fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

hp deskjet 960c printing problem

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Brad (5/4/04 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Suddenly and without warning my hp deskjet 960c has decided to run perfectly even spaced stripes through all color printouts. Any hints as to what may be causing this problem?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Denny Conway (5/4/04 2:51 PM) reply + / -
Brad: I'm assuming that theres no stripes or problems, when printing black text and no Error Lights/Led's showing. Usually when I see that type of problem only showing up thru color printouts, its being caused by a Hardware/Part Failure in the printer itself [Main Board Assembly], but no way to really know without trying to eliminate possible problems. Its also possible that it could be coming from corrupted Printer Drivers that are loaded inside your Computer System, some other software related problem, or even a bad or failing Color Ink Cartridge [especially if you are refilling your own cartridges, or buying refurbished ink cartridges]. I would suggest that you first deinstall and remove the old drivers and then go on-line to HP.COM and download the latest available drivers [which are free] and see if that makes any difference. The old drivers may have become corrupted and could be causing possible problems. First you should open your "Control Panel Utility", then open the "Add/Remove Programs", then under "Install/Uninstall", highlight and REMOVE any old Printer Drivers that may already be installed. Sometimes the same older drivers can be corrupted and conflict with newer drivers. After removing your old printers and drivers, go to the HP WEB SITE and download the latest drivers for your printer and system. You can then go to this link: " h20015.www2.hp.com " on the Hp web-site and procede to download the needed printer drivers. Simply read the information, make your choices and follow the prompts to download new drivers for free. If new drivers don't help, then you might want to even try a different Printer Cable, just to eliminate the possibility of a failing cable causing communication problems. You could always run a Stand Alone Self-Test on your printer, while its not connected to your computer system, but it may not show enough color to be able to see possible stripes. Unhook the Printer Cable from the back of the printer, but leave the Power Cord still plugged into the wall. With paper loaded normally, turn the printer off for 10 seconds, or so. This is done to clear out any remaining DATA/INFORMATION that may still have been in the printers system, from when the Computer System was previously connected. Now reach over and turn the printer on as normal. The printer should come on and go to a normal READY CONDITION, with no ERROR LIGHTS on [If you get an ERROR LIGHT, then you know you have a problem in your printer]. If there are no ERROR LIGHTS on, then hold-in on the PAPER/RESUME button [the button with the picture of a piece of paper next to it] for about 3 to 5 seconds, until the Led/Light next to the button starts flashing. Release the resume/paper button once the light starts flashing. The printer starts to initialize and then it will pull in a piece of paper and print out an "Internal HP Sample Page". You can also run an "Internal HP Self-Test Page", by holding in on the POWER button, while you press the RESUME button four times and then release the POWER button. You can also run an "Internal HP Diagnostic Test Page", by holding in on the POWER button, while you press the "X" [Cancel Print] button eight times, then press the RESUME button four times and then release the POWER button. See if there are any stripes showing up in the color area on those three different test pages. If there are, then you know the problem is actually in the printer. If you cannot actually tell if there are any lines or not on those test pages, then you could always connect your printer to another computer system [like a friends], hook-up your printer cable, load new drivers from the HP web-site and simply try running the same color printouts on the second system. If there are no stripes, then you can assume the problem is coming from your computer system. On the other hand, if the stripes are still there, then you would know that its a problem in your printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (5/4/04 2:57 PM) reply + / -
Are these evenly spaced strips horizontal with no ink in them? If so, your color cartidge may be defective. As a precaution, always clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts with a cotton swab moistened with water before making any assumptions concerning the cartridge. If you have another DJ 900 series handy you can test the color catridge in it.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Brad (5/5/04 10:54 AM) reply + / -
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Excellent advice that I will keep on file. In the end, the problem was solved by simply cleaning the contacts with some alcohol and a q-tip. Sometimes a lo-tech solution ends up doing the job. Thanks again.

Re: hp deskjet 960c ink cartridge problem by kyle (5/10/04 1:45 PM) reply + / -
i needed a new black ink cartridge for my hp deskjet 960c. so i got a new one..when i put it in the X button(with the pic of an ink cartridge with a water drop inside it) began to flash. so i checked it. rechecked it..took it out and put it back in for a total of 1million times..and the flash stilll keeps going on. and now i can't print any paper. what do i do?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Brad (5/10/04 2:13 PM) reply + / -
I copied this from the hp users manual. You can see it for yourself if you open the Users manual (PDFfile) located on your installer CD

The Print Cartridge Status light flashes when one or both of the print cartridges are low on ink, improperly installed, or malfunctioning. This light also flashes if the wrong print cartridge type is used.
1. print cartridge status light
If the ink level is low in a print cartridge, the Print Cartridge Status light stops
flashing when the printer’s top cover is opened. If the problem is not related
to low ink, the light continues to flash after the cover is opened.
checking the print cartridge status
Open the printer’s top cover when the Print Cartridge Status light flashes. The
yellow arrow on the print cartridge cradle points to one of five Print Cartridge
Status icons revealing the exact nature of the problem.
1. tri-color print cartridge problem icon 2. black cartridge problem icon
3. tri-color print cartridge low-ink icon 4. black cartridge low-ink icon
5. cartridges OK icon 6. yellow indicator arrow
troubleshooting problems with the tri-color or black print cartridge
If the yellow arrow points to a print cartridge problem icon, the print
cartridge is either missing, improperly installed, defective, or is the wrong
print cartridge for the printer. To correct the problem:
1. Insert the proper print cartridge if one is missing.
The printer needs both a black print cartridge and a color print cartridge.
2. Remove and reinsert the print cartridge if both print cartridges are
installed.
3. Verify that the correct print cartridges are installed if there is still a
problem.
4. Replace the cartridges if the problem persists.
solving problems with low ink
If the arrow points to the color or the black low ink icon, replace the relevant
print cartridge.
verifying that the problem is solved
If the arrow points to the print cartridge OK icon, both print cartridges are
operational and the problem is solved.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Denny Conway (5/10/04 2:32 PM) reply + / -
Kyle: Check to make sure you have the correct new black cartridge, an HP 45 [#51645A]. Check to make sure that the expiration date on the new ink cartridge, or on its box, is not already expired. I'm assuming that the old black cartridge did not cause that Error Light to come on. If you still have the old black cartridge, then simply reinstall it, to see if that error light turns off. Even if its empty of ink, it should not cause that error light to come on, unless its actually past its expiration date, thats stamped on the ink cartridge. If the old ink cartridge does not cause that error light to come on, then I would guess that the new cartridge is actually a bad cartridge. You can also try cleaning the Electrical Contacts carefully and gently, with Distilled Water on Q-Tips or on a lint free rag. Its possible that those electrical contacts on the ink cartridge, or inside the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly, may simply be dirty. Using damp Q-tips [not wet or dripping], gently and carefully wipe off the copper colored electrical plates on the cartridges and the electrical contacts inside the holder assy. Then do the same to the face of the Print Head Assembly thats located on the end of the ink cartridge, where the ink comes out. Its best to use "Distilled Water", because it has less chemicals and minerals in it, than tap water and regular tap water can actually cause additional problems. Use new dry Q-Tips to dry off all the electrical contacts after cleaning...The only way to really eliminate a possible bad cartridge [even if it happens to be a new cartridge], is to actually replace it, or test it in another printer that uses the same cartridge and was working ok with its own cartridges installed. Unfortunatly, that is usually not practical, unless you know someone that has the same printer or uses the same cartridge in their printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by jenn (6/9/04 10:47 AM) reply + / -
When I print a regular Word document with just black type, it sometime prints out in red or another color. Does this mean something is wrong with the printer or is there a secret setting that is on and I just did not see it. Someone please let me know! Thanks!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (6/9/04 12:13 PM) reply + / -
Grayscale may be selected in the Printer Properties. Grayscale combines all colors to produce shades from gray to black. If Grayscale is not selected, uninstall the printer driver and download the latest version.
h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (6/27/04 8:13 PM) reply+1 + / -
Hi! All of a sudden, when I turn on my 960c HP printer, the yellow and red lights come on at the same time followed by TWO grinding sounds [the roller seems to move] and then both the yellow and red lights are flashing simultaneously... [normally I would get just the continuous yellow light when all is well]

I am stumped as to what to do! Can anyone help me?

Many thanks!
John

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (6/27/04 9:24 PM) reply + / -
Go to this web page. If is doesn't help you solve your problem, repost.
h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by John (6/27/04 9:49 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for the lead...in going through the steps in your suggested link, I am having trouble getting the ink cartridges to the middle...it seems stuck at the far right. I have tried to pull it out manually - no luck [I unplugged the printer first]

This is the step I am having trouble with...
"Move the carriage towards the middle of the printer (this procedure may take a couple of tries to get the timing correct)." [PS What procedure is this referring to??]

Bottom line... I can't get the ink cartridges out!

Any further suggestions for this techo-dummy?

Thanks again!
John

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (6/27/04 10:24 PM) reply + / -
The service station may be jamed or broken. A working service station will cap and lock the carriage when the printer is idle, and then release and clean the cartridge nozzles when a print job is received or the cover is opened.

Remove the case and turn the white gears on the right to free up the carriage. You can run the printer with case removed if the optical sensor on the top of the main electronics board is blocked. You'll notice a tab on the hinged cover that does this when the case is installed.

Removing the Case
1. Remove the two T10 Torx screws in the top of the case
2. Remove the rear access door and press the release tab in both upper corners of the opening.
3. Open the hinged cover and release the two "claw" latches using a slot screwdriver. One is in front of the Service Station and the other is on the opposite side in the same relative position. These are a bit tricky to release but patience will prevail.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Dikck Thornton (6/29/04 7:53 PM) reply + / -
I haved an IBook. Recently , downloaded upgrade MaxOS X Panther. In getting my hpdeskjet 960 C reconneted , I got halfway thru the process, my battery went dead. Now battery ios crecharged. Howdo I get the process finished ?

XP installs drivers over & over by Tom (7/27/04 4:48 PM) reply + / -
I just upgraded my motherboard to an 'Asus K8V SE Deluxe' with AMD 3000 64 CPU.
Every time I turn on my computer it says it's found & installing the hp960c printer. Then I get the error message saying installation problem drivers did not install properly. This happens every time I turn on my computer or re-boot it. How do I get it to quit trying to install this driver every time?
I have the latest driver 960-ENU-XP from HP installed. In my printers/Fax folder It shows the hp960c series printer installed as the default printer.
Thanks for any help
Tom

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (7/27/04 9:58 PM) reply + / -
Contact Asus tech support if the problem started with the new MB.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Tom (7/28/04 3:47 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert.

I'll contact Asus to see what they can do for me.

Tom

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Cekins (7/30/04 9:11 AM) reply + / -
John, this sometimes happends on 9xx series. The locker stick somewhere and you hear this noise. My 970Cxi had done this over 300-400 times. No opening. It comes in shape by itself (If you had opened it already - lok for some broken parts - probably weels). If something is broken I recomend you Bussines inkjet 1100d - perfect machine ;)

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Christian (8/24/04 7:08 PM) reply + / -
HP 960c - prints 1/8 of a page and stops.
Resume light blinks and Power Light goes off
I have re-installed, updated drivers, relaced cable, tried both usb and parrallel
help! 2000 pro
PS
printer works on wife's pc running xp

hp 940c by mary (8/24/04 7:49 PM) reply + / -
I know that the talk has been 960c but how different can they be. My problem is that when printing yellow i get stripes at the end of the page. I have tried different colors and that doesn't happen. Why does it only do it at the end of the printing and not the beginning. Could the fact that the ink is low be the problem.
Also, I have a new cartridge but yellow won't print. The exp date was march so I figure that is the problem but the red and blue print.

thanks

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (8/24/04 9:03 PM) reply + / -
Mary
Get a new unexpired cartridge or soak the nozzle end of the newest cartridge in hot water. People have also started the ink flowing using a vacuum cleaner.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by jhfein (5/22/05 10:40 AM) reply + / -
When I try to print page 2 of some multipage documents, especially in landscape, the printer sends the paper through with nothing printed on it. There is no problem with 1-page items.
Also, in landscape, some of the lines are lost in the printing on the few occasions when I finally do get the second page to print. The printer loses the lines between the end of the landscape page and the end of the first page done in portrait.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (5/22/05 11:11 PM) reply + / -
Make sure your hard disk has sufficent space. Check the user manual for the minimum requirements.

Check for spyware and viruses. If you are using Windows XP, Microsoft has a free antispyware download. Otherwise do a Google search and download Spybot Search and Destroy (its free).

Uninstall and reinstall the driver. Get the latest one here.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by dlarison (11/4/05 7:39 AM) reply + / -
I am printing business cards and the printer feeds three quarters of the page and then sticks and slips as if the feeder loses contact with the paper, causing the print to override and blur. I end up losing four of my ten cards that print. What can I do to print without this happening?
Any tips are welcome...

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by ebp teacher (4/9/06 3:39 PM) reply + / -
When given the print command, 960c sends back error message that printer is out of paper even though paper tray is filled with regular letter size paper.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by moe (4/9/06 4:09 PM) reply + / -
The printer does not have a paper sensor in the tray, rather relying on an OOPS (out of paper sensor). If the paper does not get picked up and hit the sensor in a specified amount of time, then it assumes the printer is out of paper. What your real problem is, is the pickup rollers are probably just slipping on the paper instead of moving it. You can observe that by looking down the tray and watching what is happening. If I am right, then you should try the rubber roller rejuvenator sold on this site. It will restore the grip to the rollers.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by aahanlon (4/24/06 3:21 PM) reply + / -
I have the above printer and am trying to hook it up to another computer but I lost the cd to download it the other computer.
Any suggestions how I can locate the cd to download this. Thank you. Aleece

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by sdeleon (12/8/06 12:10 PM) reply + / -
I repurposed an hp deskjet 960c and am trying to use it to print labels Avery 5160 from my library program (barcodes)

For some reason it works with plain paper, but when I insert the label sheet it pretends like it's doing something and it leaves it blank. Is there a special label setting I need to choose? Any other ideas?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Jerryrg (1/11/07 9:03 AM) reply + / -
Printer was working fine. Then one day when I'm printing out pages of documents the page printed out but it wouldn't eject.
The Paper/Resume button and the Power button are flashing. When I push the Paper/Resume button the carrage makes a cycle and the page is ejected and the next page prints. Then the same thing happens over again and I have to push the Paper/Resume button to get the page to eject and the next page to print and so on.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by workedenuf (1/21/07 11:26 AM) reply + / -
The lights keep flashing when the computer is turned on.
We had Office Max refill our cartridge a few months ago instead of buying a new one.
It looks like there is some black ink on the inside (on the right hand side).
Nothing ever prints and the lights never stop blinking.
Any suggestions?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Stephen (1/21/07 6:36 PM) reply + / -
Which lights?

In sync, or alternating?

The ink is normal, keep the printer level so you do not spill it. (you can clean it out after you figure out the problem)

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by reedy (4/25/07 9:33 AM) reply + / -
The condition of my printer is not addressed on the HP troubleshoot page. My deskjet 960c shows a blinking RESUME light and no other lights on or blinking. When restarting it always goes through some protocol (with lights scrolling), passes through a blank page and then sits in this darn stubborn position of irresponsiveness. When sending documents, the status window shows out of paper?? Help?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Stephen (4/25/07 4:12 PM) reply + / -
Does paper feed before the resume light starts flashing?

If you listen to the motors during initialization do any seem to be turning faster than usual?

I've seen the paper encoder cause a similar problem in a different series...

The symptoms and tests are similar:

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/36013

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Yusuf Comertbay (9/4/07 2:36 PM) reply + / -
I have made a mistake, by disconnecting the power while the computer was sending signals to the printer, and sinds then my printer fails to print, When I turn the printer On, all the 3 leds blinking fast.

I tried several times to renieuw driver software, but nothing helps.
The inkcartridges are full, There is no paper jam.
The error light code (the 3 leds blinking fast the same time) is not in the manual.

Please Help me.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (9/4/07 4:41 PM) reply + / -
Disconnect the printer from the computer and unplug the power from the printer for 30 seconds. If the lights are not blinking as before when you reconnect the power and turn it on, reconnect to the computer and try printing.

If the lights continue to blink as before after reconnecting the power, you have a fatal error.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Arnuv Sinha Roy (9/22/07 7:52 AM) reply + / -
sir,
i have hp deskjet 5160 printer. my problem is that when i go to the option "print" a message is diplayed "top cover is open" and then my print is aborted. what should i do now, please send me the necessary details also few sample photographs if any. so that i can troubleshoot the problem as soon as possible.

regards:
Arnuv Sinha Roy
bhilai, chhattisgarh
India.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by ahmad alhasan (11/21/07 5:33 PM) reply + / -
i lost my cd and need to program my printer at another computer, please help me thank you.
p.s please respond as soon as possible

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (11/21/07 10:03 PM) reply + / -
Go to this web page.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by ardbeguser (12/16/07 9:47 AM) reply + / -
New cartridge, but past it's date, would not print any yellow. Looked through this post and tried the soaking in hot water first - no improvement. Then the vacuum cleaner method (using a Dyson!!), now works 100% - brilliant, never would have thought of that!!!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by sharliepond (12/27/07 9:16 AM) reply + / -
I just got a refurbished color cartridge installed in my HP Deskjet 960c and everything is printed in green with soft-white, no any red at all. Would like to know details of vacuum cleaner method. Is it done on the printer head area of the cartridge or somewhere else?
Thanks.

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (12/28/07 6:48 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP 420 Deskjet which also complained about being out of paper when paper was clearly available.
Bear with me, this is a bit of a tale.

Years ago I had two printers, an HP Deskjet 500 for B&W and a Lexmark 300 that came frre with the system for colour printing. To allow the pair to be used by my kids, so that they didn't use up all the 3-colour ink for b&w printing for scheoo, I bought a dirt-cheap T-switch, connected the printers up and tucked the Tswitch under the side of the monitor.
Time passed and the paper rollers on the 500 got harder and shinier and I replaced it with a second hand 420. All seemed to be fine.
Then we needed to print something and when it was sent to the printer, there was NO motor noise yet the dialog box on the PC indicated Out Of Paper. I disconnected the comms cable and the power cable from the back of the printer, left it for a minute, and reconnected. No improvement.
Cut to the chase, Harry.
I traced the cable from the printer to the back of the PC to see if it was plugged in correctly but it seemed to run in the wrong direction. That's because it goes to the Tswitch and, you've guessed it, over time the clutter around the screen has flipped the Tswitch over!
What's annoying about this is that when I ran a Comms Test from the Printer driver dialogs, it didn't indicate that there was a problem.

So, to resolve all these sorts of PC problems, you should follow a logical process. Follow the cables all the way through. Check and recheck every aspect of where the printer commands go, from PC to printer. Don't EVER assume anything.

And if you have a Tswitch in the circuit, give it an extra litle check, just to be sure!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by DaveDanger (1/7/08 8:33 AM) reply + / -
a few days ago, the light above the cartridge indicator began to blink, indicating low ink. It usually runs for a few more days before I have to actually replace it, so I allowed it to continue. It finally quit printing altogether, still with the cartridge light blinking. (Printing never became pale, or thin, etc). It does travel the indicator arrow to the black cartridge problem index, when the door is opened.
I pulled the empty cartridge and installed a fresh (Cartridge World® refill) and turned the printer off and back on to reset it and allow it to initialize.
It still sits with the light blinking and nothing changes. I took the refilled cartridge and swapped it for a fresh refill (Cartridge World is only 4 blocks from my office) and it still does the same. I've gone through power-offs, un-plugs, various combinations of button presses (per instructions in posts above) and nothing seems to remove the blinking light. The button presses to perform self diqagnostics and such don't do anything either.
The cartridges will travel to center when I open the door, but that's about all that happens.
I remember reading (I thought here on this site) a while back that there was a series of repetitive plug and un-plugs that could be performed to reset the printer completely, remove all memory of cartridges, errors and such, but I can't find that now. Any suggestions?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (1/8/08 2:29 PM) reply + / -
Clean the electrical contacts on the carriage and cartridges with a cotton swab and alcohol. If this doesn't solve the problem you may be getting defective refills.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by EdJ (1/23/08 8:54 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone know where I can buy a new encoder strip for my Hp Deskjet 960C. it became damaged after a paper jam with labels...

Thanks,

Ed-----

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (1/23/08 1:31 PM) reply + / -
Do a Google search for P/N C4557-80001. I easily found it for $10. Beware of scalpers!

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (1/23/08 9:29 PM) reply + / -
Replying to my own post above... My problem solved itself with not one, but TWO brand new cartridges. One Black and one Color. Blinking lights went away, and began to print again.
It's simply so frustrating to have to pay nearly 50% of the cost of the entire printer, for new cartridges.!

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by DaveDanger (1/23/08 9:32 PM) reply + / -
I neglected to login properly... I am NOT "anonymous" :)

Replying to my own post above... My problem solved itself with not one, but TWO brand new cartridges. One Black and one Color. Blinking lights went away, and began to print again.
It's simply so frustrating to have to pay nearly 50% of the cost of the entire printer, for new cartridges.!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Old Boab (3/18/08 7:32 AM) reply + / -
When printing I,m getting "shadow" effect round each letter.This seems to be worse with usb port than parallel

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (3/18/08 7:32 PM) reply + / -
Clean the encoder strip on both sides with water. The encoder strip is made if thin plastic 1/4" wide and runs the length of the printer. Use caution to avoid disconnecting the strip from its mounting hooks.

If cleaning fails to solve the problem you may have some partially clogged nozzles on the black cartridge. I'm making that assumption because you say the problem happens when printing text. Soak the nozzle area on the cartridge in about 1/2" of near boiling water. If soaking doesn't help you will have to get a new cartridge.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (5/6/08 5:46 AM) reply + / -
I have heard that if you are paying outlandish prices for cartridges its the companies way of fading that printer out. They raise the prices to stop people from wanting the ink.

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (5/24/08 6:52 PM) reply + / -
The ink cartridge light started flashing and the printing STOPPED. The flashing continues when the lipe is open. The B&W and color cartridges are relatively new. I took both of them out and look at them -- nothing unusual. I rebooted my computer several times. Also, I power-cycled the printer several times, waiting 10 seconds before turning it back on each time. How do I stop the flashing and get the printer to start printing again? Thank you, Julie.

Re: Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (5/24/08 7:00 PM) reply + / -
p.s. Rubbing alcohol didn't help. The cartridges are HP originals (not refills). Yes, I swapped them out. Thank you.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (5/24/08 8:31 PM) reply + / -
Alcohol didn't help what? Assuming you have good cartridges, generally cleaning the electrical contacts on the cartridge and carriage with alcohol and a cotton swab will solve the problem.

Go to page 51 in HP's Quick Help Guide (link below) for info on "checking the cartridge status." The printer will tell you which cartridge it is unhappy with.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd08643.pdf

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by julie1028 (5/25/08 8:42 AM) reply + / -
Bert, thank you.

I used rubbing alcohol on the electrical contacts on the cartridge and carriage. (I clean these, esp. in carriage, every few months. This time, the cotton swab was quite clean.)

Per the pg. 51 figure, the arrow on my printer pointed to the cartridge with the single dot. I've taken out the nearly-new HP black cartridge and replaced it with two others, one nearly empty and another new one. No luck -- the light still flashes.

Since this printer has been spitting out small plastic pieces for the past four years, I concluded that it had died. If I can resurrect it, fine. However, I can't wait for the "magic fix".

Yesterday, I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro L7590. It's frighteningly fast!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by ramkat (8/2/08 10:30 AM) reply + / -
The printer stopped printing blue. I replaced the cartridge with a new one. The carriage returns to the normal position when I open the cover. I cannot get into the printer setup utility's utility icon in order to view the ink content or to clean the printer head. The test page prints out fine but without blue. The printer setup utility lists 5 960c's none of which when highlighted also highlights the utility icon.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (8/2/08 11:37 AM) reply + / -
The ink level is a useless indicator if the print nozzles are clogged. Blot the color cartridge print nozzles on a damp paper towel a few times for two seconds. You should see yellow, magenta, and cyan (blue) flowing freely. If not in spite of ink being in the cartridge it is defective.

Unless all of those "spare" 960s are network printers I suggest deleting them. I don't know why the utilities are not working but if you are using Windows XP I suggest deleting all vestiges of the local printer, and then downloading and installing a the latest driver from HP.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by SueC123 (8/2/08 3:26 PM) reply + / -
I print a lot of pages in black and white draft mode. All of a sudden these are printing in a grayscale (dull color) form, instead of light black or gray. My Advanced Properties are set to Grayscale but only on Color Printing Mode. Plus, I don't know how to change this anyway, since Grayscale is the only option it's giving me.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (8/2/08 6:22 PM) reply + / -
Verify that ink can flow from the cartridge(s) by blotting the print nozzles on a damp paper towel a few times for two seconds. You should see all of the colors (three-color cartridge: yellow, magenta, and cyan) that are supposed to be in it flowing freely. If you do not, in spite of ink being in the cartridge it is defective.

If the cartridges seem to be working uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by SueC123 (8/2/08 9:04 PM) reply + / -
Thanks, but the problem is not with the Color Ink Cartridge. It's with the Black lettering being printed from the Color Ink Cartridge instead of the Black Ink cartridge. I don't know why it's suddenly doing this, but it will be a lot more expensive in the long run. I am wondering if Norton Antivirus updates can mess with your computer (or printer) settings?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (8/2/08 9:43 PM) reply + / -
I don't know if Norton can cause the problem you describe. Not knowing all of the nuances of the problem, thats why I suggested reinstalling the driver. I'm aware that The Deskjet 960 driver for Windows XP and 98 downloaded from HP is supposed to print in grayscale from either the color cartridge or the black cartridge. The option is under the Advanced tab, and when the grayscale box is checked you should be able to select Black only.

The reason I suggested checking the color cartridge is that some people are confused about which mode they are using.

Download the driver here. HP no longer supports Windows 98. If you need the 98 driver email me.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (9/28/08 12:54 PM) reply + / -
test page prints fine. but when i try to print my data a blank page comes out

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (9/28/08 8:57 PM) reply + / -
If you are using Windows XP or Vista delete the printer by going to the Control Panel and selecting Printers, right click on the printer icon, then select delete. Restart the computer and the printer should reinstall.

If you are using HP's printer driver software with XP, the program group created during installation will provide an uninstall option, then reinstall the software. I recommend using HP's software in place of the generic driver included with XP if you are not already. Get it here:

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by awring (12/17/08 6:14 PM) reply + / -
Printing interrupted and now printer just spits out page after
pages of senseless letters and characters.
How do I reset?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (12/17/08 6:33 PM) reply + / -
Turn off the printer and restart the computer. If that fails to solve the problem uninstall and reinstall the printer driver.

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (12/17/08 7:36 PM) reply + / -
Thanks for your help. I turned off printer and also restarted computer--neither of which worked. Will try printer driver.
This thing has done this before. Very frustrating.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by johnhilton23 (1/13/09 6:27 AM) reply + / -

when I print a document the tops of letters are missing

thanks John

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (1/13/09 6:44 PM) reply + / -
Most likely you need to replace the black cartridge.

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by denicoza (3/10/09 1:21 PM) reply + / -
I am getting a "Printer out of Paper" message when attempting to print using my HP Deskjet 960c, even thought there is sufficient, good paper in the tray.
The printer simply remains inactive. i.e. there is no sound, movement of any kind, the rollers do not even attempt to pick up the paper.
Help please!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Bert (3/10/09 9:52 PM) reply + / -
Print an internal test page to verify operation. Turn on the printer. Press and hold power button and press and release the resume button one time, then release the power button.

If the test page prints check the cable going between the printer and computer for a solid connection on both ends.

Make sure you have selected the correct printer when printing.

Delete and reinstall the printer software.

Re: Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (3/10/09 11:30 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert.
It was indeed the printer cable - I disconnected and then reconnected both ends...and voila!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Ginger Davis (10/26/09 9:27 AM) reply + / -
One big long vertical stripe down the page when I use the sheet feeder only-copies and faxes and scans. I have cleaned the rollers and I do not know what else to do. I need to use the sheet feeder so I can fax more that one doc at a time. Thanks if you can help. Ginger

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (10/26/09 10:21 AM) reply + / -
Ginger,
What are you talking about? A HP Deskjet 960c (which this thread is about) doesn't have a copier, fax or scanner option???????
Good luck!

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by JennyB (4/7/10 8:04 AM) reply + / -
When I try to run a 'Print diagnostic page, the HP DJ 960c prints the page in Portrait mode, and it's too small to read. I've got the printer set to landscape mode. Is there some other setting I could change?

Re: hp deskjet 960c printing problem by Anonymous (5/5/10 7:08 PM) reply + / -
my printer wont print why????????? i have everything right!!!!!!!!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters