fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp psc 2210 carriage jam

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Joel Konkle-Park (1/8/05 3:52 PM) reply-1 + / -
Well, I was between print jobs when my cat started playing with the print carriage on my hp psc 2210 all-in-one. When I started it up again, it moved all the way to the left, then there was a loud clicking sound, and it jammed.

When I try to start the printer, or clear the 'carriage jam' message, there's a series of fast soft clicks, then a pause, then another series of fast soft clicks. The carriage is jammed all the way on the left side, under the cover, so I can't see what's going on. Nothing looks amiss from the exposed side.

During the clicking sounds, the serrated drive belt is stationary, but doesn't seem to be pulling. Between series of clicks, it moves back and forth slightly.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, or how to get in there to see?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (edited 8/11/07 2:34 PM) reply+2 + / -
Two year olds and cats are deadly to printers.

There is a thin plastic strip (encoder strip) about 1/4" wide running horizontally the length of the printer. It threads through a slot in the carriage and connects to a springy hook on the left and a stationary hook on the right. See if it is still connected on both ends. If it is not, you'll probably have to remove the case to reinstall it.

PSC 2110, removing the case

1. Remove the rear access door and the rear panel. The panel is held in place by two T10 Torx head screws. There is also a hidden latch near the bottom on the right and left side of the rear panel, a bit tricky to unlatch but patience will prevail.
2. Looking from the rear, disconnect the three cables on the left. Take note of how the two ribbon style cables are plugged in because they can be rotated 180 degrees when replugged.
3. Open the printer as if you are going to change the cartridges, then release the latches on the left and right and the scanner will rotate upward and lift off.
4. There are several T10 screws (they are obvious) that need to be removed and the rest of the case, a top and the two side covers, will come off.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Joel Konkle-Park (1/9/05 2:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the reply.

The encoder strip (clear plastic strip) seems to be connected at both ends. It is stationary on the right end and gives a little on the left, as you said it should.

I'm thinking I should probably take it apart anyway, just to see what's wrong, but I don't have the right screwdriver at the moment.

Is there anything else I should look for before disassembling?

Do you happen to know how much HP service charges for something like this?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (1/9/05 10:02 PM) reply + / -
Hmmmm. Cats and kids usually go for the encoder strip. I believe there is a flimsy black plastic cover on the right side of the carriage that comes off easily. See if it is loose somewhere.

HP's repair cost? Don't know. They will probably offer to exchange it.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by moriseiki4 (1/16/05 5:53 PM) reply+1 + / -
I'm having the exact same problem with my HP2210 4-in-1 printer. If you open the scanner top when you turn on your printer you should see the scanner/photo copier bar come out an inch or so. It then seems to be calibrating itself by moving back to its "home" position in increments. Look closely when it is all the way back. That is when the clicking starts and you should be able to see the bar shake slightly while it's clicking. At first I thought it was in the main printer body too. It wasn't until closer examination that I found it was in the scanner/photo copier (lid portion) of the printer.

So why is it doing it? No clue. I can only guess that like the printer cartriges, the scanner bar has to calibrate itself before it can function. Something is not telling it that it is all the way "home" so it keeps trying to go back further. That is the clicking sound we are hearing. This is only a guess but it kinda makes sense. I'm going to keep looking online for solutions and if anyone knows more about this problem, we'd LOVE to hear. Thanks.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (1/17/05 10:11 AM) reply+1 + / -
Clean the underside of the scanner glass. There was a post within the last explaining how to remove it.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by joeljkp (1/22/05 5:06 PM) reply + / -
moriseiki4, your problem seems to be a different one than mine.

Getting back to mine, I followed your instructions, Bert, and disassembled the printer. After some inspection, I noticed that the cartridge guide (black piece extending to the rear above the cart) was out of its track. I popped it back in, reassembled, and did a reset (#-6).

When I start it up, though, it goes through its initialization, moves the cartridge across and back, and it almost "pops" back into place on the left. The screen reports a cartridge jam, so I press Enter, then the screen goes back to normal without saying else. It appears to function normally after that, but the power button doesn't seem to turn it off any more.

Any idea?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (1/22/05 9:09 PM) reply + / -
How do you turn the printer off, unplug it?

Every time you power up the printer, is it necessary to press Enter to clear the cartridge jam?

Does the power button ever work?

There should be some excess grease on each side of the carriage where the rod goes through. Redistribute it on the rod.

Clean the encoder strip on both sides with a paper towel and a mild cleaner.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by sdowd590 (1/26/05 7:40 PM) reply + / -
I broke a piece off of the black ink carriage. I was thinking superglue but thought it would be best if I replaced the carriage. Any idea where I can find this part and how much it costs approximately? I can't find it on the HP site. Please help. Thank you.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (1/26/05 9:28 PM) reply + / -
The only source is a scrap printer.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by blonde (2/11/05 3:04 PM) reply + / -
hey. i no ur all gona think im completely blonde (wich i am :P) but i had a cartridge jam so opened top door on printer and now its like locked open. fink have solved cartridge etc but now is stuck open! sure dere is just sum leaver or sumfink ur ment 2 push 4 it 2 close agn but cant find it :p
thanx 4 ne help, sure deres an easy ans dat my blondeness has stopped me findin :P
Louise

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (2/20/05 11:19 AM) reply + / -
i have a young child over often and the encoder strip was broken and i was wondering if i could buy one or not.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (2/20/05 5:52 PM) reply + / -
The P/N is C6487-80011.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by vaderman (2/22/05 8:21 PM) reply + / -
Wow. Who knew that all 2 year olds communicate with one another. Mine just did the exact same thing last week.

Does anyone know how to thread the encoder strip through the carriage? Where is the hole located?

Thanks.

Scott

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (2/22/05 10:02 PM) reply + / -
Two year olds love encoder strips. I theorize that it is an inborn compulsion.

The encoder strip threads through a slot in the carriage and attaches to a springy hook on the left and a stationary hook on the right. Since the tiny lines on it are read optically, a properly installed one will make little or no contact with the carriage.

You may have to remove the scanner to reinstall the encoder strip. Here's how.

1. Remove the rear access door and the rear panel. The panel is held in place by two T10 Torx head screws.
2. Looking from the rear, disconnect the three cables on the left. Take note of how the two ribbon style cables are plugged in because they can be rotated 180 degrees when replugged.
3. Open the printer as if you are going to change the cartridges, then release the latches on the left and right and the scanner will rotate upward and lift off.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by vaderman (2/23/05 6:10 AM) reply + / -
Bert,

I did that, but where is the slot on the carriage?

Scott

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by vaderman (2/23/05 6:17 AM) reply + / -
OK. I discovered that the encoder strip has a slight tear on the end and that is why it will not stay on. I saw the part number above, but where do I order it from?

Scott

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (2/23/05 1:14 PM) reply + / -
You can repair it with packing tape. Don't overlap the area with the tiny lines.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by vaderman (2/24/05 12:54 PM) reply + / -
Bert,

I don't think I am threading it properly. Where exactly is the slot the strip threads through? Is it above or below the packed grease area?

I thought I had it, but it still says clear carriage jam.

Scott

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (2/24/05 1:45 PM) reply + / -
The slot is in a straight line between the encoder strip attachment hooks. I believe the slot is above the grease. The encoder strip will not be bent or deflected either horizonally or vertically when it is installed correctly.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by vaderman (2/24/05 1:51 PM) reply + / -
That is where I have it, but it is still giving me the carriage jam message. I do not think it is resetting the carriage in the right spot. After it initializes it ends up all the way to the left. And just today, I found a little black tab that broke off from somewhere. I do not no where it goes.

I tried to reset, but it still gives the message after I do a full reset.

Scott

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (2/24/05 9:55 PM) reply + / -
If all the two year old attack did was remove the encoder strip, the printer should work when the strip is installed correctly. Clean the encoder strip with a mild cleaner. The carriage counts the lines on the strip in order to determine it's position.

If possible, email me a picture of the mysterious tab.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mjpkirsch (2/27/05 7:17 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem but mine was caused by a twelve year-old.

I've removed the scanner but I can't figure out where the strip threads into. Does it thread into a specific spot or does it just sit behind something? I see the greasy spot on the rod where the cartridges are sitting but I can't see anywhere around it to thread it into.

My mom has the same printer and I'm thinking of taking hers apart to figure out where this strip goes.

Are there any diagrams on-line as to where this thing goes?

Thanks for your help.

mj

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/11/05 12:42 PM) reply + / -
I had the same thing with my PSC 2210, I followed the instructions and all seems to be working fine now.

About the plastic strip (encoder) that threads behind the printer carriage.
If you look on the back side of the printer carriage you can see two ribbon style cables. Directly next to these ribbon cables there is a small black device (Ī 50x50 mm)with 4 metal pins coming out of it that is soldered to the board of the printer carriage. I think this is the reader that reads the encoder strip.
The encoder strip has to go between the reader and the back side of the printer carriage. If properly installed the encoder strip will not be bent or deflected either horizonally or vertically.

I had the problem that the left side springy hook (to which the encoder strip is attached) had come of the metal plate it should have been connected to. So check that this hook is propercly connected to the metal bar. Make sure that the two clips of the left hook grip around the metal bar it is connected to.

Thanks everybody for your help.

grp

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mjpkirsch (3/11/05 8:47 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your help.

After I took a peek at my Mom's printer, I saw that the encoder strip doesn't really feed into anything - it just sits behind the cartridges as you said. But then I was having the problem where the strip would not stay taut, and it would just fall off after placing it on the spring on the left and the hook on the right. I noticed on my Mom's printer that the spring on the left has two tiny clips that bend around the metal that it sits on. On my printer, the clips were sitting in the front. Once I put them in the back of the metal bar, the encoder strip became taut.

Thanks again!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by dutch941 (3/26/05 6:44 AM) reply + / -
Vaderman, your mysterious tab is the cartridge guide. It sits under the cap that you press down onto the ink cartridge.
I broke mine the other day and now recieve the same carraige jam message everyone else seems to get.
Bert, is my best bet to get a junk 2210 on Ebay? or is there a better way to repair this tab?
Dutch

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/26/05 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I had a very similar problem if not the same problem. It was a gear that kept slipping off of another gear. To fix it, take off the back panel, completely remove the scanner part of the printer (and the 3 connection pieces on the back), take off what is now the top piece(there are 6 screws holding it on, and 2 plastic catches that are easy to see on the top). Then pull on the right side panel, and remove it. If you put the connections from the scanner back on (there are 3 in the back), and plug it in and turn it on, watch the gears on the right hand side and make sure they are always in contact... if not, I made a collar for the middle (largest) gear to hold it in place using a pen cap that I cut up.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by rt12 (3/30/05 7:34 AM) reply + / -
Hi, A friends 2110 has fallen prey to the two year olds infatuation with the encoder strip. I followed the information in some of the other posts, took it apart, put the strip back on and put it back together. I am still seeing the Carriage Jam error and can't seem to get it to work. Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot this? On the encoder strip, does it actually touch anything, or just run behind the carriage? Any thoughts or advice we be gretly appreciated!
Thanks!
RT

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mjpkirsch (3/30/05 7:48 AM) reply + / -
RT - I have the same exact problem. I believe the encoder strip sits behind the carriage. I am still having the jam error and the printer makes a grinding sound. I'm going to take it apart again and check on the gears as "anonymous" suggests.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (3/30/05 9:23 AM) reply + / -
The encoder strip threads through a slot that is in a straight line between the attachment hooks. The encoder strip will not be bent or deflected either horizonally or vertically when it is installed correctly. Tiny lines on the strip are detected optically so that the carriage can determine it's position. On other models, and perhaps this one also, failure to detect the lines will cause a carriage jam error, i.e. the encoder strip is not installed correctly.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by RT12 (3/30/05 9:58 AM) reply + / -
Thanks MJ and Bert...I'll try again, but I'd love to have a picture of the slot and attachment hooks...I guess I'm one of those visual learners.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by RT12 (3/31/05 4:40 AM) reply+1 + / -
Well, I've tried everything suggested, I've taken it apart several times, watched the gears and carefully rehooked the encoder strip, but it still gets the carriage jamb error. Anybody else have any ideas? Are there pictures or a service manual available anywhere? At one point last night I was debating how far I could throw it and I'm still wondering. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/31/05 5:51 PM) reply + / -
if my encoder strip is bent and the strips sags so it not striaght could that be a problem?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (3/31/05 7:37 PM) reply + / -
Yes.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mjpkirsch (3/31/05 8:17 PM) reply + / -
Mine was sagging too. I noticed that the two metal clips on the left metal spring (that the encoder hooks onto) were in the front instead of the back. So I had to put them in the back and then the encoder became taut.

Mine still makes the noise and shows a jam error. I really want to throw this thing!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (3/31/05 9:01 PM) reply + / -
To all who are struggling with reinstalling the encoder strip:

I going to take some pictures of a properly installed strip. Email me if you are still having problems.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by JB8 (4/18/05 6:15 AM) reply + / -

I've tried all the recommendations, and the encoder strip seems intact. My problem started when we cleared a paper jam. Looks like gear's don't engage and I've already taken the unit apart and can't find the problem.

Now the unit says insert right cartridge....

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (5/2/05 8:22 PM) reply + / -
Bert-
Did you take those pictures? I have followed everything and am still having trouble as well! Thanks.

Re: hp psc 2210 glass removal by Ross Davidson (5/7/05 9:09 PM) reply + / -
There is a white film on the inside of the glass, which I wish to remove.

I'm finding it difficult to work out how to remove the right hand side control pad to get at the torx screw underneath. I have taken the pad cover off, and it looks like the grey panel should slide forward?

Please advise.

I love the machine, particularly the camera memory board download facility.

Cheers,
Ross.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (5/7/05 11:11 PM) reply + / -
PSC 2100 Series, removing the scanner glass, by Bill

Using a small screw driver pry off the control panel cover from the end nearest the display. Using the screw driver depress the tab found in the square hole under the panel and slide the panel forward to remove it. Remove the two star screws exposed by the panel removal and the screw near the rear right corner of the printer. Look through the glass with a flashlight at the center front of the printer and you will see a U shaped tab sticking down from the top cover that engages a projection on the main cover. Using a thin blade inserted between the covers push the U shaped piece to the rear and carefully lift off the cover. There is a ribbon cable connected to the circuit board on the cover. Just slip it out of it's connector. Be sure to note it's orientation. You can also carefully clean the scanner mirror with a Q tip is it is dirty.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (5/8/05 4:40 AM) reply + / -
Many thanks Bert. Did the trick just fine.
Ross.

HP PSC 2210 ALL-IN-ONE please help??? by Confused (5/8/05 3:17 PM) reply + / -
My printer problem may be a simple one...

It says to "remove and check cartridges." but I don't find anything wrong with them. I've alrady replaced the color one (on the left), but it still blinks and tells me the same thing. My husband is usually the one to fix these things, but he's overseas. And I NEED THE PRINTER! :( please be kind enough to help?

Thanks.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (5/8/05 8:30 PM) reply + / -
Remove the cartridges and clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol. If the problem persists, you may have a defective cartridge. If possible, test them in a compatible printer.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Confused (5/8/05 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the reply Bert, I really appreciate your help.

Although, I've cleaned the cartridges and it still doesn't work. Fortunately, the screen now tells me that the left cartridge is defective. This is the one i already changed. Is there anything else i can do?

Thanks again.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (5/8/05 9:04 PM) reply + / -
Make sure you have installed the correct cartridge. Sometimes new cartridges are defective.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by steven13000 (5/24/05 7:19 PM) reply + / -
is there anyway to buy a new encoder strip for my printer if so what site?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mjpkirsch (5/24/05 10:03 PM) reply + / -
Go to hp.com, and click on on-line shopping

or

Go to Hp Parts store:

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/

Put in your model number (check the back of the printer) or descrpition (psc 2210 - then find your model) and look for encoder. It's a little over two dollars.

Let me know if it works for you. I still have a non-working printer. My next step is to buy the encoder strip.

mj

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (6/15/05 4:46 PM) reply+1 + / -
I am getting the same "Insert Right Cartridge" problem that someone else got. It did this after my brother inserted new ink cartridges, but forgot to close the latch on one of the ink holders. According to him, it made a bunch of clicking noises, and now it just says "Insert Right Cartridge" all the time. Has anyone found a fix for this???
Thanks!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by jgar456 (7/5/05 4:28 PM) reply + / -
The link you posted for the Encoder strip is for HP site.
They say the Encoder strip is no longer available to purchase.
Do you have any other idea where to purchase one?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (7/5/05 10:18 PM) reply + / -
Use the encoder strip from a Deskjet 3820. Lots of them were sold and most died in about a year, so with a little patience, you should be able to find one that is scrap.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by LynnKimBur (7/25/05 7:34 PM) reply + / -
Is there anything else to check? When carriage first jammed it kicked up a clicking fuss, but now makes no sound. Just tries to calibrate and then lights flash. Took printer apart but nothing seems amiss, except printer carriage moves slightly up and down (should it?). The carriage doesn't seem to go all of the way to ends, but I'm not even sure how far it is supposed to go. Any pictures or service manuals available?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by LynnKimBur (7/25/05 10:36 PM) reply + / -
I fixed it! There's a "clip" attaching the carriage drive to the belt, and it loosened (eventually detached). It sagged and kept the carriage from moving to the far ends. Once I lifted the clip, I was able to move the carriage all of the way to the side and reach/close the clip. Another perk - upon reassembly, photos print better than ever (it has printed green from the get-go). This is my second printer, as my first broke within a month. HP had me mail it in and sent a "new" one - which was in worse shape than the original. I had immediate problems with the replacement, but they kept me going until the warrantee ran out. A month out of warrantee all they offered was their expert advice in exchange for more money. They'll never get another dime from me.....The advice on this site was free, and there were no strange accents to deal with. Screw HP.

Successfully fixed a- Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (8/3/05 4:02 AM) reply + / -
I was able to fix the following problems:

1) When printing a photograph at "best" quality, horizontal bars of lighter printing appeared every three or four inches, the dots did not touch each other completely, and the source material in these bars was stretched an extra 25%. In other words, the paper appeared to be feeding too quickly every now and then.

2) When I foolishly tried to pull a piece of paper through the printer thinking it would loosen up the gears, I ended up with the "Paper Jam Error" upon startup. Every time I power up, even when printer is absolutely empty of paper, there would be some clicking and fidgeting, then the error message appears. I could not correct the problem after following the various remove cartridge, reinstall cartridge, etc. steps. I also worked the gear that is exposed at the bottom of the printer and worked the little clutch lever as well.

Printer was virtually useless, although I could still scan and read from photo card.

Following the directions in this posting, I disassembled the printer hoping to find an obvious problem to fix.

I used a cotton ball, cotton swabs, and eyeglass cleaning spray applied directly to the cotton ball/swab to clean off TWO clear plastic orientation tools. I cleaned off the transparent plastic strip behind the print head (as described in this post), and also cleaned off a 3 inch diameter transparent plastic disk on the left hand side of the printer. I also used a small piece of paper to remove excess ink and lubricant jelly from a little slot where the outer edge of the disk fits. (There is a small electronic component, presumably an electric eye, that reads the little black lines on the disk.)

Not only did I remove some lubricant jelly, but it was obvious that both the disk and the tape had a lot of excess black ink on them.

I also noted that the disk had little tick marks corresponding to the hour marks on a clock face, so I oriented the "12" tick at the top, for good luck.

All fixed. Printer now works perfectly. No paper jam message, and, even better, photographs print perfectly with no horizontal banding.

My guess is that the printer was not able to read the orientation tickmarks as it fed the paper, causing it to guess about how far to advance the paper after each pass of the print head, creating occasional horizontal banding as it fed too much paper.

Then, the problem became even worse, where the printer no longer received any notification that the paper was feeding correctly.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. My two year old daughter had apparently inserted a small object about the size of a box of matches into the left compartment near the clear plastic disk, possibly after symptom #1 started appearing but I'm not certain. Perhaps the small object rubbed against the disk causing the disk to touch something else and pick up excess black ink or lubricant jelly. I was able to remove the object using tweezers, which didn't help. That is, the object wasn't causing continued malfunction, even if it did contribute to the problem. Only after opening the case and cleaning the disks was I able to fix the printer.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (8/8/05 9:41 PM) reply + / -
I have had this cartridge jam problem from the get-go with my hp2110. It is off and on, let it sit and it works great. Then back to poop. If this was a car it would have been recalled a long time ago. I know you folks like to tinker, but, this has been a lot of wasted hours. I have never had problems with hp until this printer. Now I have second thoughts. But, thanks for all this great info. William

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (8/8/05 9:43 PM) reply + / -
I have had this cartridge jam problem from the get-go with my hp2110. It is off and on, let it sit and it works great. Then back to poop. If this was a car it would have been recalled a long time ago. I know you folks like to tinker, but, this has been a lot of wasted hours. I have never had problems with hp until this printer. Now I have second thoughts. But, thanks for all this great info. William

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (8/30/05 9:54 AM) reply + / -
I had the same problem, I merely wanted to change the ink, First it said carriage jam, cleared up that problem with the advice about the encoder strip (thanks all), well now that message is gone and now it says insert right cartridge, I cleaned everthing that I could think of and I bought a new ink cartridge
and I still have the same problem, could it be the clear strip??
I think I put it in right , any advice on how to fix that problem

Cleaning orientation strip fixes paper jam error by Whateva Stop Bugging (9/3/05 10:23 AM) reply + / -
Cleaning the plastic orientation strip behind the print heads worked for me too. I used cotton-buds and they came away pretty black!

After restarting I still had the problem once but it went away after wiggling the paper-detector (rear-door, small black tab at the upper left when looking from behind, between the rollers).

After that the printer has stopped complaining about non-existent paper-jams and I can print once again - Hooray!

The large circular disk in the left-hand compartment with markings from 1 to 12 was much less dirty.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by tlong79 (9/8/05 3:14 AM) reply + / -
hello, I have a 2115 which says open door clear carraige jam and press enter. I cant see anything wrong, there is no jam, the carraige dosent try to move, the motor winding measures 11 ohms, there is a short voltage burst of only about 2-3 volts which dosent even make it shudder, I have cleaned the registration strip with a damp cloth and it was very dirty. The only thing which dosent seem right is that occasionally it will complain about the right cartridge its a clone and i think its empty. Help!.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lulu (9/20/05 1:02 PM) reply + / -
I had a jam and immediately found this site. There was a lot of helpful information. I cleaned the strip and anything else I could reach without having to open the printer from the back. Eventually, 1 hour later, I reached to the far left and moved something too easily...it was an ink pen that I had place there the other day, just before printing and receiving the blasted message...thought it was my 2 year old's fault! After all that, the printer would feed paper, but not scan or print the image so I went to the HP site. It was basically useless except that I found the directions to initiating a self-test. That did it! It figured out that nothing was wrong anymore and printed perfectly. Good Luck and THANKS FOR THIS SITE!!!!!!!!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by KWW (10/1/05 8:49 AM) reply + / -
I tried what you guys posted on the site. I really appreciate it as it did give me hope - for a while anyway- that the hp 2110 carriage jam would resolve. Unfortunately, it still has the same problem after my efforts. This is extremely frustrating. The HP site is no help. They won't even respond to emails. My trust in their products is at a negative level at this point in time. I might as well throw away this piece of junk and buy a cheap printer that I can view as disposable. Do you guys have any other suggestions before I destroy this printer in an effort to vent my frustration?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by CMA (10/3/05 1:33 PM) reply + / -
I seem to have the same or very similar problem with the carriage jam. I have tried all of the things suggested so far and nothing seems to work. The carriage won't budge and the printer keeps waiting for me to press enter again to no avail. If anyone has any more ideas, I'd sure appreciate hearing them. Thanks. Frustrated.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by rayray (10/17/05 9:28 PM) reply + / -
I have disassembled the printer like in many of the posts and found that the cartridge cleaning mechanism is jammed in place.
The white gears spin and I believe should move the cleaning head forward but does not. It will travel to the rear if moved there manually but not forward. Any ideas or fixes?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by TMJ (10/22/05 2:08 PM) reply + / -
I found what appears to be a loose rocker arm (for lack of a better term, inside to the right of the carriage. Where does it go? It doesn't appear to be broken, just fell out somehow. I'm a machanical kinda guy but don't know anyone else who owns a 2210 printer to see where this piece goes. The part is grey in color about 4 to 5 inches and has looks like a lever of some kind. Looking at the HP web site, it sounded to me that it was the "Separator Peg Lifter". Can you help me?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lindsey (10/31/05 7:12 PM) reply + / -
For a long time my printer carriage would make a really loud noise when it was back in it's home position. Sometimes when that would happen, it would create a carriage jam and I would just move in back to the middle, press enter and all would continue, but it didn't always get stuck when it made its loud noise. Recently it began making a different loud noise - one with a high pitched sound, and when it did it would ALWAYS get stuck, but again I was able to unstick it by just moving it into the center and pushing enter. This happened for about a week and finally the loud high pitched sound happened, and the printer carriage is not completely stuck in it's home position. It won't budge! When I do try to push enter, it only moves back and forth twice about 1/2 inch, but never any more and is just jammed. I'm afraid of forcing it.

The encoder strip is attached on both sides, so it's not that. There is no panel to easily get to the printer carriage, I must unscrew the top to take it off.

Does anybody know what was making that noise, why the noise changed to an even more annoying noise (higher pitched) and why would it get jammed, why is it jammed now and most of all, what do I need to do, step-by-step, to fix the problem.

Thanks

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lindsey (10/31/05 9:46 PM) reply + / -
Just to let anybody know, that I checked out the postings in this site and did take apart the printerís outer casing as described. I found that a long black rubber drive belt (with groves in it) ran from side to side and attaches to two round white gear-like wheels (as you can see, I have no idea what to call these things). The belt is getting frayed which may have caused it to not be able to move and be stuck in home position. Moving the drive belt, I was able to unlock the printer carriage and bring it side-to-side. I lubricated the belt, the white gears and the silver bar the ink carriage rests upon with WD-40 to help it to be able to continue to move freely. Iím hoping this works. Iím going to assemble the printer againÖ.Wish me good luckÖ

Well it didnít fix my printer, but it did clear the jamÖfor a time. Now Iím hearing a loud high pitch noise whenever it wants to move the carriage and it gets stuck. I think the carriage drive belt is slipping and causing a carriage jam. Perhaps a mixture of slipping and being Ďeatení by the gears as it slips or gets stuck is what is causing the loud high pitch noise and the fraying of the drive belt itself. Where it rest most (which is on the white gear on the left-hand side of the printer) is frayed and where there should be groves, I see white threads showing through and the groves seems to be gone. But Iím only speculating this is the problem, since I have no idea how to fix it, except that I probably should be a new carriage drive belt. I looked on ebay, and found drive belts for sale, but not yet for an hp psc 2210.
So my questions are now

1. Am I correct in my conclusion Ė that itís the drive belt making the noise, the gears fraying it and it must be changed. Or is there maybe something else Iím not catching
2. Does anybody know where I can get an extra carriage drive belt. I read on another (but older) posting that hp doesnít supply these parts.
3. Does anybody have a step-by-step instruction on how I would go about fixing the carriage drive belt once I get it into my hot little hands?
Please take note: I am not a technician! I am a 39 year old stay-at-home homeschooling Mom who needs this printer for school and just wants to try to see if she can fix it herself!!

Finally fixed my printer! by mjpkirsch (11/1/05 8:51 AM) reply + / -
After putting the printer aside for a few months (for fear that I would throw it out the window!), I took it apart again.

I kept getting the door is open, clear jam error. I had my encoder strip installed incorrectly. It needs to be behind that little black connector with the four silver contacts that's behind the print cartridges. The reason that it needs to be slipped into this area is because it needs to read the optical lines on the encoder. The encoder strip needs to be on the side closest to the printer cartridges (as opposed to the back of the printer - which is where I had it sitting incorrectly).

To get an idea how this connector reads the lines on the encoder strip, look at the round clear see-through dial on the left hand side of the printer. It has numbers on it from 1-12. You'll be able to see that it also has a black connector (with the four silver contacts) optical reader as well and the clear dial is slipped in between.

I hope this helps! Sorry about the lingo - I don't know the correct terms for these items. I just looked back at my first posting here and realized that my printer has been out of commission since last February - all because of some silly little plastic strip not being "slipped" behind that black connector!

Thanks for listening - I just had to spread the news!

mj

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lindsey (11/1/05 10:05 AM) reply + / -
I'm glad that mj got his fixed, but is there anyone out there that could still help me with my problem/question from 10/31?? Thanks!!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Jaime (11/5/05 9:24 PM) reply + / -
Ok well my 1 year old yanked out my encoder strip.. that'll teach me to sit her on my lap while I'm working on the comp.. so anyways, after reading through this message board I bought myself the appropriate screwdriver and took apart my printer, fixed the metal clasp, ran the encoder strip back through the cartridge and reattached it... so now it works! Yeah! Thanks to everyone for their input.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by edpayne (11/13/05 8:02 AM) reply + / -
Did you ever fix this because I have the same problem? If so can yo let me know how you did it? Thanks.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (11/17/05 6:31 PM) reply + / -
The part # is C6487-80011 yes you can purchase them. If you can't find one contact me. cdaggett@san.rr.com

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Justinmikehunt (11/24/05 3:09 PM) reply + / -
I have a broken encoder strip also. I don't have any need for the printer anymore, but I'd just like to use the scanner. When I turn the printer on it says carriage jam, and won't let me go any farther. Is it possible to make it override that, and ignore the printer carriage, and just use the scanner?

Thanks
-Justin

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (11/25/05 4:53 AM) reply + / -
I don't think so, I ended up buying a new printer, but if you
email support at hp they have a series of codes that you might want to try , it clears the memory, it didn't work for me but it might work for you,I deleted the emails otherwise I would tell you how, best of luck Connie

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by justinmikehunt (11/25/05 9:15 AM) reply + / -
I contacted HP support, and it turns out that even though the printer is flashing and telling me to clear the carriage jam, I can still scan using the software, just not the buttons.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (11/25/05 10:56 AM) reply + / -
That's good to know

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by thpandy (12/14/05 5:08 PM) reply + / -
Bert,
I have had numerous problems with the encoder strip (a cat not a two year old, but they must have taught him well). I have become an expert at restringing it. Now I have a new cat induced problem...there is a grey flat retainer strip that clips to the carriage behind the encoder strip that has been broken. The cat has pulled it loose before and we have been able to reposition it, however this time it was snapped. Can this be purchased? I will send a picture if you need clarification.
--Andy

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lindsey (12/21/05 2:55 AM) reply + / -
Just so you know, Andy, Bert is no longer with the forum.

Re: Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/21/05 4:22 PM) reply + / -
Lindsey,
Thanks for the info, whom should I ask for part number information? I am a newby to this forum.
--Andy

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Lindsey (12/22/05 10:29 AM) reply + / -
Wow! I really don't know. Maybe you could just post it here, or make a search on this site for what you need. Perhaps your answer or help can come from another thread that would be closer to what your problem is. I know Bert was such a help, but there are other people here that can help. I'd also try scrolling up and looking for those who are giving advice or who have the wrench icon next to them and just ask them a question with the 'reply' option by their name. I'd do that for many of them, even on different threads, who seems like they are familiar with maybe what you need. I hope this helps at least to give you some direction on where to look.

Another idea is if you can find out the name of the part you need, to go to google.com and make an image search with that name. When you see something that looks like what you need, click on the picture and it may take you to a webpage that sells those parts. I'd play around with using different names for searching with your printer make/model name in it or just the part.

-Esther (stay-at-home homeschooling Mom of 4)
P.S. Two days ago I was able to get my own printer to work again, but it's still making a lot of noise. This forum is helpful, but like anything, the help can sometimes go only so far.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/24/05 10:36 AM) reply + / -
Got my psc 2210 printer going again after the decoder strip was yanked out by a 1 year old.

Just to clarify again, the 1/4" decoder strip must thread through the small gap of the position reader chip on the back of the cartridge carrier. It looks like it just needs to glide along this chip like a tape on a tape head, BUT NO, it must thread through the small gap on the backside of the chip.

The chip is small - about 3/8" square. This gap is not accessible from the top and very hard to see (for me at least). You can thread from underneath or the sides.

The strip is responsible for reporting back the position of the carriage. Without this position, it cannot function.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Suzy (12/27/05 5:35 PM) reply + / -
My problem is that my 2210 keeps saying press enter to align cartridges, so I do that and it just keeps saying it over & over again. when I push the fax,scan, or photo key it won't move off copy. Can anyone help me?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by mtoomey31 (2/21/06 3:13 PM) reply + / -
I have a decoder strip for these HP models, Model Number C6487-80011, available if anyone would like to purchase it from me. This is a very rare strip that is not available anywhere else on the internet. One individual on Ebay is selling it for $141!! That's CRAZY!! My printer went cappoot, so I'm selling the parts.

Let me know if anyone is interested. mtoomey31@yahoo.com

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Jodyjo (5/18/06 1:08 PM) reply + / -
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice on encoder strips. After reading all the posts here, I have successfully fixed my hp 2210. Thanks again.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by ggelinas (11/12/06 8:52 AM) reply + / -
Bert

I would like to thank you very much for the information. I was able to put back my all-in-one in service following your instructions.

The strip is very important, I had to reinstall the spring hook since the two little hooks were not on the metal bar...

I took the opportunity to clean both the strip and the disk.

The tricky part was to find the slot for the strip. Once I found it and had the strip go through it everything when OK.

Thank you very much you had me save money and time.

Regards

Guy from Montreal!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by glanny (11/24/06 12:15 PM) reply + / -
I had a loud clicking noise following the self test at boot time that never stopped.

taking it apart, cleaning the Encoder strip with a tissue along the whole length (just carefully wiped the dust and ink off)

reassembled and its all working without the noise

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by muzak (12/2/06 1:16 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem as most of the submitters to this site:
1) "Clear carriage jam." Couldn't find it! Kept looking. then it was the 42 year old (as opposed to the 2 year old) that pulled the Encoder strip off. There the printer sat for two months. I found your site about 3 hours ago.

2) I took the machine apart, then cleaned the Encoder Strip, and same message/error. take it apart again.

3) Thanks to the dilligence of anonymous 12/24/05 and ggelinas 11/06/06 - I looked much more closely at the slot where the Encoder strip goes, fed it into the slot, and all is well.

My scenario - as best I understand it:
- The Encoder Strip got dirty and needed cleaning.
- In the process of trying to find and fix the problem I introduced a new problem by not having the strip threadded into the right place.

Seems to be working now. Thanks to all.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by muzak (12/2/06 1:30 PM) reply + / -
I said I was fixed. I moved my printer to its original working spot, and the problem came back immediately. Yuk.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by crystal-kat (12/5/06 4:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi,
My printer's screen said Open door. Check cartridge jam, then press Enter. first, I thought I was suppose to change he cartridge, so I went and bought a new one ,and I placed it in the slot. when I reopened the printer. it still gives the same thing, so I pressed Enter. and it says press enter to align cartridges. what does that mean? anybody know?

Mimi

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by bbass (12/11/06 6:43 PM) reply + / -
I have a similar problem. I get the same error message on the printer screen but mechanically it seems different. The cartridges move from side to side freely and the encoder strip seems fine. My problem seems to be when the cartidges come to rest at the right side of the printer, a piece under the cartridges tries to move but can't/won't move as far as it should. This piece looks like it seals the ink when the printer is not in use. I can move the piece into what looks like where it should end up without the cartidges.When I restart the printer however the piece moves back out of the way, the cartridges move right to left and and back home and the piece won't/can't move back under the cartrdges and I get the jam error again.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/22/06 3:41 PM) reply + / -
hi my name is miriam and how did you fix your printer because my printer has the same problem and i dont even have a clue what a carriage thing is , so can you help me?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Stephen (12/22/06 5:54 PM) reply + / -
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/39385#2

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/24/06 6:06 PM) reply + / -
I know your entry is a year old but I am having the same problem. How did you finally fix it. Thanks

Re: Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/24/06 6:18 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have an HP psc 2210. It keeps saying "press enter to align cartridges". When I press "enter" it prints out a test page in black although I am using 2 color ink cartridges HP57 and HP58.
I cant use the scanner or copier and it continuously scrolls "press enter to align cartidges". Since I dont seem to have any cartridge jams could it still be the same problem in the previous messages? Help

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (2/1/07 12:00 PM) reply + / -
I have a PSC 2110xi all-in-one printer, scanner, copier and have had problems with scanner not initializing. I cleaned the glass and encoder strip. I noticed that my cover was a bit yellow due to the reflection of the scanner light. I added a blank piece of paper to help the motor find itís home position. PSC 2100 initialized OK!!

My comments here may help you remove the cover and access the motor drive mechanism. This model has 3 T10 Torx screws. Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Right.
Once you access the motor drive mechanism you can clean the encoder strip. Be gentle this will help. While you are it clean the glass and if needed secure ribbon cables.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by editor (2/18/07 11:57 AM) reply + / -
Guys
what a great resource!

I value your collective wisdom.

My wife's HP PS 2210 died as per descriptions above. I followed tips for dis-assembly. Why oh why do they hide screws & use clips that break? (I know!)

I cleaned the rotary encoder disc and the linear encoder tape and put it back together.

It worked!

Rather noisier than before but perfect test print.

Also used opportunity to clean scanner glass inside & out.

THANKS GUYS FOR BEING THE HP KNOWLEDGE BASE!

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by burgo1957 (2/18/07 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Thanks very much Bert for your instructions in clearing the scanner jam as I had a very similar problem.

After removing the top cover to expose scanner carriage I found a small black 'U' shaped clip which was blocking the roller on the front. My question now is where does it go??
I reassembled the printer without the clip and it is working great, but would still like to fit the clip.

Can I email you with photos I took of the area and the clip?

Re: hp psc 2210 repair manual by Melis (4/6/07 1:18 PM) reply + / -
I had to order a cartridge carriage for my psc 2210, is there a repair manual that can show me how to take the printer apart to replace this?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (4/6/07 7:32 PM) reply + / -
I haven't seen one. I'm amazed you could even purchase that part.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Stephen (4/7/07 6:28 AM) reply + / -
Melis,

Please post the part number, and source.

I have worked on lots of DeskJet 5550's that use a similar carriage.

For those machines you just pop the carriage off of the rod.

ST

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Melis (4/9/07 7:56 AM) reply + / -
My invoice does not show a part number, it just shows PSC2210 Carriage assembly. On the board of the part it says c6487-80069 & C6487-60003 I'm assuming this is just for the board and not the carriage itself. It was purchased from Everprint International.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by canam (4/13/07 4:15 PM) reply + / -
have a open door clear paper jam error on my psc 2200 all in one.
have tryed everything listed at hp's site. nothing worked. am now trying to take apart the printer, but ran into a road block.

can anyone tell me how to remove the cover and get to access the cartridges. they are stuck to the right side and wont move back to center.

thanks

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 by Anonymous (4/19/07 4:10 AM) reply + / -
My HP2210 scanner seems to have a problem. What started this morning as scanner not functioning correctly - stopping during a picture scan - has now degenerated into the device not completing initialisation - the scanner starts its calibration phase and then seems to be stuck in a 'not recognising it is at home position' cycle with the motor trying to presumabably pull it further back judging by the soft crunching noise.

I have removed the scanner glass, cleaned it and replaced it with no change in the symptons - do you have any further thoughts on what I might do please? Any guidance thoroughly appreciated.

BTW there is a small plastic catch under the left hand front cover about 45cms from the edge that also has to be released to remove the scanner glass.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by annjtsai (7/27/07 9:48 AM) reply + / -
I think I broke the printer. I kept receiving an error message to remove a paper jam in the cartridge. There was no paper jammed, so I opened the door and adjusted the two white strips and subsequently pulled them out of the cartridge carrier, along with the black plastic piece that holds them together. How do I get them back into place? I can send a picture of the problem if that will help. Thanks!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (7/27/07 6:35 PM) reply + / -
You will have to remove the case and then the carriage (cartridge carrier) in order to replug the ribbon cables. Instructions for removing the case are available if you need them. You will also need a T10 Torx head screwdriver.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by stephanie-h (edited 8/8/07 5:54 PM) reply + / -
My carriage is hopelessly cemented towards the left (but not so far that itís obstructed by the plastic). I phoned HP support and was told that the product was ďobsoleteĒ and that they would not offer phone support (Iím amazed that a three-and-a-half year old product is considered obsolete, but I digress). Iím going to run out and buy the screw-driver needed to remove the back panel as described in the famous ďbertĒ posts, but after reading all of your messages ---I think thatís as far as Iím willing to invest. I canít even move it manually as HP suggests in their troubleshooting. Itís totally stuck. Any thoughts? Tricks? Do I just kick it to the curb???

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (8/8/07 6:18 PM) reply + / -
When you say left do you really mean right? If you had said right my immediate reply would be that it's stuck in the service station. If you really mean left then something unusual has happened. Maybe something has fallen into the mechanism. If possible remove the cartridges and then try moving the carriage.

If disassembly is necessary you will have to remove more than the rear panel.

I like obsolete inkjet printers, preferably 5 or 6 years obsolete.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Brother Bob (8/11/07 1:31 PM) reply + / -
I have my encoder strip sitting on my keyboard. Three problems arise:
1)which way is up? Which way is left? (left as one kneels down and peers into the paper tray)

One end has a diagonal slot, the other has a vertical one. The one with the vertical has an arrow.

2)& 3) how does a full grown man with bifocals get his hands in there and see where the hooks are?

Everyone says you have to be 13 in order to work electronics, but I didn't believe it until now....

Thanks in advance!

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (8/11/07 2:34 PM) reply + / -
The easiest way to reinstall the encoder strip is to remove the case. It's not all that difficult if you are reasonably mechanical and patient. I do this stuff all of the time and I wear bifocals. Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name and I'll forward some pictures that show how the encoder strip hooks up. Make sure you give me an up to date email address. I've emailed a lot of stuff to addresses that are bogus or out of date.

See my post dated 1/8/05 7:13 PM in this thread for instructions on how to remove the case.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Brother Bob (8/11/07 4:42 PM) reply + / -
Mr. Hewlitt and all his design engineers now have a special place reserved for them. I asked for it as I worked on their machine.

My big problem was that I didn't understand that the 1/4 inch strip was 100% of the problem. Now to fix it, I had to completely remove all the dead dinosaur to get my big fat hands anywhere near, but if I had had one of those two year olds all you folks are going on about, I could have had HIM reach in and thread that strip through the back of the print carriage.

I ended up using the tiny little flashlight from the tweezer set to see between the back of the wall that the cartridges press against and the open space where the whole thing slides on the bar. There, tucked 'way away in the center where it was MOST difficult to get to, was the slot. After an hour of trying not to discuss Mr. Packard's momma, I got it threaded.

Now everything works fine!

What takes ink off the end of noses? Anyone out there with a two year old got an answer?

Whew! Thanks for all the help, commiseration and community, friends!

Bob

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by printerdocsd (8/13/07 8:37 PM) reply + / -
If anyone breaks their encoder strip let me know I have a few.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by engftp (8/23/07 6:46 AM) reply + / -
Bert,

Can you e-mail the pictures that show how the encoder strip hooks up.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by engftp (8/23/07 6:46 AM) reply + / -
Bert,

Can you e-mail the pictures that show how the encoder strip hooks up.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by engftp (8/23/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
Bert,

Pls e-mail these pictures on how the encoder strip hooks up.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (8/23/07 6:59 AM) reply + / -
I don't have access to your email address until you email me. Click on the crossed tools to the right of my name. I get lots of emails so tell me exactly what you need. Make sure your email address is correct and not expired.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by uski (9/14/07 7:19 PM) reply + / -
I had this famous problem with the scanner tray not detecting his end position, and I am glad to present you all a new solution I found ! :)

I tried cleaning the glass and all the mirrors, and it did not help.
In a last resort try, I ***carefully*** removed the glass, and I removed the white alignment strip.
Instead of putting it to the back of the glass like it was, I attached it with duct-tape to the front of the glass, so that the light from the scanner bulb does not have to go through the glass to reach that white strip.

The basic idea is to get rid of the light attenuation caused by the glass itself.

It works perfectly ! My PSC 2100 is not working like a charm.

Just be careful to perfectly align the strip with its old position. If the strip is not correctly aligned, the scanner might refuse to work as before. I had no problem.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (9/16/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Hi
I just had my hp 2210 apart looking for a different problem. I did have it do just what your saying after putting it back together. I had removed the 3 connections between the scanner and the printer, 2 flat cables and 1 open wire with about 6 wires, anyhow I removed the flat ribbon wires and reinstalled them and that took care of the scanner problem. This connection is on the left side if your looking at the back, cover removed, just below hing of the scanner part. Now if I can find the thing that sounds like stripping gears.
Good luck

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by lola!!!! (9/16/07 3:31 PM) reply + / -
HELP! Can anyone send me a picture of how the two ribbons connect in the back of the scanner! Does anyone have a detacted black wire connected to the lid of the scanner?

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (9/16/07 3:35 PM) reply + / -
Powered down the printer.
Moved the cartridge all the way to the left.
Powered up the printer.
Fixed.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by tomkondo (10/14/07 8:55 PM) reply + / -
Hi Folks,

I have an HP PSC 2210 that I very cleverly broke the hinge on snap cover that holds the ink cartridge in place. (Never try to replace ink cartridges when you first get up and are not yet awake!) I put the cartridge in backwards and the cover broke when I tried to snap it in place. Itís that little blue piece that you lift up to put a new ink cartridge in and in this case a Ď57í on it. Does any one have one? Does anyone know the part number for it or do they know what larger assembly I need to get and replace. I went to the HP parts web site but could not locate what I need. I still have a hinge pin and I hate to have the whole printer down for a 10-cent piece of plastic.

Thanks a lot!

Tom

Re: Re: hp psc 2410 carriage jam by vermont6651 (11/6/07 7:49 PM) reply + / -
I am having same problems. I am trying to reinstall the encoder strip. Can you please send me pictures that show how the encoder strip hooks up.

Thanks

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (11/6/07 8:32 PM) reply + / -
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Ask for the Encoder Strip Reinstall photos.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by oronzous (12/4/07 11:39 AM) reply + / -
This one usualy works:

turn off and then turn on our printer, while lifting it 4 inches and dropping the printer.

The 2110 is just asking for vilolence.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/5/07 12:43 PM) reply + / -
I did the same thing as you, only broke it because I was in a hurry to change cartridges. I purchased a printer on Ebay; the print quality wasn't as good as mine. After following directions here on how to disassemble the cabinet, release the cartridge carrier from it's station, and replace the ******* HP quality plastic part, I managed to get the printer working again. I have a '56' cover if you're interested. (And the entire rest of a 2210 also.)

Beth

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by imlikeafish (12/14/07 8:10 AM) reply + / -
for what its worth, here is the 'desperation solution':

after clearing a paper jam, I also received the "clear carriage jam and then press enter" message . the cartriges were stuck to the left (facing).

I checked "under the hood" and all the parts appeared to be in their proper places as described in previous posts. since I am not at all mechanically-minded and my only option was to toss this thing I figured I had nothing to lose if I manually forced the cartridges to budge from place while at the same time pressing enter after lifting the lid as instructed.

well, go figure, it worked.

for now.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (1/31/08 1:28 PM) reply + / -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Try the link above.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (2/25/08 7:18 PM) reply + / -
I was able to fix the problem for a few months by switching off the machine, turning it upside down and shaking gently but firmly. Then switch on again; repeat as necessary.

But by the following year this solution had stopped being effective, so I suspect it's the old scrap-and-replace solution.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/11/08 10:50 AM) reply + / -
I was trying to fix the gear grinding noise problem, had the thing apart twice, second time i put it together i get no power - it won't test and turn on. I took it apart again and checked for loose wires - none obvious. Is there an interlock switch somewhere that needs attention? Or have I moved some gears out of alignment and they won't allow a connection? Any help??

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/17/08 2:02 PM) reply + / -
Yep, I have just fixed mine after my little two year old niece reached in there and managed to yank the encorder disc to the left out of the ref sensor gap to the left. Put everything to gether and realised I could not power on. checked my power supply and verified power. Opened printer again and discovered the ribbon cables from the top cover were not propoerly connected. They easily slip out when you have the printer apart and make sure the blue side is on the outside because it is easy to rotate these 180 degrees and they only work one way

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Nazih (4/21/08 10:49 PM) reply + / -
How can I clear carriage jam,for hp psc 2210

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (5/2/08 11:17 PM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem with my printer. Could you tell me please if the decoder strip is normally loose or tight. And where do I locate that chip that it needs to thread through.
I would certainly be appreciative of any help you might be able to give me

Thanks in advance,
Marissa

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (5/3/08 2:18 PM) reply + / -
The encoder strip is normally tight but will have some give because it is attached to a springy hook on the right. If the strip is loose it will have to be reattached on the right and left an threaded through an optical sensor on the back of the carriage. If you need photos email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Ask for the PSC 2210 encoder strip photos.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by turbopidar (5/29/08 10:25 AM) reply + / -
Very useful megaupload files search. It includes over 4 000 000 files. megaupload files search is a best search engine designed to search files in various file sharing and uploading sites.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by reza254 (12/9/08 11:19 AM) reply + / -
2 year old pulled out the left side of the strip and it was dangling loose, friend as me to fix printer. I Brought it home, and my cat love it so much, she pulled out the right half too. So now I had no idea where that thing went, until I found this page. Or so I thought. Bert seems to give the most info, but I have something to add in case anyone in future needs to deal with this problem.

NOTE: When I say Left or Right, I mean looking at the printer head on, as when in normal use, so for example the control buttons are on the top RIGHT.

1. Unplug the printer. Put printer on LOW table, clear lots of room, you'll need it. You'll need a roll of masking tape if you're working alone, and the funny little star screw driver, type T10 as mentioned by others. Make sure the table is well lit, or you have a flashlight. With masking tape seal the front of the scanner to gray plastic part just below it. Clean your encoder strip with a mild cleaner, and try to handle it with its edges as much as possible.

2. pull out the back panel with the HP logo on it. Then remove the 2 screws in the back. To fully remove the back panel gently push down on the bottom left and bottom right of INSIDE part of that plastic cover to release the pins, and pull it out. This is tricky, be patient, it will come off without breaking.

3. Open the lid as if you were going to change the cartridges, make sure you watch the cables on the back side, near where the buttons are. Slowly pull the top scanner part up only a little, and then make sure the cables are loose so you can put it straight down behind the printer. I did this to avoid unplugging and replugging those 3 cables. They area a pain in the neck to re-connect, plus I worry they might crack if I push the wrong way when I need to re-connect them. So this part is to avoid having to mess with those 3 cables. Just leave them connected IMHO, and rest the scanner top right next to the body of the printer. And to make sure it doesn't more or slide off, at this point I put another pieced of masking tape to from it's front to the silver flat aluminum bar on the printer that's closest to it.

4. Remove the 6 screws from the little cover on the inside of printer, some of them may not come all the way out, but as long as they're loose all the way, that's fine.

5. Notice the holes on the ends of encoder strip, they are different; match the holes to the correct side, and also notice there is an arrow marked on the left, should be pointed UP. Now hook the Right side only. The hook on the right looks like a fat letter T.

6. Make sure the spring on the left is in the right spot. I use the term spring, but it's just a flat piece of metal that is bent in the middle and pulls the strip to make sure it's taut. The is two pins on that spring, which should go on the back side of the bar it mounts to. If those pins are not in the right place, you'll have to remove the screw from the spring, put the spring and the pins in the right position, and then put the screw back on.

7. Remove the SIDE PANEL on the LEFT side, it has two little tabs at the bottom that if you rotate it outward will release it. Now look behind the cartridge slots, you should see 4 silver metal pins sticking out of a plastic piece. I'll call this pieced the electronic eye, since that's how the printer looks to see where the cartridges are. Now close one eye, and look at the "electronic eye" from the LEFT side, where you just removed that panel. You should see a little black tab, which looks a bit like an upside down letter U. THE PLASTIC ENCODER STRIP MUST GO THROUGH THAT LITTLE TAB. After you make sure that is done, hook the left side of the strip to the spring on the left side.

8. I was brave enough to plug the printer in at this point, and pushed the Enter button, and wait for the "carriage jam" error to go away. After that, the display just said to closed the lid, so I put everything back on and screwed it tight, and I'm glad to report it's working now. You may want to play it safe and leave the printer unplugged until you've put everything back on to test it, otherwise you might get an electrical shock.

HTH

Ali

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by rcrest (3/21/09 4:17 PM) reply + / -
We got the "carriage jam" message a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all for the info on disassembly, the encoder strip, cleaning, etc.

Our problem was that the carriage was not moving completely to the right (as viewed when one is using the printer), where the service/alignment mechanism is located. This service/alignment mechanism should slide forward and back, but it could not move back, because one of its components Iíll call the "spring piece" (black plastic with a spring sticking out the back) had moved out of position. Thus the whole service/alignment mechanism was blocking full rightward movement of the print carriage.

To get the "spring piece" back into place, unplug and follow the disassembly instructions provided in earlier posts, to get access to the carriage area. The service/alignment mechanism (on the ride side, visible as you look down on the printer) should be pulled forward (towards you). On its upper side, there are 2 black plastic, u-shaped rocker arms, each with 2 tabs. The spring piece has 4 tab receptors which correspond.
Holding the ďspring piece,Ē place the end of the spring, which has a concave-v-shaped end, on the centrally located part of the mechanism which has a smaller v-shaped protuberance. Move both rocker arms into a vertical position. Position the rocker arm tabs which are on the right side, into the corresponding receptors on the "spring piece". Then use a small screwdriver or other object to gently pry the tabs on the left side into place.

Then move the whole service mechanism back, away from you. If the ďspring pieceĒ is properly in place, it should be possible to move the print carriage completely to the right. When the printer is completely reassembled and power restored, the print carriage will park there on the right, and won't be visible in standby mode.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (3/22/09 10:39 AM) reply + / -
I have resolved my problem by buying a Lexmark printer. If anyone would like the old one, I can ship it to you for nothing except the shipping. Let me know. Crys24634@aol.com in western NY

Bob

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (4/24/09 1:48 PM) reply + / -
that plastic strip was off So I hooked it back on left side DID not look to see if it was through carriage would and could that be my problem I done everything else but the HAMMER> Thanks

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (4/24/09 5:48 PM) reply + / -
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name for photo of where the encoder strip threads through the carriage. Be specific about what you need.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (7/22/09 10:55 AM) reply + / -
I tried resetting (on/off) several times and let the machine reinitialize itself. After the 8th time, it correctly rebooted and has been running fine.

Re: hp psc 2210 not detecting paper by RickWilt (11/29/09 10:13 PM) reply + / -
When I setup this printer for a friend I remember seeing one (possibly two) paper detectors hanging down at the main paper tray. The printer is not detecting paper and the detectors are not longer there. Can someone help with the manual's page showing these items, there part numbers and where I can order. I might also need the sensor itself.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Bert (11/30/09 12:12 AM) reply + / -
If you are referring to an inkjet printer and not a Laserjet, there are no paper sensors in the paper tray. The printer assumes that the paper tray is empty if paper does not feed. The paper sensor is in the rear of the printer. Remove the rear cleanout door and clean the large rubber feed rollers with water.

If you have a Laser jet go to the web page below to download a service manual.
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (12/9/09 2:21 PM) reply + / -
This is exactly what my printer needed. Talk about psycho thing. Was soo close to just buying a new one then I thought I should check on how to clear a printer jam on it. And what do you know this is what I needed. Turning it on the cartridges would bang around and sound like it was going to break. Making reall funny loud clicking/grinding sounds. No good. Then did these steps and took the whole thing apart. I did use a light to help me thread the clear line through the cartrige in the back of it. Put it all back together and wha-la. Blasted thing works again. Hooray!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by coupongail (12/31/09 4:50 PM) reply + / -
My carriage was jammed over to the left & would not move. This happened after a piece of paper got stuck. I got all the paper out but the carriage was jammed. After trying many things & becoming frustrated, I decided to push it to the right as far as I could. What did I have to lose? I was ready to junk the thing. But with the hard pushing it clicked over something & started moving. I guess the paper had pushed it off the track. Works fine now. Hope this helps someone.

Gail

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by gmason (2/10/10 7:35 PM) reply + / -
Can someone please tell me how to clear a carriage jam, I checked to see if there was paper jammed, it wasn't, I turned off and unplugged printer, rebooted message still comes up carriage jam

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (2/17/10 1:15 PM) reply + / -
lift top printer like u r replacing ink. remove one screw on left from topside. pull left side cover off and clean ink off clear disk on gear drive.

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Anonymous (2/17/10 6:07 PM) reply + / -
Hi Bert, I would like to know if you can please email me PSC 2210 encoder strip photos. Thank you so much

Re: hp deskjet 5650 paper jam/encoder strip by Scythe (2/21/10 8:54 PM) reply + / -
Hi, guys, I have come across a huge problem.

Recently, there was a paper jam in my HP Deskjet 5650 printer. Once I cleared the paper jam, however, and tried to print something else, the encoder strip cam loose and now the only thing that happens is a message that says "Paper jam, obstruction, etc." I have cleaned it, however, I have absolutely no idea where it goes. Can someone give me a manual or a diagram that specifically tells you where this damn strip goes?

email: satanwarmaster@yahoo.com

Thanks for any help.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by moe (2/21/10 10:16 PM) reply + / -
This happens to be a 2210 thread. You should have started your own thread. In any case, it's not rocket science. Strip goes through the back of the cartridge holder, specifically through the center of the U shaped optical sensor. Then it hooks onto 2 very obvious hooks on either side of the printer mechanism.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Darinthal (2/28/10 4:04 PM) reply + / -
Hi. Just managed to fix this printer giving false Paper Jams.

Ended up Cleaning the Encoder Strip (strip going behind the cartridge carrage) and the Encoder Wheel (Transparent plastic wheel) on the paper feed assembly behind the left panel and the electronic eye that the wheel runs through.

Put it all back together, turned it on and away it went.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by jbjb2k4 (3/11/10 9:46 PM) reply + / -
ok so my problem is, i was cleaning the printer heads and all that and somehow managed to disconnect the ribbons on the control panel..i can't figure out which way they go back on. the printer turns on but the little monitor screen has no power. grrr i'm soo frustrated. i tried different reconnecting many different ways since you can rotate the ribbons 180 degrees but nothing is working. thanks

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by dpalmucci (6/12/10 3:49 PM) reply + / -
my encoder strip is attached at both sides but it still says that i have a carriage jam, how do you think i can fix it ?

Re: hp psc 2115 carriage jam by Jakijac (9/12/10 5:19 AM) reply + / -
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement print head drive belt (the narrow black toothed belt) as mine has snapped, after jamming several times and then making a loud screeching noise?

Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Cheryl Deering (9/18/10 2:03 AM) reply + / -
Thank you and Bert _so_ much for the directions. I just finished fixing my printer, and it works great!!! Gracias mondo, guys--I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!!!

C.

Re: Re: Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by gusarma (10/29/10 12:50 AM) reply + / -
Dear FRIEND/S, I am faced with a peculiar other difficulty with my portable HP Officejet H470. If the front open cover is opened, I find the cartridges carriage moving left and right. If I close the cover and try to start printing, the carrier does not move and
the computer screen displays the objection CARRIER STUCKS. i AM
afraid to meddle with the printer or cartridges, lest I may
spoil them. I am in Ramakrishnapuram, (sector 13, New Delhi). I
wish to know the nearest authorised hp servicing point; so far, I
have no helpful information in this regard.No paper is stuck up.
But the printer showa red aler light which generally lights up when
paper is exhausted in the printer and it needs more paper to be inserted, or when previous printing ordered from the computer is
not finished, but yet to be completed. Can somebody help me please?
HP themselves acknowledge my message to this effect but regrets
that they cannot obviously reply to individual email queries. But,
they have not addressed this particular repetitive difficulty in
their printers, irrespective of the model No. or type. Already I
have chamged 2 h470.s!
gusarma@gmail.com
29th October 2010.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by hpuser4repair (8/28/11 4:17 AM) reply + / -
I have had the scanner problem several times in recent years and each time something different fixed the problem. The problem being that the scan bar which moves across the glass to read the document seems to get stuck and makes a grating sound for several minutes before stopping and displaying an error message that the lamp is not warm, etc. Sometimes, the reset feature will fix this but today I found that pulling the plug and letting the machine "rest" overnight did the trick. I think it may be that the motor which pulls the light wand across the glass needs to cool down before it resets itself. Hope this helps someone. My machine is 8 years old and has performed very well apart from this occasional problem.

Re: hp psc 2210 carriage jam by Vanja (3/12/12 3:47 AM) reply + / -
Hello! Do I have such problem, dismantled a printer, collected and does not work, where is it possible to load a chart? Many thanks! If it is possible write an answer on an e-mail .

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters