fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Scott (11/12/04 4:24 PM) reply+1 + / -
My printer will only feed blank sheets without trying to print. I have reloaded drivers, and even the operating system to try to solve the problem. If I print from HP's printer assistant (test page) it works great. But if I try to print anything in the operating system it just feeds a blank sheet, including trying to print a test sheet from printer properties. Printer is USB. The funny thing is, it was working great a couple of days ago.

I am pulling my hair out here. Any advice is geatly appreciated.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (11/13/04 12:08 AM) reply + / -
Bump

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Bob2 (5/1/05 4:27 PM) reply + / -
Have you managed to fix your problem yet?

I have what appears to be exactly the same problem. Like yours my HP Deskjet 5550 printer was working properly before the fault suddenly developed. Moreover I've managed to confirm that the problem isn't with the printer, the installation CD, the USB lead or the USB socket on the computer as we have got the printer to work perfectly on another PC with the same operating system (Windows XP with service pack 2) and using the same USB lead, while the USB socket on my PC works fine with other devices. Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and following all the other diagnostic procedures & checks provided by the HP printer assistant & windows have neither made any difference nor helped me identify the problem

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (7/9/05 1:37 PM) reply + / -
I have same problem.

Q for others with the problem: Any other installed programs in common? For me, this is brand new Dell Inspiron 6000. Came loaded with XP Home; I used MSDN XP Pro disk to upgrade to Pro without removing Home first (i.e., upgrade, not clean new install of Pro). The machine sensed some old shared printers (including HP540) on a networked Win98 box, set up drivers for that. I also loaded PDFCreator, JConnect, and Office 2003 which each set up a printer thingy. The machine came with a printer thingy from Intuit Quickbooks as well.

Interesting nits that might be a hint: Test page from driver installer works fine, test page from Printer Assistant works fine. Test page from the Printer & Faxes / / Properties spits a blank page like other programs do.

A noticable difference is that only the last kind of testpage brings up the status panel for the printer as other programs do. So the first two kinds of test pages are going through some other codepath, perhaps have pre-generated content instead of letting normal printer driver code do the work.

I tried setting print-to-file on an output. Resultant file seems to be pretty small, missing the real content that was to print. So the problem seems to be in generating the PCL (or whatever it's called these days), not in getting that to the printer.

I've so far found two other discussions on the net that relate. http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=45561 suggested the kind of workaround I note below. http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6711-50.html notes similar problems, with a guy who seems knowledgable talking about a likely "print engine missmatch".

A workaround I can suggest that gets the printer working, but without some of the photo-oriented features: On / Properties / Advanced, pick "New Driver". Various from here seem to work; best I've found so far is the one for the "hp deskjet 990c" - gets 600 dpi quality if set preferences to "best".

Re: Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by longstride (7/9/05 1:46 PM) reply + / -
Post (7/9/05 1:37 PM) was from me.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Teraforce (7/11/05 8:17 AM) reply + / -
Have you tried the self-test? I'm not sure on the 5550 printer, but do this:

With the printer ON,
1. Press and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press the resume button 4 times
3. Release the power button

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by longstride (edited 7/13/05 10:09 AM) reply+2 + / -
Looks like I found the problem: The 5550's driver software (version 7.1) is apparently not compatible with XP SP2's "Data Execution Prevention" feature.

Go to My Computer, right click & select Properties. Choose the Advanced panel. Click the first Settings button, in the Performance Section. Choose the Data Execution Prevention panel. Choose the first radio button, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only", not the second one "Turn on DEP for all ...."

The first radio button (essential programs only) was what was selected when I got the machine, but I myself had upped the setting to the more restrictive level.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by skanker08 (7/13/05 4:07 PM) reply + / -
Scott,

Are you using an AMD 64 bit processor?

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (8/14/05 12:36 PM) reply + / -
Longstride,
Your a Genius!!! I've been trying stuff for days on my new AMD 3500+ to get it to work with my hp 5550 and I thought I was going nuts, the printer worked fine on other computers and thru the hp printer assistant, but not thru windows XP (SP2). Your fix was right on the money!! I had done the same thing as you. I reverted back to the original settings and all is now fine..

Thanks again!!!
Fred

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by crazyjoe (9/4/05 2:37 PM) reply + / -
Thanks longstrided

DEP started to come back to me as i read your post. Hmm. I wonder why i turned it off. O well.
THanks.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Dalster.one (9/7/05 2:28 AM) reply + / -
Thanks longstrided!!!
You save me!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by velvetmidget (10/9/05 7:50 AM) reply + / -
Thank You.

I have spent literally days trying to figure out what was wrong.

I was about to cry.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Karl41 (10/16/05 10:58 AM) reply + / -
Longstride:

Your suggestion worked for me too. Thank You!

Karl

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by de (11/9/05 3:43 AM) reply + / -
Hi
I am on a mac and can;t find the "5550's driver software (version 7.1) is apparently not compatible with XP SP2's "Data Execution Prevention" feature."
. i dont have a my computer only my HD which i've searched. Can you help since my problem has hit both computers wierdly - it prints slowly from other packages apart from word - when its just blank.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (11/14/05 7:57 PM) reply + / -
Yes! Me too! I had the exact same problem. I could get self-tests going perfectly from my two HPs - 6110xi all-in-one and 5550 deskjet - but printing to them only left me with a single blank page to stare at. New Pentium D computer, Windows 2003 Server Enterprise, USB-2, all connected properly, but only blank pages. So I turned off the Data Execution Prevention as per longstride's advice, and it's working perfectly now. I wish you the same luck!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by modeselector (11/30/05 8:32 AM) reply + / -
Day turned into night - Night into day, then i found this thread....

THANK YOU VERY MU......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by skanker08 (12/2/05 7:33 PM) reply + / -
You are a legend longstride!!! Now my printer uses the supplied drivers again and it actually prints at a decent speed!

Thanks Mate!!!!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Markus (12/5/05 1:27 AM) reply + / -
Same problem acknowledged on Windows XP SP2 and HP 450wbt printer.

Haven't had the chance yet to change the windows data execution prevention, but I'll let you know if it works.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Markus (12/5/05 5:04 AM) reply + / -
That definitely worked.

Thanks to you, it was truly difficult to find this problem,
it is not reported on any Microsoft or HP webiste as far as I've been lookin.

More on disabling DEP, 3 different methods :
" 1) Disable DEP removing the '/NoExecute=OptIn' from boot.ini

2) System - Advanced - DEP - Activate DEP only for essential Windows Progams and Services

3) I suppose that checking 'Activate DEP for all programs and services except those selected' and including the HP driver in the list should also work. "

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by ^Blak (12/17/05 8:24 PM) reply + / -
Thank you very much!!! I was having problems for so long! I was crazy because I could make it print in GNU/Linux. I think this problem should be documented.

Thank you so much!! Mr. longstride, how did you come across that? That is the discover of the century !!!!! THANKS !! :P

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by JordanL (12/24/05 10:51 AM) reply + / -
Same problem with the HP 6122...

finally found this thread...been trying to fix this for hours!

THANKS!

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (1/4/06 6:04 PM) reply + / -
LongStride for President!!!
Thanks so very much.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by paralleluniverse (1/5/06 9:15 PM) reply + / -
Well, my problem, which is exactly stated by several others in this thread still exists in spite of this DEP change. My cpu a 3.0ghz P4 with XP Pro SP2 was already not set properly for DEP yet my 5550 is still wigging out. My 5550 is connected via a parallel connection, which seems to be the only difference. Any ideas? It seems to cause a driver error on boot which I can just cancel and ignore with no adverse effects to the rest of the programs I'm using, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling many many times. The cpu says it "finds new hardware" which is the printer upon each boot.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by RENEE YADRON (1/30/06 10:57 PM) reply + / -
Hello All,
I am too having said printing problems. I operate from xp and am using an USB (if that matters). I have tried the "DEP FOR ESSENTIALS" advise and still no luck. In the begining I uninstalled my programs and reinstalled to only have a pop up inform that the file was bad. How can that be, I have been operating from it for two years with only now having problems? I am unable to print Word or Excel documents (having no problems from the internet) and this is effecting my business somewhat. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Renee

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Quinn_Inuit (1/31/06 3:16 PM) reply + / -
Longstride, you are the MAN!

Renee, do you have a spyware problem? Alternatively, have you tried re-downloading the 7.1 drivers?

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (3/9/06 1:46 AM) reply + / -
The problem was really Data Execution Prevention

With HP5550 the only document i could print was the "HP test page" (no windows test page).

Pentium D 920 + XPPro SP2 + HP5550 on LPT1.

!!!!! Longstride, thank you very much !!!!!!!!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by mbaer (4/18/06 12:33 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my HP deskjet 3550. It prints blank pages with complete disregard of any driver uninstall/install actions.

The strange thing is: I can print as root but not as ordinary user. (On Linux no problems whatsoever.) DEP settings are as in longstrides post.

What to do? (other than working as root from now on)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Viking Man (4/30/06 1:19 AM) reply + / -
My HP PSC 2115 always printed a blank page for every print job from Windows applications (notepad, Word, etc.). Also from Control Panel - Printers - Print Test Page produced a blank page. The HP Director software that comes with the printer had installed correctly, and it could print its own test pages and diagnostic pages fine.

So I tried changing the Data Execution Prevention settings as longstride suggested and suddenly everything is printing OK.

Thanks longstride! :-)

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Mr Ho (5/23/06 5:02 PM) reply + / -
I love this site...Notice that you are NOT bombarded with tons of junk/ads.

SO I have yet to try the above fix "Data Execution Prevention" feature. I just wanted to send out my situation in hopes that others might be aware of HP's short comings.

My HP Photosmart 7400 worked great for about 1 year then all of a sudden one day - ploop! Prints blank pages. I have surfed around trying to find a fix for this and have read so many other posts with the same or similar problem...Hmmm do you think HP wrote something in their code that causes your printer to SCREW UP after a year. Hmmm now you have to go buy a NEW ONE. I poked around in my HP .ini files and .inf files to discover that EVERYthing you do is logged / counted. Every reset, button pushed, ink changed, BW pages printed, Color pages printed etc.... Have they set a 'Print Limit' ??? I am going to change a few numbers (lower) and find out.

I don't think this is an OS or driver problem because I took my printer to work and it did the same thing... Like the internal firmware got buggy. Now TWO BLANK PAGES PRINT, The SINGLE Page I sent to the printer prints fine, then a FOURTH page starts to load and JAMs. (this cycle continues...)

If I find a fix I will let this forum know (so Bookmark it!). Thanks for everyones input so far, man this is a long one.

Ho

Re: HP Photosmart 7760 & Blank WORD Pages by Robert Poe (9/27/06 11:26 AM) reply + / -
My 7760 prints web pages fine, but I can't get it to print a document from WORD. Whas up with that?

HP Deskjet xxxx & Blank Pages by Anonymous (10/25/06 3:48 PM) reply + / -
I have been struggling with this problem for over a year. I could get the hp deskjet 6122 and 7550 to print from my Windows Me computer but no luck with my XP SP2 equipment. Every time I needed to print I would email the document to the Windows Me machine. I have communicated with HP and numerous others to no avail. Today, the problem was resolved by applying LongStride's solution. I can not express my feeling to finally having this problem fixed. LongStride, you are at the top of the heap. BZ
TinFoot

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (10/25/06 5:59 PM) reply + / -
Sometimes odd problems on the 5550 printers are caused by ink cartridges, and you'd swear that it's not a cartridge problem until everything works great after you replace a cartridge...

For any odd 5550 problem I recommend trying it first with only the black cartridge installed, and if it fails that way test it with only the color cartridge installed.

The 5550 will run with just one cartridge installed, it's then running in "Reserve Mode".

Having fixed a problem like Mr Ho had by replacing the black cartridge< (today), I can speak with some assurance on the matter, (and it's not the first time I've seen a cartridge cause odd problems).

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Karl Erik (11/12/06 12:12 AM) reply + / -
Hello,

had the exact same problem when connecting my HP 5550 to a brand new Dell Dimension E521. The computer has an AMD processor that supports DEP, which I had turned on prior to installing the printer.

You can circumvent this issue without turning off DEP, by excepting the HPDJ Print Engine from the DEP checks. The file that should be excepted is hpzeng06.exe, which is likely to reside in a subfolder of C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\

Thanks a lot to those who posted the solution here, I spent an hour with an HP technician (online chat) who suggested all kinds of reinstallation, which did not help.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by darkseas (1/6/07 5:18 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Karl, that worked for me!
(HP Color DeskJet 5550 with blank on printing Windows testpage.)

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by tzeny (1/18/07 2:15 AM) reply + / -
guys what if you have the same problem with two different printers tha wont even print the self test pages?? I am using XP SP1

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Dangerman (1/20/07 2:14 AM) reply + / -
Oh thank you thank you thank you.

I havent been able to print for ages.

It all works again

HP 5550 printer here that would work I thought it was the very low ink level, then i got some new ones, tried the drivers stuff around with some of the services then found this site.

thanks

Danger

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (1/20/07 7:08 AM) reply + / -
tzeny,

If the 5550's won't print the demo page with the I/O cable disconnected, and they go through the mations without an error condition happening, then you have a different problem. (search forums for blot test)

The demo page is started by holding down the resume button for about 4 seconds,m (till the ready light starts to flash).

If you are getting an error condition, lights flashing, etc. then read:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/36013#1

Sometimes if the page count is high the service station wipers need to be cleaned, the ink builup on them can clog cartridges.

Look in that thread I referenced and run a tap-4 test to see the page count if you can get the machines to print.

ST

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by happy chappy (1/21/07 12:47 PM) reply + / -
Had the same problem but with a PSC 2110

Two PC's sharing one printer via printer sharing on older pc. Both worked fine until I retired the older PC and connected the printer to the remaining newer pc. (AMD which seems to be cropping up again and again.)

Applied the DEP fix and all is well

Thanks

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (1/26/07 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Sooooooooo happy! It worked! Was about to chuck the printer, since I've had it for a long time and it has served me well, until new computer gave me this problem. But now I can save the money for new ink cartridges :-S

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Kip Hornby (2/8/07 11:47 AM) reply + / -
Help - pretty new at this game so keep any answers simple (please) Operating Windows XP with HP5550 printer which prints fine from Net or test-pages but has now stopped printing from Notepad or Wordpad - printer runs but delivers only blank sheets. Not sure when it stopped working as not often used but may be connected to Microsoft update @ 6 weeks ago which appeared to wreck everything else - including changing my ISP Any help greatly appreciated

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by jayb (3/19/07 1:33 PM) reply + / -
I have an hp deskjet 5150 and had the same problem - but i'm on XP Service Pack 1.

To anyone interested, to fix go to (on microsoft word for example):

file> print> properties (for the printer)> and, depending on what driver you have, find the 'Effects' tab and/or the option to 'Print Document On'. On my default settings this field was left blank - I set it to A4 and the problem was solved.

one problem - will only work if draft printing is selected. profesional quality printing still renders blank pages.

Hope i helped? jayb

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (3/22/07 5:07 AM) reply + / -
Million thanks for saving my sanity at the last minute. You are my hero. Can I have your children ? Now printing merrily with one curious side-effect - under Printer Properties all but one page is in English the last is in Spanish or Portugese ! Is this something else I have to learn ? Many many thanks again.
Kip

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (3/25/07 9:49 AM) reply + / -
Hello guys, how about for those who refilled their cartridges but still wouldn't print at all? One explanation was that HP ink cartridge ink level doesn't reset to full even when refilled, so it is seen by the printer as empty. Any way to reset it back again to full? Any suggestions for a workaround? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & lack of maintenance option by Daine (4/12/07 7:43 AM) reply + / -
I changed a cartridge in error and wanted to see how much ink was left in it, but when I chose the printer properties option, I am not seeing the maintenance option.

Please give me some pointers on how to access it.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Bene (4/24/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
Oh my god, there IS a solution for the blank pages!
For two years my dj5550 could only be used via a celeron 300 printer server (same os!)...

thank you guys!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (4/24/07 2:50 PM) reply + / -
You can find ink level reset instructions for #56/57/58 cartridges at: www.stratitec.com

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by JunJun (4/24/07 6:38 PM) reply + / -
Do you have an exact link for that? I can't seem to find it anywhere inside www.stratitec.com. They're just selling stuffs.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by kimbo100 (5/7/07 12:59 PM) reply + / -
I too had lots of problems trying to hook up my trusty HP5550 with my new Dell Windows XP. I spent many hours on the phone with an HP technician and paid the obsene amount of money, since my warranty had run out, only to have them not help me fix it. I finally resorted to downloading the hp 990c driver. At least I can get it to print (not just blank pages like it was doing) but the picture resolution has degraded. Documents print just fine though.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/7/07 1:35 PM) reply + / -
Here's the exact link for cartridge reset instructions.

http://secure.stratitec.com/support.php?products_id=811

It was under support and then inkjet refill kits...

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Ju nJun (5/7/07 9:29 PM) reply + / -
I emailed support for Stratitec and they told me they *don't* have the means/support to reset hp 5550 models. The topic here is HP Deskjet 5550, not #56/57/58 so the latter is irrelevant for this.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (5/14/07 11:26 PM) reply + / -
I too have the same problem that was not fixed by the suggestion. But I was able to change the font color to blue and then it prints. Very weird. Two changes of the black cartridge and no difference.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/15/07 5:54 AM) reply + / -
If you change the font color and it prints then you might have a cartridge problem, even if...

Do the blot test on the black cartridge.

Remove cartridge from machine, fold a paper towel back over a couple of times so it is about 4 layers thick, shake cartridge up and down hard, shake over a sink unless you want to clean ink off the floor.

Now blot the nozzles of the cartridge on the paper towel, you should see two black stripes, if you don't the cartridge is clogged.

If the cartidge is clogged, then soak the nozzles in warm water for a couple of minutes and try the blot test again. I recommend about 1/16th of an inch of warm water in a saucer.

For lot's of 5550 information read:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/36013#1

The ink level reset instructions link was in rsponse to a request.

To reset the ink levels you have to make the printer think you put in a different cartridge. The HP 56, 57, & 58 cartridges have a cartridge ID, the printer stores the ID of the last two cartridges of each color, so if you remove and replace a cartridge the printer recognizes it. Stratitec provides instructions on taping contacts on the cartridges to make the printer think it's a different cartridge.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Maikeru (5/15/07 9:23 PM) reply + / -
Just wondering, how true was the claim that a refill/original cartridge works only for about three to four times then burns out afterwards? Not that I'm having much problem with it, since I save a lot with refills so far, just gathering some thoughts...

And for those who are hardcore electronics buffs and likes to tinker on the component level, here's one tip for encountering a faulty hp 5550 power supply board (ergo, the printer won't run) - just replace the rectifier diode/s with exact or approximate replacement, and off you go. ;-). My friend and I have done it on several units having all the same problems.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/16/07 7:26 AM) reply + / -
If you refill cartridges before they run dry, then the chances of burning out a heating element in the nozzles are minimal.

My philosophy is to refill them twice then replace them.

Refill once tape the contac per instructions, install the cartridge and let it run with the tape left on.

After the second refill tape the next contact, install and let run.

If you only refill twice that gets your average cost down to about $8-9 for a cartride and ink, and you will not have to worry much about burning out heating elements, or leaking cartridges.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by JunJun (5/17/07 2:34 AM) reply + / -
"Refill once(,) tape the contac(t) per instructions, install the cartridge and let it run with the tape left on.

After the second refill(,) tape the next contact, install and let run.

If you only refill twice that gets your average cost down to about $8-9 for a cartride and ink, and you will not have to worry much about burning out heating elements, or leaking cartridges."
=========================================
Could you explain further the 'tape' you mentioned. I didn't seem to get the process about that part - as in covering the contacts wit ha plastic tape(?) Will it still run with a tape covering it?

If you have already sent detailed instructions for this, could you point me to that link again? Thanks.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (5/17/07 2:38 AM) reply + / -
I didn't get that one either. Could you send the steps or point us the site/URL about it. TIA

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/17/07 4:14 AM) reply + / -
You use the link I posted above, here it is again:

http://secure.stratitec.com/support.php?products_id=811

And then you can click on either:

Ink Level Reset Instructions for HP® 56 and 58 cartridges
Ink Level Reset Instructions for HP® 57 cartridges

I use Scotch tape, the printer will run if you leave the tape on, it just thinks you have installed a different cartridge.

The instructions have you install tape and print an alignment page, then put on more tape and print another page, then remove the tape and print a third alignment page. (that takes a while and wastes ink in the other cartridge and some paper)

I think putting the tape on and leaving it there is simpler, and that you will likely get better print quality if you only refill a cartridge twice,and your chances of having a cartridge leak will be very low.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (5/17/07 9:33 AM) reply + / -
the link is restricted: "Page cannot be displayed",
reason:
Not a member on a *secure* server.

I didn't know if there's a membership involved...

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/17/07 8:14 PM) reply + / -
No membership required.

I can get to the link every time.

Maybe if you start at www.stratitec.com

Then point mouse at Support

Menu should drop down

Click on inkjet refill kits

That should get you to list of reset instructions by cartridge.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Carmongi (5/20/07 9:58 PM) reply + / -
Either I get "Page cannot be displayed" or "The URL could not be retrieved". Been trying it for days.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (5/21/07 6:55 AM) reply + / -
Here's another site with instructions:

http://www.misterinkjet.com/hpreset.htm

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Maikeru (5/22/07 2:49 AM) reply + / -
This is a great help, though I can't see the one for 5550 model, but i'll surely check this one out, if it'll work the same.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Stephen (5/22/07 4:49 AM) reply + / -
The ink level reset instructions are by cartridge number.

The 5550 uses #56, 57, & 58 cartridges.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Carmongi (5/22/07 9:21 AM) reply + / -
I just had my black cartridge reset using instructions for #56. If it worked for me , it might work for you too.

t'was a big, big help indeed.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (5/30/07 10:27 AM) reply + / -
Ok, I'm using SP1 and not SP2 and I cant fiddle around with DEP settings. So how do I get it to stop printing blank pages in non-Admin mode?

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by trin404 (7/22/07 6:29 AM) reply + / -
THANK YOU longstride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swiched from XP to sever2003 (dont ask me why...) and Ive been trying to figure this out for some days now!!

:D

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (9/6/07 3:08 PM) reply + / -
I spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with my corporate help desk and finally he searched this web site and bingo, within minutes my problem was fixed.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by johnny B (9/6/07 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Good job...... "longstride" wrote
Looks like I found the problem: The 5550's driver software (version 7.1) is apparently not compatible with XP SP2's "Data Execution Prevention" feature.

Go to My Computer, right click & select Properties. Choose the Advanced panel. Click the first Settings button, in the Performance Section. Choose the Data Execution Prevention panel. Choose the first radio button, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only", not the second one "Turn on DEP for all ...."

The first radio button (essential programs only) was what was selected when I got the machine, but I myself had upped the setting to the more restrictive level.

Once again, good job "longstride" and thanks.
I too spent weekends and evenings thinking "I can fix this" well I finally gave up and called for help. I spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone with my corporate help desk and finally he searched this web site and bingo, within minutes my problem was fixed. Nothing can beat the power of the ordinary PC community and open source code to make things happen.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by dissi (10/21/07 2:57 AM) reply + / -
I have had exactly Scott's problem although under different circumstances. My hp deskjet 5550 was working fine on Windows 2003 SP1. After migrating the OS from broken 32-bit hardware to a new AMD Athlon64, the printer suddenly started printing only blank pages. longstride's DEP setting helped me out. I bet I had never fiddled with these settings, the system restore or some OS patch must have done this. Anyway: thank you very much longstride!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by cag (11/29/07 2:15 PM) reply + / -
My problem with the hp deskjet 5550 is not blank pages, but chopped up info printed over several pages. I have a 2 page family-update letter with photos inserted throughout which I always put together to mail out at this time of year. This printer has printed it for years. Now suddenly it prints half a page, feeds the next sheet and, having skipped a few lines and half a photo, continues on page 2 for a couple inches, feeds page 3 and prints the last couple of lines of my original page, having left out about a third of the page. Everytime I try it, it prints the same, only breaks in different places. I've tried changing margins, reducing size and deleting photos... They are new cartridges. I tried with just the black cartridge and same problem.
Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated! If I have posted to the wrong thread, please advise. Thanks.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Bert (11/29/07 6:41 PM) reply + / -
Turn off the printer and unplug it from power. Make sure the printer cable is connected solidly on both ends. Restart the computer. Try printing again.

If the problem continues uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by cag (12/7/07 11:30 AM) reply + / -
Such a simple solution to a frustrating problem. I'll try that first next time. Thank you very much for your help!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by tinajim (12/26/07 7:43 PM) reply + / -
I had a paper jam. After dislodging the jammed papers the printer won't take up any more fresh ones to print. I've unplugged it, checked all the cables, and even re-installed the driver. Help would be appreciated!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (1/21/08 9:28 PM) reply + / -
ive been plagued by this same issue for a very long time.i tried all of the fixes that everyone has posted but unfortunately im still stuck with blank pages.the title or header will print beautifully but nothing beyond that.

the only way i was able to get mine to print entire pages was to go into the hp printing preferences.
hit the "hp digital photography" button.
then change the paper type to "other photo papers".

now i can print everything fine,altho slow as dirt.
i hope this helps those that have been unable to get their 5550s to print.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by kristie motz (3/21/08 5:49 AM) reply + / -
Here is the problem the printer keeps printing blank pages i tried replacing the drivers and reconnecting the port and this has been going on for 2 months. I even tried to reinstall the operating system. The lady at our job is a counselor and this is a continuous problem i just put the printer back on the original settings and resorted back to the factory settings do you have any other suggestions. my e-mail address is blueapple_60@yahoo.com

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 verrrry slow printing by matthew998 (6/17/08 10:12 AM) reply + / -
Hi, about to bin this printer, have reinstalled all correct drivers replaced cartriges and even tried my other computer and even my other hp 7260 printer, they all print a page every 3hours[slow].

please help...

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (7/25/08 7:43 AM) reply + / -
Thanks Longstride. This is still helping people. I've been plagued by this for a while but now I can rest easy. Thanks again.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by jackal2001 (8/2/08 10:06 AM) reply + / -
I couldn't figure this out. I had my 5550 hooked up to an external jet direct and it worked from all my other pcs except my main one. I did some changed a few weeks ago to troubleshoot some windows explorer errors and turned DEP on except for explorer.
Setting it back to the orgional setting fixed my blank page problem.

Thanks again for the fix. why this does this with DEP is beyond me.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by sfpx (8/9/08 4:58 AM) reply + / -
For those who still have the problem here is the solution (I think).

1)
Delete the printers

2)
Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
and try to delete everything. If the file unidrv.dll is in use try to rename it.

3)
Reboot and reinstall.

It worked for me.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (11/3/08 5:15 PM) reply + / -
You totally rock! I recently changed the settings for the Data Execution Prevention so I changed them back and can print again!!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (6/11/09 7:14 PM) reply + / -
Chalk another one up for longstride! Same issue on a HP 6122. DEP fix worked!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (6/28/09 6:44 PM) reply + / -
This post was out some time ago but, believe it or not, my mother just called me last night and cannot print from MS Word to her HP5550 (gets blank pages). I tried all things I could think of and, in fact, it will print sometimes. The phenomena mentioned in this thread sounds like all of you fixed the problem. She is using XP Professional SP3.

Let me know what to try. I tried the fix suggested in the thread but the advanced setting was already as suggested.

Look forward to a solution!

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (6/28/09 8:36 PM) reply + / -
PLease leave a post if you can still help with this issue. Seems like this is the site to solve this problem. I am having an issue (with my mother's computer) printing from MS Word to an HP 5550. She has XP Pro SP3. I think the Longstride solution is probably what I have going on, but I cannot set a radio button to stop the behavior.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by grapho (8/13/09 5:59 AM) reply + / -
Hello everybody. Try this :

Go to the printer properties by right clicking the default printer icon on Printer & Faxes in the Control Panel.

Go to Advanced Options and select the option that reads "Print Directly to the Printer."

It worked for me :p . the printer was not printing from Word and other programs but was printing test pages ok and the ink cartridges are new.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by AlexanderK1000 (9/26/09 6:45 AM) reply + / -
Thank you Grapho. This seems to be the quickest and safest way to fix my HP Printer issue!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by christine trevino (10/6/09 8:25 AM) reply + / -
printer is randomly laying down a hairline black line from border to border horizonally. theory is that it is somehow related to the graphics in the file. printing from CS4 Illustrator, Windows Vista.
whole team has been trying to solve this problem. None of the other printers do it, so it is an HP issue.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anonymous (11/3/09 8:15 AM) reply + / -
Thanks so much longstride! I was able to pick up on your thread and fix my printer after several days of frustrating trouble-shooting! You ARE a genius!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by ning (11/7/09 8:40 PM) reply + / -
My HP Deskjet 5550 doesn't recognize the new blank ink. But when I put my old black ink in. It knows. The old one is leaking.
Anyone has encountered this before?
Thanks,
Ning

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by carcnz (11/19/09 4:00 AM) reply + / -
Try this thread...particularly post by longstride on 7/13/05. He fixed the exact problem for me! Good luck!

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/24623

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by debcountry (12/3/09 7:18 PM) reply + / -
Awesome! Thank you, I have been trying to figure this out for days!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by techsupportdude (1/19/10 2:47 PM) reply + / -
I was having a similar issue at a location i provide support to.
Test pages printed fine, but all other jobs would just feed paper and get blank pages.

The fix this time (and 1 time in the past) was to run the "Clean Printhead" function using the HP utility. I also restarted the print spooler but not sure which one fixed this problem.

In the past we had to run clean printhead multiple times to get working.

DID NOT CHANGE data execution settings.

Re: Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by hurricane25 (2/20/10 6:43 PM) reply + / -
grapho you are the man!!!

i have win xp sp3 and tried all the suggestion... DEP only for ess, cleaning printer, replacing the cartridge - nothing worked.

out of desperation, i followed your suggestion and turned "Print Directly to the Printer" ON and voila! everything works!

thnx man.. luv ya!!!

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Luciano (3/3/10 1:50 PM) reply + / -
I wish to tanks you so much.
The solution works perfecty, I have been crazy for many hours in the past days, a lot of time spent uselessly...
Thank you very much, good luck.

Luciano

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by longboat (4/12/10 7:29 AM) reply + / -
My printer is working but it is skipping pages when using double sided printing...it worked fine for several years and now will not print pages in order and skips entire pages and I have to go back and print manually. Any suggestions?

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by dipsomania (5/30/10 12:52 AM) reply + / -
To solve the problem, try the following links

http://www.all-driver.com (HP Deskjet 5550)

good luck

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages (HP870Cxi) by Z6CHAS (6/17/10 10:35 PM) reply + / -
I have an old HP870Cxi which has been working on windows XP for years. A month ago Word started printing only blank pages. Test pages from the printer and Windows printed OK. PDF and Internet programs printed OK. Reloaded drivers and re-installed MS-word, but Word and Notepad still printed blank pages.
Longstride's solution did not help because the settings were already as he suggested.
Tried grapho's suggestion of 8-13-09 and changed printer setting from 'spooling' to "print directly to printer' and all is now OK.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY.
If anybody knows why this worked I would really appreciate them telling me.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by ejg (12/15/10 11:07 AM) reply + / -
My deskjet 5550 is working fine from my Dell running XP SP2, but from this MSI A6000 (Windows 7) I get garbage or blank pages. any thoughts?

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by ychaouche (2/2/11 9:16 AM) reply + / -
Had the same problem under LInux (OpenSuse) for the HP Deskjet 1220C. The solution was to go in cups (http://localhost:631) and change the printer driver to HP DeskJet 1220C Foomatic/pcl3.

Hope this helps some guys out there (I lost nearly an hour...)

Best regards,

Y.Chaouche

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by alex33 (11/22/11 3:15 AM) reply + / -
HP C5550 software and driver pages
http://driverswin.com/hp-photosmart-c5550-drivers/

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Patrick H (12/22/11 7:24 AM) reply + / -
I also have a problem with my HP 5550. I'm using Windows 7 and open office and so far had no problem with the printer at all. Only today I couldn't get him to print pictures. Normal text files are printed flawlessly but as soon as I try to print a picture it is a no go. Page is send to the printer and I get the printing message but nothing happens. No pages in waiting either and the on off light starts blinking.
Also, the self diagnostic page comes out blank however, the windows test page comes out fine.

Anny thoughts?

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by MEEMD (1/21/12 10:44 AM) reply + / -
My hp 5550 printer is printing slanted---seems to be getting jammed at left side as it comes through the feeder exit (should both sides of the feeder look the same---a picture would be helpful. Many thanks

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by pulling my heair (1/27/12 12:25 PM) reply + / -
HP psc 2175

same issues of printing blank pages. test page would print from the on board self test. Printer worked on another system. reloaded drivers 3 times. changed usb cable. pulled my hair out. re-grew the hair pulled it out again.

set DEP to only essentials and everything is all gooooood.....

now to regrow the hair...

thanks Longstrided

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by Anything (4/6/13 10:52 PM) reply + / -
I'm also having issues with HP 5550. It prints blank pages but when I try printing the diagnostics it was ok. I'm using windows 7 64bit. It started happening since 3 days ago randomly printing blank pages.

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by leomart (7/14/13 7:16 AM) reply + / -
Try this, this page would be help you
http://www.freeprinterdriverdownload.org

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters