fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Sean Johnson (12/20/03 10:15 AM) reply + / -
Bought the printer on ebay where it was described as being new though it was tested. Out of the box, the paper and ink LED's are blinking red and the power light is off. Tech support confirmed it's an "internal error" and it needs to go back. It will not do a self test and the cartridges don't move when the cover is lifted. Since I bought it on ebay, I don't have the original receipt so it won't be covered under warranty.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Wes (12/20/03 11:34 AM) reply + / -
You can try the SSC service utility to see if it is the waste ink counter here is the link http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html and then run the "Protection Counter" option here is info on using the SSC utility http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/epsonSSC.html.

You could have a fatal error but I don't have the service info on that model so the best advice I can give you now is to run the SSC service utility and see if that restores your printer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Wes.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Wes (12/20/03 11:28 PM) reply + / -
Sean, Give this a try check the status monitor to see if you have a printer communication error. It sounds like you may have a fatal error. Generally the lights flashing indicate a maintenance error a general error or fatal error.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Wes.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Denny Conway (12/22/03 11:31 AM) reply + / -
Sean: I looked in the Service Manual for the "900" and unfortunatly, there is no listing for any Service Error Condition, where just the two ink Led's are flashing, by themselves. In fact the only error listed when those two led's are flashing at all , also has the power and paper led's flashing at the same time [all 4 led's flashing] and that is the Maintenance Error, which is the Waste Ink Counter that WES was talking about...There's of course no way for me to actually know whats wrong with your printer. You may even have an actual HARDWARE PROBLEM [parts problem]. I have ran into a couple of "900's" that had a short circuit problem in the metal shielding box that mounts over the "power supply unit/board assembly". You would probably need a Service Manual for reference, disassembly and in-depth troubleshooting. I have seen the end with the holes/cutouts in it, actually have that side of the shielding plate bend from a straight 90 degree angle to about a 45 degree angle. At the 45 degree angle the metal side plate can touch electrical components, causing the shorting condition. You will have to pull the bottom board assembly to be able to visually see the metal shielding plate/box. If yoe remove that metal box assy, check for a bent side and then straighten it. Then use electrical tape and tape all the edges that fit down onto the power supply board. Less chance of contact causing another shorting condition. Of course, if you find that side was in contact with the board, there's always a chance that damage was actually done to the "power supply assy"...The other area that I've seen some electrical shorting occur is on the right side of the printer [from the front]. With the top cover removed you can look at the right side and see several white electrical ribbon cables running along that side. Very carefully pull those cables loose from where they are taped to the metal frame area and then put strips of black electrical tape onto the metal frame area. The black tape acts as insulation between the ribbon cable and the metal frame and helps to stop possible shorts. Use black electrical tape between any ribbon cables and metal areas on the right side and in the back side or any other area you can easily get too...Good Luck! Denny Conway...P.S. HERE'S SOME INFORMATION POSTED FROM OTHER PEOPLE, THAT MAY HELP YOU TRY TO LOCATE A SERVICE MANUAL: Master 10/05/2002 03:22:56 Re: Epson stylus adjustment programs. You can find any service manual or service adjustment program for EPSON inkjet printers at www.otd.com.ua. ...OR... SUBJECT: SERVICE MANUALS & SERVICE PROGRAMS...POSTED ON "FIXYOUROWNPRINTER.COM" PRINTER REPAIR SITE... Eva 2/14/2003 23:31:11 Re: Epson Color Stylus Error Codes. See http://www.2MANUALS.COM - they have all service manuals and service programs. Due to them I fixed the same error on me C20! They are friendly!

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by John (1/10/04 11:30 PM) reply + / -
I had the same problem all you need to do is reset the printer by turning the printer on then push the lever to the bottom and turn the printer off,pull the lever to the top and turn the printer back on that should sort it.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Mitag (1/27/04 4:28 PM) reply + / -
Help immediately! Please!

I installed a replacement ink (not a good idea) with the Epson 900 and one one the ink chambers ran out of ink. The monitor reports the ink is still half full. I am sure it is already empty. How can I remove (and eventually replace) the ink?

Help ASAP please

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by Denny Conway (1/27/04 5:49 PM) reply + / -
Mitag: What you need to do, is to trick your printer into thinking it needs to have the ink cartridge or cartridges replaced. Have your printer turned on, with NO paper loaded and leave the Top Cover open so you can see the Printhead Assembly/Print Cartridge Holder Assembly moving during the next steps. Now push in on the center PAPER BUTTON. Watch inside your printer and you will see the printhead assembly unlock and start moving towards the left slightly. As it moves, unplug your printers power cord from the wall outlet. The cartridge holder assembly is now unlocked and can be manually moved back and forth. Now simply remove the ink cartridge that you want to change, close the lid over where the cartridge normally fits, but leave that area empty for now. Plug your printer back in and turn it on. The printer will of course not find a cartridge and the RED INK LIGHT will come on solid. Now push in on the INK BUTTON and the cartridge holder assy will move to the correct position for a new cartridge to be installed...TECH NOTE: If you just reinstall your old cartridge you will have more problems later... Once you install a new cartridge, then close the cartridge locking lever/lid [over the ink cartridge] and push in on the INK BUTTON a second time. The Printer will now assume you installed a new cartridge [which I hope you did] and go thru NEW CARTRIDGE INITIALIZATION. The solid red ink light should now be off, if everything is working correctly. Now simply try running a Nozzle Test from your Computer System and see if your printer is printing or not. If it is not printing, you can try running sets of Printhead Cleaning Cycles and Nozzle Tests to try and get those nozzles to open up again and the ink to start flowing. The only problem is that running those tests wastes a lot of ink, but you may have nothing to loose at this time. You may have to run as many as 8 to 10 sets of tests to try and get the nozzles to open up again and start printing. Remember that you have to run a nozzle test after every printhead cleaning test ran, because the nozzle test is used as a point of reference for the next cleaning test you run. If after 10 sets of tests you cannot get the printing to completely start up, you might have to try using a "Printhead Cleaning Kit" to try and get those nozzles to open up and start printing again. You might want to try using the Printhead Cleaning Kit, available through the home page on "fixyourownprinter.com", for around $10.00 plus shipping. It includes a syringe and some Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution, which is designed to dissolve most clogs, especially if you were using Epson inks. You can try it if you want to and see if you can get the printhead nozzles to open up again...If you want to see what's involved in print head cleaning, Wes has supplied a link that might help: " http://www.epsonhelp.web1000.com/printhead.html "...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by mitag (1/27/04 7:34 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Denny, will try to do that.

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 900 paper & ink lights flashing by master_s (3/26/06 2:36 AM) reply + / -
There is free download link for Service Program for Epson Photo 900 printer - http://www.2manuals.com/ap.php

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters