fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Printer Repair Kits    Cartridges    Fusers    Specials    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

HP printer cartridge carriage does not move

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Ellen (12/26/03 9:39 AM) reply + / -
Our HP 720 C printer's cartridge carriage will not move to center when lid is lifted. What is wrong ?

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Anonymous (12/26/03 11:03 AM) reply + / -
I keep getting a message "press enter to align cartridges" and there is nothing wrong with the alignment. Previously when this happened someone told me what to do to rid this problem and it worked but now I can't remember what I did. It was just a matter of pressing and holding something? Anyone know of this solution?
Thanks-

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Bert (12/27/03 5:01 PM) reply + / -
Ellen
I assume that the green power light is on. Does the printer make any sound at all when you open the cover? Are there any blinking lights? If so, which ones?

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Ellen (12/29/03 5:02 PM) reply + / -
Bert,
Power light is on.
No sound ,no blinking lights.
I assume that perhaps a sensor broke over moving ,to a different house, which I did twice with this printer.

It poses a problem when wanting to change ink cartridges. This last time we took the cover off with directions from Tracy's post. That worked!

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Sue (12/29/03 5:46 PM) reply + / -
I have the same problem with my Deskjet 1120C. It seems to print fine but when I need to change the cartridge it will not move to the center. Any suggestions?

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Wonderdog (12/29/03 6:05 PM) reply + / -
Ellen,

I think you're right on target with the sensor idea. The good news is that, if you're lucky, you won't have to take the housing off.

Look at the underside of the cover, along the edge where the hinges are. You should see a couple blade-like projections, that disappear into slots in the housing when you close the cover. One of those slots (probably the left one) appears to have no use on this printer; it will be nothing but a clear hole. If you look into the other slot you will see a square block on each side of it (this is below the surface of the housing).

Those blocks are an electronic eye that senses the presence/absence of the blade on the cover. When the cover closes, the blade interrupts the line of sight between the two blocks, and the printer assumes the cover is closed. The same thing will happen if there is dust or an obstruction between the blocks. If you see something like that, try to remove it.

If there is no obstruction on or between the blocks, the problem is probably an electrical failure that won't be worth fixing unless you happen to have another 720 to salvage from [the sensor blocks are built into a circuit board on the back of the unit]. If it comes down to that, let me know, as I may be able to get one from an HP 722.

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by bob (12/30/03 4:22 AM) reply + / -
Ellen,

Make sure the lid sensor isn't damaged or dirty. If the printer doesn't think the lid has been lifted it won't bring the carriage into the middle.

Al

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by bob (12/30/03 4:25 AM) reply + / -
If that doesn't work, print a blank page and when the cartridges are in the middle pull the power lead out of the back. It'll save you taking off the covers.

Al

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Dodie (8/27/04 3:49 PM) reply + / -
I have a Hp 3820 . The paper feeds though but the cartridges not not move or it moves to the left and just sets there while the paper just runs though. HELP HELP

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by Bert (8/27/04 4:33 PM) reply + / -
A typical unrepairable failure on the 3820 because there are no parts available. Don't waste your time fretting over it-you probably got your moneys worth. Join the legions of others who have discovered that cheap printers don't last. Spend over a $100 for a new printer.

Re: HP printer cartridge carriage does not move by moe (8/27/04 4:41 PM) reply + / -
I was just reading today that HP is coming out with a whole new series of 12 deskjets. They use a super-duper new ink. You can put a drop of black into a pool of yellow ink and it won't mix with it. Also fades less than Kodak prints. They start at $99.99. I'd avoid the lowest cost model.

Re: HP 722 PROBLEMS by pac722 (1/25/06 6:31 PM) reply + / -
TRIED TO REPLACE THE DRIVE BELT HAVE IT BACK TOGETHER AND THE SPITOON WON'T RESET ITSELF JUST MAKES GRINDIND NOISE...I HAVE TAKEN IT OUT AND CLEAN ALL THE INK OUT OF IT THE SPONGE WAS FALLING APART AND IS NOT THERE ANY HELP OUT THERE

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters