fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Roy (9/28/04 11:08 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what what is recommended if an Inkjet printer is not going to be used for a while? I've read that this can cause clogged printer heads?

I have an EPSON R300 Photo Stylues that is not going to get anyy use for about 3 months. There are cartridges currently installed and semi used.

Have a feeling I read somewhere that you should remove the cartridges and put tape over the head nozzles and cartridge holes but I cant find this again anywhere so may be totally wrong!

Any advice for this printer would be most appreciated. Thanks. Roy.

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Steve A. (9/28/04 11:26 AM) reply + / -
As a retired service tech, I had to advise many to avoid Epson for exactly this reason unless the units were going to be used very frequently.
I had Epsons less than a month old that were scrapped and replaced under warranty.

An Epson out of warranty with a clog was junk since the cost (a few years ago) of the replacement head was $180!

I don't think taping the head will be effective and I am unaware of any way to flush the heads to prevent clogs from the drying out of passages.
You probably don't have silicone oil in the viscosity (50,000 - 300,000 CS)I have and I don't know if I would try Vaseline as a film, but tape is unlikely to do the job. Something that will not evaporate and clings tighter than tape should protect the jets well enough and the printer would flush the coating out with a few cleaning cycles.

If you have a friend who could use it in your absence, you will likely have a working unit when you return.
They are very durable and reliable when used often enough.

Good luck -

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Roy (9/28/04 11:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the reply Steve. Useful to know tape is not the answer ! Cheers, Roy.

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Denny Conway (9/28/04 12:25 PM) reply+1 + / -
Roy: About the only thing you could do, is to flush the ink out of the PRINTHEAD NOZZLES, by using "Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution". Once all the ink is out, then there's very little chance that the nozzles will clog while its being not used. You would have to keep the ink cartridges out of the printer, so new ink would not get back into the printheads. I would recommend that you place tape over the end of the actual ink cartridges, so they do not dry out or even leak. Then when you are ready to use the printer again, flush the printheads with the Epson Solution again and then install the old cartridges, after removing that tape. Next run some "Printhead Cleaning Cycles" and "Nozzle Tests", until the black and colors start fully printing again...You might want to try using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution, available through the Home Page on "fixyourownprinter.com", at http://fixyourownprinter.com/ . When it opens, click-on Epson, under PRINTER REPAIR KITS. Then click-on "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" and that page should then open correctly. The Epson Solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using actual Epson Inks. This is the same chemical used by Epson in their service department. You can try it if you want to, just to flush out the old ink and to get the printheads cleaned out for storage. IF YOU DECIDE TO, TRY THE "EPSON STYLUS HEAD CLEANING SOLUTION", JUST REMEMBER: The "nozzles" inside the printhead assembly can be easily damaged by using to much force on the plunger of the syringe. Damage can even occur when you are using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution method, if you actually try to force the fluid thru the nozzle. To much force/pressure can damage the little tubes inside the Nozzle Assembly and then it will never work again. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair. You can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. The correct method is to use the syringe to add the fluid very slowly into the nozzles [do not force the syringe, or it can cause damage], which will slowly push out the ink thats left inside of them. I would recommend that you use strips of flat coffee filters, placed under the printhead assembly, to catch the ink and solution that will be coming out, during that flushing. As the strips get full of ink and solution, simply keep replacing them, until only the solution starts coming out and you cannot see any remaining ink. I use flat coffee filters, cut into strips approx 3/4 to 1 inch wide [length depends on the brand of filters used, but usually ends up being 3 to 5 inches long]. You will want the "Printhead/Print Cartridge Holder Assembly" to be unlocked, so that you can manually move it back and forth by hand. I would position that assembly in the middle of the carriage assy, so you can easily remove and install the strips, by sliding that assembly off and back onto those strips as needed. It would also be a good time to clean the underside and backside area of the Printhead Assembly, so that any ink build-up does not dry out over and around those nozzle heads on the outside areas. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area, in case you want to do the cleaning and at least eliminate that possibility...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Roy (10/3/04 11:46 AM) reply + / -
Denny,
Brilliant - thats exactly what i was looking for! Many thanks for the excellant and detailed info.
Cheers,
Roy.

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by Denny Conway (10/4/04 10:00 AM) reply + / -
Roy: You're welcome and I help that info helps you to get your printer read for storage...Denny Conway

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by wayno2005 (6/27/09 5:31 PM) reply + / -
i got this epson r300 off a friend and he had it sitting for over six months with the ink still inside so when i first tryed to use it the ink head were blocked well 3 of them were ... so i read how to fix these problems like going out to buy some kind of solution ... its just not needed so what i did was boil the kettle with boiling hot water and i used a siringe filled it up and put ontop of the nozzles on all six nozzles ,, soaked all the water up with the siringe and i done this 3 times for all six nozzles then got some ear buds and dryed all round the nozzles ... i put me printer back on gave it a head clean and i noticed that 1 of blockages which was the black was unblocked then cleaned another 2 times and i had no blockages at all ,, if this can work for me it should work for yous ...as this is the first time i have tryed it ,and if you dont have a syringe use a straw and let the hot water soak on top ...i was a bit juvius
at first when i seen quiet a bit of water was giong to fast down the nozzle but then i relized that it was just sitting in tray where the nozzles were so i gave it a good old squirt so dont be frightened of the water giong to to the tray just dont use loads and soak it back up as soon as you have done it .. i also done 1 nozzle at time then soaked it back up ,,, so no need for any chemicals crap hope this help a lot of people thanks

Re: Epson R300 - Not using printer for a while by rohmell (6/27/09 6:20 PM) reply + / -
Store the ink cartridges in ziploc bags along with a piece of cotton that has been wet with water to keep the cartridges in a moist environment to keep them from drying out.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters