fixyourownprinter.com
  Home    Reference    Forums  
  Printer Repair | Laser | InkJet | Chat | SearchSign In | Sign Up  

EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out?

Post to this thread   Post a new message thread

EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Rod (6/22/03 9:43 PM) reply + / -
I have a friend with a newer Epson printer. I don't know the model number but it is a lower end printer. Recently his printer stopped printing because the color cartridge ran out of ink. Since he doesn't care about printing in color, he changed the setting to "Black" printing mode but it seems the machine won't print in any mode if either cartridge is out of ink. He knows the black ink cartridge is good (because he just replaced it) and thinks it's a rip off to have to buy a new color cartridge when he just wants to print in black. Is there any way around this, to get the printer to print in black again without buying a new color cartridge?
Thanks in advance for any help!
===Rod===

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Denny Conway (6/23/03 1:14 PM) reply + / -
Rod: As an "Epson Authorized Service Dealer", there's only so much information and help that I can legally give. An Epson Printer [Ink Jet Style] has to have two good ink cartridges in it to be able to print. If the red ink light is on solid, then the printer will not allow printing at all. Even if you reset the color cartridge to fool the printer, you would just be causing more problems in the near future. If you were to reset the old color cartridge, the printer would assume you put in a new cartridge and reset the internal ink counter. The printer would not know when the color ran out completely, thinking it still had lots of ink left. Air would get into the printhead nozzles, causing them to dry out and clog. Its possible that you could not successfully get those color nozzles to reopen again. You cannot just turn off the color ink system, to be able to only use the black. Remember that everytime you do a printing job or perform a printhead cleaning cycle, ink is being used up. If the ink in the color nozzle just set there all the time, while you were just printing in black, the ink inside the printhead nozzles would eventually go bad, then dry out and clog...Denny Conway

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Kristina (6/27/03 11:55 AM) reply + / -
I've had the same problem as Rod's friend. Just to be clear, are you saying that there is no way to print a document using the black ink cartridge ONLY? In order to print something black you have to mix color in with it??

I've set all of my options to print in black & white, yet my color cartridge ran out before my black one did!! Now I can't print anything! Is there anyway around this? I for one cannot afford to piss away money on printer cartridges every month or so.

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Denny Conway (7/2/03 5:36 PM) reply + / -
Kristina: First thing is that I'm sorry that I could not reply until now. I was off work from 6/26 until 7/2, while I moved my parents approximatly 300 miles, to live with my wife and I. There was of course, a lot of work that came in while I was gone, so I had to catch up on customers printers and equipment, before I could once again help out. I only help on the "printer repair site" when I have the free time. As I work for a company, my job has to come first...You don't have to use your color cartridge, but your printer has to have a good color cartridge installed to be able to even print in black. Once the solid red color light/LED comes on, it locks out the printers operation, until the cartridge has been replaced. There is no way around the solid ink light, to be able to just print in the remaining black ink, that I know of...AGAIN: Even if you reset the color cartridge to fool the printer, you would just be causing more problems in the near future. If you were to reset the old color cartridge, the printer would assume you put in a new cartridge and reset the internal ink counter. The printer would not know when the color ran out completely, thinking it still had lots of ink left. Air would get into the printhead nozzles, causing them to dry out and clog. Its possible that you could not successfully get those color nozzles to reopen again. You cannot just turn off the color ink system, to be able to only use the black. Remember that everytime you do a printing job or perform a printhead cleaning cycle, ink is being used up. If the ink in the color nozzle just set there all the time, while you were just printing in black, the ink inside the printhead nozzles would eventually go bad, then dry out and clog...Denny Conway

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Paul McAllister (9/13/03 3:07 PM) reply + / -
CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!

I just bought my first black refill for my Photo 820 then I came here to find out why my printer still won't print. IT'S A 70 DOLLAR PRINTER AND A 50 DOLLAR REFILL. I'll never buy an Epson product again let alone an ink jet printer (NOBODY PRINTS IN COLOR). It's a friggin ink racket. I'm going back to laserjets.

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by john (9/17/03 7:18 PM) reply + / -
I know, I'll never buy an epson again. I'll
probably put a website on my server and call
epson sucks. I bought an epson c82. I've had it
about 3 months. It says it is out of yellow ink.
I replaced it with a new epson ink cartridge,
still the same thing. I thought maybe it was a
bad cartidge. I bought another set of ink cartridges.
Still the same thing. I can't even print black. If
they can't figure a way around this issue, I'll
sure do my part to let people know what I think about
them!

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Denny Conway (9/22/03 4:32 PM) reply + / -
John: If your printer is only three months old, it is still under warranty and Epson will send you a replacement printer. Just call the "Epson Customer Relations Department" at 1-562-276-1311 and they will create a warranty claim for you and a WHOLE UNIT EXCHANGE will take place. They will send you a replacement printer, along with a return shipping label, to send back the defective printer...Good Luck! Denny Conway

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by jim (11/28/03 12:09 PM) reply + / -
Get ink at www.inkjets.com.. you get 3 color and 3 b@w ink refils for $40 or less! Don't go with OEM carts which price gouge like there is no tomorrow.

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by jim (11/28/03 12:10 PM) reply + / -
You may find better deals at:

http://www.ink4art.com/index-epson.asp

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by jazz (11/30/03 2:16 AM) reply + / -
Have you tried the SSC Service Utility
for Epson Stylus Printers?
http://inkjetprinterhelp.us/epsonSSC.html

Re: EPSON How to print in black when color ink is out? by Poetrysonglady (12/28/13 7:05 AM) reply + / -
I bought this printer because I had a Cannon in the past with individual color ink cartridges. My grandchildren put part of an orange in it and ruined it.(Children do a lot of weird things) Why buy one that has one refill with all the colors in one cartridge. I am royally ticked off about this issue. I can afford the ink but will just go out and find a different printer and give this one to goodwill. You can bet the next one I get will not be Epson! What happened to recycling to help the earth? They used to tar and feather people....better than a firing squad. Epson get your head out of your rear end!

Post to this thread:

User:
Email:
Notify me if someone responds

Icon:            
Subject:

© 2012 fixyourownprinter.com, All posts belong to their respective posters