fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Kare (5/18/05 9:23 AM) reply-1 + / -
I have an Epson rx500 and I have an error message "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". My red Led light is staying on and the printer won't print at all. My printer is now 16 months old and out of warranty. Service was a waste of time, all they had me do was unplug and re plug in the printer to no avail. I have read to use the SSC Service Utility but it will not work with the RX500, I have tried repeatedly to find some sort of program to reset the internal counter for the ink waste pads. I have searched the web high and low and can't find any way to reset my printer. Can anyone help? Please?

Thanks,
Kare~

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by newuser (5/18/05 11:53 AM) reply + / -
Ssclg declares compatibility with Rx500 since version 3.51. Sometimes some printer utilities block communications between Sscservice and printer, I've put some suggestions here:

www.myprinter.altervista.org/simplefaq/mysimplefaq.html#counter

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Kare (5/18/05 12:26 PM) reply + / -
I did already download and install the SSC Service Utility and set it to Ink Freezer but my printer is still not working at all. The red led light is still on and I have rebooted the computer with the printer on and off and nothing happens. I have tired a series of buttons to press or hold to reset the counter and that has not helped either. I am stumped and in desperate need of using my printer. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kare~

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by newuser (5/18/05 12:45 PM) reply + / -
Remove the Epson status agent from your system, reboot the system and turn off any epson utility you can see in the task list and in the service list.

Launch sscservice and perform a soft reset, then try resetting the protection counter.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Kare (5/18/05 1:45 PM) reply + / -
OK, well I did all that you suggested and I still can't get any results :-( I just can't seem to get it to reset no matter what I try. Any other ideas?

Kare~

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by clh (5/21/05 1:46 AM) reply + / -
**>EPSON RX500 WAST INK COUNTER RESET<**

Press and HOLD all following buttons: Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS. After this printer turns on, you'll see "Init eeprom" on printer screen. Press Color button to clear protection counter.

I HAVE A QUESTION: Anyone have instructions for disassembly to get to the waste ink pads in the Photo RX500?

Thanks.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by FabioCuomo (6/14/05 11:24 AM) reply + / -
Same problem and the printer is blocked requesting service. The SSC utility is not able to reset the waste ink counter. I found a different one on this site: http://www.resetters.com/downloadfiles.php, but they provide the utility only to their customers, and they sell only in Russia! Can anyone provide me a tool to unblock the printer?

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by rickwookie (6/19/05 11:53 AM) reply + / -
The method described above:

Press and HOLD all following buttons: Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS. After this printer turns on, you'll see "Init eeprom" on printer screen. Press Color button to clear protection counter

Works perfectly! Great.

I had to continue to hold the buttons intil "Init Eeprom" appeared, but anyway.

I think it's outrageous that epson build these "safeguards" into their products without any mention in the documentation and with apparently know training on it for their support staff.

If one knew that the printer would need a service every 18 months (at least it seems) then it would be a far less atractive product in the first place.

Rant over.

Cheers.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by angels (7/2/05 9:02 PM) reply + / -
Our RX500 will not start. It is about 6 months old and has been problem free until today.I downloaded the SSC utility but it tells me that I have another problem. I have unplugged the cables but either no lights come on or the load/eject, memory card, & scan light up. It does not respond to any of my actions.I have tried holding the following buttons (as suggested on this site) but still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do to have a functioning printer?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (2/8/06 5:18 PM) reply+1 + / -
This really works, thanks sooooooooo much. Now i don`t have to buy a new one for now. Thanks

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by lukky (2/9/06 7:41 PM) reply + / -
I tried using the command as mentioned but it does not seem to work for me. I held all the buttons down as mentioned and the the message "Init eeprom" comes up and underneath it says "push power sw". I pushed the color button as mentioned but nothing seems to happen. Am i doing something wrong? Please HELP!!!!!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/8/06 11:36 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem. I pushed the five buttons and the error was less.
The printer is working but the paper is white. Many trys to cleaning the printhead
was not sucessfull. I think the nozzles are free, however, the ink is'nt come on the paper.
Any ideas?
PS: Sorry for my english (german guy)

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (5/31/06 9:58 PM) reply + / -
Those of you who are using CIS with this printer should make sure that the inks lines does not get in the way of the cartriges from going left to right. Duck tape the lines above the cartriges allowing them to bend. If the cartriges can't move freely, you will get an error.

T

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (6/9/06 8:58 AM) reply + / -
you guys are wonderful tech support hinted to look on line i did you were here ,and in 10 min my printer is up working thanks,,, i see there is a sponge on the left full of ink (can )or should i clean it

Epson Rx500 won't power on Please Help by scappoosebliss (6/15/06 7:59 AM) reply + / -
My printer is about 15 months old, I remember purchasing it after I went back to college and that was January of 2005. It has worked fine up until last month when it locked up and wouldn't respond to the computer or any button punches. Epson support tells me that it is a hardware problem and that I need to take it in for service. They also said that it may be more cost effective to buy a new one! Thanks!!! Well it won't be an epson if all I get is 15 months! Anyway enough ranting.

The light on the scanner is on when I open the cover, tells me there is power to the printer, but no other lights will come on. I can't afford t take it in for service as I am a full time student barely making it as it is. So I am looking for advice to fix the darn thing myself. I had better luck fixing the laser printers at my old job than the service shop(faster and cheaper) so I am ready to give it a try. At this point in time I am very disheartened by the epson product! I have an old (10+ years)HP that my kids still use daily and I have had no problems with!
Any suggestions would be great! I even tried holding all the buttons down like the previous post but no luck.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by danno (6/15/06 8:18 AM) reply + / -
AWESOME, this printer is one i support at work and i called epson about the exact error reported at the top. they told me to unplug and make sure it is plugged directly into a wall outlet?? whatever. i held the 5 buttons, waited for eeprom, i think i pressed the power at "push power sw". turned it back on and it is ready to go. BRILLIANT! Big thanks, save the company some dough and come out a hero. May have to use it at my desk for a bit though...

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (6/20/06 7:14 AM) reply + / -

Thank you very very much.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by J Gale (7/26/06 10:14 AM) reply + / -
Just finished pushing the 5 buttons making sure all 4 were down before i pushed the power on. Init eeprom appears and after releasing the 5 buttons and pushing the color button nothing happened. I then turned the printer off then on and the printer came up normally but haven't tried printing. By using replace ink cartridge from the printer, the head scooted over far enough to see the ink pads. I unplugged the data cable from the back and then by hand moved the print heads to the left. Using tissue paper I blotted the ink pads until they no longer appeared wet. I bought a cartridge resetter from ebay and that works well to reset the cartridges. I bought a micro scale to determine by comparison how much ink was left. Such procedures should never happen to a customer oriented company.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (7/29/06 11:17 AM) reply + / -
My printer had just quit on me today. I did the reset suggested - and it worked! Saved me time on the phone with Epson and bringing in the printer. Thanks for the knowledge and expertise!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by benjo (1/11/07 4:10 PM) reply + / -
PROBLEM REPORT
problem: from printer sartup

Detailed Description of Problem:
xxx ink catrage error replacement cartage nessary
this is before replacement and after replacement of all epson own brand
cartages.
ive tryed not loading cartges error no cartages comes up so its reading the
cartages chip however when the cartages are in non of the buttons work and
the copy button is lit-up, the same happens with no cartages in. `The computer recognizes that
the printer is there but also shows all cartages are empty

Iev used Press and HOLD all following buttons: Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS but to no avale

where do i go next

ps use mac os 10.4
ps the cartages are not damged for
shore ben

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (1/23/07 11:45 AM) reply + / -
Thankyou very much this rx500 nearly went in the bin. Your solution works.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Param (4/6/07 3:39 AM) reply + / -
Yesterday out of blue the printer stopped. Today I typed in a search request for help and this thread came up.

Problem solved in 10 minutes. Many thanks for this support and advice in the modern technological jungle.

Param

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Daemonicus (4/16/07 11:09 AM) reply + / -
Hi

I have had the same problem as mentioned above (printer error - see your documentation and call service if necessary). I have tried resetting using Stop/Colour/BW/LoadEject/Pwr and the Clear/Setup/Pwr one but neither work for me. I have been googling for over an hour and can not clear this problem. We did have a paper jam at the start of this problem and a lot of ink was ejected into the pads (I have cleaned them and reset ink counter using SSC). Can anyone offer me anymore help? Also has anyone got a good link to a service manual so I can strip down and change all of the ink pads.

TIA

Dave.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Fabrizio D'Andrea (6/13/07 4:18 AM) reply + / -
Parti all'interno della stampante sono prossime alla fine del proprio ciclo di servizio. Consultare la documentazione della stampante.
This is the message error

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by kelther (7/31/07 7:26 PM) reply + / -
i just wanted to say thanks for the fix for my epson . i just changed ink and was cleaning heads when i got printer error . i called tech service they gave me a discount code for a new printer online as they said i'd have to take mine to a shop and nearest shop is 3 states over from me . i looked on line just as i was getting ready to unhook and throw out . THANK YOU for the button code fix .

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Stephen Utting (8/1/07 3:28 AM) reply + / -
Some weeks ago I used a Smart Card in the card slot to transfer pictures to the desktop. I carried out the correct removal procedure but keep getting a panel with an error message telling me I had 'removed hardware incorrectly' plus a list showing the one remaining USB device plus another USB device which is not present. This stops the printer in the middle of printing and as the day progresses the error panel becomes more frequent. How can I cure this problem please?

Re: Epsonrx420needs to be reset Please Help by jed (8/2/07 8:46 AM) reply + / -
somone pls help

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by srwms2792 (8/21/07 12:17 AM) reply + / -
Hi Everyone!

I too am having the printer error problem and I've tried pressing all the buttons, and it still doesn't work. I use a Mac computer. Can anyone make any other suggestions. I am desperate!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by lamtom (8/22/07 4:46 AM) reply + / -
Hi my printer was showing an error so i followed the advise listed and it is now free of the error report and seems to be working as it should except there is no print on the pages.Can anyone help please

Thanks rickwookie by danang (9/7/07 7:36 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. My printer is rx510. But Alhamdulillah I have solve my problem by follow your instruction. Thank you very much.
ps: I am from Indonesia, god bless you all

Re: Thanks rickwookie by WaveGuide (9/8/07 5:13 AM) reply + / -
Is this what you're all looking for?
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

JaX

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Gregory Kennedy (9/21/07 7:01 PM) reply + / -
Pushed the buttons and it worked great.
The people on the service list from epson never heard of this or wouldn't suggest it and the second tier man at Epson said that there was some kind of reset program available on the internet but that it had a fee attached to it. THANKS to whoever came up with this.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by HappyNow (9/27/07 6:03 PM) reply + / -
I just had the same problem, pushed the buttons, and after a couple of tries, figured out the right timing,and exact sequence, but I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly what worked! I could do a copy using the scanner right away, but noticed that some of my options had been reset. However, when I tried to print, nothing happened, so I looked at the printer queue, and it said that the printer was paused. Using Control Panel, I accessed the printer and Faxes screen, did a left click on the printer, unchecked paused, and now my printer is working fine again.

I also called Epson support, and was told I'd have to mail my printer into a service center, since there are none nearby. The support rep also directed me to an Epson loyal customer website where she said, prices were greatly reduced. There was no mention by the tech support person of trying the reset procedure. Oh well, it shouldn't surprise us that Epson would like to get more of our money, especially since many of us have figured out how to get much cheaper ink then Epson sells.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (10/21/07 7:56 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem did you get it fixed?

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by mgbill (10/24/07 1:42 PM) reply + / -
For those of you who have been unable to re-set your printers, no matter what, perhaps it is because the "waste ink" counter has tripped and shut everything down, locking the printer up. If this is the case, when you turn on your RX500, the red warning light comes on, none of the other buttons light up and the LCD may read "some printer parts have reached the end of their service life".
A solution to this problem was posted on this web site on 11/10/06 by "tmullins" titled "epson rx500". It reads as follows:

Here's how to reset the waste ink counter.
Hold down the "clear + Setup + On" buttons until the printer powers on, then off, and back on again. Let go of the three buttons when the LCD screen flashes a blank screen or contains a message that remains constant (mine read COPY ENDURANCE). Punch the right SELECT button until "Rst. Ink OFC" shows on the LCD screen. Press the COLOR button and follow the directions on the LCD screen--your Waste Ink Counter is reset.
Don't forget to clean or replace the saturated waste ink sponges.
Like so many of you, I was frustrated with this problem and was ready to go out and buy a new printer, but something told me to type "Epson RX500 Repairs" in the search bar and behold, the first post I saw on this web site dealt with the same problem I had.
I followed the above described steps and "wham" my printer is working properly again. I fully understand why Epson calls this a Waste Ink Counter. If you run a NOZZLE CHECK, of course, ink is used to produce a pattern check for all six colors. If one of the patterns is faulty, a HEAD CLEANING procedure will use ink to unclog the affected head. The problem is that the remaining five heads are also cleaned even though they didn't need it (wasted ink). If you replace a cartridge, it is CHARGED by using its ink to prime the cartridge. The problem is that not only is the new cartridge CHARGED, but the remaining five cartridges are charged as well, even though they didn't need it (more wasted ink). I bought my Epson RX500 when they first came out so I've had it for a few years now and it has served me well all this time until this "mysterious" situation came up. By the way, once the OEM cartridges ran out of ink, I immediately started using compatible inks from either www.123inkjets or www.all-ink with excellent results at a fraction of the outrageous cost of OEM cartridges. If you use aftermarket inks, be sure you are getting Dye based ink, not Pigmented ink, because the Epson RX500 is setup to use Dye based ink and if you switch between Dye and Pigmented inks, you can end up with a serious mess on your hands. By the way. I also bought a Chip Resetter that allows me to reset the chip on a supposedly empty cartridge which makes the printer think a new cartridge has been installed. I have gotten as much as two extra weeks of printing out of a so-called empty cartridge using this Chip Resetter.
The more I'm learning about the mysterious steps necessary to keep this printer working, and about all the "ink" problems associated with this unit, the more fully I understand why Epson lost a class-action suit filed against them over their "ink".
I hope this will be helpful for some of you who are at your wits end.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by done (12/15/07 1:27 PM) reply + / -
i have tried it all and now im throwing this complete piece of crap where it belongs and im going to buy a box of good ole reliable crayons.
Not really but i am throwing this wasye of money away.....it didnt survive my one and only ink replacement..this is the second time this has happened with two different models from epson...i will never buy another epson product again....but thanks to you all for this page and its information.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by del-l-rich (12/26/07 7:09 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson rx500 and I have an error message "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". My red Led light is staying on and the printer won't print

Re: Epson Rx500 will not work can you Help? by del-l-rich (12/26/07 7:19 AM) reply + / -
I have an Epson rx500 and I have an error message "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". My red Led light is staying on and the printer won't print

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Isamu (2/13/08 9:35 AM) reply + / -
Perfect! After holding down the 5 buttons (about 7-15 seconds) the printer is working great! Thanks guys, very helpful!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by amohamm (3/25/08 8:28 PM) reply + / -
I have tried the three button and the five button nothing seems to work , the printer was sitting for a week with a red light for loading the black cartridge. when it did not respond i pulled the power to restart it and could not bring it back to life again. it has been a good printer , maybe time to buy a new one, i will try again tomorrow and check the website for more help.

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/26/08 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for posting this "fix" on the internet! I had talked with service at Epson and gotten nowhere. I was about to throw the darn thing out.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by bstokes (3/27/08 7:21 AM) reply + / -
I did all the 3 steps and the 5 steps suggestion, no go.

The printer seems to ignore the PC. Will not communicate.

The printer is to expensive to toss. However, if it is true that after 13 - 15 month you start getting trouble with Epson, I will not buy an Epson again. This is my second.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by bstokes (3/28/08 6:11 AM) reply + / -
HOW DO I GET TO THE WASTE SPONGES.
I AM NOT TECH Savy.

THanks

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/28/08 1:17 PM) reply + / -
Hi bstokes,
Based on your remarks on 3/27/08 and your inquiry about the waste ink sponge(s) on 3/28/08, I assume you were successful in entering the code to re-set your waste ink counter.
There are several suggestions out there regarding the procedure to clean up or replace the waste ink sponge(s). Personally, I used the procedure of simply opening the printer so that the cartridge carrier track is exposed. On the extreme left side of the carrier track is a waste ink sponge. I simply used tissue paper and "dobbed" absorbed all the ink from that sponge that I could; the ink absorbed on the tissue paper was multi-colored. Then I closed the printer cover and all was well. It has been quite a while since I did this procedure and everything is working fine (no evidence of waste ink overflow).
Good luck,
MGBILL

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/31/08 5:00 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, I got the color sponged up.
I spoke with Staples today and they told me my print head is just worth out. Great! It is not even that old.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/3/08 8:09 AM) reply + / -
Hey!

I have the same problem but it is not that east to fix.

I have tried the start load/eject stop b/w and color and the start setup and menu and none of it works. Altho the mem card light is light and i cant change it. It does not let me do anything. there is no jams but i dont know what it can be, i also tried that ssc utility and it did not help at all.

any help

EPSON Rx500 by bstokes (4/3/08 7:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the input. I did the reset, attempted to download new drivers, would not go through.

The salesman at Staples said the print head was worn out but we paid 500 dollars for this printer and it should last a while.
I feel like Epson needs to make it right with a lot of us who use the printers a year or so and then they go out.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Wes (4/3/08 11:58 PM) reply + / -
Try reading here http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html It will only reset a "Maintenance Request Error" it will do nothing for a "Fatal Error".

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/4/08 12:07 AM) reply + / -
yeah, well it says im getting a fatal error. what could it be? i mean no jams, rolers work, head moves freely, etc. i cant think what it would be.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/7/08 11:17 AM) reply + / -
So is there any suggestions? I dont mind opening it up and working on it. So is there any hard reset. Or even is there a good debug thing? i mean fatal error is not real specific.

Re: Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (7/17/08 6:44 AM) reply + / -
Just wanted to add that I just tried this on my RX500 as well - had to hold all of those keys for a little while, then released and saw the prompt thing mentioned above, hit the color button, and then powered off. Turned it back on and now it's working!! Thank you soooo much for putting this out here for us to find!! :)

Re: Epson Rx500 DEAD Please Help by lberz (11/26/08 9:56 AM) reply + / -
I had a power surge that wiper out a number of electronic components that I have. The printer was pluged in but had not been working for some time prior to the power surge and I had been using a different printer and I was not aware of the reset codes. Now after the power surge I tried to get this printer working with the following results.

When I press and release the ON button the Memory Card and Scan Button lights come on for about 3 seconds and then go off. If I hold the on button down the Memory Card and Scan button lights will remain on untill I release the ON button. In either case there is no other sign of life, no error messages, nothing. I have done the 3 button, 4 button 6 button resets with no response. I have a strong feeling that the unit is fried but based on the printers ability to scan slides and the amount of ink that I still have I feel it would worth having the unit repaired.

Any suggestions

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by motofabio (1/7/09 8:48 AM) reply + / -
The two methods listed above seem to work for a lot of people. Here's my run down of them in a more easy-to-follow step layout.

1. Screen reads "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". Turn printer off.
2. From the off position, press and hold: On + Load/Eject + B&W + Color + Stop.
3. Continue to hold them down until the red light (!) starts. flashing (otherwise you're just turning it on).
4. On screen message is "Init. EEPROM"
5. Press the Color button, upon which the screen adds to the message "push power sw".
6. Press On button.

-or-

1. From the off position, press and hold: On + Setup + Clear.
2. Screen display's "COPY ENDURANCE".
3. Press the Select > a couple times until it gets to "Rst. Ink OFC".
4. Press the Color button.
5. Clean/soak up ink in sponge (inside far left).
6. Follow the screen instructions and closed it up.

Unfortunately for me, neither of them worked. So I tried to run through the first procedure, but instead of pressing the power button at step 6, I simply unplugged it from the wall. Now the printer screen is blank and my red light stays on. No combinations of buttons allows for the screen to come back. It still doesn't print and all I get is a "General Error".

Pretty frustrating. Any suggestions other than to kick this piece of crap to the curb? What an expensive way to learn that Epson builds in planned obsolescence.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by motofabio (1/7/09 8:54 AM) reply + / -
In the spirit of not giving up, I ran the "unplug" procedure again, and now my screen is back! Of course it still reads, "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". But, I'm feeling better now. Kinda like when gas prices go from $4.50 to $3.50 - It still sucks, but it feels a little better!

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (2/12/09 11:11 PM) reply + / -
Dear mgbill -

You wrote this back in 2007 but it was the only clearly written directions I could find to recover my Epson Stylus CX6400 color printer. Even though your directions were for a different model, they worked great on my printer and let me reset the counter just fine. The Epson website and support were a mess, couldnt even download their utilities cause of bad web design. You saved the day with this, as my ink pad is not that bad and having this counter suddenly disable the printer during a busy school year was aggravating. Well written, thanks for sharing such good info!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Ton Sm (3/5/09 10:08 AM) reply + / -
I've problems with my RX500 printer. The display shows Replace Cyan Cartridge, but this doesn't help. I tries the five and three buttons I've read about on this site, but this help also?? IS there someone who kwows the answer??

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/17/09 11:11 PM) reply + / -
many thanks, read the different options and followed the simplest one. Worked immediately.
Cheers,
Mike

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by mathmagic (7/27/09 4:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info. Saved me from buying a new printer, which is what Epson and Best Buy both told me that I would have to do. It appears as though they intentionally allow their printers to only last so long so they can sell more printers. It would be like if, when your car got 100,000 miles on it, it stopped running and you would have to buy a new car regardless of how well it's running.

Re: Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (8/14/09 6:24 AM) reply + / -
Thank you even today 14 years later your solution is still good. I had what appeared to be awaste pad get stuck in the carriage preventing the carriage from going to the right. After removing the offending garbage I needed to reset the printer.
Your solution worked perfectly.

Thank you.

DO i need to be concerned with replacing the waste pad(s) I know nothing about this.

Dave

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (9/20/09 2:10 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a million for the post. Our CX6400 started displaying the general printer error message, so I held down the power, B&W, Color and Stop keys for a few seconds, and the init eeprom message came up. I then just followed the panel instructions, and hey presto. Printer back to life and working sweet as a nut :-)

Re: Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by farinaz (12/12/09 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Hey, my printer had the same problem, and I am so glad to be able to fix it thanks to your advice!!!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by 4wallz (1/10/10 3:13 PM) reply + / -
My printer [RX500] ran out of black ink. I have been using cheap ink from eBay for a long time now with great results.

When I replaced my black ink, I got an error message saying that ALL of the ink cartridges needed to be changed.

Tried the following without success:
- I pulled the Black one and reseated it.
- Pulled the Black and used a chip resetter [ebay]
- Pulled all the cartridges and used the chip resetter
- Replaced all cartridges
- Pulled and reseated all cartridges
- Did the EEPROM reset above
- Did the Rst Ink OFC above
- Did both resets pulling the power cord instead of using the ON switch
- Installed the "Ssclg" utility and reset the counters while the printer was powering up... if I waited too long, then I couldn't do the reset because the error light would come on and the printer would not allow a reset.

Still no success.

Finally, I lifted the scanner deck and pushed all the ink cartridges over to the right as hard as I could. Closed the lid and then it worked!

I thought of this because when I was using the chip reset tool from eBay, I had to remove the guide and manually position the pins on the reset tool on the cartridges. So I thought maybe the cheaper ink cartridges aren't lined up properly.

I got lucky... but the info on this forum looks very good and I have bookmarked it for my next RX500 reset event!

Thanks all.

Re: Epson Rx500 scanner error by rowari (2/8/10 4:08 PM) reply + / -
HI Epson RX510 scanner error call service teco. Help please. tried the reset but this did not help

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by farinaz (2/9/10 7:33 AM) reply + / -
The instructions I followed again are:

"Press and HOLD all following buttons: Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS. After this printer turns on, you'll see "Init eeprom" on printer screen. Press Color button to clear protection counter"

The first time I did it, I didn't release the buttons. I retried and released the buttons after holding them for a good full second, that worked!! Good luck!

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by MarleneMiller (2/21/10 12:10 PM) reply + / -
WOW "clh"! You are a LIFE SAVER!! Thank you SO MUCH! I used your 5-button hold-down instructions and it worked! Now I don't have to drop kick my RX500 out the computer room window!!

I phoned Epson about this, and as with some of the other posters... their techie support told me the printer needs to be replaced! I'm SO GLAD it doesn't!!

Thank you again and again!

Marlene

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by rorodlove (2/21/10 7:19 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.
I did these steps and it works.
1. Screen reads "Printer error-see your documentation or call service if necessary". Turn printer off.
2. From the off position, press and hold: On + Load/Eject + B&W + Color + Stop.
3. Continue to hold them down until the red light (!) starts. flashing (otherwise you're just turning it on).
4. On screen message is "Init. EEPROM"
5. Press the Color button, upon which the screen adds to the message "push power sw".
6. Press On button.
The I did the steps to reset my ink Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/1/10 11:08 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (3/18/10 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Thanks from me too

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Epson_Nemesis (4/10/10 8:29 PM) reply + / -
This worked for me. Thanks!

Re: Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/15/10 6:58 PM) reply + / -
This was a life saver it worked great. Man I would like to buy you a beer.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by GTARAMASCO (4/28/10 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I tried pressing all the buttons and resetting the machine and the error cleared. Now going to try sponging out the waste sponge with tissue paper. Will save me 65 a time to "service" the machine as I've done before. Thanks guys!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/29/10 9:07 AM) reply + / -
help freeze up on me I have a Epson RX500 printer will not come on when I press the on button only copy and scan light come on for a sec and go off.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (4/29/10 11:50 AM) reply + / -
LCD Screen not working Hi I have a Epson RX500 printer will not come on when I press the on button only copy and scan light come on for a sec and go off.

Thanks
John

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Anonymous (5/11/10 2:57 PM) reply + / -
I have some ink cartridges for Epson RX500 Photo
printer. I "traded in" my Epson at Office Depot for a new printer and no longer have any use for these cartridges. I have a couple of black and(I htink) one of each color. If someone wants them contact me at twrght64@wavecable.com.
If you want them I'll send them if you pay shipping.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Hobbs123 (9/7/10 3:20 PM) reply + / -
For the past month my printer had been giving me this message that service needs to be called. Usually if I turned it on and off, it cleared and printed just fine. Then, of course, after a few weeks of working, and just after buying and putting in $35 worth of two new ink cartridges ($20 for black; $14 for magneta!) the message came back and would not go away. I found this thread and tried this recommendation, of pressing and holding:

Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS. After this printer turns on, you'll see "Init eeprom" on printer screen. Press Color button to clear protection counter.

VOILA! It seems to have worked! Thank you to all for this thread. Especially "clh" who posted this back in May of 2005!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by eschmitt (11/11/10 6:22 PM) reply + / -
Thank you so much!! The sequence worked perfectly for me.
I held the 5 buttons down for about 30 seconds and nothing happened. When I released the buttons, the stated message came up on the screen so I pressed the color button. A message came on the screen to press the "On" button. When I did this, the printer reset and is working fine.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by 4wallz (11/22/10 4:39 PM) reply+1 + / -
Got ANOTHER error on the RX500 today. Tried the resets above several times with the power cord off method as well. No success.

I opened the lid of the scanner and moved the ink cartridges over to expose the sponge. Using a paper towel, I dabbed as much ink as I could off the sponge. This took quite a while. Then I moved the mechanism that the sponge is on.

As the print head moves to the right, it contacts a small lever (A) on the sponge tray that lifts the sponge so it is in contact with the print head. When the print head moves to the left, there is a trip mechanism (B) that allows the sponge to lower itself out of the way. Here is where my problem was.

Armed with a can of WD40 and a flashlight, I sprayed the small arm (C) that allows the sponge tray to be lowered. It turns out the tray was not lowering all the way. Now with some WD40 to clean it, it lowers all the way without a problem.

Turned the printer off and on again and everything is working.

If you would like a picture, check out the link here: http://j.mp/g6923R

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by 4wallz (11/22/10 4:45 PM) reply + / -
Got ANOTHER error on the RX500 today. Tried the resets above several times
with the power cord off method as well. No success.

I opened the lid of the scanner and moved the ink cartridges over to
expose the sponge. Using a paper towel, I dabbed as much ink as I could
off the sponge. This took quite a while. Then I moved the mechanism that
the sponge is on.

As the print head moves to the right, it contacts a small lever (A) on the
sponge tray that lifts the sponge so it is in contact with the print head.
When the print head moves to the left, there is a trip mechanism (B) that
allows the sponge to lower itself out of the way. Here is where my problem
was.

Armed with a can of WD40 and a flashlight, I sprayed the small arm (C)
that allows the sponge tray to be lowered. It turns out the tray was not
lowering all the way. Now with some WD40 to clean it, it lowers all the
way without a problem.

Turned the printer off and on again and everything is working.

If you would like a picture, check out the link here: http://j.mp/g6923R

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Mainely Rose (12/20/10 10:37 AM) reply + / -
You guys are brilliant! Just saved me from having to buy a new printer (after I'd bought a bunch of ink cartri.!) Thanks!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Mx FIX (4/9/11 9:09 AM) reply + / -
Thanks a million for the post. Our rx500 started displaying the general printer error message, so I held down the power, B&W, Color and Stop keys for a few seconds, and the init eeprom message came up. I then just followed the panel instructions, and hey presto. Printer back to life and working If this doesn't work you may have to repeat to hit the right sequence.

Epson RX500 Printer error by GregA2011 (8/24/11 3:47 PM) reply + / -
I had just broken open 2 pricey ink cartridges then it came up with the friggin' Printer error.....blah blah blah message Doing the 5 fingered reset below cleared the error and allowed me to use it again.

Press and HOLD all following buttons: Power, Load/Eject, Stop, B&W, Color. RELEASE BUTTONS. After this printer turns on, you'll see "Init eeprom" on printer screen. Press Color button to clear protection counter.

Thanks!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Thinlizzy (8/31/11 3:44 PM) reply + / -
I just have to say THANK YOU! But to the person who said to move the cartridges all the way to the right really saved the day!!!!!!!!! It worked. Phew and thanks a bunch.

Sending you virtual good carma!!!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Doodles (9/13/11 8:25 AM) reply + / -
I also had to register just to say thank you.
I have kept my RX500 going for nearly 7 years
with help from here.
I have used alternative cartridges for years till recently,
then no reset would work.
I bit the bullet and bought a full set of epson inks
and it actually reset with them, so now it's working
perfectly again.
I bought an SX515W in the meantime whilst fixing this one, but its quite rubbish in all areas compared with the RX500.

So thanks for the info much appreciated

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Ladyaitch (10/25/11 1:01 PM) reply + / -
We have had out RX500 for 9 years and it's a well used printer - almost every day when the red LCD light stayed on and wouldn't print. We have done the resets mentioned in the above threads - the only thing we forgot was cleaning the sponge.. doh.. and now we get Scanner Error..

Is there something we have done wrong or something we have missed..?

By the way, I've also had a C42UX for 7 years and did all my daughter's wedding cards etc, so yes, I do love Epson and totally agree they are out to rip us off with inks etc. so the cleaning the sponge tip will go down very well indeed.. thank you for that.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Candybar (2/8/12 8:35 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks for advice - the multi-finger salute mentioned in this thread cured the error message in my 8 year-old RX500.
I then mopped up excess ink in two stages.
Firstly I used folded paper towel pressed against the exposed sponge on the left hand end of the print head run. A small weight helped ensure contact so that capilliary action could take place. Change the towel when necessary and give the process enough time.
Secondly I moved the print head to the left from its parked position and mopped up the ink at that end. Moving the head when the printer is switched off is easy - there is a white release tab on the back wall, just below the drive belt and next to the print head. Reposition the head after cleaning.
When you switch on again the printer will probably go into a head cleaning cycle.
This is a messy job and vinyl/latex gloves are recommended!
I use 3rd party inks.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Candybar (2/8/12 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks for advice - the multi-finger salute mentioned in this thread cured the error message in my 8 year-old RX500.
I then mopped up excess ink in two stages.
Firstly I used folded paper towel pressed against the exposed sponge on the left hand end of the print head run. A small weight helped ensure contact so that capillary action could take place. Change the towel when necessary and give the process enough time.
Secondly I moved the print head to the left from its parked position and mopped up the ink at that end. Moving the head when the printer is switched off is easy - there is a white release tab on the back wall, just below the drive belt and next to the print head. Reposition the head after cleaning.
When you switch on again the printer will probably go into a head cleaning cycle.
This is a messy job and vinyl/latex gloves are recommended!
I use 3rd party inks.

Epson RX500 not found by software by southernpup (12/21/12 10:04 AM) reply + / -
I have an RX500 and RX600. I use them for scanning of photos and love the way they work. I just had to get a new lap top which runs on Windows 7. I had a laptop before that used windows 7 and was the same kind and never had a problem but it was stolen. I now can not get the smart panel or the Epson scan function to work and let me scan. I have talked to Epson and to windows and all I get is it should work but no one seems to know the problem. I can find the printer going through other programs but this does not give me the Epson programs that lets me scan negatives with the scanner, does anyone know how to fix this.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Wes (12/21/12 8:25 PM) reply + / -
You need to load or reload all of the software. So download Epson scan/twain software from the epson site.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by southernpup (1/1/13 7:55 AM) reply + / -
thank you for your response. I have taken all the Epson software off the computer and reloaded it about 2 times. That was the first thing I did before I talked to Epson Tech support and they could not figure out the problem, according to them every thing was ok, but even after being on the phone with them for 2 hours, the Smart Panel or Epson Scan would not find the printers. I have fixed the problem my self, and if anyone has this problem just go to the Epson site and download the drivers for Vista and they will work, Its kind of sad that the drivers for Windows 7 dont work but the ones for Vista do.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by printerrepairpros (1/2/13 6:08 PM) reply + / -
Southernpup, don't understand why you are having the problem. We are successfully running from both Win7 32 and 64 bit computers. Perhaps something is amiss with your new computer.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by southernpup (1/4/13 8:54 AM) reply + / -
I have it working now and have checked my laptop which is running Windows 7 and all the drivers and the system is up to date. I had a different laptop that ran windows 7 before and ran the printers ok but that laptop was stolen. It was the same as this one had windows 7 was 64bit but did not have as much memory as this one that is about the only difference. The printers work ok with the new computer the problem was that when you opened Epson Scan or Smart Panel it would not find the RX500 to scan with. I have solved the problem by downloading the drivers for Windows Vista and now it works just fine, the Scanning program finds the printer and it works just like it did before. I dont know if windows just did not do the update correct or what the problem was, it was just strange that Epson could not figure out the problem. I want to thank everyone for their help and I hope when I do get a new lap top in the future I can still use my RX500 as it is the best scanner for photos and Negatives that is out there.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by richarduie (4/4/13 8:36 AM) reply + / -
Did the five-button salute. Brilliant! Thanks!

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by MGBILL (9/30/13 6:04 PM) reply + / -
My wife's Epson RX 500 printer suddenly stopped printing with an
"error message", Service Required. I recall the same thing happening to my RX 500 a couple of years ago, but I couldn't remember what I did to restore normal operation. I found this thread, which I used then, to correct my problem, and applied the same "5 button trick" on my wife's printer, and it worked like a charm. After soaking up the excess ink in the sponges, I had the wife print a page from her computer, and it worked just fine. I wanted to charge her $20.00 for the repair service, but she preferred to take it out in trade. I sure could have used that extra $20.00. (chuckle)
Your Site is "Priceless", thanks for your expert advice.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by fixer100 (1/14/14 6:54 PM) reply + / -
This is my wife's business printer. Has worked great for years. Recently it gave some warning which I did nothing about then yesterday she received this Error message. I started looking for a new printer but thought I'd try a Google search. Found this thread, followed the button sequence and she is up and running. This is the first time since we bought this years ago. Must be we don't print too much. I soaked some ink out of the sump, there was quite a build up of sludge. Seems to be working great now. Thanks so much to all the contributors, saved me $$$ and lots of time.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo RX 500 by Stuart Cox (1/20/14 9:22 AM) reply + / -
I have a printer message which appears when i try to print a document :
Service Required :

`Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your printer documentation`.

- and I have no documention that deals with this. Can anyone help?

Stuart Cox

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by philly5706 (1/20/14 2:00 PM) reply + / -
The waste ink pad is full. There are thousands of messages on various boards dealing with this problem. Do a little research. You can also go to the Epson site and request the reset program, but you'll have to clean the waste ink sponge yourself, otherwise your printer will be a real mess inside with built ink.

HtH

Phil.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by philly5706 (1/20/14 2:02 PM) reply + / -
The waste ink pad is full. There are thousands of messages on various boards dealing with this problem. Do a little research. You can also go to the Epson site and request the reset program, but you'll have to clean the waste ink sponge yourself, otherwise your printer will be a real mess inside with built up ink.

HtH

Phil.

Re: Epson Rx500 needs to be reset Please Help by Budvar58 (2/1/14 6:30 AM) reply + / -
Just did the suggested technique for fixing my printer. It worked!! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and save us.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters