fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

G85xi

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

G85xi by Kevin (10/25/03 12:53 PM) reply + / -
My G85xi recently stopped printing incoming faxes and gives the error - "paper mismatch" and tells me to replace the transparency with the correct paper. I checked on the HP site and powered the printer down and the message went away and I am able to print and copy from the computer as well as send faxes. However, whenever a new fax comes in I get the mismatch error. If the paper sensor lense is the problem then how can I print? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: G85xi by Mike (10/25/03 2:49 PM) reply + / -
I have only worked on a few of these but if I remember right you only have one paper tray. Actually one paper feed area.

So if your using letter size paper for your printer and a fax comes in that is on 14 inch paper it will normally tell you it is the wrong paper size in the display.

You need to look in the book and see how to change it to the right paper size. Or reduce the incoming image to the size that will fit your paper.

Hope this helps really don't remember how to do this but have done it by turning the image size down to like 85% on incoming calls. Most of the time you can do this from the computer and from the front panel. Maybe someone else will remember how.

Re: G85xi by Bert (10/25/03 5:43 PM) reply + / -
I would have someone send a fax in 8.5 x 11 format to determine if it is a paper size mismatch. If not then I suggest doing a reset. Hold in the # and 6 buttons while plugging in power. Hold them until the display responds.

If the error still persists check for the presence of the paper sensor lens. If it is not there nothing but trouble is ahead. The lens is on the bottom of the sensor cover that is attached to the right side of the carriage. Open the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and check for a clear plastic piece on the bottom of the sensor cover. You will have to view it at a very low angle with a flashlight. If it is not there it will be in the bottom of the printer somewhere and most likely broken. HP does not supply the lens as a separate item. It may be supplied with a complete carriage assembly. Fortunately, the sensor cover is held on by only one T10 Torx screw. If the lens is missing and you want to do the repair, get back to me and I'll tell you how to do a small amount of disassembly that will be required. The carriage P/N is C6429-60162.

Re: G85xi or K60 paper mismatch by Jon (12/11/03 9:38 AM) reply + / -
Bert,

I have the same problem as Kevin, except it won't print anything. The hp partsurfer.com indicates the k60 p/n is C6426-60013, spot sensor assembly, $17.25. I'd like to attempt this repair. You offered that you could elaborate on the required disassembly and I'd like to take you up on that.

Re: G85xi by Bert (12/11/03 10:02 AM) reply + / -
If a missing lens is your problem, it is not part of the spot sensor assembly. The lens is attached to the spot sensor cover. The cover is held on by one T10 Torx screw and is easily reached by unpluging the printer with the cover open. The carriage assembly, P/N C6429-60162, is a lot cheaper than the spot sensor. All you have to do is get a new carriage and transfer the new cover to the existing carriage.

Re: G85xi/K60 Carriage Assembly by Jon (12/11/03 10:59 AM) reply + / -
According to hp partsurfer.com the carriage assembly is a restricted, not orderable part. HP Parts Direct gave me another 800 number, 800-243-9812 for locating an AST (?) that could order the part. She was very helpful but could only direct me to a Radio Shack, Best Buy or Comp USA. I don't know about your experience, but the typical employee at any of the above stores isn't what I would call an expert or even vaguely familiar with much of anything.

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (12/15/03 2:25 PM) reply + / -
That seems to be my problem too. I found a small rectangular piece of clear plastic in the paper tray area. Is that the lens and if so could it be glued back and if so how do I get at it?

Re: G85xi by Bert (12/15/03 3:32 PM) reply + / -
Congratulations! Most people apparently don't find the lens. The lens goes on the housing on the right side of the carriage. It is held on by one T10 Torx screw, that's it. Open the the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and unplug the power. Remove the two large springs and then pry the large hinge apart and the scanner will rotate about 90 degrees. The hinge is beefy and will resist but does disengage. Don't try to remove the scanner or you will rip out the cables between it and the electronics board.

Re: G85xi by Anonymous (12/15/03 4:36 PM) reply + / -
OK got the lens in and it still didn't work. I also found a small maybe 1/16 inch square piece that looks almost like a small mirror. Could that be out of the paper alignment sensor and be the cause of my continued failure?

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (12/15/03 4:39 PM) reply + / -
Oops I am not anonymous just forgot to log in

Re: G85xi by Bert (12/15/03 5:16 PM) reply + / -
The small piece of glass does go in the sensor. You will notice a square indentation under the the clear lens. The glass goes in it with the coated side toward the small hole inside the indentation.

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (12/15/03 9:04 PM) reply + / -
Thanks Bert. I did it all and I am pretty sure I got the glass in right but still the same error. I think I need a new sensor so will try to come up with one. Thanks again Bert.

Re: G85xi by Stephen (12/16/03 7:00 AM) reply + / -
Part number you need is C6426-60013, spot sensor assembly, the lens is part of the assembly, yes I'm sure, I've got one in a box on my desk right now.

Before I install one of these I put a little bit of plastic epoxy here and there around the lens, then it doesn't break off.

The spot sensor does not come with a carriage.

I've also used a soldering iron to plastic weld lenses back into place when I didn't have a spare sensor asm.

Re: G85xi by Jon (12/16/03 7:34 AM) reply + / -
According to Bert's post on 12/11/03 at 10:02, the lense is not part of the sensor assembly. However, per Stephen on 12/16 at 7:00, it is. I guess if he's got one in the box, that's a pretty good assumption. I ordered the p/n Stephen referenced. When I get it, I'll let y'all know. Thanks

Re: G85xi by Bert (12/16/03 9:22 AM) reply + / -
I confess that I messed up. The lens is not part of the sensor housing put rather attached to the printed circuit board inside. Sorry if sent some of you on a wild goose chase. Should have known better since I have replaced them before.

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (12/16/03 9:30 AM) reply + / -
No problem this has really helped I think. We will see in a few days when it gets here. Are there any alignment considerations or does it only go in a certain position?

Re: G85xi by Stephen (12/16/03 11:19 AM) reply + / -
Just put it in, no alignment, need a torx T10 driver. Just changed a carriage in a DeskJet 935 about an hour ago, so I'm sure about that too, (same carriage in 935/970/G85 etc).

Re: G85xi, which part? by Will (1/3/04 9:14 AM) reply + / -
So what's the final word, do I buy the carriage assembly (C6429-60162) or the spot sensor housing assembly (C6426-60013)? Bert said the carriage assembly was significantly cheaper, but why would that be cheaper than an individual part of it (the spot sensor assembly)? What should I get? Thanks.

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (1/3/04 10:03 AM) reply + / -
I don't think the carriage assembly has the part attached to it. Got the spot sensor but have not put it in yet but it does have the lens and all

Re: G85xi by Bert (1/3/04 12:14 PM) reply + / -
The spot sensor cannot be seen because it is under the cover on the right side of the carriage. The cover is held in place by one T10 Torx screw. To access it see my 12/15/2003 post on this tread. Ignore the bogus location of the lens.

Re: G85xi by Richard Wilcox (1/3/04 1:31 PM) reply + / -
Well guys spot sensor is in. It fixed it!!!! Yea!!!! Part was as listed above C6426-60013 less than $25 shipped. Thanks to all especially to Bert.

Re: G85xi by Isaiah Pascoe (1/21/04 11:02 AM) reply + / -
OK, guys, my G85xi has been giving me the runaround for about a week now, so since youall are experienced with this I will hand it over to you. The unit Initializes and then all it does is say "Paper Jam." I have taken it fully apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and have yet to get any good response from it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: G85xi by Bert (1/21/04 10:52 PM) reply + / -
If the printer trys to eject a non existent piece of paper when you turn it on, check the paper sensor, particularly if you removed a real paper jam before the problem started. Looking from the rear with the access door removed, the paper sensor is the lever-like device between the two left feed rollers toward the top. If it is not there or out of place, then that is your problem.

Always remove paper jams from the rear. You can break the paper pusher fingers if you remove them from the front (then you are in for a world of problems).

Re: G85xi by Jon (1/31/04 3:18 PM) reply + / -
Just received my part in the mail, C6426-60013, spot sensor assembly. (It came with the cable, as well.) I made the switch and the printer works great! So, instead of junking the printer, as I was advised by hp, and giving them another $300-$400, I spent $25.00 and have a working printer. Thanks to Bert and the rest for the great advice.

Re: G85xi by Tali (2/1/04 9:14 PM) reply + / -
My G85xi will not print a full page. IT stops and says carraige jam. I open the door, press enter, it continues to print and then stops again. IT also is making this horrible creeking sound when it pulls the paper. Any suggestions??

Re: G85xi by Bert (2/2/04 12:12 AM) reply + / -
The carriage rod may have too much friction, i.e. it needs to be lubricated. Open the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and unplug the power. Clean the carriage rod with alcohol if you can get to it. Be careful or you may disconnect the encoder strip. There is a felt washer on each side of the carriage that lubricates and cleans the rod. They are be a bit hard to see, but add a few drops of Tri-Flow to the washers. You can get it in a 2 oz. squeeze bottle at cycle shops (make sure you get the extension tube). If cleaning the carriage rod seems too risky, just do the lubrication.

Creeking sound...? Open the rear access door and clean the feed rollers with a damp cloth. If that helps, a better fix is to use rubber rejuvenator.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kkx3.html

Tip: If you get a paper jam, always remove it from the rear.

G85xi by Anonymous (3/11/04 8:25 AM) reply + / -
What a GREAT FORUM!

When trying to send a fax, the printer tells me that I need to lay it on the scanner.
I use to be able to send it through the paper feed.
It will no longer go through the paper feed.
HP is saying that I need a new cover assemby to fix it, because the sensor is not a replaceable part.
Is this true?
It seems that everything is fine except for the sensor that tells the machine that there is paper in the feed chute.

Any suggestions?

Re: G85xi by Bert (3/11/04 1:22 PM) reply + / -
HP does not sell the part. Three are used. Each sensor is made of a device that uses a lever (flag) to interrupt an infrared light beam. Perhaps a flag is out of place. The flag is moved when paper is loaded. Search the Internet using google.com if you actually need a new part. The P/N is C5365-60629 (Flag and Cable Assembly).

Re: G85xi by Dan (3/15/04 11:50 AM) reply + / -
I'm getting a clunk from the carriage and find that the right side will easily lift up off the carriage rod maybe 1/4". Is there an adjustment or did something break? I can't see anything in there broken..

Re: G85 by Bill (3/31/04 1:58 PM) reply + / -
I have a problem receiving fax's. It will print a few lines then stop printing. Can't receive a complete fax. Anyone heard of this? Thanks for any help.

Re: G85xi by Bert (3/31/04 3:10 PM) reply + / -
I assume that you can print and copy. Can you send faxs?

Possibilities
1.The cable going between the fax input and the telephone wall jack is defective.
2. The cable in not securly connected to your Officejet or the telephone wall jack.
3. Your telephone line is noisy. Attach a telephone to your fax line and press any number on the phone. The line should be essentially silent, no humming or crackling.

Re: G85xi by Bill (4/1/04 7:31 AM) reply + / -
Thanks very much Bert, I checked the things you suggested, that does not seem to be the problem. I can print and copy just fine. When I get a fax it prints only a few lines and stops. I went back and throught the menu selected maint - print fax from memory and it printed a few more lines but not the complete fax. I am wondering if it uses a seperate memory for incomming fax messages and maybe that memory is bad? Do you have any other idea's? I appreciate your help.

Re: G85xi by Jeff (4/7/04 7:44 PM) reply + / -
Hi Bert,
I have the same problem as this guy did with the "Clean carritage jam and then press enter" with my G85xi. See note below:

I have checket the back paper jam sensor and it is free and not stuck in the jam location across the opto sensor.

I have replaced both print carritages, no change.
Also one thing that I notice is that the print caritage assy. do not move freely. It keep hanging up on the bottom tabs that hold the paper up. Is this normal?
Thank for your help,
Jeff T.

OK, guys, my G85xi has been giving me the runaround for about a week now, so since youall are experienced with this I will hand it over to you. The unit Initializes and then all it does is say "Paper Jam." I have taken it fully apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and have yet to get any good response from it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bert

1/21/2004
22:52:41

Re: G85xi

If the printer trys to eject a non existent piece of paper when you turn it on, check the paper sensor, particularly if you removed a real paper jam before the problem started. Looking from the rear with the access door removed, the paper sensor is the lever-like device between the two left feed rollers toward the top. If it is not there or out of place, then that is your problem.

Always remove paper jams from the rear. You can break the paper pusher fingers if you remove them from the front (then you are in for a world of problems).

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/7/04 11:47 PM) reply + / -
I suggest a soft and/or mechanical reset. The web page below refers to the Photosmart series but the G85 shares the print mechanism with many of them. If you can endure some techno talk, keep reading.
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpy21043

There should never be an obstruction in the travel path of the carriage. If the carriage is hitting the paper pusher fingers, (three assuming none are broken off) this is a malfunction. The paper pusher fingers are suppose to be all the way forward when the printer is not printing. When the printer feeds paper they retract. When a page is finished printing they pop up and push the paper into the paper tray.

A explanation of how the paper sensor works (what you referred to as the 'paper jam sensor') is in order. The G85 does not sense directly if there is paper in the paper tray. Instead it tries to feed paper and waits for the paper sensor to detect the paper. If no paper is detected, the printer assumes that there is no paper and displays an 'out of paper message'. If the paper is detected, the paper is queued up for printing. If paper is detected when it should not be present, the printer will attempt to eject it. If it cannot or the paper sensor is malfunctioning, an error is displayed.

Re: G85xi by John (4/9/04 3:24 PM) reply + / -
Can anyone tell me the difference between a G85 and a G85xi ??

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/9/04 4:47 PM) reply + / -
The G85xi is a downgraded version of the G85. The G85xi stores fewer speed dial numbers, offers less copy magnification, fewer maximum copies, and less fax memory. Everything else is the same.

Re: G85xi by Craig (4/13/04 7:23 AM) reply + / -
I am getting a Paper mismatch error when I receive a fax or print a test page from fax setup on the K60. Are the instructions for finding and replacing the paper sensor the same as the ones for the G85xi?

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/13/04 12:31 PM) reply + / -
Yes.

Re: G85xi by Hugo (4/15/04 2:22 PM) reply + / -
First of all, thank you for all the great info here. I am trying to fix a G85 that is having a problem pushing each printed piece into the paper tray. When the next piece is printed, the carriage bumps into it. If that doesn't jam things up, the next piece of paper careening into it does. I suspect, from reading above, that the paper pushers aren't doing their job - but am not sure how to troubleshoot this further.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/15/04 4:37 PM) reply + / -
The paper pusher is three retractable fingers in front of the paper output rollers. Just as the paper paper picks up from the paper tray, they retract backwards. At the instant the paper exits the output rollers, they pop up and push the paper into the output tray. There may be less than three or none of the fingers left. They typically get broken off because paper jams are removed from the front rather than through the rear access door.

Re: G85xi by Hugo (4/16/04 6:46 AM) reply + / -
Thanks for the quick response. I'm coming into this repair half way through, but I do know there was a bad jam in there. So, I've watched very carefully what's going on in there as the paper comes through - and I can see the mechanism that rises up as the paper starts coming through. What I can't see if exactly where the paper pushers are (or where). There's no obvious sign of anything having broken off though. Is there an exploded view of this area available, that would pin-point where I should be looking? And is this a user-replaceable part? Thanks again for your help.

G85xi Pic of sensor by Cory (4/16/04 10:59 AM) reply-1 + / -
I read this post and it solved my problem. This is the second time a this site has saved a printer for me so I thought I would give a little back. In the advice above people had suggested that the lens my be missing from the spot sensor and to look around inside for it. Not knowing what it looked like I wasn’t quite sure if mine was missing. When I got the part from HP it was obvious but I thought I would post a pic so that others can see what the difference is.

http://phaedrus/G85_spot_sensor.htm

Thanks a million! Or at least a couple hundred. <g>

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/16/04 1:16 PM) reply + / -
Hugo
The paper pusher fingers retract into the gaps between the rubber output rollers when a print job is in process. When the printer is idle the fingers will be standing straight up. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. If you have access to a Deskjet 900 series, check it for reference, they have essentially the same mechanism. They offer a much more accessable veiw of the mechanism.

Re: G85xi by Hugo (4/17/04 11:32 AM) reply + / -
Bert - Thank you again. Your last reply finally helped me to see where the pushers had indeed been broken off - all three of them. With a flashlight I was able to see the rough edges of the broken plastic. Do you know if this is an orderable part? Thanks again for all your quick and detailed help.

Re: G85xi by Bert (4/17/04 12:35 PM) reply + / -
The part was orderable the last time I checked. Replacing the paper pusher involves a lot of disassemly but many people have successfully done the repair.

Some Precautions
First, I would not start this project until I had the new part in hand (P/N C6429-40031). Second, check the Service Station sump for liquid ink. If there is it complicates the repair. You will have to tilt the printer and liquid ink may spill. Removing and cleaning the Service Station is another issue

Preliminary
Turn on the power. Open the printer as if you are going to change a cartridge and then unplug the power.

Removing the rear cover.
Looking from the rear, remove the T20 Torx screw on the left. This will allow you to remove the LIU (Line Interface Unit) cover and unplug the LIU. There are two push latches underneath that release the rear panel. It will hinge upward.

Cables
Removing the rear panel will reveal some cables connected to the scanner. Disconnect them.

Removing the Scanner
Tilt the scanner upward as if you are going to access the cartridges. You will see two large springs. Remove them. The front of the scanner pivots on two large hinges. Pry them apart with a slot style screwdriver. They will resist but will release and allow the scanner to rotate upwards. Rotate the scanner approximately 90 degrees and it will lift off of it's rear hinges. Use caution as you remove it in case you do not have all of the cables previously mentioned disconnected.

Removing the rest of the case
There is a flat piece held on by four T10 Torx screws and two side covers that will hinge outward when two T10 Torx screws on each one are removed. When the side covers hinge outward they can be removed.

Removing the Fixed Paper Handler
1. Slide out the paper drawer and release it by pressing the button that's off center to the right.
2. Look into the cavity where the drawer was. You will see a shiny piece of metal about 1"X2". Take note of its location because it may fall out before you're finished (not a problem to reinstall).
3. Remove the paper handler body (there may be two wires that need to be unplugged before it will come free from printer). To do this release the two claw latches on the underside of the printer and pull the handler body straight out.

Removing the Paper Pusher
1. Remove the right and left Wing Frame Asms. These widgets have the spring-loaded flappers on them. They are held in place by two small claw latches. Be careful because the latches are easily broken.
2. Rotate the rubber rollers toward you. This will raise a bar that will allow removal of the Rail that retains the Paper Pusher. Before lifting it out note the tab that raises and lowers the Paper Pusher. If this is not reengaged properly on reinstallation the Paper Pusher will not work.
3. Lift out the Paper Pusher and Rail Assembly. The Paper Pusher will snap out of the Rail.

If you've gotten this far without giving up you should have no problem reassembling the printer.

Re: G85xi by Hugo (4/17/04 1:49 PM) reply + / -
Thanks again. We'll give it a shot.

Hugo

Re: G85xi by robbot66 (6/7/05 11:26 AM) reply + / -
When following the procedure to remove the paper pusher, I got stuck removing the fixed paper handler. I cant seem to find or recognize the "claw" latches on the underside of the printer. I doo see where the piece of metal's tab comes through but that doesn't see to have anything to do with releasing the paper handler. Can you help, once again? Thanks, Robert.

Re: G85xi by Anonymous (9/19/05 1:37 PM) reply + / -
Hi everyone, I am also having the mismatch error, and am trying to order C6426-60013, as listed in this thread. The only thing is, HP no longer sells this part and HP Partfinder.com does not list any prices. I called HP and they sent me to Ambry.com, which has the part listed for $85.00. I know some of you here have spent $25.00 for the part. For those of you who know, where can I get this part for a decent price? Thanks

Re: G85xi by wj jubb (11/27/05 6:14 PM) reply + / -
Got 2 with various problems will sell both for $75 total

Call me 408 666-6201

Re: Re: G85xi by Printer Novice (2/1/08 2:37 PM) reply + / -
This is just the same thing I read but I need to see a diagram or picture of what you are talking about. Thanks

Re: G85xi by Bert (edited 2/1/08 5:20 PM) reply + / -
Email me by clicking on the crossed tools to the right of my name. Ask for a G85 spot sensor or paper pusher photo. I don't know which one you are referring to.

Re: G85xi by kenaud (3/21/08 10:48 AM) reply + / -
I have a hp G85xi printer which is completely dead. No lights on the display and no movements at all. The power cord has 20Vdc and the LED glows.
Eagerly awaiting your help. A service manual will go a long way.

Best Regards
Ken
kenaud@sisterisles.kn

Re: G85xi by Bert (3/21/08 9:52 PM) reply + / -
Sent email response.

Re: G85xi by hp-printer-dave (3/23/08 11:28 PM) reply + / -
It is probably the infamous dead main power box. It is fairly rare to go dead but if so, a replacement power supply box is hard to find & tha last one I priced was $100. I did puck up a good used G-85 for $25 from my state government re-sale center where they almost give away old equipment. The external power supply almost never goes bad & with a green light on it is good. The internal power supply also has all other ribbon cables & wire harnesses plugged into it. You can view the back of it by removing the rectangular back door with the twist knob. Then, remove the 2 star -- #20 size torx screws on the left & right rear cover. Also un-plug the auto feeder cable from the back. With screws removed, hang the back of the printer just a little over the ledge of the bench in front of you & push up from the bottom on the 2 clips on either side of the rear plastic & it will hinge up from the bottom. You will see the white ribbon cables plugged into the culprit power box -- metal cage.

Re: G85xi by aixrs6k (7/3/08 8:55 AM) reply + / -
Does anyone have a diagram of INSIDE the G85x1? Specifically, the RIBBON cable that connecs to the Ink Cartridege? It was pulled out and i need to know how to reconnect it. Thanks!

Re: G85xi by moe (7/3/08 9:20 AM) reply + / -
There isn't anything that would show that. It's real simple. The strip goes through the center of the cartridge carrier, to be specific there is a slot that passes through an optical sensor. Then look for the metal hooks at either end. The strip will point directly at them once threaded through. One side is a flexible tensioner. Orientation of the strip doesn't matter.

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters