send it back them? Would they use this as an excuse to not send me a new printer?

BTW, I have had the printer for about 3 years, used aftermarket cartridges for most of that time, and never had a problem until recently.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/8/07 9:33 AM) reply + / -
Anonymous wrote:

"2. When you call Epson, they will ask if you are using Epson cartridges and they WILL ask for the "part" number printed on the cartridge to verify that it is an Epson cartridge."

Sorry, I guess I should have read the thread a little better.

Can someone tell me what part numbers are printed on all four of the Epson brand ink cartridges?

Thanks.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by alita (9/9/07 12:35 AM) reply + / -
wow i didnt know sooooo many people had the same problem!
i guess now i know what to do.
thank you!! I was going to g buy a new too. i guess i was lucky tho because i only used one new black cartridge. i still haven`t openedd the others. although mine will still print in color. but very crappy.. Which completely sucks because i needed to print my cotillion invitations..but i guess ill have to do with what i have..
=[ i was lucky..

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/9/07 8:00 AM) reply + / -
The part number is on the boxes...However, what I have is T0423 for magenta, T0424 for yellow, T0422 for cyan and I don't know the number for black....go to a store and check the top of the box...it should have the number on it.

Good Luck

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by moe (9/9/07 8:13 AM) reply + / -
Black T0421

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Frustrated in Toront (9/16/07 6:50 PM) reply + / -
Wow....lots of frustrated Epson owners out there and I guess I just joined the ranks.

My 2 year old CX5400 was printing blank pages (like the previous mails). I've replaced the cartridges with Epson ink cartridges and now it only prints pink copies for photos...blank copies for regular text. Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/16/07 6:54 PM) reply + / -
Read here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/duraink.html

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/16/07 10:12 PM) reply + / -
Looks like my printer has the same problem. It prints blank! Had about two years as well.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by epson NO more (9/24/07 8:28 AM) reply + / -
I just jumped through all the hoops over there for a second time. No supervisor, not even a blink when I mentioned threads like this one and the law suit.

All they gave me was a passcode to buy a new printer (at a discount?) that will last for only 7 days.

I also called their service centers and they all told me to go buy another printer!

HP has an all-in-one on sale locally for $139.

Forget you Epson.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/27/07 7:30 AM) reply + / -
I just followed the directions outlined here (sent an email then called after getting a reply) and after waiting on hold for the 13 minutes or so I went through the process of verifying the printer is not working by testing the nozzles etc etc and then was transferred to the next level (customer resolution I believe) and they offered me a 1 time free repair or a discount. Following the advice here I accepted the one time repair and am now waiting for my return label. I hope I get the free replacement but even a repair would be fine.

I did mention this thread and the apparent common problems that this printer has but never demanded anything nor mentioned the lawsuit....angering tech support has never helped me in the past and I saw no reason to start this time...they seemed aware of the troubles and were courteous and professional, hopefully the repair/replacement will be as easy.

Thanks, I am very glad I found this thread before I bought a new printer….I will post again once I get a replacement/repaired one back from Epson.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Michael H. (9/30/07 2:56 PM) reply + / -
glad epson is taking care of everyone pretty much. My 7800 is still rockin. I have changed ink tanks with no drama also.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Fladancer (10/5/07 12:16 AM) reply + / -
I got this 5400 out of the trash today ! I got a nice Hp 5110 from a dumpster 2 years ago . I called them and found out they had a recall on that model !

I got a new one in 10 days . Epson should do the same if you bitch enough ! I said the words ripoffreports.com !

Then they were very nice to me . I will be calling them soon .

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (10/13/07 1:32 PM) reply + / -
I have read some of these threads and the exact same thing has happened to my CX5400. I have had it a while and it has worked great until I changed the black cartridge and now it will not print at all...all I get is blank pages. I am going to call and see if I can get it repaired for free.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (10/15/07 1:54 PM) reply + / -
FYI, I just got a new CX6000 (refurb) on Friday and then another one again today....can you say ebay....

Not a bad trade for a 4 year old CX 5400........

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by trigger1937 (10/29/07 10:23 PM) reply + / -
For those of you that are interested. I have a Epson CX4600 that has done the exact same thing. It is not surprising since they are almost the exact same printer. They both use the Durabrite Ink. So I call Epson and gave the the description of my problems, and of course they rejected my plea because it is a different printer. However I insisted it was the exact same problem and reminded them of the many posts on this web site. This really seam to upset the guy on the phone and he didn't want to hear anything about the web site. He started with "I have two options for you, and I stopped him right there and said,...no I want option 3 which is a shipping label such that I can return this printer. The arguement continued because I could barely hear what he was saying. They have to be somewhere in India. So I wanted to talk to a Supervisor and he said he was a supervisor, and I finally got to understand that he was saying he was going to send me the shiping lable with instructions.

I'll be surprised if I see a new printer, I would expect they would or could fix this printer. Anyway, it is interesting to note that the same problem can happen to other printers in the same line. My conviction that this was the same problem came when I inspected the ink pad where the head is parked. I had given it a couple of ml of Windex to see if it would go through the suction tubes. Not a drop of it ever left the pads after several cleanings and power on/off cycles. So the answer is that somewhere in the ink path the tube is disconnected or open such that no ink is ever sucked out of the carts into the printhead.

I believe that the original source of the problem is that people use up all the ink and don't use the printer enough to keep it clean. The printhead become clogged and in an attempt to clean them, they use up any ink that is left in all the carts. So they buy new carts and start the cleaning process again. Somewhere in this chain, the suction force becomes so large the tube comes off. The customer doesn't know this and keeps trying to clean the printhead over and over. The Logic in the printer keeps counting these cleanings and after awhile it thinks the ink carts are empty again, but still nothing will print. The CX4600 I got from this customer showed that all ink carts were empty and was refusing to do anything, including cleaning cycles. However when I removed the ink carts they didn't seem to be empty, so I check the weight of them against a new cart and there was not any difference. The printer thought the ink carts were empty but they are probably almost full. This is because no ink was ever really sucked out of them.

The design flaw for these printers is that if the printhead ever gets clogged and you do a lot of cleanings to try and un-clog it, this can build up pressure and rupture the suction line. After that it is all down hill.

The real question is,... For the people that got the new printers, is this design problem fixed, or just waiting in the bottom of the printer to "Strike Again". If any of you that got them are still watching this post,... let us know how things are working.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Michael H. (10/30/07 7:36 PM) reply + / -
Hey Trigger,
You will score a new printer. As posted earlier, my 7800 is rocking large after several carts changes. Epson fixed the prob. I have large downtimes on the printer. Works super great when I fire it up.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (10/31/07 4:33 PM) reply + / -
Trigger: you should get a new printer from Epson....FYI, I used my printer numerous times on a daily basis, kept up with the cleanings, etc....loved the 5400! Used it in my business...then it failed. I had a "technie" tell me that Epson had created a product line that was failing the longevity test and that it was creating "new" customers by offering the discount on other models. I have no way of knowing if this is true...it could have just been the "technie" venting.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/3/07 1:27 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. I have had my printer for about three years. I repalced all of the ink because the light was on. Now it too prints blank pages. I called technical support, and she insisited that I take it to a technician. I am going to try to see if it's clogged, and if not, I'm calling them back. My printer is out of warranty also. This doesn't make any since.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/6/07 4:13 PM) reply + / -
I am from Canada and had the same kind of problems and it was 4 years old.I followed the above advice and was persistent and didn't want a discount coupon. I now have a free new printer from Epson (although they don't want all of you to know about it).

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/10/07 8:11 AM) reply + / -
I was using the printer off of Windows 98- it was working fine. I just upgrades my cpu and Now I have windows Vista and the printer ink is not flowing out? I think my problem is the driver is not compatible with Windows vista - What version of Windows are you using? Have you just switched to Vista?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/10/07 6:14 PM) reply + / -
it could be a problem, some versions of Windows don't recognize some printers because they're incompatible with all of the options that the newer versions of Windows has available. However, my husband has Vista and has an older printer. If you still have your old printer disk, insert the disk, go on line and see if you can't update through the web site for your printer drivers. Some times you may have to re-configure the printer/computer connection.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by ronesr (11/25/07 9:36 PM) reply + / -
All I can add is the fact that the same problems listed have turned me off from buying any more Epson products

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by rstanif (11/27/07 8:18 PM) reply + / -
Unlike everybody else in this forum, I didn't buy my Epson CX5400. I found it in a garbage dump. I brought the thing home, downloaded the drivers and fired it up. Despite having full cartridges, the thing prints BLANK PAGES! I am extremely upset with Epson. Normally when I find junk, I can make it work. However, in this case, I have expended valuable calories fishing the printer out of a garbage dump -- and now I have to walk back to the garbage dump to chuck it out. I intend to bang the machine several times with a hammer so that other garbage pickers will not be inclined to waste their time resurrecting the thing. Roses are roses but Epsons are junk.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Paua (1/16/08 12:20 PM) reply + / -
Look again at what you wrote and ask if it was necessary

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (1/24/08 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Boring. You buy a printer that 10 years ago would have cost you three times the amount, use junky inks in it and blame EPSON! You are mad. You do not understand the print head technology, viscosity of the ink and how it is integral. Yes some of you may have genuinely experienced a problem with the tube coming off (gee how many head cleans caused that, trying to clear the dried, blocked ink caused by other ink or inactivity) you contribute nothing to the company in terms of ink cartridge sales (just buy the reasonably priced printer initially) and then talk about jumping through hoops to get a free printer from EPSON when you use junk ink with it. It's not the printer that deserves a whack, it's you!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by qwaneasia (2/5/08 12:10 PM) reply + / -
HELP ME!!!!!!! TOO SHAKY TO DISASSEMBLE THE PRINTER, EPSON WILL NOT SEND ME A REPLACEMENT BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE RECEIPT FOR IT! EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE! (SCANNER) I GOT IT A A GARAGE SALE FOR 25 BUCKS, SPENT 80 IN INK ALREADY DID CLEANER PRINTER HEAD CLEANING AND ALL THAT. WHAT DO I DO WITHOUT A SALE RECEIPT. (518) 695-7008 QWANEASIA@YAHOO.COM

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by epsonshmepson (2/7/08 5:58 AM) reply + / -
Can I just say, Paua, where's your sense of humour?

And thank you 'Anonymous' (1/24/08) for your insight. You are right, we don't understand printer technology enough to accept a modern printer should only last a year. Epson should insist on a enlightenment course before allowing us near one of their products.

Finally qwanaesia, what can I tell ya? Read all of the above and weep. Find another garage sale and buy another printer. Any other printer. Just not an Epson.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (2/7/08 9:34 AM) reply + / -
it would take hours, i try to disasemble the damn thing and now i dont know where this other hose goes, and yes it was hard old ink bloking the hose, but i will go to the disasemble website! thank you. am feeling alittle better but the job was MESSY! like it was said to be!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Grindolf (2/11/08 8:58 AM) reply + / -

Hey everyone, for us Canadians I live in Calgary Alberta and my printer started printing blank pages, I was going to fix it my self until I read this forum and was kinda shocked. But I called the 1-562-276-1311 anyway and talked to a very nice woman who is fed-ex'ing a printer that is refurbished (I'm probably getting one of your printers lol) and I just take the printer out of the box put my current broken printer in and using the free fed ex labels just get it shipped back.

Its kinda demented that they are sending the printer first but I guess being in Canada they find us trusting or somthing, but yeah Im pretty happy but also annoyed becuase I just know the replacement wont last too long, it only has a 30 day warrenty lol.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by qwaneasia (2/12/08 2:10 PM) reply + / -
well i trashed the darn thing, my friend said i should have kept it and use the scanner, but who wants to buy another printer and use it to print off the scanner, thats just to much, and im not THAT ghetto. plugging up the scanner then unplugging it just to plug up the printer, and visa versa, thats nutty, well good luck people! i may just use this thread for something else one day! i add you to my address list! have a blessed and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Grindolf (2/14/08 10:34 AM) reply + / -

Well holy hell, 2 days later after I called I got a box from fed ex that had a new CX6000 inside ! and new ink !, the lady said that even though I was in canada its all done through the same office and she could send the replacement, they how ever failed to include fed ex stickers to send them back my old printer, so im confused as now it appears after 1 call and 2 minuites I got a whole new printer for free, how badly were they sued ?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (2/16/08 4:16 PM) reply + / -
Same problem with the Epson CX5400...
emailing them about repair was useless...

Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

It appears as though the hardware itself is malfunctioning and will
require
service. You can take the unit to an Epson Customer Care Center for
repair,
if your product is no longer within its one-year warranty period (from
the
original date of purchase).

To locate an authorized service center in your area

1. Go to www.epson.com/support

2. Select A Service Center under HELP ME FIND….

3. Type all or a portion of the product name and click GO to start the
search.

Please keep in mind that in some cases, the cost of a new product may
be a
more cost effective solution than servicing. For information about
Epson’s
current product line you can check our web site at www.epson.com. You
can
also contact our Pre-Sales department at (800) 463-7766 and speak to a
live
representative. They will assist with finding a product that suits your
needs. Our staff can be reached from 9 AM to 9 PM EST or 6 AM to 6 PM
PST
from Monday through Friday (except holidays). If you choose to call be
sure
to mention that you are an Epson customer.

If your printer is still within its one-year warranty period (from the
original date of purchase) please contact the Epson Connection at
562-276-4382 when you are with your computer and printer setup. The
representative will assist you with a brief telephone diagnostic to
confirm
the need for replacement. Our staff can be reached from 9 AM to 9 PM
EST or
6 AM to 6 PM PST from Monday through Friday (except holidays).

WHOLE UNIT EXCHANGE - Epson will ship you a replacement unit, freight
prepaid. You are responsible for returning the defective printer to
Epson
within seven (7) working days of receipt of the replacement unit (we
will
include return instructions and you can use the same packaging from the
replacement unit to ship the original printer back to EPSON). Please be
ready to provide your credit card number to secure the cost of the
replacement printer in the event that you fail to return the defective
one
(security deposit will not be reflected on your monthly statement).
Replacement units will be the same model or another model of equivalent
features and may be new or refurbished to the Epson standard of
quality.
Replacement units assume the remaining warranty period of your original
unit.

Exchanges must be done by phone for security purposes. Do not include
credit card information in emails.

We accept: American Express, Discover, MasterCard and VISA.

If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please
ensure
all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we
can
better track the history of this issue.

If you have a different issue, please submit another E-form via our
website
(http://www.epson.com), and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank
you
again for contacting Epson.

Ken R
Epson Connection

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (2/27/08 5:16 AM) reply + / -
So my printer develops the same issue. Only prints blank pages even though it has a brand new cartridge. Support was useless and after calling in to the number listed here I was told that the "exchange plan" had expired as of December. What a load of crap.

Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/11/08 4:29 PM) reply + / -
I just got off the phone (562-276-1311) and when I explained my problem and what I had read here she said they don't know anything about replacing any cx5400 printers. Basically if I didn't get the information from an Epson website than she could not verify it. She told me to call service but there would be a charge. I told her that I would be sure to post here what she said and that I would throw the printer in the trash and go out and by an HP. She said that was ok with her and we ended our conversation.

HP has a nice wireless all in one for $135. I'm using one now at my business and am very happy with it. No more Epson products for me!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/12/08 11:41 AM) reply + / -
hi, i had the same printing blank page
but then i fixed the common hose's problem , and then i tested printing it , it was fine for 4 pages, after that , it printed blank page again, then i checked back the common hose's problem , but the hose was attached fine, anyone has idea what other probelm will printa blank page?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by wawa1234 (edited 3/12/08 10:17 PM) reply + / -
Just bought four new ink cartridges yesterday and my Epson CX5400 still prints blank pages. Is there any way I can get my money back for the new ink cartridges that didn't solve the problem? All four cartridges are genuine Epson products and cost $83.12. If I can get my money back for these ink cartridges, I'll just dump the printer. I'm not mechanically inclined and frankly, I don't have the time or energy to tinker with this printer. (PS: The printer was given to me...all ink cartridges were empty, so naturally, I thought all it needed was ink. I realize now that I should have googled before buying the ink!!!!)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by hpwizard (3/13/08 9:20 AM) reply+1 + / -
The reason the hose comes off usually is that the tubes become blocked with dry ink, especially where it goes into the waste pads, its a messy job! But can be done. Blocked tubes will also cause blank pages.
Hope this helps?

Dazz UK

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by anonymous (3/13/08 2:37 PM) reply-1 + / -
FYI: I read online that there was a law suit against Epson and they had to pay up. However, they kept that little bit of business as hush hush as possible and continued to sell what they knew were defective products. Their remedy was to offer the refurbished units or offer a "discount" on their other products. Some people have received as many as 2 new printers from Epson because of all the problems with the CX5400. The only way that I know of to get your money back is to advertise online (like EBay) or take the cartridges in to a store that offers a "reward" for used or opened ink cartridges. Also, if you read most warranties, if you tamper or attempt to repair a printer yourself, then you void the warranty because you are not a "licensed or authorized" repair technician. Be careful when you flip the lid and tinker--

Also, to "anonymous" posted on 1/24/08, I know a lot about computer technology--being a computer system specialist, it kind of requires it. I used all of the expensive Epson supplies and still had the same problems described. Epson and you are out of line in taking the stance that "users are abusers" and due to our "ignorance" we deserve what we get. If you buy a piece of equipment, you expect it to work, this is one of the reasons why we have a Consumer Protection Office at the federal and state level---to help protect us from unscrupulous businesses, their practices and people who defend/sell defective products. It's all summed up in a little legal phrase "expectation of serviceability"--which means you expect to be able to use the product you purchased for the purpose for which it was intended.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by NoMoreEpson (4/1/08 4:59 AM) reply + / -
Wow--I came across this after having the same problem with my C82. Unfortunately I bought and opened all new cartridges (over $75) and cannot return them. Epson first sent me the form letter regarding my "prints blank pages" problem. Then when I called them, they played dumb. NO MORE EPSON!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by zambussi (4/1/08 5:48 AM) reply + / -
We've been having a problem with NEW CX5900's that print a blank page.

What we have found is that if you tell the printer to make a copy in PHOTO MODE it does print, yet a nozzle check from the printer, or a print from the PC yield nothing.

On all of these units so far, we have found the firmware to be corrupt. Loading a fresh copy has always fixed the problem.

For those of you having this problem, please try to make a photocopy in PHOTO MODE. If it works, then it's a firmware issue.

Epson claims they have never seen this problem before !

Please then tell me if you are using original or compatible cartridges or refillable cartridges.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Stnick7 (4/23/08 8:07 AM) reply + / -
I just called Epson about my CX5400. She gave me a minor hard time but gave in when I said I knew about the lawsuit. She said it was discharged in 2006 and they had no obligation to fulfill it. I insisted nicely that they had an ethical obligation. She put me on hold for awhile, then said they would (on a 1 time basis) send me a refurbished printer but probably a more updated one since they weren't making the 5400 any more. There is only a 30 day warranty and she wouldn't yield on that. They do not want my existing 5400 back. She encouraged me to recycle it. Where the heck do I do that???

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by markoffusa (5/11/08 3:40 PM) reply + / -
One thing I have noticed many fail to address.. When many attempt clean the nozzles using a syringe the cleaning solution at times will leak out on the bottom platform where the nozzles stick up from. Well epson really goofed when they did the engineering.. If you are facing the printer and you look at the bottom of the black tray where the nozzles stick up from on the right you will see a notch cut out on the tray which allows any fluid to leak out. Along side of that notch the ribbon that attaches to the head is located there.. So when many attempt to clean their heads any liquid that spills onto the bottom platform will leak out where that notch is and flow down the ribbon and guess what it eventually makes its way down to the end of the ribbon that plugs into the head. At the end of that ribbon the contacts are exposed so when the water or fluid leaks out when attempting to clean the heads gravity simply leads it down the ribbon and shorts out the contacts thus making your printer worthless. I have disassembled many CX-5400 AND CX-5200 and have found corroded ribbon contacts from prior owners trying to clean the heads not realizing the cleaning solution made its way down the ribbon to the contacts that ended up a corroded mess. Even when changing cartridges if they are not sealing right and ink leaks out it will cause the same problem.. I have heard many claiming the printer just stops printing. I am confident that this very reason is the cause..

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by anonymous (5/11/08 5:00 PM) reply + / -
Not in my case...I NEVER opened that little boy up....I knew that if I did, I would be voiding the warranty. Remember, Epson has had to pay a class action lawsuit due to the CX5400 defects.

Re: Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (6/20/08 11:23 AM) reply + / -
What number did you call and is your refurbished printer still working?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by zambussi (6/23/08 4:29 AM) reply-1 + / -
This problem of corrosion is actually on most of the Epson models - Epson designed their printers for this to happen should anyone use cleaning kits on their printers !

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by reuby (9/17/08 3:12 AM) reply + / -
Epson, online help. where absolutly no help.

they advised that I take the printer to a repair center. I dreading to find out how much its going to cost to replace the nozzels

I wish that i had never bought an Epson they are absolute SHITE!!!!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/17/08 10:34 AM) reply-1 + / -
Don't repair it....Epson should cough up some money or a replacement.....keep asking to speak with a supervisor and mention how many others have had this problem...also the class action lawsuit.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by reuby (9/19/08 8:40 AM) reply + / -
But the printer is out of warrenty ?

Anymore advise? or a number to call.

thanks

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/19/08 12:04 PM) reply + / -
Mine was 2 yrs old...which is about the time frame that everyone starts having this problem. It's called built-in obsolecense (spelling?), a term used when companies make something, knowing that the product will stop working within a short period of time, and they can sell another product to the consumer.

It doesn't matter if the printer was out of warranty. The Federal and State Consumer Affairs offices and the LAW have a term that is used: implied warranty of servicibility.....In other words, you bought it, you expect it to work. Since Epson was successfully sued in a class action law suit for this very same printer, you know they have liability....the law suit already proved that. Just keep bugging Epson and don't let the person(s) who answer the phone push you around....keep saying you want to speak to someone who has the authority to provide you with the customer service that you expect and paid for when you purchased the printer.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by reuby (9/22/08 3:06 AM) reply + / -
I'm not sure if this will apply to the UK. ?

When i spoke to one person, they said that there was no law suit within the EU about any CX5400 printer problems

What do you suggest.?

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/22/08 10:35 PM) reply + / -
The lawsuit was in the US....Go on line and find out the name of the president of Epson, or at least the Executive VP of Customer Relations. Write him/her a letter and state your problem....pointing out nicely that you understand that american citizens have received free replacements for their CX5400 printers. Ask for the same customer service for UK customers.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/23/08 12:31 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem several years ago before the whole class action lawsuit. I took the free repair option, and best I could tell, they actually repaired mine (instead of giving me a new printer). I did waste some ink trying to clean the heads over and over, but the experience with Epson customer service was pretty painless--even though the printer was out of warranty. My printer/scanner is still working today, and besides that one major problem, has pretty much worked fine since I got it in the Fall of '03.
I think people to have to realize that if they don't use the printer on a regular basis, ink dries up, and heads (jets) get clogged. This happens to some extent with most any type of modern ink jet printer and any type of ink. Since my repair, I have been using my printer on a more regular basis, and have never had the problem reoccur. It is also worth noting that I now buy generic refurbished ink cartridges online for real cheap, and they seem to print as well as the "genuine Epson" ones.
Nowadays, there aren't really printer manufacturers. Just ink suppliers that give you a good deal on a printer so that you will buy their expensive ink. If you think about it, if every time you ran out of ink you just bought a new printer (with its supplied ink), you'd just be spending a little extra and would have a brand new printer!

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (9/24/08 12:27 PM) reply + / -

I and other people that I know, used their CX5400s on a daily basis, it wasn't a dry inkjet problem. Epson even admitted as much in the lawsuit. But, I have had printers that get too much ink flowing from the cartridge through the print "head" system and that can kunk up the printer....You either get that repaired or try to fix it yourself. Unfortunately, when you try to fix the problem yourself, you void the warranty and any liklihood of a replacement.

You are right about the ink....But some manufacturers will offer "reduced" prices if you order from their website. Staples has a cartridge return program whereby you receive credit for the empty cartridge toward other purchases.

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (11/20/08 11:10 AM) reply + / -
Glad I did a search and got this page. I can not believe it. I loved this printer. After 4 years only blank pages. the craziest thing I ever have seen. Guess I was lucky it lasted that long and yes I use it all the time to print. In this case guess I should be happy..

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (2/15/09 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Yes Me Also
EPSON I Now Know Is JUNK

Re: Epson CX5400 only 'prints' blank pages! by Anonymous (3/29/09 4:56 PM) reply + / -
i had the same problem with mine epson cx-5400!!
i tryed everything! cleaned the heads cartridges, but nothing work out! so i had an idea to spray contact electronics cleaner all over the guts and the cartridges contacts, virtually everywhere!!!!!!!!! it works now!! umbelievable!! so after dumping this machine i would suggest that you guys try this.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters