fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

epson photo 2100

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

epson photo 2100 by wakomako (5/10/05 2:14 AM) reply + / -
Hi,Among some HP's, I own an epson 2100 for about 2,5 years. I printed the equivalent of +- 100 cartridges until now.The machine just stopped working from one moment to the other, all lights flashing. I tried te replace the cartridges with new ones but no change. Before this I owned a 1520 from epson. It stopped in the same mysterious way, so I think Epson built in a printing-counter or something, to force You to make a check-up of your printer. I used a chip-resetter with my 1520. With the 2100(2200), I use chips that reset themselves. When there would be a cartridge problem, by turning the power on, the printer would start scanning the cartridges (lights would flash from left to right) and then start blinking all together. This doesn't happen. When turning power on, the machine just gives a little tick as if it would like to start, but then stops and starts flashing. Although all machinery seem to work, because when you turn power down, printheads etc move to position.
Does anyone know something about it?

I think this will be the last time I bought an epson. I return to HP, they never failed and are printing for 7 years now.

Re: epson photo 2100 by Anonymous (5/10/05 3:14 AM) reply + / -
Which "chip" did you reset on the Stylus Color 1520?

You should be more specific on describing how the lights are flashing. But let's assume the flashing lights is indicating a _maintenance request error_. Therefore the course of action is to reset the waste ink counter and replace the waste ink pads. Search this forum for the procedure - I'm quite sure it has been posted before.

Re: epson photo 2100 by Denny Conway (5/10/05 11:01 AM) reply + / -
wakomako: On the "Epson Stylus Photo 2100/2200 series", if the "Power Light" is off and the "Paper Light" and "Ink Lights 1 thru 7" are all on a HIGH SPEED BLINK [ high speed blink equals a 0.1 sec's on + 0.1 sec's off repetition], that actually indicates a FATAL ERROR service condition. If all 8 lights are actually doing that high speed blink at the same time, then your printer is actually in that fatal error service condition. The fatal error, usually inducates a problem in either the carriage assembly, a home position location problem, or a paper feed motor problem. There's no way for me to know what is wrong with your printer, but the two most common problems are a DIRTY and or DRY "Carriage Assembly", or a DIRTY "Encoder Strip/Sensor Strip". You may want to clean and service those two areas [if your printer is actually in that fatal error condition], just to eliminate those common problems...Do to the number of requests for that fatal error cleaning info, I posted on 4/12/05, on the "fixyourownprinter" printer repair site, located at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/25709#62 . That info is posted in two parts, do to the amount of information that had to be posted. GENERAL INFO #1, is on the cleaning and servicing of the "Carriage Assembly" and GENERAL INFO #2, involves the cleaning of the "Encoder Strip/Sensor Strip". The part of general info #2, that covers the "Encoding Wheel", does not apply to all models of epson printers, so just clean the actual encoder strip/sensor strip...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: epson photo 2100 by Denny Conway (5/10/05 11:04 AM) reply + / -
wakomako: On the other hand, if the power light is off and the paper light is blinking alternatly with ink lights 1-7, rather than all 8 lights blinking at the same time [as in the high speed blink pattern], that would indicate a MAINTENANCE REQUEST ERROR. The maintenance request error is actually a "Waste Ink Ink Pad Error" and usually your remedy is to replace the waste ink pad/pads with a new one/ones and then reset the "Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter". If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. You can see exploded parts diagrams for most epson ink jet printers and can also check on possible parts ordering, by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water. Then they simply dry them out and reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make. I would at least recommend getting that waste ink counter reset procedure and performing it first, to make sure your printer will then work. You may be able to reset that waste ink counter, using the SSC SERVICE UTILITY available at http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe . Unfortunatly, that utility only works using a windows operating system. You can check and see if your particular epson printer is compatible, by going to http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . Here's some previously posted info that may also help: "NEWUSER Re: Epson Error and power light flashing by newuser (4/5/05 11:10 AM). To reset the error download this utility: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . Once installed run the program and configure it, closing the main window and right clicking the icon in the tray area, from there choose Configure and select your printers model. After configuration, select Protection counter -> Reset protection counter, it should be able to clear the error message. If that does not actually work, then the only suggestion I can give is to perform a soft-reset before resetting counter. Remove also the Epson status agent, it detects errors and it may hinder communication with the printer, then reboot your pc. As profile choose the one sscservice didn't use after autoconfiguration, check for printer response. Remember that you should also clean the waste ink pads located at the printer bottom. For a more in-depth procedure by NEWUSER, go to his site at http://myprinter.altervista.org/simplefaq/mysimplefaq.html#counter ". Unfortunatly, that ssc service utility may not actually work on all epson printers and not on all operating systems, so you will have to check it out for yourself. Just in case that source does not work: You may actually need to go on-line to try and locate the actual reset procedure, to buy and download to reset that waste ink counter...Again, Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Re: epson photo 2100 by wakomako (5/11/05 2:06 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much Denny, You really are a printer wizzard. After some trying and restarting, finally the 2100 accepted the SSC-service resetting the counter overflow: The machine restarted and works fine. Now the second part. How to open the machine and clean or change the pads. I found no working link till now. Should I buy a service manual?
About my epson 1520: One day, I'll try this, but after more than 2 years, the print heads must be sealed completely, or...??? is there a healing method? I wouldn't matter disassemble the machine completely

Re: epson photo 2100 by Denny Conway (5/11/05 9:39 AM) reply + / -
wakomako: I'm sorry, but after 2 years the chances of getting the print heads unclogged are usually not that good. The only thing you could even try, is extended soaking with the actual "Epson Print Head Solution", to try and dissolve the clogging that would normally occur after that much time has passed. You might want to try using the "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution", available through fixyourownprinter.com, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson . However, that solution will only help, if there is an actual clogged print head assembly. When it opens, click-on epson stylus head cleaning solution thats listed for your particular printer. The epson solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some epson print head cleaning solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using epson inks. This is the same chemical used by epson in their service department. You can try it if you want to and see if you can get the print head nozzles to open up again. That solution was basically designed by epson company for use on their older models of ink jet printers, but people have been using it on the newer models, with success reported. IF YOU DECIDE TO, TRY THE "EPSON STYLUS HEAD CLEANING SOLUTION", JUST REMEMBER: The nozzles inside the print head assembly can be easily damaged by using to much force on the plunger of the syringe. Damage can even occur when you are using the epson stylus head cleaning solution method, if you actually try to force the fluid thru the nozzle. To much force/pressure can damage the little tubes inside the nozzle assembly and then it will never work again. One individual print head nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair. You can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid into the nozzle and then leave the fluids set inside the nozzle for a day or two, to try and dissolve a possible bad clog. If you remove the Top Cover Assembly, then you can leave the print head assembly parked in its normal home position, at the far right side. Then any ink & fluids that are purged during the cleaning, will normally travel thru the cleaning station hoses, to the waste ink pads. If you have the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly", positioned away from the home position, then you will need to slide strips of paper towels or coffee filters under that assembly, to soak up any expelled ink and fluids, or it can get all over. Sometimes you might have to use the fluids several times to be able to dissolve the clog in the print head nozzles. Sometimes the clog will never dissolve, or it actually damages the nozzles. The longer the clog has been in, the worse it is to remove. Again, if the cleaning fluids don't help, then its generally time to invest in a new printer. In some more expensive printers, you may want to get an estimate to replace the print head assembly, but as a general rule, its not really economical to do in the smaller epson ink jet style printers. You can generally buy a new small printer cheaper than you can have your old one repaired for. EXAMPLE: The print head assembly in the "C80" Printer sells for around $120 to $130. There is a REVIEW of the "Print Head Cleaning Solution", as well as general "Print Head Cleaning Instructions", that is available to view at http://www.inkjetprinterhelp.us/EKR.html ...AS FAR AS YOUR "2100": You would probably need to get the actual service manual to use as a guide for reference in disassembly and servicing of those waste ink pads...Denny Conway

Re: epson photo 2200 help!!!!! FATAL SERVICE ERROR by gabrielle (5/25/05 5:59 PM) reply + / -
Hi! I am desperate to get my printer working again!!!!!!!!! I believe I have a fatal service error, and I need to get it working again, right away. I have a show soon, and I need to get my images printed.

Please send the cleaning instructions for the Encoder Strip & the Carriage Assembly. I would very much appreciate it!!
Also, if there is anyone in the SF Bay area who would make a housecall and help me with this, please email me. I am not sure that I can do this on my own.

Thanks,
gabrielle

Re: epson photo 2100 by Peter Briscoe-Smith (6/20/05 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I am trying to get two Epson Stylus 2100 to work both have stoped working unexpectedly with the seven ink lights flashing altenately with the paper feed light. I have downloaded SSC service utility and cleared the protection counter and cleaned the head position strip and the paper position wheel with no improvement. Any help would be apreciated

Thanks
Peter Briscoe-Smith

Re: epson photo 2100 by Edie (6/20/05 5:29 PM) reply + / -
The protection counter has not been cleared. The LEDs flashing pattern indicates a maintenance request error.

Re: epson photo 2100 by Peter Briscoe-Smith (6/21/05 12:53 AM) reply + / -
Thank's for the reply Edie but the SSC service utility shows the counter at zero when previousely it showed 12518 so I presume the reset counter worked. So I am still in trouble.

Thanks
Peter B-S

Re: epson photo 2100 by Edie (6/21/05 4:45 AM) reply + / -
A maintenance request error is indicated by the ink LEDs and paper LED alternately flashing, which your printer is indicating. The SSC service utility reads the counter as 12518 but the counter limit for a maintenance request error is 60352. Therefore I would question the accuracy of the SSC service utility and its ability to reset the waste ink counter.

Re: Re: epson photo 2100 by Anonymous (4/13/06 8:13 AM) reply + / -
Edie, I have the same problem with my Epson Stylus Photo 2100.
The 7 x Ink LED's are Flashing and then the Paper Feed LED flashes, and then it continues to repeat, alternating from Ink LED's to Paper LED.

I read on this forum this problem usally indicates "Waste Ink Pads" are Full and would need replacing. I replaced all the Pads (4 x in total sent to me by Epson Dealer) and connected the printer to my PC and used "SSC Service Utility" and Selected RESET Protection Counter using the program.

The program ask you do you want to reset? Yes
Waste Counter has been Reset.
When I checked the "Show Current Value" it displayed "0" and according to the Help file included with the program, this the value you need to get to reset the printer. Unfortunately, I didn't check my value before resetting, however, I still have the same problem and the printer is still flashing LED's. According to Epson on their Web site, they say this combo of flashing LED's means problem with Carriage..

Re: epson photo 2100 by Lukass (4/15/09 3:01 AM) reply + / -
If You are have all LED blinking it is Fatal error,
check the PE sensor(black color) behind the carriage unit on normal position.

Second thign is the encoder(many white gears ) on the left side printer,you must check it. If the scale isn't in encoder
printer move gears for 1-2sec and all led blinking.

Lukass
lgrabarczyk@o2.pl

Re: epson photo 2100 by jackylama (1/14/10 8:18 AM) reply + / -
Hi folks
I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I just bought a used Epson 2100 printer and it prints out the nozzle check ok.

However everytime I go to print I get a "communication error" message. I am on a Mac, OSX 10.5 and connected by Firewire and fail to see why this should be happening?

There are no flashing lights or anything, just looked at the pads and they do look a bit saturated so wonder if that is the problem?

Regards
jackylama

Re: epson photo 2100 by anthonyh (3/28/10 9:10 AM) reply + / -
Here is a tricky one.

I fitted a new CIS system recently and have since had blocked nozzles that change location! Same pigment ink.

I also noticed loads of ink being deposited on the small parking pad, and that during the cleaning cycle the surface seemed to be bubbling ink...as if it was being forced in by the drainage tube underneath it...but at other times the ink would be sucked away. The whole thing looks a mess.

I have pulled the material off the parking pad 'tray' and washed it clean...but it hasn't solved the problem.

The printer has an external waste tank and during a cleaning cycle I can see ink being forced into the tank; so no problem there so far as I can see.

One last bit of info...when pulling the pad material off the whole parking pad 'tray' came off the parking assembly and I somehow lost one of the two small springs that were under it to provide upwards pressure...so I replaced them both with some firmish sponge which seems to be doing the same job. I also accidentally pulled the small waste tube out...but so far as I can see I managed to replace it properly (that was a nightmare).

The crux of the problem seems to be that during a cleaning cycle ink is both forced up through the parking pad and also pulled out through it...total mystery!

Should I persevere with this printer....or just upgrade?

Re: epson photo 2100 by Anonymous (3/28/10 7:22 PM) reply + / -
You can replace the pump and cap assembly. That should fix the problem.

Re: epson photo 2100 by Anonymous (3/29/10 1:27 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I have recycled the old Epson 2100 to printer heaven now.

Epson photo 2100 by BrettL (7/24/10 3:26 AM) reply + / -
My 2100 photo printer has stopped printing on all media settings except plain paper. I normally print on Epson archival matte - when I isssue the print command, the printer operates i.e the print head moves back and forth normally but won't deliver ink. On the plain paper setting it delivers ink, so the nozzles aren't blocked. I tried re- installing the printer driver but still no result. I'm using Windows XP and printing from Photoshop 7. I had no trouble printing until recently when the printer would print the first photo after startup then wouldn't print any more. Turning the pc and printer off and then on again made no difference. Then it stopped printing altogether. I tried the printer on a friend's PC with the same OS and CS3 but had the same result - printed on plain paper setting but not on archival matte setting. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to fix the problem.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters