fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by John NL (4/11/05 3:40 PM) reply + / -
I have 2 HP's (932C & 940C) both are giving an error on the black cartridge.

Even when I put in a new cartridge, the light blinks and the carrier moves to the black cartridge....

What is wrong with these machines ?
Is it a commen problem for the 900 series ?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (4/11/05 8:20 PM) reply + / -
Either you have defective cartridges or the contacts are dirty. Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by kristen (5/8/05 12:12 PM) reply + / -
I've cleaned everything. Followed all advice from HP. Error remains. Repair guy says it will cost more than it's worth to even bring this printer in. But I have some brand new cartridges now. Am I really just out of luck? This seemed like a great printer, and hasn't had that much use. Advice welcome.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (5/8/05 2:59 PM) reply + / -
The DJ 932 can use either the HP 15 or 45 black cartridge. The DJ 940 can use only the HP 15. Both printers use the HP 78 color cartidge. Cartridges can be defective out of the box. It seems odd that both printerd would fail in the same way. I would test the cartridges in a known working printer. Any DJ 900 series will accept the 15 and 78. The DJ 920 and 940 accept the 15 and 78 only.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by greg_overholt (12/9/05 8:57 AM) reply + / -
I have the same blinking light problem!! I have 2 deskjet 940 printers in front of me with 2 black, 2 colour cartridges and both are doing the ink blinking with it pointing to the black cartridge error.. This is unreal!! The 2nd printer was supposedly tested before i bought it. Did you guys above find a solution to this? cause I think i have 2 fully functioning printers but currently are no more then paper-weights..

Much thanks!!

Greg

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (1/16/06 6:10 AM) reply + / -

I had same error light problems, called hp, and was told to clean out wells and switch cartridges and stuff...nothing worked...then one day i was examining the inside and found massive glob of black ink toner at far right end or printer, which apparently had dripped or been dumped out of cartridge for no reason.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (1/18/06 4:09 PM) reply + / -
Did cleaning out the wells fix the error light?
I've had the toner error light flashing. I cleaned the contacts on both cartridges and on the printer itself. I also found a mass of black ink/glop on the well on the right side of the printer.
I cleaned out some of the glop, but the error light still flashes.
Is there any point in investing a lot of time cleaning the glop away?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (3/15/06 9:30 AM) reply + / -
We have had the same blinking light problems with both the 932c and the 940c (about 10 to 20 in all). We have had the printer declare that the ink is out but that same ink cartridge works in another printer. A new ink cartridge and cleaning does not solve the problem. Something is wrong with a board or cable. It would be cheaper to buy another printer. Just think twice about buying an cheap inkjet. I may look at another brand.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (3/15/06 5:42 PM) reply + / -
Before you buy another brand spend some time reading the posts in this forum, you may find that overall HP is pretty good.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (3/21/06 5:55 PM) reply + / -
I seemed to have the same problem. But after removing both cartidges and cleaning the contacts on the cartridged and the printer cartidge holders, it seemed to solve the problem. Also, I never noticed that the printer will place the cartridge under and unhappy arrow, and thats how I figured it out it was the color cartridge connectors that needed the cleaning.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (4/3/06 4:44 AM) reply + / -
From the HP Site. You may need to Clean both Cartridges, even if you just replaced on of them. Keep trying, I finally got it to work.

Problem

The printer detects a defective or improperly installed print cartridge, one of both cartridges is out of ink, or a cartridge is missing.

Solution

1. Open the top cover of the printer, the RESUME light will flash and the print cartridge cradle will move to the center of the printer.

2. Lift up one of the print cartridge latches.

3. Grasp the top of the print cartridge and pull it out of its cradle.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the other print cartridge.

NOTE: If you are going to insert new cartridges or are having problems with the cartridges that you are using, make sure that you have removed any tape covering the ink nozzles and do not touch the ink nozzles or the gold-covered contacts.

5. To insert each cartridge, tilt the cartridge towards you as you are inserting it into its cradle.

6. Push the cartridge down firmly into its cradle slot.

7. Close the print cartridge latch.

8. Make sure that you have completed Steps 5-7 for each cartridge.

9. Close the top cover of the printer

The RESUME light should stop flashing.
Problem

The print cartridge contacts are dirty.

Solution

1. Open the top of the printer, the RESUME light will flash and the print cartridge cradle will move to the center of the printer.

2. Lift up one of the print cartridge latches.

3. Grasp the top of the print cartridge and pull it out of its cradle.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the other print cartridge.

5. Clean each print cartridge with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth to clean each print cartridge by wiping once from the bottom of the copper contact strip to the top.

6. To insert each cartridge, tilt the cartridge towards you as you are inserting it into its cradle.

7. Push the cartridge down firmly into its cradle slot.

8. Close the print cartridge latch.

9. Make sure that you have completed steps 5-8 for each cartridge.

10. Close the top cover of the printer.

The RESUME light should stop flashing.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by bryantlar2 (edited 4/3/06 7:27 AM) reply + / -
i've cleaned and cleaned... still won't work, the light still flashes! what can i do?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by anonymous (4/8/06 6:07 AM) reply + / -
I am also having the same problem - there is a black glob inside on the right side of the printer and the cartridge light keeps blinking and the printer will not print. Please let me know what I can do.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (4/8/06 7:34 AM) reply + / -
Replace the carriage board and/or cable.

Check the pins on the carriage board to see in one has lost it's springiness.

I probably have a spare board for this model, click on my name to email me if you need more information.

Re: HP940c Toner Cartridges by FAbrione (2/24/07 8:38 AM) reply + / -
Hi, my printer was missing both cartridges, but I only replaced the black cartridge. The 'toner' light is still blinking. I can't remember, but does the printer require both cartridges to operate? If so, I'm going to knock myself upside the head.... :)

Any response would be apprciated...

FAbrione

940C by Stephen (2/24/07 4:58 PM) reply + / -
Both cartridges required to run a 940C.

Re: HP Deskjet 940c - cannot print color by Bob 2007 (3/10/07 10:45 AM) reply + / -
I have replaced both the black and white and color cartridges and cleaned the holders. The printer prints only black and green with no accurate color.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (edited 5/22/07 8:46 PM) reply + / -
Then you have a bad color cartridge.

Do the blot test on the color cartridge.

Remove cartridge from machine, fold a paper towel back over a couple of times so it is about 4 layers thick, shake cartridge up and down hard, shake over a sink unless you want to clean ink off the floor.

Now blot the nozzles of the cartridge on the paper towel, you should see three colored stripes, if you don't have all three stripes the cartridge is clogged, or out of one or more colors.

If the cartridge is clogged, then soak the nozzles in warm water for a couple of minutes and try the blot test again. A little warm water in a saucer works fine, you only want to wet the nozzles, keep the rest of the cartridge dry.

ST

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by spadlet (3/12/07 7:28 AM) reply + / -
I have just replaced both my black and colour cartridges. The printer toolbox is showing that the coloured cartridge has 100% ink level and black is 90% (I got the black ink refilled at cartridge world so I think that's ok) BUT there is still a warning saying that the colour cartridge is low on ink and the ink warning light wont stop flashing. Could this be related to your problems with the black ink cartridge error?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by emw1917 (3/29/07 6:52 PM) reply + / -
I've had a similar problem. Got empty cartridges refilled at Walgreen's (I know - first mistake) and now I keep gettitng a message saying "An unexpected error has occured. (1517)". I've tried cleaning the cartridges, but maybe a few more reps will help!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (3/30/07 4:55 AM) reply + / -
emw1917

Do the printer lights indicate a bad cartridge? (which one)

ST

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by nasa (4/11/07 9:29 PM) reply + / -
Why no one suggest to these printer manufacturer that have a bypass button or code so we can controll our printers, like for example if my printer has 2 cartridges one black and one color and I just want to print black ink why do I need the color cartridge to be full or even installed, or those multifuction printer scanner and fax, if you wanted to send fax why would you need the ink, okay some say to print confirm page, why not send the confirm page to the pc and not waste paper.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (4/12/07 6:28 AM) reply + / -
After further investigation I found that the problem was with the black, rather than the colour cartridge (the position that the cartridges moved to when I opened the printer said black dispite the warning box saying colour). I had bought a prefilled black cartridge at the same time as getting the other one refilled so I swaped them and the prefilled one works fine now.

emw1917, I've never heard of Walgreen's but I got my cartridges refilled at Cartridge World and if they dont work properly then you can take them back for a full refund/exchange, which is what I intend to do with the dodgy black one. Maybe they will do the same thing where you got yours, if it's a problem with the cartridge?

Good Luck

THANKS!!! Re: Re: HP940c Toner Cartridges by Anonymous (4/12/07 6:40 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to everyone that responded (with their solution) for my printer problems. You all were correct. It's pothetic that you have to spend nearly $100.)) on 'BOTH' cartridges just to get the darn thing to work!!! :) Thanks again everyone. This is a wonderful forum.....

FAbrione....

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by mrdynamite (4/24/07 7:40 AM) reply + / -
I was having the same problem with the constantly flashing light on my 940c. I was literally minutes away from buying a new printer on ebay when I read an earlier post here about unclogging the cartridge nozzles. My cartridges were brand new and seemed clean to the naked eye but i thought 'what the hey' and I cleaned them as described. Hey presto, the thing worked again! saved me a lot of money! thanks.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (5/26/07 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Did you ever solve the glob problem? What causes the problem? I had the same thing. I gave it to a friend who works on old computer stuff for charities. He found the glob. He called me to see of he wanted me to try to clean it out and I said go for it.

He squirted the glob out with a garden hose and it worked.

Would you do this if some HP tech from India told you to do this?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (5/27/07 8:01 AM) reply + / -
The glob is normal in printers with a high page count.

Ink is squirted into the service station to prime the heads, some soaks into the felt pad, some dries on top of it.

If you clean and lubricate the printer you can get thousands of pages out of it before it needs another cleaning.

If you print often enough to keep the ink glob from drying out you can get up to 20,000 pages between problems, (I've seen it personally).

Here are the things I recommend you have on hand when working on a DeskJet 930, 940, 950, 969, 970, 980 or 990:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S93

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/tools/S37

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/tools/S38

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/specials/misc/chemicals/S03

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (5/27/07 1:35 PM) reply + / -
What do you mean by a high page count? You say this glob happens with a high page count,then you say if you print a lot the glob will not occur. I"m a home user and I print very little. How are you supposed to clean the glob other than a garden hose.

Why isn't this condition mentioned in the HP support section? Do they want you to buy another printer? Silly question

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (5/27/07 1:48 PM) reply + / -
Reread my post, you did not understand it, I did not say the glob will not occur if you print a lot.

If you print a lot the glob will stay soft like mud, and will not bind the service station up, it's dry ink that causes the problem.

The page count is the total number of pages that a printer has printed. high on a 900 series would be 7,000-9,000 pages, (for a light use printer).

I clean lots of service stations, I do not use a garden hose, I wash them out at the kitchen sink.

HP support does not advise end users to disassemble their printers, doing so might make them liable for the damage caused and injuries recieved during the disassembly, there are sharp edges in some printers. I can repair 4-6 DeskJets on a good day, then I skip 2-3 days to let all the small cuts on my fingers heal before I do any more.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (5/27/07 2:09 PM) reply + / -
He did not disassemble the printer but simply squirted a steam of water into the glob.

How do you get the sponge part out? I've handle thousands of bushels if live blue crabs, so a few more little cuts won't bother me. Thanks

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Stephen (edited 2/26/08 4:41 AM) reply + / -
If you squirt water into the service station without disassembling the printer you are just softening the ink.

There is a motor on the side of the service station, if you overflow the spittoon base you can ruin the motor.

Here's some instructions that might help:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/17997#5

If you want more help then stop posting anonymously and use a name, the anonymous postings seem rude to me, heck I can't tell one anonymous from another, so someone else could jump in and really confuse things.

HP Deskjet 932C question by Anonymous (8/31/07 1:25 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP deskjet 932c. Will it run with only the black ink or does it require the color cartridge also? How do you know which cartridge needs to be replaced and how much ink is still in the cartridges? If it's time to replace one cartridge (black for example) and the other cartridge (color) still has some ink in it, will the printer run properly replacing only the empty cartridge (black) or do you have to replace both each time?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (8/31/07 1:38 PM) reply + / -
The printer must have both cartridges installed to operate. You only have to replace the empty cartridge.

Go to this web page to answer your other questions. See page 26.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd07427.pdf

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Rajee (9/26/07 4:16 AM) reply + / -
Hey there,
I recently replaced both cartridges in my HP deskjet 940c printer and kept getting the blinking light indicating that theres something wrong with the black ink cartridge.
I removed both cartridges and replaced them back into their slots numerous times to no success.
But on closer inspection of the cartridge holders i noticed the colour cartridge holder slot had a metal spring board in between its connectors, whereas the black ink cartridge holder slot did not!...Is the black cartridge holder slot supposed to have a metal spring board in between its connectors? If so where do i get the part from?

Thankyou
Rajee

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (9/26/07 1:22 PM) reply + / -
Lots of people ask about the spring loaded piece. It was never installed on many of the Deskjet 900 series and is therefore apparently not needed.

Clean the cartridge(s) and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. If cleaning does not solve the problem you may have a defective cartridge even if it is new.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Rajee (9/27/07 2:05 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert!! Cleaning the black cartridge with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol worked!!

Thank you very much!!
Rajee

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by vass (10/24/07 2:14 AM) reply + / -
This worked for me: took a piece of sponge with some solution (the one supplied with the refills) and cleaned the "springy" contacts (i.e. the ones in the printer not the cartridge). I applied as well some light repeated pressure on them, to revive their springiness...
Don't give up on it just yet...

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by nat42 (10/29/07 8:01 AM) reply + / -
Hello.

I have about the same problem with everyone else in this thread, only it's the colour cartridge that seems to have the problem. I did the following:
>I cleaned both cartridges with alcohol,
>I cleaned the cartridge board contacts with alcohol and no ink stained the cotton swab, neither had they lost any springiness,
>I cleaned the slots in the service station where the cartridges lock into when you shut the lid and
>I cleaned the as much of the ink glob as i could and tried to sponge some of the ink off the felt pad (without removing the pad and without using water).
None of the above has worked.

This has happened to me more than once and the other times replacing the colour cartridge helped but not for very long. I've had this printer for years and it had worked perfectly until this problem occured about 2 months ago. This seems like one silly little problem which is impossible to fix and makes the whole machine useless...

I'm going to replace the colour cartridge and see if it helps, but if it doesn't, I'll buy a new printer. Anything else i can try before doing that?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (10/29/07 1:27 PM) reply + / -
Blot the color cartridge print nozzles a few times on a damp paper towel to confirm that all of the colors are flowing, i.e. yellow, magenta, and cyan. Each color should flow freely. If one or more colors is missing or seems sparse you have cartridge issue.

You mentioned that you did some cleaning of the service station. If you have not already, clean the squeegees that wipe the print nozzles. It's not beyond possibility that they are gunked up and clogging the print nozzles. If the service station seems to be the culprit I suggest removing it from the printer and cleaning it. Instructions are available.

I wouldn't give up too easily because you're going the find that many of the new printers consume cartridges at a higher rate than the printer you have now ($$$), especially the bargain printers that lure you in with a low price.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by nat42 (10/31/07 6:53 AM) reply + / -
Ok, well I didn't do anything more than what I mentioned on my last post but it actually worked today. I had done the blot test and all was well but I didn't get to clean up the squeegees yet. Now it printed about 10 pages and stopped for a while and then stopped altogether and the "toner light" started blinking. Then I turned it off and on again and then it printed like one line in 5 seconds... And then I pulled the plug because I figured its memory might be full or something. And now it printed another half of a page and the "toner light" started blinking again... And now I turned it off and pulled the plug and no lights are blinking when I turn it on.

I don't get it. Does anyone else get this sort of symptoms? And is it like ok now since it's printing?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by scott y (11/3/07 11:27 AM) reply + / -
I'm having the same issues with a 932c. I went cheap and got my cartridges refilled instead of buying new ones. It printed a few pages, and then stopped mid-page, with the printer light blinking. I turned it off, then on, and it started printing pages of junk - characters and numbers and random letters - about two or three lines to a page, just wasting paper. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it; it worked for a few pages, and started the same thing.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (11/3/07 2:43 PM) reply + / -
Make sure the printer-computer cable is connected securely on both ends and restart the computer. The symptom you report usually indicates a driver issue (your have reinstalled the driver) or a cable problem.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by chelseabeeb (2/26/08 2:21 AM) reply + / -
I have a deskjet 950C. I keep getting a constant flashing orange light indicating something is wrong with the ink cartridges. I open the top and the ink moves to the second before last picture of a of an X face with one dot above it. I thought I had ran out of ink. (it just wouldnt print one day) I took it to office max and they said that they were still pretty full but the black ink cartridge did not have a current connection and to get a new one. I did so and installed them. It did the same thing. I cleaned all along the connectors (cartridges and printer) reinstalled, cleaned glob of black ink out of corner of printer, unplugged power and connection to computer three times, but to no avail... same thing keeps showing. That stinkin orange light indicating something is wrong with the ink cartridges. I dont think its a defective one I just bought, I mean, what are the odds of that?? LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO??
-Chelsea

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (2/26/08 3:34 PM) reply + / -
If you are using refilled cartridges the odds are much higher that you will encounter a defective cartridge.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (2/26/08 9:09 PM) reply + / -
No, I didnt refill anything. I originally took them to do it but the office guy said they still had ink but the black ink cartridge failed the electrical test and I was told to buy a new one. I am using my old color cartridge (not filled) and a BRAND NEW black ink cartridge that I just bought and I am having the same problem. Do you happen to know why?

-Chelsea

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (2/26/08 9:55 PM) reply + / -
If the electrical contacts on the cartridges and carriage are clean, then by 'the luck of the draw' you have a bad cartridge or the color cartridge has failed and the printer is misreporting the problem. It is also possible that the carriage electronics has failed.

If possible test the cartridges in a known working printer. Many of printers on the first web page below are suitable for testing both cartridges with the exception of models that use the 15 cartridge rather than the 45. The second web page lists models that use the 15. Some of them will allow you to test your 78 cartridge.
http://partsurfer.hp.com
http://partsurfer.hp.com

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by tomic (4/25/08 3:57 AM) reply + / -
Maybe this will help...i have HP 920c

Leading the printer to believe the cartridges are new:
- Turn on the printer.
- Open up the cover, remove both cartridges.
- Place both cartridges in front of you so that you can see the contact foil, with the nozzles facing downwards.
- With adhesive tape, cover the four upper contact points on the far left contact column of both cartridges
- Re-insert the two cartridges.
- Close the cover.
- Open the cover again after 2 or 3 seconds.
- Wait until the printer gives you the cartridge carriage (If there seems to be a problem with either of the cartridges, ignore it)
- Open the cover, remove the two cartridges.
- Place both cartridges infront of you so that you can see the contact foil, with the nozzles facing downwards.
- Remove the adhesive tape.
- With adhesive tape, cover the four upper contact points on the far right contact column of both cartridges
- Close the cover.
- Open the cover again after 2 or 3 seconds.
- Wait until the printer gives you the cartridge carriage (If there seems to be a problem with either of the cartridges, ignore it)
- Open the cover, remove the two cartridges.
- Remove the adhesive tape.
- Clean the contacts well.
- Close the cover.
- That's it !!!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by SteveSpringer (5/7/08 12:45 PM) reply + / -
That tape over contacts thing was AWESOME! It worked for my 5150 that insisted I installed a new color cartridge -but don't use for color printing

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by nntom (5/8/08 7:15 AM) reply + / -
COOL !!! Google for little...key words: reseting or how to reset HP cartridges....and put the number of cartridge...78, 15,...

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by chelseabeeb (5/9/08 9:00 AM) reply + / -
Thank you! I will try this as soon as I get home!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (7/19/08 2:12 AM) reply + / -
Hello, I've read lots of good things on this thread, but nothing matches what my 940c is doing. The cartridges go over to the left, the paper roller spins round, then cartridges back to their service station, then that does its stuff, and it goes around again. Sometimes the cartridges pause half way into the service station, but with the power off it is all clean and smooth. It seems not happy that the cartridges have arrived in the right place. Sometimes it does these things forever, sometimes after a few cycles it turns itself off.

The gear wheel driven by the service-station motor has some chewed teeth, and there have been bad noises from this area. I really think that this is the problem and nothing but a new gear wheel will fix it. I've tried washing out the service station, and the tape on contacts trick, all no improvement. Any ideas? Can I buy a new gear wheel? Would anyone whose 940c has died of something else like to send me one?

Richard (Sorry to post anonymous, waiting for sign-up response)

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (7/19/08 11:01 AM) reply + / -
Turn the service station gears by hand to see if it binds.

Occasionally the service station motor fails and causes the grinding noise.

Go to this link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com

You can get the parts online for around $10.
Large gear HP P/N: C5870-40017
Small gear HP P/N: C4557-40079
Motor HP P/N: C5870-60004

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Richard_L (7/19/08 12:29 PM) reply + / -
Thanks. If I turn the service-station gear by hand it gets stuck when the bad teeth arrive at the motor. If I remove the motor, the service station turns easily. If the motor is hanging off and printer powered, the motor runs quietly. With the motor hanging off, connected, and hte service-station (s-s) wound back out of the way, it still won't stop with the cartridges over the s-s. It must think that the cartridges have not arrived at the s-s. How does it know? There are no sensors on the s-s? I've cleaned the plastic strip with the stripes that I think it uses to see where it is.
Richard_L

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (7/19/08 8:51 PM) reply + / -
Since there is no sensor to tell the printer electronics that the carriage is in the service station or detect service station position, I can only assume HP is doing some sort of "magic" related to the the carriage end of travel and the service station end of travel. I have also noticed that when I've forgotten to reconnect the cable to the service station motor that the mechanism goes "weird". Bottom line: Precisely how it works is HP's secret.

As I mentioned, sometimes the service station motor goes bad and the printer can't determine the service station position (grind, rattle). The motor is a stepping motor, meaning that two simultaneous voltage pulses are required to make it rotate. The phase relationship and pulse rate determine direction and speed.

Even thought the gear is damaged I would not assume that the motor was not the original culprit.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Richard_L (7/22/08 2:20 PM) reply + / -
To look for the 'magic' I took off the bar that the cartridges run on, lifted out the cartridges to see the underneath and back - nothing. I think the service station catches and holds the cartridges. When it get to the end I can hold it there, but it keeps pulsing gently trying to move it away. I think it is checking that it is held, if it wanted to move it away it could try much harder. The motor is hanging off, connected, and moving strongly and quietly - alright. When I wind the service station into place by hand, it seems alright, but the printer never gives up pulsing the cartridges to the left. I can't find the 'magic' and I've nearly had enough.
Richard_L

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (8/11/08 2:08 PM) reply + / -
Thanks a lot
Couldn't get my 940C printer to work - new full ink cartridges but still showed 'empty' flashing light.
One variation though, would only work if I left the sticky tape on the top righthand four contacts? Works fine now, so who cares!
Cheers, was just about to buy a new printer.

Stef

HP Deskjet 932C problem by erick1 (8/28/08 8:39 AM) reply + / -
I got a 932C from someone who is now in Spain and I cannot contact her. Yellow arrow keeps going to the color ink empty face (far left). I just replaced the black ink cartridge and the color one is empty, I think , and the printer does not want to print, even when some people say it will still work with black only as long as both are installed. The orange light keeps blinking and yellow arrow keeps on moving to the far left= no color ink. I have tried EVERYTHING you guys have said and nothing..! I know that this printer used to work perfectly ,but I would assume that I will need to install a new color cartridge to make it work.
Can someone help?
Thanks.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (8/28/08 7:54 PM) reply + / -
If you have done the cleaning mentioned in my 4/11/05 8:20 PM post in this thread, then the color cartridge is most likely defective. They don't have infinite life.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (8/28/08 9:02 PM) reply + / -
So, if the color cartridge is defective the printer will not print black only? even when I don't want to print color at all? it will be a shame that I have to go buy a new color cartridge that I will never use just to have the black ink working.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by erick1 (8/29/08 8:40 PM) reply + / -
Update: I just bought a new color cartridge and printer works good now.
Thanks Bert, you were right , I needed to replace color ink to make printer work.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (9/3/08 9:06 AM) reply + / -
this Tape over the sensors idea WORKED A TREAT i was just about to give up before i tryed this.
i put them over the left side and the ink blinking light stopped but paper one started then tryed then over the right side ones and fixed the printer totally didnt need to remove the tape its stil on cartridges and working fine.
THANKYOU

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by m3rry (9/9/08 1:03 PM) reply + / -
I have tried everything on this web page on a 932c that a friend left me, and still keep getting orange blinking light. The only thing that seemed to improve was putting the tapes on the contacts in both sides and leaving them. The yellow arrow moved from the frowning face on the far left side (with 3 dots on top) to the one to its right (with only one dot on top). I still can't print and the light is still blinking. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (9/9/08 1:48 PM) reply + / -
See my 4/11/05 8:20 PM post on this thread. If you are trying to fake the printer into accepting defective cartridges you are wasting your time.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by stark (9/22/08 4:16 PM) reply + / -
I have a color cartridge and a black cartridge. The black cartridge ran out so I refilled it by using a refill kit. I followed the instructions to the t, but ever since I put it back in, the light keeps flashing. I've cleaned the bottom of the cartridge and the light is still blinking. I've refilled cartridges before with the refill kits many times on other printers with no problems. What am I forgetting or doing wrong?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (9/22/08 6:16 PM) reply + / -
Clean the electrical contacts on the cartridges and carriage with a cotton swab and alcohol. If that fails I suggest getting a new cartridge. They don't have an infinite life.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by DKRobinson (3/6/09 8:44 AM) reply + / -
I did the same and problem solved! I cleaned the cartridge and metal parts where the cartridge is inserted. Thank you!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by nycest (5/6/09 8:37 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting an issue where the printer only prints yellow and red. It will not print blue or black. What could be causing this?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (5/6/09 9:31 AM) reply + / -
Verify that ink can flow from the cartridge(s) by blotting the print nozzles on a damp paper towel a few times for two seconds. You should see all of the colors (three-color cartridge: yellow, magenta, and cyan) that are supposed to be in it flowing freely. If you do not, in spite of ink being in the cartridge it is defective.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge err by dossier (7/20/09 7:25 AM) reply + / -
thank you, this was very helpful. Am adventuring into disassembly, appreciate the information!

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by profpat (8/4/09 10:52 PM) reply + / -
this site is great, i fix a lot of printers being the village handyman, will try the tape fix on an hp 900, hope it works! it has a pretty new ink cartridge but still the light blinks..will post result soon..

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by steverar (9/9/09 7:19 PM) reply + / -
I have a deskjet 5150 that was returning "unexpected error (1517)" using the utilities and "black cartridge not compatible" # 56.
Did all the above w/no success.
Swapped the color cart (# 57) and all worked.
Go figure ...

thanks all

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by jfrese (12/2/09 7:16 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP940c, with the blinking ink light. I cleaned out the ink well, cleaned all the contacts & cartridge heads, and even replaced both ink cartridges, but the light continued to blink. Finally I followed HP's recommendation (which had seemed lame at the time) to *unplug* the printer (don't just turn it off) for a couple minutes, and then try again. Ta-dah! It works now, even with the old cartridges.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Anonymous (12/7/09 1:09 PM) reply + / -
I had a power outage. My computer wouldn't boot up. I unpluged the power strip and now the computer works but I have a flashing orange light and when I open the cover, the inside trouble icon is telling me there is something wrong with the black cartridge. I have plenty of ink, is installed correctly but still the light blinks. can anyone help?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Bert (12/7/09 2:30 PM) reply + / -
See my 4/11/05 8:20 PM post.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by eef (1/14/10 2:56 PM) reply + / -
thanks, you helped me fix error1517

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Idanllevy (2/3/10 12:43 PM) reply + / -
Well I did the cleaning and my hp 980 came back to life!
worked well for me!..
Tanks a lot
Idan

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by CindyC (2/28/10 10:32 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone know if the 932C will print properly if only the color cartridge has ink? I obviously know I can print in black only, but was wondering what would happen if I only have color ink? For some reason I have an extra color cartridge, but not black. I don't want to damage the printer. Thanks!

HP Deskjet 950C Black Cartridge error... by Luposian (3/10/10 7:41 PM) reply + / -
I just bought this printer at our local thrift shop for $10.

It has both an HP51645a (black; feels full) & an HP c6578d (tri-color; feels empty)

I've taken both cartridges out and unplugged the printer for about 15 min.

Upon initially turning it on (without any cartridges installed), it flashed all three lights (ink problem, paper, and power) in sequence and then flashed the orange ink problem light.

When I opened the cover, the carriage (yellow arrow) went over to the black ink cartridge problem icon (is the icon symbol a "dead" cartridge?).

Is this a default error, if there are no cartridges in the printer at all or does this indicate a deeper issue? What is the default error, if no cartridges are installed at all?

As well, I've cleaned the cartridges and did the ink blot test. I get ink out of the black, but nothing (not one single color) out of the color cartridge.

Prior to this, I had both cartridges installed and was getting the same error message (black ink cartridge problem icon).

Will an empty/defective color cartridge cause the printer to say there is a problem with the black ink cartridge? This seems unlikely, as the printer does the same thing with BOTH cartridges removed. Is it not detecting the color cartridge (in both cases) and, thus, saying the black cartridge is the problem? Seems weird, but...

I don't want to invest more money (in ink cartridges) and still have a problem, so I'm hoping my lengthy, detailed post will help alleviate that.

HP Deskjet 950C by Luposian (3/12/10 12:33 AM) reply + / -
This is the same printer mentioned above. I decided to do a thorough clean out of the spittoon and discovered, after putting the parts back together, I'm missing a part that controls the capping mechanism. It's a long geared bar that goes across the middle of the black box.

It was never in the spittoon when I took it apart, meaning someone else has messed with this printer before me. I didn't realize that part was missing, initially, because I've never owned/disassembled this model of HP Deskjet before.

Anyhow, I need this part. I don't think I'm missing anything else, from the "blow-up" picture I have of the "spittoon".

If anyone know where I can get one, please let me know.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by LynneD (4/4/10 3:39 PM) reply + / -
Thank you! I had this same problem. I cleaned the cartridge and carriage contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. I reinstalled the cartridges. The light is off and I am printing.

HP deskjet3600 series by Evvy (5/14/10 9:07 PM) reply + / -
I've just replaced the ink (refills) and for some reason now the copier is cutting off the tops of letters.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by dolu kartus (edited 5/27/10 2:17 AM) reply + / -
you can use oto-reset cartridges in your printer. You can see some examples in this site www.dolukartus.com

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Patrick Getty (5/27/10 12:51 PM) reply + / -
Hp Photosmart C4780 printer filled both C/b cartridge's and low light still shows up on both the printer and the laptop G71-34ous

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by edjshaw (3/11/11 1:36 PM) reply + / -
Clearly those of us with cartridge problems have forgotten the essential element: Open cartridge door, take out new cartridge, and put it back in, then turn around three times in clockwise direction and scream 'shazam' with outstretched arms at the printer (as opposed to "$%%&$! I'm on deadline!", which doesn't work). This worked for me. Also worked on the Epson I bought to replace said HP. But Epson refused to turn on again, so the magic is only temporary; so I'm back to reading this forum for cartridge issues with the HP. Thank you HP for forcing -- I mean fostering -- creativity back into the workplace.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by lwagle (6/14/11 5:42 AM) reply + / -
i received an email containing information on a possible lawsuit. it says that HP does this on purpose to make people buy their cartridges before they are empty. It creates a slave relationship and it is stealing from customers. I feel cheated often with my printer, because it does that often.

HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by fixedit (8/1/11 2:54 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem and when I opened it I fould the glorp of ink. I cleaned it with bounty and alcohol and now it's working perfectly. Good Luck.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by swilbrecht (1/18/12 6:44 PM) reply + / -
I've had many problem with both my 932c and a newer hp printer. For some reason they seem to defalt to the color ink much of the time and they don't print very dark. I actually took the color cartage out for awhile to make it use the black ink. Seems like the black may clog up or something when you don't use it regularly. I will not buy another HP printer.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by swilbrecht (1/19/12 12:05 PM) reply + / -
I have a Deskjet 4360 and a 932c both of these seem to have difficutly just printing from the black cartridge. Especially the 4360 keeps printing in blue and does not use the black ink. I think it dries out and doesn't put out black ink if it hasn't been used for several weeks. I think I won't buy another HP printer. I've bought new cartriges and end up with the same problem.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by reddybabu (1/27/12 12:50 AM) reply + / -
I have HP deskjetD 1560 series printer is there. My main problem is the printer light will flash continuously.IF cartridges are intersted but it is flashing and showing error message incompatable cartrides. please give me solution quick..............

Re: HP Deskjet 932C Black Cartridge error by donnamary (2/8/12 8:23 AM) reply + / -
had local comppany refill black cartridge/when light stayed on they worked with it again but light still flashes and will not print. cleaned the contacts and cartidge like I have been reading...cleaned the glob of ink from the machine....still will not print

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by Randa (3/11/12 8:26 PM) reply + / -
Since this long runnning thread seems to cover more than just black ink cart issues.....my trusty 940C will not print yellow or cyan. No blinking light indicating a cart problem, but test pages print only black and magenta. I swapped out the color cart with a new one. No change. Cleaned both the color cart and contacts on the cart carriage with Q-tips and alcohol. No change. Reseated USB cable. No change. Deleted software and reloaded. No change. Haven't tried the sticky tape trick as it isn't clear how that could help. Any other suggestions other than to retire the old box?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by pollostar (edited 3/12/12 5:21 AM) reply + / -
You can re-install cartridges atleast you have to try this once.
follow my steps:
- Take out cartridges and shake well
- Off the printer.
- After turning on , insert cartridges in proper slot.
Try these steps and after this reply me

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by richardatatastan (3/22/12 8:25 AM) reply + / -
I refilled my black but left my colour cartridge empty. Sadly, I have Orange Blink :( the end.

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by henots (7/1/12 5:40 PM) reply + / -
HP 940c with persistent black cartridge error light. Have replaced twice using different #15 refills from Cartridge World. No Joy. Installed fresh refilled #78 color cartridge as well. Blink blink blink . . .
Both cartridges tested okay at the store.
Alcohol cleaned contacts, spring pins, head wipers and reservoir catch tray. Finally attempted adhesive tape method described above. Many plausible solutions are posted here - thank all of you. But HP 940c still not printing. Any last ditch ideas, please ? . . .

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by ramo (7/30/12 7:01 PM) reply + / -
Wow, finally I found the solution for this problem.

I was really mad and I kept hit the printer by a bottle of prefume. I kept hit it exactly where you put the ink Cartridges, and guess what, the printer started to print perfectly :).

The light still blinking, but the printer works perfectly..

I hope this post help other people.

By the way, I am serious.

Re: HP Deskjet 6600 932 cartridge error by torez (8/1/13 9:33 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP 6600 and I just refilled my 4 cartridges (Black and M show as full). Now I'm getting a "depleted cartridge error" message for C and Y. How do I bypass this error message and use my printer?

Re: HP Deskjet 932C & 940C Black Cartridge error by dtorres (2/5/14 11:23 AM) reply + / -
I replaced my black in cartridge and now my test page (school paper) is very hard to read. all the lines are cut in half. Help anyone?

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters