fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp laserjet 4600

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp laserjet 4600 by ryan (1/4/05 5:15 PM) reply + / -
Has anyone had a problem with a hp laserjet 4600, that has blank copies? I don't see any error codes and it prints the amount of pages requested just : blank . all drums see to be blank (color)

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Scott (1/5/05 6:38 AM) reply + / -
We are having the same problem and as yet it has not been resolved. We tried replacing the high voltage pcb per the manual, but it did not cure the problem. We will try replacing the DC pcb today as per the manual and see what that does. If it fixes it, we will post another message.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Scott (1/5/05 2:08 PM) reply+1 + / -
Well, just got back from looking at the 4600 again. I pray yours is not the same problem as we found with this one. The developer disengaging plate on the left side of the printer has stripped teeth. It's like a rack on a rack and pinion steering gear. The rack is stripped. It's a buger to get to also. Am ordering a new one and hope to put in tomorrow or the next day. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dekuda (1/5/05 2:12 PM) reply + / -
Try doing a engine test by poking a paper clip thru the hole on the left side of the cover of the printer.If the engine test prints okay,you have a bad formater board. Power off the printer and try reseating the formater board.Try to print again. Let us know what happens!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Liz (1/8/05 2:15 PM) reply + / -
We have had our HP 4600 for almost a year. It has been working great until recently when we noticed that when printing our scientic graphics they were not the same color as the original file. The color-mixing seems to be all screwed up. New cartridges had been installed not that long ago. We called in a service person who said we should buy a whole set of new cartridges because he said he thought that one of them might be defective. This was just before Christmas and we said OK, let's get some new cartridges. On return to work after Christmas we waited for a couple of days, but the serviceman never returned with the cartridges. We called the service company, who said they had discussed the problem and they told us that the HP 4600 is one of the worst printers you can buy because it is sensitive to changes in humidity and these screws up the colors. I find this very hard to believe because it has been an excellent printer with great color. Now we are stuck not knowing what to do. The cartridges are not cheap and I am afraid to buy new ones and be left holding the bag! We can't just scrap an expensive printer! Does anyone know what this problem could possibly be?

Help!
Liz

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Liz (1/8/05 2:17 PM) reply + / -
We have had our HP 4600 for almost a year. It has been working great until recently when we noticed that when printing our scientic graphics they were not the same color as the original file. The color-mixing seems to be all screwed up. New cartridges had been installed not that long ago. We called in a service person who said we should buy a whole set of new cartridges because he said he thought that one of them might be defective. This was just before Christmas and we said OK, let's get some new cartridges. On return to work after Christmas we waited for a couple of days, but the serviceman never returned with the cartridges. We called the service company, who said they had discussed the problem and they told us that the HP 4600 is one of the worst printers you can buy because it is sensitive to changes in humidity and these screws up the colors. I find this very hard to believe because it has been an excellent printer with great color. Now we are stuck not knowing what to do. The cartridges are not cheap and I am afraid to buy new ones and be left holding the bag! We can't just scrap an expensive printer! Does anyone know what this problem could possibly be?

Help!
Liz

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dekuda (1/9/05 10:14 AM) reply+1 + / -
Okay Liz
Here we are getting into the very complex ( and sometimes amuzing) world of color matching and color calibrations involed in these color lasers. No,the 4600 color laser is not one of the worst you can buy. In fact,I work on many color lasers and this is a very good product. But the service person needs to know what to look for when troubleshooting color problems.
First,lets start with the basic troubleshooting. Print out a configuration page and tell me what the printer number is. It will say something like 1D or 3C. This tells us what firmware level the DC controller is. If it is old you will be able to get it covered by HP because there are known issues involved with older firmware and they should place a call for you that is covered whether your printer is under warranty or not.
Second,ask the service man if he went in and did at least two color calibrations through the control panel. If not I can help you do this.
Third, there are four colored 90 degree anges in each corner of the cofiguration page. These are your color calibration marks. You will see one yellow,one magenta,one cyan and one black. If these are not equal distance from each other or are overlapping then you have serious calibration issue with your colors.This can also be fixed.
Print out a event log and tell me if there are any errors. These color lasers will not display calibrations errors on the control panel but they will be in the event log.
Let us know what the printer number is.I will get back to you and tell you what the latest should be.If it is below revision and you are having the problems that you are having HP may pay to send a tech out to replace the DC controller.These are not flashable ( software donload) so a board haves to be replaced and color calibrations have to be done.
Many of these boards have been replaced for other problems but one of the new fixes in this firmware are for new color calibration measurements.
As you can see there is alot involved but believe me this can be fixed.
Get back to us!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dekuda (1/12/05 7:57 AM) reply + / -
Liz,
Latest printer number which is the firmware level for the DC controller should be 6D for the HP 4600.
This again is on your configuration sheet under printer number. Again there are alot of issues that are suppose to be fixed by this latest firmware in which the dc controller will need to be replaced and this may be covered by HP.It's worth a try!
If everything is okay with the printer we can look at your color settings in your driver.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Roxanne (1/24/05 2:56 PM) reply + / -
Today my Color Laserjet 4600hdn started printing black pages. Does anyone know why this may be happening? Thank you.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (1/24/05 5:00 PM) reply + / -
Printer number changes when DC controller is replaced, and sometimes when firmware on formatter is upgraded.

Printer number is 70 when a DC Controller RG5-6391-110CN is installed.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (5/14/05 11:09 PM) reply + / -
any luck with the printer. Our 4600 is still printing blank pages after replacing the formatter, dc controller, the ETB, all 4 toner cartridges, High Voltage power supply, low voltage power supply and the fuser power supply. We even called HP and they are stumped. Any luck with this problem?

Tim

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by temp0r (5/16/05 12:09 PM) reply + / -
I found that a 4600 I was working on was printing blank pages as well it would 'jam' or report a jam and stop the paper in the paper path .. for whatever reason, I dont know why ..the paper pick-up assembly needed to be replaced. It's fairly easy once you have the covers off (left side most important) the paper pick-up assmebly is located directly under the cyan cartridge, which you will have to remove to lift the assembly up and out of the printer. Careful ! on the left side burried under the covers there is a plug that connects to the dc controller board

I spent quite a while troubleshooting this one, going through all the diagnostics on the printer .. all for the paper pick-up assembly .. was unbelievalbe !

hope this helps, or you're at least able to get your hands on one to test.

regards

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by bisawest (5/16/05 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Anonymous,
Read the 3rd post down, that is what we did to fix one of these.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 blank pages by Casey (12/5/05 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Get away from the circuit boards...
I replaced 3 different boards to no avail and then found the problem.
As you are looking at the printer, open the left cover. There you will see a major gear assembly for the drums, etc.
As you try to run a print job, you will also see a linear gear moving up and down. This is opening the developer shutters and allowing developer to reach the drum (or so I believe).
Anyway, this linear gear is driven by 2 very small standard gears in order to gain it's up and down motion. Examine this long black linear gear as well as the 2 small white gears that drive this.
After battling this problem, I decided to look at this assembly to understand how it works. I found that a very small piece of the linear gear had broken a tooth and was lodged between the teeth of one of the small white drive gears, and this was not allowing the shutters to open all the way, thus resulting in mostly blank prints. I removed the piece of plastic and the problem was resolved immediately.
I imagine that the linear gear probably needs to be replaced, but at this point it is back to doing it's job just fine.
Try looking here. 95% sure this is the problem with your blank pages too.
Casey in Boise, Idaho

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Bruce in Cambridge,M (2/14/06 11:51 AM) reply + / -
I was called out to fix the HP Color Laser Jet 4600. Complaint was that the formater(pc) board was not recognizing the Jet Direct Card which I verified. I tried running an engine test but this did not do a thing. What it did do was to turn off the control panel and power on for only a few seconds and then power off again. There was paper in tray 2 as per the instructions in the HP Manual. I then replaced the formater board and this did not do a thing. Any ideas how to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (2/14/06 3:03 PM) reply + / -
Did you remove the jet direct EIO card. If that card is a 615N they have had many problems and it can short out parts of the formatter. If the printer works without the card then that is your issue. The other item is what does the display say.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (2/14/06 3:22 PM) reply + / -
Yes, the card is a LJ615n card. The printer does not work even without the card in the formatter board.
2nd issue is that I have no control panel,led lights or anything else that works.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (2/14/06 3:48 PM) reply + / -
Information is everything. If the control panel does not display anything and the engine test does not work I would lean towards the low voltage power supply as the issue.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by pmes (4/18/06 8:15 AM) reply + / -
Our red ink cartridge leaks - its been replaced 3 times with no change in the problem. Any suggestions?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (4/18/06 2:41 PM) reply+1 + / -
Magenta issue is common on this model. You will probably have to replace the dc controller. It was free under a service note for a couple of years, but I think it has now expired.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/19/06 5:52 AM) reply + / -
can you access the firmware on these printers? if so, how?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by cdhedrick (5/8/06 9:17 AM) reply + / -
I recently installed a magenta toner and a yellow toner. The magenta one installed fine, but when I went to install the yellow one, it said incorrect cartridge. It is the right one though. Anyone know what I should do about this? Thank you!

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by blackie13 (5/8/06 2:30 PM) reply + / -
The yellow cartridge might have the wrong chip on it. I had one like that from HP.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by g (10/18/06 9:23 AM) reply + / -
I have had the same problem when trying to print PDFs and Word documents. It will also spit out excessive amounts of blank pages, sometimes even printing odd characters on the top or bottom of the page. What seemed to fix it was putting a new stick of RAM into the printer.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by AnthonyA (10/18/06 3:22 PM) reply + / -
I am having an issue with an HPLJ4600 at a local hospital here... The printer would jam up and not say 'jam' radomly between the start and end of the paper path. I think it might be the DC Controller but I am not for certain on that issue.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (10/18/06 4:56 PM) reply + / -
The DC controller service note is still good through the end of 2006.

Anthony,

Your description has left me unsure of the problem, are you getting an error message on the printer when it "jams"?

Also I'm curious, where is here?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by AnthonyA (10/18/06 5:21 PM) reply + / -
It doesn't say an error or nothing, it's like it thinks the printer itself is finished printing but the paper will still be on the belt inside or close to the fuser but never left the printer. It will say ready to print or sometimes just say "printing" and it sounds like the entire 'guts' of the machine shuts down. It is very weird, I have never seen this issue before.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by AnthonyA (10/18/06 5:26 PM) reply + / -
Also here is Arkansas

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (10/18/06 5:32 PM) reply + / -
It's possible the DC controller could be bad.

Can you get it to fail printing the built in test pages?

I would be inclined to test it printing to the parallel port from a PC, if it works then it might have a JetDirect problem, (the 615N's have caused some odd problems).

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by AnthonyA (10/18/06 6:16 PM) reply + / -
Yeah the test pages have failed. It's wierd cause I got called out there to replace the fuser cause it was 'jamming' the paper. Of course when I got there the printer was off and there was a piece of paper in the fuser so I removed the fuser/paper and replaced the fuser. First print worked fine after that it just kept 'stopping' the paper before completion.

It's only connected via CAT5 cause this is a workhorse printer for like 15 workstations. I ordered a new DC Controller earlier before I posted this message so I will go ahead and try it tomorrow if that work work I will figure out a way to parallel it to a PC probably my laptop.

Thanks for your help Stephen

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (10/18/06 6:41 PM) reply + / -
Another item to consider is the fuser you just put in. I have seen over the years some really weird things happen with a defective fuser so it would not be the first time. If you can put the old one back in and see if it at least prints but just jams. If it does you may have gotten a bad or wrong fuser.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by atnonydno (1/24/07 4:52 PM) reply + / -
scott, ryan
did either of you resolvethr blank page problem???
thanh you
anthony

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by AnthonyA (1/24/07 5:16 PM) reply + / -
I apologize for not posting a fix sooner the fix was replacing the DC Controller on the HPLJ4600. An easy fix because it wasn't reaching the sensors fast enough so the printer gave up and threw a jam error.

Fixed:
Replaced DC Controller HPLJ4600

-----IN REGARDS TO MY POST OF--------
I am having an issue with an HPLJ4600 at a local hospital here... The printer would jam up and not say 'jam' radomly between the start and end of the paper path. I think it might be the DC Controller but I am not for certain on that issue.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 Orinting BLANK PAGES by anthonydno (2/1/07 2:53 PM) reply + / -
Good afternoon to all and Scott and Rayan,

Please forgive me for not following up sooner.

I had a HP 4600 that was spitting out BLANK PAGES with no ERROR MESSAGES. I looked around and made many calls and was not able to get an answer. It seems that nobody has had the problem or resolved it as of yet.

HERE is what I did (I HOPE IT WILL fix yours)I took the printer and locked myself in the room and Cried... NOT! Anyway I took a lot of time out of my day and stuied the movement of everything and after about two hours I FOUND IT!!!

It you open the front door and transfer belt and study all your cartridges, close the transfer belt VERY SLOWLY and study the movement of the DRUM COVERS on each cartridge. starting with the bottom one keeping a close eye on the way it is opening to expose the DRUM you should fine the PROBLEM.

The CAYAN cartridge on the 4600 here was not opening all the way and it needs to open si that the laser can shoot the image onto it. If it doesn't open none of the others will open either.

Email me if you want.

Anthony D Noriega
anthony@anthonydno.com

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/1/07 6:30 PM) reply + / -
The laser enters from the side of the cartridge facing in to the printer.

If the shutters do not open then the toner on the drum can't transfer to the paper. Note that if the shutters do not open you usually get paper jams.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (2/12/07 11:24 AM) reply + / -
What coes the engine test look like? I received a piece that looks like notebook paper lines in brown.

Thanks
Shary

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/12/07 5:34 PM) reply + / -
Never did one, but that sounds like what the book says to expect.

Engine test page
To verify that the printer engine is functioning, print an engine test page. Use a small pointed object to depress the test page switch located on the left side of the printer. The test page should have a series of horizontal lines. The test page can use only tray 2 as the paper source, so make sure that paper is loaded in tray

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by MikeytheK (2/23/07 8:17 PM) reply + / -
I have or I should say had a 4600n that printed blank pages.
I ran webjet admin and got all the errors that way and found
my problem,The Color registration detection assembly was bad.
I ordered the part and replaced it and I had my printer working again. The errors I got were 54.11- 16. I looked them up in my service book. The part number is RG5-6454-000CN, it can be found
on HP's Partsurfer site.
I hope this helps some of you out there

MikeytheK Printer Tech

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/24/07 5:11 PM) reply + / -
You can view the event log on a 4600 from the operator panel.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (2/24/07 7:34 PM) reply + / -
Yes Iam aware of that, I do printer maint for a Hospital and I work on 4 to 5 at a time, this way I can pull up errors with out walking over to the printer. Most people just use the control
display.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/24/07 7:42 PM) reply+1 + / -
Most of the people posting here do not have Web JetAdmin installed on their machines, so my intent was to make it plain to future readers that they did not need that program to see the event history.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by MikeytheK (2/25/07 2:02 PM) reply-1 + / -
True, but the point of my post was to report what I had done
to fix my 4600 Color Laserjet that was printing blank pages.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by RobAbbott (3/28/07 11:34 AM) reply + / -
I'm new to the board , but I have the same issue. I shot you an email explaining. I have teh part, but just can't get to the assembly to remove it. Should it just pop out or do I need to remove something else to get to it? Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (3/28/07 6:28 PM) reply + / -
http://download.yousendit.com/47FF0CB417F7B0D1

Above link has instructions in pdf format. Good Luck.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Tim Toner (8/2/07 6:03 PM) reply + / -
I have a customer that is getting a 49.FF004 error. I need to go there e get more info and I know that 49 errors are typically Firmware related. Any other thoughts?

Tim

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (8/2/07 6:45 PM) reply + / -
Disconnet the printer from the network and turn it off. Remove the network card and turn it on again and see if the error is gone. Even if not using a network if there is a nic card in the printer remove it. That printer came with the 615N card which had many problems and 49 errors are some of them. Call hp and they will replace with a 620N at no charge. Now if that is not the issue then it could be driver related also. If using pcl5 driver, try pcl6 or ps or just try a driver they are not using. Also upgrading the firmware can sometimes help.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (8/5/07 10:20 AM) reply + / -
I appreciate your input. Before I got your reply I had to go to the customer.. I was aware of the 615N problems and so replaced it with a 610N that I had. It seemded OK but later that day he called back with a 81.0180 EIO error and it was stuck in the calibration mode. I ended up replacing the formatter, upgrading the firmware and replacing the NIC. Maybe overkill but I hope it works as he is over 150 miles from the office.

I have the possibly bad 615 card. Can you assist in getting a 620? Should I try mayself to get it replaced and waht do you need as compensation if I use you?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (8/5/07 12:25 PM) reply + / -
Just call hp customer care and they should be able to help you. At the prompt just say jetdirect 615N.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (8/5/07 5:00 PM) reply + / -
If you have a bad 615N and would rather not have to go through calling HP click on the crossed tools by my name, in my profile you will find an email link, several people have shipped me bad cards, I got them replacements and shipped them back.

Stephen

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by jdbsvn (8/8/07 11:27 AM) reply + / -
I've misplaced the HP P/N for the Alienation kit. Can someone provide that for me please? Thank you

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (8/22/07 1:32 PM) reply + / -
I just have to say, all of the information on here really helped me! At my office we are getting down to a deadline to send out little booklets and for some reason our printer wasn't printing any green.

Luckily I read the post about the configuration sheet, and I was able to figure out that we were low on yellow. I thougt it was weird because we'd just replaced the yellow ink. But aparantly, one of the kids who used to work here forgot to take out the plastic ribbon in the ink!

I'm now the hero of the office! Thanks! ;-)

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by proton698 (9/25/07 8:24 AM) reply + / -
Good Day:

A question about to troubleshoot a HP laserJet 4600 printer. Issue is colors are getting mixed up when printing. Anyone point in in a direction of where the problem might be. Thanks.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Operlett (10/12/07 7:43 AM) reply + / -
I feel that i am going around the twist. Let me explain we have several 4650 and 4600 Printers. All of these have been marvellous machines and we have had very few problems. Now one of them has started to play up.
First it printed the job and then a blank sheet follwed by a sheet with the command

Error : Undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:
I checked various sites and one of the answers said it was down to device settings which Had a Send CTRL-D after each job and that had to be disabled. This done the error stopped but we then noticed on PCs running XP the Printer would not print it kept coming up with the message
Error : Unable to store job at printer
Reason: Printer not figured to Collate

Solution Install an EIO hard disk.

Now anyone printing from a 2K box prints to the printer no problem. MACS have been printing as well but the XP boxes are not any ideas would be gratefully received,

Cheers

John

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Crafty (10/17/07 9:30 PM) reply + / -
I have a 4600 that is jamming in the Fuser, depending on what the print job is. Let me explain. If I send a normal document or print out a web page or small photos, it works fine. As soon as I try to send a full page photo, it jams and reports a 13.09.00 TOP OUTPUT BIN, PAPER LATE JAM.

When I initially was called down to look at it, it had about a dozen sheets basically fused together around the fuser. Being somewhat of a novice, I cleared the paper out and it started happening again. Assuming it was a dodgy fuser, I purchased another and I am still having grief.

Can anyone suggest why it is happening only on full page photo prints? I was able to get one through it and that was a very light photo with very few dark colours if that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dave

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Operlett (10/18/07 4:24 AM) reply + / -
Yes the main problem occurred when we were doing dark full page prints. This was on a 4650 It only occurred on this machine which was strange as we have several of this model and the 4600 around our site.
We ended up replacing three fuser units and the problem still persisted. We then had to replace all the cartridges and the problem went away until the black cartridge was replaced and then it returned. We removed that cartridsge and all was going well but now the problem hsa returned. It maybe down to humidity of where the cartridges are stored . Or that the chips on the cartridges are failing.
One other thing is where is the printer located. Is it in a sunny location ??

John

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Ypshec (10/18/07 5:31 AM) reply + / -
Dave,
Do you print "small photos" and "full page photos" from the same tray?
Cheers,
YP

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Operlett (10/18/07 5:38 AM) reply + / -
Yes we do all sorts of prints from small photos to head shots to background scenery. It is only on the large dark prints when this problem occurs. It is normally from the automatic ( Tray 2) tray. This is a fairly recent occurrence so we are still dumbfounded, as our printer engineers have only encountered the problem at other sites, when the printer was using NON Hp toners, which is not the case as we only use HP cartridges.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (10/18/07 6:26 AM) reply + / -
Can you print the full page picture from the manual feed tray with no occurance?

Run a supply status page and see how much life you have left on teh Transfer belt. It may be time to change it. Also try switching it with a known working one from another printer since you have several at your site. It could be possible that the full page photos are requiring a stronger charge and delaying the timing for the exit sensor. Also have you tried to run the disabled cartridge test. this allows you to run a printed page with one or all the cartridges removed and also to insert another color into another position to see if this happens with only certian cartidges in a given spot.

Tim

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (10/18/07 7:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi Tim
Just ran the Supplies status page and the Image Transfer kit is at 52%.
I was not aware that one could run a disabled cartridge test but I will try that as well.
At the moment after this morning's glitch the printer seems to be working fine, printing out all that is being sent to it.
This is the main problem, it will operate for days on end without any problems and then it will just play up for no rhyme or reason.

I will try the options that you have suggested when the problem reoccurs and will post back the results.
Thanks for help on this

John

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (10/18/07 10:11 AM) reply + / -
If the problem is intermittent then You may also have a bad formatter or a firmware issue. Print a config page and check your firmware to the latest version online. If it is not current you may consider updating it. Read the instructions first or get your network people involved.

Tim

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by nofromofo (11/20/07 1:43 PM) reply + / -
DMZ, I read your post about bad 615n cards and hp willing to replace with 620. Is this just for 615 cards in 4600's or all HP printers in general and is HP willing to replace all 615n cards you have regardless of the printer they came from?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (11/20/07 3:01 PM) reply + / -
Yes they will if you call them and go thru some testing with each one.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (11/20/07 7:24 PM) reply + / -
You've probably already fixed this issue. I've got about 6oo HP printers under my care about 25 of them are 4600s or 4700s. This issue with the 49 errors had me pulling my hair out for weeks. The manual was of no use nor was HP. It turned out to be a faulty file that was the culprit. I've seen this problem dozens of times and if you delete the print job that is locking up the printer those 49 errors will disappear. I don't even go out to the printer now. I just have the customer delete the offending file. This has worked for several other models too.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (11/20/07 8:05 PM) reply + / -
I've replaced dozens on 615Ns, many were causing 49 errors.

ST

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (11/30/07 12:19 PM) reply + / -
My printer is just faintly printing on the right side of the page. The rest of the page looks fine. Has anyone had this problem? VP

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (11/30/07 3:29 PM) reply + / -
Go to the diagnostics menu and print the pq troubleshooting pages which will print and solid fill of all 4 colors. Does it happen to all four or just one color. Report back.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (11/30/07 3:32 PM) reply + / -
It only shows up on the black page, but when I print with color, the color prints lighter on the right side as well.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (11/30/07 3:42 PM) reply + / -
Then you just need to replace the black toner cartrdige if the cyan, megenta and yellow print ok on the soild fill sheets. If they do replacing the black will solve your problem.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (11/30/07 4:01 PM) reply + / -
That seems to have done the trick! Thank you. Now I hope I can get my supplier to replace the defective cartridge!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (11/30/07 6:08 PM) reply + / -
If the cartridge is oem hp, then if he doesnot you should contact hp.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (12/5/07 4:21 AM) reply + / -
i have a problem the printer is over toning real dark copies. i replaced the black toner cartridge. i think i will try the pca board? any ideas?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (12/5/07 2:04 PM) reply + / -
Print the PQ diagnostic pages and see if you can determine if it's just one color, or if it's multiple.

If you are using aftrmarket toners then suspect them first.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by vinoth (12/9/07 10:50 PM) reply + / -
dear john,

even i am also facing same problem please notice me if u get any solution.

thanks & regards

vinoth

hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (12/19/07 7:29 AM) reply + / -
Season's Greetings,

Ok, my 4600 is printing all of my documents that have graphics out of line when I print from Power Point. When I Adobe the file and print it, it comes out fine but it takes for ever. I would like to print from Power Point for the speed. Any ideas? Thanks guys...

Sam

hp laserjet 4600 eating ink and fading by Laney Bormel (1/8/08 12:03 PM) reply + / -
HP 4600 5 1/2 years old; 1500 copies
Sucking ink like crazy. Replaced with all new HP cartridges and did the same thing. Tech guy replaced the motherboard. No help. Now printing is bleeding and fading and still gobbling ink. And suggestions?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 eating ink and fading by Anonymous (1/8/08 5:58 PM) reply + / -
Remove the toner cartridges, this will expose two black vertical pieces of plastic attached to a shaft. These tilt the cartridges out of the way when they are not placing toner on the transfer sheet. All the 4600s I maintain, about 30 of them, have had to have these replaced for the type problems you've described. The kit for this repair is called the "alienation kit". It comes with a set of instruction that are pretty straight forward. Only after that procedure would I have replaced the Motherboard.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Laney Bormel (1/9/08 7:28 AM) reply + / -
Will do and thank you so much. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (1/9/08 11:49 AM) reply + / -
Have you solved this problem yet? I have a printer that is doing this too. You have replaced a number of parts that I hope I do not have to. There was a reply on this thread that mentioned either the paper pick up assembly or the bar on the left side of the printer that interacts with the cartridges. The relpy mentions it being like a rack and pinion arrangement.

Keep in touch

Tim Harris

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Laney Bormel (1/9/08 1:50 PM) reply + / -
Not yet, but will let you know if this works. It's an expensive machine and is invaluable and I will do whatever required to repair it; however, when you consider that HP puts out a decent color laser printer for $600-700 dollars these days, there's just so far I;m going to go in sinking money into it.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (1/11/08 8:25 AM) reply + / -
I have tried replacing both, the high voltage power supply and the DC controller pca to no avail. I still get the same result.
I am ready to replace the color registration detection ass'y next. I am doing this because the error log shows a lot of 54.14.00; 54.13.00; 54.12.00; 54.11.00 error messages which are all related to the same ass'y.
If i get good results I'll let everybody know.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (1/21/08 6:58 PM) reply + / -
Hi
Can you please tell me how to disable carteidge check on my hp 4600. I have been doing this in the past when it tells me to replace cartridge and I get many more pages out of so called "empty" cartridhges. However, something happened today and it tells me to replace 3 of the 4 carteidges, and I know at least 3 of the 4 have plenty of toner in them. I cant get in to the menu to disable diagnostic check. When I push the green button to get to the menu, it tells me the 3 cartridges are empty and to replace them! HELP!! please
Greg

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by jdbsvn (1/22/08 7:25 PM) reply + / -
The disable cartridge check isn't going to help. I would perform a "cold reset". If you are using a fixed IP address be sure you know what it is before doing this as you will lose you NIC settings.

1.Power down printer
2.Repower print and when it starts to count its memory push and hold the check button till all three lights come on.
3.At that point scroll down til you find "cold reset". Push check button to select "cold reset" then let it boot up to ready.
4.This puts the printer back to factory specs and usually clears
weird problems like the one you described.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Bill Kozie (1/23/08 8:25 AM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem as one I see above, but I see no solution. It is
Error: Unable to store job at printer
Reason: Printer not configured to collate

Solution: Install an EIO hard disk.

The printer is an HP 4600dn. It used to be in my office connected to a network and printing from Windows 98 and Windows 2000 machines. I brought it home and hooked it up to a Windows 2000 machine through the parallel port. I replaced the 2000 machine and purchased a Windows Vista machine, for which I had to go back to a network connection, since the HP does not have a USB connection.

At first everything worked fine, but I had a circuit breaker in the home overload and the printer lost power. Ever since, I receive the above error message when I try to print more than one copy.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill Kozie

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by timtoner (1/24/08 9:22 AM) reply + / -
I need a part number for an EIO USB interface card for a 4600. Anyone know what I am talking about. Please call.

Tim Harris
1-888-215-3102 or cell 812-327-4992

hp laserjet 4600 Toner leak problem by Anonymous (1/31/08 10:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have a CLJ4600 and I am experiencing the toner leak problem. I got the printer from my boss six months ago and I had the problem with the magenta first, yellow and now the black. The magenta and yellow were leaving toner on the sides of the transfer kit, but the black is actually spitting toner at the top and bottom of the page. When I changed the magenta and yellow cartridges and cleaned the transfer kit, the problem was solved. I red about the dc controller problem and checked my printer number. It is 62 with firmware datecode 20020510 03.001.0. I red about the solution of setting the tray 1 something other than plain. My tray 1 settings have been letter and plain for the last 4 months, but I still get the problem. Do I have to change the dc controller? If so where should I buy it? How can I be sure I buy a fixed one? Is it difficult to install?
One more thing. My printer does the calibration everytime I turn it on. Is it normal?
Thank you for your cooperation and help.

David

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by djc (2/8/08 1:25 PM) reply + / -
I have a HP Color Laserjet 4600dn
I am getting a erorr

ERROR: stackunderflow
OFFENDING COMMAND: index

STACK:

One page will print but the format is wrong
then it prints out a page with this error
I can print to another printer that is a 4600 with the same drivers and it works fine

Dave

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/8/08 8:19 PM) reply + / -
Bad JetDirect or Formatter.

Swap with your working machine to determine which part is bad.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (2/8/08 9:17 PM) reply + / -
Bad JetDirect or Formatter.

Swap with your working machine to determine which part is bad.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 Toner leak problem by Anonymous (2/11/08 7:34 PM) reply + / -
The tray 1 setting (any/any)initiates this problem. The waste toner portion of the toner cartridges fills and begins leaking. Once these begin leaking they are not going to ever be normal again. I think you are in over your head trying to replace the DC controller on your own even if you could get someone to sell you an upgraded one. Call HP customer support. Because of the commonality of this issue they may have some good pricing on repairs to minimize customer anger about this bad design flaw. I've repaired about a dozen of these printers. Another problem with these is the toner cartridge "alienation" parts. Every 4600 I've ever seen needs these parts replaced. This problem has been addressed on this site previously.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 Toner leak problem by timtoner (2/18/08 5:27 AM) reply + / -
Dear contact. Thank you for your input. I have done this and problem is solved. There was a broken/cracked aleination bar on the printer that I had overlooked.

Respectfully

Tim Harris

PS. Do you know of anyone who is versed on the HP 9500HDN color laser? I have a "close right front door or Right side door" message that will not go away even when they are closed. I have verified the switch and the wiring harness for continuity and replaced the DC controller to no avail. I know the signal travels through the T Drive board but do not suspece that to be the problem.

Tim Harris

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by techfast (2/26/08 12:20 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have a 4600 that is leaving magenta streaks on the backside of the pages. I have read some of what you guys have to say about this issue.

The cartridge is only half empty...the calibration seems fine to me from looking at the cofiguation page printed out, the angles are perfect in the colors printed at the corners. The printer number it gave me was 65.
Firmware data code 20020801 03.006.0

What do you suggest???

Thanks ahead of time.

Jayme

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (2/26/08 6:52 PM) reply + / -
Jayme, I think almost every 4600 has had or will encounter this type problem and like you said, most all of the fixes have been discussed in depth on this thread. In review: a. Make sure tray 1 is not set for any/any in the paper handling menu. b. Remove all the cartridges and closely inspect the "alienation" bars. They need to move freely up and down and not be cracked or have any broken tabs that secure them to the back plate. Your best bet here is to request an "alienation kit" from HP and if you have any mechanical skills, changes these parts out. c. Unfortunately that magenta cartridge has filled up the waste toner compartment and has to be replaced. d. These steps have fixed all but a few very early machines. If the problem still persists you'll have to get the DC controller replaced. I've been working with these printers for about 5 years and they are all still in service.

Re: hp laserjet 4600: prints photos too dark by bmccain (3/11/08 10:49 AM) reply+1 + / -
The printer is printing photos too dark. Is there a way to fix this?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tc95 (3/11/08 1:12 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP 4600hdn with the firmware datecode of 20041012 03.015.0...

I have replaced the part RG5-6399-030 due to the fact that it looked like one of the parts on the board actually overheated and malfunctioned...burn marks on cover and pinkish purple dust all over the board...does not look like it is from toner....

Problem: The Cyan and Magenta Cartriges were not placing ink on the right handside....once I replaced this board I saw a vast improvment over the whole machine....but the Cyan is still streeking on the left hand side...it does not lay any toner on the on test page in area A and E 1 - 6.....sorta looks like an oscillacope reading down the sides....

Should I replace the part RG5-6454-000CN .....

Thank you for your help...

Tony C.

Re: hp laserjet 4600...Printing too dark.... by tc95 (3/12/08 11:33 AM) reply + / -
bmccain,

You can try to reclaibrate the machine.....

in the menu goto configure device - print quality - calibrate now

If this does not work try to set the color density manually...we expereinced this problem with a few of the re-manufactured catridges...turns out they were not replaced with the right toner colors....so the images came out darker and in another case lighter...let us know if this works..

Tony C.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 Issues.... by tc95 (3/12/08 2:32 PM) reply + / -
Ok everyone...just wanted to post my issue and resolution just in case someone else come across this....

Problem was stated on 3/11/08 above....

OK this is what I can figure out....part number RG5-6399-030 Power Supply Ass'Y....went out (all the smoke was let out of the unit) this in turn took out the part RG5-6454-000 which in turn took out the magenta and cyan cartriges...would only print on part of the page...and you would have lines and white area on the sides....

ON the part RG5-6399-030 there are two voltage regulators that are on the front left side if you are facing the front of the printer...what I can tell is on of those control two of the cartriges the first one or the RL1 part controls the Black and Yellow cartrige and the RL201 controls the cyan and magenta cartrige....RL201 is the one that went bad on our board....

RG5-6399-030 took out Registration Detection Ass'Y RG5-6454-000.. we replaced this piece only after we were still having an issue with the blue cartrige after RG5-6399-030 was replaced. We put in a new set of cartriges into the machine and it seems that the part RG5-6454-000 caused an issue with the actual cartriges so when we replaced that part the cartriges were still having an issue...once replaced the cyan and magenta cartriges everything printed fine.....

I hope I put enough detail to help anyone else that might be experincing these issues.....also I do not have a problem with someone contacting me if I can help in any way....

Last note I purchased my parts from a company out of Cananda that saved me over 100.00 total...Computer Parts Alliance www.cpainc.ca.....(905)-479-5252 ext 116.....
Part RG5-6454-000 Hp Price 125.00 from cpainc $50.00 New
Part RG5-6399-030 Hp Price 148.00 from cpainc $95.00 New

I hope this helps someone out....Tony C. tony@rehouston.com

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by julie604 (3/14/08 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Has anyone seen a problem with the HP 4600 color calibration? Each color on the page had a blue tint to it.

Demo page - looked very blue - everything had blue in it. It's not a cartridge problem, tho - the white part of the page remained white. I switched the blue cartridge out and it looked the same. Hard reset led to everything looking very red (magenta on everything), but the cyan's correct. Hard reset - yellow is in everything, magenta and cyan are fine.

Even when I went into the menu and reduced the density of each of the colors, it made no difference.

Is it the color registry accessory? What else can I try?

Thanks!

Re: hp laserjet 4600....Color issue... by tc95 (3/14/08 5:58 PM) reply + / -
Are they genunine cartriges...?? I have had this problem in the past with cartriges that are re-manufactured.....and had to change vendors due to the fact that they changed the type of color they put in...

You can try switching the cartriges around....this should tell you if it is an individual cartrige or if it is the location to which it is in....

Menu - Diagnostic - Disable cartrige check.... (This will allow you to change the cartriges around inside the machine..then just print pages like usual...or you can run the demo...until you cancel the Disable Cartrige Check)

Have you tried a complete system reset....this will get rid of your tcp/ip settings but might bring it back to a base...that you can work from....

If that does not work....take out everyone of your cartriges...and on the left side you will see a clear square towards the back of the cartrige...this is a sensor...clean this with rubbing alcohol and make sure you do not get any in the cartrige...also take a qtip and clean the coresponding sensor on the machine same place left side inside the cartrige bay....I would use a little alcohol on the qtip but make sure it is not dripping off of it...I think the sensor is for density and color saturation....(I could be wrong)

Hope this helps out....if not I do have a copy of the tech manual on PDF it is 16megs....

Let us know..

Tony C.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by RandyC (3/31/08 4:01 PM) reply + / -
Hi, I have a 4600dn and it keeps counting down the pages for a new transfer kit. But I put in a new transfer kit and it still counts down. Perhaps I installed it wrong? Everything is working fine otherwise. Is there some way to reset this?

Thanks!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (3/31/08 5:36 PM) reply + / -
Among the menu options there is a "resets menu", inside that there are several items you can reset. One of those listed is transfer kit. Just answer the questions and you'll get it reset. Sometimes it take a couple tries. The fuser kit resets the same way.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by randyc (3/31/08 6:06 PM) reply + / -
Thanks!!!! That was it. Simple but I had no idea.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by NR11 (4/3/08 2:28 PM) reply + / -

I have a HP Color Laserjet 4600dn
I am getting a erorr

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

no offending command listed and nostack listed. This is also accompanied by a blank page. I get the print out of what was intended but it is a huge waste of paper.

Thanks in advace for any help!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/4/08 8:19 PM) reply + / -
1. Does this error occur for everything you print?

2. Does it occur when you do a configuration page?

3. Are you printing through a network or directly from a PC or laptop?

4. Do you know how to do a "cold reset" on the printer?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by NR11 (4/7/08 6:32 AM) reply + / -
1. Yes everything printed is followed by one blank page and one page with the described message. If the printing document has 10 pages, 30 pages will come out.

2. Not with a configuration page.

3. Networked to about 20 people

4. I assume a cold reset is the same as a hard reset?

Thank you so much for the respone and any help!

NR

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/7/08 7:11 PM) reply + / -
On the left side cover there is a small hole. Stick a paper clip or tooth pick in that hole and hold it for a couple seconds until the printer start to printer. This test print is totally generated internally. If this prints without the blank page and error page then the problem is not being generated by the printer but is a function of the network and most likely the print server. Is everyone having that same problem?

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/25/08 11:09 AM) reply + / -
Try a cold reset yet?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by deputy chief (5/2/08 8:27 PM) reply + / -
How do I check the ip address of the hp?
I think it lost the ip after a storm

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (5/2/08 8:54 PM) reply + / -
Go to the information menu and choose to print the second item which is the configuration page. You should get two pages and the second page will have the network settings including the ip address.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (5/2/08 8:54 PM) reply + / -
Go to the information menu and choose to print the second item which is the configuration page. You should get two pages and the second page will have the network settings including the ip address.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by ivy88888 (5/13/08 9:33 PM) reply + / -
Hi, the pages print out from my hp laserjet 4600, they have yellow,magenta & cyan color stick on the front&back page. After i have replaced the new transfer kit, problem is still the same.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (5/14/08 2:06 AM) reply + / -
Check the allienation bars behind the toner cartridges. If one or both of them break it will cause this type of problem. The bars are the black plastic ones and you have two of them.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by statewide (5/19/08 1:55 PM) reply + / -
My hp4600 has a cyan line on everything I print that goes from top to bottom. I wiped down all the inside and removed the cartridge and wiped off, not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (5/19/08 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Go to the diagnostics menu and disable the cartridge check. Now move the cyan toner to the magenta slot and the magenta to the cyan slot and print again. If the cyan still has an issue, then replace the toner cartridge. If the magenta now has an issue one the springs on the left side has probably come off.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tufbnme (6/12/08 5:27 PM) reply + / -
I have a 4600 that will not initialize. When powered up it counts the memory and then the display only shows 2 rows of stars. I suspect that it is not warming up but shouldn't it throw a code if it doesn't? The fuser is warm but not hot, I can touch the roller.
Thanks

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (6/12/08 7:32 PM) reply + / -
If it has a JetDirect card installed, try taking it out. Leave printer off for 10 minutes and power it up. Those printers came with 615N cards and they cause all kinds of weird issues.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (6/13/08 7:29 AM) reply + / -
You can also take out the board that has the memory on it and check to make sure everything is secure, also make sure and remove all the dust in that compartment and re-install the board.

We had a similar incident about 3 years ago, when we moved the printer to a different office. Seems someone jarred the printer hard enough and just taking everything out and putting it back in helped it.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tufbnme (6/16/08 9:40 AM) reply + / -
It was a bad Jet direct, Thanks for all your help.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (6/20/08 10:56 AM) reply + / -
You may have already eliminated the problem (or the printer), but I wanted to let you know I was having the same issue and to share with you what I did to correct it.

I was able to stop the jamming by adjusting the Y Registration to -5. No jamming since.

Joe
http://www.roocomputers.com

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (6/20/08 11:48 AM) reply + / -
Just to clarify...The problem I have fixed with the Y Registration change was "jamming in the fuser with dark photos". You may have to change the Registration to -10 as I have had to do for another customer of mine.

The Color Registration Detection part#RG5-6454-000CN may be the cause of the problem, but I have not had a customer interested in replacing the part to find out since the Y registration change has been working.

Joe
http://www.roocomputers.com

Re: hp laserjet 4600DN by eddie81904 (7/3/08 4:28 PM) reply + / -
hello i also am having a proble with my laserjet 4600DN
her is what is happening to me if i do any menu setting pages and the test page after the install it prints fine if i send anything else it comes out blank (TEXT) now if i print a picture it looks good i dont have the cd for the unit but i have tryed every driver i have also tryed a new formatter board and the same thing i am working with directjet card #600 this is like a intermiting issue

HP4650 color registration problem by WWA (7/4/08 8:02 AM) reply+1 + / -
I have a HP460 that has registration problems. When I print a PQ Troubleshooting page, the black printing looks to be up about 1/8", so either the black cartridge is printing high or all of the other cartridges are printing low. I've cleaned the registration "windows", replaced cartridges, swapped cartridges (after disabling cartridge check) and have the same results. I have done the DC reset (poking the whole on the left side of unit.) and done a full calibration 3 times in a row. Also did a cold reset followed by 3 full calibrations...same problem. I think I need to replace something, but solutions I've read have run the gamut from the color registration assembly to the high voltage power supply. On the event log page the majority of errors are CPR sensor out of range, 54.0F, 54.10, 54.11, 54.12 and 54.1E.07. Help? I print for a non profit and have 8000 pieces to print by next Tuesday. (My luck it's a holiday weekend!!)

Thanks in advance.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Ozaman (7/8/08 12:27 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP LJ 4600 with a jet direct card. It prints sometimes small documents and typically just stores the print jobs of 20 pages or more or even complex print jobs on the print server. When I remote into the print server I see a message that there was a problem printing either because the printer is behind a firewall or connected to a VPN??? It used to work find so my assumption is the NIC card has gone wacko. But how come it will still print if i click ok on that weird firewall/vpn message on the print server. It is as if it just wants to hold on to the print job until I click ok on that error message. weirdo printer!!!

won't recognize yellow cartridge by graciegal (8/25/08 5:57 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi all! What a great site -- definitely bookmarked~

We just got a 4600dn off ebay and been waiting a week for toner so we can actually get it going. We got it today (its not HP, but refurbed from Imagine Office Supplies) and the yellow cartridge is not being recognized. We did the cold reset a few times to no avail. We can't even install without printing the IP address and now it looks like we'll be another week+ out, if it's a toner issue.

Do you guys think it's a cartridge issue? Its also now (for some reason) saying that black and magenta is missing, but it's been OK with them before.

We also have magenta that spills. Is that a toner cartridge issue too?

We're super sadly frustrated with this thing :(

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (9/8/08 8:18 AM) reply + / -
Replaced the image transfer kit and turned back on and it did not display the new transfer kit = it just tells me to order transfer kit and that I have 4890 pages left. How can I get this reset?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (9/8/08 10:33 AM) reply + / -
Scroll through the menus until you find the "resets" menu. Enter that and you'll find the reset options for both the transfer kit and the fuser kit.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by graciegal (9/14/08 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Got that fixed... it was the cartridge, but now the printer is "forgetting" that it is on the network and we have to re-fix the printer every day, like it's not recognizing its on the network and then we have no way of accessing it!

Is this the same problem as people are saying about the network cards inside being bad?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (9/14/08 6:57 PM) reply + / -
If that is your original HP network card then it is very likely the problem. I've replaced dozens of them on 4600s. HP knows they are bad and will exchange them for free after you suffer through there extensive troubleshooting procedures. Good luck.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by KevinK (12/16/08 11:24 AM) reply + / -
I have a HP color LaserJet 4600n that when it prints it "grabs" several pieces of paper and these stick together when it prints. I have tried changing the paper (heavier and lighter pound) but it still takes up several pieces of paper per printed page, albeit intermittently. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 - colorproblems by KlausS (1/10/09 3:35 AM) reply + / -
Hi guys!
I have a hp color laserjet 4600 (using parallel port LPT1) and everytime i print pictures, their quality is just horrible, it seems like in the black areas of the pics grey and red/pink dust is in certain areas. When I print out the config and status pages, there is absolutely NO problem, everything is fine, also the whole testpage printout (also with the 90degrees parts in every corner). I already tested every driver I found online (PCL5, PCL6). When I print out normal office documents, its no problem. The status of the cartridges is nearly full.
Please can some one help me?

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 - colorproblems by Anonymous (1/10/09 8:20 AM) reply + / -
KlausS,

I had the same problem....do you have a USB cable...???...that you can plug-up to the printer???

I would try this first...if your printer is a series N which has the network card, I would just plug it up to the network....and see if your prints come out better....

The other thing is to try a hard reset of the printer I think you can scroll-up and read about how to do that.....you just might have a miscomunication problem....

Lastly...which software are you using to print....??? IE what are you using to view, edit, and print the pictures....it might be an issue with the software and the printer....??

Good Luck..

Tony C.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (1/10/09 8:24 AM) reply + / -
KevinK,

You need to clean the rubber feet that grab the paper...just get an old t-shirt and wet it and clean the rollers...sounds like you just have paper-lint on the roller and they are not doing a good job of grabbing one sheet....happens to everything...I have to clean our scanner (sheet-fed) at least once every other month...

Hope this helps..

Tony C.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (1/10/09 11:29 AM) reply + / -
Mulitpaging on this printer is never caused by the pickup rollers, in fact multipaging is very caused by pickup rollers. On this printer it is caused most times by the backstop in the paper tray not being correctly seated for the size of the media. There is marking on the tray for each size and an arrown on the backstop that has to line up with it. There are two roller at the top of the paper tray which can sometimes get slick and cleaning them can sometimes help but the major cause is the backstop on the tray.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by nivek (edited 1/10/09 11:18 PM) reply-1 + / -
I will add that KevinK doesnt say what tray he is having the issue out of. For cassette tray go with DMZ's advice for manual feed tray you probably need a new seperation pad. I have a few customers who use this tray all the time so when they call about a tray issue I have to verify what tray they are talkingabout.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K90

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by KlausS (1/11/09 2:11 AM) reply + / -
Hi Tony C.!

Thanks for your answer.
Its a normal 4600 (no network, or something else), just with a parallel port. I am sure it doesn't stem from any software, because its everywhere the same (word,excel,pdf,photoshop,etc.)
Maybe I should try to get a usb cable for that, haven't tried before yet. I also tried to print (by parallel port) using another PC and I still get the same results. BTW I tried to hard reset several times without any success.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tk55 (2/10/09 1:37 PM) reply + / -
refering to the 3rd post down:

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Scott (1/5/05 2:08 PM) reply +1 + / -
Well, just got back from looking at the 4600 again. I pray yours is not the same problem as we found with this one. The developer disengaging plate on the left side of the printer has stripped teeth...................

and then a few posts further down:

Re: hp laserjet 4600 blank pages by Casey (12/5/05 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Get away from the circuit boards...
I replaced 3 different boards to no avail and then found the problem.
As you are looking at the printer, open the left cover. There you will see a major gear assembly for the drums, etc...........

i've run into one yesterday with this problem and just after some advises from those who have done this before.

is there any alignment thing going on in there, or is it a straight forward tear down, replace, and rebuilt job? is there any tricky stories that i need to know before taking it apart?

been bitten before by hp colour laserjet machine with assembly that requires alignment. so just want to be cautious here. thanks.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tk55 (2/10/09 2:33 PM) reply + / -
nevermind. found this other thread with the answer......

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/58811

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (3/2/09 7:39 AM) reply + / -
it can be 1 of 2 things it could be that your DC controller board has gone out or your High voltage Power supply could have gone out or is bad. most of the time its the High voltage power supply.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Alabama3c (3/21/09 6:18 AM) reply + / -
51.1 Laser beam detect error
Clean laser beam reference mirror and associated components or replace laser assembly

Can anyone tell me how to replace or clean the laser beam?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Mergimeg (3/26/09 11:44 AM) reply + / -
We have similar problems, blank copies, if I print through Photoshop or Quark, I get random lines, error massages like
"PCL XL error
Subsystem: IMAGE
Error: MissingData
Operatior: ReadImage
Position: 757"
or
"Error Detected from Picture-Box
Error: undefined
OffendingCommand: Data"

or parts of the image would come out clear parts would be sandy pixels, or part of the image would just print.
I don't think the network card is communicating correctly with the computer.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Stephen (3/26/09 11:46 AM) reply + / -
It could be the JetDirect, (especially if it's a 615N), or it could be a formatter problem.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by fc (3/30/09 8:59 PM) reply + / -
We have one of these in a student computer lab (both Mac and PC); all print jobs go to a print server before being released for printing.

Whenever someone prints full color and full page, the printer tends to jam in the fuser area. Removing the paper doesn't fix it; the printer will jam again in the same area after the document is resent.

Has anyone seen this problem? And how was it fixed?

Only genuine HP toner is used, no 3rd party.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by nivek (3/31/09 10:05 AM) reply + / -
Yeah Ive seen it. Tried two different fuser same result. Mine was with a library that was making DVD covers for there movies and mainly happened with extremely dark covers. Too much toner was on the paper cuasing it to stick to the fuser fixing film and get caught on the upper exit/pick guide or wrap around the fuser. Solution was to bend the metal down that the exit guide fits on so it was just above the fixing film so the paper didnt have a chance to get wrapped around inside. Hope that helps.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by bownut61 (4/1/09 6:49 PM) reply + / -
i am working on a 4600 that prints very light blue color. the othe colors are fine but not much blue. i have cleaned the connection between the ETB and the printer. i have changed the color registration detection assembly and also the dc controller pca. nothing has change the print quallity i have tried 2 new blue toners they all print the same. would the high voltage pca cause only one color to be light. or am i looking in the wrong direction??

any sugestion would be great

thank you for your help!!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by nivek (4/2/09 8:40 AM) reply + / -
I would check the laser/scanner if you have done all that. You can switch the scanners around and see if the defect follows. Or it just might be dirty.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/4/09 3:37 PM) reply + / -
i tried the advice from nivek. i moved the laser/scanner unit to a different slot. i get the same result. the blue is very light in color to the point of not even being visible. i am still at a lose on what next to check.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (4/10/09 2:59 PM) reply + / -
Bill,

Have you resolved your problem?
I have a HP 4600 doing exactly the same thing.

I scratching my head and wondering what to do.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (5/26/09 1:23 PM) reply + / -
Hello,

I'm getting the same error:

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

I put the paperclip in the left side...it printed out 1 page with horizontal lines...no writing.

Any idea how to fix this?

This too is a networked printer.

Thanks in advance?

Kim

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by prntrfxr (6/11/09 9:08 AM) reply + / -
blow out the laser scanner slit behind the blue cartridge in the toner cavity. If toner gets in there it blocks the laser making a color light. If that does not fix the problem try replacing the laser scanner for that color (take to a technician if you are not one as incorrect replacement procedure will cause permanent alignment issues that will render printing useless.) All of the scanners in the 4600's are the same part number as they are identical.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by nivek (6/11/09 9:39 AM) reply + / -
I will only say the first one I did I didnt get it in correctly and had an alignment issue. Took it out reseated and was good to go. If you have a hammer in your tool kit I think you can screw the alignment up permanently if you can get to the laser scanner to remove it your qualified.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 blank pages by pdmayer (6/15/09 11:50 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your help. I am getting all blank pages, even with the engine test. I replaced the Formatter and DC controller, which didn't help. The linear assembly had some teeth missing. Should print again if I can get the part. Thanks again.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dpanchak (6/27/09 5:13 AM) reply + / -
I just fixed the blank pages problem. It was blank pages for all prints: including config and engine test, and the toner levels showed up fine. And everything looked to operate perfect. (I found the problem thanks to Casey in Boise, Idaho.) Open the side panel (if facing the printer the left panel). You have to take the front down, top off and back off to get to it. Anyways...as Casey Writes:

There you will see a major gear assembly for the drums, etc.
As you try to run a print job, you will also see a linear gear moving up and down. This is opening the developer shutters and allowing developer to reach the drum (or so I believe).
Anyway, this linear gear is driven by 2 very small standard gears in order to gain it's up and down motion. Examine this long black linear gear as well as the 2 small white gears that drive this.
After battling this problem, I decided to look at this assembly to understand how it works. I found that a very small piece of the linear gear had broken a tooth and was lodged between the teeth of one of the small white drive gears, and this was not allowing the shutters to open all the way, thus resulting in (all) blank prints. I removed the piece of plastic and the problem was resolved immediately. (the piece was merely a sliver and wouldn't garner attention otherwise)
I imagine that the linear gear probably needs to be replaced, but at this point it is back to doing it's job just fine.
Good luck,
Doug Panchak, So Cal

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (7/25/09 6:04 AM) reply + / -
Hi
my HP 4600 wont turn on. the only thing that is working is the fan at the back of the printor. Dose anyone have this problem before?
cheers!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tulsa4600 (9/3/09 4:17 PM) reply + / -
I have an HP 4600HDN and I recently bought a new black toner prematurely because the printer said that the other one was empty after about 2,000 pages, so I thought maybe the toner had gone bad. So after buying and placing the new toner in the printer it tells me that I only have 600 pages left on this toner, which is ridiculous seeing as the toner is suppose to last 9,000. The color toners have no problem or page count issues. Any ideas as to what this problem is? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (9/3/09 4:38 PM) reply + / -
The page count is stored on a chip in the cartridge. You can run the hp 4600 without chips. You need to "disable cartridge check" in the diagnostics menu on the control pannel. The printer will then bypass the chips. Be aware that there will be no toner level warning so you have to keep your eye on the print quality. All the toners will then run until they are actually empty of toner, not what the perceived page count tells the printer to shut the cartrige down. Like I said, you have to watch the print closely to see if the colors run out. There are also after-market chips available. Don't know whether the cartridges you're using are new OEM or remanufactured. That would have some bearing on it as they might have refilled it but not replaced the chip.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tulsa4600 (9/3/09 4:57 PM) reply + / -
First off, thank you very much for your response Moe. Just to make sure I have this right, after I disable the cartridge check the printer should not show any toner levels or it still will?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by techsd (10/7/09 6:08 PM) reply + / -
HP 4600. prints dark (config sheet should shows different shades of 4 boxes of all colors) - so it only looks like 2 different shades of each color) PRT has HP cartridges new - done recalibrate (quick and long) - NVRAM reset - cold reset - DC reset - printer reset. I have changed print quality to -5 and is a little better but still to dark. Black didn't need quality reduced. self test pages are good quality ...but DARK. Any Ideas?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (10/7/09 6:20 PM) reply + / -
My 4550 had the same exact problem. I worked on it for half a day and tried everything. Gave up, turned it off and went home. When I came back the next day it was working perfect. That was 2 or 3 years ago. Hasn't happened again.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 dark image by Anonymous (10/8/09 8:30 PM) reply + / -
The dark image problem above turned out to be a High Voltage Power supply. When fix they thought it was to light because they were used to the heaver/darker colors so I had to turn the colors up to +2. Weird tho how the black was OK but all 3 colors were to dark. Anyway FIXED Thanks for the input.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (12/2/09 6:53 PM) reply + / -
What formatter version do I have? On the configuration page from my 4600, it has the following info:

Formatter Number: A600C69
Formatter Datecode: 20061010 03.016.0
Service ID: 12244

None of this matches what was posted way up the page. Is it one that would still be covered even though the printer is out of warranty, and is HP still doing that?

Also, what kind of "Painfull Troubleshooting" does HP put you throguh for the jetdirects? I have two Jetdirect 615N's, one that hasn't been used for some time and one that was in my 4550. The one that was in my 4550 seems to work ok, but the printer has started doing wierd things on occasion such as coming out of power save for no reason.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (12/2/09 7:06 PM) reply + / -
Is there any way to clean up the image drums in the cartriges to fix toner spots and streaks? I just picked up this printer, and all the cartriges have 40%+ remaining, but they all put lines or spots on the pages. The cyan is the only one that's fairly clean.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Robbie N (1/19/10 8:40 AM) reply + / -
Concerning the error:

Solution: Install an EIO hard disk.

I got this error printing off a newer computer I have. I troubleshooted several different items and finally figured out it was a Windows 7 & Windows Vista driver issue.

I can print multiple copies fine from a machine running Windows XP or earlier, but for some reason the new operating systems are generating this error.

Hope this helps.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by exiledinpa (1/27/10 7:49 PM) reply + / -
Just bought used HP4600 only 100 page print count. Installed Direct Jet 620 hooked up to network. Pages print with a 5/8 inch vertical streak down left hand side of paper approximately one inch in, and fine lines of red and yellow running horizontal eveningly spaced down the page. Opened front and noticed traces of the vertical streak running up the face of each cartridge. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Anonymous (1/27/10 9:05 PM) reply + / -
thin vertial streaks are usually bad toner (dont believe the page count - it can be changed easily)- the 5/8" streak could be the fuser (on top with two blue thumb screws) pull it out and see if it is scratched... you can also clean the big black belt in front (damp rag), run the print quality test and see if trouble is on all pages or just a color - replaced as needed. If printer is NOT junk - the only things it takes to keep them running is new toners, fuser, and transfer belt. Its just that each of these parts are not cheap - even if trouble shooting

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by need help in MA (2/8/10 7:30 PM) reply + / -
need help with blank pages. replaced the sensor. seemed logical. I had the 54 errors stored too. the shutters seem to be opening fine. not sure what to test next.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by card6604 (3/1/10 7:14 AM) reply + / -
I have a problem with cyan being place on the back side of the paper. I have tried a new cartridge after seeing that a non oem unit was installed. same problem. tried a new transfer belt. same problem.
now the printer is telling me that the catridge is empty.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 remain in calibration mode by wjackson95 (3/1/10 2:10 PM) reply + / -
HP Color laserjet 4600 printer remains in calibration mode until I open top cover and then it show ready. I send print job and printer recognizes it, light blinks but document never prints. I did a cold reset. The printer no longer has an EIO card.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (3/1/10 6:26 PM) reply + / -
This usually happens when the printer can not calibrate due to one of the toner cartridges being bad. When the printer comes to ready, go to the diagnostics menu and choose the item disable cartridge check and when in diagnostics mode go to the same menu and print the pq troubleshooting pages and see if they help.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Spy Ky (3/2/10 4:18 PM) reply + / -
How to fix toner (Magenta) leak in HP4600...
I have read and tried everyone methods (dc controller, replacing toner, & adjust paper sheet type) of resolving toner leak. The answer to everyone's problem, is to " check & replace the the two black alienation plates (1.5" wide by 10" long, strips are vertical position, held by 2 phillips screws)" located on the back wall after removing all 4 toner cartridges. I found that the plate had cracked and didn't allow the toner to close properly. I temporary superglued the part back and order a new kit (Q3668-67925 $19.99 + s/h). Problem solved.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (3/2/10 6:03 PM) reply + / -
Spyky,

You are posting to every thread regarding the magenta issue on the 4600. For your information the alienation bars problem probably only occurs maybe less than 5% of the time to cause this issue and when they go bad you can get more than just magenta, but can get cyan and yellow bands on both the front and back of the paper. Do not mislead others as 95% of the time it is a dc controller issue and/or paper settings for tray 1. I know you feel good that you found the solution to your problem and want to pass it on, but you will be costing many money and time when they can solve their issue with a simple printer setting change. Generally when the alienation bar causes your problem the toner cartridge is not destroyed as it is when the dc controller/paper settings cause the issue.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Spy Ky (3/3/10 11:15 PM) reply + / -
Davidzuts, dmzcompute
Yes, I posted every thread regarding hp4600 magenta toner leak issue, because what I posted is a "S-O-L-U-T-I-O-N" to the question. People are asking for answers/solutions! How can I be misleading or causing other to spend money and wasting there time??? By my calculations $20+s/h is way cheaper than replacing a dc controller & toner $300+s/h. I dont work for HP or nor am I a Printer Technician or a person who fixes printer for a living. Sorry for suppling a solution that might affect your financal hardship or business. I resolve my toner leak issue by replacing the alienation plates. Enough said...Say what you want, facts are facts!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Mike876 (3/15/10 7:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a 4600 it prints everything great except microsoft office word doc. they fade on the right side of the paper. Has anyone have a problem like this one. Thanks for any help.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by DougK (4/9/10 4:32 PM) reply + / -
I went to incress my memory today in my 4600. I found some 256 sdram 133;s. I put them in, now, I get only sound of it warming up, No lights, no display panel. I have taken out the network card and still the same thing. Also put back the original memory, same thing. Any suggestions?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (4/9/10 8:02 PM) reply + / -
Did you remove all the added memory. There are 5 slots with one being a 100 pin slot. You can only use 4 of the 5 slots. Make sure you put back the original memory and did not include any of the added ones that did not work. Also make sure you are inserting the formatter correctly. Look at the end and you will see the connector that has to mate with a like connector inside the formatter cavity.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dougk (4/9/10 8:07 PM) reply + / -
I read through some of the other posts.
Out of the 5 sdram slots, only three are usualbe. one holds the firmware. Once i put that modual in the first position, and the 256's in slots 2 and 3, it booted right up.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by osubuc90 (7/12/10 1:27 PM) reply + / -
When I print a document/spreadhseet/slides the printer prints from Tray 2, which is good. When I print an e-mail, it prints from, Tray 1, which is manual feed, and NOT good. How do I change?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by imamac (9/23/10 9:57 AM) reply + / -
Our office recently aquired a 4600dn which has similar problems to those noted above. The exception is that it's not Magenta, its the Yellow. Every sheet printed has repeating yellow smudges (dots) going vertically on the page. The back also has a light vertical streak. We don;t print from tray one. Does this sound like the "dc controller issue" or something else?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by KSenior (11/10/10 6:17 AM) reply + / -
My HP 4600 will not print more that one page at a time. The second page that comes out says
Solution: Install an EIO hard disk

I am not familiar with EIO Hard disk. what is it how do I fix?

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by adan11 (1/18/11 8:25 PM) reply + / -
How do I know if my printer can print on both sides of paper (duplexing). The person that sold it to me said this is a HP 4600DN, but I do not see dn anywhere.

Thank you.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by adan11 (1/25/11 8:55 PM) reply + / -
My laserjet 4600 is printing a black strip on the back of the paper.
even if it is on the back, I can see the line on the front as well, so the prints are not any good, specially when I want to print a few hundreds for a job assignment.

The cartridge is about 90% full

I cleaned the 4 cartridges, and still get the line. (1" thick all across vertically)

please help.

Thank you.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Kathi Alexis (2/7/11 4:53 PM) reply + / -
I replaced my JetDirect card. I am not sure if I need to do something to the 4600dn to get the new JetDirect card to work.
I downloaded a diagnostic from HP, and my printer was recognized, but it refuses to print anything. The data light does not come on. The 4600dn is on a network. The printer prints out the diagnostic sheet and everything seems fine on the printer panel, but I cannot get anything to print from my computer, or from the other computers on the network.
Is there a procedure to go go through when ones installs a new JetDirect card?
Kathi A.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 color registration by gwfulton (3/5/11 10:08 AM) reply + / -
I have a problem with color registration. It started occurring after I had to replace a laser/scanner unit (yellow). We calibrated the printer and even initiated a cold start but still the color is out of sequence. I suspect that the laser scanners got out of alignment in the replacement process. The service manual said to be sure to place the cardboard spacer under the printer frame before removing the laser/scanner unit; however, the replacement part from fixyourownprinter.com did not come with the spacer, so we approximated with books to keep the frame from flexing.

The Event log page list "CPR sensor out of range" Does this mean that the color plane registration unit is defective or is it flagging this because of the problem with the laser/scanner units are out of sequence?

How do I go about getting the color in registration again?

thanks,
Garry

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (3/5/11 12:11 PM) reply + / -
You didn't get the replacement scanner from us. It's not something we ever stocked, so I ran a check of the database to make sure.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 Storage write fail by Christopher Dias (3/23/11 11:16 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I am having a problem with our Laserjet4600dn in that a message appears on the dialog screen display saying "68.0 Permanent Storage Write fail. Even after resetting and restarting.

Any help will be much appreciated
Chris

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (3/23/11 5:23 PM) reply + / -
Perform a nvram reset:

NVRAM initialization
CAUTION Initializing NVRAM resets the serial number, the event log, the page counts, the
calibration settings, and the EIO card. Use the Service menu to restore the serial number and
page counts. You also need to reconfigure any computers that print to this printer to recognize
the printer. Initialize NVRAM only when absolutely necessary. In most situations, use a cold
reset to reset printer variables but still retain the needed values in the Service menu.
Before initializing NVRAM, print a configuration page and a supplies status page to gather the
following information:
NOTE NVRAM initialization does not always clear all color plane registration (CPR)
problems. If after an NVRAM initialization, CPR problems persist, see Resetting the calibration
values for the DC controller.
Total page count and color page count
Transfer kit count
Fuser kit count
Serial number
To initialize NVRAM
1 Turn the printer on and watch the control-panel display.
2 When the display shows the memory count, press and hold the down arrow until all three lights on the control panel are lit.
3 Press the up arrow.
4 Press PAUSE/RESUME (HP Color LaserJet 4600 models) or MENU (HP Color LaserJet 4610n and 4650 models). The message SKIP DISK LOAD appears on the control-panel display.
5 Press the up arrow until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.
6 Press the check mark button. The printer initializes NVRAM and then continues its power-on sequence.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Christopher Dias (3/24/11 6:34 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your suggestions... I will try this out and let you know what occurs

Chris

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by gwfulton (3/24/11 7:13 AM) reply + / -
Moe,

Sorry, you are correct, we purchase the replacement part elsewhere.

Garry

Your New posts or Answers to old.. by JStarr (3/25/11 6:59 AM) reply + / -
To everyone:

If you are adding a new question, please put "NEW QUESTION" before you start typing so we can see it quickly. Also, if you need help, don't just leave a blank user name. Give us a way of identifying you so other people can track a fix.

If you are answering a question, please copy the persons name and include it in the response "i.e. RE: JDoe". Or you can just hit the reply button at the end of the line of the person you are responding to. This way we don't have multiple people answering different questions all at the same time. It can get a little confusing.

If you have a gripe about someone's answer to you just let it go. Opinions are just opinions, not facts. People will make up their own minds about your post. And if they decide to not take your advice.. no sweat.

Finally, please be patient and don't hit the post button multiple times. You end up posting the same thing over and over.

Just a few suggestions to help us navigate the forum...

Good luck with you printers! They're great when they're working, but can be a pain when not.
And thanks to everyone for your help so far.

No Subject by JStarr (3/25/11 11:36 AM) reply + / -
Instructions taken from http://h20000.www2.hp.com

PLEASE NOTE: #8 on the reference site I've listed above was just a "less detailed" repeat of what they say in numbers 9-12. It has been removed for this post and numbers 9-13 on the reference site have been renumbered below.

Please read all instructions before trying this fix.

If your HP Color LaserJet 4600 or Color LaserJet 5500 is producing blank pages, first verify that all clear tape has been removed from the print cartridges. If not, the tape may be preventing toner from reaching the paper. If the tape has been removed, perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Open the Front top and lower panels of the printer and then open and close the ETB (Electrostatic Transport Belt, black assembly that is exposed when the front of the printer is open).

2. Verify that the print cartridge shutters open and close in unison with the movement of the ETB.

3. Remove all the print cartridges and ETB. To remove the ETB, do the following:

___a. Locate the blue release buttons on either side of the transfer unit (near the bottom of the transfer unit).

___b. Grasp the transfer unit with two hands. Simultaneously press in the blue buttons on either side of the transfer unit and slide the unit out of the printer.

4. Verify that the cartridge shutters open when you move the lever up and down on the left side of the print cartridge.

5. Close the printer covers without the print cartridges or ETB installed.

6. Perform a cold reset on the printer. To perform a cold reset, do the following:

___a. Turn the printer on.

___b. Watch the control panel.

___c. When the memory starts counting, press and hold the green check (Select) button.

___d. Continue holding the green check button until the Ready, Data, and Attention lights flash once, and then stay on steady.

___e. Release the green check button when the Ready, Data, and Attention light are on steady.

___f. The control panel will display SELECT LANGUAGE.

___g. Press "Down Arrow" button once. The control panel will display COLD RESET.

___h. Press "green check" (Select). The printer will perform a cold reset and then continue its power-on sequence.

**NOTE**: Performing a Cold Reset resets the HP Jetdirect configuration. To avoid making changes to the netowrk configuration, remove the HP Jetdirect card before performing the cold reset. You will also lose user defined printer settings such as paper tray configurations.

7. Wait for the printer to prompt for the supplies installation.

8. After the printer displays the message INSTALL SUPPLIES, install the ETB.

9. Shut the printer covers and wait for the printer to prompt for more supplies.

10. Install one cartridge and close the covers.

11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 until all print cartridges have been installed.

12. Print a Configuration Page.

I hope this is a help to someone. This was a pretty frustrating error for me.

Good Luck!
~J

Printer Printing Only Blank Pages problem.. by JStarr (edited 3/25/11 11:55 AM) reply + / -
The above post was a possible solution to the "Printer printing only blank pages" problem that I just experienced.

As you can see, even I get impatient with the post button. lol

It would be nice to be able to delete a duplicate post btw!

Enjoy! :)

~JStarr

Re: Printer Printing Only Blank Pages problem.. by moe (3/25/11 12:19 PM) reply + / -
You weren't signed in for them. If you're signed in, you can use the edit function (which you obviously did in this post) and delete all the text and submit it. Post disappears. Or you can ask the moderator, who will delete the posts.

Moe
Forum moderator

Re: Re: Printer Printing Only Blank Pages problem.. by JStarr (3/25/11 1:29 PM) reply + / -

Thanks for the help Moe! Hopefully I won't be so clicky in the future! :)

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Markyp (3/31/11 3:24 AM) reply + / -
Hi to all,
nice thread and helpful replies. I was also getting blank pages.
I disassembled the printer and noticed that the developer disengagement plate (RB2-8239-030CN) had stripped teeth so I replaced it. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem entirely. Now the printer is printing but the black is quite poor (http://tinyurl.com/69vnpzc) and I am still getting errors 54.06.00, 54.11.00-54.14.00 (Density sensor out of range) and 54.15.00-54.18.00, 54.20.00 (CPR sensor out of range). Is it possible that the color registration detection assembly also failed?
Thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.
Mark

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by DanRooks (4/29/11 4:36 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem. Did you ever fix the problem of MS Word only printing the left side of a document with the right side fading off?

Re: HP Laserjet 4600 Fuser issue by AdminBod (5/6/11 1:59 AM) reply + / -
I have had my 4600 for around 8 years, it has completed 301,314 A4 copies, always used original cartridges,and have never previously had issues with changing the Fuser. However the machine has now started to not print any sort of document i send to it when the Fuser gets to the last 500 copies or so.

I currently am unable to print to the machine at all. It will happily print all the standard reports, configuration, menu map, supplies status etc.

Last time it stopped printing my IT department suggested I change the fuser prior to the instruction appearing on the machine, and it did cure the problem, but I had major issues convincing the machine that a new fuser was installed. When the remaining number of sheets on what it thought was the old fuser were used, I had to remove and re-insert the new fuser again a number of times before it would continue.

is there a way of telling the machine a new fuser is installed to prevent this happening again?

Problem on hp laserjet 4600 by veedee (6/7/11 5:50 PM) reply + / -
My hp laserjet 4600 is having a problem. I've used this printer so many times and now i can't print any papers. The attention red light keep blinking and on the screen it says that there are supplies error (10.10.00) I tried to read on the trouble shooting for instructions, but i don't understand. How can i set up the event log? How supplies error occured?

Help...

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (6/7/11 6:37 PM) reply + / -
Each toner has a chip on it that is read by a reader inside the printer. Most times the issue is a bad chip. Did you recently change toners. Are the toners hp or aftermarket. Error indicates a problem with the black toner. To test swap the black toner with lets say the magenta toner. Do you still get the message. If so the toner cartridge has an issue. If the message changes, then the slot in the printer has issue and you may need service.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by whitefish3 (9/20/11 10:34 AM) reply + / -
Hi dmzcompute,

I am having the same problem (68.0 Permanent Storage Write Fail message) that Chris was experiencing. I have tried a cold reset, as well as a NVRAM initialization. I had a jetdirect in one of my EIO slots, which I removed before doing the NVRAM initialization. My other two slots are empty. So far, I have had no luck getting rid of the 68.0 Permanent Storage Write Fail message. Are there any other fixes?

Thank you!
Lisa

Re: Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (9/20/11 4:50 PM) reply + / -
Try the hard disk initialization and see if that helps. If not the formatter may need to be replaced.

Procedure:

To initialize the hard disk
1 Turn the printer on.
2 As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold the PAUSE/RESUME (HP Color LaserJet 4600 models) or MENU (HP Color LaserJet 4610n and 4650 models) button until all three lights on the control panel are lit.
3 Press left arrow. The message INITIALIZE DISK appears on the control-panel display.
4 Press the check mark. The printer initializes the hard disk and continues its power-on sequence.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by whitefish3 (9/21/11 10:40 AM) reply + / -
Thanks dmz,

I initialized the hard disk, which seemed to work for about 3 minutes, and then the same error message appeared. I have found a formatter for my 4600, but can not find any how-to instructions. Or, are these instructions usually included with the part?

Thanks for your guidance.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by jpudenz (9/26/11 7:59 AM) reply + / -
NEW QUESTION - We have a 4600dn printer approx 3 years old. It started to jam when printing full color sheets. The pages are just inside the front door stuck to the fuser. The ink is not set. We had the fuser replaced and several adjustments made but the problem is still persisting. We are school and the majority of the printing is from MAC's with OS 10.X. This problem first started occurring after a routine maintenance call to replace the image fuser kit. The company has been back and put in a new kit - problem remained.

Any help would be appreciated as it is driving our teachers crazy.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (9/26/11 9:28 AM) reply + / -
I've seen the problem before with full color sheets when the print is too close to the edge. The toner sticks to the hot fuser roller and the page doesn't go through the printer, triggering the jam indication. Unfortunately, I don't have any solution other than not printing too close to the edge. Adjust the top margin through software.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by curtist (10/3/11 9:50 AM) reply + / -
I have an clj4600 that has a full sheet of paper stuck to the image transfer unit. this happens on every page that is printer. I have already replaced the tray 2 input assy to solve a different paper jam, but this problem continues

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by NetNotWork (10/27/11 7:30 PM) reply + / -
HP 4650n- Question about the Jetdirect -
We have a 4650n with a jetdirect card. TCP/IP is set to manual and a we use a fixed ip address 192.168.10.250 mask 255.255.255.0.
It works great until the printer is powered off- When it is powered back on again the printer picks up a different IP address 192.168.10.174 (most likely from the DHCP server running in the router since 174 is in the DHCP pool )
The result is that no one can print until the address is reset to 10.250.

The printer is set for manual configuration, not bootp dhcp.

I am assuming that the Jetdirect card is malfunctioning and is not holding its settings.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
Any Ideas what to try?

Thanks in advance
NetNotWork

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by NetNotWork (10/27/11 7:35 PM) reply + / -
HP 4650n- Question about the Jetdirect -
We have a 4650n with a jetdirect card. TCP/IP is set to manual and a we use a fixed ip address 192.168.10.250 mask 255.255.255.0.
It works great until the printer is powered off- When it is powered back on again the printer picks up a different IP address 192.168.10.174 (most likely from the DHCP server running in the router since 174 is in the DHCP pool )
The result is that no one can print until the address is reset to 10.250.

The printer is set for manual configuration, not bootp dhcp.

I am assuming that the Jetdirect card is malfunctioning and is not holding its settings.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
Any Ideas what to try?

Thanks in advance
NetNotWork

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (10/27/11 8:26 PM) reply + / -
When you turn off the printer and turn back on and then run a config page what does it say for the method on the jet direct page. Does it say manual or dhcp or bootp. Now you say you change it to manual and I assume you are doing this with the web browser. When you change it to manual you have to apply the setting when done or it will not change. The apply button is at the bottom of the page where you make the change. What model jet direct is in the printer.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by NetNotWork (10/28/11 8:49 AM) reply + / -
Actually have been setting up EIO TCPIP from the printer console. The jet direct model is J6057A Firmware R.24.06

Before power down config method is set to manual, after powered back on it says bootp -

I am planning to put a reservation in the DHCP for this card's MAC address.

Re: Re: hp laserjet 4600 by healthup (10/28/11 9:26 AM) reply + / -
Try to put it into oven and bake it first ,I'v saved many JetDirect card back through this.
Remeber to take off the front plastic part first before put it into the oven.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (10/28/11 4:07 PM) reply + / -
First thing I would do is type the ip address into a web browser and go to network settings and change the method to manual and then apply the settings and see if it sticks.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by Spy Ky (11/29/11 4:27 PM) reply + / -
Was also printing out blank pages... read the above posts and as others have stated, found the Disengagement Plate RB2-8239 (~$15, black guide with notches, on left side of panel near gears, which moves up/down) teeths on lower portion broken near motor, causing the developer not to fully open. Uninstalling, on the left side, remove the (~6)screws, with cartridges out, move the big white gear on left panel near motor so the guide goes up. May help to remove the motor,(3) screws and connector. Install is the opposite, make sure white sprocket (between black and magenta toner is rotated completly counterclockwise with notch opening facing to the left (see service manual pg 204 of removal and replacment), along with align 4 clutch, 1 on each cartridge gear. As usual, unplug device before any repairs!

Leaving toner on other side of paper by shpakoojr (2/21/12 7:38 PM) reply + / -
I am wondering if anyone may know what can cause the toner (magenta color) on the backside of the printed page?
Is it a faulty toner?
Anything comes to mind?
Let me know.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by SBaker (2/12/13 9:19 AM) reply + / -
Can anyone tell me how to fix error code 51.2k on my printer? And is it possible that these errors are caused by my recent switch to remanufactured ink???

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by moe (2/12/13 10:11 AM) reply + / -
That would indicate a problem in the black laser scanner assy.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by hpusertoo (10/13/13 8:18 AM) reply + / -
Hey, I had this printer for a year and no problems printing photos on glossy photo paper. Now, suddenly it won't feed photo papers. I've tried matted kind, and glossy, and no luck. It feeds regular paper fine. Any luck fixing this?

Thanks!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by dmzcompute (10/13/13 10:02 AM) reply + / -
I assume you use tray 1 manual feeder for the photo paper. If that is the case the roller is probably worn and glossy paper which is very smooth takes more gripping power than regular paper. You need to replace the pickup roller and separation pad. I could be wrong but from what I remember the roller and pad are the same as the lj4100. Check with Moe on this site as he should have the parts. You will need both the pickup roller and the separation pad.

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by xmac81 (1/30/14 8:14 PM) reply + / -
Question:

My HP 4600 has a printer number of 65. I'm having the dreaded magenta problem. Going off the STEPHEN 1/24/05 5:00 PM post from above, he said "Printer number is 70 when a DC Controller RG5-6391-110CN is installed". I purchased one of these brand new and installed it. But when I print a configuration page, it still says the printer number is 65. After installing the DC Controller, I waited 10 minutes before I ran the Calibration 3 times. What did I do wrong? How can I rectify this?

Thanks in advance!

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by pravin007techno (8/18/14 12:14 AM) reply + / -
let me tell you one thing that to most of the printer problems are solved by updating or reinstalling with latest printer driver software which you can get from hp official site or you may go with other driver download sites like http://www.driverscape.com/download/hp-color-laserjet-4600-printer or go4download.com

Re: hp laserjet 4600 by tommcana (8/18/14 12:40 AM) reply + / -
It is very nice printer because it used many operating system used and any size of paper you can print in our printer.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters