fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Printers won't print blue!?!!

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Printers won't print blue!?!! by Heather (8/11/04 10:49 PM) reply + / -
I have been having problems with my Epson Stylus Scan 2500. Lately, it has decided not to print any blue, which also means no green, etc. I thought it was the printer, but I just tried another printer, the HP Photosmart 1215, and it has the same problem. I think it might be my computer, a Macintosh G4. Anyone know what to do about that? Both are USB printers.

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Denny Conway (8/12/04 10:14 AM) reply + / -
Heather: Because this is only an actual Printer Repair Site and I only work on the actual printers, I can't help you if you actually have a Computer System problem. Also I am a PC person and know nothing about Mac computers. You can determine if the printer is actually working ok or not, by running a simple STAND ALONE PRINTER TEST. On most Epson Printers you can usually run an "Internal Epson Self-Test Page" to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or possibly from your Computer System. As not all Epson Printers are always the same, you should refer to your User's Manual/Owners Manual for the correct procedure on how to run your printers Self-Test Page. Normally, you simply unhook and remove the Printer Cable from the back of the printer, but leave the power cord still plugged in to the wall and paper loaded normally. Turn the printer off for 10 seconds or so, to clear out any remaining DATA or information that may still have been in the printers system, from when the Computer was previously connected. Now reach over and turn the printer on as normal. The printer should come on and go to a normal Ready Condition, with no Error Lights on. If you get an Error Light on, then you know you have a problem in your printer. If there are no Error Lights on, then you want to run your printers "Internal Epson Self-Test Page", directly from the printer itself. Normally [on most models] you turn the printer back off and simply hold-in on the Paper Button, while you reach over and turn the Power Button back on, as normal. Continue to hold in on the paper button for about 3 to 5 seconds, but release the power button after turning your printer on. Release the paper button once you can hear and see the printer starting to initialize and start to pull-in a piece of paper. The printer will print out an Internal Epson Self-Test Copy, which will also have a "Nozzle Test" on it. If everything is working correctly in the printers Paper Feed Assembly, Carriage Assembly/Cartridge Assembly and the Printhead Assembly, then the self-test copy should be printed out and correctly fed thru the printer. AS A GENERAL RULE: If the self-test page prints out correctly and the "Nozzle Test" looks ok, then usually your printer is working normally. Look to see if the CYAN COLOR [blue color] is actually showing up on the nozzle test. If it is, then your printer is working normally. If the blue is not showing up on the nozzle test, then you know that the problem is actually in your printer. That could indicate a possible: CLOGGED Printhead Assembly, a bad or failing color cartridge, or possibly even a Hardware/Parts failure or problem. Even if the nozzle test comes out looking normal [blue showing up on nozzle test], that does not mean your printer may not be dirty, or have another service or supply related problem. It just means the printer is basically working normally as far as the internal tests go. If your printer is working ok, then your problem could be in your Computer System/PC: bad drivers, bad printer cable, bad software, incorrect internal PC settings, possible hardware problems [parts problems], etc. I'm sorry, but again, I don't really work on Computer Systems/PC's, so I can't help you with those type problems. Remember that this is actually a Printer Repair Site and you may need help from a Computer Technician, rather than a Printer Technician. If the self-test does not print out normally or it does not look ok, then you can assume the problem is in your printer. Run the "Stand Alone Self-Test" and let us know how it turned out. If the blue on the nozzle test is not printing fully [missing segments or lines on the printout], or not printing at all, let us know. If I can help you further, I will try...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Heather (8/12/04 11:00 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the advice, Denny. I ran the self cleaning programs on both printers, and the photo printer at least seems to be working now. Still checking out the Epson. I really appreciate your help!

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Denny Conway (8/12/04 12:50 PM) reply + / -
Heather: You're welcome! I'm glad at least one of your printers seems to be working better now...Denny Conway

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Anonymous (8/17/04 12:26 PM) reply + / -
I also have a problem with my printer, it's an Epson stylus CX5200 and it won't print any color at all although it prints black very well!

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Anonymous (8/17/04 12:26 PM) reply + / -
I also have a problem with my printer, it's an Epson stylus CX5200 and it won't print any color at all although it prints black very well!

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Denny Conway (8/17/04 1:43 PM) reply + / -
Anonymous: On most Epson Printers you can usually run an "Internal Epson Self-Test Page" to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or possibly from your Computer System. Of course if there are actually any Red Error Lights/Leds, already showing on your printer, that would indicate that there is already a problem in your printer. Not all Epson Printers are always the same, but the following information applies to most models. If this self-test does not actually work on your particular printer, then you should refer to your "User's Manual/Owners Manual" for the correct procedure on how to run your printers self-test page. First unhook/unplug the printer cable from the back or side of the printer. Leave the power cord still plugged in to the wall and leave the paper loaded, as normal. Turn the printer off for 10 seconds or so, to clear out any remaining DATA or Information that may still have been in the printers system, from when the computer was previously connected. Normally [on most models] you turn the printer off and then you simply reach over and hold-in on the Paper Button, while you reach over and turn the Power Button back on, as normal. Continue to hold in on the paper button for about 3 to 5 seconds, but release the power button after turning your printer on. Release the paper button once you can hear and see the printer starting to initialize and start to pull-in a piece of paper. The printer will normally print out the Internal Epson Self-Test Copy, which will also have a Nozzle Test on it. If everything is working correctly in the printers Paper Feed Assembly, Carriage Assembly/Cartridge Assembly and the Printhead Assembly, then the self-test copy should be printed out and correctly fed thru the printer. If the self-test page prints out correctly and the nozzle test looks ok, then that indicates that your printer thinks it is working normally [as far as the self-test goes]. This does not mean your printer may not be dirty, or have another service related problem, or possibly even nearly empty ink cartridges. If your printer is working ok, then your problem could be in your Computer System/PC: bad drivers, bad printer cable, bad software, incorrect internal PC settings, possible hardware/parts problems, possible virus, etc...Denny Conway

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Denny Conway (8/17/04 1:54 PM) reply + / -
Anonymous...Follow-up to first reply: If there is actually no colors showing up on that nozzle test [only black showing], at least you know the problem is in your printer and not related to your computer system. In that case, it's possible that you may even have an actual HARDWARE/PARTS PROBLEM, or even a bad/failing ink cartridge or cartridges [especially if you are using Non-Epson Ink Cartridge], but normally the most common problem is clogging of the Printhead Nozzles. First try cleaning the Electrical Chip on the ink cartridge itself and the Electrical Contact Area inside the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly". With your printer turned off and unplugged, simply try cleaning all the electrical contacts carefully and gently, with Distilled Water on Q-Tips or on a lint free rag. Its possible that the electrical contacts, or the electrical chip on the ink cartridge, or the electrical contacts inside the print cartridge holder assembly, may simply be dirty. Using damp Q-tips [not wet or dripping], gently and carefully wipe off the copper colored electrical plates on the cartridges and the electrical contacts inside the holder assy. Its best to use "Distilled Water", because it has less chemicals and minerals in it, than tap water and regular tap water can actually cause additional problems. Use new dry Q-Tips to dry off all the electrical contacts after cleaning, because electricity and water do not mix well...The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge or cartridges [even if they are new], is to actually replace it, if you have not already done so. Just try one cartridge first to see if that causes that color to work. If it does, then you can try the other two colors. The only way to actually test the cartridges you already have, is to test them in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. Unfortunatly, that is usually not practical, unless you know someone that has the same printer or uses the same cartridge in their printer. If that does not help, then you might want to try using the Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution, available through the Home Page on "fixyourownprinter.com", at http://fixyourownprinter.com/ . When it opens, click-on Epson, under PRINTER REPAIR KITS. Then click-on "Epson Stylus Head Cleaning Solution" and that page should then open correctly. The Epson Solution sells for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using Epson inks. This is the same chemical used by Epson in their service department. You can try it if you want to and see if you can get the printhead nozzles to open up again, but that will only help if they are actually clogged. It was basically designed by Epson Company for use on their older models of ink jet printers, but people have been using on the newer models, with some sucess reported. If you want to see what's involved in print head cleaning, Wes has supplied a link that might help: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html and he also suggests trying the SSC Service Utility from here: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . Unfortunatly, that SSC Utility does not work on all printers and on all Operating Systems, so you will have to actually check for yourself...You might want to check out the "Stylus C82 & CX-5200 Blank Output" information page, put out by Compass Micro Inc, at http://www.compassmicro.com/tip_detail.cfm?TechTipID=23 . I'm sorry, but there's no way for me to know if that information will actually apply to your printers problem. It seems like most of the problems are not actually related to clogging, or even a bad or empty ink cartridge, but is usually more of a Hardware/Parts Failure, but no way for me to really know. It seems to happen most of the time, just by simply repacing the ink cartridges, as normal. I know this information does not really give you that much to go on, but I felt you should know about other peoples reports, just in case it happens to apply in your case...Good Luck! Denny Conway...P.S. Let me know if you are going to actually try that Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution [kit] and I'll send you some additional information, if you post your e-mail address.

Re: Printers won't print yellow?!! by Anonymous (2/11/05 10:18 PM) reply + / -
won't even recognise that the cartrige is there from the print menue on the computer screen.. but shows full on the printer. i have now cleaned all print heads all metal contacts replaced 3 yellow cartridges ran all tests and still nothing and epson wants me to send it to them is it worth these troubles? owned it for 13 mths..any suggestions?

Re: Printers won't print yellow?!! by the Brat (2/11/05 10:20 PM) reply + / -
cx5200 Epson won't even recognise that the cartrige is there from the print menue on the computer screen.. but shows full on the printer. i have now cleaned all print heads all metal contacts replaced 3 yellow cartridges ran all tests and still nothing and epson wants me to send it to them is it worth these troubles? owned it for 13 mths..any suggestions?

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Denny Conway (2/14/05 3:27 PM) reply + / -
the Brat: Unfortunatly, there have been a lot of failures on the "CX5200" model, as well as several newer models. Unfortunatly, most of those failures seem to occur, just after the warranty expires. If Epson Company is going to repair your printer for free, then thats probably the best route to go. I suggest you go to http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/23702 and read the posted message "Re: clogged Epson CX5200 by Gary (2/11/05 3:58 PM)". Gary's posted message, may even apply in your case...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Printers won't print blue!?!! by Videoman15 (10/1/12 12:20 PM) reply + / -
I have an epson sx425w and since i last changed a yellow cartridge ( not epson ink... I NEVER use those cartridges after the initial free ones ) I have not had yellow ink printed.
The yellow colour does not even print in the 'nozzle check' mode, black, cyan and magenta are all there.
After a lot of head-cleaning, I still have no yellow. I have turned off, turned on, cleaned heads, printed test sheets etc...... all to no avail!
Any advice would be most appreciated,
thank you.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters