fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP officejet 7130 print head

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP officejet 7130 print head by pilgrim (7/7/04 4:53 PM) reply-1 + / -
A message 'IDS Failure Call HP' came up on the message screen after replacing the color and black ink cartridges. The black had run dry, (I know I should have replaced sooner, but....)

Cleaned the print heads and did a 'semi-reset' and still get the message. The unit will not print black text. The icon prints beautiful on the print test, but no black text. Is there a way to clean the print heads themselves? If so how and with what? Thanks, robert

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by pilgrim (7/8/04 6:19 PM) reply+1 + / -
Found out the 'IDS' is ink delivery system. Will time heal all wounds? If someone has an idea, please let me know.

Thanks, Robert

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Price (7/25/04 12:55 PM) reply + / -
I can turn the printer off and back on and the error message goes away. However, after printing five or six pages the printer starts printing shades of blue or pink but no black. I can turn the printer off and back on and it will corrent the problem - but agian it will only print a few pages before printing the off colors in place of black. Does HP have an answer to this? This is quite frustrating.
I've cleaned the black print head and replaced the black print head. The test page shows I've printed fewer than 900 pages. Two print heads for 900 pages is a bit much!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Robert (7/25/04 3:34 PM) reply-1 + / -
You may have to clean the printer head contacts. Some recommend using a swab and alcohol. Mine are not right yet. Have not purchased the print heads. Good luck

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dpotter (7/27/04 11:16 PM) reply + / -
instead of replacing the printheads clean the contacts then take the print head out of the machine and set it on a wet paper towel see if all of the jets bleed the problem is the dds or drop detect sensor in your machine is not detecting a drop could be the jets for that area is clogged. dont worry hp inks are water soluable unless you get them on your hands the water from the paper towel will be sucked into the jet and clean it repeat until all you jets bleed freely.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dpotter (7/27/04 11:17 PM) reply + / -
instead of replacing the printheads clean the contacts then take the print head out of the machine and set it on a wet paper towel see if all of the jets bleed the problem is the dds or drop detect sensor in your machine is not detecting a drop could be the jets for that area is clogged. dont worry hp inks are water soluable unless you get them on your hands the water from the paper towel will be sucked into the jet and clean it repeat until all you jets bleed freely.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Price (7/28/04 7:57 AM) reply + / -
I sent the error message (IDS Failure) to HP and they are sending me a new printer.
If the same problem happens again I'll try the wet paper towel solution.
Thanks

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Jeff (8/5/04 6:56 AM) reply + / -
I used the wet paper towel solution and it solved my problem. Thank you.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Price (8/5/04 7:12 AM) reply + / -
The new HP arrived yesterday. I'm in the process of changing printers. If this printer has the same problem I'll try the wet paper towel.
Does the wet paper towel solve the problem in the long term or is it something you have to do on a routine basis (like every time you've printed X number of pages)?
If it's a procedure that has to be done over and over then there's something wrong with either the print head design or the ink mixture.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Jeff (8/5/04 7:24 PM) reply + / -
I'll have to see how long it works but I had also apparently let the black run dry and it had sat for a while. I put in a new black cartridge and ran clean a few times but still had bad color and then I received the IDS failure message. I did the paper towel routine on all the heads and I now have full color back and the IDS message has not returned. Just in case you're wondering, I'm using HP ink.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Bruce (8/24/04 2:03 PM) reply + / -
I believe this error rears its ugly head often after you try to REFILL the cartridge yourself.
This can void your warranty!
Santa Cruz Computer Services

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Price (8/24/04 2:33 PM) reply + / -
Tbe print heads and the ink cartridge(s) are all HP original products. NO refill's no third party stuff. EVERY morning when I power up the printer I have to use a wet/damp paper towel to get the black ink started. I also have an Epson all-in-one printer. I've not had any problems with the Epson. I've now swaped the HP with the Epson. The Epson was on my wife's computer and she very seldom prints anything.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (5/18/05 4:38 AM) reply + / -
Yeah, IDS failure, too - ran out of blue, then I tried a used ink tub - NO PRINTING AT ALL, then I replaced with a a NEW HP color tub, and it ran out of red at the paper ... then IDS FAILURE CALL HP - GEESH!

HP INK ONLY: You'd think with separate ink tubs from the separate print heads that refilling the ink would be a breeze - but NO, HP imbedded chips in the tubs and in the printer to defeat that, so in spite of researching all the patch ups from 3rd parties, I NEVER got a self-refilled tub to work - wasted ALL my money on refill inks, filling used tubs and then the printer stopped using them regardless ...

DON'T LET IT RUN OUT OF INK: Sadly, even with HP inks, it was quirky. Sometimes it would recover from running out of ink, sometimes it would completely fail and require a complete rebuild from HP when it ran out of ink. "IDS failure call HP" - like THAT's gonna happen at 5 a.m. when I'm preparing a presentation for delivery in the morning - NOT! The manual warns about running out of ink, and they aren't kidding. Apparently HP wants you to WASTE what remaining ink there is in a tub and remove it BEFORE it gets empty and replace it with a new ink tub and, what, throw out the remaining ink? WHAT A WASTE!!! So I wasted even MORE money on unused HP inks - wa$te, wa$te, wa$te! ...

CROOKED: Why can it NOT print STRAIGHT on a page? NEVER ONCE IN IT'S LIFE DID IT PRINT STRAIGHT ON A PAGE - I know I'm yelling, but, hey, HP, did you not even TEST this design before you let Canon ship it with your logo on it? Do you care THAT LITTLE about your name and your customer's impression of you? ...

CRUMPLED PAPER: At least 1 out of every 10 sheets of paper was wrinkled on the leading edge as it got pulled through the printer - GEESH - if I wanted a paper shredder ...

BAD DESIGN ALL OVER: I cannot imagine a more porly executed design than this one - NOT ready for prime time. ALL the design elements are probably good ones in concept, but the execution of the design is so naieve and imature and reveals novice inexperience on the part of new tech hires at Canon (apparently the sub-contract builder) and HP that I think they have lost ALL continuity with their heritage. The name HP no longer means a thing. It might as well say BRAND X on it.

GOOD SIDE: Then it printed clearly (rarely), the photos were nice, though crooked, requiring trimming the paper to be samller rectangle than the 8.5x11 and remounting - again, a waste of paper, so the good side was very hard to appreciate. It did make fast "draft" copies in monochrome - an expensive investment for draft copies, I'd say!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (5/22/05 6:44 PM) reply + / -
I am now going thru the "call HP" error message. I was on the phone w/ A TECH for an hour or more. his conclusion was I needed 4 new print heads @ a cost of $140. He suggested thet I buy a new 5110 all in one for $145 instead. I ddnt realize at the time that HP had imbedded chips in the ink & heads. He is to call me tomorrow so I'll see what he has to say about that. In the meantime I will try the " wet paper towel" technical repair.....MIP

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (5/24/05 12:05 PM) reply + / -
I'm soaking the print heads in Windex (NO substitute!!!) and also squirting a little Windex into the IDS Ink Delivery System AND into the bottom of the ink tub to see if Windex (water, amonia AND lubricants) going through the system will help.

This is a pain, and takes PATIENCE - so I'm waiting overnight between soaking and reinstalling and tests.

I got ONLY ~6 pages okay after the last Windex cleaning before the blue stopped printing again (yes, there IS blue ink!). I hope to eventually get it clean completely.

I hate HP.

ARGH!

More later.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by pseverini (10/9/05 3:40 PM) reply + / -
Folks,

I only replaced my ink with HP products and I encountered the same issue. I only printed 100 pages before my printer raised the "IDS - Failure" problem. HP technical support was aware of the problem when I called them. They told me the only solution was to spend money on new print heads. I have had no success in getting it work. Buyer beware. Is anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (10/9/05 4:05 PM) reply + / -
I'd be willing to participate in a class action suit. I heard somewhere that one has already been filed. I think they should replace all these machines with new ones that don't have separate print heads. I tried the "wet paper towel" method and it didn't work......MIP

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (10/12/05 6:20 AM) reply + / -
Funny thing: I have a bunch of customers with the same printer, and I swapped the deffective print heads back and forth, and now the once deffective print head no longer gets errors when put BACK into the original printer. Hmmm. I'll let you all know if it lasts any longer as a really true "solution".

I think perhaps we just need to find new purhase receipts and get HP to swap the print head for all of us under their own warranty.

I guess the problem is that HP us used to selling the ink and head as one unit, so they never before had one print head last a long time, and they did not know that their designers we not up to the task since everyone was throwing our the old print heads as soon as they ran out of ink in the older designs because the ink and head were one unit. Go figure!

Okay, HP, your reputation or future customers -- which do you want to keep? I imagine it costs a bundle in advertising to get someone to purchase an HP printer in the first place, and it must cost 10 times that much to get a previously unhappy customer to try HP again -- like us!!! I imagine a replacement print head is much less expensive than all that advertising to win us back.

What say, HP, how about an extended warranty for these naievely designed systems, eh?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by gsjostrand (10/19/05 10:39 PM) reply + / -
For what it is worth, I just used your suggestions about cleaning the print head on a damp paper towel and cleaned the contacts with alcohol. It now works. Fantastic.. Thanks

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by HP_hater (10/24/05 4:06 AM) reply + / -
I officially hate HP printers and want to throw mine out the window under the path of a big truck.

I did however just try the wet paper towel suggestion as well as cleaning the contacts of the printheads and it finally WORKS. So a gigantic THANK YOU to Robert and this forum. Shame I just spent over $100 on new printheads which it now appears I don't need to use... I suppose i'll sell them on Ebay!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (10/24/05 6:11 AM) reply + / -

For what it's worth, I swapped the failing print heads into another 7100-series printer and then back again, and they seem to have mysteriously "healed" as if all the printer needed was to reset them or reset it's sensor chips.

I think this printer was a novice design from someone just out of technical school with absolutely NO field experience with real end-user situations, maintenance, failure, and troubleshooting in real life.

PS - The HP OfficeJet 7200 series uses a different printing setup, so they apparently backed off this stoopid design!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com http://www.peterblaise.com/

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (10/24/05 10:07 AM) reply + / -
Everybody thank you for sharig this information. It was great! Though Hp products have really degraded and I don't know that I'll purchase from them again.
RY

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dinofiji (11/16/05 10:38 PM) reply + / -
I have the same IDS failure on my 7130xi. I don't think I've even printed 100 pages on this thing. I have not had any trouble with my 4 year old HP Photosmart 1115, but my "NEW" 7130 is nothing but. I think it's time to switch brands. Will try the wet paper towel solution. Thanks for the info.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jef (12/11/05 8:01 AM) reply + / -
Same problem here as dinofiji. Very frustrating with money and time spent trying to research and fix the issue. Tried the wet towel approach and got one page to print, then it went back to existing and continuing issue. Time to throw in the towel and remove HP product line! Did anybody find out about a class action suit against HP on this issue?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dinofiji (12/12/05 3:54 PM) reply + / -
I tried the wet paper towel, but got vertical lines through anything I print. When I try to calibrate/align the heads, the IDS message returned. Next step I guess, is to see how much the geek squad wants to fix this thing. Warning to all: Don't buy a printer with separate print heads and ink cartridges.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (12/12/05 6:28 PM) reply + / -
I sent an email to the CEO of HP and suggested he look at this thread of postings about his printer. I got an email reply in 6 hours and a phone call(which I missed) within 24 hours. I will post the result of my return call tomorrow.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Peter Blaise Monahon (12/13/05 4:50 AM) reply + / -
One of my customers just donated their printer to Goodwill Industries -- with enough of them going there, maybe Goodwill can make one good one out of the parts from every three or four that arrive? That's more than HP can do! ;-)

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (12/13/05 9:08 AM) reply + / -
I spoke to the executive office of HP this morning. All I got was a thanks for giving them the feedback and no indication they would replace the machine. I kept telling the lady that they had a failed product experiment ( separate printheads) and they should replace all the machines when customers complain. She gave me the "little cog in the big system" speech and said she would forward the information to the "design group". Oh well/......

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (12/13/05 9:11 AM) reply + / -
The URL below shows the page on HP's website to send a message to the CEO. Why don't you all send a similar message and see if we can get their attention. She said I was the first one to email. I told HER that finding the address to send the CEO an email was very well hidden on the site. I told her if they cared about feedback his address should be on the home page. http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/email_3.html

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Patrick_34957 (1/1/06 7:19 PM) reply + / -
I have not replaced the heads on my 7130 because I was alarmed at how quickly the original heads dried out. I won't spend about $100 for 3 heads when I can get a bulk pack of ink jet cartridges for my Officejet G55, Deskjet 970Cxi and 1120C, which all use the same cartridges. My 7130 is something just for scanning a stack of papers for OCR because of its built-in auto document feeder.

In an e-mail I told Mr. Hurd that I need an address to send my 7130 paperweight for recycling because I wouldn't want to donate it to a charitable organization for a tax credit. The charity would then experience the same high operating cost for this clunker as myself, which makes no sense at all.

If HP actually replies, I will advise.

Best of 2006 to you all-

Patrick

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (1/2/06 1:49 PM) reply + / -
for some reason you link came thru as an "unsubscribe" link

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Jerome Miller (1/4/06 10:48 PM) reply + / -
I live like a King, I drive big fancy cars, I have the latest and greatest of all the big boy's toys, and I spend money like there's no tomorrow. But not at someone else's expense.

I've taken products from concept through design and prototyping, that I knew would not work as intended. Some even made it through production and ended up on a dealers shelf and that's where they sat. All costing less then a hundred dollars. No one got burnt. People aren't st upped, they can see the product won't work as intended and don't buy.

But when you can't see the hidden operating cost and when a giant like HP bringing an expensive product to market like the 7130, untested, knowing it won't work for it's intended purpose for an except able time period and within reasonable operating cost, then refuses to do anything about the problem.

I don't believe in making lawyers rich with class action suits either.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (1/6/06 10:24 AM) reply + / -
Jerome is right. When he drives a big fancy car he sees himself in women's clothes with a dildo in one hand and an HP 7130 in the other. By the way, I used a wet paper towel, and it worked!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Patrick_34957 (1/7/06 5:21 AM) reply + / -
I am not into wet paper towels. I don't like a "quick fix", "field fix" or "the quicker picker upper". I don't like baby wipes, but I think I may send coupons for Depends undergarmets to Mr. Hurd. (Cow manure is a bit expensive to ship through the mail.)

I can trick out a Yugo or a Ford Pinto, but not a 7130. I can tune the front ends, comparator horn and travelling wave tube on an X-band Acquisition radar also. But I don't want to use a wet paper towel on a printer at the end of the day because I do so many other workarounds for stuff that does not perform as intended. Hmmm...maybe I'll solder the cigarette lighter adapter on my radar detector, unjam some buttons on a cell phone, edit the host files on my Unix machine, drive my son to laser tag and oh----yeah...get a wet paper towel....nope--not for the what that sloth of a printer costs...don't think so.

Here is the reply I have from them so far:

Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:34:38 -0800

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for taking the time to send HP your comments.
They have been forwarded to the appropriate people within Hewlett-Packard for their information and action.
Should more clarification or information be needed, you may be contacted directly.
Your input is important to us and very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

CEO Customer Relations

Blah blah blah----typical global superconglomerate trash talkin'...

I'm just going to box it up and send it to them.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (1/7/06 8:13 AM) reply + / -
I received a phone call from the HP "Executive Offices". I got the same blah blah blah, we appreciate your feedback...yak yak,yak. I asked if they were going to replace all the units from their "failed experiment" and received no answer. I guess Grandmas rule applies here......If rape is inevitable, just lay down and enjoy it....a sad state of affairs for a company wondering why they are losing market share.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (1/12/06 10:59 AM) reply + / -
I just e-mailed Mr. Hurd as well. My printer has been sitting for over 6 months with ids failure. After reading this forum I tried the paper towel solution. After all that, I found that my color print cartridge has expired and that now I also have bad printheads. With what it will cost to replace printheads and print cartridges I can buy a new printer. With the problems that I have experienced with this product I will not spend the money to see if replacing printheads and print cartridges will fix the problems. I am hoping that hp will send me printheads and print cartridges free of charge. Will wait for a reply from hp to determine if I should continue my loyalty with them.

Re: Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (1/12/06 11:36 AM) reply + / -
Hi All,
My color prints are just a red and black blur. I changed the color print cartridge, but no luck. I do not have an error message, but thought it might be the print heads. I was searching the web for print head prices because I thought I may need to replace them on my 7130, and came across this website. I do not know if this is the same issue, but I am disheartened to hear these stories, regardless! As a small business owner working out of my home, I purchased this product hoping for flexibility because my space is limited.

I will contact HP costomer service in the meantime. But, I would like to hear from others about my problem.

Thanks!
Leslie

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Patrick_34957 (1/13/06 2:52 AM) reply + / -
I received a call from HP customer relations and was told that if I "just look on the website" I could find a banner that describes how to recycle a product. I told the lady that she had called my bluff and that I really did not want to recycle my 7130 becuse I use the auto document feeder to scan directly into Adobe Acrobat. I told her that ink jet cartridges came out years ago and they would never have sold if they performed as poorly as print head cartridges. WE all know that months in the computer industry equates to years everywhere else, so years as far as computers are concerned would equate to eons everywhere else and they have made no effort to correct this problem.

I told her that she needs to get with the design crew on this product and ask them to create ink jet cartridges that would replace print heads and to hurry up because color laser printers are starting to cost less than $300.

They used Fedex to ship a number 78 ink jet cartridge for my OfficeJet G55 which arrived the next day.

Now I get to follow up from square one...

I say we just keep sending them e-mails and wait until it is the right time for color laserjet All-In-One devices to hit the market.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by junkman (1/13/06 5:14 AM) reply + / -
I've concluded that HP doesn't give a damn about the customers unhappy with the 7130. They experimented with a new "disposable" component and it failed. We are left holding the junk!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Laszlo Kulcsar (1/16/06 6:39 PM) reply + / -
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen:

Much appreciate your input regarding the printheads. After experiencing the same problem twice, the second time I got wiser and did a Google search instead of buying a new set of printheads.
Presto, out came the solution, the allmighty wet towel fix...
It worked and I will not shell out another $140 to HP.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Best regards,

Laz Kulcsar

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by davidatpagebank (1/16/06 6:44 PM) reply + / -
HP Posted a solution on the 14th at HP.com. I searched under printers for hp7100 ids and saw this link:

HP Officejet D and 7100 Series Printers with HP 14 Printheads - IDS Failure - c00296705
Resolving IDS Failure
2006-01-14

I just tried it, and it seems to have worked. It involves removing the print head (there are diagrams in the link), cycling the printer on and off, then re-installing the print head.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by laszlo kulcsar (1/17/06 5:49 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for your input. The next time I'll have a problem I will follow it. ITMT, I will also keep the wet paper towel nearby.

Best regards,

Laz

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by nvzyn (1/30/06 1:36 PM) reply + / -
I'm a Mechanical Engineer that use to work for HP (laid off when Carly purchased Compaq). There was frequant internal bebates between engineering and marketing over the emphasis on "consumables" and the fact that HP was becoming a pass thru branding company that made nothing. The priority was NOT on doing what's best for the customer when it came to consumables (paper and ink).

I think the separate ink tank and print head design is superior to having the print head on the cartridge, but putting the "smart chips" on each probably created the majority of the problems. Preventing refills is borderline unethical and should be illegal and some European waste initiatives are going to put a stop to the brain dead "marketing" practice.

I have a 7130 that occassionally has the IDS failure, but I've been able to reset it with a combination of the wet towel and power on/off cycling.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (1/30/06 8:06 PM) reply + / -
Just to update everyone. HP did call back and after explaining my problems with my 7130 the woman on the other end was sympathetic and understanding but was only authorized to send me two print products. I explained that it would cost $185.00 to replace the four printheads and the two print cartridges and still I would not know if the problems would be fixed and for how long if they were fixed. Again, she apologized and re-stated that she was only authorized to send me two print cartridges. I asked her to send out a black and a color cartridge. They arrived within two days. I have not decided if I will splurge for the four printheads. It will still cost $130.00. Since the printer cost me $500.00 when I purchased it I really resent having to invest so much money for printheads. I was at a Best Buy store last week and checked out the printers on display. There were like 6 different cartridges in the HP printers. At least the replacements were $10.00. However, I did not find the printheads needed for my 7130. Either they were out of them or they are no longer carrying them. I will post back when and if I replace the printheads to let everyone know if the problem was corrected.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by radman2day (2/5/06 10:23 PM) reply + / -
Anyone want to buy a $500 scanner and card reader.....After 928 pages of printing I too got the IDS error reading...It prints text with purple and blue ink....Whats really wierd is it will print a great looking photo of my bike which is black white and yellow in great detail a full 8 by 10.....tried all the tricks from hp site, no good. So I called the number from their email message to me that they said I should call if the fix didn't work and got a woman on the phone that told me I could not talk to tec support because I was over the one year for service....but I could take my machine to some other company for them to tell me what it needed at a 30 dollar price tag.....I am pissed.....What a crap company.....even if I get this thing to work using the wet paper towel trick I will never buy another thing that has HP in it's name.....Rat Shack is another place I do not use...They once serviced a VCR for a cost of $80 got it back then played one movie and the ejection tray broke on it...took it down the next day to Rat Shack and the Manager said he would need to write it up again and would require another $40 to send it back....I was pissed I told him I felt like throwing him through the front window. I could see he was a little scared so I walked out of the store and threw the VCR into the bed of my truck smashing it into at least 50 pieces. I then picked them up and took them back into the store and put them on the counter. The Manager looked at me and I told him to write it up for a repair. It took about a minute before he replied he couldn't so I told him just to take all the pieces and stick it up his as? ......That is how I feel about this HP

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by radman2day (2/6/06 5:13 PM) reply + / -
Have to report that the wet paper towel trick did the trick....Printing black again.....What I don't get is why HP doesn't have this posted as a possible fix....I guess they want to make more money from us unhappy owners of this unit....glad I came across this thread...
Thanks to all

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by pgarri27 (2/9/06 7:09 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I have an IDS failure HP 7130. Thanks to the comments here, the wet towel, the on-off/remove-replace the print head tricks, I got this POS to work again. We have several 7130's in this office, half on the floor as dead equipment. The other half have made HP ton's of free money, as we have purchased cartridges and heads to fix the problems. We are switching to Dell printers in protest, but it may just be another set of problems.

Boo to HP!

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (2/12/06 10:49 AM) reply + / -
The reason you get IDS Failure call HP is because when your ink cartridges run dry, air gets into the printheads, the printheads become ruined and you can't fix them, even with a paper towel. Your best bet is to have an extra ink cartrige and watch the ink gauge instead of spending $130

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (2/14/06 10:50 AM) reply + / -

Previously: "The reason you get IDS Failure call HP is because when your ink cartridges run dry, air gets into the printheads, the printheads become ruined and you can't fix them, even with a paper towel. Your best bet is to have an extra ink cartrige and watch the ink gauge instead of spending $130"

Peter Blaise responds:

B.S.

The reason for the failure is bad design that is inappropriate to release to the general public - NOT READY FOR SALE, that is, unwarrantable.

$130 does not resolve the problem as the problem is still there in the design of the $130 replacement.

And 'air" is not the only cause. It appears to be idiopathic, and unrelated to the ink tanks being at any height.

HP should recall it and refund or replace any models when we contact them - or loose us forever.

After using ours for a while on black only, then we donated it to Goodwill and bought a Brother.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by nvzyn (2/15/06 8:20 PM) reply + / -
I don't even believe air in the printheads or manifold is the true cause of the IDS failure. It seems that the printer is extremely sensitive to nozzle clogs & I don't believe HP wants to admit this. I've been able to fix numerous 7130s & d145 with IDS failures by soaking the head surfaces in Windex and reseting the printers per HP's website instructions & the #+7 keys during plug in. If they would dump the %#^$ "smart chip" idea a lot of these issues would not happen.

I have noticed that these printers consume ink likes it's going out of style when you take new cartridges in and out of several machines. I've noticed them firing all the nozzles when opening the front to the point of actually creating a small ink cloud in the park position.

HP has been taken over by marketing and sales people and the engineers rarely have a voice in new product development.

Re: HP officejet d125xi print head by darthfader (2/24/06 5:53 PM) reply+4 + / -
Got IDS error after cleaning the printheads (no magenta). More cleaning, more errors. Tried HP IDS solution on the website- no help. Called HP chat, got the buy new printheads and 15% discount on new printer. Asked for service- got Radio Shack telephone numbers. I tried wet towels/windex type solution for only 2-3 minutes and it worked. Probably temporary!!. Has everyone had BAD luck with knock-off cartridges and/or refills of your HP cartridges by inkjet companies? I don't quite understand this "chip" problem.

Re: HP officejet d145 print head - /RANT ON by md303 (2/24/06 6:39 PM) reply + / -
I have a D145 OfficeJet that is BRAND NEW (well, refurbished by HP and sent to me as a replacement for the FIRST D145. On the second printer, the first 3 pages came out fine, the next few showed white banding, and finally quit printing all but cyan, followed by IDS errors, bad printhead errors, and empty cartridge warnings. I installed new cartridges, did the printhead reset thing, and it printed a LITTLE black during the alignment stage, then quit again. All I get is cyan output and error messages. This is the last straw, HP will never get another penny from me, and I'll try hard to steer my employer in another direction for computers as well. We have several Color LaserJet 4600 printers that all started having various errors, non-responding NICs, and leaky magenta cartridges. Years before that, our CLJ 4500s did the same thing - ruin expensive supplies, and dump magenta all over the place.

We now have a few Xerox color lasers that have been FLAWLESS for over two years now - I mean completely trouble-free! GO XEROX!
HP, you need a reality check. Every HP inkjet I've seen for the past 5 years has been a klunky, thin-plastic, fragile piece of garbage that fails after 2000 pages, often before the original ink tanks are gone, gets replaced under warranty by a "refurbished" one which shows up DOA in most cases, and the owner gives up and buys a Lexmark (which is 100x more junky). HP, you are doing it on purpose to make massive amounts of money by selling defective products and doing nothing but apologize, shrug your shoulders and disconnect the line. Forget you!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by adamttt (2/27/06 8:29 PM) reply + / -
I've had my HP7130 for almost two years. It was "offline" and "out of service" for about six months when I could not purchase ink carts for it. Anyway ...

About 6 months after I purchased it, I found that the colour printing was striping. I got the IDS problem - called HP and spent two days on the phone. After arguing LONG and hard with them, threatening Trade Practices and Fair Trading, they finally agreed not to just send out a new Magenta Head, but one for each of the colours. I then further argued that as I've spent two days cleaning the heads on the phone with them chewing up enourmous ink volums, they should send me new ink - whcih also arrived.

I've overall had no problems since then. The new heads have been great, and thousands of pages have been printed. Ink is a pain, it's very expensive compared to my Epson 1290 and my mid 2005 purchased Canon iP5000.

I like the individual component/head/ink design. It means you aren't forking out for totally components when something goes wrong. Today i learned a refill on one of my HP14 carts was only partially complated as it had heaps of one colour left in it - if it was my Canon iP5000, I'd only be replaceing a $19 cartridge of one colour, rather than a $54 cart with one full colour, one partially used and one empty.

I think more care in design, get rid of the chips - they seem useless to me - and good customer service goes along way. it's a nice machine for the most part.

Mind you - two refilled colour inks today have both failed to report any level of ink - drawing me to this forum - as I'm trying to find out how to set the machine to ignore ink levels.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (3/18/06 5:44 PM) reply + / -
I wish I would have read this thread before I spent $50 on new ink cartridges only to realize that my printer will never again work.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by MTH (3/22/06 12:53 PM) reply + / -
Please believe me you probably don't need a new printhead. I move printheads in and out of printers 4 to 10 times a day, testing printers and creating good working full set's of printheads for my printers. Pretty much all printhead failures and IDE failures is do to a bad interface between the printhead and the printer. If you look at the side of the printhead you will see a metal strip that printer and the printhead communicate. You my have to do this a number of times but it will work. Pull the pinhead half way out and push it back down 3 or 4 times, after you push it down the last time push it forward into the printer a little. Close the door and if you have created a new connection the error message will go away. Do not get frustrated if you get another error message and have to do it all over again that is just part of getting it to work. What you are trying to do is get a perfect interface or lining up of the printer and the printheads. Another issue is that the printheads can dry out if they are not in constant use so it my help if you dip the printhead in about 1/4 inch of warm water and wipe it on tissue till you have two colored lines. I know this will work for you.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by MTH (3/22/06 1:43 PM) reply + / -
Most all IDS failure are do to a bad interface between printer and printheads, that is what you have. I sounds like the magenta printhead is having some issues. Pretty much all printhead failures and IDE failures is do to a bad interface between the printhead and the printer. If you look at the side of the printhead you will see a metal strip that printer and the printhead communicate. You my have to do this a number of times but it will work. Pull the pinhead half way out and push it back down 3 or 4 times, after you push it down the last time push it forward into the printer a little. Close the door and if you have created a new connection the error message will go away. Do not get frustrated if you get another error message and have to do it all over again that is just part of getting it to work. What you are trying to do is get a perfect interface or lining up of the printer and the printheads. Another issue is that the printheads can dry out if they are not in constant use so it my help if you dip the printhead in about 1/4 inch of hot water and wipe it on tissue till you have two colored lines. Leave in the water for a few minute if it is realy dry. ADD some windex if the water alone does not work. Good luck.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by bobjen96 (3/29/06 1:44 PM) reply + / -
I'm sorry to hear that this appears to be a common problem with this model. I called HP for a local authorized service rep. They referred me to Office Depot and Best Buy. Sorry to say that neither company has repair service for the products they sell. I will definitely try the wet paper towel trick.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by pjulien (5/23/06 2:41 AM) reply + / -
Now have a collection of a dozen printheads. Tried paper towel trick and warm water. My black print-head works for a few minutes maximum, then dries up again. Full tubs of HP ink. Black will not print. The printer tries to simulate black (I think) with blue and some other colour. Any more suggestions?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (7/2/06 10:07 PM) reply + / -
I also am having this problem with my HP7130. Thanks to this eye-openin web-page. I also like to be included in suing HP with business misconduct and irresponsibility taking care of their defected and badly design product. An expensive and not reliable product.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by PJL (7/28/06 5:53 AM) reply + / -
I was give a 7130 for free (1400 pages) and got it working again. I found 3 problem areas:
1) Due to a design problem, the connections at the back of the printhead can become clogged with ink causing errors. I cleaned mine with isopropyl alcohol.
2) The printhead jets can become blocked with dried ink causing streaks and printhead failure error. I used the paper towel method and I still have occasional streaking with black which I am hoping may clear with use.
3) The printhead can become air locked causing printhead failure errors. This requires a prime performed by connecting the power to the printer with the 7 and # key held down and leaving them down until a reset message appears on the screen.

Dried out ink problems are common to all inkjet printers I have ever owned. You need to print at least 1 page of colour a day to keep the ink flowing. The printhead is supposed to last 24,000? pages so you can assume that most problems are NOT due to wear. If the ink runs for a bit then stops with a printhead error you probably have an air lock. Complete step 1 & 2 on all heads and step 3 once reassembled.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (8/12/06 9:59 PM) reply + / -
I, too, had the ids failure to notify HP. I tried the wet paper towel test. The printer still prints a purple color vs black.
All other colors work correctly. So far I have gone through four black cartridges thinking that I had bad ink. Even called the tech support where I have the warrantity. They stated that the print head was bad and should be replaced. I know this to be incorrect since reading all of these articles. I too, believe that HP has a bad device here and should replace it. Too much money has been spent on this printer to sinply change to another one.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by alexvicmii (edited 8/24/06 4:22 PM) reply + / -
Guys,
I'd like to thank you, after reading your postings I was able to fix this piece of crap.
Not long ago, like most everyone here, I had a moment of madness and I bought an HP Officejet 7130. Within 1 year I changed few cartridges (I sporadically print though) and a set of print heads. Lately, the printer wasn't printing any color, just black. I knew the stupid thing dried out and I tried to fix it. I went from being upset, to desperation, to agony and then to suicidal...finally I found your postings and the warm water trick (8 hrs) worked. Thank you
Of course, HP cares less... they lost hundreds (thousands) of customers and many more I tell them not to buy an HP no more.
Alex

PS: the 'paper towel' method as used by me:

sinked the print heads 1/3 in water (keeping them 'up') while resting on a paper towel - I used the bathroom sink and I put a plastic bag under the towel not to stain the sink. I let it soak in that water for almost 8 hours.
It works like new - for now

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jcbnde (8/27/06 9:25 AM) reply + / -
After much frustration and giving the 7130 up for dead, I tried the paper towel method and even soaking in warm water. This is way too much work to print. I will see how long the printheads last with this reincarnation. If not sufficient, I will replace this printer with one not having printheads. Thank you so much for the 'Wet Paper Towel" trick.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by klonny (8/28/06 7:02 PM) reply + / -
I think it's sort of funny when I read most of the posts about voting with your wallet...Xerox is the best, etc, etc. because really what are our options? epson..who sells them?...Lexmark? not if you want a printer that's not a toy. Cannon...good luck finding one at Best Buy or Office Depot. Xerox..ok good but a bit pricey.

So that leaves you with HP. Which has been putting together pretty good products for the 15 years or so I've been using them. We live in a disposable age..so you can't expect these things to run for even 5 years with any amount of usage.

I too have had the dreaded IDS error...and streaking...and cleaned the printheads many times. But overall it's pretty sweet..for less tahn $500 I got a duplexing color copier...color printer that looks good on photo paper...color scanner...auto feed even...a fax machine with auto feed...and oh yeah just for fun a card reader. I love this damn thing. Come on!

Better than my first Epson...not as good as my b&W Cannon...and better than my last HP...yes expensive cartidges..but that's a price we've got to live with.

I'm going to buy HP next time..also I'll try and get the 3rd party cartidges if I can figure it out..but for the money this thing couldn't be beat (when I bought it 2+ years ago)

But I do like the class action idea..yes I'll probably get a coupon for $100 off a new printer, but that's how these corporations learn..the lawyers slap them hard they pay $5-10Million in attorneys fees and various other fees and lose some money on future sales..only we can nail them...that is unless you want to try and sue HP yourself.

P.S. Thanks for the great thread though..

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Ne1 (8/31/06 11:22 AM) reply + / -
Thank you all for your help!

You ve been extremely helpful!

My solution was the wet towel technique but i put the towel to the microwave to make it nice and warm.

Thank you all again.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (9/5/06 5:25 AM) reply + / -
With all the people listing these similiar problems I have not seen anyone list one like mine. My 7130 will copy pages perfectly but when I try to use it as a printer it give the IDS errors. Has anyone else had this issue?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (9/27/06 10:41 AM) reply + / -
On a post for another HP model, someone tried placing 7 - 10 drops of 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol directly into the inkwell of the printer head. Then he ran the printhead cleaning function and stated good results. Does this sound like a viable option? Or would the nozzle be damaged by such a cleaning method?

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (10/1/06 10:05 AM) reply + / -
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM NOW FOR OVER 1 YEAR. JUST REPLACED BOTH PRINT CARTRIDGES WITH HP ORIGINAL, SELECTED BLACK PRINT ONLY AND STILL HAVE SAME PROBLEM. YOUR ABSOLUTLY RIGHT ABOUT THAT INDIA BASED CUSTOMER "NO" SUPPORT.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Bobsyouruncle (11/26/06 7:42 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the info - will replace the HP POS 7110 tomorrow. HP - huge pain anymore.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Bob_S (12/6/06 4:20 PM) reply + / -
After an hour on-line with hp for support, my print problems like that cleared up when I
1) turn off printer and wait a bit
2) hold down two buttons while turning on - octothorpe (#) and 7
3) wait about 5 minutes for this 'priming' to finish.

But I also had replaced the black and cyan printhead first. Then the other two reported not working. This process fixed all.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (1/6/07 9:45 AM) reply + / -
Possibly the print heads are like the print cartridges.
The cartidgres have chips on them & the printer remembers the last three installed.
The P.Heads also have chips. Maybe you'll have to put in three others before it forgets the orignal was bad???

I cant seem to get the cleaning to work. (Soaked in hot warer).
(Cleaned the connecter points) :o(
IF you got a better idea..please e-me @ glenmanning@bellsouth.net

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jeffmil (1/14/07 8:40 AM) reply + / -
I have a 7110. This is trash. Garbage. It has never worked properly. I have spent countless hours with HP talking to them via the online support chat. No solutions from them. Always problems. "Sorry, that's all we can do." I am ready to join a class action suit. Their latest resolution to my "IDS Failure - call HP" problem? "Buy a 7310" ... from them, of course. Never! I have just bought a Canon Pixma MP830 and it is beautiful. I never knew what I was missing. AND YOU DON'T EITHER as long as you keep suffering with an HP INKJET POS. This a classic case of an industry "lemon" that HP refuses to acknowledge and then treat their customers properly. And by the way, my friend has an HP 61xx (he's not sure of the exact model) and he says it has never worked properly. Are we seeing a pattern here?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by techxan (1/18/07 6:39 PM) reply + / -
Ladies and Gents,

Just as a side note, my wife bought us a cheap brother all in one for $125. I own a small computer repair store so it gets moderate use. This thing has ink "Cartridges" that are actually just a tub of ink that fit into a tube. They do not even have a sponge in them. The tube runs to the printheads. I refill them in place with an inkjet shot needle and seal the hole with a spot of aluminum tape. I just refill them when they are half empty. Greatest design in the world. Also the only product from Brother that I ever liked. In the year I have had it I have gone thru 3 refill kits, and used five or so reams of paper. It does seem to use more cyan than yellow or magenta though. I have leftover yellow and magenta.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head black print head by gbarlow (1/21/07 5:40 PM) reply + / -
I am not getting an IDS failure but the black ink print head seems to dry out after it sets a few hours. If I clean the print heads (using the "clean print head menu option) before printing, it solves the problem until the next time.

This is a pain.... any advice

gbarlow@omnicityusa.com

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dvendt (1/26/07 8:59 PM) reply + / -
Here's my 2 cents to hp.
When is this "ISD Failure Call HP" going to be fixed or does anyone at HP really care. Have you read all the postins on www.fixyourownprinter.com? It shows it is a big prolem. I think if there ever is a class action lawsuit against HP for poor business practices and knowingly selling a faulty product and any thing else they tack on I just might add my name to it. I personally will never buy another HP product again unless you can fix my giant paper weight at no cost to me. I'm sure you knew there was a problem with this printer even before it came out of R&D, if you even do R&D, there should have been a recall on this piece of crap long ago. but like any other big company's mentality "lets put out a cheap product and screw the fool who buys it aslong as we get rich". Now lets see if you can make me happy

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jhughey (2/28/07 8:35 AM) reply + / -
If this has been asked before, please redirect me. I am in the process of cleaning the printheads of my 7130.

I noticed the favored technique is to place the printheads on a moist/wet (paper?) towel. Based on the feedback, it seems to work for most persons.

Question: Is there any reason just complete immersion in distilled water wont achieve the same? This would be a way of ensuring no air bubbles are trapped during the purging/bleeding process.

Have used this printer for years, and I am reluctant to do this in the event it causes more problems than exist.

Thanks!

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (2/28/07 7:02 PM) reply + / -
Hi,
I've worked on a lot of d135s, d145, d155s, 7110s, & 7130s and think the printheads are overly sensitive to nozzle clogs. I have resorted to literally hitting the head surface with pressurized steam to open the nozzles (can inject water into the head if too direct) with pretty good luck. Unfortunately, the clogs all too often return if not printing regularly.

This is a robust printer with poor printheads (nozzles are just too small to be reliable). If HP would simply design a set of printheads with larger nozzles and lower max resolution (give up on the photo quality specs), it would be a much better all-around product. I worked there for 8 years as an engineer and know that marketing has far too much say about product specifications. They get bonuses for creating meaningless hype.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jtpaladin (3/1/07 8:24 AM) reply + / -
I don't know if everyone is aware but HP is no longer using this idiotic design for their printers. They now combine the printer cartridge with the printer heads. They admit that it was a flawed design. Sadly, I spent $399.00 on this "flawed design" and I am permanently turned off spending more than $150 on any inkjet printer.

The black and magenta won't print and the heads will not align. The whole system is crap and now a very large paperweight. I was told by the "outsourced" tech support that when you get the lethal "IDS Failure" message, the show's over and you might as well throw it out because no matter what you do, it will never work the same again.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Andymac (3/9/07 1:42 PM) reply + / -
I have a 7130 and it has done well at alot of things for my small office...but its printing quality all of a sudden dropped and i get horizontal lines and bad color, i fed it ink like there was no tomorrow and now i see a pool below the ink area and it is deep i tried wiping it out but there is too much it is a gooey mess...when I first got it the auto feeder failed, they sent out a replacement, has worked fine since 06/03...I need the legal size and auto feed what out there is comparable to this machine?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by mcprinter (3/10/07 12:57 AM) reply + / -
You probably need to replace the printhead(s) rather than the ink cartridge.

See this link shows images of the printheads.
http://www.rcubed.com/equipment.php?item_code=PRH

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (3/17/07 10:57 AM) reply + / -
I bought a d145 years ago. After less than 1,200 pages printed, got the print head message stuff.... HP was no help at all - the guy in India just wanted to have me return it along with $300.00 for a refurbished one. Unbelievable..... anyway, I am now the very happy owner of a Lexmark C522N Works great, no problems for a year now. :)

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Psalms1914 (4/2/07 12:34 PM) reply + / -
I bought a 7130xi from Sams about 3 or 4 years ago and it, or more properly they have never fully worked for more than a few weeks at a time. I say they, because HP replaced the unit twice before it went out of warranty. I don't believe I have ever been so frustrated with a piece of equipment. I have had as much problem with the scanning function as the print function. Hasn't scanned anything in a year. But it will still copy, Go figure. I have used the water soak and the rubbing alcohol techniques and have limped along with it as a printer. The magenta print head has been out for about 6 months and I have only been copying or printing in black and white. I was considering buying a new print head and trying to get it going again, but this thread has convinced me that it will be wiser to invest that money in a new machine. Did anyone go anywhere with the class action suit against HP?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by moe (4/2/07 12:45 PM) reply + / -
I'm going to reiterate this for about the 500th time on this forum. Ink is water soluble. Alcohol is 30% water. Wouldn't it make more sense to use 100% water? Pure alcohol has absolutely NO EFFECT on ink whatsoever. Soak the print head in really hot water. That usually brings them back. I think I'll get some alcohol and drink it to relieve the stress.

End User Education, Engineering 101 by Stephen (edited 4/2/07 12:59 PM) reply + / -
Water is for cleaning.

Alcohol is for drinking.

ST

And there are days the posts on the forum could drive me to drinkin'

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by thebegbie (4/3/07 1:50 PM) reply + / -
Ok - The water technique worked for me!

I was getting IDS and then bad print head error left and right...

1) Got the hot water from the filtered coffee machine into a shallow bowl and soaked the printer head bottoms in the hot water for about 1 minute

2) Then took more hot water on a paper towel and let them bleed for about 1 minute

3) Cleaned up the "ribbon connections" with a paper towl

4) Inserted the heads FIRMLY and pushed them to the ribbon connection

5) Ran through some cleaning processes from the software

All of a sudden (about 1/2 way through - all of the colors worked).

Just FYI - I had this printer in the box stored after we let some people go at my work - it was stored for at least 9 months and all the ink was dried up. I went to Office Depot, got the new cartridges and then no printing or really bad tries - then did steps 1-5 up there - now, I am good to go.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jhughey (edited 4/3/07 4:54 PM) reply + / -
For what it is worth, if any of you have tried everything else and you are looking at a $130 printhead purchase, perhaps this might work. **Please be advised this has *not* been tested and it is a last-resort speculation from a chemist**. I am also assuming the problem started when the ink cartridge and printheads were allowed to go dry.

Air is *less* soluble in hot water than cold water. In fact air is completely expelled from boiling distilled water, and it should readily dissolve air bubbles from the printheads upon cooling. Air and water also expand when heated, so immersion in hot (150 deg F) water may help purge the air as well. When the water cools, it should also siphon fresh water back into the printheads' ink chambers.

Procedure: Boil some distilled water for about 5 minutes and keep covered. Allow the degassed water to cool to about 150 deg (meat thermometer), then completely immerse the printheads. If ink bleeds into the water, keep it immersed and swirl it around. Repeat the hot/cool cycle with fresh water until no more ink bleeds out. Once the water stays clean, chill the (covered) immersed printheads overnight (40 deg) in the refrigerator (do not freeze!!).

Two things should happen. The hot water treatment should expel air and help dissolve dry ink. The cooling effect should contract the water and residual air and the net effect would be to siphon *clean degassed* water back into the ink chambers of the printheads. Prolonged contact overnight should dissolve any remaining air.

Until you are ready to reinstall the printheads, remember to keep the printheads immersed and very slightly cooler than room temperature. As it warms up, it should keep a slightly positive pressure within the printheads to prevent air from returning.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by peterblaise (4/3/07 5:39 PM) reply + / -
Incredible. We're doing more work to keep these suckers alive (and for what?) than HP put into designing and building (and certainly supporting) them in the first place. More power to us!

I think this l-o-n-g page deserves an award (certainly from HP) for going w-a-y over and above the call of duty to help each other out. Kudos all around. You all are a great and helpful bunch. I wish HP gave an outstanding contribution award for trying to keep customers satisfied - the contributors to this thread deserve it.

Thanks one and all.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by jhughey (4/4/07 7:03 AM) reply + / -
Howdy again,

I have a 7130 and obviously, very fortunately, I have not had the printhead problem (to the tune of vigorous knocking on wood).

If I knew more about the structure of the printhead, maybe I could give a better suggestion. The hot/cold distilled treatment above was conservative, and you should try this first before escalating below.

From what I hear above is that the ink is not very soluble in alcohol, but we know it is soluble in water. *Only* if the hot/cold treatment above does not work, perhaps a mildly alkaline (ammonia or baking soda) solution may help. Alternatively a mildly acidic solution (white vinegar) may be even better. When you finish, just remember to *always soak in distilled water* to remove any residual solids.

Before you do this, print up a test paper and test the solvents on three regions. Mix a tablespoon of ammonia to a cup or water. Same for white vinegar. (1) add a few drops of ammonia water to one area, (2) neutral distilled water to another, then (3) some vinegar water to the a third area. The one that bleeds the most will be the one that cleans better. If there is no difference, stick with the distilled water (purchased at any store).

BTW, I am just a dumb chemist, so take the suggestions with this caveat. Definitely, not trying to impress anyone on my knowledge of solvents. It is just that these would be the kind of things I might try if I had to clean something stubborn, and it could be immersed in water without trashing it.

(ps)Just in case someone gets the idea, please do *not* experiment with chlorox. Especially, please do not mix chlorox with ammonia, as it releases very, very toxic chlorine gas)

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by mldillon (4/29/07 3:18 PM) reply + / -
I thank everybody who has taken the time to continue this thread. I too, have been presented with the dreaded "IDS failure" alert. I have an Officejet D155xi. It is apparent to me that I have a terribly flawed machine. When I first got it I could not get it to network, despite the fact that I had paid $200 for the "Jetdirect" Ethernet attachment that was supposed to enable this function. Before I even purchased it I talked to a technician to make sure that it would be able to network with Macintoshes. It never was able to do so without a fixed address and it could not support DHCP, which made the networking feature useless to me.

I have been through dozens of ink cartridges and have suffered with streaking the entire time that I have used the printer. I have printed about 5500 pages, mostly black and white. I thank everyone for the posts on using various solutions to fix the print heads, etc. I still can't get the magenta to print without streaks. The cartridge and the print heads are all new. There was a time that I actually extended my technical support coverage, to the tune of $50, to have a tech tell me that the printer wouldn't print black and white if the color ink were out. He never mentioned the need to not run the ink cartridges dry, nor does it say this in the user manual. I have not even seen it on the HP website, but perhaps it's there. It's kind of like "Don't let your coffee grinder grind up all the beans or it will break and it will be your fault."

This machine is one of 3 HP printers I have and all of them are flawed. I have a friend who threw one like mine off of a cliff (on his own property) and was quite gleeful about it, despite the fact that he had to clean up the mess.

The scanning function never interfaced with the Mac, the driver software was only renewed every two years despite changes in the operating system and HP driver generated errors and crashes. Now HP has essentially washed its hands of the machine (no longer supported).

To me this illustrates some of the worst practices of corporate enterprise. Deny, deny, deny. Then if they still complain send them a couple of ink cartridges. In the end, if you have to, send them a refurbished printer. Pretty soon it will be too old for us to have to cover. Never admit the design flaws. And, stupidly, as a result, don't address your own internal corporate deficiencies.

I intend to send this string to Jim Cramer, since he seems to love HP. I also intend to send it to Consumer Reports. I do this because I'd like to think that someone might benefit from this action. I feel that all who have posted on this string have been the victim of poorly designed products that have not had their errors and design flaws admitted to by the manufacturer. In fact HP has covered up the problems, never addressed them openly, and continues to sell consumables and repair to the unfortunate consumers to whom they have sold the product.

I am quite interested in a class action suit. The specifics that I see are:

1. The separate ink cartridge and print head design was flawed in many ways: particularly in the small sizes of the nozzles and their propensity to clog especially with magenta;
2. that the consumers have not been warned about this or given the simple measures of using water to clean the heads posted here but rather have been sold more print heads and cartridges at great expense and in vain hope of rectifying the problem;
3. that air in the IDS should have a simple way of being purged/primed out;
4. and that, finally, the problem seems in some ways to be intermittent and not remediable.

Michael

Re: HP officejet d135, d145, 7100, 7110, 7130, print head by dmullican (edited 12/6/07 4:22 PM) reply+1 + / -
I have two of these printers and after much research have found that the best solution is to take the actual printhead apart and clean with windex and warm water (There are instructions in one of the threads on how to do this)http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744#178 Pictures http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg . There is a great refill kit from InkTec for the cartridge and printhead http://www.inkjetcartridge.com . This kit is needed to remove the air from the printhead after refilling. Then totally reset everything by removing the battery from the motherboard and letting the memory drain and then replace the battery. This will set the printer date to 00-00-00 which allows for any age of cartridge. There are also comments in a thread on how to do this. http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php

Another problem I have had is the printer started making a loud banging noise and stopped working. The area where the print heads are parked on the right side of the printer was caked with old ink. What I did (and got away with) was take the printer case off, set it up on it's side with the majority of the electronics up and wash it with the sprayer on a water hose trying to keep the electronics as dry as possible. Then drained and put a fan on it for a couple of hours to get as dry as possible. Put everything back together and it worked.

Good Luck -

Re: HP officejet 7100 print head by oldgi (5/21/07 4:16 PM) reply + / -
thanks to all..... just finished about 20 DVD labels in two days with a day break in between.

Used the wet towel for cleaning my 7100 print heads... worked great and not more IDS errors.

I now use the print head cleaning routine built into the printers Control Panel diagnostics if it has set for more than a day or two powered off.

Wet towel and head cleaning routine seems to work for me.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Psalms1914 (5/22/07 7:27 AM) reply + / -
I give-up! It costs about $65 to buy a set of ink cartridges at Sam's. I waste about half the ink cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. I can buy a new multifunction machine for $80 and up. You do the Math!

If anyone wants my 7130xi for parts send me a UPS, Fedx, etc. pick-up request and I will pack it up for you. It does have the 2-sided print function, which is fascinating to watch and worked better than anything else on the machine.

Unless there is a class-action law suit I guess this will be my last post.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by plantguy (5/30/07 10:49 AM) reply+1 + / -
I was having the same color printer head problems. I came across these posts. I took the wet paper towel, damped the top and bottom of the print heads, let them sit on the wet towels for 10 minutes, put them back, reset the printer to default settings and printed a picture which turned out better than when the printer was new... Thanks everyone.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Denton Tarbet (6/10/07 10:40 PM) reply+1 + / -
We put in a new cartridge on 5-14-07. The printer message says ink cartridge expired. It has plenty of ink. we buy the cartridges in advance since it uses so much ink. Is the a reset so we can salvage the cartridge full of ink?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by plantguy (6/21/07 2:43 PM) reply + / -
I replaced the Cyan printhead and now it tells me I need a black. I did the wet towel treatment and the printer semed to like it. It automatically ran a color alignment test and everything worked fine. Great color. But when I try to print something it comes out in very light blue. What's going on?
Thanks,
Ken

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (7/21/07 2:20 AM) reply + / -
Thank you so much for your 5 simple steps. WOW! I did it! My printer is working!!! I cann't believe it!!!! ( It took me about 2 weeks all over my HP Officejet d125xi printer, and I almost gave up)... I found this site and found your 5 steps by sudden ... I just want to say thank you!!!!
Also thank all the wonderful people who together put this help page up, sooooooooooo great!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by KBright (8/1/07 6:12 AM) reply + / -
I have a hp officejet 7130 and I keep getting the error message to clear the carriage jam and then to hit enter. There is nothing jammed that I can see. Any suggestions?

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (8/1/07 7:32 AM) reply + / -
Maybe try putting a "DROP" of grease or oil on the long silver shaft it slides on

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (8/1/07 4:10 PM) reply + / -
I couldn't agree less, I think having the printheads on the cartridge is a much better idea, why??? One example is the very issue at hand, with printheads on the cartridge, should you let a cartridge completly dry out or it simply takes a dump, just replace the cartridge, that's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the printheads in the 7130. I'm using a HP officejet 4215 all-in-one for the past 3+ years, I refill my black and color cartridge using the Dataproducts Ink Station Refill System each at least 5 times, if not more, chip??? Yeah! it tells me each time I insert a refilled cartridge,"black or color ink low," and I go on my merry way printing hundreds of pages of junk with my "low ink cartridges." let's face it folks, any time you have to start pulling parts out of your printer something is really wrong, but I guess we know that, judging from the like complaints of the Officejet 7130.
PS. Anyone see our military in action in Iraq? Seems they had the right solution for a printer that wouldn't work properly in the field, they called HP Hq's.to complain, HP wanted to charge them for technical advice, you can see their answer to HP on the iTUBE website, good luck to all with the 7130's..........

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by moe (8/1/07 4:17 PM) reply + / -
Check to see if the metal encoder strip that runs through the carriage is ok. It should be hooked on either end of the printer. I had one where it shredded. They aren't available.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by smichel (8/10/07 12:56 PM) reply + / -
I removed the battery to clear out the expired ink cartridge message, and now my "old" cartridges work just fine. My new problem is the time and date settings are lost whenever I turn the printer off. Any ideas woud be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by oldgi (8/21/07 7:20 PM) reply + / -
I also have had success removing the battery and using expired cartridges. Below is a link to a very good write-up on the battery removal. My printer is HP Officejet 7110 and the battery was in the same location, a CR2032, same as motherboard battery.

http://land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php

This is a great site for printer help......

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (8/22/07 5:44 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the tip!
Steve

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by meschubert (9/5/07 8:27 AM) reply + / -
The site/thread that keeps on giving! Three plus years after the original post, dpotters wet paper towel trick fully restored my Officejet d135 printer which had been sitting idle for over six months.

Thanks-Mark

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by msw500 (9/18/07 7:09 PM) reply + / -
Chalk up another satisfied customer - of this website, that is. My three year old 7130 issued no error messages, but the magenta just wouldn't work until I let the bottom of the print head bleed into a paper towel soaked in hot tapwater. Nothing complicated or time-consuming (once I found this site). Thanks to everyone for guidance on rejuvenating my 7130!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (9/20/07 12:16 PM) reply + / -
Just a note here. No one has mentioned Okidata Printers. I am an authorized reseller for Okidata Printers. They have just come out with a new line of laser monochrome MFP multifuntion printers like the B2500 MFP / B2520 MFP / B2540 MFP / B4545 MFP / C5510 MFP / C3530N MFP / C5550 MFP / ES1624N MFP / CX2032 MFP / ES3640E MFP / ES3640E MFP GA / ES3640EX MFP / ES3640EX MFP GA - Okidata is legendary for their reliability. The reason I am posting here is because I too have a HP Officejet 7110 and yah, its messed up too. It will cost about $200.00 to replace all (4) print heads. I think inkjet printers in general are bad, if you dont print every day on them. And yah, I think it is unethical to sell you a thimbel full of ink for $20.00. Call any lithography store. You can buy 5 pounds of black ink for $32.00 which would be a lifetime supply. So, its a total rip. And putting those smart chips on their with expiration dates and 830 page count, that is just appalling and egregious. So, don't buy HP inkjet printers. Unfortunately for us, it is too late. So, tell your friends and neighbors what a rotten deal we got from HP and not to buy their sorry products...

http://www.mticom.com
Authorized Okidata Dealer

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (9/24/07 6:13 PM) reply + / -
Wonderful advise. I clean my printheads with water and many Q-tips. they were somewhat sticky with ink. I had an bad prinhead error with the magenta, but while I was at it I cleaned all color printheads. The magenta needed more soaking in some water, but eventally after several prints the color copies turned beautifully. I guess some routine cleaning is what is needed.
Thanks for all the advise.

RE Lexmark P4350 by njw (10/10/07 9:31 PM) reply + / -
How do you get the printer to reset ink levels once ink cartridge is refilled.

I have no idea.

Would appreciate any input

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by oldgi (10/11/07 12:10 PM) reply + / -
Remove the battery from the printer and put it back. The time and date will need to be reset in the fax mode.

See this link:

http://land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/letters/hpPrinters.php

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (11/18/07 1:41 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your five step tip. It worked great and saved me alot of money in printheads.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by oldgi (11/18/07 2:01 PM) reply+1 + / -
Glad it worked for u..... the other people on this forum helped me do it first....

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by garymunson (12/15/07 5:22 AM) reply + / -
My experience fixing my 7130....first slid strip of business card under the battery clip. Look inside left front of printer to find it. It's a small silver disk with a silver clip holding it in. Then unplugged. Held down 9 and # key as I plugged it back in. Hold it down for about a minute until the screens stabilize. This lets you do a full reset of the printer. There are several other number/# sign combos that do things. None will cause any damage, try and see what they do. Once it was reset, I removed the paper strip. Then reset the time and date in the fax setup area. Once done, with a valid date showing on the screen, held down the left and right arrow keys at the same time...screen will go blank. press 4,then 5, then 6. Message to press 1 to disable ink monitoring will appear. This turns off color monitoring. Do the same pressing 789 for black ink. Then removed my printheads one at a time, soaking them in windex for a few minutes then gently wiping them front to back with a paper towel. You should see a pair of inky lines showing on the towel. Once done, I put a couple of small drops of windex in the screened port of each printhead. Then did a fresh refill of both cartridges. Did 5 head cleaning cycles in a row, an alignment, then found a PC mag with a very heavily colored cover and did several color copies to finish cleaning our the system. works great now!

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by dkisselbach (12/19/07 8:10 PM) reply + / -
Because we had two Officejets a 7130 and a 7210. I put the 7130 away for almost 1 1/2 years. Stupid me. I had no idea of the print head problem until I pulled it out 2 month ago. Tried the Windex fix. Let them sit for 2 days and change paper towel twice. Did not work. I am open to another suggestion!!!! So I saw a link on is blog that sent you to email of the President of HP. Fired of a not so nice but civil letter to him. I got a call from HP. Missed the call and called back left voicemail. Never heard anything. Then last week a got a letter stating if I would send in my print heads she would send me new ones!!!!! HP faith restored. Guess what they arrive today and the box contained 6 print carts (3 blk & 3 color) for my 7210!!!!! I took a look at that letter again --- sure enough it did say she was going to do just that. In my excitement I failed to notice the model change in the letter. Call her back today and left message that it was nice to send me those but I still have a HP paper weight in my office. I will keep you posted as to the outcome. From all the posts I am sure many of you will want to see what HP does. DK

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (12/22/07 12:41 PM) reply + / -
You are heaven sent... I called hp, they wanted to bill $60.00 to my charge to even speak to a service rep. Thanks to you and a little water & a paper towel, my printer is good as new. Thanks so much.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by boudreaux32 (12/31/07 2:09 PM) reply + / -
I have just started getting "pink" colors where it should be blue. I received no message about either the color or b/w cartridge. I replaced both and still have the pink color. Any suggestions?
Thanks & Happy New Year

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by moe (12/31/07 3:51 PM) reply + / -
Take the print head out and soak it in really hot water. Blot dry with a paper towel and reinstall.

HP Printer by Anonymous (1/2/08 11:40 AM) reply + / -
I changed my ink cartridges and now every time I turn the printer on, the printer prints a Test Page - Can't figure out why? Can anyone help before I run out of ink.
Thanks

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Unforgiven95 (1/8/08 12:11 PM) reply + / -
I am very aggrevated. I replaced my #14 Magenting print head a few months back and it never worked right, would not print red. I finally broke down and ordered a new one from the HP store and installed it and everything worked fine. I tried the hot towell trick with no luck. Who can I complain to at HP?

Re: HP Printer by Anonymous (1/8/08 2:00 PM) reply + / -
try holding down the 9 and # key as you power up the printer. this does a full reset of the printer's processor.

Re: HP officejet D135 print head by seekingwilliam (4/20/08 1:15 AM) reply + / -
I have solved My Problem with 25' of rope this make a great ancor when in a clutch, Beside I would feel realy bad if I gave it to a goodwill. Heck they may bill me for droping off my garbage. Hope all the best can't say that it's been fun but it has been great reading.

sighned NEW CANON OWNER

HP Officejet D145 ink tank expiration dates explai by Anonymous (7/5/08 11:44 PM) reply + / -
HP officejet d145

Disable ink drop counting:
1. Press both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
2. Release both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
3. Press buttons 4, then 5, then 6 in quick sequence
4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable color ink drop counting
5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above
6. Press buttons 7, then 8, then 9 in quick sequence
4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable black ink drop counting

Manufacture date = warranty expiry date - 30 months
Install date = date first installed in hp officejet d145
Suggested install-by date = warranty expiry date - 12 months
Package printed date = warranty expiry date - 3 months
Warranty expiry date = YYYY/MM/DD printed on ink cartridge
In-service expiry date = install date + 30 months
Cartridge expiry date = warranty expiry date + 24 months

Example:
Manufacture date = November 03, 2006
Install date = June 12, 2008
Suggested install-by date = May 03, 2008
Package printed date = February 03, 2009
Warranty expiry date = 2007/05/03
In-service expiry date = December 12, 2010
Cartridge expiry date = May 03, 2011

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by MichaelTech (7/7/08 11:27 AM) reply + / -
Anonymous 7/5/08 Right on! I was going to post this as I have just learned this procedure. Works great for "out of ink" error.
An IDS prime is: hold # & 7 when powerup.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by gavincurtis (7/13/08 10:16 PM) reply + / -
I have two of the 7130's... one feeds sheet halfway and produces error. The second had the IDS error.

Going to throw them out, but after finding this I tried the wet paper towel.

It brought back the black and cyan (still printed with lines). Still no magenta or yellow. I microwaved a bowl of water until nearly boiling and then placed the printheads in the hot water. Let them sit for about 30 minutes.

Tried in the printer again...

Much better but still no yellow. I noticed that when I pressed my finger against the printhead inlet port (has the metal screen), the pressure would force the ink out of the head. You can then clearly see which orifices are still clogged.

Took a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap on my finger and rubbed it gently across the print head. Then rinsed. Pressed my finger agains the inlet port again and presto! Two wide stripes ink came out aka no clogged ports.

Rubbed Dawn dishwashing soap on the Magenta and it opened all the orifices. Did the same with the remaining heads.

Put in the printer and had one IDS error. Turned off machine and then back on. IDS error did not return and ran the "clean heads" function twice. Printed the alignment sheet and it came out perfect!

So if all else fails and you still have clogged orifices, try a little bit of dishwashing soap on the print head.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by yahyah (9/17/08 5:58 PM) reply + / -
Hate to burst your bubble but I have that printer mp830 canon and am having that same print head error message. It all has to do with wea and tear. I'm trying the damp paper towel method now though hopefully it works for me.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by charlee (9/24/08 1:33 PM) reply + / -
Wonderful -- This website has been a lifesaver. We will try all the wonderful suggestions and try to revive a couple 7130's that have been sitting for awhile. Will get back with "success" story.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by crab girl (9/24/08 5:40 PM) reply + / -
Wow, three hours of work but I now have color again!! Thanks for all of the above tips, I thought my color was a goner! Not the best quality yet, I soaked all three of the printheads in extremely hot water and reinstalled them immediately, so I am hoping that once they mellow out a bit then the lines on the paper will go away. If not I guess I try something else. Hate to toss this printer, but $110.00 for new print heads is a bit steep considering a new printer is about $150.00 Thanks again to everyone who took the time to put up your troubleshooting tips, pretty crappy that the manufacturer's only advice is a cotton swab and then purchase new print heads!

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by tbird355 (11/27/08 4:06 AM) reply + / -
"I removed the battery to clear out the expired ink cartridge message, and now my "old" cartridges work just fine. My new problem is the time and date settings are lost whenever I turn the printer off. Any ideas woud be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve"

See my new post on the 7140xi to reset the clock. HTH. Tom.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by mauiwild (1/11/09 12:53 AM) reply + / -
My problem is the same as other "HP won't print black" above BUT mine is a "HP officejet 6310 All in one". Can't find a forum for this model. I've tried all the suggestions above to no avail. Does anyone have a solution for this model.... please, please, please.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by travelnet (4/9/09 11:03 PM) reply + / -
Hi everybody .much thanks for the paper towel trick. my 7130 had been sitting for 6 mos w/error msg about bad print heads. soaked all with water and some windex. now have cyan,magenta,yellow but still no black. am currently soaking black in hot water overnite. hope it works.at least some are working for now. is this going to keep happening over and over???this is really a mini miracle. I did have this printer for 2 years b4 even taking out of the box. my epson has been trouble free for 9 yrs!! am going to go shopping for new one if this soaking doesn't work.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by malibukid22 (7/5/09 9:44 PM) reply + / -
I have a 7130Xi with "Scanner failure" error. I cleaned glass, but still same error. In addition, the print heads are clogged. Otherwise it is in great shape. HP should be ashamed. They have really hit bottom.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by geoff813 (11/3/09 10:41 AM) reply + / -
My 7130 wont print black even with a new print head and ink cartridge. Pulled out the battery, did the 7 # reset, nothing helps. Is it time for the trash can? Its been nothing but trouble since new with printing black.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by confucious (11/18/09 5:01 AM) reply + / -
Check to see where the print heads sit when not printing. It might be a rubber surface, clean and moisten that surface. Check to make sure there is no air in your tubes, or air leaks. You can use a small ball plunger, like the kind to clean out your ears to force water in and suck it out of the printer heads. But do it gently.

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (11/18/09 8:35 AM) reply + / -
Bought new printer cartridges for my 7130, went in fine. no probs..... Then i ran a re-alignment and found i had to replace the magenta print heads... HOW.. Is there a link to find a diagram to action this? I `m of the opinion that just cleaning out and re-installing "should work" ? Any ideas will help.. PLEASE

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by moe (11/18/09 9:48 AM) reply + / -
Print heads are usually behind or below the ink tanks. Don't remember on that particular model. They'll have a little handle on top of them that flips up, then just pull it out.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (11/18/09 10:12 AM) reply + / -
Welcome to the wonderful world of HP ripoffs.

The printhead is below the ink. Flip the very bottom latch up and magenta is 3rd from the left. DO NOT leave the latch up as that PO^&%# will timeout and send the carriage crashing to the right.

It might get by with a cleaning unless the printers firmware detects an expired date. I got so fed up with that crap that I removed the CMOS battery.

Best Buy has a great deal on a Kodak All In One this week and next which claims to have the industries longest life and cheapest inks. They give an instant $50 rebate and another $50 if you bring in any printer. Total price is $99

Geoff

Re: Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Anonymous (11/18/09 10:57 AM) reply + / -
Thanks ever so for the tips, i`ll give it a go when i`ve calmed down .. thing wont turn off n on now , keeps reaching initialising stage and dose aflashing light thing.

Got a frind lending me his for now.

Thanks again.

D

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by Temblor (12/13/10 1:34 PM) reply + / -
What happens to the print head when you run the ink cartridge empty? the ink drys and clogs the print-head surface. The solution?
Use steam to unclog print-head. Use pliers, to grasp print head and hold over boiling water until it bleeds. Then place print-head on wet paper towel and you may need to wipe gently until you see foil is clear.
You can also clean cartridge that way if necessary.
It worked on my old d145.
I have taken the memory battery out and refilled my cartridge over 10 times.

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by shaharyar (11/9/11 12:57 AM) reply + / -
my screen is become thary so do it

Re: HP officejet 7130 print head by shaharyar (11/9/11 1:00 AM) reply + / -
my screen is not on its place

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters