fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson ink cartridge leaking?

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Pat (1/26/04 2:50 PM) reply + / -
I replaced the color ink cartridge (Epson brand) in my Epson 740. When I printed, a black streak ran the length of the page about 1 3/4 inches from the edge. I checked inside and found ink on one of the rollers. I cleaned it and ran the head cleaner. Ink was back on the roller. I cleaned the roller several times, but ink keeps showing up on it.

I'm guessing the cartridge is defective and leaking, but I hate to throw it out if that's not the problem.

If I do need to replace it, is there anything special I need to do to take out this full cartridge?

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (1/26/04 4:51 PM) reply + / -
Pat: The cartridge is probably ok. That particular problem is normally caused by a build-up of dust, dirt, lint and hair that sticks to the wet ink on the bottom side and backside areas of the Printhead Assembly. That build-up acts like a small paint brush and transfers wet ink to those small rollers. Those small rollers then act like tiny paint rollers and roll the wet ink onto the paper as it passes below those rollers. Once those two areas are thoughly cleaned and then the small rollers are also cleaned, the problem will normally go away. Check for a couple of e-mails from me that should help in that area...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Scott S (3/3/04 8:51 AM) reply + / -
I'm having the same problem with my Epson Photo 1200. What's the best way to clean the bottom and back of the Printhead? Do I have to remove it, and how do I remove it?

Thanks!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (3/3/04 9:13 AM) reply + / -
Scott: Normally, if you try to remove the Printhead Assembly, you will usually end up damaging it, or getting the Factory Settings thrown off. Its best to clean it while installed in the printer. Check for a couple of e-mails from me, with information on that area...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Scott S (3/3/04 9:31 AM) reply + / -
Denny you ROCK. Thanks for the info, I will read it tonight when I get home, looks pretty thorough.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Willie (3/8/04 11:08 PM) reply + / -
I'm having the same problem with my Epson Stylus C60. When I print on glossy paper, I get those black streaks. I've tried cleaning them, but I guess I'm not cleaning it well enough cuz I still see the streaks. I'm running out of glossy paper and patience. What's the best way to clean this?

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Wes (3/8/04 11:21 PM) reply + / -
You can clean the face of the print head. It's pretty easy to do. Use this link for info with photos http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/phface.html Just in case you can't access the site here is the text portion of the page.

"First thing is to get the carriage to move into the ink cartridge replacement position Usually pressing the paper feed button will make the carriage move. Once the carriage moves from it's "parked" position just unplug the printer.

In addition the flushing the print heads of old ink and unclogging it the face of the print head can attract dust, paper lint and pet hair. You can clean the face of the print head using a folded paper towel or coffee filter. Sometimes you will need to cut the paper towel or coffee filters into strips ū of an inch to 1 inch wide.

Then dampen the paper towel or coffee filter with warm distilled water (you will want the paper towel/coffee filter to be damp but not dripping) Now you place the damp paper towel/coffee filter in the path of the print head. Then pass the carriage over the paper towels/coffee filters to remove the foreign matter from the face of the print head.

As you slide the print head over the paper towel/coffee filters a few times you will start the see the debris is being removed from the face of the print head. It is not uncommon to perform this process several times to completely remove all of the foreign matter from the print head's face."

I hope this helps.

Wes.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Willie (3/9/04 12:00 AM) reply + / -
Wes: Thanks for the tip! Ran that through a few times and got a huge piece of dirt off! Looking at my 3rd printout, it still shows vague lines, but much better than what I had before. I guess after a few more cleanings, it'll be spotless! Thanks again!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ruxton28 (3/9/04 12:25 AM) reply + / -
Denny
I am havong same problems with my epson 440 stylus. Please send me the infro on print head cleaning too. Also do you have any comments on my other post today re error code KD0388
Thanks

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ruxton28 (3/9/04 12:28 AM) reply + / -
Denny
I am having same problem with my Epson 44o stylus. Can you please mail me with the info on head cleaning.
Also do you have any comments on my other post today re error code KD0388
Thanks

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (3/9/04 9:24 AM) reply + / -
ruxton28: I have e-mailed you the same info that I sent to Pat...Sorry, but I have never heard of an error code KDO388 on an Epson Stylus 440 Printer. Epson Ink Jet Printers normally only cause Service Error Conditions that use SOLID and FLASHING Lights/Led's on the printers operational control panel...Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (3/10/04 10:48 AM) reply+1 + / -
Pat, Scott S, Willie & ruxton28: I don't know if this will help you at this point, but "EPSON Technical Repair Information/Service Repair Manuals", for many Epson Stylus Inkjet Printers, can be downloaded in Adobe Acrobat format, [from the UK web-site] at " http://www.epson.co.uk/repair/inkjet.htm "...Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (3/10/04 11:23 AM) reply + / -
Willie: My Apologies, as it has been pointed out to me that the link I gave to you, is only for the older models of Epson Ink Jet Printers...Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ruxton28 (3/11/04 2:05 AM) reply + / -
Well Denny
I downloaded the SSC utility and used the agressive tool a couple of times to clean the nozzles and I got a part fix. Some of the colour is printing now. When I tried toprint a test pattern it said it was "printing to file" and wouldnt work. When I tried to use the Epson utility to do this I got the same result. The printer was not printing anything at all. I uninstalled the SSC utility and it still did'nt work so I used the uninstall feature in Norton System works and this solved that problem. I then used your methods to clean the print head but found the entrance tothe nozzles extreemly small. I think to do it properly you would need a surgical syringe. I used an eye dropper and forced hot water into the nozzle as best as I could. I left this overnight and this morning noticed lots of ink seems to have wicked out onto the strips of kitchen roll I laid under the print head. I will try to print again tonight. if that doesnt work I have my eye on a new printer at Ģ53 delivered from PC world. Thanks again for all help received

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Kevin H (7/29/04 10:44 AM) reply + / -
Thanks to all of you for the posts and the forum. I've been struggling with the same problem on my "beloved" Epson 1160 and these posts and links were just what I needed...printing perfect again in 15 minutes! I've already been shopping for a replacement, reading printer reviews on sites like amazon.com, and ironically, that is where I found the link to this site...it likely cost them a $400 sale. Hee Hee!

Never thought of using coffee filters...worked like a charm...and luckily this stopped me from continuing to use alcohol before it was too late!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Ferreira (8/19/04 7:04 AM) reply + / -
Hi
I have Epson Stylus Photo 1200
The printer is a problem, I checked the power and this total ledīs is flashing, what this problem?
I hope this helps.
Regards
Ferreira
reparaimpressao@sapo.pt
Viseu-Portugal

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Denny Conway (8/19/04 9:12 AM) reply + / -
Ferreira: I'm assuming that you mean that all the Lights/Leds on your printer, are flashing. IF SO, THEN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION APPLIES: A Service Error where all LED's/Lights are blinking at the same time, is normally a Maintenance Request Error. The maintenance request error is actually a Waste Ink Ink Pad Error and normally your remedy is to replace the Waste Ink Pad/Pads with a new one/ones and then reset the Internal Waste Ink Pad Counter. If you just reset the counter and don't replace the pads, then your printers old pads will eventually overflow and normally start leaking ink out the bottom of your printer. Some people actually wash the ink out of the old pads, by holding them under running cold water, then dry them out and simply reinstall them back into their printer. The choice on what to actually do, is yours to make. I would at least recommend getting that Waste Ink Counter reset procedure and performing it first, to make sure your printer will then work...THIS ADDITIONAL INFO POSTED BY "WES", MIGHT ALSO BE OF SOME HELP: Wes 12/07/2003 13:57:30 To see what's involved in servicing the waste ink pads try this http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/wip.html [OR] Tim H 12/10/2003 2:46:24 Subject: Epson Reset Program Download Location. after a long search for a reset program for waste ink, without paying, i found it. goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/sscserve.exe . please check that your printer is compatible goto: http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html . this program has other features as well. TECH NOTE: Unfortunatly, the SSC Service Utility does not work on all Epson Printers and not on all Operating Systems, so you will have to check it out first...You will have to check on your particular Epson Printer Model, but you may be able to actually get that adjustment program for free, from www.resetters.com . I have never tried that source myself, but it was recommended by "WES"...Just in case the other sources do not work: You may actually need to go on-line to try and locate a "SERVICE MANUAL" or a "RESET PROCEDURE", to buy and download for reference in disassembly, troubleshooting and servicing. I have checked and you can find a SERVICE MANUAL for your "Epson Stylus Photo 1200", from 2manuals.com, at http://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_18_39&products_id=147 , for around $10.00...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by jock jack (9/4/04 5:18 AM) reply + / -
I'm having the same black streaking problem as Scott S on my Epson photo 1200, but not just on gloss paper. I'm using non Epson Archival Ink on watercolour paper to reproduce watercolour paintings. Presumably the solution is the same Denny? If so please send me details.

Re: Epson ink cartridge (stylus 440 Epson) by helena Yazie (8/14/07 7:25 AM) reply + / -
Hi! I have been having problems with my printer. It seems to print one day and on another day it doesn't print. I use the cleaning tools on the printer ( the one that tells you to clean the head or the nozzle) but still does not print. What can I do?
I would appreciate it if you could help...

Helena

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by bethg (8/15/07 11:21 AM) reply + / -
sounds like your printer has a clog try buying a cleaning kit for it. You can buy 1 from this site

Re: Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Tonny (10/16/07 1:15 PM) reply + / -
Hi Wes,

You posted quite some time ago... But even now in 2007 you help me enormously! My son needed to print out an assignment for school. Guess what. My C60 started leaking ink. :-(
Your analysis is dead on and your cure works! No more lines and spots and a beautiful printed assignment! :-D

Thank you very much!

Tonny.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by chipb (6/22/09 3:01 PM) reply + / -
Denny, can you send me the indepth instructions that are referred to in this string. I am having the same problem with the rollers leaving ink on the paper. Thanks much.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Christopher J (12/3/09 1:20 PM) reply + / -
I have the Epson r220 that prints on cd/dvd as well as paper.
I have a problem when I print on cd/dvd's that about every quarter of an inch there is a black dot in a straight line down the cd/dvd on the left side. I am sure that I need to clean the rollers but I dont know how to with out taking the machine apart. Does that sound like my problem or no?

Re: Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by norberto (2/6/10 7:05 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ej_mazon (6/2/10 2:46 AM) reply + / -
Hi, I have an epson printer with ink already installed to it. I just used for some printouts but after few weeks some are low while the black is empty, so i bough a new black cartridge and replace the existing. After few weeks it's empty again. My friend have same problem with me. Both are epson but diff model.

Can you help me fix this problem? My children needed a printer for their projects.

Thanks.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by AshleyLewis (6/2/10 4:42 AM) reply + / -
I do not think there is a leaking problem of cartridge.Because as per your explanation,the second cartridge is also empty.
So i think you have to choose a right font for your printer and have to regular printing.
And important thing is that do not print images more because it occupy more ink.
And shake your cartridge if this problem will again happen.
-------------------------
http://www.inkjetsuperstore.ca

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ej_mazon (6/7/10 12:27 AM) reply + / -
But how come it's empty again? We just use it for some word printout and just few pages. But anyway thank you for your suggestion, I'll try it again and if same thing happens I'll check the site that you'd given me.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Wes (6/7/10 9:05 AM) reply + / -
ANytime you turn the printer on. Or it runs a cleaning cycle it is using all the ink cartridges. Add to that the printer uses composite black as well as pure black. So even if it does not look like it the printer is still using the color ink cartridges. There really is no way to avoid it.

I think the person is a ink seller and does not know much about printers. I say this because her (AshleyLewis) answer really does not make much sense. And just wants you to buy ink from them.

I hope this helps.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Kobe26 (10/2/10 11:22 AM) reply + / -
I have a Epson CX6000, I place a four new ink cartridge in the printer, it was working at first, then two days later for some reason the black ink stop working. Shortly afterward, the printer said one cartridges was low when it was half full earlier that day. After running a couple of nozzle cleaning and lining test. The ink kept dropping and dropping. I check with a napkin and notice that there was ink leakage in the back. I don't know what to do or who to go to,

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by hussain991 (3/14/11 10:20 PM) reply + / -
Hey.. I am having this leaking spot on the paper same as the other users can you email me the procedure ? I will be very gratefull thanx

Email albizco@gmail.com

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Bolts (10/1/11 1:31 PM) reply + / -
Epson Stylus r1900 - printer leaves big smears of ink and doesn't print accurately - of you could also send me email help instructions I would be very thankful

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by requiredwhen (12/12/11 11:52 AM) reply + / -
Hi

I also have a r1900 that leaves ink streaks across the page once in a while.
I am using refillable dampener cartridges.

Can I also have the help instructions?

Thanks
Steve

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by anon1 (3/21/12 7:18 PM) reply + / -
I have an old Epsom stylus color 740 which needed a new cartridge. But after I replaced it with several problems, I now have ink printing on the edge of the page on the right side--front and back of the paper. I need to know how to move the cartridges out of that area to clean it. I found instructions on how to do that but now can't find it. Please direct me! Thanks.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Wes (3/21/12 9:12 PM) reply + / -
Push the paper feed button. Once the carriage moves unplug the printer. And you can now move the carriage all you want.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by paschaline (6/18/12 8:45 AM) reply + / -
Am havin the same problem.my epson p50 is really leaking even after a thorough printing head cleaning,I don't know what to do!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by BSM (edited 11/29/12 5:37 AM) reply + / -
I'm having similar problems with my Epson Photo R2400.

Can you please send me the instructions on cleaning the print head.

Thanks.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Martha Hayden (3/26/13 5:11 PM) reply + / -
My Epson workforce 1100 is leaving a black streak on the back side (left). I would really appreciate it if you sent me the instructions for cleaning the rollers. Thanks very much

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ph1994 (4/2/13 6:39 PM) reply + / -
I have an Epson Artisan 837 which started to leave red blobs of ink on the paper. I installed all new Epson cartridges. Cleaned the heads 3 times, aligned the heads and have the same red ink blobs.

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Redstorm_UK (8/11/13 7:10 PM) reply + / -
I could really do with some help.

I have the same problem on my Epson Stylus Photo R220...

Dotted lines straight down the CD

Can anyone suggest a remedy or email me the cleaning instructions that seem to be doing the rounds on here...

PLEASE

Thanks in advance

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by NCnyc (9/4/13 11:07 AM) reply + / -
Hi,
I am having the same problem as PH1994 which is on my Artisan 837 my light magenta keeps leaking huge blobs of ink on everything. I have head cleaned multiple times, I have changed the cartridge to a new cartridge now 3 times. Help!
Thanks,
N

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Desert Dweller (9/18/13 4:25 PM) reply + / -
I am getting blue (cyan) ink blobs. I have an Epson Artisan 730 printer.

Re: Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by OmbashisT (2/28/14 7:44 AM) reply + / -
Hello Denny, i have the epson wf-3520 and i have the same problem. can you send me the information about cleaning the Printhead Assembly?

Thanks

Tasos

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Philippa Smith (3/19/14 12:52 PM) reply + / -
Hi, all colour ink for my Epson Workforce Pro 4540 all in one.
When printing a good amount of yellow ink spews out onto the paper and continues but gets a little less as you print.
I opened up the door panel where the inks are inserted. You can see right inside. I used a flashlight and notice yellow ink is very noticeable inside. I pulled out the cartridges but they are not leaking. I may have to buy a new printer :(

Phil

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by bjrboop (7/23/14 8:28 PM) reply + / -
My artisan837 and 835 is leaking ink (cyan) and photos are printing green, I used the utility to clean the print head but it did not work. I also cut off the printer after cleaning the print head. Can you give me to instructions on how to clean up this problem. The 837 is leaking cyan all over the page.

Re: Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by Hermanangelo (9/7/14 3:34 PM) reply + / -
the photo link did not work. So I thought about your description and took a good look at the inside of the printing sliding carriage mechanism with a strong light.
I noticed a lot of black ink built up on the left side inside of this slot. So I scooped it out with a tiny spoon and then cleaned the track with Costco baby wipes. I made a few test prints which had black ink at the beginning which petered out. I wiped up again and made a good print. I don't know if the cartridge is leaking or if this is buildup over time. I will keep watching it now that I see the problem.

Re: Epson ink leaking? by ciao (9/25/14 11:52 PM) reply + / -
hello!
i'm having a problem with my EpsonL110 that leaks ink at the bottom of the unit.
i have refilled the ink tanks and yet the ink just spills out and leave a mess in my table most of the time. the print is good but the unit itself is leaking ink..
what will I do. hope you could help me with this. thank you!!

Re: Epson ink cartridge leaking? by ladyallenfla (10/22/14 7:20 AM) reply + / -
I am having the same problem with my WP-4540. I get a blue streak down the entire right side of the page. I have changed ink and it still happens. I would appreciate any help if figuring out how to fix this.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters