fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Scanner error keeps coming up

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Scanner error keeps coming up by changhun (3/23/05 3:49 PM) reply+1 + / -
HP PSC 750 Scanner failure message comes on the screen tells me to turn off and then on again this was done and still the same thing. How do I fix this?

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by marty (3/23/05 4:09 PM) reply+1 + / -
Yes, I am having the same problem with my psc 2210.

I have reviewed some of the other posts, but am still stuck. I took off the glass covering and cleaned it and lubricated the rod, but the problem still remains. What seems to be happening is that it does not recognize when it has reached the end and the motor keeps on spinning, creating that noise.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks for all the other posts, they have been very helpful.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by mg (4/28/05 8:11 PM) reply + / -
Has anybody figured this problem out? I am having the same issue where the front panle keeps saying "Scanner Failure: Power off and on again." Before displaying this message printer makes loud clicking noise for about a minute or so.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Eddie S. (6/13/05 10:30 PM) reply+1 + / -
To Whom it may Concern; Help!
I have read serval of your stories about this HP PSC 750, where a notice comes up "SCANNER FAILURE, PLEASE TURN OFF AND TURN ON!"
Well I have done this serval times and it worked for a bit, but now it is stuck. So does anyone know what in the hell is going on here?
Thanks! Any one.....:)

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by catperson (6/17/05 5:35 AM) reply + / -
This works for me and I hope it helps you too, I tried the easy fixes (cleaning the glass, plugging it in directly, etc) and they did not work. This mysteriously does. Open Word, print a blank page, then scan/copy away! I leave Word open but I don't know if this is necessary. I know how frustrating this problem is firsthand so GOOD LUCK!!!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (6/26/05 2:41 PM) reply+3 + / -
Thanks Cat for your post! Your solution worked like a charm. I was about ready to do something drastic to my psc, I do love it but it has been having its moments lately and just with the scanner! Now I know what to do and to think HP wanted me to pay them for their advice! HAH!!!

Thanks again

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (7/7/05 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Thank you very much.
You have solved my problems and saved my money
Ciao.
Mario

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (8/2/05 9:38 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip...worked just like you said it would for no apparent reason. Just out of curiosity, how did you stumble across that solution???

Thanks again!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by mmrafi_mdu (8/4/05 8:09 AM) reply + / -
Yes, I am having the same problem with my psc 2210.

I have reviewed some of the other posts, but am still stuck. I took off the glass covering and cleaned it and lubricated the rod, but the problem still remains. What seems to be happening is that it does not recognize when it has reached the end and the motor keeps on spinning, creating that noise.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by dmelouk (8/7/05 4:57 AM) reply + / -
I had this problem develop yesterday after 2 1/2 years of good service from this machine.

I found this fix

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com

Opening up the scanner and removing the large black plastic flap covering the scanner mechanism restored it to full working order.

Why I have no idea? Maybe the cover shifts and covers a sensor or receptor?

I was on the verge of running out and buying another machine!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - T by catperson (8/20/05 5:12 PM) reply + / -
I kind of found it by accident. It worked intermittently and then I realized it always worked after I had printed something out of Word. I was really looking into getting another psc type machine, so I was happy to have found this solution. I think my next one will be a Canon, they seemed to have less problems.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Stephen (edited 8/20/05 8:49 PM) reply + / -
Have you searched this forum for Canon?

You might want to try that someday.

You also might want to look at "Open Threads" and see which printers we don't have answers for. A good percent of the Open Threads are for Canon machines.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (8/22/05 4:11 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP PSC 750,
and I too am getting the same old "Scanner Failure. So Please shut it down and then unplug it.
Well I do not have a re-fresh button like some of those guys say for me to do!
So this is what I found that has worked for me and hopefully for you all.
1. Turn off your printer and then UNPLUG IT!
let it sit for at least 5 minutes then repulg it. (if you do
not need it I sometimes leave it unplug overnight and replug it the very next morning).
This will help it to go into the refresh mode.
2. What is happening here is there is a memory set problem here.
What this printer needs for it to be RE-SET!
This is why we need to un plug it from time to time.

You see when you leave this printer on, it goes into a scanner memory by default 9 Why I do not know but this is my belief!), and when you all try to copy it does not want to go into this copy mode.
By unplugging it and replugging it this will re-set your printer to where it is like it should be.

Now if you are an electrician, you can put an on and off switch on this cord where it is easier for you to reach if your cord is too far buried for you to reach.

And if you are not an electrician...... Please get some help from someone who knows what they are doing and what you are going to do with this powercord for your printer. PLEASE!

NOTE: YOU MAY NEED TO ( UN PLUG AND REPLUG ) THIS MORE THAN ONCE, BECAUSE OF THE STUBBORNESS THAT YOUR PRINTER IS IN AT THAT TIME.

If you need any more help then you can e-mail me at "Maverick2842@sbcglobal.net"

Eddie

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (8/26/05 5:27 AM) reply + / -
Hi

I am having the same problem with my HP, but am not quite sure what 'scan/copy away' means. Do you have a few moments to clarify this for me, as the problem is driving me nuts and I am unable to scan anything.

Your help would be much appreciated.

MG

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (8/31/05 7:30 AM) reply+1 + / -
Thank YOU! IT DOES WORK...I've been having scanner failure problems for months and FINALLY something that really works!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (9/13/05 6:23 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip, it worked great for me

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (9/20/05 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Genius! Logic...? NO. You just saved me from throwing the da.. psc 750 out of the window. THANKS!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by adaervon (10/8/05 7:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have an HP PSC 2210, it prints, faxes and manages to copy but when it comes to scan this comes up: "Error: An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure the scanning device is connected properly and try again." I have tried tis countless times with no success, there's one cable to the All in one and every other function works. Help

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by catperson (10/10/05 11:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Stephen, I will definately keep that in mind. A Comp USA associate also said HP is the best for all in one, so I guess I won't cross them off my list after all.

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY T by catperson (10/10/05 11:54 AM) reply + / -
"Scan/copy away" simply means do all the scanning and copying that you want to do (assuming that this fix worked for you - if not you're still grinding your teeth, punching the wall, etc).

Please note the TRY THIS fix will not work if you already have the error message on your printer. You will need to unplug it first (I recommend 5 minutes). Then when it has done it's little warmup routine continue with the recommendation of opening Word, etc.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Karam (10/11/05 5:57 PM) reply + / -
Dear adaervon,
I have an HP PSC 2210, it prints, faxes and manages to copy but when it comes to scan this comes up: "Error: An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure the scanning device is connected properly and try again." I have tried tis countless times with no success, there's one cable to the All in one and every other function works. Help

I had the same problem for months until today I decided to fix it for once and all. I uninstalled the software on the computer. I downloaded the utility from HP's Website to do a 100% uninstall. I then downloaded the driver 2.1.0 from HP's website and didn't use the CD for the re-installation. Here is the website:

For WinXP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com

The Driver - HP Full Solution Software Driver - 166.14 MB
Cleaner - Software Cleanup Utility - 2.04 MB

When you run the cleaner, open it from where it extracts to (defaults for me was C:\HPAiOScrubber) and run the file OjScrubber.exe and press the plus for the 2200 scanner and uninstall both of those. I donít know if it's necessary but I uninstalled everything on that list.

So again;
1. Uninstall Software from PC (Control Panel).
2. After the forced restart run the Cleaner.
3. Install the driver you downloaded (166.14 MB).

When you install the driver keep the USB wire disconnected until it tells you to plug it in and after you put it in it should take 5min (mouse will freeze, donít worry) then it should show a green check mark, and it will continue the installation.

I did that and it worked for me.

Later.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (10/21/05 10:10 AM) reply + / -
Try this. Unplug your printer for 30 seconds. Then hold down the cancel and left arrow buttons and plug it back in and release the buttons. This resets the printer. It worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Biscuit (2/21/06 10:10 AM) reply + / -
Well guys i had the same problems as everyone else. I tried all of your solutions, but nothing seemed to work. I noticed that my scanner bulb was stuck in the middle of the glass, so i figured maybe that was a problem. I detatched the scanner from the printer and shook the bulb back down to the original start position, and then plugged it back in. Works like a chram now!!! Hope This helps you all out!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (2/22/06 11:44 AM) reply + / -
Wow....Weird...I have a HP Office Jet K60...with 1 mths worth of annoying...yup...scanner failure.
This actually worked....10 seconds before I was leaving to buy another scanner...THANKS!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Ian9999 (9/18/06 2:56 AM) reply + / -
If you have the message "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device" when trying to use HP Director the problem may be that the windows image aquisition service is not started.

Go to services and find windows image aquistion set it to automatic (rmb -> properties) and then start it if it isn't.

I found this by looking in event viewer under system. The event message was related to stillimage and actually said something useful along the lines of: "the scanjet 5590 will not start because windows image and aquisition service is not running". Why couldn't this be displayed in the original error message it would have been far more useful! Have a look to see if there are any other events related to the scanner

Still at least event viewer can be useful...

Hope this helps

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (11/16/06 5:17 PM) reply + / -
Unbelievable - thanks, I was getting so frustrated. Worked like a charm, thanks again
Adrian

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by craftydogg (11/19/06 1:58 AM) reply + / -
Removing the the long black cover on the light bulb assembly works.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by stupified (11/26/06 1:39 PM) reply + / -
Why does this work Crafty? Oh and it does work. You must be a hp insider thank you!!!!!! I just cant believe that was all, silly isn't it. THIS REALLY WORKS EVERYONE.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (11/28/06 8:39 AM) reply + / -
I think it occures when it is cold. when i use it in warm seasons i dont get any error or when i try in cold then it comes this.do you have any idea about it?

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (1/17/07 7:36 PM) reply + / -
I tryed your fix - thanks - everything on my printer had been working fine till recently i had to keep unplugging the power and usb cable. For some reason leaving Microsoft word open resolved this. Not sure why just grateful to be able to use my scanner again. Thanks.

Hp psc 750xi by 7snake (1/22/07 1:26 PM) reply + / -
There is probably an issue with your scanner connection.

Reconnecting the scanner from the outside, using Microsoft Word, or unplugging your scanner for 6 months probably will not work very well.

Tyr opening the glass case, unplugging the small data cord from the inside, and then replugging it. Your scanner should work again like new.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (1/29/07 3:28 AM) reply + / -
hi everyone, i have a hp750PSC also. i also had problems with my scanner and copier part of it not working and also the error message kept coming up about the scanner. what i found to have fix this problem after a lot of searching and trying to get it going again with no avail. this is what i had done to get it working again. i had uninstalled it from my computer and reinstalled it again. now it is working like when i bought it bran new. lucky enough i still had the installation cd for it. good thing i don't throw things out to fast. good luck i hope this will help you out.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (2/3/07 7:15 AM) reply + / -
Brilliant! like so many others i was on the point of throwing the machine away but something so simple saved the day - many thanks! just can't understand why it works .....but glad it does!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (2/3/07 11:24 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Cat, It worked! I don't know how or why, but it worked!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (3/13/07 8:31 PM) reply + / -
You are so correct. I simply opened up the lid with a #10 Torx and removed the black plastic flap. Problem solved!

Thank you!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (4/5/07 3:24 PM) reply + / -
Thank you my man. YOU ARE A GENUIS. How much do I owe you.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (4/10/07 12:45 PM) reply + / -
Go figure, but whomever suggested to unplug for 30 seconds, push the left arrow and cancel, plug back in and release the left and cancel, THANK YOU!!! It worked and I have no idea why!!!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by ddizzy70 (4/15/07 10:45 AM) reply + / -
i again have this thing taken apart for the third time.i have a hp 6110 all in one.the scanner seems to just sit there running,but not moving.the glass is clean,i havent found the sensor so i dont know if its being blocked by something.i can manually slide the light to the left and it will work normally going back across,but thats as much movement that i am getting.belts seem to be fine ribbon seems to be fine....does anyone one know what the deal is.i am ready to trash this thing,but i am sure its fixable.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (4/15/07 11:48 AM) reply + / -
ddizzy70, disconnect and reconnect the white strip that is on the sensor. This white strip connects to the data center of the scanner, telling your scanner which way to move. It also powers your scanner. I have a different model (hp psc 750xi ) but i think that all the all-in-one products have this white strip. This was how I fixed my scanner, when it wouldn't even turn on and said "Scanner failure error"

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by baydrgn (5/16/07 12:16 PM) reply + / -
I fixed this problem on my printer in a most unusual way.
The initialization failed because the light was projecting an uneven light pattern. The bulb itself has an aluminum strip that holds the bulb but also holds a white reflective strip under the bulb. This is so the bulb will be diffused and project an even wash of white light toward the glass. If you look at the white reflective strip under the bulb surface you may notice that the strip has aged and shrunk back...mine had unevenly pulled away more in the centre than on the edges of the bulb revealing a black uneven surface. My fix was to paint over the blackened portion of the strip with some white model airplane enamel (Testers). This restored the scanner. Hope this helps someone.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (5/16/07 3:50 PM) reply + / -
actually the uneven strip is normal on all of the 750s. Thats how they came. Not saying that's not what fixed it, but thought u might like to know.

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (5/16/07 3:52 PM) reply + / -
you can remove that strip (under the bulb)thats in the aluminum and see that it is made to have thick black on both sides.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (6/6/07 6:22 PM) reply + / -
HP 2210PSC,

Scanner failure...turn power off than on...ALL four lights, COPY, FAX, SCAN, and PHOTOCARD blink continously...

Every time the printer gets turned on and goes throught the initalization process it makes the loud noise as the scanner bulb attempts to make a pass accross but fails...never even needed to scan anything.

Proceeded to buy new printer for the house for the wife and kids to use....Now starting a new business so dug it out from the basement, connected it to my computer with the software loaded and still it does not work. Has the same exact issues...Read all the suggestions...Want to remove the strip under the bulb as suggested, but dont know how to get at the bulb. Do you need a special tool?? Does this end the nightmares for good??

Can this unit be salvaged or am I better off just buying a newer model and be done with it??

HELP Please!!!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (6/10/07 2:35 AM) reply + / -
I had all the problems described by everyone else. Scanner failure etc. for about 9 months. Sometimes it worked sometimes not. Followed all of the suggestions ( cleaning glass and bulb etc. ) but it only worked a couple of times before I got the error again. After the third time of cleaning the glass, I noticed that there were a few marks on the white underside of the lid ( the bit that touches the top of the glass ). I cleaned this as well and now everything is back to normal. It looks as though the bulb is looking for some kind of registration mark etched into the glass and even a small bit of dirt etc. seems to confuse it. Hope this helps a little.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by corneilus (7/5/07 4:12 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to thank the previous posts. My HP 2210 all-in-one wouldn't print at all and I kept getting failed to print errors. Later, I had the scanner failure printer making noise incident described in this forum. Unplugging the HP and letting it sit for a couple of hours did the trick. Not only did it fix the scanner error, it also allowed me to print again after the printer refreshed itself. Re-loading updated drivers from the HP site didn't help, but the unplugging thing did the trick.

Thanks!
Corneilus

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (7/26/07 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Problem just started last week. I was amazed to see how many others have the same problem. Your idea worked great. Any word on whether HP has a permanent fix for this?

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (7/26/07 5:36 PM) reply + / -
Quote:

"I was amazed to see how many others have the same problem. Your idea worked great. Any word on whether HP has a permanent fix for this?"

Ha! the scanner error problem on hp machines go way, way, way back! permanent fix? no chance :)

I suspect the hardware and software engineers at hp are playing push-the-blame politic. No party wants to admit responsibility :(

I bet the problem could be solved easily software or hardware wise if they really wants to fix the problem.....but then they are admitting faults! Not a good idea.....heads roll!

I've been fixing fax machine for 20 yrs. The best (in terms of fail proof scanner error problem) scanner system i've seen was a >20yrs old sharp fo-2515 fax machine. I've seen one of these in a warehouse with the main scanner mirror coated with thick dust and the machine wasn't even giving a faint copy!!! Let alone scanner error problem (although no such detection on that machine) :)

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up- fix by Anonymous (8/2/07 4:44 AM) reply + / -
You can follow these steps to resolve the issue.
How to clean without removing the bulb:

Take off the hood.

At the back side, on top behind the window, are two round holes. With a small screwdriver you can take out the two screws.
Lift the back side of the window and at the same time click the front loose (first left then right).

The window can fully be taken off by disconnecting the wire (there is a plug at the rear side of the window on the right side).

On top of the bulb and mirrors there is a black cap, you can remove it by putting a small screwdriver in the two square holes
(one at a time) and pull the screwdriver to the right, the cap clicks off.

Now you can see the mirrors and the back side of the bulb (at the back side there is a wire). Clean the mirrors and the front side of the bulb using a wet cloth (with your small finger you can clean the front side of the bulb, that looks down).
You don't need to remove the bulb!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (8/7/07 4:52 PM) reply + / -
Holy Cow!!! Whoever said to unplug, let sit for 30 seconds with no power, press and hold the left and cancel puttons, plug back in, and then release the buttons was right on. I was 30 minutes from going out to buy a new one and probably upgrade to a laser printer. This was a full success on my HP750 psc.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (9/23/07 12:49 PM) reply+1 + / -
Thanks catperson, you are a genius! I struggled for weeks on this problem until I saw your message today and decided to try. My psc 2010 amazinlgy started to work again. Happy now.

Franco

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Brooke (9/26/07 10:49 AM) reply + / -
OK!! This at least got it functioning again. I have already thrown a HP psc 750 away because of this! I assumed it had just burned out. I still own two more that have started doing this same thing and you may have just saved me some big bucks!!!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (10/1/07 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Thanks man its work ok caoo!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - T by philopsych (11/19/07 7:38 AM) reply + / -
Catperson: On my HP d135, with the scanning failure, turn off and on command, I tried your short fix of printing a blank Word document, then trying the scan, but that didn't work.

However, your longer instruction worked - at least temporarily. After unplugging the printer for 5 minutes, then replugging it, the self-test lasted a bit longer than before; then I printed a blank document again followed by an attempted scan. It was able finally to scan a new document.

Unfortunately, the scanner failure notice came on again a while later. Do I have to go through this procedure every time I want to scan something? Or is there another fix to add to this one, like keeping the printer unplugged overnight, and disconnected from everything - something that didn't work the last time I tried it, before attempting your Word-printing trick?

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (11/26/07 4:52 AM) reply + / -
I smashed mine to pieces and bought a new one. Works like a charm!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (11/26/07 1:35 PM) reply + / -
I fixed it!!!! sorry you mashed yours before I could get to you.

If you right click on the HP Director and go to properties, then Compatibility. You need to uncheck the box for Run this program in campatibility mode for:. I had to do this 10 times but now it's working fine.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Meee (11/26/07 2:58 PM) reply + / -
Thank-you Anonymous, I did exactly what you said and it works perfectly now!!! (HP Scanjet 5550c)

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (2/15/08 8:11 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip about removing the rectangular black plastic cover on the scanner mechanism. This remedy was also suggested by someone in another blog. Lo and behold! After taking off the cover, my HP750 now scans like a charm! I admit I had considerable trouble getting to the cover. The screws that hold in the top frame for the main glass scanner plate did not have slots for a flathead, Philips, or Allen wrench screwdriver. I ended up drilling into the plastic near the screws in order to free them. (No matter appearance wise, as the holes face the rear of the printer.) It was a hassle getting to the cover, but well worth the effort! My highest gratitude for coming up with a solution!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by imlikeafish (2/18/08 7:49 AM) reply + / -
how annoying! The message below randomly pops up in an error window even though I am not using the 2200 series all-in-one. I sat down at my pc this morning to view about 20 cascaded error windows that had pooped up during the night. I turned off the printer and about 10 mins later the error window popped up!

unless someone who has found a solution to this specific problem comes along (hopefully) I'll try some of the remedies I've read here. Thanks!

Error!
---------------------------
An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again.
---------------------------
OK

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (3/1/08 11:07 PM) reply + / -
you people are AMAZING : )THANKYOU KARAM !

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by kinababes (7/15/08 2:17 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the suggestions. I was having problems with my HP PSC 2210 printer's "Scanner error". I tried unplugging the power cord from the back and leaving it unplugged for 5 minutes but that didn't seem to work so I tried removing the glass from the printer and cleaning the bottom part (the unreachable part of the glass) and now it works!

By the way, HP already has a help page which includes pictures on how to remove the glass.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Hope this helps. I had the same problem a few months before and ended up going to a repair shop which cost some money. I almost brought it back earlier today but I decided to learn how to do it myself.

Thanks again. =)

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (7/31/08 3:37 PM) reply + / -
Hey Guys,I was having the same problem with my printer locking on warming up. But when I popped up the status window, it also said scanner failure.

For the heck of me could not find a solution on the hp site.

My common sense told me to uplug,clean,etc. I really did not want to remove parts, I was going crazy.

Finally, I typed in: scanner error in my explorer search box and found this site,

Thank U GOD!

******I wrote down the excellent directions of how to clean, but I also wrote down some other success tries and did that first.******

Thank God that the first quick fix actually helped me to fix the problem.

*** It said to go to hp director/properties/and unclick compatablity box.***

Well,--my box was already un checked,-- so I decided to check it and see if that worked.

I was amazed that checking the earlier version which was first on the list (windows 95) actually corrected my problem.

I have the hp psc 950 all in one which I bought with my Windows XP
4500 Computer in 2002.

I no longer use that computer and use the printer with my new lap top bought last year.

In any event, it is fine and will keep the cleaning directions for the future if the problem comes back up.

U Guys R Great.

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (8/16/08 12:40 AM) reply + / -
Thanks, this solved my 'error while communicating with scanning device' on a Windows XP - HP 1219 PSC combination.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Harold M (8/23/08 6:56 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for all the previous posts. Alas, I took the advice of a tech guru and bought a new PSC unit, only to discover this site. I did the glass cleaning trick, plugged the machine back in, and bingo! Works a treat. So I'll take the old printer into work and use it there. Excellent site. Cheers, HM

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (11/6/08 5:12 PM) reply + / -
Here's the fix. Don't use the 750 PSC software with XP. Just plug the printer USB in and turn on the power. XP finds its own driver and you;re done. prints/scans/ copies no problem,

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (11/21/08 6:12 PM) reply + / -
I have HP 610 copier/printer having same error message and your solution worked!!!! Thanks so much - was going to buy a new one. 11/21/08

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (12/8/08 8:47 AM) reply + / -
I kept getting the error message:An error occurred communicating with the scanner device. Please ensure that the scanner device is connected properly and try again. I finally found the fix. Go to this link and follow the instructions to remove the usb thing. It worked. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, inplugging and everything else.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (2/7/09 4:08 PM) reply + / -
The unplug for 30seconds and plug in with holding the left and cancel buttons works like a charm.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (2/27/09 2:39 PM) reply + / -
OMG!!! catperson you are a genious!! I have been fighting with my printer for over a year. Printing a blank page from Word did the trick. It's copying like it was brand new and didn't cost a cent! Thanks!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (3/16/09 5:35 AM) reply + / -
So, I also had some error when I was scanning photo with my hp psc 750 and it said please connect to PC.
So, what I did was connect the printer using the USB cord and then scan through paint.

Option two: Scan using Paint
Click the Windows icon, click Programs , and then click Accessories .
Click Paint .
Click File , and then click From Scanner or Camera .
Click Scan .

So hopefully it might work for you guys.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Skischule (4/25/09 7:51 AM) reply + / -
Cat's a legend.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Ex (8/1/09 2:47 PM) reply + / -
Tried all the resets to no avail, but when I did the cleaning procedure the problem disappeared - Thanks!!!

Re: Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (10/11/09 2:34 PM) reply + / -
am having the same problem but was wondering what plastic to remove help please

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (10/12/09 12:38 PM) reply + / -
WTF IT WORKED! @_@

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by ol_hubba (11/5/09 10:54 PM) reply + / -
Very simple. Tried everthing to get rid of "error occurred ..." mesg.
Trying to go via ethernet. Was not using USB.
Finally, two things in sequence fixed it.
1. Power off your switch if you have one for 15 seconds. Turn on.
2. In your host file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) I added the IP address of the all-in-one (you must obtain that) in connection with the FULL MAC address (but preceeded with "HP"), and your printer name of your all-in-one. Save and close the host file. Example of my entry:

192.168.1.111 HP001636553366 denprn denprn.local

That's what did it!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up hp j4680 by pmmr (11/19/09 4:25 PM) reply + / -
will not scan..... brand new from box

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by moe (11/19/09 8:19 PM) reply + / -
Either read the manual or take it back to the store and exchange it.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Barbara McEntyre (12/8/09 5:42 PM) reply + / -
Although these posts were written in 2005 and it is 2009, I have had a periodic problem with error messages on our HP LaserJet 3300 series printer/scanner/fax, indicating there was a scanner error, and to power on/off. But that never worked UNLESS you left power off for literally several hours (even a couple of hours wouldn't do). I tried everything, rebooting computer, etc. - nothing ever worked, so the printer had to be off for hours, usually overnight. But catpereson's trick here, i.e., printing a blank page from Word worked to restore everything like a charm! Thanks and good luck to anyone who has similar printer/scanner error messages.

SOLVED : Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (12/11/09 11:48 PM) reply + / -
I found this error in cold days more often.
I increased the room temperature.
Plug it directly to the main power board,
amazingly both scanner bulb warm up problem & can not communicate errors solved.

Recommendations:
1. Switch off your AC or set bit high temp.
2. Connect it with main power board.

Re: SOLVED : Scanner error keeps coming up by Barbara McEntyre (12/12/09 11:45 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for your reply. Oddly enough, the room where the printer is does get very cold, so I will turn up the furnance. When you say plug directly to the main power board, do you mean not to use a power strip, or...?

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by spark67y (12/24/09 11:06 AM) reply + / -
I've got a psc 750 with this problem, and it finally got to where we could not print, even after powerdown. I got it to work - at least for now - by unplugging the power and usb while I read these threads, which was several minutes and then only powered it up and did NOT hook up the usb until later.

As an Electrical Engineer, I did this based what I thought was BS info to unplug it for several minutes (advice from earlier) while i searched for a solution. None of the solutions mentioed gave me any real hope, but we can print now, but couldn't after downloading the entire driver, etc. By the way, I still get a scanner error, but at least we can print.

For what it's worth, but I have to believe I'll be back.

Sparky

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by tomtom2371 (1/27/10 8:29 AM) reply + / -
I took the top off and unpluged the scanner. No more problems.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by f6gnz (1/28/10 6:07 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
It all started by PSC 2210 asking me to check cartridge. After checking and cleaning and getting always the same message, I bought and inserted a new black (56) cartridge. Printer asked me to press Enter to align cartridges, and after each pressing I got consecutive messages: Report waiting, press Enter to align, occupied, press enter to align, printing (but nothing prints out) press enter to align, occupied, then Scanner failure switch off and on. I switch off/on, same endless loop.
In HP knowledge base found "Press enter to Align Cartridges" document that says how to bypass the cartridge alignment: Press and hold the Setup button and press the Options button.
Done, and this stopped the endlesss loop of "Preess Enter to Align Cartridges", but printer still did not print, copy nor scan, connected or not to the W2000 PC.
Had online chat with HP technical support, they made me try semi and full resets (# and 3 / # and 9, also #and 6) unplugging, on/offs etc et finally declared there must be a hardware error and I have to buy a new printer.
Read all messages on this site and tried to print empty Word file etc, still "Scanner failure" and no print.
on HP Customer Care . HP PSC2410 Photosmart All-in One Printer found document "How to clean the Scanner Glass" , with pictures describing how to dissasemble front cover. I did it and WOW ! :
found scanner traction motor small power plug had jumped out. This explains why scan head had never moved after failure appeared. I plugged it in, checked it sits in OK, re-assembled the unit and ALL WORKS OK !
I was almost ready to throw the printer away and purchase a new (non-HP one).
This Forum is a great place to find the solution, so thanks to all those giving inputs to it!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by printbuddy (1/30/10 8:04 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP PSC 2210xi all-in-one and when I turn it on it starts making a loud clicking noise then a message comes up that says
" Scanner Error Turn off printer and turn on again."

If anyone knows what to do please reply.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by moe (1/31/10 7:50 AM) reply + / -
I know, I know! Read the thread. It's got all kinds of info on how to get rid of the error. Why do you think it's titled "scanner error"?

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (2/1/10 6:07 AM) reply + / -
This worked for me when making a copy I didn't try a scan, thanks a lot.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by SonjaBoy (3/4/10 12:28 PM) reply + / -
Check this link below

http://www.out-of-warranty.com

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (3/7/10 10:39 AM) reply + / -
Hi Cat,

This worked for me too. Thanks!! HP also wanted to charge me for advice over the phone. What a scuzzy company, never buy HP again.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by Anonymous (5/1/10 7:29 PM) reply + / -
Omg thank you so much; I have no idea why the hell that even worked but it did!!! I'd been trying for like 2 hours straight to fix the problem and just pressing some buttons fixed it? Just WOW!

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by Anonymous (5/11/10 12:47 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the fix, It worked for me... All I done was open word, printed a blank document, minumized word and then I scanned 20 to 25 pictures into my computer with no problems at all. Thanks again. it worked for me.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by tribbledibble (5/25/10 2:37 PM) reply + / -
I had this problem. Every time I tried to use the scanner I got a Scanner Error message. Believe it or not I changed the Color ink cartridge because it was low on one of the colors and it's been working ever since. I'm guessing that if either the black or color ink is low the printer locks out the scanner to save what ink is left for printing. Just thought you might like to know

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up - TRY THIS! by njkelly10 (3/5/11 9:14 AM) reply + / -
Scanner error 0x00000015 - I've spent days trying to find out how to fix this. I'm am so happy to find your message.
Thanks catperson for such a simple fix. Don't know how you figured it out but it did work to fix the scanner error on my HP6310. Wish I would have found this days ago. Thank you very much. Amazing fix. JK

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by natgul (3/9/11 7:02 AM) reply + / -
hi all! i have same problem but with epson stylus sx515w... does anyone knows how to fix it? i've tried to do what you recomended but it did't work :(
please help!!

Re:cat by Polka dot (4/10/11 1:32 PM) reply + / -
Worked perfectly!!!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by m Johnson (5/25/11 10:28 PM) reply + / -
I went to a client today who has a 2210. She does not have a computer and uses the unit as a copier & fax. She is in her late 70's & totally not electronics savvy, I have to load the adding machine tape in her credit card machine for her. (I loaded the software in my laptop and scan/print with it when I am there.)

Today I went in & she had the top open (like to put in a cartridge, something she does not do, but waits for my monthly appt with her for me to do it, not the top flap over the glass to put something in to copy/scan)& told me it would not go down. I could not figure out why or how she opened it. I closed it. A message to remove & check the cartridge came up. I did so & cleaned both with a tissue as there was no alternative to use. We replaced the color cartridge, same. A new black cartridge was purchased & replaced. Now we have a message to press enter to align the cartridge, so I am presuming I found the problem, but pressing enter does nothing as it is now having the scanner problem - screeching, 4 lights flashing, scanner failed, unplug... over the press to align message.
I, of course, unplugged the power cord numerous times, & she in an attempt to help even unplugged the phone cord, & I am sure plugged it in the wrong outlet again. Of course nothing was resolved.

I will call her & have her try some of the simpler ideas listed, starting with leaving it unplugged over the holiday weekend. Is it possible that it sitting with the lid up for I don't know how long, did something to it? Also she had put something in to copy, could removing it from the glass, as she has left it in, possible reset it? Thank you.

Re: Re: Scanner error keeps coming up & Chk Cartr by Tom in California (7/27/11 9:31 PM) reply + / -
The Check Cartridge message on the HP psc 750 seems to be triggered when ink collects around the cartridge electrical contacts. Wipe off the contacts with a wet paper towel, it may take several. Also wipe off the mating contacts in the printer. Dry them both as well as you can.

IMPORTANT: Leave the cartidge out of the printer and the printer cover open for a while, 2.5 hours worked for me. The contacts in the printer are impossible to dry completely and the residual moisture seems enough to re-trigger the error message.

(The above learned the hard way when "Doing a favor for a neighbor.")

Re: Scanner error 5 & 2 by ajay kumar (1/2/12 2:33 AM) reply + / -
hp laser jet 2727nf & 3055

thanks! by KATIEcornie9900 (1/19/12 3:09 PM) reply + / -
Thank you catperson!!! Printing the blank page works!!!!!!~!!!!!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by rrrmmm (edited 1/23/12 5:22 AM) reply + / -
check this hpxp3390 dll missing post to know more details...

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by alysshawk (2/6/12 4:16 AM) reply + / -
Computer: Mac (OSX Lion)
Printer: b110a
Problem: Communication error when scanning from computer.
Can someone help? I have scoured the Internet but there are only solutions for Windows. :/

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by scarecrow1976 (2/13/12 5:21 PM) reply + / -
Well. This is a fail. Entirely. No new driver solution, no amount of trying to print from word. Epic and entire fail. Thanks HP for not keeping up with the drivers for your old devices. Morons.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by RandomDude91591249 (11/17/12 11:58 PM) reply + / -
What finally worked for me was uninstalling the printer (in Windows 7), and then replugging in the USB cord which results in a reinstallation of the print drivers. I then did a scan acquire through Windows of a blank scanner bed, which appeared to work fine. I then rebooted my computer and printed a blank page, then a page with one word on it, and finally a document. Reinstalling the drivers, rebooting, and powercycling the printer (along with perhaps printing that blank page) appears to have done the trick. This can certainly be a frustrating issue. Good luck to everyone!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by hailey (3/5/13 8:00 AM) reply + / -
Oh My Gosh! That worked! Thank you SO MUCH!

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by datrashenko (edited 4/2/13 5:41 AM) reply + / -
It may help if you carefully wipe a bulb with a very soft tissue a few times; for this you'd need to get access to the scanning assembly itself (normally done easily). Combine as needed with #6 or #3 resets. Needless to say the device has to be unplugged from mains.

Re: hp 4110 all in one power supply dead by pkdatta (8/22/13 10:48 AM) reply + / -
hp 4110 has a ST L6565 based power supply, it was dead a few years ago, I managed to fix it by replacing120mfd 400Volt capacitor. but this time it again failed and I dont have a clue !
any body have a suggestion ? my scanner too failed with the amber led
blinking rapidly, but it worked as a fine printer scanner board close to the scanner connector showed a swollen chip resister ,that i was unable to read.

Thank you
P.K.Datta
Calcutta.

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by ol_hubba (11/14/13 12:03 AM) reply + / -
I am finding this issue to be hosts file issue.
My last reply was Nov. 5, 2009, and I will here refine the process a little:

In your host file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) add THREE lines at the bottom of the file:

1. Add the localhost IP address line ...
127.0.0.1 localhost myftpserver

2. Add the IP address of the all-in-one (you must obtain that) in connection with the FULL MAC address (but preceded with "HP"), and your printer name of your all-in-one.

3. Then add the third line that (yes, redundantly) associates your printer name that you have given it to the FULL MAC address. SAVE and close the hosts file. No need to restart the computer. Example of my three entries at the bottom of the hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost myftpserver
192.168.1.111 HP001636553366 denprn denprn.local
denprn.local HP001635553156

What is important is that you find the name of the printer (in this case "denprn" --> you can find it from your router setup) and CORRECTLY associate that to your MAC address of your device (all-in-one unit) in your hosts file.

It works.

Problem indicate in hp laserjet 3050 all in one by Parag (12/18/13 4:57 AM) reply + / -
I have a problem of scanning in hp laserjet 3050 all in one printer , print, copy , fax sent and received ok but not scanning done, message indicate that no paper found in document feeder pls! help me for this problem

Re: Scanner error keeps coming up by philly5706 (12/18/13 5:07 PM) reply + / -
You have a problem with the ADF (automatic Document Feeder) the sensor is not sensing the presence of paper. Reseat the connector wire on both ends. If that doesn't help then you'll have to replace the ADF assembly.

HtH
Phil K

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters