fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Jorge M. (1/11/04 8:24 AM) reply + / -
I have a Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 820Cxi Professional Series printer. Recently I had the problem where the cartrige would slam to the left. I fixed the little lever which was misplaced and now the cartrige moves fine. Now the problem is that the printer does not want to take in paper. I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. Where the in-tray is at, the bottom inner part of it should rise so the little wheels can get the paper. Well, it doesn't rise at all. The wheels work fine, it is just that the paper isn't rising at all. Does anybody know how to fix this problem. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by jon (1/11/04 12:15 PM) reply + / -
The little lever you fixed is the roller drive actuator. When the carriage moves it to the left, it engages the 2 gears together, driving the rollers and the lifting plate. It's possible the gear broke or a piece of the engage arm broke off and thus isn't engaging the gears.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Jorge M. (1/21/04 5:28 PM) reply + / -
Anybody else know how I may be able to fix this printer, or at least what else may be wrong?

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Marti (1/21/04 8:21 PM) reply + / -
HPDeskJet 880C keeps giving me a message that it is not connected.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by T.R. (1/26/04 8:51 AM) reply + / -
I'm having the same problem with an HP 672C, but I didn't have the roller drive actuator problem first.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Bert (1/26/04 10:20 AM) reply + / -
If the feed rollers are turning but not picking up papaer, clean them with a damp cloth. If that solves your problem, use rubber rejuvenator as a long term fix.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkx3.html

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by T.R. (1/26/04 11:02 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the response, Bert, but the feed rollers work fine. The problem is that the tray is supposed to raise the paper up to the feed rollers, but it does not.

Thanks.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Ken (1/26/04 12:18 PM) reply + / -
I had that problem with my 560C. I had to feed every sheet manually, or hit the load/eject button a time or two. I tried cleaning the rollers-no luck.

Then I bought some good paper and it has not missed a sheet in about a year. Maybe your HP does not like cheap paper. Try some good HP premium paper.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Jorge M. (1/26/04 7:21 PM) reply + / -
My printer will not pickup any paper. The problem is that the tray does not raise the paper so the rollers can get the paper. Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this paper tray problem. (The rollers work just fine.)

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Bert (1/27/04 12:58 AM) reply + / -
T.R. and Jorge
I'm assuming that the printer goes throught the motions of picking up paper with the exception of not lifting it into the feed rollers. Your printers, although they are of a different series, work the same. Here is what is suppose to happen.

The paper pick up cycle is intiated by the carriage moving to the extreme left. It pushes against the clutch actuator (a sliding part with a downward facing point). The clutch actuator engages opposing gear-like teeth causing the platten to rotate downward. Viewed from a low angle on the left, a socket-like piece moves downward with the platten. Engaged with the socket is a claw-like piece that is the linkage to the horizontal paper lifer bar.

Remove the paper tray to easily view the socket, the claw, the the bar. Push down on the platten and all these components should move together. I have never seen these components fail to work together unless a printer has not not been assembled properly. The only other possibility, on an otherwise working printer, is the gear teeth previously mentioned being damaged. If this is so, I would expect to hear a grinding sound.

Are you guys sure that failure to lift paper is the only problem you have? Let know what you find.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by T.R. (1/27/04 10:13 AM) reply + / -
Bert (and Jon from earlier), thank you very much! The problem was that the carriage was not moving far enough to the left to push on the clutch actuator. I've had problems with other printers where the carriage didn't know where it was because the mylar strip (sorry, I don't know the name of that piece) was dirty. So, I cleaned off the mylar strip on this printer. Now the carriage hits the clutch actuator and it prints perfectly. Maybe the same solution will work for you, Jorge.

Thanks again to both of you!

T.R.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by mag2 (2/11/04 3:24 AM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my deskjet 850C. I see the actuator, but the print cartridge assembly just stops when it contacts it and the green and yellow led's start flashing alternately.
Pushing the paper advance will cause the paper to advance.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Denny Conway (2/11/04 10:54 AM) reply + / -
mag2: Two areas may be causing your printers problem...#1: With the printer turned on, lift the "top cover" and the "print cartridge holder assembly" should unlock and move towards the center of the printer. When it does move, then reach over and unplug the power cable where it plugs into the back or side of the printer. If the "cart holder assy" is already stuck over to the left side, just unplug your printers power cord and then manually slide the "cart holder assy" over towards the right side. Now look into the printer at the far left side. Look approximately an inch or so just below the end of the round carriage shaft/bar. There is a flat piece of plastic [white or black color], about 2 1/2 inches long that looks like a small lever. It has a protrusion/point that hangs downward, on the right end of the lever. That lever points in towards the center of the printer. That lever must hang loosely and kind of slides back-n-forth if you slightly push or pull on it. Sometimes that lever will get out of position and jam, or hang-up on another piece of plastic. Occasionally that lever will be stuck on a nearby gear, or plastic protrusion on the paper pick-up assembly that moves up and down. If it looks like its stuck, just use a small flat screwdriver to carefully lift up on that lever and slighty move it towards the right. If it was stuck and you released it, just close the top cover, plug the power cord back-in and turn-on the printer. Your printer should be ok now, if the lever was stuck. If the lever was not stuck, shine a flashlight on the right end and closely look at that point/protrusion that hangs down. If that point is WORN-OFF or BROKEN, that might be your actual problem. The point has to engage with the "paper pick-up assembly", so that the black plastic "turn plate/paper guide assembly" will move downwards to allow the paper to be picked up and fed into the printer for the printing process. The part may be cheap, but involves a lot of disassembly to replace...#2: Although it's possible your printer has an electronic or mechanical failure, it is more likely that the Carriage Assembly is simply DIRTY and or DRY and causing problems. That usually results in the printer loosing track of just where the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly is actually at. It then keeps telling that assembly to keep moving and can even cause it to slam into the end of the printer, when it gets real dirty and dry. That slamming can also result in the printers Printhead Alignment being thrown off. Try wiping the bar, all around the round shaft, with a lint free cloth. Also clean the outside of the metal bushings with Q-Tips, that the carriage bar passes thru, on both sides of the holder assembly. You can also use alchol on the cloth, if there is a lot of build-up on the carriage shaft/bar. Then lube the metal bar on both sides of the holder assembly, slightly with a precision oiler, not a spray lubrication. A drop or two of a teflon based lubrication is best, but even a household 3 in 1 type oil or a silicone based lubricant can be used. Manually slide the holder assembly back and forth to spread out the lubrication and wipe of any excess lube or blackish build-up that appears on the bar. Look for an e-mail message from me with more in-depth information, that might help you in that area...Good Luck! Denny Conway...P.S. You can check out this link, supplied by WES, to see different lubrications: http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/oil.html

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Srinivasan (2/11/04 11:38 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert, I had the same problem as T.R and Jorge and once I slided the cartridge to the left, everything works fine.

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Bob Stroud (7/10/04 11:27 AM) reply + / -
I have an HP 672c and although it has paper it says no. Pushing the paper button, which keeps on flashing,does nothing.What can I do?
Thanks

Re: HP DeskJet Won't Pick Up Paper by Bert (7/10/04 10:27 PM) reply + / -
If the feed rollers are turning but not picking up papaer, clean them with a damp cloth. If that solves your problem, use rubber rejuvenator as a long term fix.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkx3.html

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters