fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

How to bypass a cartridge expiration date

Post a new message thread

How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by sayersman (1/27/05 10:26 AM) +3 + / -
Could some kind person explain how I can bypass the cartridge expiration date on an HP Photosmart 1218 printer? I have two blacks and three color cartridges in stock and they all have expired!

Thanks in advance! ~Sharon

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Denny Conway (1/27/05 11:06 AM) + / -
Sharon: I'm sorry, but unless your printers ink cartridges, actually have tiny Electrical Chips mounted onto the body of the actual ink cartridge itself, I know of no way to bypass the expiration date. If your cartridges have those electrical chips on them, then you would need to go on-line and try and find a Chip Resetter, to try and reset thos electrical chips with. As I normally help out with the Epson Printer problems, thats the only chip resetters that I know of. You would need to do a search on the internet for your particular printer, to try and locate a chip resetter for its ink cartridges. The only source that I can even recommend that you try is MIS Associates Inc, at http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/main2.html ...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (1/29/05 2:51 PM) -1 + / -
Normally HP ink cartridge expiration dates are for reference only, the cartridges may work after that date, BUT, are not guaranteed to work.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by moe (1/29/05 4:33 PM) +2 + / -
Since the date chips look at the computer clock, all you need to do is set it back one year. You can always return it after you are done printing. Bit of an inconvenience, but you'll get the most out of the cartridges. HP claims it chips them because expired cartridges can damage the printer. What a kind-hearted company, concerned you might damage your printer and then you wouldn't need to buy more of their overpriced ink cartridges.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (1/30/05 9:40 AM) + / -
I checked the Photosmart 1218 uses #45 & #78 cartridges, these cartridges are not chipped.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (2/3/05 9:22 AM) +1 + / -
Thanks everyone for your responses! Stephen, you are correct, my printer does use the 45 and 78. My cartridges expired 2002 (needless to say, I'm pretty tight-fisted with my printing!) When I use those cartridges that are expired, I get an error message saying that the cartridge is empty, even though I had JUST broken into the packaging. Any suggestions?

Thanks again! ~Sharon

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Denny Conway (2/3/05 10:39 AM) -1 + / -
Sharon: Either install new ink cartridges, that are not actually expired, or try MOE's suggestion, posted two messages above your last message...Denny Conway

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (2/6/05 2:38 PM) +2 + / -
Look here one ideea :http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php
First, you disconnect the power and the printer cable, just to be sure. Then, you reached inside the printer and carefully remove the battery for one hour, maybye you have the chance to reset the printer internal clock...
It worked for me too...HP Cp1700

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (2/6/05 5:21 PM) -1 + / -
Sharon,

Your cartridge has died of old age.

Stephen

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (2/10/05 2:26 AM) + / -
Can you tell me where is located the battery on HP Cp1700?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Quasim (2/18/05 6:07 AM) +1 + / -
Thanks a lot for the http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php

solution. The battery in the OfficeJet printers is hidden behind the left side panel.

It worked GREAT for me!!!

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (2/22/05 2:31 AM) +1 + / -
Thanks. It worked for me too!!!

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (2/26/05 3:49 PM) +4 + / -
I just tore into mine and found the battery and I am just waiting an hour to re-install it so I can't tell you for sure if it worked for me. But this is how you get to the battery. From the rear of the printer remove the rear feeder by depressing both buttons and lifting away from the body of the printer. Next remove the right darker grey cover by removing two T-20 Torx head screws, one on top and the other under the feeder tray you just removed. Slide the cover back about an inch and then pull out. Under that cover you will see a metal plate mounted vertically that has three T10 Torx screws that you will need to remove. Once you have done that you can tip that plate out and see the battery. Depending on how nimble your fingers are you can determine if and which cables you need to unplug to get to the battery. With my fat hands I needed to remove 4 of the cables that plug into that board. Once I did that I was able to get to the battery and pulled it out. It looks just like the one pictured on the other site. Hopefully I haven't done anything to fry a component. I will write again in a while and let you know how it turned out.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Rich Larsen (2/26/05 6:07 PM) + / -
Sorry, the above message was regarding the HP CP1700. After getting everything back together it appears to have been a complete success. Cartridges are no longer expired (amazing huh?) and working great! Sure glad I found this forum. Thanks to those that host it and provided the good information.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (3/1/05 9:12 AM) -1 + / -
For a HP Business Inkjet 2250 (cartridge #10), remove the bottom of the cartridge (containing the chip) and replace it with the bottom from a newer cartridge.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (3/30/05 5:54 PM) + / -
To flip the vertical plate and reach the battery I just cut one wire holder to the black cable going from a socket in the back.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by rookuk (4/7/05 9:40 AM) + / -
Went to remove the battery on my cp1700 today and the retaining spring snapped. This meant the cover had to come off, the battery holder removed by snapping the -ve electrode, and using trimmed small cable connectors,( those with a brass block and two small screws, coverd with plastic) attached a couple of feet of wire to the remains of the snapped electrodes and passing them out through the back of the printer. Then connected to a new battery holder. Inserted the battery and placed in a plastic box for safety. The out of date cartridge is now back in use, while the battery is now easily accesible outside of the printer. Well done site for pointing me in the right direction. (ps instead of removing the battery a thin piece of plastic slid under the +ve electrode for an hour might work)

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by miketb (4/15/05 4:57 PM) + / -
Another question: If you only have the black cartridge and don't feel like buying a color one, how can you bypass the fact that you need both cartridges to print?

Seems a little silly (or greedy) that HP prevents you from printing all together if you don't buy both cartridges.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Denny Conway (4/18/05 1:31 PM) +1 + / -
miketb: GREEDY is probably a kind thing to say. Unfortunatly, you must have two good ink cartridges installed in your HP Printer, to even be able to simply use the black or even the color...Denny Conway

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by coco (4/22/05 12:46 PM) + / -
Thank“s for the useful help here! I removed the battery, according to the discription found here, on my cp1700 and did not but it back. I restarted after 10 minutes and the catridges that was out of date could be used! I still don“t know if the battery needs the be there, but it seems as the only reson for it is to remeber the dates of the catridges...

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by too easy (5/6/05 9:26 AM) +1 + / -
CP1700 - No disassembly required. I reached in thru the top with a business card folded in half lengthwise. I was able to get it between the clip and the battery. Within 5 minutes of pulling the power cable I was able to print, the card still in place. I may remove the card as it may be a fire hazard. Thanks for all the previous post!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (5/6/05 7:25 PM) + / -
That is too easy! What fun is it if you can't take something apart and make the family think you know what you are doing? If there is a difficult way to do things, that seems to be the one I will find. Thanks for the tip.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by kdaodiccd (5/29/05 12:06 AM) + / -
Wow! Thanks guys. I also have a CP700. I followed the advice and removed the battery. Now all my cartriges work again after the printer refused to print just minutes before. I used the access panel is on the left - it only requires two or three screws to get it loose, but it slides out and is easier to get out than back in. If you have needle nose pliers, you can reach inside and wedge the battery loose too. It worked perfectly. I haven't put the battery back and it has been weeks. The printer works perfectly and even tracks print head status and ink levels. I unplug it when I don't use it, so having no power at all doesn't hurt anything. This battery romoval thing has saved me quite a bit of money and kept this printer out of my trash can. I have a box of ink (3 of each color and 5 black cartridges) which is a lot of money to loose. I don't see any use for the battery other than to rip us off. Oh year, I also set my computer back a year.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Serge (6/2/05 10:31 AM) + / -
The business card trick is just toooooooooooo good. I don't know for you but all the printouts I get now that I am bypassing HP's control look a lot nicer :-)

Thank you all for the postings.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Fer (6/9/05 8:47 AM) + / -
OOOOhoho hoo... Still laughing... I finally managed to slip a piece of acetate (plastic) between the battery and the clip. Right after that I can print!! The robbers rob a bit less.

Thank you all for the info.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (6/9/05 7:44 PM) + / -
OK, so now that we have figured this out, how long has anyone been running their printer with NO battery power? Any noticable effects?
Also, I suppose the printer manufactureres have figured out that at least a few of us have figured out how to bypass their cash cow. Any guesses on their next strategy to rob us?

Rich

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by rookuk (6/9/05 11:08 PM) + / -
Now we have sorted out the cartridge problem and mine are still going strong since I posted above, there is a little matter of extending the life of the printer heads.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by donald (6/10/05 5:34 AM) + / -
If you have an expired cartiridge that will not print, after the battery buisness, try cleaning the printer head with distilled water and a lint free cloth, the ink can dry over timer and this should clear any obstructions.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by clicclic (6/12/05 7:52 AM) + / -
Set back the clock in Windows XP, reboot, and reboot the printer.

After dusting off my HP 2500C+ (built in 2000) I tried to print. "M Cartridge Expired. Replace", then "Y Cartridge Expired. Replace" Ugh!

With 1284 bidirectional printer cables the old printer is getting the current date from Windows XP. Set Windows XP's date back to 2001 (for this old geezer printer) and everything works fine.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/17/05 8:26 AM) + / -
This is a good solution. Is there a battery solution also?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/19/05 8:43 AM) + / -
pls help me with a printer Epson C43 SX or Epson C43 Series. I want to reset her chips but i don`t know how. Who can help me ?! 10q

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (6/19/05 9:40 AM) + / -
I don't know specifically about your Epson, but if the theory holds true across brands, all you have to do is find the battery. Typically it will be a button battery held in place by a spring clip. Get you printer in a well lit spot where you can look at it from every angle. Look through all the nooks a crannies. You might need a flashlight. I ended up tearing into mine to find it but found it wasn't necessary once i knew where it was. Once you have found it, remove it. Or slip a none conductive material between it and the conctacts. Try using it. If it works, leave it that way. If it doesn't put the battery back in and you should be good to go. So far I think the findings are that the only purpose for the battery is to feed money into the manufacturers pocket by making you think you have to buy new cartridges whether you need them or not.

Good luck!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by nightowl (6/26/05 8:42 PM) +1 + / -
Thanks everyone. I just put a thin piece of plastic behind the battery on my HP D145 and installed a refilled 2004 cartridge and it prints fine. I'm glad I saved all my old cartridges, I was hoping a solution to the HP rip-off would be found.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/29/05 10:17 AM) + / -
thank you for giving me the confidance to take apart my printer...i've removed the back, top and sides....now, could someone tell me what a battery for an hp2200 looks like or where it could be???thank you...texaskitty

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by ChristineM (6/30/05 7:50 AM) + / -
Hi there all---I am new to this forum and I am having an issue with HP ink cartridges. I use the HP56,57,58 carts for my photsmart 7760. I have read several posts regarding the internal chip and ways to "trick" the chip. These are things that I never even thought of until now!!!

My question is this: Does the expiration date stamped on the outside of the cartridge have any effect upon the ability to refill the cartridge???

I was under the impression that the expiration date was to indicate the 'age' of the ink!!! Like with a box of cereal, the cereal might go stale, but the cardboard box will be fine! Help, how does all this work???

Thank you, ChristineM

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by David Johnson (6/30/05 9:06 AM) + / -
The problem is that with 4 cartriges at about £25 each, and if like me refilling every few months the ink never has time to get old. But the cartidge container does, and with it the chip, so after a while the cartidge may be full of fresh ink and the printer thinks it is too old and stops. Bang goes another £25, until now.

P.S. My CP1700 is still working fine with old cartriges but the warning screen in the middle which tells of empty cartriges etc has lost a few parts of letters. I now have to guess at what it says.

PPS The other day just before printing a black and white bill, the cyan decided to run out. And we all know what the printer does. Not having a spare cyan or the time to fill I swopped the lower part of the cartridge with a spare black cartridge just for the duration of that session.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/30/05 9:26 PM) + / -
From the sounds of it I think they are all about the same. Look for a button battery about the size of a nickle but a little thicker. It should be held in place by just a little flat spring clip. But I am not absolutely sure since I dont have an Epson I can look at.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/30/05 9:29 PM) + / -
I am having the same warning screen problems. But I have been too lazy to find a fix. I suppode we need to go back to the search page and see if anyone else has found a fix.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (8/28/05 9:26 PM) + / -
Argh... I just ran into the same date problem even tho my printer still has plenty of ink left in it :( I certainly did not expect something like this from HP. It's a big eye opener and will definitely influence my next printer purchase decision.

In any case, has anyone found out where the battery is for the PSC 2110 all-in-one? I took off what screws I could without completely breaking or dismantling the whole thing and I didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (9/18/05 10:56 AM) + / -
The method given to remove the battery works perfectly! You don't even have to leave the battery in. Just take it out and everything works like a charm.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mweiss (9/18/05 7:52 PM) + / -
Does this trick of removing a battery work with the HP 7960?

I have had two black cartridges just suddenly stop working in the middle of a print job. The cartridges were fairly new in both cases and were over 60% full, as indicated in the device status screen that appears while printing.
Last night, I was printing some 4x6 photos and suddenly I was getting prints missing all black ink. I wasted two sheets of photo paper and ran all three levels of cleaning, only to run my color ink cartridge down to near empty and my photo cartridge to empty. Now I have to replace all three cartridges.
I replaced the black cartridge with a new one and now the printer is working again as it should. But the one I took out was nowhere near empty, with just 30 prints on it.
If the cartridges have a built in 'time bomb' of sorts, then the exp date should be clearly printed on the package, so buyers can avoid purchasing cartridges that are expired or about to expire.
The 7960 is otherwise a decent printer, but two black cartridges in a row went to waste because of early failures.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (9/18/05 9:08 PM) + / -
HP does print the expiration date on the packages.

And it's also printed on the cartridges.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mweiss (9/18/05 9:45 PM) + / -
Indeed, there is a date on my cartridges. The date on the one that stopped printing last night is 2005/08/26. The cart stopped outputting ink 3 weeks and a day after this date. My other cartridge failed in early July and it has a June 25 2005 date on it. I'll bet both carts are 60% or more full. And I had just replaced the June cartridge and got maybe 3 days's use (about 10 4x6 prints out of it before my prints came out with black missing.)

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by moe (9/18/05 11:42 PM) + / -
Did you read all the suggestions in this thread?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mweiss (9/19/05 5:07 PM) + / -
I read the entire thread, but the discussion doesn't mention my model of printer. However, I will try taking the printer apart to see if there is a battery somewhere inside.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (9/21/05 6:14 AM) + / -
Need info to over ride printer when it says ink empty when they are not! Also looking for top Fill ink cartridges for hp cp 1700 printer, i saw them once on ebay now i cant find them. Any help on these problems is appreciated!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by cfsimon (9/21/05 12:32 PM) + / -
does this apply to the HP 722c printer also ?
it uses 23 & 45 cartridges ?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/21/05 12:53 PM) + / -
I think that the internal clock in the printer is merely a timer clock and has nothing to do with the real time or date. The cartridge has a chip in it that resets the clock when installed and starts the timer for that cartridge. Niether the cartridge nor the timer care about the real time. If the cartridge chip were dated upon manufacture, there would be a good chance it would expire before it was ever sold.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/21/05 12:56 PM) + / -
I am not sure about specific printers, but I do know that it is becoming a common practice of not only HP, but most printer manufacturers.

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by moe (9/21/05 1:01 PM) + / -
OK, following along with your theory, what would happen if you turned the printer off every time after you used it? Then the cartridge would last for 100 years.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by moe (9/21/05 1:02 PM) + / -
No chips in those cartridges.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mstewart74137 (9/21/05 9:33 PM) + / -
I had this same problem with two 58 cartridges. Sure enough setting the computer date back one year and shazaam they both worked again. Change the date back to today and NO GO. Anyway, I found this searching. It is instructions for resetting 56 57 58 that I had not seen before and it seems they are all somewhat different. After resetting the 58's BOTH OF THEM according to these instructions they both started working again. Here are the instructions http://www.inktec-uk.co.uk/57_58_reset.htm.
Hope this helps.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mweiss (9/22/05 12:57 AM) + / -
What are the symptoms you are getting when a cartridge "expires" --ie., do you get an error? Or no error, but that particular color is missing in printouts? I am getting the latter with two recently purchased black and photo black carts, one with just 10 prints on it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/23/05 10:10 PM) + / -
Ah the beauty of the battery. Whether the printer is powered on or off, the timer gets its power from the battery thus it is always on. Pull the battery and you make the printer lose its memory. Moe, if you had read the thread you would know that your theory has already been discussed and IIRC it did not work. The battery reomoval has been 100% effective. As for the chip, if you call it a chip or whatever, there is something in the cartridge that triggers the timer when you install the new/different cartridge. Were that not the case, you could just pull it out, put it back in and be good to go. Try it out.

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/23/05 10:19 PM) + / -
OK, so it does appear that different printers do get their date from the computer. My CP 1700 did not. Out of curiousity, what model is yours and how old is it? Thanks for posting the link but I just got a "File Not Found" message.

Rich

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/23/05 10:24 PM) + / -
Mweiss, I don't think that this is your problem. As for my CP 1700, I got both a screen warning and the few dots left on my display spelled out the warning. DANG LCD screens! Sounds like your print heads need to be cleaned. Look back towards the first of the tread, I think someone made a suggestion as to how to clean them out of the printer. OH, BTW when I got the expired cartridge message I could no longer print at all.

Rich

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mweiss (9/23/05 11:34 PM) + / -
I thought the cartridge WAS the print head and when you change cartridges, you're effectively changing print heads too.

In this particular situation, the printer will act like all of the nozzles suddenly became clogged, but keep printing without warning.

Put in a new cartrige and everything is dandy again.

Curiously, both prematurely-dead black carts have expired shortly before they stopped printing (dates on cartridges, that is).

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (9/24/05 6:16 AM) + / -
Richlars,

Moe is the forum moderator, and I suspect he's read the whole thread.

I find nothing inaccurate in his comments, some of them refer to cartridges that are not chipped, but if you skim the thread you would not realize that. (back up from his last comment and you'll see he's referring to #45 & 23 cartridges)

Go ahead and read the thread thoroughly, because I'd say you are the one who didn't read it!

The newer HP cartridges have a cartridge ID, the printer keeps track of the last two cartridges installed in a socket, so even if you remove a cartridge, insert another, then remove it and put back the first the printer still remembers it. (now if you insert two other cartridges in between the printer forgets the first one)

Mweiss,

Some HP cartridges have the print head built in, examples of this are: 15, 17, 23, 29, 45, 49, 51, 56, 57, 58, and 78, (I'm sure I missed a few).

Other cartridges are ink only like the #10 and #11, printers that use those cartridges have a separate ink tank for each color, and a print head for each color, (there is a plastic tube between each tank and head).

Perform the Blot Test

Remove cartridge from machine, fold a paper towel back over a couple of times so it is about 4 layers thick, shake cartridge up and down hard, shake it over a sink unless you want to clean ink off the floor.

Now blot the nozzles of the cartridge on the paper towel, for a black cartridge you should see two black stripes, for a color cartridge you should see three colored stripes, if you don't have all stripes the cartridge is clogged or bad.

Have you checked the expiration date on the cartridges you are using?

Are you installing new HP cartridges, or refills?

You may be able to recover a clogged cartridge by swishing the tip in a saucer with a very small amount of warm water, then gently wiping it on a wet paper towel, be gentle the nozzles are delicate.

And do not trust the ink gauge on the PC, cartridges can dry up from the machine just sitting, the cartridges are vented, venting is necessary to let air in so that a vacuum won't develop in the cartridge.

Instructions on convincing a printer that you have installed a different #56, 57, or 58 can be found at:

http://customer.stratitec.com/support.php?products_id=811

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (9/24/05 9:02 AM) +1 + / -
OK, my sincere apolgies to Moe and all. Time for a humilty check here. Plus I should never come to a forum with a bad mood in the first place. I have to admit that I come with a strictly CP 1700 POV and don't know squat about the others. I have tried to keep up on the thread, but it has become somewhat old and been slow for a long time so you are correct. I have likely forgotten a great deal or missed some messages. I again apologize and thank Moe for his efforts in moderating this
forum. I deeply appreciate those who make forums like this available.
Rich

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by 2104Apowell (10/4/05 5:51 PM) + / -
Hi

Just got caught on my 2 new spare #14 color cartriges for the CP1160.

Anyone know where the battery is on this model.

Thanks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Joeh (10/6/05 5:20 PM) + / -
Hi

I've HP3420 printer which use Cartridge 27. I've tried to change the system date on the PC it does not work. I've also search for a battery inside the printer I haven't found any.

So please can someone help me how to reset the cartridge expiration date.

Thanks

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/17/05 7:49 PM) + / -
I have removed the batteries on 3 of the HP cp1160
printers in my office. The battery is located on the lower
left side of the printer. You will need to remove the top
of the printer to access the battery. Remove the two screws
on the top of the printer, then release tabs located on the
front and back, left and right sides. The front control panel
wires are held down by a tie strap that will need to be cut
before you take off the top. Lift the top up and tilt towards
the front of the printer. The control panel will still be
attached so lay the top towards the front of the printer.
You will see the battery on a small circuit board on the
left side of the printer. Using a long flat tip screwdriver,
work the battery out from under the clip until it falls
out. Remove battery and reassemble printer. The printer
will now accept expired and refilled cartridges.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by captflores (10/19/05 8:13 PM) + / -
So what do i do with all my inkjets?

25 HP inkjet 51645a
6 HP inkjet 51641a
12 HP inkjet c6578d

Unused.

Any suggestions?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/26/05 12:20 PM) + / -
Thought I had hit paydirt with swapping the bottoms of two black tanks. The printer started printing and I rejoiced, having beaten the HP S.O.B.'s. At about that point the printer stopped and it said the black ink was low. These things must have a counter as to how many pages it has printed. So now I have this FULL black cartridge I still cannot use :o(
I will never buy another HP product. Bye the way, this is a business inkjet 2200

Sounded like a great idea!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by scunnyrob (10/27/05 12:04 PM) + / -
Hi All, thanks for the info and the people that host this site. With regards the cp1700, I have removed the battery as the instructions above, and am just waiting the hour.

I found that I didnt have to undo the three torx screws on the plate to lower the mainboard and get the battery (grrr TORX screws!), I could just reach the battery and prise it out using a fairly long flat blade screwdriver. I mad access to do this by inclipping the main plastic housing from the base and lifting it up to make room. If you dont have torx drivers, and you have already worn three crosspoints out undoing the ones on the sliding sides, give this a try!!!

Please note as well, the side cover that you need to remove is on the RHS as you look from the *front*, i.r. The one with the power, USB and printer ports on it!!!! (DOH)

Grrrr....shouldnt there be a law against this type of manufacturing!!!!

Epson Stylus CX5400 by Elias Handal (10/27/05 2:30 PM) + / -
Error
Parts inside your printer are at the end of thier service life, see your printers documentaions.....

Please help....??

What shall I do...?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by izgood (10/29/05 3:09 AM) +1 + / -
thanks it works for my hpd145 !!!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tone76 (11/5/05 5:11 PM) + / -
Thanks to the poster of the HP cp1160 instructions, it gave me a big start, however I'd like to clear up and refine the instructions a little (might save other cp1160 owners a bit of time).

1) Open the front cover (the one with the hingest on the right) and detach the front LCD panel on the left of the printer(there are three tabs behind it) and remove the two black torx screws that are showing.

2) Remove the top (silver) cover and remove the two silver torx screws.

3) Gently unclip the tabs on each side of the printer top cover and remove the remainder of the top cover.

4) Remove the rear paper handler using the two side buttons, then slide out of place.

5) Undo the tabs that hold the sides of the printer together. These are located at the bottom of the side panel. You can get away with undoing the front left tab, the left side tab and both rear tabs (rear tabs are located on either side of the paper handler removed in step 4). The left side of the printer should be exposed and you should be able to see a circuit board.

6) On the front of the circuit board, near the front left hand side of the printer is a BR2032 button cell battery. It looks like a small silver coin. Hint: use a torch, flashlight to find it. Remove this battery gently with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

7) Reassemble the printer (a reverse of the above procedure) and allow to sit for an hour for its memory to clear, then try again.

This should take around 10-15 minutes, and is well worth it. Now you should be able to use expired/refilled cartridges.

It's a pity that HP have to be so difficult about this, the cp1160 is an excellent printer, however because of stupid planned obsolecence like this, I will never recommend HP products to anyone again. :(

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tone76 (11/5/05 5:42 PM) + / -
Oh, if you want to hurry up the reset procedure on your hp cp1160 try this:

- Press and hold down the power button.

- While holding the Power button:

Press the Cancel button 12 times

Press the Resume button 3 times

- Release the Power button

The ink gauge is now off and you can resume printing

taken from http://www.misterinkjet.com/hp14colorreset.htm

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/14/05 7:21 PM) + / -
Set your computer clock back a year or more, then turn the printer off and back on. You should be able to print then.

If you are using XP Windows, reload the drivers from XP. Do
not use the drivers from the HP Company (those on CD or downloaded from HP) use the XP drivers, specify HP priners then find your printer in the list.

The HP drivers sends the computer date to the printer while the drivers that come with XP do not send the date.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/20/05 6:17 PM) + / -
I am ever grateful for forums like this. Having been seriously upset by the 'cartridge out of date' ploy my HP1700 suddenly threw at me I have now 'dealt' with the battery and am once again happy.

I like HP1700, and will continue to use it now I don't have to axe it in a fit of pique.

Cheers

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/4/05 2:29 PM) + / -
I'll also toss in my gratitude for this forum. Like others I was ready to throw my CP1700 into the nearest river. Now the battery is gone completely and everything works fine.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (12/4/05 3:37 PM) + / -
I hope this isn't too far off the subject, but what kind of success have you folks been having getting ink cartriges refilled? I tried doing my own once and it was terrible and I feel it cost me the printer. But I have been wondering about the places that are set up to do it.

Thanks, Rich

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by putertutor13 (12/6/05 8:02 AM) + / -
Is there a battery in either an HP920c or HP930? If so, how do I get at it? I can't see any easy ways to get the covers off. I have tried looking for a manual but cannot find a tech manual. Thanks in advance.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by rookuk (12/6/05 9:47 AM) + / -
I've been filling mine for about 7 years, initially with jrinkjet from places like Dixons, but about 4 years ago bought the ink in bulk from cartex.co.uk and just placed an order for some more. Upto July I had to replace the cartridges because of the date problem (see my previous post ) and that has now been solved. The only little niggle is on some of my older cartidges which I think must have been empty instead of low or have an airbubble in them, are rejected by the printer. I don't know what the error message is as the little screen has gone iffy. I might repace that one of these days.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (12/6/05 3:52 PM) + / -
Thanks rookuk. I think my biggest problem was with the orifice. They gave a little sticker that you palced over the orifice that the printer should puncture as you install it. Rather than mine puncturing it pushed it up into the orifice and then would not flow the ink. I tried every which way to fix it with no success. This was on an older Epson that I owned.

Rich

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by putertutor13 (12/7/05 6:12 AM) + / -
After tearing into my printer (HP 920c) to try to find the battery (which I couldn't find), I e-mailed HP support about this. The response was that this printer does not have a battery or check expiration dates. I dug out all of my old used (yes - I am a packrat) empty cartridges and check the dates. The one I was having the problem with had a date of 2003. I put in an empty one with a date of 2001 and the error light went away. It looks like the HP tech was right about the expiration date and my printer. It looks like I do have a bad cartridge. This leads to the obvious question of which models do check the expiration date. Does anyone have the resources to check this out and post it? It might help future viewers and same frustration trying to find a battery that doesn't exist.

BTW, this is a great forum and I will come back when I have printer problems in the future.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Merlin_the_Great (12/10/05 1:04 PM) + / -
I have a HP Business inkjet 2250tn in which I have 1 black cartridge that I replaced just some time ago. No problem with the black, but the color cartridges have all expired for some time now.
I used to set back the date in my computer to avoid the message of expiration. But every once in a while I forgot to set the date back to today. So you can imagine what happened if I needed a document I created or changed on some specific date...

Then I tried something else. The printer can work in two modes, PCL and PS (postscript). I tried using the postscript mode with the date of today. What do you guess? No expiration message! At least not yet... ;)

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by T_Ulery (12/10/05 5:51 PM) + / -
I have a HP psc 2110. How do I bypass a cartridge expiration date

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by jersey (12/19/05 8:07 AM) + / -
Interesting....

I have a cheap all-in-one model HP1210. It uses the color 57 and black 56 cartridges. Printer is maybe a year old.... I have never connected it to a computer ...so there is certainly no date check there. I have just used it as a copier. Today I tried to make a copy, and got an error. I pulled both carts ...and the color one has a date of about 10 days ago. I have disassembled my printer to the point that there is maybe 50% chance I can reassemble it but have found no battery. If there is no battery, and it's never been connected to a computer ...how does the printer know the date?

There is an MROM chip on the board - thought maybe it was non-volatile ...but no voltage on any of the pins. None on anything I checked. Perhaps a truly bad cart? Do any of the carts have batteries in them for expiration date retention? Anyone have any luck resetting or fooling this model?

I did check the link in this thread referring to these model carts in reference to changing ink levels. A computer was needed - and I'm not even sure if it fixes the expiration problem....

Any help would be appreciated! Thx....

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by mos (12/26/05 3:03 AM) + / -
any idea regarding HP d145? how to do the bypass in this printer? tnks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by rng_66 (edited 12/26/05 5:40 AM) + / -
can you make a hp officejet k60 run without a color cartridge

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/26/05 11:57 AM) + / -
I am showing my ingnorance, but how does one change the mode? My 2200 was working fine yesterday. I connected it to a new computer and loaded the driver from the 2200 CD (a mistake per another post). Today it displays the "cyan ink cartridge expired" message. I installed a new cyan cartridge, but the message remains. What a frustrating exercise. Thanks for any advice. BTW, is there a battery in the 220 and, if so, where is it?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by ejbabe (edited 12/26/05 8:45 PM) + / -
Does anyone know if the hp 1350 all-in-one has a battery also? Tried resetting XP date, but cartridges still don't work.

thx!

ell

(EDIT: okeee...something very special just happened: there was a little "door" under the printer held with just one screw...of course, I opened it...just some plastic "arm-lookin'" thang. Well, must have had to do with the alignment, 'cause the cartridges are now going all the way to the right, and BANGING against the side...bang! bang! bang! (times 10). maybe I should just throw this plastic piece o' sh*t out????)

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (1/4/06 1:11 PM) + / -
I've just opened my CP1700 up and replaced the LCD screen, then closed it up, screwing everything back as it was before...only to find that my cartridges have expired.
I've looked for the battery, but am reluctant to start with the unscrewing things again...okay, I'm being lazy...
I thought you might be able to tell me precisely where to look to see the battery and slip in the acetate to disconnect the battery...for some reason I'm not able to locate it by the other descriptions in this thread.

I do appreciate the help...and the time/work you'll be saving me.

Thanks.
jmcs

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by rookuk (1/4/06 11:16 PM) + / -
Lift up the top cover and look inside to your far left, if standing in the front of the machine. You will need a small torch to locate it, but when you do, any work will have to be done by feel. I found the spring very strong (see post above)so the simplest thing to do is to slip a bit of an old credit card between the spring and the battery.

I know I am digressing here, but tell about the LCD screen. Is it worth replacing, difficulty, cost and parts availability.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (1/5/06 5:40 AM) + / -
I think rookuk has it spot on. I took mine apart to find the battery but found out later you could get to it from the top. I hope you can find it and take car of it. I also second his curiosity about the LCD screen.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (1/5/06 10:13 AM) + / -
Thanks for your help!
I've been able to deal with the battery, only now everything prints in cyan only...I think I need to clean the print heads now. Suggestions?

The LCD screen:
Mine got to the point that I could no longer read what it said...I found the part for $40...you may be able to get it cheaper too. Here's what I did...I've posted it yesterday on another thread too. This was the first time I'd tried to replace printer part other than the standard comsumables, etc.
Its worth replacing and really isn't hard to do, only 20 minutes or less. You just need to take care when opening the printer/removing the cover, etc...so that things don't break...and make sure to unplug it all before you start. Here's what I posted on the other thread.

----
Unplug everything from the printer...everything. You'll need a special screw driver that fits the two small sizes of screw heads...I think I've seen others call the torx screws. the ones holding the LCD in place require a smaller screw driver than the ones holding the cover in place.

There are two plastic panels that appear to cover the LCD area. In theory you ought to be able to take off the small dark gray and light gray panels without taking off the whole cover, but I found that too difficult...I simply could access the tabs(* see the next asterisk in the text below) enough to depress them, SO:
Remove the back of the unit by depressing the two buttons on the manual feed component (or duplexer if you have it) and set this aside.
Remove the paper tray from the front.
You'll need to take out the visible screws in the gray overcover...two silver in back, three brass visible on top with the lids open.
Then undo the tabs holding the cover onto the body of the printer...push on them so that they don't catch the edge anymore. (I used paperclips to hold some of them "open" as i was opening others and easing off the cover.)
Then it takes a little wiggling, tugging, gentle persuasion to lift the cover off the body somewhat...
you don't need to lift it much, but it will take some gentle "doing" to persuade it to move.
In fact, it will come off more easily on the right side and still seem somewhat stuck on the left. (I couldn't see what was holding it in place so I didn't force it any further and it wasn't really necessary to.)
Once its off enough that you can see through the area where the paper outputs on the front and see into the machine and up into the cover, you'll note there are three tabs(*) that hold the darker gray cover surrounding the LCD onto the lighter gray cover. Depress theses tabs, take off the darker gray cover, then unscrew the two silver screws holding the lighter gray panel over the LCD.
Unscrew the four silver screws holding the LCD board in place.
Then you'll need to unplug the wires on the left side of the LCD board.
Lift it slightly and gentle depress the four tabs holding the clear plastic cover and buttons over the LCD. Remove the clear plastic cover, then unplug the power cord on the right side of the LCD.
Remove the LCD board, replace it with the new part...
then do these instructions in reverse.

Just remember that almost everything you're working with is plastic...and breakable, so use enough force, but let it be gentle and persuasive, not sharp or heavy.
I hope this helps!
Best.
jmcs

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (1/5/06 10:13 AM) + / -
I have a hp deskjet 930c printer but whenever I print the colors are not true at all. The the blues are pink and the greens yellow and the red is darker
I check the estimated level and the Tri-color Catridge is 90% and the black print catridge is 60%.
Why is my printer behaving like this.
I also did "Clean the Print Cartridges" and "Calibrate the Device"

I would appreciate if someone tell me the solution soon.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (1/11/06 12:55 AM) + / -
does this work with a HP 7110 Multifunction? I just got this error for the color cartridge today. Very annoying as the cartridge has neever been used as I only print in black & white.

thanks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by D (1/18/06 6:43 AM) + / -
I have a HP Deskjet 812c. I installed expired HP 23 cartridge and it only prints out one color (PINK). Any idea why?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Jack_C (1/18/06 4:09 PM) + / -
Hi,
Does any1 knoew how to bypass expiration dates for PSC2410? tried the methods explained at http://www.inktec-uk.co.uk/57_58_reset.htm - they don't seem to work for this model, I have tried to set the computer's clock back it doesn't work either...
HELP...PLEASE....

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (1/29/06 10:16 AM) + / -
Removing the battery on the HP1700, although not a day at the beach, did the trick and my cartridges are no longer expired.

Thanks to all!

Pete

Re: How to bypass a cartridge exp. date HP7110 by Anonymous (2/8/06 3:24 PM) + / -
the battery trick worked like a charm on my HP7110 Muilti-Function All-in-one. I left the battery out and printer works fine.

the printer gets the time from the computer. It still says color ink low but no longer expired. I have to press enter to contine but at least I can use the printer again to make copies.

OP thanks for the post.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tpm419 (2/10/06 4:26 AM) + / -
Would anyone know if a Lexmark printer has a battery? I can't tell you the model # other to say it is 6 years old or so and takes # 70 black ink. It is my fathers printer and I'm 150 miles away at the moment. Thanks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tpm419 (2/11/06 7:19 AM) + / -
Oops it is a Compac A 1000 not a Lexmark Sorry!

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by bandung (edited 2/11/06 7:35 AM) + / -
Thanks! Great help for replacing cp1700's LDC panel!

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (2/11/06 9:28 PM) + / -
My guess is that 6 years ago was before they started using a battery powered bios to keep track of the date, but that is just a guess. You didn't mention the problem you were having. Is it telling you that cartridge is expired?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tpm419 (2/12/06 5:28 AM) + / -
Hello Yes, the cartridge is expired according to the software notification but it just stopped printing. The printing wasn't getting "lighter" it just went from OK to nothing I thank you for the reply. Ps i'm in Long Island digging out from the snow so it may be awhile if I need to get back to you

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by richlars (2/12/06 4:13 PM) + / -
This does sound like the same issue we all have had. The question then is, does the printer get its date from your computer or from a chip within the computer. Soem have had success in resetting their computer clock back a few years. I think that is probably the easiest to try. If that doesn't work start looking for a battery within the printer. Start by looking in all the nooks and crannies. You should be able to tell where the electronics board is and may need to remove some casing to find the battery which is usually on that board. You are looking usually for a button battery held in place by a spring clip. Try those two things and see if that helps.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tpm419 (2/12/06 5:05 PM) + / -
OK will do. I'll be visiting my Father next friday (his printer)and will start by turning the computer clock back. Thanks for the input. Ps. got 20" snow here in NY today

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by 051ch (2/13/06 1:34 PM) +1 + / -
I took out the battery, waited 2 hours, put it back in and now the stupid machine says to replace all 4 printheads. I went through the drill to clean them, install them one at a time and get no error until all 4 are back in and then it says to replace all 4 printheads. What gives and can anything be done otrher than buying a Canon? This stupid machine! Never again.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stingray (2/15/06 4:36 PM) + / -
This is a great forum, thanks to everyone who posted tips. I want to share my story for those who may have an HP Business InkJet 1200. I was getting the expired warning on the yellow cart and this is how I fixed it. I turned the printer off and then set the XP machine's date back to 2004, turned the printer back on and printed a test page. Worked like a charm. I then set the PC date back to 2006 and tried another test page. Still worked like a charm, the printer still thinks it's 2004. Since this XP machine is a print server on the network it's no big deal to leave the date back if I have to, but so far I have printed several things from different machines on the network and no worries. I suppose it will keep going until the power is reset or it asks the PC for the date again. Again, thanks for all the info and keep up the good work.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Hey Mikey (2/15/06 5:43 PM) + / -
anyone know if the HP deskjet 970 C series has a battery and if so where is it???

same story .. old (new) cartriges that dont work..

Thanks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by vthokie88 (2/20/06 6:26 AM) + / -
Thank you for this forum. I was having trouble with my HP Deskjet 2200. Brand new, but expired print cartridge, and I needed to print this morning. I changed the computer date, turned the printer off and on again, and voila! It worked! Thanks for saving me a trip to buy an overpriced cartridge early in the morning! What a great service this is!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Rogercr (3/10/06 10:45 AM) + / -
There have been two requests from different people for help regarding the HP 2110 psc printer but no responses. This is disappointing as I too have this machine and am unable to use. Where is the battery located if that's what's needed? - many thanks..

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Rogercr (3/10/06 10:48 AM) + / -
There have been two requests from different people for help regarding the HP 2110 psc printer but no responses. This is disappointing as I too have this machine and am unable to use. Where is the battery located if that's what's needed? - many thanks..

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by smapple617 (3/22/06 12:52 PM) +1 + / -
Can someone tell me the battery size, voltage, and number etc. for a HP7130 AIO printer. Thanks.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (3/23/06 3:15 PM) + / -
you can order 750 and 250 ml top load blanks from weink.com i use them with my cp 1700 and they are absoutly faboulus.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Stephen (3/24/06 5:11 PM) + / -
Hey Mikey;

The HP #15, #45, & #78 cartridges do not have an electronic expiration date.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by kwng (3/25/06 3:12 PM) + / -
Hi. Anyone knows whether lexmark z23 has any expiry problem and if so, how to fix it?

Re: Deskjet 155 Ink Supply Expired error by Lee_M (3/28/06 5:36 PM) +1 + / -
Battery was on the left side (inside) as with the others, and the spring clip was stiff - wish I had read all the posts before removing, the credit card or paper trick would have been perfect! I removed it by feel, without dissasembly - but it was a bit tough. It was only out for about 5 minutes (I'm impatient) worked great. Set the "fax" clock back to present day - still prints fine. THANK YOU for an easy solution to such an ANNOYING problem! Now who has a link to the "I HATE HP" forum?

Lee

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by kamen (4/9/06 2:35 AM) +3 + / -
Hi there. I have the same "cartridge expirtion date" problem with a HP business inkjet 1100. I dismantled it partially but could not see a battery at an easy-to-reach place. Does anyone know if there is a battery in this printer at all? If there is not one, has anyone found a solution beside resetting the computer date? Thanks.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (4/30/06 3:17 PM) + / -
Ditto .... Thanks a load.. Slipped the plastic into the battery holder (broke the circuit),, reset the date on the HP d145, and am able to keep going with a 66% full color cart (HP14) that had expired a month ago..Kudo's to the guys that figured this out.....

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (5/2/06 9:01 AM) + / -
Perhaps a little late, but refill cartridges for the Cp1700 (and others) can be found at www.inksupply.com/hprfkits.cfm. They also offer a line of continuous refill catridges and accessories.

I have not personally used any of their products yet but they seem legit.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by sterickson (5/7/06 10:24 PM) + / -
Does anyone know if the HP 6110 has a battery, and if so, how I get to it and remove it?

Re: How to extend fuser life on HP 4500Dn by megacom (5/8/06 4:42 AM) + / -
The Fuser unit on my HP 45000DN is showing "replace fuser" message but the prints are still ver good. Is there a way I can extend its life? I live in Africa and these gizmos cost a bundle- more than double the listed price

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Lars (5/9/06 10:23 AM) + / -
Great ! Great ! Great !

CP 1700 works !

I used a cut plastic card, put my printer on one side and
inserted the card between battery and clip.

Thanks to all :))))))

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date/how? by KimT (5/10/06 9:54 AM) + / -
first... error flashed Black Ink Empty ... Now... Black and Magenta inc cartridge missing... believe me.. they are not.
I have tried everything short of pulling this thing apart. I would do that if I could find a place that would tell me step by step how to take the top off. I don't know where the battery is to try and remove it or place plastic under it... others have done this but I looked and cannot find how or what to do to achieve this spender. I try to clean the heads but since the error is flashing Black and Magenta cartridges are missing when they are not - Nothing Happens, no cleaning. Black ink was just replaced last week. ARGH... HELP please... please... I am on knees here.
Kim

Fixing HP CP1700 expired print cartridges by Anonymous (5/16/06 9:38 AM) + / -
I decided to permanently remove the battery from my old HP CP1700. The ink cartridge expiry messages had finally 'got to me' and I decided to resolve this one way of the other. The other was to dump the printer and tempting as that was I still have quite a lot of expensive large paper specifically for this printer.

After reading various 'difficult to find' posts, I opened the transparent printer lid and when looking inside to the left you can see a metal panel with holes in it. Just above this you can just see a battery which is retained by a clip.

Put a piece of sticky tape onto the battery and the circuit board, (but not covering the clip). This will save the battery dropping inside the printer mechanism when you take the next set.

Take a pair of wire cutters or very strong longnose pliers and break off the clip from the circuit board. This is quiet awkward and care must be taken not to damage other parts of the printer. Once this has been completed, carefully peel off the sticky tape from the circuit board, hopefully bringing the battery with it.

With small hands and care there is no need to dismantle the printer or even to remove any of the screws.

The printer instantly worked again, no more 'expired cartridge messages' and the ink levels were correctly retained.

Up yours HP.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by draxe (5/16/06 8:40 PM) + / -
can anyone help me on this topic for HP Business Inkjet 2600. how to overwrite/bypass the expiry date? i've tried to change the date in my windows but it didnt work. i cant find where they put the battery in the printer. thank you so much.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/6/06 4:12 PM) + / -
Can anyone help me how to bypass a cartridge expiration date fo printer HP 2280tn!!!PLEASE!!!

How to get to the HP CP1160 battery... by Anonymous (6/8/06 9:47 PM) + / -
I have three HP CP1160's in a home network.

I've been fighting expired HP cartridges for years that still have ink to give. HP's cartridge expiration is based on time, not ink used. I've kept the cartridges full and they still expired. I've also had HP color cartridges run dry while still indicating almost a third full. Refilling them allows them to continue to be used.

I tried to follow your instructions to open the top of the case but ran into some differences. I Found two screws in the top back, one on the right front and one release tab inside on each side. That freed everything on top except the top left front corner(in front). I ran into a pin that seems to lock the top left front of the top piece to the top left front of the case. I don't see any way to disengage the pin. Do you know any trick to get these two pieces apart without breaking something?

Thanks in advance,
Bud
Oscar-3@comcast.net

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/12/06 2:05 AM) + / -
We have the same problem did you manage to fix? Thanks

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/12/06 2:09 AM) + / -
We have the same problem did you manage to fix? Thanks

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by UpsideARTcom (6/16/06 3:41 PM) +1 + / -
I have an older printer, a 612 c. It uses 49 and 20 HP cartridges.

Do these models have a chip that expires the cartridges?

Is it safe to buy remanufactured ink cartridges- how can they function withut the HP microchips- they must somehow though. A lot of people use them.

Thank YOu so much! This forum has awesome info- it helped me unclog my canon printhead awhile back. Boy that was fun!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (6/19/06 2:25 AM) + / -
you guys are great!!!!!

i own a hp cp1700 printer and it said that some cartridges were expired.
after reading this threads i decided to remove the battery and voilat the printer now works perfectly!!!

the battery is placed on the left part of the printer (the one with the power supply)

you only need to unscrew the two torx and then opening the top panel you can reach out the battery and remove it!!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by querdenker (6/19/06 11:34 AM) + / -
greetings from a german cp1700-user. Yes, a great solution for me (and my cp1700), too.

Isn't it great, the Internet and such a forum?

What would we have done without the ideas and help of others? It saved me more than 300 Euro in cartridges!

Without the Internet I had to ask the printer-dealer. You know the answers? "I have never heard about such a problem". "You are the only one with this problem". etc etc etc.

I love the Internet!

greatings again from Mike at Cologne

FOUD the Missing Cartridges Problem !!! by wagnerlip (edited 6/20/06 11:01 PM) + / -
Hi, sometimes a cartridge leak ink after installation, for the sake of the message lets say the cartridge was not refilled and of course the refilling hole was not bad sealed. :)

Ok, when the ink leaks out of the cartridge, it pours down and over the ink pump. The ink pump is a set of plastic shaft with four cams that for its turn when rotated by a small motor with a full revolution, it pushes the four white fingers into the rubber bubble of the cartridge.

In a full revolution all 4 cartridges receive one whole single pumping of ink that should flow through the 4 flexible pipes ribbom to the printing heads.

When the leaking ink pours or drops over the cammed shaft, it probably will end hiting a white absorbend at the bottom of the machine and will stay there. There is a protective plastic between the abrosbend and the machine base, but I found ink under the plastic, go figure how nice protection the plastic serves.

Well, the cammed shaft when rotating pulls the white fingers into the cartridges rubber bubbles, and at the same time, it moves a small piece of plastic at the bottom of all, and a opto-sensor is interrupted. There are 4 of this sensors, one for each of the ink cartridges. In real, the piece of plastic almost interrupts the opto-sensor.

Those sensors makes no sense to be there, except when the ink cartridge goes completely empty and there is no more resistance to the cammed shaft and white finger, so the finger goes easily into the booble rubber of the ink cartridge. In this case (empty cartridge), the piece of plastic goes also deeper into the sensor and then, then machine knows the cartridge is completely empty, no more ink even inside the rubber booble. If it is the case, the machine stops and say "replace cartridge".

This empty-cartridge sensing also may be done by sensing a longer time of opto interruption, different from when there is ink into the cartridge, the white finger goes less into the rubber bubble so the interruption at the sensor is faster.

Well, all those 4 opto-sensors are located in a tinny circuit board right below the cammed shaft. There are 3 small connectors on this board, no electronics whatsoever, just the 4 opto-sensors (slotted), 3 resistors and one capacitor.

My machine leaked ink (yellow) and after that it said all the 4 cartridges were missing, no way to make it works.

I disassembled everything and found ink leak over this small board, mostly over the left side (under the black cartridge).

I disassembled everythins and washed in water at the sink, extra care to not make the shaft motor wet, you may protect it with a plastic or just take extra care.

The small circuit board had ink deposited under the contacts of the connector on the left side, the only connector that comes with red wires (4 wires) from the connectors under the cartridges. The 4 cartridges have chips on the bottom, each chip has 4 contacts. The chips use serial communication, 1 wire for data, 1 for clock, ground and +5V. The +5V was missing at the cartridges connector, and missing at the 4 pins white connector at this little board.

I took it home and measured all the connections, found an oxidized small island at the 5V connections distributions. One sensor and the 4 pins connector (that feeds 5V to the cartridges chips) were not receiving 5V.

Without power, the chips will never answer to the questioning from the machine at power-up. They are all in paralel, but each chip has a specific address on the 2 wire communication scheme. Probably the machine asks each cartridge individually and it knows which is missing or not. Without power, no chip will answer, and the machine thinks the 4 cartridges are missing.

The oxidation was caused by the ink that was there for days. The small island that connects the 5V from one side to another of the circuit board got corroded and open the circuit.

A small wire soldered in place solved the problem, and the CP1700, one of the best printers I ever had in several years, came back to life.

Used the opportunity to clean up the machine in general, and found some kind of black gum like gell into where heads pump ink when cleaning itself at the right side of the machine. It appeared to be like a one inch by 3/4 by 1/2 of something smooth like gel, in truth it was pure dry ink. Tons of liquid ink were poured there during cleanups and ended up like that. By my fast calculations, I guess it needed something like 50 cartridges ink to slowly evaporate and let that kind of gel residue. I mean, HP people, make the sum, more than 50 cartridges at $35 each, to the trash? just to clean the heads? That machine received no more than 70 or 80 cartridges in its life, it means that more than 50% is poured to trash? hmmm.

One tip: When cleaning the contacts of the cartridges and at the machine where the cartridges make contact, use a cotton swab embeded in acetona, not alcohol. Alcohol has water and it don't dry enough, it will still there and will promote corrosion. Acetona dry very fast and clean the contacts for any dirt or contamination. Be careful to not overdue with acetona, just a little bit at the swab. Clean cartidges contacts at every replacement.

I have some pictures of the board, position of the open circuit track and another with the bridge I soldered to fix the board.

You may see them at:

http://www.ustr.net/cp1700/prob1.jpg
http://www.ustr.net/cp1700/prob2.jpg
http://www.ustr.net/cp1700/prob3.jpg

Good luck.

Wagner

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Andy99 (6/21/06 12:19 AM) + / -
Does anyone know where the hell is the battery for the HP Business Inkjet 2230 is. I've open up the back of the printer where the circuits are but still can't seem to find the battery.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (7/6/06 7:23 AM) + / -
Andy99 - I'm having the same issue on my 2230. i've taken the front off and dug around to try and find the battery with negative results. Have you tried to reset the clock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hosmer

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (7/9/06 2:58 PM) + / -
nightowl - or anyone. Please explain where and how to remove the battery in the hp d145, and have you had any problems from removing the battery. Also mine is saying I have a bad yellow printhead. How to remove and clean the printhead? - What causes the printheads to go bad?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by wenj (7/13/06 6:39 PM) + / -
Removed the battery on my HP d135 and no more expired cartridge messages! You guys rock! I will tell all my friends about this site!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date 2230 by Anonymous (7/20/06 8:20 AM) -1 + / -
For all who have tried the suggestions on this forum and have failed.
I have a Business Inkjet from HP model 2280 (should be same with the 2230). Message came up - cartridge expired. Sure enough - was more than 4 years after the date on the cartridge.
BUT - there is no battery I could see on the unit (HP BIJ 2280).

What solved the problem? Change the printer driver!!!
Instead of using the driver downloaded from HP.com or from the manufacturer's CD - I used the Microsoft XP built-in driver for HP Business InkJet 2200/2250 (HPA) (slightly different model as you see - same functionality though...)

Worked like a charm! No more messages, that the cartridges have expired, when trying to print from a computer.
Make sure to delete the original HP driver first, before installing the one from MS - for the HP BIJ 2200/2250. Ignore any MS OS warnings, that this driver may not work.

So - I'd suspect such to be the case with some other HP or Epson or Lexmark or whatever manufacturer printers. Try an alternative print driver (preferably one built into the OS) from the same manufacturer. Hopefully - it will not have the "cartridge tracking" feature built in.

Enjoy

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge exp. date HP7110 by Anonymous (7/21/06 12:34 PM) +1 + / -
I cannot find a battery in the HP7110 nor is there any mention of it in the owners manual. Can you tell me where it is?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tone (7/23/06 6:41 PM) + / -
I have HP 1100d printer and all my four cartridges expired!!
I tried the back-dating the comp. clock and it works. But I want to reset the battery-memory so that I don't have to do this everytime I try to print. Does anybody know where the battery is located on 1100d model?
PLEASE HELP

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by jbclem (7/26/06 5:49 PM) + / -
I have a HP cp1160 printer and I've taken it partially apart looking for a battery to disconnect. No sign of a battery, at least on the left side where the boards are, and I'm wondering if it might be built into the cartridge or cartridge carrier. There are 4 metal contacts for each cartridge and does anyone know if I can block off some of these as a way of bypassing the electronic expiration?

jc

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by jbclem (7/26/06 7:08 PM) +1 + / -
I finally found the battery in my cp1160! Here are some clarifications for those who might have difficulty finding the battery.
Once you have the plastic sides/back/front piece off (it's one piece with 4 plastic clips to unclip), on the left side (your left as you face the front of the printer) there are two circuit boards. The larger one extends from the back of the printer about 2/3rds of the way to the front of the printer, right next to and parallel to the left side wall(which was removed). The battery is on the front side (inside) of this circuit board but it is almost invisible. I was lucky to spot the battery clip on my 5th try with a bright flashlight. It's almost to the bottom of the printer, on the front side of the circuit board. Look for the motor which is near the front left bottom of the printer, it's a grey/silver cylinder about 2 1/2" long and about 2" from the motor, and a little higher, is a white plastic gear wheel. This wheel is parallel to and very close to the circuit board. You'll see the battery by looking down from the top and inbetween the wheel and the circuit board. I used a long thin knife and a long this screwdriver to get the battery to fall down to the bottom floor then skootched it over to an open space to it's right. I have no idea how I could get it back in place if I had to, probably by dangling it from a piece of tape and holding the clip open with a screwdriver.

Hope this helps someone...jc

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by schmonkey (7/30/06 6:26 AM) + / -
Thanks to whoever found out that a piece of credit card wedged between the battery clip and the battery in my CP 1700 printer disables the cartridge expiration date. I own four of these CP 1700 printers and re-ink them to save money. The only pain was the expiration date on the cartridge - which now has been taken care of forever! I just had to add my accolades to the list that I'm pleased someone found out the solution and this forum was started to share information. I've just saved a lot of money on cartridge replacements for four CP 1700 printers. Gracias!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by pat555 (8/3/06 12:47 AM) + / -
Ok pulled appart my hp officejet 6110.
Located the motherboard, removed it.
Located the battery at position C801 on the board.

Now it seems on the 6110 the battery terminals have been stamped on. You actually have to pry the terminals off. I removed only the negative terminal from the battery thus leaving it on the board though disconnected. Refited the board and put printer back together.

For me still no go. Still see the Right cartridge incorrect error.

I think my HP has actually killed this cartridge.

I don't think I would need to remove the battery from the motherboard? Its still attached via its postive terminal?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers Pat from Melbourne, Australia

EXPIRATION DATE by PGAMEZ (8/6/06 3:23 PM) + / -
WHERE DO I FIND THE EXPIRATION DATE ON LEXMARK INK CARTRIDGES

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (8/6/06 3:35 PM) + / -
ON THE BOX. WHATS WITH THE CAPS??? IT RUDE!!!!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by HP_new_user (8/7/06 3:42 AM) + / -
hi
i'm using HP Deskjet 3550, i'm just wondering where i could find its battery?

thanks in advance.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by tepolgar (8/8/06 2:42 PM) + / -
I tried the battery thing with my HP cp1700 printer only to receive the error message when re-assembled: "ATTENTION: Replace Black, yellow and cyan print heads." What went wrong? Only difference was that I replace the battery with a new one. A CR 2032 lithium, while the original was a BR-2032. CR battery is listed to replace the BR.
Any suggestions.
Tom

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by russell_m (8/8/06 3:00 PM) + / -
It seems to me that I successfully joined this forum on Aug 4 whit an update to Anonymous's info dated (7/20/06 8:20 AM).

Please advise me asto whether I have successfully enjoined this forum, and whether my update was suitable to be included.

Russell_M

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by russell_m (8/8/06 3:14 PM) + / -
Apparently your forum has dropped my previous post.

What I had stated, was that the HP BIJ 2280 does not have a battery. My experience in this area involves a network of an APPLE and three PC's connected to my hp 2280 thru a print server.

All three PC's will not print, and cause the 2280 to go into the error mode of "expired cartridge": however the APPLE will print with no problem.

This has caused me to send all PC print jobs to the APPLE to be printed from there.

It seems to me then, that the error is comming from the PC. Anonymous (7/20/06 8:20 AM) reply of using the 2250 driver from MS is a great fix, and avoids tearing the printer apart looking for the elusive battery.

thanks russell_m

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (8/8/06 6:48 PM) + / -
Read through other posts concernint subject and tried the removal of the battery from my cp 1700 printer. Fixt the problem I had as reporting bad black printhead. Printer now works without reporting problems of deffective cartridges.
Thanks.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by CP1700 user (8/13/06 5:34 AM) + / -
Thank you for this site.
With my CP1700 I cut a piece of an old creditcard en
left it under the battery clip.
The operation took just 5 minutes.
And now its printing again with my old cartridges.
Great!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Velojet (8/24/06 2:05 PM) + / -
A couple of questions (I've gone right through all postings and can't see answers):

1) How do you get at the battery on a HP PSC 1210?

2) What does 'expiry' mean in terms of actual ink quality? Is there any noticeable degradation 1 year after expiry? 5 Years after expiry?

Thanks!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (8/30/06 6:54 PM) + / -
HP Officejet d125xi, how do I trick the computer. I am running xp pro and resetting the date and rebooting did not work!!!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (8/30/06 8:03 PM) + / -
http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php
If you have an hp officejet d125xi check out this site. it has pictures of the battery placement.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by melissadawn (8/31/06 11:50 AM) + / -
We have not just one... but two HP cp1700 printers, and we've read through these posts. We're trying to disable or remove the internal battery so that we can use "expired" cartridges. We tried to find the battery by opening the back of one of the printers... and we also tried to find it by opening the transparent cover.

Our problem is that we do not see the battery or clip anywhere. Everyone is talking about the battery and spring clip, but we don't see anything like this. Could someone please describe the location in more detail? Or even post a picture?

It is absolutely maddening that HP thinks they're going to keep any customers by screwing us like this.

We would appreciate any help.
Melissa

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by melissadawn (8/31/06 11:53 AM) + / -
Adding to the post above... we have HP cp1700D printers. Not sure what difference there is between 1700 and 1700D.
Melissa

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by jarpur (9/6/06 2:07 PM) +1 + / -
You need no tools to disable battery in cp1700. Open the top plastic glass cover, look into. Battery is on the left wall in the right corner. It looks like a big silver coin. Take old credit card and cut off stripe in size about 0.5cm wide. Put the stripe between battery and clips for a second and thats all. Remove stripe. Belive me I'm 190cm tall andd my hands are big (i can keep basketball ball in it) and i managed to put my hand into and do this simple operations. The cartridges work again great. You need good light to find battery :)

All the best. Jar!
Gliwice

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by danspero (9/6/06 6:56 PM) + / -
Hi-
Can anyone tell me where to find the battery on the HP Business Inkjet 3000 n. I want to try the battery removal trick.
Thanks
Dan

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by anonymous (9/6/06 8:19 PM) + / -
I can't locate the battery in the hp 1100 business inkjet either. Anyone know its location?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by wesleyc (edited 9/11/06 8:03 PM) +1 + / -
I checked the entire internals of the printer and couldn't find evidence of a battery.
Cartridge World has cartridges that apparently don't have an expiration date on them. If they can do it, them we must be able to as well.
I do know that disconnecting the printer from its power source and setting the date on your computer to a date prior to the expiration date on your print cartridge; then plugging in the power supply to your printer again and printing a test page, does allow the printer to print again. You can then change the date on your computer back again to reflect the correct date, and the printer will still function. I'm guessing this will have to be done each time the printer power is disconnected and reconnected, and you just happen to have the correct date on the computer.
Hope this helps a bit, but I'm like the rest of you, I am also trying to figure this out.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by anonymous (9/12/06 4:50 PM) + / -
Can anyone tell me how to find/get to the battery in an HP OfficeJet G85xi?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (9/12/06 5:10 PM) + / -
mweiss,

Hello, I am having the same problem you describe above on 9/23/05. Did you ever resolve your problem? Were the cartridges themselves clogged?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by bilbo_28 (9/13/06 7:01 PM) + / -
I too had the same problem of the 60% full cartridge that my printer reported as "expired'

In the printer ini file (c:/windows/hpbj1100.ini) I made one change....

the following line

DeviceIoControl error:=997

changed to

DeviceIoControl error:=0000

Printing like a dream :o)

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (9/14/06 4:30 AM) + / -
Thank you very much for your help. We were able to find the battery in both printers, and now the cartridges work. Thanks again!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by StarCraft (9/16/06 2:58 AM) + / -
I have hp 3820 printer. Same problem with the cartridge.
Does this printer have the batery somewhere? I just couldnt find it.
Does anyone have this printer?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by StarCraft (9/16/06 3:02 AM) +1 + / -
I have hp 3820 printer. Same problem with the cartridge.
Does this printer have the batery somewhere? I just couldnt find it.
Does anyone have this printer?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Dollarsign42 (9/17/06 1:27 AM) + / -
I have a cx4800 all in one, how do I find out if it has a battery or not?

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Comet (9/17/06 9:31 AM) + / -
Can anyone tell me how to fix the cartridge expiration issue with my PSC 1350??

Where can I find the 'battery', if any??

Do I've to put back the battery or remove it permenantly?

The step to reset the #56 and #57 is too long and may not 100%..

pls help..

thks in adv

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by melinsd (9/18/06 8:48 PM) + / -
I have an HP psc 2110 and I'm trying to figure out how to get around the expired cartridge problem. A few months ago I changed the color cartridge after changing the date on my computer and the expired cartridge worked fine.

Today I've tried to do the same with 4 different expired black cartridges and it doesn't seem to work. I'm confused... I don't think I did anything any differently. I used the Date/Time control panel to change the computer's date. I even shut everything down and then restarted after the date change. (I did turn off the feature to synchronize the clock with a network time server.)

Does anyone know if the psc 2110 has a battery and if so, would someone please describe to me how to find it? It would be nice if the credit card trick would work.

Has anyone else found any other solutions? In case it makes a difference, I have a slightly older Macintosh (G3 Blue/white) running system 9.1. I tried looking for other drivers, as some have mentioned, but what I found was a Microsoft website that linked to HP. I assume that's no better than the original HP software that came with the printer, right?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Melissa

Quick: How to bypass a cartridge exp. date HP7110 by dqjaz (9/25/06 1:17 PM) + / -
Got your battery trick.
But can you tell me how to locate the battery + open the thing up. I've been struggling with the sucker for a while now. Thanks. Dave dbeowulf@yahoo.com

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge exp. date HP7110 by dqjaz (9/25/06 4:45 PM) + / -
I am having this expiration trouble as well. However, I can't discover how to remove the battery -- or even locate it. Can you be of any help?
Many thanks, -Dave
dbeowulf@yahoo.com

Re: How to bypass a cartridge exp. date HP7110 by dqjaz (9/25/06 5:30 PM) + / -
This site has photos that show where the battery is on a machine similar to the HP7110 mutli-purpose piece of crap.
http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php. Even though it is not the same macjine, it is in exactly the same place and quite easy to access, just reomve the plastic cover just to the left of the paper tray opening. Voila

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by superba (9/25/06 5:54 PM) + / -
Hi,

Does anyone know if the HP Deskjet 990cxi has a battery? If it does, where is it. The main controller board is on the back close to the i/o and power plugs.

TIA.

Cheers!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/12/06 10:36 AM) + / -
I followed the steps regarding the battery issue. I have replaced the battery, I have also tried without the battery. When I put everything back together I get the page button and the power button flashing rapidly. Of course my display has failed lond ago and I can't excactly read the error message. Can anyone help, I need to print right away and was really excited about the possible fix and now am starting to doubt myself. It appears that the print head deal may be stuck but I am not sure about that either. HELP!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Sav (edited 10/15/06 3:55 AM) + / -
Ditto on the cp1700 solution.

I bought several 'Out of Date' catridges, little knowing what was to happen.

They work fine now!! thx guys

Chris.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Janviv (10/15/06 4:30 AM) + / -
Does the HP psc 1215 have a battery & if so where would I find it please, as a neighbour has this printer & it has suddenly stopped printing with the black cartridge, although it is a "new" cartridge.
Thanks Jan

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by AdrianMex (10/16/06 10:19 AM) + / -
To reset the clock in CP1700 and can use the expired cartridges.

1.- Power off.

2.- Press the CANCEL + PAPER BUTTON and hold.

3.- Press the POWER button, wait 1 second and release the CANCEL and PAPER buttons.

This work momentarily only, if you power off the printer, you will have to do this procedure again.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by beady (10/24/06 6:07 AM) + / -
Hi all,
This is similar to changing the driver from HP to Microsofts own, but another solution to the expiring ink problem is to use Linux. We've got about 20 expired 10 and 11 size cartridges for our HP Business Jet 2200/2250 printers in the office, and were ready to throw them away until I noticed that they worked fine if printing from our Linux machines. I suppose that the Linux driver doesn't send the date when printing. I don't know how this would affect printers with onboard clocks, but it worked for us.
While this wouldn't be feasible for everyone, we set up an old PC (Pentium 3 128mb Ram) to act as a print server for the network, and can now use all the old cartridges.
If you have some basic linux knowledge, its fairly easy to get working. Just make sure that you export the Windows postscript driver from CUPS and SAMBA, and don't use HP's own drivers in Windows.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/25/06 9:22 AM) + / -
Hi,
I got a HP D135 printer and I have tried disabling the battery for over an hour. Powered up again, done the # & 9 full reset, etc..however I still get the message that my colour cartridges is low on ink. I have re-filled these.

I have never had this work for me. Anyone help and let me know how to make the printer forget it's an old cartridge? Not very keen on disabling the ink level monitoring.

Thanks in advance
Bob

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/25/06 10:09 AM) + / -
Hi,

I noticed you have a D135 and did you completely remove the battery to overcome your expired cartridge messages?

Because I tried disconnecting it for over 2hours but the damn thing keeps coming back with low level messages, even when I re-filled it almost full

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (10/25/06 1:20 PM) + / -
Did you ever get an answer to your question about the HP6110.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by aaaa (10/27/06 10:36 AM) +1 + / -
the HP Business Inkjet 1200 Printer don't have a battery. But I can hack this printer, and Inkjet 1200 will print without chips in the cartridges.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by canelane (10/27/06 5:58 PM) +1 + / -
melinsd, did you ever get your 2210 to work? if so, please let us know what you did and how to do it. Thank you

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (10/31/06 9:54 AM) + / -
I want to know is there any battery exists in the HP 810C and 720C deskjet printer, if so then kindly instruct me how can I locate it?

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (10/31/06 10:06 AM) + / -
Hai,
I want to know if any battery is exist in the Hp 810C and 720 C deskjet printer, if so, kindly ininstruct me how to locate itL

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Ypshec (10/31/06 10:23 AM) + / -
Chayan,
You don't need to concern about Hp 810C and 720 C deskjet printers.
The cartridges for them don't have any chips and they'll work till out of ink.
Thx,
YP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (11/1/06 8:40 AM) + / -
ypshpc,
Thanks for your valuable suggestion and it will surely boost my knowledge further regarding 820C and & 720 C printer.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (11/1/06 9:44 AM) + / -
ypshec,
Thanks for the information.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (11/1/06 9:52 AM) + / -
ypshec,
Thanks for the information. Further I would like to know whether any service utility ia available for downloading for restting the Waste ink in Canon Printer ( like SSC service utility for epson).
Waiting for reply.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by chayan_dastidar (11/1/06 10:03 AM) + / -
ypshec,
Thanks for the information. I would like to know whether any service utilitu is available for downloading for resetting the waste ink in Canon Printers (like SSC service Utility for Epson)
Thanks.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Lussac (11/2/06 10:45 AM) + / -
I have this problem with my HP2280 but can't find out how to install the different driver as the system just keeps asking for the HP printer install disk and I don't know how to get it to use the XP built in driver. Can you help?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by pachef (11/2/06 12:42 PM) + / -
This is not true with my HP Business Inkjet 1100d. The printer will not print if the expiration date is expired!

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by pachef (11/2/06 12:52 PM) + / -
I found that in the case of my HP 1100d, I do not have to disconnect the power to the printer before changing the date.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/3/06 6:32 AM) + / -
http://refill.borda.ru/?1-8-0-00000034-000-0-0-1160808491

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by George Davis (11/3/06 8:32 AM) + / -
Interested in bypassing the cartridge expiration date on a HP 1200. Please advise. Thank you.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/4/06 9:27 AM) + / -
OK.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/5/06 10:22 AM) + / -
refill.borda.ru + secret in foto number 8-2.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/5/06 10:14 PM) + / -
in photo...

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/6/06 8:07 AM) +3 + / -
Printers HP Business Inkjet 1000, 1200: ,,expiration date" and ,,cartridge is empty" are hacked!

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date 7130 by AGNIII (11/10/06 9:29 AM) +4 + / -
Used the credit card trick on my HP 7130 and it works great! Thanks to all for your help.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/24/06 1:46 PM) + / -
I did the same thing on a cp1700 with the piece of credit card under the battery clip. It works! You guys are all awesome! I love this printer and had a bunch of cartridges stockpiled... which all expired. You all saved me a bunch of money and grief. Many thanks to all you clever people for coming up with these solutions AND for being willing to share with the rest of us!

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/24/06 1:48 PM) -1 + / -
I did the same thing on a cp1700 with the piece of credit card under the battery clip. It works! You guys are all awesome! I love this printer and had a bunch of cartridges stockpiled... which all expired. You all saved me a bunch of money and grief. Many thanks to all you clever people for coming up with these solutions AND for being willing to share with the rest of us!

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration d by Anonymous (11/24/06 1:53 PM) + / -
sorry about the double post! norton firewall hung the browser and when I checked it looked like the post wasnt there so I reposted it.. My apologies :(

Re: How to bypass expiration plus new problem by Anonymous (11/26/06 4:35 PM) +1 + / -
OK -- you guys are awesome and saved my bacon with this run-around -- a ripped off corner of a business card worked for me. Although, I can't figure out how that one person way back in this string got the piece of plastic in there without taking the back off. I have small hands, but not small enough to fit back in there!

HOWEVER! I now have another problem and am not sure if it is related. I have a HP cp1700 and instead of taking the battery out, I did the piece of business card routine overnight, then I took it out.

Now, whenever I turn the printer on AND whenever I print something out, it immediately wants to print an Auto Allignment page ("Auto Alignment in Progress"......). I don't want it to do that and it's not listening to me. It's getting to be as bad as my ex........

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! (I did look for ayone else having this problem and if I overlooked it, please guide me to the approximate date and I will check it out.)

HP1200 cartridge expiration date by billg85086 (11/27/06 2:31 PM) + / -
What does Hack mean? And Do you just remove the cartridge chip from the bottom of the ink reservior? I have four HP1200's in the office and one has been a problem - i expect the others to act up soon.
Thanks.

Bill

Re: HP1200 cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/28/06 8:34 AM) + / -
Bill, the hack means the cartridges chips are unnecessary.

Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/28/06 12:53 PM) + / -
Thanks for the info everyone. We were having the same issue - brand new full ink cartridges for our HP cp1160, but they were over a year old, so the printer kept flashing the error icon and refused to print. I broke out the trusty security driver set and removed the screws - two on top under the hinges and two on the front (one of which was hidden behind the control panel), then popped the catches on the inside and removed the top of the printer. I took a long thin screwdriver and levered the battery out of its nest, then put it all back together. I was concerned that since it's networked, it would pull the date off the network, but it works fine. No more error icon and I can use the cartridges that I couldn't last night. Thanks all.

Take that HP.

Re: Re: HP1200 cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/30/06 9:54 AM) + / -
http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3033

Re: Re: Re: HP1200 cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (11/30/06 10:00 AM) + / -
http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/news/faq_longprint.html

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/12/06 12:04 PM) + / -
Take your old cartridges to Staples or Office Depot. They will give you coupons worth $3 for each of them. Use the coupons to buy office supplies, paper, candy, or what have you.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/13/06 9:27 PM) + / -
Where did you get the replacement LCD from?
Thanks,

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/15/06 2:04 PM) + / -
I love you all. I have an HP 722C Deskjet printer. I recently opened a brand new colored ink cartridge (well, it's new but it has been sitting in an old desk for quite sometime--therefore, it it expired in 2004). I get the third blinking light as "orange" http://h10025.www1.hp.com
basically telling me that this cartridge is "defective." I have been pulling my hair out for two days trying to get this to accept my cartridge. I finally came across your forum (thank GOD!!). I didn't want to mess around with all of this battery business. SO< I set the computer's clock back to 2003 (by clicking on the "time" in the bottom task bar and going to the calendar) and guess what????? IT WORKED!!! Hallelujah!!!!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Credit card trick on officejet 7130 by Anonymous (12/16/06 12:17 PM) + / -
Hi,

I saw your reply that the "credit card trick" worked for you with the expired cartridge problem on the 7130. I have not been able to find what this credit card trick is. Could you tell me? I am so, so frustrated with this printer.

Thanks.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/28/06 8:32 AM) + / -
Hi there,

How do you hack the printer to accept "expired" catridges ?

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/28/06 8:39 AM) + / -
Hi AAAA,

How'd you hack the 1200 printer to accept "expired" cartridges ?

Re: Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Anonymous (12/29/06 9:30 AM) + / -
http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3033

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Tiffany S (12/29/06 5:17 PM) + / -
Where is the battery located in the cp1700?

Re: Re: How to extend fuser life on HP 4500Dn by rhipwell (1/8/07 8:57 AM) + / -
A little late im sure megacom, but for future referance you can reset the counter for the fuser.

please see the following link for details:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by jockokes (1/15/07 9:42 AM) + / -
I've done a lot of browsing trying to find out how to get to the battery on an HP 7130 with the purpose of disconnecting it so I can bypass expired cartridge lockout. This was the only post I found. I'd appreciate some help in locating the battery.

Re: Re: How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by bluesbarb (7/4/07 3:26 PM) + / -
Dear Moe,
Thanks so much for your help. I sure do appreciate.

Warmest,
Barb

How to bypass a cartridge expiration date by Ericski (7/4/07 8:27 PM) +3 + / -
Dear mstewart74137:
I have a Hp Deskjet 5150 that uses the 56, 57, 58 cartridges. The link
you supplied has been taken down, could you email me these instructions
on how to bypass the cartridge expiration date, Please!

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters